Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Need Help with C (Programming Language)

Hey Guys!! ok so the task is very simple and extremely minuscule (for any half decent C programmer)

I need to write a program that will

1) Define an integer called 'factor' and place its value = 1.0
    2) Store a value to another integer called 'x' (This is user input value)
    3) Check to see if the input value is less than 500 if it is then 'x' multiplies with 'factor' and produces a result with another integer that will be used later.
    4) If value of 'x' is > 500 then program should do (x - 500) = store in another integer let's say 'a', concurrently the program should also store (multiply 500 x 'factor' as well)
    5) For 'a' the program should check if a < 700 if it is then it should reduce the 'factor' by 20% and multiply with 'a'.
    6) If a > 700 then the program should do (a-700) = store the integer in 'b', concurrently the program should also store (multiply 700 x 20% reduced of 'factor')
    7)The remaining value should then be multiplied with a 20% reduced factor of the factor reduction I did in step 5.
    8) Loop this sequence (step 5-Step7) until x is less than 700 and we have a total based on that. (Factor needs to be reduced by 20% on the last stored value after every set of 700 for 'x' - until the loop finishes).
    9) Once we have this figure based on whatever condition it suffices I need to add it to 'x' times 0.05 and output a result on the screen

P.S. This is a pricing model basically, just in case you were wondering.

Help Needed
    Thanks Guys
    Waqas

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Please post what you have tried so far.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    One of the Sachin posters may be able to help you, he's good at programming can't remember his tag

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    982 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not a programmer... but I was taught integers don't have decimals

Inzi is the best selector in the world

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    One of the Sachin posters may be able to help you, he's good at programming can't remember his tag
    I think it's @Sachin136

I can only help you a bit with Matlab ahmedwaqas

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Not a programmer... but I was taught integers don't have decimals
    Really, am sure you would have done a computing module and used Matlab / Python for some of your projects

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    @TalhaSyed Are you familiar with the VHDL programming language ?

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lost it at condition 4 the whole procedure seems too confusing to code. Share couple of examples if you can't put up in text.

Tried to code what you said so far, here it is:

#include

int main()
    {
    float f = 1.0f;
    float x = 0;
    float a = 0;
    float b = 0;

printf("Enter : x\n");
    scanf("%d" , &x);

if(x<500)
    {
    f=x*f;
    }else {
    a=x-500;
    }

while(x<700)
    {
    if(a<700)
    {
    f=a*(f/5);
    } else {
    b=a-700;
    f=a*(f/5);
    }
    x-=700;
    }

x*=0.5;
    printf("X: %f", x);

return 0;
    }

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    982 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Really, am sure you would have done a computing module and used Matlab / Python for some of your projects
    Yes and used C quite a bit... but cannot compare to people who do programming day in and day out as part of their day job

Inzi is the best selector in the world

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure that its not required to be placed on on a chip

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For 5-8, what if x is less than 500 from the start? What's the remaining value in 7? Maybe use variable names for every thing you need to store so it is easier to follow.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use VHDL and Verilog, why?

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachin136 View Post
    I use VHDL and Verilog, why?
    I may need to learn it soon so I can enhance me resume, what learning resources would you recommenced for a newbie to the language

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For 5-8, what if x is less than 500 from the start? What's the remaining value in 7? Maybe use variable names for every thing you need to store so it is easier to follow.
    what if x and a are equal to their respective values?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post
    Hey Guys!! ok so the task is very simple and extremely minuscule (for any half decent C programmer)

I need to write a program that will

1) Define an integer called 'factor' and place its value = 1.0
    2) Store a value to another integer called 'x' (This is user input value)
    3) Check to see if the input value is less than 500 if it is then 'x' multiplies with 'factor' and produces a result with another integer that will be used later.
    4) If value of 'x' is > 500 then program should do (x - 500) = store in another integer let's say 'a', concurrently the program should also store (multiply 500 x 'factor' as well)
    5) For 'a' the program should check if a < 700 if it is then it should reduce the 'factor' by 20% and multiply with 'a'.
    6) If a > 700 then the program should do (a-700) = store the integer in 'b', concurrently the program should also store (multiply 700 x 20% reduced of 'factor')
    7)The remaining value should then be multiplied with a 20% reduced factor of the factor reduction I did in step 5.
    8) Loop this sequence (step 5-Step7) until x is less than 700 and we have a total based on that. (Factor needs to be reduced by 20% on the last stored value after every set of 700 for 'x' - until the loop finishes).
    9) Once we have this figure based on whatever condition it suffices I need to add it to 'x' times 0.05 and output a result on the screen

P.S. This is a pricing model basically, just in case you were wondering.

Help Needed
    Thanks Guys
    Waqas
    Didnt know people are still using C

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    711 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm only familiar with PHP and JavaScript. A bit of Java also. Will read the documentation of C once I'm home to see if I can figure this out.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I may need to learn it soon so I can enhance me resume, what learning resources would you recommenced for a newbie to the language
    My professor wrote a book on VHDL it was very good, highly recommended. Look for VHDL for Engineers by Kenneth L Short on Amazon. The only challenge I see newbie having is getting the hardware, syntax wise, it is very similar to C, I used Aldec HDL IDE.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    711 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why not post this on stack overflow?

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
    Why not post this on stack overflow?
    There is more chance of someone helping here than at SO, if you haven't shown what you have tried so far, and just want someone else to do your homework.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    There is more chance of someone helping here than at SO, if you haven't shown what you have tried so far, and just want someone else to do your homework.
    Coding in C is not really an issue for me, but he need to clarify the problem atleast. There's no connection in steps like what is being upgraded and where.

Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Didnt know people are still using C
    Its mainly used for linux/variants and embedded programming these days.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The syntax is not hard to learn, but are you already familiar with circuit/digital design?

http://freerangefactory.org/

"Circuit Design and Simulation with VHDL" by Pedroni

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    @CricketCartoons @maxamax @Syed1 @Abdul @sjahmed23 @MenInG @shaz619 @Sachin136

Sorry about the delayed response guys...Work has been murderous

Ok, let me get a few things out of the way so that there is some perspective to this query.

1) This is not a homework, I just need someone to help me put together a few lines of code (if possible) that I can run on my Free BSD back end server/terminal - That's basically a Unix distro that we are running as back end for all our ERP/Big Data/Numeric Analaysis.

If you're not comfortable sharing the code (I understand) just give me a working flow or point me in the right direction using a simple Algorithm, Anything that I might translate into command line syntax and produce a result on the terminal. This is also the reason why I am using native C (Legacy code) as I can then source this to any of my staff, whoever might be working on the project that I will explain below.

2) This is actually a pricing model that a customer of ours tried explaining to us. This is how the pricing model goes - In plain English....

(A) The customer provides a service let's assume the service is 'ABC' - I can't name the service due to copyright and other legal issues.
    (B) For this service the customer first asks's their clientele on how much is the 'input_value'. The 'input_value' can be anything >0 (simple enough) - Can only be integer while input (result has to be decimal)
    (C) The program then checks if this 'input_value' is <500
    (I) If the 'input_value' is < 500 then:
    (i) 'input_value' multiplied with 'factor' that has a starting position of 1.0
    (ii) When condition (i) is completed, the system should ask the user does 'feature sn' apply on this
    input, if user press 'y' the program should multiply 'input_value' with 0.05 and then add this
    result with (i) and produce a float (decimal value) on the screen. If User presses 'n' skip (ii)
    and just produce whatever result is stored in (i).
    (II) If 'input_value' is NOT < 500:
    (i) Subtract 500 from 'input value' and multiply the 500 with factor 1.0
    (ii) Check to see if remaining 'input_value' is < 700 if it is then multiply the ('input value' - 500)
    with a reduced 'factor' by 20% which means 20% of 1.0 (factor) is 0.8
    (iii) If 'input_value' (after subtracting intial 500) is still > 700 then do (['input value' - 500] - 700),
    multiply 700 with reduced 20% of 'factor' i.e. 0.8 (as explained above), proceed to reduce the
    'factor' by another 20% (i.e. 20% reduction of 0.8 after which we get 0.64), multiply this
    'factor' with (['input_value' - 500] - 700) and then do a check again for point number (ii)
    (iv) Loop this until 'input_value' finishes and has a set below 700
    (v) The above result should then go through a 'feature sn' check, if user press 'y' then original
    'input_value' multiples with 0.05 + all the above calculation and result displayed on the screen
    however if user press 'n' the programs skips this and just produces a result based on above
    calculation from (i) - (iv)

Working Scenario (Example)

Let's say user input is 1800

Step 1 - 500 (first 500 set from 'user_input') x 1.0 (factor) = 500
    Step 2 - 700 (Second 700 set from Step 1) x 0.8 (reduced factor by 20% of above) = 560
    Step 3 - 600 (The remaining value < 700 from Step 2) x 0.64 (reduced factor by 20% of above) = 384

Since the complete block of 'user_input' has finished we now do a 'feature sn' check so if 'feature sn' is yes then 1800 x 0.05 = 90 and add to the total result i.e. output should be 500+560+384+90 = 1534. If 'feature sn' is no then just display result as 500+560+384 = 1444

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of my staff are using windows systems ranging from xp/7/8.1/10 to Linux Unbuntu to BSD terminals such as me, therefore I need to have legacy C code as I can use any terminal/shell/ or command prompt to get a result for this type of input. Server is hosted on a BSD as well.

My job is not related to this coding at all, the problem is that we got existing financial numericals and marketing analysis from the customer that used this pricing model on a manual entry basis using nothing but manual workforce that would crunch in numbers on a calculator, reverify it by hand, load the entry into their ERP software and then evaluate their targets and bugets based on this

The job is complicated because I am not too sure if all the input is error free which is why my analysis right at the end, which is a mesh of predictive analysis using progressions and Big data velocity, can go horribly wrong if my input is not matching with the numbers I plugging into SPSS, Octave or Matlab for that matter.

That's the whole gimmick here. I know at the end I too have to manually see whether each input is correct of not by comparing it one by one but to make it a bit easier for everyone involved I need a quick fix on how to verify if the value being plugged into the ERP module is the correct one or not. Based on the calculation that is done above.

Any help on the matter would be much appreciated.
    Thanks Guys
    Waqas

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post
    @CricketCartoons @maxamax @Syed1 @Abdul @sjahmed23 @MenInG @shaz619 @Sachin136

Sorry about the delayed response guys...Work has been murderous

Ok, let me get a few things out of the way so that there is some perspective to this query.

1) This is not a homework, I just need someone to help me put together a few lines of code (if possible) that I can run on my Free BSD back end server/terminal - That's basically a Unix distro that we are running as back end for all our ERP/Big Data/Numeric Analaysis.

If you're not comfortable sharing the code (I understand) just give me a working flow or point me in the right direction using a simple Algorithm, Anything that I might translate into command line syntax and produce a result on the terminal. This is also the reason why I am using native C (Legacy code) as I can then source this to any of my staff, whoever might be working on the project that I will explain below.

2) This is actually a pricing model that a customer of ours tried explaining to us. This is how the pricing model goes - In plain English....

(A) The customer provides a service let's assume the service is 'ABC' - I can't name the service due to copyright and other legal issues.
    (B) For this service the customer first asks's their clientele on how much is the 'input_value'. The 'input_value' can be anything >0 (simple enough) - Can only be integer while input (result has to be decimal)
    (C) The program then checks if this 'input_value' is <500
    (I) If the 'input_value' is < 500 then:
    (i) 'input_value' multiplied with 'factor' that has a starting position of 1.0
    (ii) When condition (i) is completed, the system should ask the user does 'feature sn' apply on this
    input, if user press 'y' the program should multiply 'input_value' with 0.05 and then add this
    result with (i) and produce a float (decimal value) on the screen. If User presses 'n' skip (ii)
    and just produce whatever result is stored in (i).
    (II) If 'input_value' is NOT < 500:
    (i) Subtract 500 from 'input value' and multiply the 500 with factor 1.0
    (ii) Check to see if remaining 'input_value' is < 700 if it is then multiply the ('input value' - 500)
    with a reduced 'factor' by 20% which means 20% of 1.0 (factor) is 0.8
    (iii) If 'input_value' (after subtracting intial 500) is still > 700 then do (['input value' - 500] - 700),
    multiply 700 with reduced 20% of 'factor' i.e. 0.8 (as explained above), proceed to reduce the
    'factor' by another 20% (i.e. 20% reduction of 0.8 after which we get 0.64), multiply this
    'factor' with (['input_value' - 500] - 700) and then do a check again for point number (ii)
    (iv) Loop this until 'input_value' finishes and has a set below 700
    (v) The above result should then go through a 'feature sn' check, if user press 'y' then original
    'input_value' multiples with 0.05 + all the above calculation and result displayed on the screen
    however if user press 'n' the programs skips this and just produces a result based on above
    calculation from (i) - (iv)

Working Scenario (Example)

Let's say user input is 1800

Step 1 - 500 (first 500 set from 'user_input') x 1.0 (factor) = 500
    Step 2 - 700 (Second 700 set from Step 1) x 0.8 (reduced factor by 20% of above) = 560
    Step 3 - 600 (The remaining value < 700 from Step 2) x 0.64 (reduced factor by 20% of above) = 384

Since the complete block of 'user_input' has finished we now do a 'feature sn' check so if 'feature sn' is yes then 1800 x 0.05 = 90 and add to the total result i.e. output should be 500+560+384+90 = 1534. If 'feature sn' is no then just display result as 500+560+384 = 1444

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of my staff are using windows systems ranging from xp/7/8.1/10 to Linux Unbuntu to BSD terminals such as me, therefore I need to have legacy C code as I can use any terminal/shell/ or command prompt to get a result for this type of input. Server is hosted on a BSD as well.

My job is not related to this coding at all, the problem is that we got existing financial numericals and marketing analysis from the customer that used this pricing model on a manual entry basis using nothing but manual workforce that would crunch in numbers on a calculator, reverify it by hand, load the entry into their ERP software and then evaluate their targets and bugets based on this

The job is complicated because I am not too sure if all the input is error free which is why my analysis right at the end, which is a mesh of predictive analysis using progressions and Big data velocity, can go horribly wrong if my input is not matching with the numbers I plugging into SPSS, Octave or Matlab for that matter.

That's the whole gimmick here. I know at the end I too have to manually see whether each input is correct of not by comparing it one by one but to make it a bit easier for everyone involved I need a quick fix on how to verify if the value being plugged into the ERP module is the correct one or not. Based on the calculation that is done above.

Any help on the matter would be much appreciated.
    Thanks Guys
    Waqas
    Not sure if it works correctly (I still don't understand how your model works) but it works for your example. https://pastebin.com/cra3Aj5i

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Not sure if it works correctly (I still don't understand how your model works) but it works for your example. https://pastebin.com/cra3Aj5i
    Worked Like a Charm THANK YOU SO MUCH BROTHER !!

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjahmed23 View Post
    My professor wrote a book on VHDL it was very good, highly recommended. Look for VHDL for Engineers by Kenneth L Short on Amazon. The only challenge I see newbie having is getting the hardware, syntax wise, it is very similar to C, I used Aldec HDL IDE.
    The syntax is not hard to learn, but are you already familiar with circuit/digital design?

http://freerangefactory.org/

"Circuit Design and Simulation with VHDL" by Pedroni
    Thanks guys and yes Sachin I need to get familiar with circuit design, am cool with their fundamental operation but not their design and functionality with regards to VHDL so it's something I plan on using whatever useful learning resources I can find to become somewhat decent at it, not on the expert level obviously as that takes years

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Scot-la-la-land
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nah man unfortunately not.

I did some C programming for the first couple of years of University but that was a while ago and a distant memory now

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TalhaSyed View Post
    Nah man unfortunately not.

I did some C programming for the first couple of years of University but that was a while ago and a distant memory now
    Just was asking because electrical engineers tend to use it a fair amount

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    An inswinging Yorker.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You just want the answers. You will never learn it this way. This is the main reason people are frustrated with coding. They just want answers.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Scot-la-la-land
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just was asking because electrical engineers tend to use it a fair amount
    The ones who know what they are doing tend to use it a lot man

Nah I think it's used a lot more by electronic engineers rather than electrical engineers - but I may be mistaken

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The ones who know what they are doing tend to use it a lot man

Nah I think it's used a lot more by electronic engineers rather than electrical engineers - but I may be mistaken
    What's the difference between electronic and electrical , seems like a bit of a similarity/distinction between aerospace and aeronautical

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Scot-la-la-land
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What's the difference between electronic and electrical , seems like a bit of a similarity/distinction between aerospace and aeronautical
    So electronic engineers work on electronic devices (e.g. computers, smart phones, antennas, tablets, electronics within cars, analogue and digital electronics etc. to name a few), whilst electrical engineers deal with large scale power (e.g. transmission grids, power plants, buildings, renewable energy etc.)

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    So electronic engineers work on electronic devices (e.g. computers, smart phones, antennas, tablets, electronics within cars, analogue and digital electronics etc. to name a few), whilst electrical engineers deal with large scale power (e.g. transmission grids, power plants, buildings, renewable energy etc.)
    Fair enough makes sense, hows everything going with you bro all good

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Scot-la-la-land
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fair enough makes sense, hows everything going with you bro all good
    Yea man alhumdullilah keeping well!

Got a week off work next week so looking forward to that inshallah

How about you?

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Yea man alhumdullilah keeping well!

Got a week off work next week so looking forward to that inshallah

How about you?
    That's good bro and all good, you can watch extra footage of the big dawg during that time

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Scot-la-la-land
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's good bro and all good, you can watch extra footage of the big dawg during that time
    Bug dawg continues his rise to the top!