Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pakistan confirmed as Ireland's first Test opponents

IRELAND’s first Test match will be on home soil against Pakistan in May, following an agreement between the two sides reached during the International Cricket Council meeting in Auckland this week.

Ireland and Afghanistan were given Test status in June when they became the 11th and 12th Full Members of the ICC and Cricket Ireland has since been looking for the right opponents for an historic first match.

“We are excited to welcome Pakistan to Ireland for our inaugural Test match next year,” CEO Warren Deutrom said. “It has been our wish to make our Test debut in front of our own fans within 12 months of becoming a Test nation, and against a big team - so I’m delighted.”

Pakistan certainly fit the bill as a team who were top of the Test match rankings as recently as last year before slipping back after the retirement of captain Misbah-ul-Haq and senior batsman Younis Khan.

"There is a lot of work to do from now to ensure that it will be an occasion to remember but we, and I’m sure our players and fans, can’t wait to rise to it,” Deutrom added.

"We would like to thank the Pakistan Cricket Board most sincerely for agreeing to be our first opponent in Test cricket – the Pakistan team has been a regular visitor to our shores in recent years, and their agreement to be our opponent on this important occasion for Irish cricket is further evidence of their terrific support.”

Irish captain William Porterfield welcomed confirmation of the match saying: "It's fantastic news for Irish cricket. It's going to be a bit special and it's always great to be a part of history.

"There's a special affinity between ourselves and Pakistan going back to the 2007 World Cup and they've been regular tourists here over the past decade.

"Test cricket is the pinnacle of our sport and I know how much this game will mean to not only the players but all involved with Irish cricket. It'll be another step on what has been an incredible journey for our sport in a relatively short passage of time.

"It's sure to be an incredible and emotional experience for all involved. I know how much this will mean to all the players and just how much we all will forward to our dream of being Test cricketers realised. I'm certain there will be an incredible atmosphere from both sets of fans who will be keen to witness a piece of history."

The exact date in May and Irish venue for the five-day Test has yet to be confirmed, but a final decision on both will be announced in due course.

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope it will be a well attended historic match.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
    Hope it will be a well attended historic match.
    And without any nepotism.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hopefully it's late May and my exams are done by then, I'll go over and hang out with @Donal Cozzie

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    Hopefully it's late May and my exams are done by then, I'll go over and hang out with @Donal Cozzie
    Can I come

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Can I come

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Congrats @Donal Cozzie big moment for Irish cricket, I hope the weather holds up but am not sure what it's like during a May in Ireland

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bad feeling about this Test match. If Ireland makes a green wicket with overcast wet-tish conditions, Pakistan could look like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Wouldn't rule out an Ireland win if those are the conditions. Plus we've known to be gracious people. Handing wins to minnows when they need them.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shariqnoor View Post
    I have a bad feeling about this Test match. If Ireland makes a green wicket with overcast wet-tish conditions, Pakistan could look like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Wouldn't rule out an Ireland win if those are the conditions. Plus we've known to be gracious people. Handing wins to minnows when they need them.
    Luckily Ireland don't have the bowlers to take advantage of such conditions.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who are all the teams that have won their first ever test match and will be joined next year by Ireland??

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news for Irish cricket

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Finally BD can become the second worst test team in the world

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    970 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another opportunity for Mickey to lose to a minnow

Inzi is the best selector in the world

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Will be a historic occasion if hopefully the weather stays clear. Cannot afford any complacency or thinking Ireland are just preparation for the England tour - we all saw what happened on a greentop in the 2007 WC.

Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    A friendly reminder that your Pep Guardiola of cricket Waqar shelled an ODI to Zimbabwe in a match where we were 76-6 only two years ago.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    970 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Will be a historic occasion if hopefully the weather stays clear. Cannot afford any complacency or thinking Ireland are just preparation for the England tour - we all saw what happened on a greentop in the 2007 WC.

A friendly reminder that your Pep Guardiola of cricket Waqar shelled an ODI to Zimbabwe in a match where we were 76-6 only two years ago.
    Didn't know we were paying Mickey a bucket ton of money to be as bad as Vicki

Inzi is the best selector in the world

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3816 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Didn't know we were paying Mickey a bucket ton of money to be as bad as Vicki
    Mickey replaced him so it is natural for him to be compared to his predecessor. However, I agree that it is pointless to compare a professional coach to a P.E. Master with fake British accent.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It will also be on Sarfrazs record just like anytime we lost to a minnow under Misbah.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good news for Ireland and good match practice for Pakistan before we take on England.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    2nd Room on the left
    Runs
    Mentioned
    418 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pakistan should have declined the invitation we will gain nothing in fact its a banana skin hopefully it will be rained off

Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    If Hafeez can get two hundreds in a game anyone can.

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet @Donal Cozzie stopped following Cricket like 99% of the Irish.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We might just end up losing lol.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    We might just end up losing lol.
    Will probably get rained-off!

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news all round.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be a rain affected draw which means Pak will lose points.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2016 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Ireland hopeful of playing return series in Pakistan, provided security situation remains stable

http://www.cricketeurope.com/DATABAS...8/004849.shtml

See You Space Cowboy....