How do you rate Ajinkya Rahane in Tests?

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you rate Ajinkya Rahane in Tests?

He started his career on a high with excellent performances overseas in Aus, SA, Eng and NZ but since then his performance has been dismal and now he is averaging 45-46.

Will the coming overseas tour be the turnaround period for Rahane as far as tests are concerned?
    Last edited by UN talkz; 11th November 2017 at 22:57.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1044 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Very good batsman. He's everything we hoped Shafiq would become. Both have the skill and talent to succeed against the moving ball but Rahane is much stronger mentally.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ATG outside Asia but strictly average in Asia.

I put him behind Kohli and Pujara in tests as of now.

He will get brownie points for performance outside Asia in comparison to those who have done it in Asia only but to be one of the greats of the game, he needs to be a lot better in Asia.

Outside Asia- 9/10
    In Asia- 4/10

Overall- 7/10

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pujara is ahead of Rahane because the former now has two dominant complete home seasons while Rahane has just 1 dominant away tour.

We aren't sure if Rahane could replicate what he did the last time away from Asia. If he does it again, he will surpass Pujara.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All season batsman. Probably one of the best puller of fast bowling going around. Almost all channel 9 commies were left in awe with the way he pulled Mitch Johnson and other fast bowlers on bouncier tracks. He picks the length very quickly. His problem is home condition where spinners can pin him down. Among the fab 4 of the past Dravid was the least effective against spin. He kept getting out to Warne. Even he was better than our top lot against spin. If he can overcome his indecisiviness against spin he will become a complete batsman.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    879 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Very good batsman, specially on away tours. Has still room for moving ahead.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Brilliant player versus lateral movement and bounce. But for me in Asia he needs to improve . Furthermore most of his knocks overseas are good , but usually he plays a good knock in a series, then the rest of his knocks are support knocks .

A brilliant test player but to move onto the next level ,needs to dominate more series and improve versus spin.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A proper number 5. He can score when a team is at 40/3 and he can dominate really good bowlers when he is on top. Had a good away season last time around, but he is now a much more established batsmen and will be targeted more. Has some problems though (which I hope he overcomes):

A very shaky starter - in contrast to the popular perception, Rahane does struggle against the moving ball. Now the bowlers know him better and target the 5th-stump-full-length outswingers. Gets out a lot playing the cover drives on those balls, even when he is batting 50+.

Circumspect against quality spin. His game is built around playing on pitches with true bounce and slower pitches does act as weakness.

Again, against the popular perception, he has struggled against short bowling and bowlers will exploit it more this time in away matches.

Needs to bat longer when he gets a 100+ score. And be more consistent when he is in good form.

Overall though, given the career he has had right now, you can expect him to top these eventually. The next year and a half will probably define where he stands. If he can overcome the newer and tougher challenges, India and Rahane will go a long long way.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Brilliant player versus lateral movement and bounce. But for me in Asia he needs to improve . Furthermore most of his knocks overseas are good , but usually he plays a good knock in a series, then the rest of his knocks are support knocks .

A brilliant test player but to move onto the next level ,needs to dominate more series and improve versus spin.
    I think piling up runs is more easy for someone coming higher than 5 in batting order.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with This but his overseas performance hasn't been ATG.There is not much difference between Rahane and kohli,M vijay overseas.Only difference is that Rahane hasn't failed in any overseas series whereas Kohli in England and vijay in NZ have failed.But overall their overseas performance has been equally good.
    Last edited by Savage; 12th November 2017 at 17:24.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temperamentally very weak. Cannot be trusted. But a brilliant talent though.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rahane performance hasn't been ATG.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    ATG outside Asia but strictly average in Asia.

I put him behind Kohli and Pujara in tests as of now.

He will get brownie points for performance outside Asia in comparison to those who have done it in Asia only but to be one of the greats of the game, he needs to be a lot better in Asia.

Outside Asia- 9/10
    In Asia- 4/10

Overall- 7/10
    Agree with This but his overseas performance hasn't been ATG.There is not much difference between Rahane and kohli,M vijay overseas.Only difference is that Rahane hasn't failed in any overseas series whereas Kohli in England and vijay in NZ have failed.But overall their overseas performance has been equally good.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I would argue his performance till now overseas has been of ATG callibre.

In his first tour, he has performed everywhere outside Asia. He also contributed to his team only win outside Asia in Lords which was a sublime knock. In the coming tours, he should hit a double century or more to make his claim even stronger.

Till now just look at his averages in those countries. It is definitely an ATG callibre.

Kohli and Vijay were also very good overseas. Rahane is simply ahead of the two outside Asia.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    Third best Asian Test batsman in Asia after Kohli and Pujara. Excellent batsman but not elite level; he will continue to be a supporting cast for the rest of his career.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would argue his performance till now overseas has been of ATG callibre.

In his first tour, he has performed everywhere outside Asia. He also contributed to his team only win outside Asia in Lords which was a sublime knock. In the coming tours, he should hit a double century or more to make his claim even stronger.

Till now just look at his averages in those countries. It is definitely an ATG callibre.

Kohli and Vijay were also very good overseas. Rahane is simply ahead of the two outside Asia.
    By overseas performance,i only meant performance in SA,Eng,Aus and Nz.I've not included Wi,SRI and Ban as i rate performance in home condition(against top sides) more than performance in those countries.

Comments like "Rahane is simply ahead of the two outside Asia." gives wrong impression that rahane has done significantly better than vijay and kohli overseas.
    lets check their overseas stats from Dec 2013-jan 2015:

Rahane:
    Match
    Inns
    Runs
    Ave
    HS
    100s
    50s
    MoM
    MoS

Kohli:
    match
    Inns
    Runs
    Ave
    HS
    100s
    50s
    MoM
    MoS

M Vijay:
    Match
    Inns
    Runs
    Ave
    HS
    100s
    50s
    MoM
    MoS

I would call Rahane world class so far in overseas but not Atg as he doesn't have a single Atg series so far.He wasn't best indian batsman in Eng series(which many indian fans believe)but was very good in nz series.His century in lord was brilliant but i still rate kohli adelaide century as best.

Kohli stats does not include his performance in Aus in 2011-12 where he outperformed all other indian batsman and which also include 75 in perth and 1 century.Kohli also has MOM century and 90 in SA which was against best bowling attack in the world(steyn,morkel,philander,Tahir and Kallis).Kohli also has 7 century whereas rahane has only 3.

Ok,i can't prove M vijay = Rahane with Stats but i rate his overseas performance on par with kohli and Rahane so far.He consistently faced new ball pairs(like anderson/broad,steyn/morkel,harris/johnson etc).Vijay faced tougher condition than kohli and Rahane.He was best indian batsman in England and was brilliant in Aus as well.

I won't argue if you say he looked most comfortable in those tours but that still doesn't prove how his performance was ATG and kohli,vijay wasn't.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Third best Asian Test batsman in Asia after Kohli and Pujara. Excellent batsman but not elite level; he will continue to be a supporting cast for the rest of his career.
    What about Vijay?He has done better than rahane in home condition and was equally good in overseas matches.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    By overseas performance,i only meant performance in SA,Eng,Aus and Nz.I've not included Wi,SRI and Ban as i rate performance in home condition(against top sides) more than performance in those countries.

Comments like "Rahane is simply ahead of the two outside Asia." gives wrong impression that rahane has done significantly better than vijay and kohli overseas.
    lets check their overseas stats from Dec 2013-jan 2015:

Rahane:
    Match
    Inns
    Runs
    Ave
    HS
    100s
    50s
    MoM
    MoS

Kohli:
    match
    Inns
    Runs
    Ave
    HS
    100s
    50s
    MoM
    MoS

M Vijay:
    Match
    Inns
    Runs
    Ave
    HS
    100s
    50s
    MoM
    MoS

I would call Rahane world class so far in overseas but not Atg as he doesn't have a single Atg series so far.He wasn't best indian batsman in Eng series(which many indian fans believe)but was very good in nz series.His century in lord was brilliant but i still rate kohli adelaide century as best.

Kohli stats does not include his performance in Aus in 2011-12 where he outperformed all other indian batsman and which also include 75 in perth and 1 century.Kohli also has MOM century and 90 in SA which was against best bowling attack in the world(steyn,morkel,philander,Tahir and Kallis).Kohli also has 7 century whereas rahane has only 3.

Ok,i can't prove M vijay = Rahane with Stats but i rate his overseas performance on par with kohli and Rahane so far.He consistently faced new ball pairs(like anderson/broad,steyn/morkel,harris/johnson etc).Vijay faced tougher condition than kohli and Rahane.He was best indian batsman in England and was brilliant in Aus as well.

I won't argue if you say he looked most comfortable in those tours but that still doesn't prove how his performance was ATG and kohli,vijay wasn't.
    Vijay hasn't been as prolific scorer or consistent as Kohli, Rahane and Pujara and he hasn't utilized the easy chances to maximize his run scoring ability.

However, he is second to Kohli as an all condition bat.

I will also take Rahane's performance in LoRDS over Kohli in Adelaide quite easily which was also a great knock but the one by Rahane was simply superior.Kohli was pretty useless in England.

Outside Asia, Rahane has clearly performed in more tougher conditions than Kohli and that is in Aus, SA, NZ and Eng all combined and Vijay doesn't really score big to come into contention.

In Asia, Kohli has been very good too while Rahane was strictly below average there. Vijay was good too but he isn't prolific and even consistent. Doesn't score big on flat tracks or pitches where you will see a 400-450 game. Hence, his average is even below 40.

Rating them as test bat:

Kohli- 8
    Pujara- 7.5
    Rahane- 7
    Vijay- 6.5

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    What about Vijay?He has done better than rahane in home condition and was equally good in overseas matches.
    He is very good, but Rahane is better.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The role that Vijay played during 4 or 5 successive overseas tours cannot be done by anybody. Not Rahane Not Kohli. New ball. Jagging around. Nipping of the surface. He was leaving the ball with supreme confidence something none of the openers at the time could do with such assurance. He would do everything to see off the toughest phase in a test match overseas and get out moment batting becomes slightly easier. That was his biggest issue. Should have averaged more for the kind of technique he showed.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    The role that Vijay played during 4 or 5 successive overseas tours cannot be done by anybody. Not Rahane Not Kohli. New ball. Jagging around. Nipping of the surface. He was leaving the ball with supreme confidence something none of the openers at the time could do with such assurance. He would do everything to see off the toughest phase in a test match overseas and get out moment batting becomes slightly easier. That was his biggest issue. Should have averaged more for the kind of technique he showed.
    It is about roles given. Vijay is given the role to take the shine out of the ball so that the better batsman can come and flourish. Better batsman means those who are not limited as Vijay. If everyone bats like Vijay , ie , no risk , keep out the good ball type ; results would be non existent. So better utilisation of such batsman would be to make a platform for better batsmen. Sanjay Bangar in 2002 England series was like that. He scored a very valuable 68 on a cloudy day as an opener.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WengerOut View Post
    It is about roles given. Vijay is given the role to take the shine out of the ball so that the better batsman can come and flourish. Better batsman means those who are not limited as Vijay. If everyone bats like Vijay , ie , no risk , keep out the good ball type ; results would be non existent. So better utilisation of such batsman would be to make a platform for better batsmen. Sanjay Bangar in 2002 England series was like that. He scored a very valuable 68 on a cloudy day as an opener.
    That's why many experts like Gavaskar rated that knock as good as Sachin and ganguly century on same innings.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is very good, but Rahane is better.
    Where do you rank azhar Ali?

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why many experts like Gavaskar rated that knock as good as Sachin and ganguly century on same innings.
    The point is better utilisation of Bangar during that phase was as an opener. He can leave , nudge etc. Other stroke makers, if they limit themselves can do that. But Bangar can't be a stroke maker.

And i personally don't rate Gavaskar as someone who has a valid grasp of things.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan12 View Post
    Where do you rank azhar Ali?
    At the same level as Vijay, 4th/5th best Test batsman in Asia.

Kohli
    Pujara
    Rahane
    Vijay/Azhar

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vijay hasn't been as prolific scorer or consistent as Kohli, Rahane and Pujara and he hasn't utilized the easy chances to maximize his run scoring ability.

However, he is second to Kohli as an all condition bat.

I will also take Rahane's performance in LoRDS over Kohli in Adelaide quite easily which was also a great knock but the one by Rahane was simply superior.Kohli was pretty useless in England.

Outside Asia, Rahane has clearly performed in more tougher conditions than Kohli and that is in Aus, SA, NZ and Eng all combined and Vijay doesn't really score big to come into contention.

In Asia, Kohli has been very good too while Rahane was strictly below average there. Vijay was good too but he isn't prolific and even consistent. Doesn't score big on flat tracks or pitches where you will see a 400-450 game. Hence, his average is even below 40.

Rating them as test bat:

Kohli- 8
    Pujara- 7.5
    Rahane- 7
    Vijay- 6.5
    Agree with most of your points.Vijay certainly been inconsistent that's why he is only averaging 39.5.
    I don't mind if you think Rahane has done better than Vijay overseas.My only issue(if you see at my first post) was when you said he has been ATG overseas and he has done "Much" better than Kohli and Vijay overseas

"I will also take Rahane's performance in LoRDS over Kohli in Adelaide quite easily" I think you are Severely underrating kohli innings and overrating Rahane's innings at the same time.Both innings was special.kohli(spin dominant player) couldn't have played the knock which Rahane played at that time and Similarly Rahane(Swing dominant batsmen) couldn't have played kohli's knock in adelaide.But for any neutral batsmen(who is equally good against swing and spin) would rate Kohli's Knock higher.

It seems as if you've watched only highlights of those innings.Luckily i watched both of those innings Live to say kohli inning's was better.One of the main reason is that Australian's bowled "LOT" better than English bowlers.Gary ballance scored century and M vijay also scored 95 on same match.During Rahane's innings,there was a bit of early swing but not huge swing(as it was during first 20 overs).Many english commentators like Nasser were also saying that pitch had become much easier for batting when ball became old and it isn't threatening as it seems.England bowlers bowled poorly that day(apart from Anderson as he was OK).Likes of broad and Plunkett were more interested in bowling Short rather than making full use of condition.That's why they couldn't finish india's tail that day(Bkumar scored 36,shami scored 19 and I sharma 12).I'm not taking any credit from Rahane's knock as he was brilliant that day and looked in control with bat throughout the innings.It was one of the Greatest knock by indian batsman on england soil.

Kohli's knock was against much better bowling line up(Lyon,Harris,johnson,siddle and they bowled much better that day as compared to english bowlers).If you look at the highlight of that inning then it would show how kohli was dominating that pitch but what it wouldn't show was how much difficulty batsman were facing due to uneven spin and bounce.Regardless,Kohli made that pitch look like absolute Road.To understand the true greatness of kohli's knock,you need to understand how much pressure he was in during that day and pitch wasn't helping him either.To support my point here's what chappell had to say about kohli's knock - >" http://bit.ly/2yvT83y ".
    "I haven’t seen better batting in the 4th innings than Virat Kohli’s enterprising century at Adelaide Oval" quoting ian chappell.Kohli's has played many Great Innings in his odi and T20 career(like his 82* in wct20 which smith rated as best innings he has seen live across all formats) but he still rate's his adelaide knock as his Best.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And i personally don't rate Gavaskar as someone who has a valid grasp of things.
    Tbh neither do i.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Except Vijay is better than Bangar. He is a stroke player too. Second of all. Leaving the ball with assurance match after match is not an easy job. Check with Kohli. He made a mess when he tried to leave the ball. Ball took his stumps. Infact none of the Indians were assured of their off stump except M Vijay. It was like watching Dravid.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except Vijay is better than Bangar. He is a stroke player too. Second of all. Leaving the ball with assurance match after match is not an easy job. Check with Kohli. He made a mess when he tried to leave the ball. Ball took his stumps. Infact none of the Indians were assured of their off stump except M Vijay. It was like watching Dravid.
    good post
    Vijay is a special player.Not only he has underachieved but his stats are also underrated.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbh neither do i.
    Today i read somewhere that Gavaskar asking for the inclusion of Raina or Yuvraj in the team coz India need an attacking Southpaw in the middle order. At first Steam came out of my ears but later i tried to find positive in it as he did not recommend Rohan Gavaskar.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is India's Rahul Dravid.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today i read somewhere that Gavaskar asking for the inclusion of Raina or Yuvraj in the team coz India need an attacking Southpaw in the middle order. At first Steam came out of my ears but later i tried to find positive in it as he did not recommend Rohan Gavaskar.
    @WengerOut
    He was also criticizing severely about decision to drop Rahane from T20 squad recently.He probably Regards Rahane innings of 42 from 35 balls [at wct20 2016 semifinal in WANKHEDE]as one of the GREATEST innings of all Time.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Ajinkya Rahane has filed an application to seek permission from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for his county cricket debut. The application from India's Test vice-captain has been filed in anticipation to play county cricket for Hampshire from May to mid-July. According to IANS, an application seeking permission has been sent by the batsman to the board and the same has been forwarded to the Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administration (CoA).

As per the letter, Rahane wants to be given permission to turn out for the county team in four-day games. The letter has been forwarded by the CEO Rahul Johri to the CoA.

Speaking to IANS, a senior BCCI official said that there was no reason why the batsman wouldn't be granted permission as the likes of skipper Virat Kohli had also been given the go-ahead last year to turn up for Surrey last year.

"There is no reason why Rahane wouldn't be granted permission as the likes of Kohli and Cheteshwar Pujara were also given the go-ahead.

"Also, Rahane isn't a part of the World Cup team, so he won't have any international commitment at that time. He wants to play four-day games and that should actually help him when he returns to play Test cricket for India after the showpiece event gets over in England and Wales," the official said.

Pujara spent some quality time playing county cricket for Yorkshire last season when the Indian Premier League was in full flow.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/ajin...ricket-2025705

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Rahane has regressed alot from 2017 onwards

Rahane Mat Runs HS Ave SR 100 50
    overall 56 3488 188 40.55 50.64 9 17
    home 22 1140 188 34.54 48.04 3 4
    away 34 2348 147 44.3 52.01 6 13
    year 2013 3 217 96 43.4 46.56 0 2
    year 2014 10 809 147 44.94 60.01 3 4
    year 2015 9 593 127 45.61 53.76 3 1
    year 2016 10 653 188 54.41 47.69 2 2
    year 2017 11 554 132 34.62 51.1 1 3
    year 2018 12 644 81 30.66 44.04 0 5
    year 2019 1 18 18 18 32.72 0 0

Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    His an impact batsman. A batsmen capable of a hard grind as well as a counterattacking innings. His innings usually benefits his team immensely. His everything, shafiq should have been.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rahane dismissed for 102 (242) today vs Windies, his first test match century in 2 years!

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fastest from 50 average to 40 average if i am right lol

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    766 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Above Asad shafiq. Below Azhar Ali for now.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Technically he is India’s best batsman against the pacers because he can withstand pace, bounce, swing and seam overall more competently than his peers.

Kohli is far ahead not just because he’s better a player of spin but more importantly it’s to do with his appetite for big runs. This is why he averages in his mid-50s, whereas Rahane averages 20% less (in his low to mid 40s).

Rahane at times can go into his shell and be a bit timid, which is perhaps why he’s not good enough to make the cut for India’s ODI side.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Ajinkya Rahane is keen to "live in the present" as he looks ahead to India's second Test against West Indies, but can't quickly forget the feeling of a "special", match-winning century in the previous game.

Rahane missed out on a hundred in the first innings in Antigua, but brought up 102 in the second hit, setting up India's emphatic 318-run win. It was his first three-figure score in two years, having last reached the mark against Sri Lanka in August 2017.

"I got to know what it feels like to get a century after two years," he said on Thursday, 29 August. "I was a little bit emotional.

"It took me two years to get that 10th hundred. The process always matters to me a lot. Preparations before each and every series is very important. I was doing that throughout the two years, and yes, 10th hundred was really special."

Ignored for India's limited-overs teams, Rahane spent his time in the UK, playing county cricket for Hampshire. He acknowledged the importance of the experience in improving his confidence. "It's very early to say if county season benefitted me," he explained, "but what I can say is that I used my time well in those two months. I learnt about batting, about how to play the Dukes ball."

India go into the second Test in Jamaica, starting on Friday, 30 August, as favourites to consolidate their position at the top of the ICC Test Championship table. While West Indies have not lost a series at home since April 2017, India have not lost a Test to them since 2002.

Rahane urged his team-mates to not get carried away by the past, "respect" the opposition and "play to our strengths", but gave little else away about the team's plan for Sabina Park. "We are confident about what we did in the last game, but we have to live in the present," he said. "We are in a good space as a team, as a bowling unit and batting unit."

One big decision captain Virat Kohli and coach Ravi Shastri have to make is whether to bring in Rohit Sharma in the middle order. Hanuma Vihari occupied the No.6 spot in the first Test and gave a good account of himself, pitching in with 93 in a 135-run stand with Rahane in the second innings.

"Vihari did very well in the India A tours and he did really well in the domestic circuit," Rahane said. "It's good that players who did well consistently over a period of time in domestic cricket are doing well at the international level. At the same time, yes, Rohit is also a quality player, a special player. It's hard to see him miss out on a Test match."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1328945

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is a rich manís asad shafique.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never enjoyed watching him and pujara bat... not to say they are good batsmen but there something missing in terms of the "wow" factor.. should have been given free rope to play .... never shld have been dropped ....

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quality bat full stop

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good batsmen who should be permanent fixture at 5 .

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good batsman in isolation, in terms of technique and strokeplay but not someone you want to see in tense situation because his game awareness is very very ordinary.

Still remember the T20 WC semis against WI when his job was to ensure wickets don't fall initially but even in 16th/17th over when India was 2 down, he kept playing singles as it was the first over. I know we are discussing tests here but such skills or lack of it carry over to every form of the game.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good batsmen, but not great.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good batsmen, but not great.
    You're being generous. He had one good season and that's about it. He's been average after that.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    ter a stellar start to his Test career, India batsman Ajinkya Rahane had been going through quite a lean spell prior to India’s Test series against West Indies in August.

After 39 Tests, his average was a heady 48.13, and he had nine Test centuries to his name. Two years and 17 games later – a stretch in which he averaged just 24.85 – that hundreds tally still stood in single figures, with his overall runs per dismissal hovering a tick above 40.

In the first dig against West Indies came more heartbreak, with Rahane bowled by Shannon Gabriel 19 shy of three figures, though the knock itself was an important one, rescuing India from 25/3. And he wouldn’t have to wait long for that special moment, tonning up in his very next knock, and dispelling any doubts over his place for India’s upcoming marquee series against South Africa.

On the eve of that three-match rubber, which starts on Wednesday 2 October at Visakhapatnam, Rahane spoke of his relief at having got the monkey off his back. “The question of when I'm going to get that hundred is now over,” he said. “I'm feeling relieved.”

It wasn’t the first time Rahane has had to bide his time for his dreams to come to fruition, and he said that only by focussing on enjoying himself and not thinking about milestones was he able to free himself up enough to notch three figures.

“I believe that each and every match and series teaches you so much,” he said. "When I was first selected for the Indian team, I had to wait for almost two years and 17 Test matches before making my debut. And here again, had to wait for 17 Test matches to score a hundred.

“During these 17 Test matches [when] I was batting well but not getting hundreds, I was thinking about the century and it was going away from me. So when I went in to bat in the West Indies, I told myself that I'm not going to think about the three-figure mark, and I'm going to enjoy batting. Batting according to the team's demand was my priority. I batted when the team needed it, and that elusive hundred also came through.”

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1364878

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Rahane needs to cash in big time now to ensure his place in the team for next 5 years.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I hear his name,the first thing that came to my mind is his counter attacking innings on bowler friendly pitches.As an Indian I didn't care one of the batsmen in the lineup has low average in Asian conditions as he cover it up with performances in SENA.His batting much needed in SENA tours, as long as he is performing I rate him very high. Still remember that quality 100 he gets in lords on a green top on 1st day of the test match.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could call this a new chapter. but i will reserve my judgement. So far come against Windies team and this series. Good to see him doing well at home as well. But i have to see how long it lasts. With Gill breathing down his neck he probably realized his international career could be over.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    100 for Rahane looking very impressive indeed against some pretty lively bowling from SA

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Ajinkya Rahane geared up for the much-anticipated four-Test series against Australia with a resolute century, steering India A to 237 for 8 against Australia A on the opening day of the first warm-up mach here on Sunday.

Rahane (108 off 228 balls), leading the side, and Cheteshwar Pujara (54 off 140 balls), who will be to India’s batting mainstay especially once Virat Kohli goes for paternity leave after the first Test, shared a 76-run stand for the fourth wicket after India A were reduced to 40 for 3 early on.

The Mumbaikar then added 69 with Kuldeep Yadav (15) to keep India A afloat.

Rahane, who won the toss and decided to bat, watched the ball closely and punished anything over-pitched or short to pick up 16 boundaries and a six during his long stay at the crease.

Returning to action after almost nine months, Pujara struck form right away and his innings was laced with five fours.

Pujara played the leg-glance to pick up three boundaries in the fine leg area, two off them in successive deliveries of James Pattinson in the ninth over.

At stumps, Rahane and Mohammed Siraj (0) were at the crease.

Earlier, Shubman Gill and Prithvi Shaw, who are fighting for one of the opening slots in the Test team, did their chances no good after registering ducks.

While Gill edged the first ball he faced to Marcus Harris at third slip, Shaw nicked one to wicketkeeper Tim Paine as India slipped to 6 for 2 in the third over.

Playing his first competitive game since the coronavirus-induced break, Hanuma Vihari (15) looked good for a while before Jackson Bird found him plumb in front in the 19th over.

Pujara and Rahane then joined hands to steady the innings. The former reached his fifty with a shot at deep mid-wicket in the 45th over which yielded three runs.

Pujara was dismissed in the 47th over, caught at leg gully by Harris off Pattinson.

Back in action after recovering from a hamstring injuries, Wriddhiman Saha, a contender for the wicket-keeping spot, had a dismal outing as he was out for naught after being trapped by Travis Head in the 50th over.

Ravichandran Ashwin (5) then became the third victim of Pattinson as India went into the tea break at 128 for six in 53 overs with Kuldeep joining Rahane in the middle.

Rahane struggled a bit after the break before reaching his fifty with an upper cut six off Pattinson in the 61st over.

Rahane kept the scoreboard ticking but Head removed Kuldeep, who misjudged a sweep shot as the side slumped to 197 for 7.

For Australia, Pattinson, who played a crucial role in Mumbai Indians’ title winning IPL campaign, continued his good run with three wickets.

Pacer Michael Neser (2/51) and Bird (1/34) too bowled well, while skipper Travis Head too picked up two wickets with his off-spin.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...UExBGsW8N.html

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very average player.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Ajinkya Rahane underrated in Test cricket?

Stats in last 2 years (31 Dec 2018 - 31 Dec 2020)

Inns - 19
    Runs - 914
    Avg - 57.12
    100s - 3
    50s - 5
    Home average - 70.60
    Away average - 51.00

For comparison, Kohli averages 48.33 in 17 inns (728 runs) and Pujara averages 35.26 in 19 inns (670 runs) in last 2 years

I see people say he's out of form, but he's no.6 in latest ICC test rankings.

So all this criticism makes me think, is he underrated? Because all I see are complaints about him.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He's not underrated, after a good run people have once again started talking about him which is fair. The dude averages 42 with the bat and never quite owned his place in the team.

He has no big hundreds to his name.

His white ball career is pretty much dead.

He doesn't bowl part time and is just ok in the field.

If he had any of that in his way, people would be talking about him more.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He was poor between 2016-2018 and decent between 2018-2020. However, his overall performance as a captain and batsman in Melbourne 2020 is one of the greatest performance by an Asian batsman away from home

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not underrated and not overrated - he just is what he is IMO. A fairly decent and reliable test middle order batsman but nothing to shout home about.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post

He has no big hundreds to his name.

His white ball career is pretty much dead.

He doesn't bowl part time and is just ok in the field.

If he had any of that in his way, people would be talking about him more.
    He's a brilliant fielder what are you talking about. Never saw him drop a catch or misfield and he has been playing for nearly a decade.

Only Jadeja is a better fielder than him in the current team.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rahane is a mid cart batsman and his career avg of 43 suggests the same. I know he scored a brilliant century here but he is way too inconsistent in beween to be rated highly. Remember he scored a terrific century at 2014 in Lords as well but there is hardly much after that knock. If Rahane played during our fab four era (2002-2010), he would never make into the team.

So the answer to OP is...no he is not under rated at all.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think he is a very good test match player. The problem is with technique and some of the innings he has played, people expected more consistency from him which hasn't come. Still a quality test match player and nice human being to boot.

Just have to accept that he will go through rough patches and score some quality knocks like the last test.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Indian batsmen have undeniable class. Whenever an Indian batters scores, he's bound to start discussions immediately because of usually how good looking the knock is.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    India vice-captain Ajinkya Rahane said criticism over his record in England doesn't bother him even as he and Team India prepare for the final of the World Test Championship (WTC) against New Zealand starting Friday in Southampton. Rahane, who led India in the last three Tests of their historic series win in Australia in 2020-21 said he is happy to contribute to the team's score even if it is through a "30 or 40", adding that "winning is more important (than) whether I score a 100 or not".

Speaking at a pre-match press conference, Rahane, who averages 29.26 from 10 Tests in England, said: "I'm happy to take criticism. I feel it's because of the criticism I'm here. I always want to give my best whether people criticise me or not."

"For me, it's important to give my best for my country and contribute each and every time be it as a batsman or a fielder," he added.

"I don't really think about criticism. If people criticise me, that's their thing, and that's their job. I cannot control all these things. For me, I always focus on controllables, putting my best foot forward, working hard and following my process and the result follows," Rahane said.

"I will be playing my natural game. Winning is really important whether I score hundred or not. I don't want to put too much pressure on myself and even if my 30 or 40 is valuable for the team, I am happy," he added.

The record in England aside, Rahane is India's highest scorer in the inaugural WTC with 1095 runs over the two-year period with three hundreds and six fifties.

However, those runs are "past" for Rahane, who stressed on taking the WTC final as just another Test match and be switched on mentally.

"I like to be in the present. I know the conditions. It's about being in the moment, adjusting to the conditions. Also, me being the highest scorer doesn't matter now. It's past. I just don't want to put extra pressure and would want to play freely," Rahane said.

"It's just a mental thing. If we can switch mentally and adapt, it's important. Yes, one off, we have to take it as another game not as a final or anything. We just want to give our best, play good cricket, be consistent in the five days," he added.

NDTV

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    842 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Firebat; 23rd June 2021 at 20:32.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India vs England: Rahane a posted a photograph on Facebook with him smiling and captioned it: "My reaction when the trolls get trolled!"

India Test vice-captain Ajinkya Rahane hit back at social media trolls in his own way through a Facebook post after Indiaís victory against England at Lordís. Rahane a posted a photograph on Facebook with him smiling and captioned it: "My reaction when the trolls get trolled!"

Rahane has coped a lot of criticism of late because of lack of runs from his bat this year. The experienced right-hander, however, played an important knock of 61 in Indiaís second innings when the side was in a spot of bother after losing the openers KL Rahul, Rohit Sharma and captain Virat Kohli cheaply.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...274549352.html
    Last edited by Last Monetarist; 19th August 2021 at 15:43.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Rahane performance is slipping and in England his record is pretty bad. He needs to step up.

Rahane Span Mat Runs Bat Av 100
    Overall 2013-2021 76 4714 40.63 12
    Away 2013-2021 44 3045 43.5 8
    in Australia 2014-2021 12 884 42.09 2
    in Bangladesh 2015-2015 1 98 98 0
    in England 2014-2021 12 623 28.31 1
    in New Zealand 2014-2020 4 253 36.14 1
    in South Africa 2013-2018 3 266 53.2 0
    in Sri Lanka 2015-2017 6 407 45.22 2
    in West Indies 2016-2019 6 514 102.8 2
    Away record by years
    year 2013 2 209 69.66 0
    year 2014 10 809 44.94 3
    year 2015 5 327 40.87 1
    year 2016 4 243 121.5 1
    year 2017 3 229 76.33 1
    year 2018 9 513 28.5 0
    year 2019 3 289 72.25 1
    year 2020 4 272 38.85 1
    year 2021 4 154 22 0

Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is not very consistent. But, he has played some important knocks.

Bangladeshi Man

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is a supporting character/player in the team like many players in different teams throughout the history of cricket.

If the team is winning he can go with the flow adding onto the wind in that direction, if the team is losing there is nothing much he can do to change the tide and the result of the match on his own (Yes exceptions do exist like for any other such player).

So like any support player, not a game changer by any means but can provide support in the win and some resistance during a loss.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    He is a supporting character/player in the team like many players in different teams throughout the history of cricket.

If the team is winning he can go with the flow adding onto the wind in that direction, if the team is losing there is nothing much he can do to change the tide and the result of the match on his own (Yes exceptions do exist like for any other such player).

So like any support player, not a game changer by any means but can provide support in the win and some resistance during a loss.

I think 'useless' is the word you're looking for.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The worst Indian batsman to play 75 tests, not counting all-rounders and bowlers.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rich man's Asad Shafiq

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The worst Indian batsman to play 75 tests, not counting all-rounders and bowlers.
    Good observation
    List of Indian batsman who played in top 7 position for 75+ matches.
    Player Span Mat Runs Ave 100 50
    SR Tendulkar 1989-2013 200 15921 53.78 51 68
    R Dravid 1996-2012 163 13265 52.63 36 63
    V Kohli 2011-2021 94 7609 51.41 27 25
    SM Gavaskar 1971-1987 124 10118 51.1 34 45
    V Sehwag 2001-2013 103 8503 49.43 23 31
    VVS Laxman 1996-2012 134 8779 46.2 17 56
    CA Pujara 2010-2021 87 6337 45.58 18 29
    M Azharuddin 1984-2000 99 6215 45.03 22 21
    SC Ganguly 1996-2008 113 7212 42.17 16 35
    DB Vengsarkar 1976-1992 116 6868 42.13 17 35
    GR Viswanath 1969-1983 91 6080 41.93 14 35
    AM Rahane 2013-2021 76 4714 40.63 12 24
    MS Dhoni 2005-2014 88 4248 35.69 4 29
    N Kapil Dev 1978-1994 95 3281 30.1 6 14

He is last among specialist batsman.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Not a great record for Rahane

Innings - 20
    Runs - 407
    Average - 20.3
    Fifties - 2

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After years of non-performance he had that memorable MCG test last year.

Since then his scores read:
    22, 4
    37, 24
    1, 0
    67, 10
    7, DNB
    49, 15
    5, DNB
    1, 61
    18, 10
    14, 0
    35, 4

Just 2 50s in 12 tests. More than half his innings have been single digit scores.

Will the 10th ranked test side tolerate such mediocrity?

Debut
    Oct 2021
    Venue
    Nagpur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonder why team management is not dropping him. We have 3 mediocre batsman in our middle order from past 2-3 years.
    Give him time to improve his game in domestic cricket and don't select him till he score heavily in Ranji and A tours.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The only reason he is getting backed so much is because of that legendary performance in Melbourne after the 36/9 fiasco.

A century couldn't have come at any time better than that. It was a series for ages. No wonder why Pant's knock in Gabba is also rated so highly. @Bhaag Viru Bhaag

But the problem with Rahane is that he was going through a bad patch long before that too, almost on a verge of getting dropped after the joke of a knock he played in Christchurch. Luckily, he got the captaincy because of lack of options at that time and which is why he has become literally undroppable.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Paris
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 years on he has become elite or still in the excellent league?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Out of the second test against New Zealand with a slight 'niggle', could probably signal the end of his international career.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Out of the second test against New Zealand with a slight 'niggle', could probably signal the end of his international career.
    I am sure he will be first choice for South Africa tour, ahead of Iyer and Vihari. So, the reason being given here is a 'niggle'.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An ATG when it comes to close in catching or whilst in the slips.
    He has taken some tremendous catches, some extremely difficult catches but made them look easy.
    This is the most under rated part of his game, and the most under appreciated.
    Am no fan boy, but if he goes away, we will miss his catching excellence factor big time.
    His batting i feel is one of un fulfilled potential. typically one big knock after several troughs. Has played several excellent match winning knocks, but also failed heaps of times.
    With youngsters knocking for test cricket, I feel the time has come to move on from him however I guess SAF (if it happens, with virus and all) would be his last chance.
    Else, he is also hampering the development of a young hungry batsmen just like Bhuvi is blocking some young paceman for the last 4 years or so with his non performance.
    However, if he goes -he has my respect for a fab team man.
    He played in the same vein that several of India's gen from the Amarnath's, Pataudis, Umrigar, Sunny, Vishy, Vengy, Rahul, Sachin, VVS, Anil, Kapil, Srinath et al and several more -, a guy who played with dignity in defeat and restraint in victory.
    Not for him the pathetic posturing or the dramatic one upmanship that sadly has come to define our way of playing in recent times.
    A Champion. Give the respect he deserves. He brought honour to our team with the way he played.
    Last edited by CrIc_Mystique; Today at 12:09.