Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Afghanistan's future looking bright

Their youngsters are outstanding and play with hunger and also have the skills to go with it

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    They are here to stay. Even if some say these guys are over-aged, they are still amazing. They are athletic, they bowl well, field well and if they are provided with right facilities they will only get better.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The funny thing is some «experts» here were saying they can not bat during match thread @Chiefdestroyer

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    No.....

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course. They will be hard to beat in asian conditions. Team will develop in next 10-15 years to be par with most teams. Overseas even Pakistan India struggle overseas, so might struggle there.

Ex Shahid Afridi fan.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Somewhere in Asia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes and they will progress faster than the current asian teams

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subcontinent rankings in 15 years:

1. India
    2. Afghanistan
    3. Pakistan
    4. Sri lanka
    5. Bangladesh

In merit vs potential, potential usually causes the greatest heartbreak

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan players look ready to take on the world. Really impressed.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously wanted Pakistan to win but am happy for Afghanistan at the same time. We all know what the political situation is in that country with the war etc so it's a fairy tale story of how they have risen in the last 10 years.

I wish they could play home in Afghanistan but I can't see that happening for a very long time for obvious reasons. I hope they get given a lot of International cricket now though, I reckon in "home" conditions ie Greater Noida/UAE they could challenge non Asian sides in all 3 formats.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Somewhere from Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Obviously I wanted that Pakistan will win but at the same time i am happy for Afghanistan too. We all know how bad political situation is in that country with the war etc. So it's a big achievement for them.
    Probably has the best raw talent at the moment among the Asian teams. But mental maturity I believe level is lacking, from what I have seen they are often too emotional. Their fans I have encountered in social media and in real life has been fabulously optimistic and enthusiastic about their cricket future.
    They are much better than Ireland with whom they used to get compared with few years back
    Last edited by Anik Sharma; 19th November 2017 at 16:28.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Incredible progress really.

To what do they owe their success? How seriously/well chosen do Asian teams take u19 cricket?

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Hockey is Pakistan's national sport, I think Cricket needs to be Afghanistan's national sport. Out of all the creeds in the subcontinent, Pashtuns (both Afghanis and Pakhtuns) are probably the most fervent followers of the sport.

In Karachi, more than half the street cricketers are Pakhtuns (those I have seen), and let me tell you there's a Shoaib Akhtar and a Shahid Afridi in every nook and corner! Towering sixes are referred to as "Pathan shot" in gully cricket, and while they are bowling, the ball reaches the batsman even before he has a chance to lift his bat. The only thing is that the delivery is either a wide yorker or a short ball aimed at the head of an individual twice as tall as the batsman.

In merit vs potential, potential usually causes the greatest heartbreak

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Great win, indeed. Winning at such junior level isn’t that big a thing, but the way they are crashing teams must be impressive.

I think, they have done the 1st part quite easily - that’s closing the gap with established countries in shortest time, next step if the tougher job, but their start is great. Wish them success in future - cricket needs more teams passionate about the game.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Win at U 19 doesnt mean that you will have the same success in international cricket.It needs a good and competitive domestic structure too which I dont think Afghanistan has now.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I think they will catch up with the other Asian teams very quickly in ODIs and T20Is.

However in Test cricket they'll have to be patient as that progress will take longer.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I think they will catch up with the other Asian teams very quickly in ODIs and T20Is.

However in Test cricket they'll have to be patient as that progress will take longer.
    Agreed...
    But i am amazed how they are able to produce so many mystery spinners.. with same action these guys are bowling 3-4 variations and are unplayable at U19 level.

Meri Barbaadiyan Durust Magar...
    Too Bata Kya Tujhe Sawaab Mila...

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good news for cricket that Afghanistan is doing well and improving.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IAJ View Post
    The funny thing is some «experts» here were saying they can not bat during match thread @Chiefdestroyer
    There's nothing funny about it. They can't bat. Our current U-19 batsmen are even more trash.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    ICC needs to invest more into Afghanistan. They can be a very strong force in Cricket

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I did not see any skills apart from their spinners.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asfandyar View Post
    Subcontinent rankings in 15 years:

1. India
    2. Afghanistan
    3. Pakistan
    4. Sri lanka
    5. Bangladesh
    I find that doubtful. India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh all have a bigger population base, economy, and more stability than Afghanistan does. Pakistan is on a rise and now that the economy is getting more stable, you will see more participation and development in Pakistani cricket.
    The next team to focus on is China. With half the world's population following cricket (1.8B in China, 1.5B in India, 200M and 150M in Pakistan and Bangladesh, plus 30M in Afghanistan), that keeps cricket on a long term rising path.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a follower of the game, I'm very happy to see another cricketing nation emerging fast in our neighborhood .
    Victories like this will only increase interest for cricket there and no question, in a decade or so, when security situation improved there, as expected, Afghanistan has potential to be one of the top 3 teams in Asia ( after India and Pak ) and in top 6 in the world.
    Last edited by UN talkz; 19th November 2017 at 21:26.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Afghanistan played all 19 years old then I would agree but from what I've seen I'm sure some of them are in their mid 20s. Afghans tend to lie about their age anyway.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan play fearless cricket. Exciting to watch.

Hoping they go from strength to strength.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Investment and focus in the right areas is the key.

Their coaching set up is excellent and they are sending their players around the world for tours and experience.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Venue
    Deen Over Dunya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afghans just need time to fine tune their skills. They have the natural athleticism (genes) to destroy all the existing Asian sides if given the proper support. I have been saying that for years now.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Their bowling unit is at par with most of the top asian sides but they need to find some good conventional batters.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The Afghan U-19 cricket team returned home late Tuesday after winning the U-19 Asia Youth Cup in Malaysia over the weekend.
    In their final match, they beat Pakistan U-19 cricket team by a sterling 185 runs.

On arrival home, the team received a warm welcome at the Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul.
    In the run up to their win, the Afghan U-19 cricket team beat UAE and Pakistan in their group matches but lost to Sri Lanka.
    After beating Nepal in the semi-finals they moved through to the finals where they beat Pakistan.

This was the first time in history that the Afghan team scooped the title.

“We showed today that if the opportunity is given to the youth of the country, they will win on the field; the country that has spent years at war has come together and this time became the champions of Asia,” Lotfullah Mashal, head of Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB), said.

“It is a great pleasure for us that our future youth generation, which is the U-19 cricket team, became the Asia champions which in reality showed they are the world champions,” said Minister of Urban Development, Sayed Sadat Mansoor Naderi.

“Cricket is not only about a bat and ball, but cricket is a game that has raised the name and flag of Afghanistan all over the world,” said second deputy speaker of parliament, Mohammad Nazir Ahmadzai.

After arriving home, a ceremony was held at the ACB offices in Kabul and cash prizes and letters of appreciation were handed out to the players and the national U-19 team’s technical staff.

http://www.tolonews.com/index.php/sp...80%99s-welcome

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan have now gone past Sri Lanka in the T20I rankings!

now ranked 8th!

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol. The current rankings are pretty idiotic with regards to minnows. It's like combining the top scorers of Premier League and 2nd division Championship where Vydra is top scorer for Derby, and also combining the League Tables and saying Derby is on the rise to the Premiere League.
    they still are light years away from the quality of Man City or Man Utd.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Wow, two losses for them at the start of the World Cup Qualifiers.

Just lost to Zimbabwe by 2 runs

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Since only 2 teams will qualify I guess WI and Zimbabwe will get in.. Scotland might surprise. Are Ireland playing qualifiers as well?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Scotland beat Nepal on Thursday that will probably be curtains for Afghanistan.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    WC shouldve had at least 12 teams...

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    WC shouldve had at least 12 teams...
    Agreed. All 4 out of Zim/WI/Afg/Ire deserve to be there.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making Rashid captain would probably turn out to be a blunder. He's young and inexperienced, Nabi or someone experienced should've been given the captaincy for this important tournament.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I strongly condemn the idea of only 10 team world cup. Its just CT with 2 extra teams.

WC should have teams like Afghanistan, NL, Scotland, Ireland, Zim in it. 14 team world cup was ideal. This 10 team nonsense is killing the game already.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    I strongly condemn the idea of only 10 team world cup. Its just CT with 2 extra teams.

WC should have teams like Afghanistan, NL, Scotland, Ireland, Zim in it. 14 team world cup was ideal. This 10 team nonsense is killing the game already.
    While it's easy to say all this practically it's very difficult because there are many matches against minnows that generate very low revenue

I think the 1999 CWC format would be very good.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Fact of the matter is the ICC are cutting the number of teams when it makes the least sense to do so.

Up to 2015 the majority of teams qualifying were miles off the pace. Dont get me wrong they still shouldve been there, but at least back then the old cliche of "too many one sided games" "pub cricketers dont belong at a WC" excuse wouldve had half a leg to stand on. Kenya upheld Associates for nearly a decade, Canada had a nice win vs Bangladesh and the fastest 100 vs the WI. 2007 was a disaster, barring Ireland's heroics and Canada being respectable vs England IIRC the rest never turned up.

Yet its hilarious ironic that, had every qualifier in WC history been pumped every game, wed still have 16 teams in four groups today. Only reason that ever changed was because the qualifiers were too good, and cost the ICC money.

Look at today alone. PNG pushed Ireland, the UAE, who need I remind everyone played the WCL Division 2 two weeks back and wouldnt even be in the Top 3 or 4 of Associates in terms of quality, put up 300 vs the WI! Scotland have defeated three FM's the past 12 months alone, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and Afghanistan.

Hong Kong are playing without their two best cricketers, one of whom is playing for NZ now. And contrary to popular belief HK groomed most its players through its own system, and not expats as is so often falsely claimed.

Fact is at no point in cricket history has their been so many teams capable of competing on the World Level, maybe not vs the Australias or South Africas but definitely vs the middle tier sides. Yet we get our smallest WC.

At least four of these teams deserve a shot, and if we were regarding improvements in quality six would make it.

Best thing that could happen cricket is if WI and AFG fail to qualify, as it will force the ICC to act and rethink 2023's event because a WC without the WI and the worlds number 1 ODI bowler will be a farce.

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    National Stadium Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal Cozzie View Post
    Fact of the matter is the ICC are cutting the number of teams when it makes the least sense to do so.

Up to 2015 the majority of teams qualifying were miles off the pace. Dont get me wrong they still shouldve been there, but at least back then the old cliche of "too many one sided games" "pub cricketers dont belong at a WC" excuse wouldve had half a leg to stand on. Kenya upheld Associates for nearly a decade, Canada had a nice win vs Bangladesh and the fastest 100 vs the WI. 2007 was a disaster, barring Ireland's heroics and Canada being respectable vs England IIRC the rest never turned up.

Yet its hilarious ironic that, had every qualifier in WC history been pumped every game, wed still have 16 teams in four groups today. Only reason that ever changed was because the qualifiers were too good, and cost the ICC money.

Look at today alone. PNG pushed Ireland, the UAE, who need I remind everyone played the WCL Division 2 two weeks back and wouldnt even be in the Top 3 or 4 of Associates in terms of quality, put up 300 vs the WI! Scotland have defeated three FM's the past 12 months alone, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and Afghanistan.

Hong Kong are playing without their two best cricketers, one of whom is playing for NZ now. And contrary to popular belief HK groomed most its players through its own system, and not expats as is so often falsely claimed.

Fact is at no point in cricket history has their been so many teams capable of competing on the World Level, maybe not vs the Australias or South Africas but definitely vs the middle tier sides. Yet we get our smallest WC.

At least four of these teams deserve a shot, and if we were regarding improvements in quality six would make it.

Best thing that could happen cricket is if WI and AFG fail to qualify, as it will force the ICC to act and rethink 2023's event because a WC without the WI and the worlds number 1 ODI bowler will be a farce.
    I can't agree more!Cricket needs more sides,not less.

The ODI WC should be played by a minimum of fourteen teams.T20 WC by a minimum of 16.In the T20 WC 4 groups of 4 teams each should play,with 3 test teams and an associate.ODI WC should be played with 2 groups of 7 teams,or if no. of teams can somehow be brought upto 16(highly unlikely) we can have 4 groups of 4 like in T20.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedgreen4ever View Post
    While it's easy to say all this practically it's very difficult because there are many matches against minnows that generate very low revenue

I think the 1999 CWC format would be very good.
    So we should be botherrd about low revenue from a world cup? World cup is like IPL or BpL to earn money?

World cups aren't meant for generating mass profits. It's to have a multinational tournament that is going to make the sport even better.

Will ICC lose money if teams like WI and Afghanistan play the world cup? No. Then what's the purpose of 10 team World cup. 14 or even 16 was gonna be ideal. Yes many onsided affairs but we see that between top teams anyways

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    So we should be botherrd about low revenue from a world cup? World cup is like IPL or BpL to earn money?

World cups aren't meant for generating mass profits. It's to have a multinational tournament that is going to make the sport even better.

Will ICC lose money if teams like WI and Afghanistan play the world cup? No. Then what's the purpose of 10 team World cup. 14 or even 16 was gonna be ideal. Yes many onsided affairs but we see that between top teams anyways
    2015 WC showed that thats not even true. Every argument against larger WC's has been proven time and again to be false.

"Too many boring, one sided games" - 2015 WC showed zero discrepancy between losing margins of Associates and FM's. In fact, the best matches of that event were between Associate or lower ranked teams i.e AFG vs SCO, IRE vs UAE, IRE vs ZIM, IRE vs WI, ZIM vs UAE, AFG vs SL.

"Nobody cares about these teams" - wrong again. One of the draws of WC's is the chance to see new players. Ireland vs UAE despite being between the two smallest fanbases at the event garnered more social media mentions and hashtags and all that jazz than most other matches, it was in the top 15 games of that event for fan interactivity. A match between Ireland and Hong Kong thats going to the wire would be more fresh and unique for neutral fans than yet another Pak vs SL snoozefest.

"WC is too long" - well the ten team event is two days longer than the 14 team one so that argument is dead.

"Too many dead rubbers" - Well at least 4 teams in 2019 are gonna be knocked out after three games and its highly likely 5 teams will be out by about the halfway stage of the group, so this ten team format just creates countless dead rubber matches.

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Wow!!! What a performance by team Afghanistan who consider themselves better than Bangladesh and Pakistan. An ungrateful cricket board along with over hype genius players who suddenly dismiss our contribution for their cricket growth and give credit to someone who not even involve with them for 5 years.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2015 WC showed that thats not even true. Every argument against larger WC's has been proven time and again to be false.

"Too many boring, one sided games" - 2015 WC showed zero discrepancy between losing margins of Associates and FM's. In fact, the best matches of that event were between Associate or lower ranked teams i.e AFG vs SCO, IRE vs UAE, IRE vs ZIM, IRE vs WI, ZIM vs UAE, AFG vs SL.

"Nobody cares about these teams" - wrong again. One of the draws of WC's is the chance to see new players. Ireland vs UAE despite being between the two smallest fanbases at the event garnered more social media mentions and hashtags and all that jazz than most other matches, it was in the top 15 games of that event for fan interactivity. A match between Ireland and Hong Kong thats going to the wire would be more fresh and unique for neutral fans than yet another Pak vs SL snoozefest.

"WC is too long" - well the ten team event is two days longer than the 14 team one so that argument is dead.

"Too many dead rubbers" - Well at least 4 teams in 2019 are gonna be knocked out after three games and its highly likely 5 teams will be out by about the halfway stage of the group, so this ten team format just creates countless dead rubber matches.
    With all due respect, most fans won't care about the matches you have mentioned in your post. Its a sad reality but it is a reality. The most you can eek out from these matches is neutral fans watching highlights if something extraordinary happens.

Dont support the decision to do away with the Associates, but ICC's reasons are understandable. ICC tournaments are their cash cow, and they want to milk it as much as possible. For Associates to be relevant at the World Cup, they would need to go for a format similar to WC07, but then they run thr risk of a major team to get knocked out early.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't totally agree with you about associate nations having more exciting matches

But I do believe cricket needs variation and the more the teams and the greater the fanbase the better. But one can understand that ICC is just trying to suck the money out of world cup as much as possible. I mean 9 games.per side. What kind of world cup is that and the fun part is semifinals already have met each other in group round

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    As a fan, I'd like to see exciting games on a daily basis in a world cup. Nepal vs UAE no matter how close the game is will never fascinated me as a neutral fan. There are just too many dead days in between good games and the tournament will be a drag. Associates can play qualifiers and may the best two teams make it to the world cup. I want Afg and WI make it to the world cup and they are sure to spring a couple of surprises in the world cup

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    12 is the sweet spot for me. Not too many but not too little.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    As a fan, I'd like to see exciting games on a daily basis in a world cup. Nepal vs UAE no matter how close the game is will never fascinated me as a neutral fan. There are just too many dead days in between good games and the tournament will be a drag. Associates can play qualifiers and may the best two teams make it to the world cup. I want Afg and WI make it to the world cup and they are sure to spring a couple of surprises in the world cup
    Contradictory statement much?

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Their recent results. overyhyped team being brought back to earth.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I think, this thread is about AFG's bright future - not how many teams in WC. Bottom line is, despite all hypes - they are on the edge of missing WC to ZIM, SCT or IRL. If WC qualification is the benchmark, then ICC can bring Nepal, PNG & HGK in status by increasing WC to 18 teams. Ideally, 12 should have been the perfect number, with ENG, qualifying automatically as hosts; + top 7 - that makes 8 automatic qualifiers and rest to fight out for last 4 - BUT, even then, after losing SCT & ZIM, AFGs are not likely to make it, so they should hardly complain (regarding number of teams in WC).

What I can sum-up for AFG cricket (only for LO, shouldn't talk about Test yet) is that, they have few excellent spinners, decent pace attack with pace (but not much skill) and explosive batting for shorter game, but not much technique for anything more than 20 overs game. This makes them a decent T20 side anywhere, quite good one in Asia actually. For ODI, on sluggish Asian wickets, they are a decent team for their spin attack (but not much when in chasing) - that's it.

On high scoring flat Asian belters, they'll struggle big time, because of the shaky batting. On relatively high scoring UAE, Ireland actually beat them from behind; but they did contested 2 low scoring ODI at Mirpur (winning one), then got blasted in the decider on a belter. Out side Asia, they'll struggle in most games because of the batting weakness and their spinners being not so effective.

From the format used for WC 2019, I see that ICC has categorized cricket world (ODI) in about 4 strata - top 8, next 6, next 4 & rest. WI (from 2nd group) are actually quite close to last 3 of top 8, while AFG & ZIM from next 6 can beat teams from that 4 (6 to 9) - which, I think is the biggest success for AFG, as they reached this level quickest among new comers. Their next target should be more consistency (rating might not show that, because they might improve, but someone has to decline as well for them to raise) - but that's probably the toughest job in cricket, because that'll need up-gradation of system and lots of proper methodical coaching.

PP is a bit extreme for everything - AFG team has gone from hero to drains, in the space of 3 days because they lost couple of tight games, which based on their hype demanded wins, but overall signs are positive & encouraging (though not from the U19 team's performance - that's actually a trap for them; need to do soul searching regarding where their future cricketers actually stands).

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    Matrix
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I thought since ACB started training at facilities provided by BCCI their performance had improved significantly...lmao

Gharor ka sir neecha.

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan will be playing world cup in 2023 along with India in India when all other countries will be playing actual world cup somewhere else....

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the big fuss over Afghan Cricket. They're a rookie side at best.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badsha001 View Post
    Afghanistan will be playing world cup in 2023 along with India in India when all other countries will be playing actual world cup somewhere else....
    Elaborate please ...

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    Contradictory statement much?
    Close games between elite players are fascinating. Others, not much

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Marginally better than a club team. Adds no value to cricket given their country is a warzone and fans generate zero revenue.

Should be focussing on countries which can provide income not a finanical burden.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Looks like they're about to crash out of the WC qualifiers... Can they qualify if they lose to HK today? 99 in 11 overs with 3 wickets in hand, it's not gonna happen.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bright and shining like a star

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overconfident Afghans thrashed even by the minnows of minnows in WC qualifiers.

Making Rashid captain in this all important tournament, was a blunder and it affected his own performance as well. They thought Rashid is their awaited Prince who'll take them to ultimate glory but it backfired.

Shehzad is an idiotic man child too, he got banned for his unprofessional behavior on the field and it hurt Afghan team because he's one of their best batsmen.

Complacency turned into fear in a matter of days.

If they don't learn from this, they can't progress.
    Last edited by BlueDoritos; 8th March 2018 at 19:06.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    National Stadium Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread was made too soon.

On a serious note,disappointing to see a test team miss out on a WC spot.WI have virtually qualified so Scotland,Ireland and Zimbabwe will be slugging it out.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If u look at South African test side and the flight of afrikaner players the kolpak

Now afghan and Ireland becoming test sides or future test sides

You can't take test cricket seriously

Even established sides just look at Pakistan are the current test batsmen or bowlers even a scratch on the past players we had

How can we get excited about azhar Shafiq when u compare them to the past legends in our team
    And our bowling is headed by Amir wahab it would be insult to compare them to our past fast bowlers

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arham_PakFan View Post
    This thread was made too soon.

On a serious note,disappointing to see a test team miss out on a WC spot.WI have virtually qualified so Scotland,Ireland and Zimbabwe will be slugging it out.
    Seems like it'll be West Indies and Scotland.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan losing to Hongkong?

What happened to them? Is this choking? Not long ago, they were beating other minnow sides for fun. They even competed well against the likes of BD.

Afghanistan should be very disappointed by the results. If they miss out, it will be a great set back.

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    Afghanistan losing to Hongkong?

What happened to them? Is this choking? Not long ago, they were beating other minnow sides for fun. They even competed well against the likes of BD.

Afghanistan should be very disappointed by the results. If they miss out, it will be a great set back.
    They are going home fore sure. After today's loss i think they have no chance of proceeding to next round. Success got to their head, IMHO. Plus they have no proper batsman, most of the matches won were because of other menows could not play spin well. This some how is not working for them anymore.

A boat is safe in the harbor. But this is not the purpose of a boat." ~ Paulo Coelho

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lonex View Post
    They are going home fore sure. After today's loss i think they have no chance of proceeding to next round. Success got to their head, IMHO. Plus they have no proper batsman, most of the matches won were because of other menows could not play spin well. This some how is not working for them anymore.
    Good comment.
    Now it looks like other minnows have worked their spinners out, and Afghanistan is looking toothless now, 3 consecutive defeats.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For everyone that was complaining that the world cup should be automatically extended to teams like Afghanistan, here is why it shouldn't. If it gets extended to Afghanistan then you'll have to extend it to Hong Kong, Scotland, UAE etc along with the more deserving Zimbabwe, West Indies and Ireland. I do not want to watch a world cup with 16 teams where 10 teams are there to make up the numbers.

Playing in the world cup is a privilege that should be earned and no one should be entitled to a spot. Two times world champions have to qualify with the likes of Afghanistan, Ireland and Zimbabwe. They're not complaining instead they are getting on with it and will probably be at the world cup.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Very sad with Afghanistan team’s performance. They have played poor cricket in the whole tournament so far and I am not surprised they are almost out of the tournament.

They have played 7 bowlers and 5 batsmen and those 5 batsmen are not worthy of being called batsmen! The allrounders and bowlers have batted better in all matches then the proper batsmen.

Afghanistan cricket will suffer if they keep playing relatives of selectors and management over deserving players. In this tournament that is what hurt them.

I hope after this we see a different team but I doubt they will learn and change.

Good luck to the teams who will be playing the worldcup and am happy at least I will have the Pakistan team to support and watch.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFG_Brit View Post
    Very sad with Afghanistan team’s performance. They have played poor cricket in the whole tournament so far and I am not surprised they are almost out of the tournament.

They have played 7 bowlers and 5 batsmen and those 5 batsmen are not worthy of being called batsmen! The allrounders and bowlers have batted better in all matches then the proper batsmen.

Afghanistan cricket will suffer if they keep playing relatives of selectors and management over deserving players. In this tournament that is what hurt them.

I hope after this we see a different team but I doubt they will learn and change.

Good luck to the teams who will be playing the worldcup and am happy at least I will have the Pakistan team to support and watch.
    Doesnt change the fact that they have tremendous potential and a lot of fight.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might be a blessing in disguise for Afghanistan. Time to throw the useless players out of the team and give younger players a chance in the team. Many of the players get selected because of family connections.

Ex Shahid Afridi fan.

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFG_Brit View Post

If it wasnt for AFG CEO, things might have been different. PCB was even ready to send their team to Kabul, it might have been great for few bilateral series for both countries to uncover potential talents. I dont understand why he had to bring politics in game of cricket, espcially when they are growing, and need all the support available.

They should have remained apolitical and could have used service of BCCI and PCB. Anyways, I have no intrest left in their cricket after that statement. I used by very avid supporter of them.

A boat is safe in the harbor. But this is not the purpose of a boat." ~ Paulo Coelho

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it wasnt for AFG CEO, things might have been different. PCB was even ready to send their team to Kabul, it might have been great for few bilateral series for both countries to uncover potential talents. I dont understand why he had to bring politics in game of cricket, espcially when they are growing, and need all the support available.

They should have remained apolitical and could have used service of BCCI and PCB. Anyways, I have no intrest left in their cricket after that statement. I used by very avid supporter of them.
    The CEO, Chairman and selectors must be fired after this gigantic failure.

Ex Shahid Afridi fan.

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelandofthebravepeople View Post
    The CEO, Chairman and selectors must be fired after this gigantic failure.
    Seriously, I still remember waking up at nights to watch them play. Dont get me wrong, I still want Afg to come good, and I know they have potential. I also wanted more Afghan players in PSL as it will bring Afghan cricket lovers to stadiums in UAE in Pakistan. The statement really tore my heart as a supporter. The game of cricket should bring peace between countries, not conflicts. Anyways, I wish them good luck.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously, I still remember waking up at nights to watch them play. Dont get me wrong, I still want Afg to come good, and I know they have potential. I also wanted more Afghan players in PSL as it will bring Afghan cricket lovers to stadiums in UAE in Pakistan. The statement really tore my heart as a supporter. The game of cricket should bring peace between countries, not conflicts. Anyways, I wish them good luck.
    Well they can feature in the latter stages of the PSL soon as they won't have any international duty left.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelandofthebravepeople View Post
    This might be a blessing in disguise for Afghanistan. Time to throw the useless players out of the team and give younger players a chance in the team. Many of the players get selected because of family connections.
    They dont become useless overnight

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what did the CEO say?

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakpassfan View Post
    what did the CEO say?
    He just thanked the Indians and Pakistanis for their support. Problem was the Indian part.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Please keep all political stuff off this thread.

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakpassfan View Post
    what did the CEO say?
    Quote Originally Posted by WengerOut View Post
    He just thanked the Indians and Pakistanis for their support. Problem was the Indian part.
    Read the thread

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...-Cricket-Board

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a mafia ruining Afghan cricket by picking their family members and close friends

Their names are, Hasti Gul Abed and Raees Ahmadzai

You can therefore expect the same names to pop up every now and then especially Aftab Alam and Karim Sadiq who are brothers of Hasti Gul the chief selector.

Sharafuddin is a good player but another reason he was selected is because he is Mirwais Ashrafs brother.

Keeping players like Hashmatullah Shahidi out is only going to be detrimental to Afghanistan in the long run.