Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Remembering Mitchell Johnson's frightening run in 2013/14

Mitchell Johnson ashes in 2013/2014 and his series has to be one of the most devastating runs for a fast bowler in recent memory. The fear he created amongst SA and English batsmen is something that hasn't been seen often.

Whilst Johnson is not ATG, created this thread in memory of that of that period. Also credit to Michael Clarkes captaincy as he used Johnson in short spells and gave him the licence to bowl fast in a short spell with attacking fields.

@Chief Destroyer @Buffet @Markhor

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Was lethal in later half of his career.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the devastating seasons of all-time by a fast bowler.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely breathtaking stuff it was.

Videos on youtube are worth watching.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KyoOne View Post
    Was lethal in later half of his career.
    It was for a few months.

He was a disappointment when Aussies visited UAE tho. But Yee-Haaw for MJ!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    One of the devastating seasons of all-time by a fast bowler.
    Agreed. A shame he couldn't do it for a longer period.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been watching cricket for last 20 odd years. Only 2 bowlers for me have terrorized batsmen in a physical way when they were on song ; Akhtar and Johnson.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was awesome to see him being useless in UAE in 2014 following the devastation he caused in the Ashes. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Breathtaking stuff from him. ABDV was the only player who did well against him.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stuff of legends.He was unbelievable in the Ashes as well as the South Africa series.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arham_PakFan View Post
    The stuff of legends.He was unbelievable in the Ashes as well as the South Africa series.
    Why was he a failure in the UAE the following year? Is he just one of those bowlers who can only be good at home?

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM1989 View Post
    Why was he a failure in the UAE the following year? Is he just one of those bowlers who can only be good at home?
    Or maybe he just got off his purple patch?He always did well in favorable conditions.

He generally failed in the subcontinent.Has a bowling average of 40+ in SL,India and the UAE.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arham_PakFan View Post
    Or maybe he just got off his purple patch?He always did well in favorable conditions.

He generally failed in the subcontinent.Has a bowling average of 40+ in SL,India and the UAE.
    Thats the thing. We berate bowlers like Yasir Shah for not performing in England and only on Dusty asian pitches. But the same standard is not applied to Mitchell Johnson.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    600 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Lillee did a great coaching job to turn him from a scattergun who got picked off at will to a.... well, a left-arm Lillee.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhenSultansBowled View Post
    It was for a few months.

UAE pitches are the real disappointment. Completely discourages any exciting test cricket for 80% of the match. Not much fast bowlers can do.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thats the thing. We berate bowlers like Yasir Shah for not performing in England and only on Dusty asian pitches. But the same standard is not applied to Mitchell Johnson.
    How many Aus called Johnson an ATG bowler? Many Aus berate players as well if they only perform at home.

--------

On Topic - I can't forget how Broad got out while trying to avoid a ball. It used to happen in earlier eras often, but not a common sight in current era.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Lillee did a great coaching job to turn him from a scattergun who got picked off at will to a.... well, a left-arm Lillee.
    More of a Thomson than Lillee.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I watched every single game and probably every spell. I was hooked. Fast bowling and batsmen facing fast bowlers is why I watch cricket.

Johnson had two periods in his career where he bowled express, around 2009 and 2013-14.

Johnson is what I hoped Wahab would become. Unfortunately, we don't have the coaches or resources to fine-tune Wahab's raw ability. He's had his moments but he could've been so much more.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    844 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    That Ashes series and the series in South Africa after that were superb entertainment. Batsman after batsman was hopping around due to the sheer pace and ferocity of the previously ridiculed Australian speedster. Massive respect to AB and Amla for being the only batsmen that were able to fend off Mitch at his best.

Come on, man. How do you expect a bowler like MJ to find success on the slow and low roads of the UAE? There was absolutely no bounce or pace on offer.

After that, MJ started to slow down and never regained the form he had found himself in during the previous summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    I watched every single game and probably every spell. I was hooked. Fast bowling and batsmen facing fast bowlers is why I watch cricket.

Johnson had two periods in his career where he bowled express, around 2009 and 2013-14.

Johnson is what I hoped Wahab would become. Unfortunately, we don't have the coaches or resources to fine-tune Wahab's raw ability. He's had his moments but he could've been so much more.
    Good point about Riaz. He definitely could have become someone like MJ and during a brief moment in the 2015 WC he did look like the Pakistani Johnson but it wasn't to last.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhenSultansBowled View Post
    It was for a few months.

Seems like no-one on here remembers that he had a sustained run of bone-breaking, helmet rattling, wicket taking form across 2008-2009 as well.

The bloke has 300 odd Test wickets and muppets on here write him off as a one series wonder.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    Seems like no-one on here remembers that he had a sustained run of bone-breaking, helmet rattling, wicket taking form across 2008-2009 as well.

The bloke has 300 odd Test wickets and muppets on here write him off as a one series wonder.
    Do not get triggered triggered o dear. Name calling and all

Just saying things as I recall. Ain't no ESPN to follow his career around

All I remember is him bowling 120kph jaffas to Misbah and Clarke setting fielders behind WK, for top edges and all that you know

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbf England have a propensity for implosion like no other (test) team. They lost what 3/4 five match series against the Windies on the trot, home & way! That MJ was in the form of his lfe was just what the doctor ordered for Aus, without him (bat & bowl) Aus would've struggled to win the series, especially considering the poor starts they had in virtually each of the first few games.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, this is the reason I love cricket. The adrenaline rush good fast bowling gives you it cannot be substituted by spin bowling or hitting boundaries.

This is the level of adrenaline rush where cricket can match other sports like boxing, F1, football, etc.

At the moment when cricket is trying to become a global sport we need more seasons of tearaway fast bowling where the batsmen are genuinely in fear of their wellbeing. As mentioned before this sort of adrenaline rush will only attract new viewers to watch this sport.

For me if cricket needs to revive enthusiasm then the most important step it should take is organising a test championship. This would make test cricket vital and the winner would be ranked as the best cricketing nation as Test format is what paints the picture of real cricket. Now I don't want the championship proposed by ICC where 9 teams will participate, it wont work that way. The best way, I believe to go about test championship is to divide the 12 test nations into three tiers. Tier 1 would be top 4 ranked teams and the winner would then be crowned as champions. The winner of tier 2 and tier 3 will be promoted onto the above respective tiers and losers would be demoted to below tiers. The idea is that each team in a tier will get to play the other 3 countries at least 2 home and 2 away games and points would be allocated appropriately. The championship would last a 2 years cycle.

I understand that I deviated from the topic of Mitch Johnson, but above is just my personal wish to see revival of interest in test cricket and teams actually playing for an eventual prize resulting in more competition.

I don't want any sort of ODI championship as we already have an ODI and T20 world cup which justifies the champion of that format.