Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

Talent Spotter : Harris Rauf

A comprehensive profile of Lahore Qalandars' latest find, Rawalpindi's Harris Rauf, who has taken everyone by storm by clocking the fastest ball recorded in the talent hunt program.

Name:  harris.jpg
Views: 1675
Size:  170.3 KB

Full Name: Harris Rauf

Born: 1995, Rawalpindi

Height: 5ft 10in

Major teams: Lahore Qalandars Academy

Bowling style: Right-arm fast

Getting into cricket

As every other youngster in the country, I started playing cricket when I was a young boy. I used to play street cricket initially, before captaining my school team. I have played cricket outside Rawalpindi as well, but never actually played any club cricket. I used to run on the streets, shadow practicing and rolling my bowling arm over. Even when I was studying, I used to shadow practice a lot. No one in my family has ever played cricket so there was no example for me to follow as such. The passion for the game came from within me.

Opposition from family

My family was always against the idea of me playing cricket. A lot of trophies that I won playing cricket were thrown away at home. As would be the case in a typical Pakistani parent, the emphasis was on studies and it was expected that I would study engineering or medicine. Playing cricket was a waste of time as far as my family was concerned. I used to sneak out from my house to play cricket, and when I returned back, I would be scolded for playing cricket. But, I had other ideas. I always wanted to pursue my passion and here I am today. Yes, I was a little disheartened by the opposition from my family but as I always say, your passion always drives you and you must fight for it.

Early days as a cricketer

As mentioned before, I did not play any club cricket at all. I played cricket for my college and university, though. For my college, I won the 'Sportsman of the Year' award. I studied at International Islamic University in Islamabad. My coach at university was Naseer Sahib. I cannot thank him enough for all his efforts. He was the first person to identify the talent I possessed and he always believed in my expertise. If I have reached this far, it is all because of the trust he had put in me.

Aspirations to become an all-rounder

I am quite confident about my batting as well and feel that I can be an all-rounder but at the moment, my focus is on fast-bowling which is my strong point.

Lahore Qalandars trials

Last year, I did not sign up for the first edition of Jazz Rising Stars as I wasn't playing hard-ball cricket regularly then. My coach motivated me and he was the one who believed I could be selected for the second edition should I work hard. This year, I registered for the trials in Gujranwala and got selected. I clocked at 92.3mph, which was the fastest recorded delivery in the talent hunt program.

Lahore Qalandars Academy

I have been sent to the Lahore Qalandars Academy, where I have been assigned a personal trainer. I am working hard with him in the gym these days to improve my ground fitness. I am getting special tips from him and have been told that I can improve my speed to a further 5kph-7kph should I work hard on certain areas, including my run-up. I am really excited and am looking forward to working with the Qalandars' staff.

Looking forward to working with Shoaib Akhtar

Never in my life did I think I would be sitting with Shoaib Akhtar one day, let alone being compared to him in terms of my bowling speed. He is not only a legend and a stalwart in Pakistan cricket, but also considered legendary in world cricket. I am extremely privileged and honoured by the prospect of him working with me and improving my bowling speed.

Role Model

As a fast-bowler myself, I was naturally interested in emulating other fast-bowlers and as I come from Rawalpindi, I have always idolized my hero Shoaib Akhtar since my school days. His services for Pakistan cricket are second to none. I have heard the stories of his playing days, when he used to take pain-killer injections every time he ran on to bowl. He has had his troubles, but those obstacles never stopped him from representing his nation. Other than him, I have always liked Dale Steyn. I used to watch his bowling videos and tried to imitate him on the field. Apart from his immaculate line and length, Dale Steyn is a master of swing bowling, and he does it at a brisk pace, which is not easy at all.

Future Aspirations

As every budding cricketer in the country, my aim is to play for Pakistan one day. It's a gradual process, it will take time, but I hope I get to achieve my dreams. For now, I feel really lucky to be working with the likes of Aqib Javed and Shoaib Akhtar. I am extremely thankful to Lahore Qalandars for staging a merit-based talent hunt program. I may be playing the PSL next year, but I am not sure as of now. I'll continue working with the coaches in the Lahore Qalandars Academy and hope to improve myself further.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 7th October 2017 at 18:47.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good to see he'll be working with Shoaib. Haris definitely has the potential to become genuinely fast but plenty of work to be done. Shoaib's gonna like the pacers on show. There's a truckload of them.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Seems a good talent. Working with Shoaib will help. Need some pacers to come through.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    Good to see he'll be working with Shoaib. Haris definitely has the potential to become genuinely fast but plenty of work to be done. Shoaib's gonna like the pacers on show. There's a truckload of them.
    So few actually go on.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    So few actually go on.
    I'm just happy they're being given a platform to perform and given professional training even if it be for a few months. This has never happened before.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Videos of his bowling.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    968 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fazl-e-Akbar type action... no?

Inzi is the best selector in the world

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I'm just happy they're being given a platform to perform and given professional training even if it be for a few months. This has never happened before.
    That i cant disagree with but if you look at toothless national attack on flat tracks, PK needs at least one real pacer. I hope one of these guys comes through.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That i cant disagree with but if you look at toothless national attack on flat tracks, PK needs at least one real pacer. I hope one of these guys comes through.
    Unless someone can bowl 100mph yorkers the struggle will continue on UAE tracks for fast bowlers there's nothing in it for pacers generally on pitches such as the one in the current match.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cric1234 View Post
    Unless someone can bowl 100mph yorkers the struggle will continue on UAE tracks for fast bowlers there's nothing in it for pacers generally on pitches such as the one in the current match.
    But these guys struggled in Aus and NZ. The attack relies entirely on Yasir and when he fails like in Aus, the attack is useless.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I don't think pacers can do much more than contain and pick up 2-3 wickets in UAE. The tracks are so dead and the outfield so heavy which takes reverse out of the equation. You can't do anything but hope the batsman runs out of patience. The faster you bowl the easier it is to hit because there is no bounce whatsoever.

Changing to Dukes might provide a bit more help but nothing game changing. The sooner we move back to Pakistan the better. At least there will be new ball swing for 10 overs and the tracks/grounds are so abrasive that reverse will definitely come into play every innings. Also a bit more pace so bending your back is actually worth it.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I don't think pacers can do much more than contain and pick up 2-3 wickets in UAE. The tracks are so dead and the outfield so heavy which takes reverse out of the equation. You can't do anything but hope the batsman runs out of patience. The faster you bowl the easier it is to hit because there is no bounce whatsoever.

Changing to Dukes might provide a bit more help but nothing game changing. The sooner we move back to Pakistan the better. At least there will be new ball swing for 10 overs and the tracks/grounds are so abrasive that reverse will definitely come into play every innings. Also a bit more pace so bending your back is actually worth it.
    I disagree, real pace will trouble the best of batsman and certainly the less able numpties. However, they would go for more because of the extra pace. For me its a no brainer, pick fast bowlers(if you have them) to bowl quick. Whats the worst that can happen?

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I disagree, real pace will trouble the best of batsman and certainly the less able numpties. However, they would go for more because of the extra pace. For me its a no brainer, pick fast bowlers(if you have them) to bowl quick. Whats the worst that can happen?
    Not the easiest job to motivate yourself day-in day-out to bowl genuinely fast on these tracks. Yes, genuine pacers would trouble on any pitch but without reverse and lack of bounce, I just don't see why any pacer would bother to exert that much energy even if they have that capability. Add the 40 degrees heat and humidity, it's a fruitless job. Not saying I'm against it or anything, I'd love to see genuine pacers.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    only run up.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    I hope the guy is 90mph because they said Yasir Jan was 80mph etc but he is nowhere near that.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Reminds me a bit of Yasir Arafat. Hopefully he progresses well.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I hope the guy is 90mph because they said Yasir Jan was 80mph etc but he is nowhere near that.
    O Wow! That's worrying that they sent a boy all the way to England who was no way near what they claimed.