User Tag List

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would you rate Brett Lee across all formats?

He averages 30.88 and has picked 310 wickets in 76 tests while in odis, he has picked 380 wickets at 23.36.

I think he is an ODI ATG and a very good test bowler. How would you define his overall legacy?

Discuss!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You summed it up well. If memory serves me correct his WC record is very good as well.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    An ATG ODI bowler.

In Tests, he was too erratic with his line and length. Would go for runs. But when he takes wickets, he takes them in bunches. Still a very good ODI bowler.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Excellent ODI bowler.

Moderate in tests and very lucky to have McGrath at the other end - didn't seem to have a stock ball, it was all bouncer-yorker-bouncer-yorker. He was a big factor in the England Ashes win in 2005. Tres, Strauss and Vaughan were picking him off for fours nearly at will at times.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Excellent ODI bowler.

Moderate in tests and very lucky to have McGrath at the other end - didn't seem to have a stock ball, it was all bouncer-yorker-bouncer-yorker. He was a big factor in the England Ashes win in 2005. Tres, Strauss and Vaughan were picking him off for fours nearly at will at times.
    Can remember that series. His batting wasn't bad in that series though

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3888 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    An ATG ODI bowler and a good Test bowler. In addition, he was a proper box office player who is one of the most loved and celebrated cricketers of all time.

His persona, pace, fitness, action and that signature celebration won him many fans around the globe. In the 2000s, Shoaib Akhtar was the only bowler who matched his popularity and stardom.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being tall handsome quick and charismatic would make enhance his popularity.
    Performance wise like others have said very good in ODIs and average in tests didn't complement McGrath enough should've done better in tests playing in the lineup he did.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Excellent ODI bowler, easily in the top 10 of all time. Bowled fast and did it consistently. Always had a smile on his face.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ODI bowler, a menace for Pakistan whenever he played against us... Better than Shoaib in ODIs.

Akhtar does better in test matches... however he played considerably lesser than hi,

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An underrated perspective of his game was his batting. A very decent bat down the order with an average of 17.82 in ODIs and average of 20.15 in tests.

Thats pretty handy, we would call this allrounder level batting.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1096 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Brett Lee was a great ODI bowler and surely a ATG in that format. Could have been much better in tests though but still a decent enough third seamer for Australia.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    What is Brett Lee's success in India, Sri Lanka, UAE bowling on those roads? I don't recall seeing him ever run through a side on absolute dead wickets like Akhtar has done many times in his career.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    840 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Like Shahid Afridi, he was someone who would get in a team based on name alone. A true star player and someone who had fans from across the world. Unlike Afridi, he was a genuine ATG in the shorter format and he could back up his style with substance.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ATG ODI bowler and a good test bowler.

Very exciting, pacy and entertaining cricketer. A massive box office hit.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    ATG ODI player and a bog average test bowler.

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Newark
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is the greatest ODI pacer in my opinion.
    That ave in an era dominated by bat is just exemplary.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A poor man's MJ (Ashes 2013) at his best, at his worst though he's arguably one of the worst pacers to play so many tests for Aus in the last 50 years. Being in an ATG squad with McWarne & Gillespie, Mcgill had its obvious perks.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    775 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Far better in ODIs than he was in Tests.

Was terrifying in the 2003 WC.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like todays batsman would play him alot better then the batsman of 2000's where aggressive players were very few and far between compared to now.

The t20 generation batsman of this age like Kohli, Root, Williamson would take him to the cleaners i reckon because Lee's good balls were either a bouncer or yorker, these batsman of todays age back themselves to clear the boundary on these balls, where the batsman of the last generation would rather duck and dive out of the way.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SamNJ View Post
    He is the greatest ODI pacer in my opinion.
    That ave in an era dominated by bat is just exemplary.
    Nah not for me, even Waqar was a better ODI pacer then him in my opinion.

Lee was rated in his time more for his looks and blonde hair then anything, and the fact that India made him a superstar getting him to sing a duet with lata mangeshkar, starring in films etc because the Indians didn't want to give Shoaib Akthar any more popularity because he was pakistani.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Bury
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Excellent ODI bowler.

Couldn’t agree more. I loved it when he would come on and dish out dollies for easy runs. Thanks to him and McGrath stepping on a cricket ball the 2005 ashes ended up being at least a little competitive otherwise England would have been steam rollered