Instagram


The Cricket Paper

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    479
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hashim Amla's brilliant turnaround in T20s during the last couple of years

    Now this thread is not about his performances in WCs or KOs but about a batsman who was once considered too slow for ODIs and the same the logic was applied when he tried to fit into T20s, This is the same guy who was twice rejected by IPL only to be brought in later as a replacement bat and the next season ended up scoring 2 100s in IPL, I was shocked to see his stats across all T20s over the last 2 years, Average/Strike Rate/Sixes all look phenomenal and resemble stats which any T20 specialist would proudly possess. He is about 35 years old and only has maybe 2-3 seasons left in him however his rise in this specific format which has also coincided with a slight downfall in the other 2 formats to an extent(Though he seems to be getting back to some form in these formats as well even if it was against bangladesh) shows how good he is at this format right now, Dare i say he is one of the best T20 bats in the world today. Absolutely phenomenal how this guy keeps improving his game in his mid 30s in an absolutely alien format to his gifts.

    Screenshot attached below for reference
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    27,187
    Mentioned
    840 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He's been brilliant in T20Is since the start of 2016. Averages in the 60s with a SR of almost 150, which is better than Virat Kohli's. Definitely one of the best T20 batsmen around and no one, including me, would have been able to predict how much he has improved in the shortest format.


    لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

  3. #3
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    27,187
    Mentioned
    840 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    A shame he isn't going to play in the PSL.


    لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

  4. #4
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    8,880
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a great player; many people would think he is a Test only player but he's shown he can adapt to all 3 formats.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    15,088
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good stats but he has failed where it matters in T20s and that's in the T20 WC.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    NB, Canada
    Runs
    2,212
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Surprised that no PSL team picked him, he is the type of player to excel on flat roads while also play sensibly if pitches will be slow like they will be in the UAE.


    Babar Azam: Runs 8032, Average 44, Top Score: 204, Fav fan: CricFan2012

  7. #7
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    15,088
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricFan2012 View Post
    Surprised that no PSL team picked him, he is the type of player to excel on flat roads while also play sensibly if pitches will be slow like they will be in the UAE.

    Can't select a player who doesn't make himself avaliabe for the draft lol.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    27,187
    Mentioned
    840 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Good stats but he has failed where it matters in T20s and that's in the T20 WC.
    He did pretty well in the last T20 WC and there has only been the one in the time period specified. However, it is much easier to drop a one sentence cliche than doing some research.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    4,854
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T20s in current era= odis in Gavaskar's era..

  10. #10
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    15,088
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    He did pretty well in the last T20 WC and there has only been the one in the time period specified. However, it is much easier to drop a one sentence cliche than doing some research.

    I have seen all the t20 WC he's played and he's failed in the crunch games. But whatever you say. Amla is better than Bradman,Viv,Tendulkar,Lara, and Pointing in your opinion.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,455
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He has a habit of proving his critics wrong. None thought he was suitable for ODIs and he averaged 50 at 90 SR. The same was said about T20s and he has adapted so well to that format as well.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    27,187
    Mentioned
    840 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    I have seen all the t20 WC he's played and he's failed in the crunch games. But whatever you say. Amla is better than Bradman,Viv,Tendulkar,Lara, and Pointing in your opinion.
    Yet another thread that you fail to understand. Amla has improved by leaps and bounds since the start of 2016 in T20s and this thread is an appreciation of that. What he did in WT20s outside of the last two years does not matter.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    479
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Good stats but he has failed where it matters in T20s and that's in the T20 WC.
    Correct me if i am wrong, I created this thread solely to demonstrate how he has improved in this format over the last 2 years and during this time there was 1 T20 WC and SA did not make the KOs in this tournament however Amla did well in this tournament, You can check the stats.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    27,187
    Mentioned
    840 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bill_123 View Post
    Correct me if i am wrong, I created this thread solely to demonstrate how he has improved in this format over the last 2 years and during this time there was 1 T20 WC and SA did not make the KOs in this tournament however Amla did well in this tournament, You can check the stats.
    Maybe he will be better able to understand the same words from someone else. "But but Amla fail in 2012 crunch t20wc ko matcges"

  15. #15
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    479
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Maybe he will be better able to understand the same words from someone else. "But but Amla fail in 2012 crunch t20wc ko matcges"
    Btw any T20 WCs in the next 2-4 years?, Hash may have played his last in 16 however he is pretty much in his prime in this format and would be unlucky not to get a chance at it.
    Last edited by UN talkz; 15th November 2017 at 16:38.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    27,187
    Mentioned
    840 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bill_123 View Post
    Btw any T20 WCs in the next 2-4 years?, Hash may have played his last in 16 however he is pretty much in his prime in this format and would be unlucky not to get a chance at it.
    The next one is in 2020 so it will be tough. He'll be 35 early next year and South Africa are not known to feature players over the age of 36. The 2019 ODI WC might be the final swansong for Amla, Steyn, AB, Faf, Morkel, Tahir and Duminy.
    Last edited by UN talkz; 15th November 2017 at 16:41.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    15,088
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amla averaged 40 in the world t20 last year, scored 58 versus England. Was outperformed by the opposition batsmen. But according to sir Bilal logic scoring on flat pitches in T20s doesn't count so that innings doesn't count according to @Bilal7 logic. Amla scored 56 versus Sri Lanka. Now if I remember correctly, according to @Bilal7 Kohlis knock versus Bang in CT semi doesn't count because of the quality of opposition and a flat pitch. Amla scored here in a dead rubber versus extremely weak opponents. So according to sir Bilal logic this innings doesn't count. And now in the most important games versus WI , on a difficult wicket and pressure game Hashim Amla scored 1 run off 2 balls and choked once again. Now explain to me Sir Bilal how this was a good tournament?

    Now on 2014 edition,another epic choke from Amla as he scored 23 off 41 chasing 165. Along with JP Dumminy he cost South Africa the game. Another epic performance. Amlas anchor role benefited SA on this day . @Bilal7

    41 off 56 versus NZ another poor innings but luckily JP Dumminy had one of his rare good games and scored 86 off 57 and ensured SA had enough to win the game.

    Amla than scored 43 off 20 versus Netherlands. But accord8ng to sir Bilal logic this doesn't count because Kohli scoring in a semi final versus Ban doesn't count. So why should scoring against Netherlands count?

    A good knock versus England where Amla scored 56 off 43. SA won the game so a good knock which I'll give credit for unlike you I'm not a biased and bitter person I can give credit where it's due.

    Than came the big game in the semis vs India. Amlas chance to shine. What does he do? 22 of 24 . Another epic choke what makes matter worse is Kohli scored 72 not out to win the game versus an attack of Morkel,Steyn,and Tahir . Another epic performance.


    In 2012 his scores were

    32 vs Zimbabwe chasing 94 to win. But as per your logic, this doesn't count because it was a low score and it was versus poor opposition.

    16 off 9 versus Sri Lanka in a rain affected game. Difficult to call this a failure or success . ABD scored 30 off 13 and JP scored 12 off 5. So it wasn't because of Amla South Africa won this game.

    Now into the next round, Amla scored an epic 6 off 6 and was dismissed by Arfat. Another choke in a knockout round.

    In the next game versus Australia, Amla scored 17 off 15 and was dismissed by Shane Watson so you can't even use the excuse that he was dismissed by a top bowler. So that's 2 failures out of 2 in the key games .

    Than in the dead rubber versus India, Amla scored a duck . So Amla failed in this tournament.


    So as you can see from this Amla has failed in most crunch games in the t20 WC. If you can't admit Amla has choked in world t20 big games, you are just an extremely biased and deluded person. Didn't go any further back because this enough proof that Amla has failed in world t20s. Good stats but fails when it counts.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    15,088
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bill_123 View Post
    Correct me if i am wrong, I created this thread solely to demonstrate how he has improved in this format over the last 2 years and during this time there was 1 T20 WC and SA did not make the KOs in this tournament however Amla did well in this tournament, You can check the stats.

    I said he has good stats but has failed where it counts in t20s. It's a fair assessment and you can see my post below to show how awful he's been in key games in world t20s.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    15,088
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Yet another thread that you fail to understand. Amla has improved by leaps and bounds since the start of 2016 in T20s and this thread is an appreciation of that. What he did in WT20s outside of the last two years does not matter.
    I just made a point . For you Amla can do no wrong anyway. It's interesting how bilaterals in t20s become important but when Kohlis scores in bilateral t20s they become irrelevant.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    srinagar
    Runs
    1,424
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please Stay on Topic and Refrain from insulting other members.


    SIR DONALD BRADMAN ------SORRY, BUT NO ONE LIKE HIM

  21. #21
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    263
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no doubt that those stats are really impressive and that too for a player like Hashim Amla, the last player you would expect to have stats like those in T20 from the South Africa team. Maybe PSL teams should have looked at him for the next edition.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    Kerala
    Runs
    7,593
    Mentioned
    1972 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    .
    not every dismissal is choke. against India he's playing beautifully but beaten by very good delivery. in 2014 and 2016 WT20s he's played well whatever way you look at it. he played his role very well


    ﺳُﺒْﺤَﺎﻥَ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪِ ﻭﺍﻟْﺤَﻤْﺪُﻟﻠّﻪِ ﻭَ ﻻ ﺍِﻟﻪَ ﺍِﻟَّﺎ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪُ ﻭَ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪُ ﺍَﻛْﺒَﺮُ
    PCL 3 FC CHAMPIONS | Loose Cannons CC | #CannonsFire

  23. #23
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    Kerala
    Runs
    7,593
    Mentioned
    1972 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    on topic he's been top opener in t20s since 2014. guess his average around mid 30s with 130+ SR


    ﺳُﺒْﺤَﺎﻥَ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪِ ﻭﺍﻟْﺤَﻤْﺪُﻟﻠّﻪِ ﻭَ ﻻ ﺍِﻟﻪَ ﺍِﻟَّﺎ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪُ ﻭَ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪُ ﺍَﻛْﺒَﺮُ
    PCL 3 FC CHAMPIONS | Loose Cannons CC | #CannonsFire

  24. #24
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    15,088
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smbhayi View Post
    not every dismissal is choke. against India he's playing beautifully but beaten by very good delivery. in 2014 and 2016 WT20s he's played well whatever way you look at it. he played his role very well
    Fair point but when it comes to the crunch games in ODIs and t20s,he's failed. That's the only point I was trying to make. He has very good stats apart from icc tournaments.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    Kerala
    Runs
    7,593
    Mentioned
    1972 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Fair point but when it comes to the crunch games in ODIs and t20s,he's failed. That's the only point I was trying to make. He has very good stats apart from icc tournaments.
    you dismissed his performance vs Eng 2016. isn't that important match?


    ﺳُﺒْﺤَﺎﻥَ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪِ ﻭﺍﻟْﺤَﻤْﺪُﻟﻠّﻪِ ﻭَ ﻻ ﺍِﻟﻪَ ﺍِﻟَّﺎ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪُ ﻭَ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪُ ﺍَﻛْﺒَﺮُ
    PCL 3 FC CHAMPIONS | Loose Cannons CC | #CannonsFire

  26. #26
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    15,088
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smbhayi View Post
    you dismissed his performance vs Eng 2016. isn't that important match?
    Good performance but was overshadowed by Root. And he failed vs West Indies in the important game. Also according to Amlas biggest fan Kohlis knock versus Bangladesh doesn't count in the CT semi but Amlas knock versus SL in 2016 world t20 in a dead rubber can be used to show Amla isn't a choker.

    Can you explain that logic?

    I have no problem with Amla, just 1 poster who refuses to find any fault with Amla.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    1,705
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is fashionable to dis Amla.

    He has built an undeniable case for himself in T20s.

    His CV' will immensely improve when he wins couple of crunch games.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    15,088
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corridor of Uncertainty View Post
    It is fashionable to dis Amla.

    He has built an undeniable case for himself in T20s.

    His CV' will immensely improve when he wins couple of crunch games.
    It's also fashionable to turn him into something he's not. I respect him as a player. Just pointing out where he needs to improve.

    Amla brigade need to stop thinking he's immune from critiscm.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,455
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Good performance but was overshadowed by Root. And he failed vs West Indies in the important game. Also according to Amlas biggest fan Kohlis knock versus Bangladesh doesn't count in the CT semi but Amlas knock versus SL in 2016 world t20 in a dead rubber can be used to show Amla isn't a choker.

    Can you explain that logic?

    I have no problem with Amla, just 1 poster who refuses to find any fault with Amla.
    What kind of logic is that? A good batting performance is a good batting performance. By this logic, Kohli was overshadowed by Simmons and Russell. That does not mean that Kohli did not play a good inning.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    NB, Canada
    Runs
    2,212
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Can't select a player who doesn't make himself avaliabe for the draft lol.
    Wasn't aware of that. South Africa playing any games during the PSL?


    Babar Azam: Runs 8032, Average 44, Top Score: 204, Fav fan: CricFan2012

  31. #31
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    15,088
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    What kind of logic is that? A good batting performance is a good batting performance. By this logic, Kohli was overshadowed by Simmons and Russell. That does not mean that Kohli did not play a good inning.

    Did I say it wasnt a good performance? All I said was he was overshadowed by Root which is the truth.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    15,088
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricFan2012 View Post
    Wasn't aware of that. South Africa playing any games during the PSL?
    I think they are playing Australia. But PSL comes at a time when the South African summer is coming to an end and the IPL isn't far away so don't see top South African players taking part in the PSL.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    27,187
    Mentioned
    840 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It's sad to see that some people still do not get the point of this thread. What Amla did or did not do before 2016 does not matter. This thread has been made because he has immensely improved in T20s over the last two years and would walk into any T20 team in the world, presently. He had a very good showing in the 2016 WT20.

    World class in all three formats and the rankings simply confirm this.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    1,705
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    It's also fashionable to turn him into something he's not. I respect him as a player. Just pointing out where he needs to improve.

    Amla brigade need to stop thinking he's immune from critiscm.
    As I said, he needs to win a couple of crunch games.

    I am not Amla brigade. This branding business on PP gets under my skin.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    919
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Top player. Knows his strengths.

    Rotates strike like magic, and does not go for rash strokes. Hits boundries at ease due to his supple wrists.

    He is everything Yousuf could have been had he been allowed to play and prosper without interruptions,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •