Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Have to pinch myself when I see the rankings and see myself ahead of such great names" : Hasan Ali

Hasan Ali starred as Pakistan defied the odds to win the Championship Trophy and recently took the No 1 spot in the ODI bowling rankings. Saj Sadiq spoke to him about how he reached this point and his hopes for the future...

Q. It's been an incredible few months for you hasn't it. How have you adjusted to all this fame and becoming a cricketing star?

Hasan Ali:
    It truly has been incredible and I'm thankful to the Almighty, my family, team-mates, the coaching staff and my friends for this success. I've had to put in a lot of hard work to reach this level and have had to make a lot of sacrifices and I feel that I am now reaping the rewards for that effort.

Q. You've gone from being another bowler with potential in Pakistan domestic cricket to one of the top bowlers in the world. What has made the difference?

HA:
    I think it's simply down to the fact that I am so focused on cricket. I appreciate cricket and I understand the game very well and of course you don't get anywhere in life without hard work and effort. I feel that you cannot progress without being totally committed and without wanting to reach the top of your profession.

Q. You've reached the No 1 position in the ICC ODI bowling rankings, that must give you a lot of satisfaction

HA:
    I think the team management deserves most of the praise and also my captain and my team-mates. In addition, my family especially my brother deserves praise too. He always believed in me and without his support I wouldn't be playing international cricket today.

Also, you cannot do something like this on your own, you have to have the support of colleagues around you and their support has been magnificent. I have to pinch myself when I see the rankings list and see myself ahead of such great names

Q. Pakistan has seen some wonderful talents come onto the scene and then disappear, quite often due to controversial reasons. Some fans are worried that you may also end up this way. What can you say to alleviate those concerns?

HA:
    There are many examples of such players in front of us. We all know about what has become of Sharjeel Khan, a wonderful and talented cricketer who had made his way into the Pakistan team in all three formats. I think we need to look at such examples and learn from them and realise what is right and what is wrong.

I look at it this way, my job is to play cricket and that's all I want to do. I don't want to get involved in anything that will tarnish my reputation or the reputation of my country. I'm focused on cricket and only cricket and rest assured that's the way it will remain.

Q. There are some who suggest it will be better in the long run if you only play the two limited-overs formats to reduce the risk of injury and burnout. Are you in agreement with this strategy?

HA:
    I'm happy to be picked in all three formats. There are differing skills a bowler needs to possess to be successful in each of these formats and I believe that playing in the different formats helps you improve as a bowler and learn more about the art of bowling and helps you learn more about yourself as a cricketer.

Over the last 12 months or so I feel I have become a lot stronger and physically fitter and I want to play in all three formats but for that to happen I think that I probably need to improve my fitness levels even more than I have. A cricketer wants to play in every match and I am no different.

As long as I keep getting picked I will be a happy man. But if at some point in the future my body is struggling to cope then we will have to make a decision about which format to sacrifice for the greater good.

Q. Tell us about the special day at The Oval when Pakistan beat India to lift the Champions Trophy?

HA:
    To be the bottom-ranked team and to go into a tournament and win it was just incredible. We were even struggling to qualify for that tournament and to go there and beat the best and win the tournament was just stuff that dreams are made of.

I will never forget that day for as long as I live. It doesn't matter what happens to me in future in cricket, June 18, 2017 will be a day that I will never forget. So far, it's been the best day of my life and only a World Cup win will better that day.

Q. You speak about a possible World Cup win in future. Imagine it's 2019 and you've beaten India in the World Cup final, now that would be pretty special, wouldn't it?

HA:
    Beating anyone in a World Cup final would be special. India or anyone else for that matter, as long as we win it. When I started playing cricket I dreamt of winning a World Cup final and that is still my dream despite winning the Champions Trophy.

The other part of my dream is to win the best bowler of the tournament at a World Cup and I hope that I can fulfil that dream in 2019.

Q. Cricket at times is described as being dull by some. The game needs entertainers like you, doesn't it?

HA:
    I enjoy life, I enjoy cricket and I enjoy being out there playing cricket in front of thousands in the stadium, with millions watching around the world. I see myself as a performer, an entertainer and a cricketer.

I always believe that whether you are having a good day or a bad day, just smile and don't hurt anyone's feelings. Instead, focus on going out there on the field and entertaining the public.

I'm a jolly person and mischievous and I go out there to play hard cricket but also to entertain the fans and enjoy myself.

Q. Your celebration after a wicket has become very popular amongst the masses. However, isn't there a risk of injury when you do that celebration?

HA:
    I get lost in the moment and it just happens. But, during the series against the World XI my back was stiff, and I thought to myself perhaps it was due to over-celebrating a wicket.

The team doctor said to me that maybe I needed to tone down the celebration, but I said to him that will not happen, the celebration will not change and will not be reduced and instead I will work on getting even stronger.

Q. What does a captain or coach need to say to you to get the best out of you?

HA:
    I just need some guidance and clarity on the plans. Azhar Mahmood, Mickey Arthur and Sarfaraz Ahmed give all of us directions and instructions at team meetings and that works for me. Yes, I watch videos of the opposing batsmen, but I think over-analysis isn't needed.

The fact is that a good ball is a good ball to any batsman out there. I tend to prefer to stick to my basics and to my strengths and go out there and concentrate on what I can do rather than worry too much about how good the opposition batsmen are.

Q. In the 50-over format most captains and bowlers are happy to contain, but you bring a wicket-taking edge and provide something different, don't you?

HA:
    I see myself in the team as a wicket-taking bowler whenever I am given the ball. I go out there to not only contain the opposition but to do that by taking wickets.

The middle overs can be fruitful for the batting team, but I feel that by taking wickets you are hampering the rhythm of the opposition and unsettling them and their game-plans.

Whether I have the bat, the ball or am in the field, I want to attack the opponents and don't believe in defensive cricket.

Q. How was the recent experience of playing in Lahore against the World XI and Sri Lanka?

HA:
    I was so happy to, firstly, play in the Pakistan Super League final in Lahore and then to follow it up by playing against the World XI and then Sri Lanka in Lahore was just an amazing feeling.

Packed stadiums full of your countrymen, the noise, the colour and the atmosphere, it was simply unforgettable. There is no feeling for a cricketer like playing in a full stadium which is jam-packed, and the fans are shouting your name and cheering everything you do.

It made me really proud to be a Pakistani to see international cricket returning to Pakistan and I hope we now see more international cricket in Pakistan on a regular basis.

Q. The hopes of you and your team-mates must be to get the opportunity like other cricketers around the world to play regularly in home conditions?

HA:
    Absolutely. It's so normal for most cricketers around the world to be playing for their country at home, in front of their own people, but for Pakistani cricketers, of course, this has not been the case and I hope that this now changes.

I think the recent matches have shown that there are no security issues in Pakistan and I hope other teams also follow Sri Lanka and come to Pakistan.

Q. Mickey Arthur looks very stern-faced and Sarfaraz Ahmed regularly shouts at the players. It must be difficult to get away with your mischief with both of them around?

HA: Mickey always looks worried and tense but he's a good man. His focus is very much on the game which is a good thing for our team. Regarding Sarfaraz, I honestly like it when he shouts at me as that motivates me and I'm sure it's the same for the other players also.

Sarfaraz's shouting isn't really him getting angry at us, it's actually his way of reminding us that we need to keep our focus, not lose concentration and make sure that we are on our game. I enjoy him shouting at me and don't mind it at all.

Q. The Pakistan limited-overs team looks like it's in a good place at the moment…

HA:
    Whoever is coming into the team is doing well. The performances of whichever player performs and does well are appreciated by all of us.

For example, Usman Shinwari came into the team recently and did well and I was delighted for him and I really enjoyed watching him bowl and take wickets. It was almost like I was bowling and taking those wickets that Usman was.

Look at the way the youngster Shadab Khan has come into the team and shown he is capable of winning matches in any facet of the game. It's a treat to watch him perform and great to be a part of such an experience.

Faheem Ashraf and Fakhar Zaman are two other new players who have come in and settled into international cricket so well. Imam-ul-Haq recently made a hundred on debut and there are so many other performances to enjoy as well.

There is no issue of jealousy or rivalry and it's a great unit with all pulling in the same direction and enjoying each other's successes. In addition, there is a good combination of senior and junior players with the seniors really supporting and helping the younger guys.

If you have a good team ethic and the support network is there then you will always be successful.

Q. You are living the dream at the moment but what future aims and goals have you set for yourself?

HA:
    I want to continue in the same way that I have been in the last year or so and to maintain those high standards. I want to build on the good start I have had in my international career and not let my form dip at all. Also, I want to win the 2019 World Cup and be the highest wicket-taker at that tournament and be the player of the tournament.

http://www.skysports.com/cricket/new...o-1-odi-bowler

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    [... ]Also, I want to win the 2019 World Cup and be the highest wicket-taker at that tournament and be the player of the tournament.
    I can hear the fire in his words. Good luck! The more hard work you put in the luckier you get.

Nice interview.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    790 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The team doctor said to me that maybe I needed to tone down the celebration, but I said to him that will not happen, the celebration will not change and will not be reduced and instead I will work on getting even stronger.
    He's got the attitude of a fighter.

You gotta work until your idols become your rivals.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding Sarfaraz, I honestly like it when he shouts at me as that motivates me and I'm sure it's the same for the other players also.

Sarfaraz's shouting isn't really him getting angry at us, it's actually his way of reminding us that we need to keep our focus, not lose concentration and make sure that we are on our game. I enjoy him shouting at me and don't mind it at all.
    That settles that then. Exactly what I have said all along.
    Last edited by MenInG; 5th November 2017 at 15:33.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck .hope he remains injury free

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Absolute pleasure interviewing Hasan.

He spoke with passion as if he's out there on the field and meant every word.

There is an eagerness and hunger about him, someone who wants to just get better and better as a cricketer. No arrogance, just a down to earth lad who wants to be remembered as a very good cricketer who gave his all.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Absolute pleasure interviewing Hasan.

He spoke with passion as if he's out there on the field and meant every word.

There is an eagerness and hunger about him, someone who wants to just get better and better as a cricketer. No arrogance, just a down to earth lad who wants to be remembered as a very good cricketer who gave his all.
    I can tell he is like this just by watching him in the field.
    He has this gravitas about the way he carries himself.
    Something I wished babar had

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Should've asked him about opening the bowling. How does he plan to take over the new ball? He's gotta open the bowling if he's gonna become the best in the world.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Great interview with some good insightful answers. The guy definitely has the willpower to become the best in the world in all formats.

Like his answer about Sarfaraz yelling at players, it is a good motivation for them.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    Should've asked him about opening the bowling. How does he plan to take over the new ball? He's gotta open the bowling if he's gonna become the best in the world.
    not necessary, its great to have someone with great impact in middle overs and he should stick to his strength

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketfan no 1 View Post
    not necessary, its great to have someone with great impact in middle overs and he should stick to his strength
    It's absolutely necessary if he wants to become the best.

Nothing's stopping from having impact at the start and in the middle.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good interview. One of my favourite players in the current team. What I like about Hasan is his passion. What I like about his bowling is he is always looking to get wickets which is what makes him so dangerous. He's got better each series which is good too see.

Want to see him get a run of games in tests, he has the potential to be brilliant in that format as well.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see that Hasan really is thinking about winning a world cup!

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A champion bowler who should see much more success in the near future. Goes to show how hard work and determination can take you miles ahead of the rest.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is already the best... #1. No harm in having someone who kills the game in the middle overs as opposed to letting it run away like others can. And no we dont need to promote him to open bowling to improve his stats. This is the first time i'm seeing players and coaches approaching games and tournaments as a team - he does well for the team and is getting all the plaudits for his effort. Win win

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great interview- confirms everything I thought about him. His work ethic, attitude, dedication and passion for the game means he has the makings of a true champion.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Favourte Pakistani player.

Like everything about him.

A joy to watch and long may it continue.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is important to note the differences between Hasan and Amir. They are the equivalent of Kholi and Sharma comparisons also. One is naturally gifted and can produce a magical performance that leaves the imaginations of viewers perplexed while the other through pure hard work and determination makes seemingly inhumane efforts seem like a regular routine. Hasan and Kholi have the Kobe mentality while Amir and Sharma have the Shaq mentality.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Great desire, passion. A big heart and has that ambition to improve.

Hope he stays on the straight and narrow.