User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

Italy fails to qualify for the World Cup for the first time in 60 years!

https://m.sport24.co.za//Soccer/Inte...d-cup-20171114

Rome - Italy's failure to qualify for the World Cup for the first time in 60 years was greeted by a mixture of disbelief, dismay and resigned disappointment by fans across the country.

In Rome's trendy San Lorenzo district, the Le Mura bar, which showed Monday night's playoff crunch with Sweden on a big screen, emptied at the final whistle after a goalless stalemate which condemned the Azzurri to a 1-0 aggregate defeat.

"It is really very sad because watching the World Cup was something that really brought us together as Italians," said recent graduate Stefania Pusateri, heading for the exit.

"But what is sure is that the shock will be even worse for my father. He is 54 years old and he has never had to go through something like this."

Sitting alongside Pusateri, friend Davide Penna concurred. "I still can't believe it has happened," he said. "We have never experienced anything like this. It's over."

Similar sentiments were voiced by fans coming out of the San Siro stadium in Milan after Monday's 0-0 draw.

"I am disappointed with the whole football system in Italy," said Mirko Palmieri. "It is the umpteenth failure of our country. Even here (at the San Siro), we can't get the job done."

Italy not being at the World Cup will be a new experience for most of the country's fans, and few of them are looking forward to the experience of watching from the sidelines.

The four-time champions opted not to play at the first World Cup in 1930 but they have been present at every other edition apart from 1958, when they also failed to qualify.

"I was born with Italy being a part of the World Cup, and it has always been like that," one supporter told AFP on his way out of the Milan stadium.

"Tomorrow I will wake up and my life will go on but this summer I will do something else."

Another added: "The disappointment is a double one - first because we are not good, but second because we were beaten by a team that is even worse than us."

'Completely unthinkable'

Back in the Rome bar, the view that Italy deserved to be on the plane to Russia was disputed by journalism student Christian Dalenz.

"The reality is they were not good enough, they haven't earned the right to be at the World Cup. This is a very weak squad. It just does not have enough world-class players who can make the difference."

The extent of the shock that non-qualification represents for Italian football was underlined by the pre-match confidence of most fans that Gigi Buffon and co. would pull through.

"It is not as if Sweden are that strong a team," Fabio Votano, a Roman who was only a toddler when Italy last missed out on a World Cup finals, had told AFPTV hours before kick-off.

"Not winning is completely unthinkable, basically something that has never happened before. For Italy, getting to the World Cup finals is almost a duty."

Italy ended up in the playoffs as a result of finishing second in their qualifying group behind Spain.

They then put in a sluggish performance in the first leg in Sweden, when the home side edged a scrappy, physical affair thanks to substitute Jakob Johansson's deflected shot just after the hour mark.

Rome resident Enrico Doddi insisted Italy's players were good enough to have overcome Sweden.

"They're playing miserably at the moment but Italy still has a good set of players in my opinion," he said. "It is all down to mentality.

"You cannot have a good World Cup without Italy."

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Buffon was crying on live TV

A sad news.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This is what i love about the World Cup Football.

You give an open chance to every country out there.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    It won't be the same without the Italians there, even if they are a weak team at the moment. Italy are one of the blue chip World Cup teams. Even when they are weak they usually rise to the occasion. They will be a miss, but from what I heard, they have some very promising youngsters so should be back better than ever for the next one.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    What kind of team can you equate Italy to in cricket?

Sri Lanka?

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    What kind of team can you equate Italy to in cricket?

Sri Lanka?
    No.
    Italians are a classic of world cups. Massively hated by the English, French and Spanish.

They'll be like Pakistan (at least).

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very very disappointing. They should have qualified.

Current Italian team is strong defensively but lacks quality offensively. Need to rebuild, yesterday's team had a lot of over 30 players.

Will be interesting to see who they hire as next manager.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan-Deutschland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Ventura is responsible for this disaster. All the big snakes in Italian football federation who appointed him should be shown the door

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really sad to see Buffon crying.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go through their squad you will realise that there is not enough quality in there so I personally was not too surprised at this happening. They have fallen behind the likes of France and Belgium in terms of producing world class talent in recent years.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    First time in 60 odd years WOW this is massive.

Goes to show if you do not remove TTFs and keep playing oldies (hint hint) your team can only go down. Some sports are a young man's sport and you cannot have oldies hogging youngsters spot just on the basis of "experience". Italy needs to bring in a young aggressive team under capable leadership and watch how they rocket through the rankings while the detractors are left nitpicking.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1056 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    No netherlands and no italians.WC will miss them.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    It won't be the same without the Italians there, even if they are a weak team at the moment. Italy are one of the blue chip World Cup teams. Even when they are weak they usually rise to the occasion. They will be a miss, but from what I heard, they have some very promising youngsters so should be back better than ever for the next one.
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    No netherlands and no italians.WC will miss them.
    you people should be congratulating me rather than crying about a team that didn't manage to beat us over two rounds

p.s. i know nothing about football but there was a massive party and that was fun.

sawaal ye ni k ap ko kyun nikaala, sawaal ye k ap aaye kaisay.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two big guns aren't there! Netherlands and Italy

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Serves them right, I'm still bitter about what they did to Zidane and France in 2006.

I mean they won fairly, but whatever...

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Azzurri View Post
    Ventura is responsible for this disaster. All the big snakes in Italian football federation who appointed him should be shown the door
    There will be scapegoats but its been the same story since 2006, they just dont have the talent anymore.

If you want to destroy a country, just create enmity between its people and their army - Salahuddin

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    834 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Its really disappointing.

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Italy are one of the unofficial big 4 - Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany, of World Cups

I would say not a single person in this forum has seen a world cup in which all 4 of them were not there.

And funnily enough, now that they are out, the only 2 teams who have played in every world cup since 1986 apart from Brazil/Argentina/Germany are Spain and ..................... South Korea

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHorn View Post
    Italy are one of the unofficial big 4 - Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany, of World Cups

I would say not a single person in this forum has seen a world cup in which all 4 of them were not there.

And funnily enough, now that they are out, the only 2 teams who have played in every world cup since 1986 apart from Brazil/Argentina/Germany are Spain and ..................... South Korea
    Well, you made SK’s participation look like a big surprise, why so? They are Asian giansts in football, had they been in Europe or LA, then it would have been a surprise but they quality from a continent where there are mostly poor teams.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IAJ View Post
    Well, you made SK’s participation look like a big surprise, why so? They are Asian giansts in football, had they been in Europe or LA, then it would have been a surprise but they quality from a continent where there are mostly poor teams.
    It is a surprise, because, in the 5 decades from 1960's to the present decade, they have never won the Asian Cup....

They have always been among the good sides in Asia, but Saudi Arabia (80s and mid 90s), Japan (noughties), Australia (after 2010), and even Iran (70's and late 90's) have been the best side in the Continent, at various stages, either in terms of winning the Asian Cup, or just plain performances

Yet, each of those 4 sides have failed to qualify for the world cup multiple times, even during periods when they were very strong.

Yet somehow South Korea qualified every single time from 1986 onwards, and quite comfortably, never having to go even via playoffs

Some teams over perform in qualifiers.

Spain is one example; long before their exploits in the last decade, they used to underperform in tournaments in the 80s and 90s. Yet they used to always come first in their qualifying groups and almost never qualified via playoffs

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoUgandaCranes View Post
    you people should be congratulating me rather than crying about a team that didn't manage to beat us over two rounds

p.s. i know nothing about football but there was a massive party and that was fun.
    I had to check your location because I can never tell the difference between some of these flags. I wasn't sure whether yours was Sweden or Denmark. Anyway congratulations, but as you don't know much about football let me help you out. Sweden play really boring, unsuccessful football which no one wants to watch. Including the Swedes if what you say is anything to go by.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3888 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Gutted for Buffon. Only winning the Champions League this season is going to compensate for the disappointment.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    For me to know and you to find out
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank God we wont see boring 1-0 or 0-0 draws in the knock outs.

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had to check your location because I can never tell the difference between some of these flags. I wasn't sure whether yours was Sweden or Denmark. Anyway congratulations, but as you don't know much about football let me help you out. Sweden play really boring, unsuccessful football which no one wants to watch. Including the Swedes if what you say is anything to go by.
    let's put it this way, who would you like to manage your country or club - jose mourinho or arsene wenger?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Italy have sacked coach Giampiero Ventura after the four-time champions failed to reach the World Cup for the first time since 1958.

The Azzurri lost a play-off with Sweden 1-0 on aggregate to spell the end of 69-year-old Ventura's 17-month tenure.

Ventura said his record was "one of the best of the last 40 years".

"I lost only two games in two years," he told Italian television show Le Iene before the Italian Football Federation fired him on Wednesday.

Ventura replaced Antonio Conte in June 2016, and was described as a "master of football" by Italian football federation president Carlo Tavecchio.

However, Italy took one point out of a possible six against Spain in qualifying and also drew at home to Macedonia.

"I can only apologise to the Italians, not for the will or effort but for the result, which as I know is the main thing," said former Napoli and Sampdoria boss Ventura after Italy's World Cup hopes were ended.

When he was appointed he was given a two-year deal which would have taken him to the end of the 2018 World Cup finals in Russia.

At the time, Tavecchio called Ventura an "innovative" coach with "limitless experience" who had helped many players reach the national side.

Once Ventura's pay-out is sorted the search for a new manager will begin. Carlo Ancelotti is available and it seems like the right time in his career for this job.

The three remaining members of Italy's 2006 World Cup success, Gianluigi Buffon, De Rossi and Andrea Barzagli, all announced their international retirement on Monday.

Giorgio Chiellini wants more time to decide. He believes Italian football needs to take a step back in order to move forward and there is a sense this represents an opportunity to push the reset button.

Of course the same was said after Italy's group stage exit from the last World Cup when Cesare Prandelli resigned and Tavecchio's predecessor Giancarlo Abete followed. Little changed.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41989609

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well they have that one guy, Zlatan who is better than anything the Brits have to offer. Not sure if he is still around or not.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoUgandaCranes View Post
    let's put it this way, who would you like to manage your country or club - jose mourinho or arsene wenger?
    Where's the relevance? Both Italy and Sweden play defensive football, but Sweden play uglier football and they have won less.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Where's the relevance? Both Italy and Sweden play defensive football, but Sweden play uglier football and they have won less.
    The relevance lies in the fact that winning is more important than anything else.