Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aiden Markram - South Africa's next batting star

He seems to be the complete package

young,technically good,leadership qualities and has an excellent record across all formats. capable of playing both attacking and defensive cricket.

with amla on the decline and de villiers and du plessis both into their 30s and duminy retiring the stage is set for him to cement himself in all formats

him and de kock will be the batsmen to form their backbone for the next decade

"To Became A Good Player, You Need Talent. To Became A Great Player You Need An Attitude Like Kohli" - Sunil Gavaskar

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heard a lot about him.He's been compared to Graeme Smith,but I would wait until he plays a few more games to pass any sort of judgement.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor guy got run out on 97....

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Dhaka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He played very well against potent bd bowlers.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark my words - He is the future SA captain. Keaton Jennings isn't a loss because he wouldn't have been able to make the team anyway because of this legend of a batsman that SA have gotten on their hands. It is a shock to me how they keep producing such talented batsmen every now and then.

Him and Quinton will move mountains to make SA the numero unu of world cricket with Faf and Bavuma on their side.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    NB, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    he will win a world cup for the proteas, mark my words..

Babar Azam: Runs 8032, Average 44, Top Score: 204, Fav fan: CricFan2012

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricFan2012 View Post
    he will win a world cup for the proteas, mark my words..
    We shall remind you, these words
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 14th November 2017 at 19:17.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He averages 40 plus in list A so should not be an issue making into the side post De Villiers and company retirement in 2019
    SA will win a WC under him I have a strong feeling
    He is the only captain in their history to have won an ICC U19 WC in 2014 which is till date the only ICC WC SA has..

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Future Graeme Smith in the making

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    900 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    900 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Announced as SA's stand-in captain already against India, due to injuries to Faf/AB etc. He's just played 2 ODIs....

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A future captain no doubt . But surprised that he has been given the captaincy when he hasn't even cemented his place in the team.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After Faf retirement, it will be interesting to see who get the throne. If Markaram gets the nod, he will be leading a side which will have two senior big names -Elgar and Qdk who never got the captaincy chance.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Logic dictates that making Markram captain is quite bizarre, mais they did this before with Smith with super results. C'est compliqué. de Kock has a lot on his plate already and Amla probably detests the extra responsibility, there aren't many options left with de Villiers also injured.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NO AB and now no Faf, what is the point of even playing this series. 5-0 on the cards.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is unfair to give him captaincy so early in his career especially when he hasn't cemented a place in the team as @Hasan123 said but it will be interesting to see how he does. But if he does fail people should not criticize him.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadBall View Post
    NO AB and now no Faf, what is the point of even playing this series. 5-0 on the cards.
    Just because 2 main players injured..!.. Game must go on, these kind of situations will provide opportunity for some new players to shine. JAMODI's are meant for preparing teams for WC & CT.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianFan2018 View Post
    Just because 2 main players injured..!.. Game must go on, these kind of situations will provide opportunity for some new players to shine. JAMODI's are meant for preparing teams for WC & CT.
    Yeah they are shining real bright as you can see.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah they are shining real bright as you can see.
    Will take time for new players to find feet at International level. Kohli was not doing so good in his first AUS tour, Dhoni and team mgmt kept faith in him kept him in playing eleven inspite of failures, finally he came good in Sydney Test IIRC. I was working in Melbourne during India series to AUS in 2011-12; also saw my first live Test and ODI @MCG. All my friends were so astonished to see young Kohli running around in big MCG ground just to give high five to some good fielding. Even though that tour was disastrous for us, we found King Kohli

Similarly SA may get good youngster in this adversity ..zondo, Makram or some one else !
    Last edited by IndianFan2018; 4th February 2018 at 12:17.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will take time for new players to find feet at International level. Kohli was not doing so good in his first AUS tour, Dhoni and team mgmt kept faith in him kept him in playing eleven inspite of failures, finally he came good in Sydney Test IIRC. I was working in Melbourne during India series to AUS in 2011-12; also saw my first live Test and ODI @MCG. All my friends were so astonished to see young Kohli running around in big MCG ground just to give high five to some good fielding. Even though that tour was disastrous for us, we found King Kohli

Similarly SA may get good youngster in this adversity ..zondo, Makram or some one else !
    Just a correction. He scored a 40 and 70 odd at Perth in the 3rd test. And in the 4th test at Adelaide he scored his first hundred.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WengerOut View Post
    Just a correction. He scored a 40 and 70 odd at Perth in the 3rd test. And in the 4th test at Adelaide he scored his first hundred.
    Thanks for correcting me ...that Tour was one of the big turning point for king Kohli

Dhoni was proved right

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But making Markram ODI captain is real stupid move by CSA, they should have waited till he establish as regular in playing 11.

If Markram fails whole series ... may create long term damage to his confidence!

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Poor guy was thrust into a foxhole with a felt tip pen.

2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leatherface58 View Post
    Poor guy was thrust into a foxhole with a felt tip pen.
    Yea, not everyone will have success like SRT so early in career. Even SRT scored his first century after 70 matches IIRC.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Both of them are injured not rested.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Both of them are injured not rested.
    And what is your point? Without them SA are currently useless. I also find it funny how ABDV, Steyn (Like Shakib) etc find a way to get injured a lot recently

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has a huge problem now with the Indians !!!!! Down 2-0 and couple of their Super
    Stars missing in action at least for one more ODI. The Indians have smelled the blood in the water .... so it is going to be a Trial by Fire for SAs !!!!!

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, not everyone will have success like SRT so early in career. Even SRT scored his first century after 70 matches IIRC.
    SRT batted at lower-middle order for his first 70 matches. Once he became opener he changed completely.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    900 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Give stand-in captain more time, Kohli urges

Indian batting superstar Virat Kohli has pleaded with South Africans to show patience and not judge young South African stand-in captain Aiden Markram too harshly.

The 23-year-old Markram took over the captaincy duties after Faf du Plessis’s injury in the first ODI in Durban and South Africa lost four of the five matches he was in charge of by big margins, leading to questions about the decision to give him the responsibility.

“It is not easy when the results don’t go your way but I have been very impressed with him as a batsman and as a captain‚” Kohli said after the sixth and final ODI in Centurion.

“He is very composed from what I saw on the field. He is someone who does not lose his cool and that is a positive thing.

“He has captained his province‚ at junior level as well, and I will suggest that people show patience with him because he is potentially your next leader.

“I totally empathise with him because I have been in that position and all I can say is that he is on the right track.”

Markram only scored 127 runs in his six innings during the series with a high score of 32 and admitted that the responsibility of leading had somehow affected his batting.

“The coach [Ottis Gibson] has the full right to say that maybe the captaincy affected my batting in the series, looking with a naked eye. Maybe it was due to the pressure of being in the zone and worrying about other things.

“We chatted about it, and on Friday when I batted I felt comfortable and paced my innings the way I wanted to, like in a franchise game.

“There is a lot of pressure as an individual to do well because I have set high standards for myself‚” Markram said‚ adding that they were disappointed after losing the series, but not embarrassed.

“Embarrassing is a harsh word, but we were not up to the standard that we would have liked and we are disappointed as a squad.

“We put a lot of hard work in behind the scenes.” – TimesLIVE

http://www.heraldlive.co.za/sport/20...e-kohli-urges/

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    900 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Markram signs county deal with Durham

Cape Town - Proteas opener Aiden Markram has signed a deal with English side Durham for the early part of the 2018 County Championship season.

The 22-year-old Markram, who captained the Proteas in the recent ODI series against India, will join up with the county before the first game of the season against Kent in April and will stay on until the middle of May.

New Zealand batsman Tom Latham, who played for Durham in the English summer, will take over as the overseas player when Markram leaves.

England legend and current Durham chairman, Ian Botham, said: "Aiden offers confidence and maturity at the top of the batting order and despite being just 23 years old, he has already been recognised by South Africa as a leader in the dressing room.

"It's great news that we will have Aiden at the beginning of our Championship campaign, especially with Tom Latham, Ben Stokes and Mark Wood all missing due to their international and IPL commitments.

"We're delighted to have both Aiden and Tom at Emirates Riverside this season and I am confident they will both contribute to what we hope will be a successful season."

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Pr...urham-20180226

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    900 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Now a hundred against Australia. Excellent start to his career.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Could I see any young Pakistani batsman play an innings like Markram has today - answer, no chance

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm watching it, what an inning under so much pressure and from a no hope position. Certainly a man with nerves of steel, a future test captain also.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Could I see any young Pakistani batsman play an innings like Markram has today - answer, no chance
    Unfair to compare Pak batsmen to SA's, Aus, Ind's batsmen. They have a much better environment to flourish in, much better mentors, much better pitches, much better domestic cricket.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Markram played a gem of an innings.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry de Kock but the next South African captain has cemented his place now with a brilliant 141.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the best innings he will ever play. Would have been an ATG knock if he carried his team over the line.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I would like to see him bat at four in Tests in the near future. It's clear that after the retirement of Amla, AB and Faf this guy will be far and away South Africa's best bat.
    I'd adopt a similar strategy to Kirsten-Kallis, i.e. protect the mental midgets and fragile middle order by allowing them to bat around these two.

Have Elgar open with whoever gets discovered. Batting at number three is still too high in SA conditions, especially for your best bat. No. 4 is just about right.

I like players who keep the scoreboard ticking without playing dangerous strokes. He always picks up the pace when settled. Usually strikes at 60 after 90 odd deliveries, no matter how slow he starts.

Should have a stint in England to fine tune his technique against the moving ball.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    Probably the best innings he will ever play. Would have been an ATG knock if he carried his team over the line.
    I think he has more up his sleeve. Had we won, then yes, you can only chase 400 once in your career. He'll play plenty of match/series defining knocks in his career.

He is stubborn, reminds me of Kallis. But he must stop opening in Tests if he's to fulfill his potential.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant century in previous match.He looked in good touch in SA first innings also

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatta Start to his Test career, batting on 53*
    He just keeps on scoring runs. Amazing to watch

We will never surrender. We win or we die. And don't think it stops there. You will have the next generation to fight; and after the next, the next.

OMAR MUKHTAR

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He already has 143 & 85 in this series. SA's next great batsmen after AB and Amla.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He looks like a top batsman so far.Now lets see how he does outside home

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such an elegant batsman, love watching him drive the ball, especially on the back foot.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    How was Heino Kuhn picked ahead of Aidan Markram in England last summer ?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I love his ability to up the tempo without doing anything stupid.
    He'll be 15 of 50 balls. Should he survive the early onslaught, you'll see him on 70 of 105 later. Incredible, I'd love for him to bat at 4 once AB goes.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Markram and Rabada - only two SA players to have won a ICC WC - both looking like they will end up being legends in their own right. Could even end up winning the WC for their team sooner than later.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a poor tour, he's back in form. What a hundred.
    Last edited by DeadBall; 30th March 2018 at 13:56.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The poise, the elegence, the spark in eye, the charismatic aura,Markram is on path to greatness

Long way to go lad

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What a player!!!

SA have found the successor to ABD.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Saffers just keep finding such amazing players one after the other. If you look at their overall history as a cricketing nation, they are probably only second to Australia when it comes to consistently finding gems.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Saffers just keep finding such amazing players one after the other. If you look at their overall history as a cricketing nation, they are probably only second to Australia when it comes to consistently finding gems.
    Actually South Africa are more consistent than Australia.
    Apart from the Bradman team (Bradman to be exact) and the great Australian side of the 90's and early 2000's Australia haven't produced anything spectacular.

SA in every decade produce one decent bat and one decent bowler. Donald would have made his debut in the 80's would have played alongside Peter Kirsten and the rest.
    90's Pollock and Kallis.
    2000's Smith, Amla, Steyn and AB.
    2010's Philander, QdK Rabada, Ngidi and Makram.

Since the 70's we've produced better players than Australia. The only difference is that their great team got to play together, whereas ours was banned. Hence this misled aura of Australia, they were not even in the top two in the 70's and 80's and SA was not even around. We would have smoked them until the late 90's. 2008 would have been seen as the resumption of our dominance of Australia.

Pound for pound we've produced better cricketers, our problem is that we just can't get them to play together though. Steyn and Rabada should have played 25 Tests between them already.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a guy who started his career last September , he is just 37 short of 1000 runs now. Wonder where his position is in reaching 1000 runs quickly wrt time !!

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    ^^^ G. Smith did so by his 17 innings thanks to back to back double tons in England 2003.
    Not sure who the quickest is though.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soso_killer View Post
    Actually South Africa are more consistent than Australia.
    Apart from the Bradman team (Bradman to be exact) and the great Australian side of the 90's and early 2000's Australia haven't produced anything spectacular.

SA in every decade produce one decent bat and one decent bowler. Donald would have made his debut in the 80's would have played alongside Peter Kirsten and the rest.
    90's Pollock and Kallis.
    2000's Smith, Amla, Steyn and AB.
    2010's Philander, QdK Rabada, Ngidi and Makram.

Since the 70's we've produced better players than Australia. The only difference is that their great team got to play together, whereas ours was banned. Hence this misled aura of Australia, they were not even in the top two in the 70's and 80's and SA was not even around. We would have smoked them until the late 90's. 2008 would have been seen as the resumption of our dominance of Australia.

Pound for pound we've produced better cricketers, our problem is that we just can't get them to play together though. Steyn and Rabada should have played 25 Tests between them already.
    I somewhat agree although Aus had a very strong team in the mid 70's before WI took over. The Chappel brothers and Lillee/Thompson were an awesome combination.

80's, they had Border and some good but not exceptional bowlers

Late 80's- late 2000's: tons of great players.

Since then they have had Snith and one of Cummins/Hazlewood is destined to end up as ATG.

Still, i somewhat agree. SA have produced so many exceptional players, particularly since their comeback in 92

Post 92 SA:

1. Smith
    2. Kirsten
    3. Amla
    4. Kallis
    5. AB
    6. De Kock
    7. Boucher
    8. Philander
    9. Pollock
    10. Steyn
    11. Donald

Post 92 Aus:

1. Hayden
    2. Taylor/Langer
    3. Ponting
    4. Waugh, Steve
    5. Smith (yes, no apologies here)
    6. Clarke
    7. Gilchrist
    8. Johnson
    9. Warne
    10. Gillespie
    11. McGrath

SA might just have a better team post 92, maybe

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Markaram, de Kock, Rabada

And there is a thread called "Are South Africa minnows?".

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He will win South Africa a world cup one day, Mark my words.