User Tag List

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"God save our gracious Queen": Atheists, how do you feel about singing this in public?

This is not about any mumbo jumbo vis-a-vis "How many tourist £'s the Royal Family brings in",
    or "....it's only words...",
    or "....don't mean anything, don't take them literally...",
    or ".... it's better than having a President ...."

Bearing in mind that the Queen is The Queen because, supposedly, "she is appointed by God", the question then arises how do Atheists, and non-Church of England Christians, or those of other faiths, feel about belting out in full voice a National Anthem consisting of words/phrases that literally appear to worship the Queen?

"God save our gracious Queen,
    Long live our noble Queen,
    God save the Queen:
    Send her victorious,
    Happy and glorious,
    Long to reign over us:
    God save the Queen. "

How do you think it looks from the perspective of foreigners that Britain ridicules as being "backward", "undemocratic", and "living in the Middle Ages"?

And lastly, what other National Anthems can you think of that praise, almost worship, the ruler in a similar manner?

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    598 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I’ll sing it to show solidarity with my countrymen.

I think it’s a weak song though. We English should sing ‘Jerusalem’ instead which is more spiritually enriching, with a much better melody.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I doubt many English people give too much thought to the lyrics when they are singing the anthem. It's probably similar to Christmas which is more about presents, parties and Santa Claus these days than anything to do with Christianity.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I’ll sing it to show solidarity with my countrymen.

I think it’s a weak song though. We English should sing ‘Jerusalem’ instead which is more spiritually enriching, with a much better melody.
    So you don't believe that the words coming out of your own mouth matter?

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Not if you aren't the sort to overthink life.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    I doubt many English people give too much thought to the lyrics when they are singing the anthem. It's probably similar to Christmas which is more about presents, parties and Santa Claus these days than anything to do with Christianity.
    I would have thought belting out "God save our gracious Queen", "Long to reign over us:" at the top of one's voice, especially if that's in public, would matter to many.

I for one keep my mouth firmly shut when it's played, even in public. There's only so far one can go.

And what about the other points mentioned in the OP?

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Elaborate.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Elaborate.
    A lyric doesn't make your existence. Atheists are not really hardcore about their beliefs so they'll be done with it - if they have to sing this song in the first place - and move on to their next task in the day.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How do you think it looks from the perspective of foreigners that Britain ridicules as being "backward", "undemocratic", and "living in the Middle Ages"?

And lastly, what other National Anthems can you think of that praise, almost worship, the ruler in a similar manner?
    Your views?

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    A song doesn't matter. This is literally the first thread I've seen on this subject.

Beyond the lyrics, you can allege that the words of praise are more for the queen's chair rather than the queen of the time itself.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A lyric doesn't make your existence. Atheists are not really hardcore about their beliefs so they'll be done with it - if they have to sing this song in the first place - and move on to their next task in the day.
    When it's just a song playing in the background or you're singing along to as a form of entertainment, I would agree with you.

However, when it's in relation to a living, breathing individual, who also happens to be your head of state, the words are sung in a solemn manner usually on a formal occasion, and last but not least, by not uttering the words you are accused of being "unpatriotic" (as has happened with politicians and sportsmen/sportswomen), then it becomes a totally different matter.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    just as much importance a muslim probably gives to it.

Muslims only believe their religion is the only true religion and only their followers will go to jannat. And the queen being non muslim........... you get the point

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I would have thought belting out "God save our gracious Queen", "Long to reign over us:" at the top of one's voice, especially if that's in public, would matter to many.

I for one keep my mouth firmly shut when it's played, even in public. There's only so far one can go.

And what about the other points mentioned in the OP?
    I don't remember ever singing it to be honest, so I'm not even aware of the lyrics. If I was in a crowd singing it then I might just pretend to mumble along...probably like 90% of the rest in the crowd.

From my days of reading the tabloid rags, I got the impression that most Brits prefer Land of Hope and Glory anyway. Although I think those lyrics are more about the glory and majesty of the British Empire rather than just the stuffy old Queen.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    However, when it's in relation to a living, breathing individual, who also happens to be your head of state, the words are sung in a solemn manner usually on a formal occasion, and last but not least, by not uttering the words you are accused of being "unpatriotic" (as has happened with politicians and sportsmen/sportswomen), then it becomes a totally different matter.
    Who gives a crapola. Just do it and get on with your day.

Your post is exactly what I mean by overthinking life.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post

Muslims only believe their religion is the only true religion and only their followers will go to jannat. And the queen being non muslim........... you get the point
    Had I used the word "Muslims" instead of "Atheists" in the thread title, the usual suspects would have gone off on a totally different tangent, thus negating the whole point of the thread, namely the words "God save our gracious Queen". Hence the choice of the thread title.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Who gives a crapola. Just do it and get on with your day.
    You obviously, considering you've spent some of your valuable time posting at least four posts in the thread.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    You obviously, considering you've spent some of your valuable time posting at least four posts in the thread.
    Not a bad comeback, but I hope you got the gist of the post.

It's just a song.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    He's mainly just parroting my views from my first post anyway, not really sure why he thinks it needs repeating again and again. Unless he thinks my views are paramount....which of course they are since I'm actually British.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    598 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    You're overthinking this. I don't much like the song, but I sing it out of respect, just as I would take my shoes off in a mosque. If and when they choose a different song I'll sing that.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    779 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    God Save The Queen is an embarrassment whether you're an atheist or not !

Amongst this dirge, there's an even a verse about crushing the rebellious Scots.

At the very least, switch England's sporting national anthem to Jerusalem.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    God Save The Queen is an embarrassment whether you're an atheist or not !

Amongst this dirge, there's an even a verse about crushing the rebellious Scots.

At the very least, switch England's sporting national anthem to Jerusalem.
    There's a verse about crushing the rebellious Scots?! I'd have learned it off by heart if I'd known that!

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    598 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    There's a verse about crushing the rebellious Scots?! I'd have learned it off by heart if I'd known that!
    Verse six of six (we usually only sing verses one and three)....

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush,
    And like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush.
    God save the King!

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    598 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Verse four is the best @Markhor:

Not in this land alone,
    But be God’s mercies known,
    From shore to shore!
    Lord make the nations see,
    That men should brothers be,
    And form one family,
    The wide world over.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    atheist celebrate Eid, Christmas, Easter, Diwali too

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rubbish song, Jerusalem is much better.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A lot of atheists only seem to be show their atheism, when denouncing religion. Most are happy to sing the national anthem, take part in Christmas, Easter etc.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I don't believe in a monarchy so I wouldn't sing along.

Better luck next time

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1040 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What happens when the Queen passes, do the Brits change their anthem?

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    What happens when the Queen passes, do the Brits change their anthem?
    God save the King.

Prince Charles or William. The Queen was very poorly recently, I think her innings is coming to an end soon.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miandadrules View Post
    I don't believe in a monarchy so I wouldn't sing along.
    What if it was God save the Prime Minister?

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post

No, that's not what Islam says.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    God save the King.

Prince Charles or William. The Queen was very poorly recently, I think her innings is coming to an end soon.
    I agree. The handover to Charles has already begun in terms of public appearances. The same will be going on within the Palace as well. Historically this is what happens when a monarch's reign is drawing to a close.

I think Elizabeth has another couple of years in her, tops. She may even abdicate if she continues to live for longer than that but becomes particularly frail.

Charles has been waiting for so long!! He will be a happy man when he can finally don the Crown Jewels.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    598 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    God save the King.

Her mother made it to 102, but I think she will abdicate, having already passed Victoria as longest-serving monarch. 65 years now. It will make a lot of people sad as she has been a constant anchor in our lives.

God save King Charles III. Though I think he might want to be called William V due to the negative historical connotations if the name Charles.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    598 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    What if it was God save the Prime Minister?
    The PM would not be head of state in a republic - we would have to create an executive President.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Her mother made it to 102, but I think she will abdicate, having already passed Victoria as longest-serving monarch. 65 years now. It will make a lot of people sad as she has been a constant anchor in our lives.

God save King Charles III. Though I think he might want to be called William V due to the negative historical connotations if the name Charles.
    Charles Philip Arthur George is his name. I have heard that William is another moniker that he is considering.

I would absolutely love it if he called himself King Arthur. Nobody would be able to stop him and it would be awesome.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    598 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I would absolutely love it if he called himself King Arthur. Nobody would be able to stop him and it would be awesome.

THere nearly was a King Arthur once, Henry VIII's elder brother, who died young.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The PM would not be head of state in a republic - we would have to create an executive President.
    She's been around for a long time sure but has been a passive monarch, basically following protocol and behaving within her limits. I think she should have used her status much more in highlighting the many issues the poor, weak face in the UK and around the world.

Diana would have a great queen and I would happy sing the anthem for her.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    598 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    She's been around for a long time sure but has been a passive monarch, basically following protocol and behaving within her limits. I think she should have used her status much more in highlighting the many issues the poor, weak face in the UK and around the world.

Diana would have a great queen and I would happy sing the anthem for her.
    Ah, well, the Monarch has to stick within protocol. Charles has been an environmental advocate but that will end when he takes the crown, I think.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Getting back to the other two points in the OP .....

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    598 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I am sure most Britons simply do not care how it looks to non-Britons.

Conflation of God with Monarch is a hangover from Middle Age thinking based on Platonic Christianity. It took a hit when Charles I got decapitated, and Britain entered the World Turned Upside Down period.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I am sure most Britons simply do not care how it looks to non-Britons. .
    The question posed is not what Britons think, but what those that Britons regard as being "backward", "undemocratic", and "living in the Middle Ages" think about Britons almost worshipping their hereditory head of state when uttering/singing the words of their National Anthem.

One could therefore argue that the question is not even directed at such as yourself.
    Last edited by Yossarian; 16th November 2017 at 10:52.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    The question posed is not what Britons think, but what those that Britons regard as being "backward", "undemocratic", and "living in the Middle Ages" think about Britons almost worshipping their hereditory head of state when uttering/singing the words of their National Anthem.

One could therefore argue that the question is not even directed at such as yourself.
    Are you asking about the views of backward or undemocratic nations? We can't really know that unless they comment on it. Obviously Brits themselves don't really care too much about their opinions anyway.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Are you asking about the views of backward or undemocratic nations? We can't really know that unless they comment on it. Obviously Brits themselves don't really care too much about their opinions anyway.
    "Don't do as we do, do as we say". Or something like that anyway.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    "Don't do as we do, do as we say". Or something like that anyway.
    I think developing nations are seen in a different light. It's like the caste or class system, one rule for us, another for them. We in the west are clearly superior so they need to take advice from us, not the other way round. The advice that makes sense for us would only make sense for them if they were equal, which they aren't. Hence First World and Third World categorisation.