Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    698 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"It was a dream for me to become a Test cricketer and now that is complete" : Haris Sohail

Haris Sohail was written off with premature obituaries about his cricketing career but the man from Sialkot has risen like a phoenix and silenced his critics.

He scored a game-changing 76 runs from 161 balls with seven boundaries and two sixes, and returned to take the wicket of opener Kaushal Silva on the Day 4 of the Test match against Sri Lanka at Sheikh Zayed Cricket Stadium on Sunday.

"I can say this is my best day of cricketing life," Sohail said during a post-match press conference.

Sohail had been battling injuries for a long time and said it was his struggle for two years that has helped him became a determined player. "Even as I struggled, I had just one goal and that was to make a comeback. And Alhamdulillah I have succeeded. I have done a lot of hard work. I worked with physios here and in England and all of this helped. This was my dream to become a Test cricketer and it's finally fulfilled," the 28-year-old said.

On his cricketing actions after returning from injury, he said: "I had good outings in the Pakistan Super League and Grade-II cricket. I scored centuries in a couple of matches."

There were questions raised about his selection but the knock and the manner in which he carried his innings will surely put an end to all silent whisperers. "I was under pressure. This is my comeback and debut," Sohail said and added that he had got good support from seniors and management.

Sohail said he enjoyed playing in Abu Dhabi. "I have played here before and it isn't that difficult. First session is very important on the final day. They (Sri Lanka) are under pressure. We will try to bundle them out in the first session and get a result."

And Sohail will be among the bowlers creating problems for Sri Lanka.

"Yes, I will continue my focus on bowling and am working extra with my coaches."

Meanwhile, Sri Lankan spinner Rangana Herath noted that Sohail has shown a lot of 'character and maturity' for a debutant.

Herath, who snared his 32nd five-wicket haul and seventh against Pakistan, said it will be an 'interesting' final day of play.

"Suddenly we lost a few wickets. It will be an interesting game tomorrow (Monday)," he said hoping to put Pakistan in a similar situation.

And interestingly, 10 wickets fell on the Day 4.

The spinner, however, noted it is a difficult wicket for spinners.

"Until the fourth day, only 24 wickets have fallen in the Test match and it is not easy to pick up five wickets in an innings. As far as I concerned, I am very pleased with the way I bowled."

Looking ahead, Herath said: "The ultimate goal now is to score as much as possible. We need to bat the first hour and go on till lunch. And then we can, hopefully, have sort of a plan."

Herath said on the last day Kusal Mendis, Niroshan Dickwella and Dilruwan Perera will have to take the responsibility. "Hopefully, we can all get together and put up a good score."

And before that the man, who has taken most of his wickets against Pakistan, will look to add a few more. An exciting day of play in store on Monday.

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/sport/c...s-haris-sohail
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 2nd October 2017 at 00:35.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1099 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Hopefully he doesn't relax and get too comfortable

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Needs to lose a bit of weight as its fat.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    698 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    "There was pressure on me. It was a comeback and a debut. The confidence had been shaken over the last two years, but I had good backing from the management. The last two years were very difficult. I struggled a lot. It was that kind of injury. Things weren't right for me. But it was a dream for me to become a Test cricketer and now that is complete," Sohail said.

"Only I know how much I struggled. I heard many things [about my career ending]. But my goal was only one thing - to return. Thankfully I was successful. I've done a lot of hard work because it did look like, as was said in the media, that my return might be difficult. But I had made a goal that I had to return," Sohail added.
    It's clear that he's had to go through a lot to be where he is today. It's not like he wasn't playing FC cricket because he didn't want to and it's admirable that he's fought back from the brink to where he is today. Hope he carries on playing like he did in his debut innings and goes on to have a successful international career insha'Allah.

Shout out to the experts who reckoned he can't make more than 30 in an innings and throws it away.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    It's clear that he's had to go through a lot to be where he is today. It's not like he wasn't playing FC cricket because he didn't want to and it's admirable that he's fought back from the brink to where he is today. Hope he carries on playing like he did in his debut innings and goes on to have a successful international career insha'Allah.

Shout out to the experts who reckoned he can't make more than 30 in an innings and throws it away.
    I never understood that argument

His last 3 innings before this one include: 52, 89* and 68*

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was by far the best and most consistent batsmen. Hope the haters have some shame now.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he has been the star of the show after ysir shah...

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Want a match winning century in next match. Good luck <3

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oddly enough the people who used to call him "saviour saviour" in jest haven't shown up since his 76 on debut.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    NB, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Oddly enough the people who used to call him "saviour saviour" in jest haven't shown up since his 76 on debut.
    who even called him that? everyone knew after watching him play in ODIs that he will be a future Pakistani ATG, maybe even a tier 2 ATG with sanga and younus

Babar Azam: Runs 8032, Average 44, Top Score: 204, Fav fan: CricFan2012

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    Want a match winning century in next match. Good luck <3
    Will only happen if he bats up the order.

First test I will give management the benefit of doubt as he was on debut, but he cannot and should not be batting at six from now on.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricFan2012 View Post
    who even called him that? everyone knew after watching him play in ODIs that he will be a future Pakistani ATG, maybe even a tier 2 ATG with sanga and younus
    Just take a look at the threads before his debut. There were so many people who wanted him to fail saying ridiculous things like:

"but but he can't play spin"

"but but he can't play the short ball"

"but but he is not match fit and won't last 100 overs let alone 5 days"

"but but there are so many other deserving players"

"but but he hasn't played red ball cricket for 3/4 years and should be rotting in domestic for next few seasons"

and so on.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the dream was to only be a test cricketer than that's pretty low standard. Hopefully he has many more ambitions.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirris View Post
    If the dream was to only be a test cricketer than that's pretty low standard. Hopefully he has many more ambitions.
    I would have thought it was obvious from the context that his comments relate to how he managed to recover from a l/t injury to make his debut, despite being told by "experts" his career was over before it even began.

Thankfully he proved them wrong.