Instagram


The Cricket Paper

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    14,309
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Kevin Pietersen versus Inzamam-ul-Haq

    Who would you say is the better overall batsmen in your opinion?

    Discus

  2. #2
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    14,309
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    976
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In tests, Inzi all day every day.

    In ODIs, I would be more inclined towards Pietersen especially his early days. Inzi could've been much better if his body could keep up with his mind.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    467
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inzamam for sure in tests. Pietersen was capable of the kind of innings no one else except Lara could match, but he was far more inconsistent than Inzi. Never put together a truly dominant run of form like Inzi in 04/05

  5. #5
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    4,492
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pietersen. He underachieved but was still a better batsmen than Inzy.

    Inzy was very good too but KP takes this.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    25,877
    Mentioned
    731 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Inzamam. Stood up in numerous pressure situations often with a weak batting lineup whereas Pietersen had a stable top order of Cook, Strauss and Trott to provide a good platform.

    Pietersen had a weakness against left arm spin and the premature end to his career meant he wasn't able to achieve his full potential - but a destructive batsman nonetheless who has a better record than Inzy in Australia.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    4,771
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inzi

  8. #8
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    1,855
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol at these responses KP was twice as good as Inzy, inzy was a complete flat track bully with crap technique

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,275
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin Petierson is better

  10. #10
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    26,853
    Mentioned
    805 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Inzamam was easily better in both tests and ODIs. Great batsman, our Inzi.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    1,855
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Inzamam was easily better in both tests and ODIs. Great batsman, our Inzi.
    Not that good at all really, yousuf was a lot better

  12. #12
    Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    18,415
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by majiz View Post
    Not that good at all really, yousuf was a lot better
    Yousuf was a serial bottler who was only truly great for a couple of years.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    68
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inzi is world cup winner, KP is not.

    KP more flamboyant but Inzi has played more clutch knocks.

    In bilateral series, KP any day. In knockout matches, Inzi wins.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    17,858
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    KP was less consistent than Inzzy in the test format, but KP has played more gun knocks than Inzzy. Inzzy went totally missing against SA and Aus in all venues. KP went missing against Pakistan. Just by this, some one might be tempted to say that KP was better, but one huge factor here. Inzzy played in 90s.

    Inzzy averaged 55+ in 00s with 5k+ runs. It's not far-fetched to assume that his career average would have been closer to what he averaged in 00s if he has started playing in 2005 when KP started. I am not hyping up players from past here, but a simple look will tell you that only 2-3 players averaged 50+ in 90s and we have lots of players averaging 50+ in 00s.

    Inzzy reached to rank 1 in the test format and he was consistently ranked in the top 10. KP reached rank 3 as his highest rank and he was mostly ranked below top 10.



    I will take Inzzy in the test format and I have no doubt about it.

    --------

    In ODI, both spent most of their career outside of top 5, but KP actually was among the top 3 ODI batsman for 12-18 months. PPers may fondly remember Inzyy one knock in 92 WC and many good knocks while chasing, but Inzzy didn't appear among the top 3 rank for any meaningful period. KP reached to rank 1 and Inzzy managed to reach to highest rank of 3. Inzzy also has a poor record in WC.

    I will take KP in the ODI format.

    ---------

    Over all , I will take Inzzy over KP as a batsman. I have seen both of them play and without looking at any record, I will take Inzzy in the test format and KP in the ODI format.
    Last edited by Buffet; 12th October 2017 at 17:35.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KP any day of the year !! Inzy is over-hyped because Pak rarely produces decent batsmen. Inzy was decent while KP was level above him.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    17,858
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extra_Cover View Post
    In bilateral series, KP any day. In knockout matches, Inzi wins.

    Inzzy in Final + Semi Final + Q Final - Avg 32

    Inzzy in Final + Semi Final - Avg 33

    Inzzy in Finals - avg 29

    Inzzy in WC - Avg 23

    Impression of Inzzy as pressure player in tournaments is not really true. At same time, Inzzy in bilateral averaged around 50 or higher against Ind, Eng, BD & Zim. Around 40 against WI and SL.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  17. #17
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    4,492
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by majiz View Post
    Not that good at all really, yousuf was a lot better
    LOL..He is the worst.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extra_Cover View Post
    Inzi is world cup winner, KP is not.

    KP more flamboyant but Inzi has played more clutch knocks.

    In bilateral series, KP any day. In knockout matches, Inzi wins.
    LOL.. Do you know INzy's world cup record? average of 23 with strike rate under 75.. KP's batting average in world cup is 48 with strike rate of 85.
    With your logic, Joginder Sharma is better than YK or Lara

  19. #19
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    4,492
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KP gave England their only ICC tournament.

    He was as big a match winner as any.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,357
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Inzy

    KP was potentially better but he was way too inconsistent. Also, Inzy got better with time, KP regressed big time.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    69,928
    Mentioned
    3808 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond007ti View Post
    LOL.. Do you know INzy's world cup record? average of 23 with strike rate under 75.. KP's batting average in world cup is 48 with strike rate of 85.
    With your logic, Joginder Sharma is better than YK or Lara
    Inzamam's overall World Cup record is awful but he has also played one of the greatest ODI innings of all time in a World Cup semifinal. As a result, his overall record gets overlooked.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    26,853
    Mentioned
    805 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by majiz View Post
    Not that good at all really, yousuf was a lot better
    You clearly did not watch the two of them bat.

    Inzamam was a great batsman. KP was a good batsman who played great innings.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    35,962
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Depends on the conditions. Inzamam was one of the very best batsmen in subcontinent conditions, but in English or Australian conditions I would go for KP.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    2,546
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    inzi ....

  25. #25
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    14,309
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    KP was less consistent than Inzzy in the test format, but KP has played more gun knocks than Inzzy. Inzzy went totally missing against SA and Aus in all venues. KP went missing against Pakistan. Just by this, some one might be tempted to say that KP was better, but one huge factor here. Inzzy played in 90s.

    Inzzy averaged 55+ in 00s with 5k+ runs. It's not far-fetched to assume that his career average would have been closer to what he averaged in 00s if he has started playing in 2005 when KP started. I am not hyping up players from past here, but a simple look will tell you that only 2-3 players averaged 50+ in 90s and we have lots of players averaging 50+ in 00s.

    Inzzy reached to rank 1 in the test format and he was consistently ranked in the top 10. KP reached rank 3 as his highest rank and he was mostly ranked below top 10.



    I will take Inzzy in the test format and I have no doubt about it.

    --------

    In ODI, both spent most of their career outside of top 5, but KP actually was among the top 3 ODI batsman for 12-18 months. PPers may fondly remember Inzyy one knock in 92 WC and many good knocks while chasing, but Inzzy didn't appear among the top 3 rank for any meaningful period. KP reached to rank 1 and Inzzy managed to reach to highest rank of 3. Inzzy also has a poor record in WC.

    I will take KP in the ODI format.

    ---------

    Over all , I will take Inzzy over KP as a batsman. I have seen both of them play and without looking at any record, I will take Inzzy in the test format and KP in the ODI format.
    Picking another batsmen over another just because of there ranking is very lazy imo. KP might have been top in the ODI batting ranking, but can you even remember any KP great knocks in ODIs like you can for him in tests? Furthermore he only averaged just over 40 in an era for the most part of his career which was batting friendly. So apart from this 1 period in ODIs where he was ranked number 1, what did he really achieve in ODI cricket? At least Inzi has that iconic knock.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    17,858
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Picking another batsmen over another just because of there ranking is very lazy imo. KP might have been top in the ODI batting ranking, but can you even remember any KP great knocks in ODIs like you can for him in tests? Furthermore he only averaged just over 40 in an era for the most part of his career which was batting friendly. So apart from this 1 period in ODIs where he was ranked number 1, what did he really achieve in ODI cricket? At least Inzi has that iconic knock.
    Isolated great knocks are not going to make anyone better otherwise KP will be light years ahead of Inzzy in the test format. Inzy is simply over hyped in PP for just one knock in ODI format. I rated Inzy ahead of KP in the test format despite KP having lots of gun test knocks.

    Inzy was a king of bilateral as long as opposition was not SA or Aus. He was also a total failure in WC except 1-2 knocks despite playing a large number of matches. He didn't have a good record in finals of tri-series which used to happen regularly in 90s and early 00s. There is a good reason that I don't rate Inzy higher in ODIs even if you don't want to look at rankings. Inzy performance came with lots of if and buts.

    Anyway, Rankings are not accurate at any point, but over all trend gives you some clue.
    Last edited by Buffet; 12th October 2017 at 22:01.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  27. #27
    Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    18,415
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extra_Cover View Post
    Inzi is world cup winner, KP is not.

    KP more flamboyant but Inzi has played more clutch knocks.

    In bilateral series, KP any day. In knockout matches, Inzi wins.
    Apart from 1992, Inzi was pretty disappointing in World Cups.

    Yes, Inzi had a whole bunch of fantastic innings in big pressure situations but they didn't really happen in World Cups post 1992.

    He's still better than KP though.
    Last edited by Big Mac; 12th October 2017 at 22:58.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    5,969
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would rate KP over Inzi in both format. In test, KP has played quite a few gun knocks, winning pressure cooker Ashes against all time great Oz 11 and then winning test series in India were his great achievements.

    Inzi was very good in Asia, but really disappointed by his poor performance against AUS. He was not great against bounce like most Pakistani, where as KP was great against spin(Shane Warne and then in India, although he was missing against us)...

    My other main disappointment of Inzi was in WCs, other than 1992, when he was under no pressure, he really wilted under pressure in 96,99,2003. He was completely missing in all those tournament when we were counting on him...


    If you want to do things that are certain to succeed, you are doing very obvious thing - E Musk

  29. #29
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    13,214
    Mentioned
    611 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Inzi easily ahead.

    Inzi also played in a tougher era and is a major contributor to World Cup victory.

    KP is not of that caliber, not even close.


    At the end of a stressful, depressing day, a dose of cricket is what can cheer us up.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Johannesburg
    Runs
    1,070
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inzi was terrible against the 2 best sides of his time. How is that being over looked? On the other hand KP dominated the best bowlers of his time.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    9,145
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Who would you say is the better overall batsmen in your opinion?

    Discus
    Kevin in ODIs, Inzi in Tests

    Inzis performance to victory ratio in tests was just too damn high, and a few test matches he won even single handedly
    Last edited by waleed88; 13th October 2017 at 04:14.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    9,145
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin was miles ahead of Inzi in ODis,

    Inzi only has 10 ODI 100's and almost all of them scored in Asian conditions. (I am saying that without looking at stats,) Kevin Pieterson definitely a superior batsman in ODIs

  33. #33
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    14,309
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    Isolated great knocks are not going to make anyone better otherwise KP will be light years ahead of Inzzy in the test format. Inzy is simply over hyped in PP for just one knock in ODI format. I rated Inzy ahead of KP in the test format despite KP having lots of gun test knocks.

    Inzy was a king of bilateral as long as opposition was not SA or Aus. He was also a total failure in WC except 1-2 knocks despite playing a large number of matches. He didn't have a good record in finals of tri-series which used to happen regularly in 90s and early 00s. There is a good reason that I don't rate Inzy higher in ODIs even if you don't want to look at rankings. Inzy performance came with lots of if and buts.

    Anyway, Rankings are not accurate at any point, but over all trend gives you some clue.
    I'm not saying they make anyone better but at least Inzi has a memorable knock on ODIs, which ones does KP have?

    Inzi was more consistent in tests than KP so there is no need to look at KPs gun knocks on tests.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    1,488
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Overall: It's Inzi for me as well.

    Although KP on his day was a match-winner as well. And far better fielder than Inzi

  35. #35
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty close but I will go with KP. He is the best we have produced since long time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •