Instagram


The Cricket Paper

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 84
  1. #1
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Runs
    296
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Pune curator Pandurang offers to fix pitch for money, hours before India-New Zealand 2nd ODI

    http://m.indiatoday.in/lite/story/in...1/1074728.html

    India Today reporters disguised as bookies unearthed a massive scandal on Wednesday as they caught the Maharashtra Cricket Association pitch curator allowing people to tamper with the pitch on the eve of the second ODI between India and New Zealand in Pune.

    Pandurang Salgaonkar has been caught on camera talking to our reporters, who were disguised as bookies, revealing that the pitch will be made according to their demands.

    The reporters asked Salgaonkar that two players want bounce on the pitch and if it can be done to which Salgaonkar replied, "it will be done".

    Salgaonkar also said that it is going to be a 337-340 wicket either way. He also assured on camera that a score as big as 337 will be chaseable.

    Salgaonkar even allowed our reporters to inspect the pitch in person, clearly violating the laws as set by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and the International Cricket Council (ICC).

    MCA president Abhay Apte spoke to India Today right after the sting operation was aired and he said, "We will look into the matter. Rest assured, if anyone found guilty, strict action will be taken."

    This is yet another big blow to the Indian cricket board which had just about got back on its feet after being hit by the Indian Premier League spot-fixing and betting scandal in 2013.

    Remember the pitch in question here is the same one which was rated poor by the ICC after the India-Australia Test match which was played in February this year.

    Australia had thrashed India by 333 runs on a rank-turner after the hosts were bowled out for 105 and 107 in both innings and the match finished within three days.

    India are trailing 0-1 in the three-match series after losing the first match by 6 wickets at the Wankhede stadium in Mumbai.
    Last edited by MenInG; 25th October 2017 at 06:39.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Runs
    296
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aisa bhi hota h

  3. #3
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    84,101
    Mentioned
    1413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Incredible ; surely this is serious


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  4. #4
    Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    720
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is what happens when curators aren't paid good salaries. Almost all associations got curators on meagre salaries and that too is not paid on time. Unless curators aren't brought directly under BCCI and paid salaries directly, instead of through the associations, there will be attempts to approach them by bookies, given their pathetic financial rewards they get.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    814
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats going on in cricket world

  6. #6
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Runs
    296
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow refree will take decision on today's match
    Last edited by MenInG; 25th October 2017 at 07:16.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    84,101
    Mentioned
    1413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    New Delhi: In what could snowball into a major controversy, Pune's Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium's pitch curator Pandurang Salgaoncar was seen giving inside information to reporters disguised as bookies, in a sting operation done by India Today.

    This comes just hours before India lock horns against New Zealand in the second ODI of the three-match series at the same venue. Pandurang Salgaonkar can be seen on camera talking where he revealed that the pitch will be a high scoring one and that even a score in excess of 337 runs could be chasable.


    The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and International Cricket Council (ICC) rules state that no one — other than the officials — can come inside the stadium or inspect the pitch for that matter. However, Salgaoncar can be seen in the sting operation footage, allowing the India Today reporters to look at the pitch ahead of the international match.

    When asked by the India Today reporters on whether unauthorised persons can reach the playing surface, Salgaoncar can be heard saying that such a thing is not allowed by the BCCI or the ICC.

    When asked that couple of players wanted some bounce on the wicket, then Salgaoncar boasted 'it will be done'. He also mentioned the fact that the wicket will be a 350+ wicket and the team batting second can also chase down the target as it will be a batting paradise.

    Reacting to the developments, BCCI's acting President CK Khanna told Cricketnext that action would be taken on against the curator if he is found guilty.

    "The matter has come to our notice and we are looking into the details. Too early to announce quantum of punishment, but BCCI has a zero tolerance policy towards corruption and fixing and strong action will be taken if found guilty," BCCI acting President CK Khanna told Cricketnext.

    While another BCCI official, who didn't want to come on record said that: This is completely uncalled for and every BCCI accredited member is well aware with the rules and regulations and about the security and entering the field of play, so such an incident should not have occurred under any circumstance. There is no way that such a lapse can be justified if it has happened. Strict action will be taken if found guilty," the official said.

    The last time India played at the Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium in Pune, the ICC labelled the pitch 'poor', as the first match of the three-Test series between India and Australia had ended in the post-tea session on the third day. Spin wizard Shane Warne had famously referred to the surface as an ‘eighth day wicket’ on the first day of the match itself.

    Incidentally, curator Pandurang Salgaoncar spoke to Cricketnext on Tuesday and said that he is confident of avoiding a similar fate this time as India play New Zealand in the second ODI on Wednesday.

    Speaking to CricketNext, Salgaoncar had said that he is certain that the pitch will play well and there will be no reason to complain about playing conditions. “It will be a good cricket pitch and we will have a good match. I am not allowed to speak to the media and this is all I can say at this point in time,” he said

    http://www.news18.com/cricketnext/ne...i-1556091.html


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  8. #8
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Runs
    296
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    m.hindustantimes.com/cricket/ex-bcci-secretary-calls-for-cbi-inquiry-into-pitch-fixing-in-pune-test/story-hzgZ0FkiUdCJ3PRpICfL7J_amp.html


    ^ This is 1st March 2017 report

  9. #9
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Runs
    296
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India-New Zealand Pune ODI will not be called off, referee to take final call: Sources


    Might use other pitch

  10. #10
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    84,101
    Mentioned
    1413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    How long has this been going on for?


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  11. #11
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    1,635
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this is why we lost that Pune test, heads must roll

  12. #12
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    814
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope newzealand doesnt score 337 unless people will call it a fix match

  13. #13
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    84,101
    Mentioned
    1413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    I am here to just make one statement because since morning there has been some news which is appearing on the television on a very disturbing subject. So I have to tell that the MCA, of course the BCCI too, along with the Committee of the Administrators (CoA) have zero tolerance on such subjects, so MCA will be making a detailed enquiry on what has happened or what has appeared on the television. But before we have our urgent meeting, in the capacity of the MCA President, I have taken Mr. Salgaoncar under suspension with immediate effect, and all his work has been withdrawn, including his basic membership with the MCA has been withdrawn. The ICC observer has approved the pitch, the match will start on schedule: Abhay Apte, MCA President.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  14. #14
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    581
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh, this is Indian cricket. Anything is possible.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    1,598
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Disgusting stuff.

    Justice should be served and sentence the implicated people to prison.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    18,592
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was always known that Indians doctor the pitches as per Indian team's needs. But this new angle casts shadows of doubts on whether the rank turners were in fact made on demand of bookies.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    29,562
    Mentioned
    4737 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Corruption is rife.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    1,635
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    It was always known that Indians doctor the pitches as per Indian team's needs. But this new angle casts shadows of doubts on whether the rank turners were in fact made on demand of bookies.
    Every team does that, we get green seamers in NZ, Eng, SA & concrete roads in Aus. When was the last time you saw a spinner's paradise, when India toured, in any of these pkaces as opposed to the occasional seaming track they encounter playing in India viz Kolkata vs NZ or Dharamshala vs Aus?

  19. #19
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ridiculous!

    Ban the stadium for 2 years.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    406
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All matches played in this stadium should have their results voided from the record books so far as this curator was in charge

  21. #21
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    27,200
    Mentioned
    840 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    But, but, but... Indian players don't get tailor-made pitches at home.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    9,651
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO this is just the tip of the iceberg.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    102
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had this been related to Pakistan Cricket Team, I'm sure this would have been all over the Media channels. Since its India, I doubt this story will get much publicity.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    9,651
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billa86 View Post
    Had this been related to Pakistan Cricket Team, I'm sure this would have been all over the Media channels. Since its India, I doubt this story will get much publicity.
    Agreed.
    This is a biggie but seems it’s in the best interests of some people to keep it under wraps.
    Last edited by MenInG; 25th October 2017 at 11:34.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    285
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something new for the indian posters to cover-up and defend shamelessly rofl.

    Its not just this one curator or BCCI official, I'm sure more are involved.

    Can't even accept facts if reiterated by foreign players like Ajmal.

    No wonder India's whole system is corrupt and rotten. There is too much fake pride to protect the same fixers destroying them.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    18,592
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0H1T View Post
    Every team does that, we get green seamers in NZ, Eng, SA & concrete roads in Aus. When was the last time you saw a spinner's paradise, when India toured, in any of these pkaces as opposed to the occasional seaming track they encounter playing in India viz Kolkata vs NZ or Dharamshala vs Aus?
    I didnt say others dont do it. Why are you getting defensive?

    And to be honest, i dont care how the pitch is if the test match lasts 5 days.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    84,101
    Mentioned
    1413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Serious stuff and ICC's silence on this speaks volumes. ACU should have been in action immediately.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  28. #28
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    140
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the bigger question is "how long this has been going for ?"

    india in future have chased scores over 350 with ease. Everything is becoming clear now, india is the birthplace of fixers and bookies

  29. #29
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    8,144
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The Curators are paid a pittance and they have families to feed. I am surprised that they and umpires are not targetted more by bookies.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    1,635
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    The Curators are paid a pittance and they have families to feed. I am surprised that they and umpires are not targetted more by bookies.
    That explains the two (3?) dodgy, umpire's call, lbws not given against Aus in our SF against them.

  31. #31
    Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    262
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raja Sab View Post
    the bigger question is "how long this has been going for ?"

    india in future have chased scores over 350 with ease. Everything is becoming clear now, india is the birthplace of fixers and bookies
    you know future

  32. #32
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    5,121
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disgraceful.Should never be allowed to enter a cricket ground again.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    5,116
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shameful stuff. I hope people get the difference between curator doing this for bookies just like corrupt players do spot/ match fixing and is different from Indian team/ BCCI's involvement.

    BCCI needs to have a look at curator salaries and also monitor activities of these folks before domestic/ international matches.

    So this is the reason why we lost Pune test against AUS gry:


    ...

  34. #34
    Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    NB, Canada
    Runs
    2,217
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Will always be fixing and corruption in asian nations because people get paid poorly, along with the fact that many in the cricketing world are uneducated on these issues.


    Babar Azam: Runs 8032, Average 44, Top Score: 204, Fav fan: CricFan2012

  35. #35
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    140
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricFan2012 View Post
    Will always be fixing and corruption in asian nations because people get paid poorly, along with the fact that many in the cricketing world are uneducated on these issues.
    South African players get 900 for a T20

    Indian players get paid the most in all form of cricket yet we see IPL fixing and International fixing taking birth

  36. #36
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    16,704
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)



    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  37. #37
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    70,573
    Mentioned
    3888 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    It is funny how the usual suspects are blaming India for doctoring pitches. Every single team in the world does it and they have every right to do so; this is what home advantage is all about.

    Pakistan has also done it in the past and will continue to do so in the future. One doesn't need to look beyond the pitches that were prepared to nullify the threat of Lillee. Yes it is difficult to achieve in the UAE, but it has actually been a blessing in disguise. Dustbowls don't suit Pakistan because our of rubbish batting.

    If we doctor pitches, we would lose a lot more games because our batting is not good enough to cope with difficult pitches. Our best bet of winning Tests is to play on a road and hope the opposition will collapse under scoreboard pressure, and that is how we have been winning most of our Tests.

    The desperation in this thread is hilarious but not surprising.

    The curator should be prosecuted, but that is where this ends. BCCI have the right to influence pitches.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    102
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    It is funny how the usual suspects are blaming India for doctoring pitches. Every single team in the world does it and they have every right to do so; this is what home advantage is all about.

    Pakistan has also done it in the past and will continue to do so in the future. One doesn't need to look beyond the pitches that were prepared to nullify the threat of Lillee. Yes it is difficult to achieve in the UAE, but it has actually been a blessing in disguise. Dustbowls don't suit Pakistan because our of rubbish batting.

    If we doctor pitches, we would lose a lot more games because our batting is not good enough to cope with difficult pitches. Our best bet of winning Tests is to play on a road and hope the opposition will collapse under scoreboard pressure, and that is how we have been winning most of our Tests.

    The desperation in this thread is hilarious but not surprising.

    The curator should be prosecuted, but that is where this ends. BCCI have the right to influence pitches.
    Mamoon Bai, the issue is not about doctoring the pitch conditions and Yes every team does this to press home advantage. The issue here is, curator of pitch willing to doctor the pitch for bookies...

  39. #39
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    70,573
    Mentioned
    3888 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billa86 View Post
    Mamoon Bai, the issue is not about doctoring the pitch conditions and Yes every team does this to press home advantage. The issue here is, curator of pitch willing to doctor the pitch for bookies...
    As I said, the curator should be punished for it. However, there is no point in dragging Indian cricket into the mud. If anything, blame goes to the regional cricket boards who probably pay these curators peanuts. These people have full-time jobs and if you are not going to pay them good salaries, they will undoubtedly opt for bribes and kickbacks, so I do have some empathy for the poor, elderly gentleman.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    12,340
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Corruption strikes again in cricket.

    Sad day for the game we love but it's shameful to see posters like Mamoon attempting to shove this dirt under the carpet.

  41. #41
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    140
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    As I said, the curator should be punished for it. However, there is no point in dragging Indian cricket into the mud. If anything, blame goes to the regional cricket boards who probably pay these curators peanuts. These people have full-time jobs and if you are not going to pay them good salaries, they will undoubtedly opt for bribes and kickbacks, so I do have some empathy for the poor, elderly gentleman.
    you have empathy for a criminal. Didn't know it was a good thing to have for someone who broke a law

  42. #42
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    12,915
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0H1T View Post
    Every team does that, we get green seamers in NZ, Eng, SA & concrete roads in Aus. When was the last time you saw a spinner's paradise, when India toured, in any of these pkaces as opposed to the occasional seaming track they encounter playing in India viz Kolkata vs NZ or Dharamshala vs Aus?
    The home advantage is a massive problem in tests in general. Sides win at home, lose in foreign conditions. Has become almost clockwork. Every team does it. There's particularly become a divide between asian and non-asian boards, neither do a great job playing on each other's home surface bar a few exceptions (SA is excluded from this who in general over the past couple of decades have done well away and home).

    With the greater focus on LOI, there isn't time to attune properly to the conditions or have enough practice matches. At least in LOI with the flatter pitches, the home advantage is reduced.

    I don't know how they can fix this, very difficult to regulate pitches, and I don't think India doctor their pitches any more than other sides. I'd support the idea of giving greater points to away games though as it's harder to do.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    12,915
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On topic I'd like to see an investigation into the pay of the curators. If it's deemed enough for liveable standards though that's fine, there's a lot of badly paid jobs, especially in a poorer country. Doesn't excuse them to turn to corruption.

    I'd ban the curator for life, just like the ban should be for any cricketer caught fixing. India are a fairly wealthy board and in the long run, perhaps upping the curator's salaries a little bit to discourage fixing might be a wise move here and prevent any situations like this happening again (might even save them money in the long run as a result).

  44. #44
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    285
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this would've happened in Pakistan, Sri Lanka or South Africa pretty sure ACSU would'nt have reacted in this manner. Pathetic stance by ACSU and shows how much this organization ICC powers are restricted to few nations including Pakistan.

    Pune pitch scandal: ACSU ready to ‘help’ ICC ‘if required’

    Even as Board of Control for Cricket in India’s (BCCI) acting president C. K. Khanna says that he has written to the Board’s Anti-Corruption and Security Unit (ACSU) to look into the Pune pitch scandal, Sportstar has reliably learnt that the ACSU will only ‘help’ the ICC ‘if required’.

    On Wednesday morning, reports emerged that Pune pitch curator Pandurang Salgaonkar had agreed to ‘tamper’ the pitch after some television reporters, posed as bookies, approached him. And reacting strongly, the Board’s acting president told Sportstar that it would investigate the matter and even asked the ACSU chief Neeraj Kumar to look into it and submit a report.

    READ: Salgaonkar suspended, confirms BCCI acting president

    But a highly-placed source in the Board-run ACSU confirmed to Sportstar that it will only react if the ICC asks them to. “Nobody from the Board has asked us to look into the matter. And it being an international match, it comes under the purview of the ICC, and the ICC’s ACU. They are looking into the matter,” the source said.

    The ball now is in ICC’s court, the source confirmed that it will coordinate with the ICC’s ACU team if they require any local help. “If they (the ICC) need any local help, we will provide that. They already have an ICC ACU manager in Pune and more officers are likely to join from the headquarters. They will act together and conduct a probe,” the source said, quickly adding: “We will act only in case they (the ICC) ask for our help.”

    Asked whether the domestic ACSU unit will conduct any internal probe into the matter, the source said that it will depend on the findings of the ICC’s ACU. “There is no point in duplicating. If they ask us to look into any particular area, we will do that,” the source said. This indicates that the Board-run ACSU has very little to do in the case, which falls under the jurisdiction of the ICC.

    On its part, the ICC has already started the investigation. Confirming the development, an ICC spokesperson told Sportstar: “We are investigating the allegations from Pune this morning, as with all international cricket, the ICC Anti-Corruption Unit has an ICC ACU Manager on the ground in India and we are in close contact with him.”

    The spokesperson also added that the cricket’s governing body is looking into all the areas. “We are now looking to establish the facts and will make no further comment whilst this is ongoing,” the spokesperson said.

  45. #45
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    101
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a well known fact that many Indian pitches in the past have turned out to be completely visitor friendly throwing away the home advantage. Now we know!!

  46. #46
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    470
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This 'll be brushed under the carpet... Shameful to see some posters are trying to bring pakistan as an example into this. who does and who doesn't is not the concern. Its about who is caught and should be investigated properly.

  47. #47
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    3,031
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who thought things like this didn't happen in India/Pakistan/world cricket was fooling themselves. Fixing of all kinds is very prevalent and it has effected every team, in particular the Sub continent teams. People who like to say otherwise are not being true to reality. The Mecca of fixing has always been India...and it's very stupid to believe Indian players/officials individuals don't have any involvement in fixing or manipulating the system.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    70,573
    Mentioned
    3888 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raja Sab View Post
    you have empathy for a criminal. Didn't know it was a good thing to have for someone who broke a law
    Sympathy leads to empathy. Yes crime is a crime, but you have take other factors into consideration and look at the bigger picture and the context. Look up, Frank Caprio, you will find him very inspiring.

    This curator is an old guy who was probably paid a pittance. He doesn't have much future earning potential based on his age and lack of qualifications. He is not comparable to a player who does fixing while having millions in the bank and massive earning potential in the future.

    As long as the curators are underpaid these things will happen. He should be punished because law is law, but there is no need of comparing to players who do match-fixing.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    8,757
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Great going. Nipping corruption in the bud. Credit to the media for exposing, and the state cricket board as well as BCCI taking prompt action. cricket is in good hands.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    1,635
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lehen View Post
    It is a well known fact that many Indian pitches in the past have turned out to be completely visitor friendly throwing away the home advantage. Now we know!!
    Yeah explains the one test wonder O'keefe & the Nagpur blunder, last decade, perfectly! Manohar should be held accountable as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Raja Sab View Post
    you have empathy for a criminal. Didn't know it was a good thing to have for someone who broke a law
    MA says hi
    Last edited by R0H1T; 25th October 2017 at 15:15.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    470
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.... so the curator is old guy trying to earn for his family and no need to compare same with players who are poor and trying make quick bucks because of their family's financial issues?

  52. #52
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    12,915
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    Interesting.... so the curator is old guy trying to earn for his family and no need to compare same with players who are poor and trying make quick bucks because of their family's financial issues?
    Both should be punished and both have done something wrong. In fact both should get the same punishment really, ban for life.

    However I agree with Mamoon it is different to some extent. The curator probably gets paid very little for what is likely a tough job.

    Players even in Pakistan get paid a salary far higher than the average, in fact they are amongst the highest paid in Pakistan. Even if they are much below one would expect for an international sportsman. They don't earn so little they have to worry about things such as food on the table etc. There's also a big pay difference between international and domestic cricketers, the latter some indeed do struggle to get a decent wage, which is why perhaps it's pretty disgraceful that cricketers would fix on international stage while most domestic cricketers will toil away never getting a chance to represent their country.

    I'm sure the curator will be fired and never get to work again as a curator. I think the same thing would happen in Pakistan, would get banned for life, even though caught cricketers get banned for only a few years.

  53. #53
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    84,101
    Mentioned
    1413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Sorry but a curator manipulating pitches or providing insight is bad news for ALL Cricket countries. Probably slipped under the radar but just goes to show that no country is immune to this evil


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  54. #54
    Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    22,052
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0H1T View Post
    Every team does that, we get green seamers in NZ, Eng, SA & concrete roads in Aus. When was the last time you saw a spinner's paradise, when India toured, in any of these pkaces as opposed to the occasional seaming track they encounter playing in India viz Kolkata vs NZ or Dharamshala vs Aus?
    All the time. Last time India toured Australia they did not play at Perth or Gabba. Wickets were extra day with little grass.

    In England, the wickets were pretty much dry with little grass. India was done in by reverse swing by Broad. If India got the pitches we got in 2010, test would be over in 3 days.


    No one likes me cause I am a Paul Heyman guy.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    174
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can any Indian deny doctoring when there is evidence of it right front their face?

  56. #56
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    84,101
    Mentioned
    1413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinwari Khan View Post
    How can any Indian deny doctoring when there is evidence of it right front their face?
    There is no evidence. All we know is that one guy, curator, has been caught in a sting op.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  57. #57
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    84,101
    Mentioned
    1413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    NEW DELHI (Reuters) - The International Cricket Council (ICC) has launched a probe after a curator in Pune was caught in a TV sting operation allegedly promising to manipulate the pitch ahead of Wednesday’s second one-dayer between India and New Zealand.

    Pandurang Salgaonkar has been suspended but the match at the Maharashtra Cricket Association (MCA) Stadium began on schedule after ICC match referee Chris Broad cleared the pitch.

    “We are investigating the allegations from Pune this morning,” an ICC spokesman said.

    ”As with all international cricket, the ICC Anti-Corruption Unit has an ICC ACU Manager on the ground in India and we are in close contact with him.

    “We are now looking to establish the facts and will make no further comment whilst this is ongoing.”

    India Today TV showed Salgaonkar allegedly telling their undercover reporters -- who posed as bookies -- he could manipulate the pitch and sharing information about the playing surface in violation of ICC’s anti-corruption code.

    The Indian cricket board (BCCI) has sought a detailed report from the local host MCA.

    “A strict action has been taken against the pitch curator and the employment relationship between Pandurang Salgaonkar and MCA stands terminated,” BCCI Chief Executive Rahul Johri said in a statement.

    “The BCCI is in touch with the MCA and appropriate measures will be taken with regards to the matter. The BCCI will continue to enforce strict measures in case of such misconduct in the future.”

    New Zealand, who clinched the first one-dayer in Mumbai by six wickets, won the toss and elected to bat hoping to win the three-match series with a game to spare.

    http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-cri...-idUKKBN1CU17A


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  58. #58
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    140
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Sympathy leads to empathy. Yes crime is a crime, but you have take other factors into consideration and look at the bigger picture and the context. Look up, Frank Caprio, you will find him very inspiring.

    This curator is an old guy who was probably paid a pittance. He doesn't have much future earning potential based on his age and lack of qualifications. He is not comparable to a player who does fixing while having millions in the bank and massive earning potential in the future.

    As long as the curators are underpaid these things will happen. He should be punished because law is law, but there is no need of comparing to players who do match-fixing.
    may I know how you know so much about this "old man" or are you making stuff up with just one picture of him ?

    Criminal is a criminal, you should never sympathize with a killer because he's a criminal, likewise he took money to fix pitch according to request which not only is a case of fixing but fraud

  59. #59
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    174
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    There is no evidence. All we know is that one guy, curator, has been caught in a sting op.
    Which means that doctoring curation is easily possible in india..

  60. #60
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    1,389
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen wickets in England with so much grass on it, it was hard to differentiate it from the outfield !!!!

  61. #61
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    174
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadevdesai View Post
    I have seen wickets in England with so much grass on it, it was hard to differentiate it from the outfield !!!!
    Like in the Champions Trophy??

    Stop trying to justify pitch doctoring.

  62. #62
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is outrages, how long has this been going on, makes you wonder, icc needs to take action immediately ban pitch for 5 years. and all matches played on pitch with this curator should be investigated. and further more bbci should be investigated as they allowed this to happen.

  63. #63
    Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Dublin
    Runs
    2,302
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a huge surprise really. It seems this is Indian, and Pakistani, society in general. And of course this is not the only curator who does it.

  64. #64
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    1,635
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post
    All the time. Last time India toured Australia they did not play at Perth or Gabba. Wickets were extra day with little grass.

    In England, the wickets were pretty much dry with little grass. India was done in by reverse swing by Broad. If India got the pitches we got in 2010, test would be over in 3 days.
    We played at Gabba, not Perth though but then they aren't the biggest draws when you're talking about India, besides they play at 6 (7?) venues in the summer so if there's a game at Perth or Gabba before we toured then India doesn't play at those venues.

    They weren't, Lord was the greenest in more than a decade, same goes for the last two tests which were seamer's paradise especially with the cloud cover.

    You probably remember 2011 tour, though in England clouds make more of a difference than sometimes what's in the surface.
    Last edited by R0H1T; 25th October 2017 at 17:02.

  65. #65
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    285
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    Not a huge surprise really. It seems this is Indian, and Pakistani, society in general. And of course this is not the only curator who does it.
    Why are you involving Pakistani society about an Indian issue?

    If such issue happened in Pakistan would you equate it with India? ohh this is just a subcontinent thing, lame excuse

    Stick to India and don't involve other nations incl. Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. No nation on earth can compete with the amount of corruption, fixing and bookmakers of India.

  66. #66
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    1,389
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think anyone can FIX a pitch only hours before a match ..... maybe by some extra watering or less than normal watering .... whatever !!!! This guy, Pandurang, just wanted to shoot off his mouth, and sound very important and skilled, but got caught !!!!! This will surely give the Indians a baaaaad name for a while, and few more Heads may roll ..... but for a while at least Pune will be a safe place to play !!!!!!

  67. #67
    Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    3,239
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinwari Khan View Post
    Like in the Champions Trophy??

    Stop trying to justify pitch doctoring.
    There is nothing to justify. It happens everywhere in the world and it is completely fine.

  68. #68
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    7,963
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    Not a huge surprise really. It seems this is Indian, and Pakistani, society in general. And of course this is not the only curator who does it.
    What has Pakistan got to do with this?

  69. #69
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    130
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    What has Pakistan got to do with this?
    He means fixing is in DNA 😃

  70. #70
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    1,774
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The newspaper obviously trapped an easy target, the pitch curator. First of all condition of pitch can't guarantee a score or the outcome of the match. And it is the home side that decides what kind of pitch they want. However for a fixer any info is valuable.

  71. #71
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    67,120
    Mentioned
    1341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Bizarre stuff.

    No excuses for the guy.

    A proper and thorough investigation needs to be done.



  72. #72
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    26,681
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadevdesai View Post
    I don’t think anyone can FIX a pitch only hours before a match ..... maybe by some extra watering or less than normal watering .... whatever !!!! This guy, Pandurang, just wanted to shoot off his mouth, and sound very important and skilled, but got caught !!!!! This will surely give the Indians a baaaaad name for a while, and few more Heads may roll ..... but for a while at least Pune will be a safe place to play !!!!!!
    Maybe he was suggesting he could do it now, therefore could do in the future too?

    It's a bookies dream to know or have a pitch suited to their gambling odds. If they know it's a very slow pitch where runs will be hard to come by they can arrange betting accordingly.


    Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

  73. #73
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    12,789
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Being poor [or not] shouldn't justify corruption. Funny how that specific subject would conclude if a Pakistani was involved, be it a player or a curator...

    #JustSaying


    "When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

  74. #74
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    12,789
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Btw I think the question should be why was he being filmed in the first instance.

    Was it because someone tipped the media off about him and how he done that before?

    If so, I wonder how many more pitches did he "doctor" for money.


    "When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

  75. #75
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    70,573
    Mentioned
    3888 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raja Sab View Post
    may I know how you know so much about this "old man" or are you making stuff up with just one picture of him ?

    Criminal is a criminal, you should never sympathize with a killer because he's a criminal, likewise he took money to fix pitch according to request which not only is a case of fixing but fraud
    I don't know much about him but what I can see is enough for me. He is nearly 70 years old and is still working as a curator, which is not a highly-paid job. If you are that old and are working a full-time job where you are paid peanuts, you are highly unlikely to be in a good financial position and you don't have the qualifications to do a better job.

    Yes crime is crime and law is law, but a person doing corruption to put food on table for his family at the age of 70 is not the same as a young player doing corruption for an extra million when he already has enough net worth to live a lavish life without working for a single day.

    I don't agree with you that you should never sympathize with people who break the law; it is often not black and white, and it is important to look at the bigger picture. You cannot improve society with tunnel-vision. It is important to look at the circumstances/events that lead to a criminal committing the crime, so that it can be avoided in the future.

    Curators in countries like India and Pakistan are underpaid. Most of them are elderly people who are well past their retirement age but are still working full-time, which obviously means that they don't have the education and the skills for a better paid job and they don't have enough money to retire. This Pune curator is probably one of the many across the two countries who are ready to tinker with the pitch for some extra cash.

  76. #76
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    140
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    I don't know much about him but what I can see is enough for me. He is nearly 70 years old and is still working as a curator, which is not a highly-paid job. If you are that old and are working a full-time job where you are paid peanuts, you are highly unlikely to be in a good financial position and you don't have the qualifications to do a better job.

    Yes crime is crime and law is law, but a person doing corruption to put food on table for his family at the age of 70 is not the same as a young player doing corruption for an extra million when he already has enough net worth to live a lavish life without working for a single day.

    I don't agree with you that you should never sympathize with people who break the law; it is often not black and white, and it is important to look at the bigger picture. You cannot improve society with tunnel-vision. It is important to look at the circumstances/events that lead to a criminal committing the crime, so that it can be avoided in the future.

    Curators in countries like India and Pakistan are underpaid. Most of them are elderly people who are well past their retirement age but are still working full-time, which obviously means that they don't have the education and the skills for a better paid job and they don't have enough money to retire. This Pune curator is probably one of the many across the two countries who are ready to tinker with the pitch for some extra cash.
    how do you know he's getting peanuts, surely this isn't the first time he's done this. Who knows he might be a millionaire. He should be put in jail for doing the wrong thing. There's no sympathy whatsoever here. If you're 70 years old then it probably means your kids are grown up and earning on their own. And if he's not getting any other extra paid job then that's his own fault, no need whatsoever to sympathize with a criminal, he's part of corruption and should be dealt with

  77. #77
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    4,544
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is pathetic! Some serious introspection needed here.


    If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn’t arrived yet: Viv Richards

  78. #78
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    285
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Mamoon

    The curator Mr. Salgaoncar is a former chief selector, first class cricketer of Maharashtra state [for ranji trophy]

    as well as runs cricket academy in the city.

    He has the job cos he is is very close to the BCCI and local cricket association.

  79. #79
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    21,492
    Mentioned
    1056 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinwari Khan View Post
    Like in the Champions Trophy??

    Stop trying to justify pitch doctoring.
    Home Team are allowed to put a pitch of its choice.Stop crying.

    A curator offering info in a sting OP is a different thing.

  80. #80
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    84,101
    Mentioned
    1413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    Being poor [or not] shouldn't justify corruption. Funny how that specific subject would conclude if a Pakistani was involved, be it a player or a curator...

    #JustSaying
    So now there is a price for being honest it seems


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •