Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It’s kinda amusing how players like Rashid Khan could skip a big series for his national team against Pakistan just for the IPL but the same players can’t dare to miss a tour in Ireland for the PSL😬

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve done enough for Afghanistan over the years, the Taliban aren’t bothered about cricket so that will be fine, they can fend for themselves in my opinion!

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    Kerala
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM1989 View Post
    Pakistani govt should offer Pakistani citizenship to Zazai, Rashid and Nabi and bring them into the pakistani squad. They are definitely better than some of the current lot in the Pakistani squad.
    Lol at Nabi, He's already old, by the time he's available to play for Pak he'll in 40s..

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is fear in their eyes, voice and messages: Naveen-ul-Haq on Afghan cricketers' misery in Taliban rule

Afghanistan cricketer Naveen-ul-Haq said the cricketers back home have fear in their eyes, voice, and messages since the Taliban took over the country.

Afghanistan cricketer Naveen-ul-Haq recently spoke about the condition back home under the Taliban ruleTaliban recently took over Afghanistan ousting the last governmentNaveen-ul-Haq said Afghanistan cricketers have fear in their eyes and their messages

Despite assurance from the Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) that the Taliban won't interfere in matters related to cricket in the country, cricketers back in Afghanistan are uncertain of their future. Taliban recently took over Afghanistan and ousted the previous government to take control of the country. Ever since the takeover, chaos has engulfed the country as people have been trying to flee in huge numbers.

Recently, Afghanistan pacer Naveen-ul-Haq spoke about the condition of his fellow cricketers back in the country and said there is fear in their minds. Haq said people back in Afghanistan love cricket and it is the only thing that keeps them happy together. However, the future of the sport is in jeopardy under Taliban rule.

“The fear is there in their eyes, in their voices, even in their messages. The Taliban have said (they) won’t be troubling any sportsman, but nobody knows... If you find positive news, if you see people happy together, it’s only cricket... that brings it to the country. It’s that important to Afghanistan. It’s more than a game for Afghanistan’s people," Haq said in a BBC radio interview.

Haq spoke from West Indies, where he is currently gearing up for the next edition of the Caribbean Premier League. The Afghanistan Cricket Board has expressed confidence in going ahead with the upcoming series against Pakistan which will be played in Sri Lanka and is also preparing for the T20 World Cup later this year.

However, for Haq, the situation back home has taken a toll on his game and has made it difficult for him to completely focus only on cricket. The fast bowler, who will be playing for Guyana Amazon Warriors in the CPL, said he can't say if he will be completely focused on just cricket.

“You forget about it for a minute or two to focus on cricket but it jumps into your mind again. I can’t say that I will be fully focused on playing only cricket because you can’t when you see your country like that," Haq said.

Meanwhile, Afghanistan's upcoming limited-overs series against Pakistan will be played in Sri Lanka owing to security reasons.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...an-rule/802528

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    A cricket fairy tale is in danger of becoming a nightmare after the Taliban's sudden takeover of Afghanistan prompted a plea from a former top official for the sport's governing body to not "abandon" them.

The return of the hardline Islamists has created panic over the future of the country's most popular sport with cricket in Afghanistan having been initially built in the 1990s by players returning home from refugee camps in Pakistan.

Afghanistan gained Affiliate membership of the International Cricket Council (ICC) in 2001 just a year after the ban on the sport was lifted by the Taliban. Since then, Afghanistan rose up the ranks to be granted exclusive Full Member status and became a fan favorite worldwide due to their slew of effervescent players who offered hope and inspiration for the strife-torn nation.

These pioneers became much-loved and helped shake up the staid sport of cricket. Shapoor Zadran, the one with the long, unkempt hair who has a ludicrous run-up and Hamid Hassan – celebrator of wickets with cartwheels – became notable cult figures.

The team helped transform Afghanistan's image globally. They instilled pride and helped shed hackneyed stereotypes, which were always so unfair and hurtful for Aghans.

"I remember before when I travelled the world and introduced myself as an Afghan, people would be reluctant to interact with me," former Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) chief executive Shafiq Stanikzai told me during a phone interview.

"But we gained momentum and respect through cricket...we are now proud to be from Afghanistan. We have Rashid Khan, Mohammad Nabi...role models on the global stage. We have talent.

"My biggest worry is that we lose our identity."

I once spent some time with the Afghanistan team in Perth ahead of the 2015 World Cup, just months before they stole the show with a breakout performance that warmed the hearts of cricket fans.

Back then they were still slurred with the derogatory 'minnows' moniker but their players - while always humble and respectful - had an innate belief that it was their destiny to become a "great cricket nation", as veteran all-rounder Samiullah Shenwari told me at the time.

Their determination manifested from collective hardships growing up. Shenwari told me of how he was too young to remember his family’s effort fleeing Afghanistan to seek safety in neighboring Pakistan during the final stages of the Soviet Union's occupation.

“We were from Jalalabad but we had to move to Peshawar for safety because of the war,” Shenwari told me.

“My mom always reminded me of the obstacles we faced. She told me we had to walk to cross the border because there was no car or any other access.

“We had to cross the mountains to the Pakistani side. It took weeks. The dedication from my family is something that will always be part of me.”

Like many Afghan cricketers, Shenwari’s passion for cricket started at a refugee camp in Peshawar where he played with a taped tennis ball and did not use a hard cricket ball until aged 15.

These incredible back stories have instilled genuine heart into cricket, which is a sport too often smeared by corruption, elitism and dubious motivations from its power nations.

But all that goodwill over two decades of tireless development into Afghanistan cricket could be eroded with the Taliban back in control. The board has changed, international fixtures postponed and general anxiety has consumed the cricket community.

Stanikzai, who was involved in the ACB for 18 years including five as its top boss, however said the Taliban had dealt cordially with Afghanistan cricket previously.

"My experience with the Taliban is that they were supportive," he said "They used to send us warm messages - they wished us well when I was team manager for our first ODIs.

"Cricket started in their reign and I think they will be supportive of cricket."

Women's cricket, however, is in a perilous state despite the Taliban promising Afghan women more freedom even though many aren't buying that vow. It does not bode well for women's cricket, which in contrast to the men's meteoric rise, has always been much slower to develop amid conservative terrain.

"There was slow progression on the board in my time," Stanikzai said. "Afghan society was not ready to accept women's cricket. We had to teach society that they have to accept women's cricket. That women can get out of the home and play cricket.

"A few provinces started playing women's cricket."

It led to 25 contracted female players but fears persist that women won't be allowed to play cricket under the new regime.

If that ensues then Afghanistan would violate its ICC membership, where the establishment and development of women's cricket is a key staple.

The ICC is monitoring the situation but uncertainty persists fuelling fears of a worse-case scenario of cricket's biggest success story spiralling into oblivion if membership is revoked.

In a rallying cry, Stanikzai believes cricket in Afghanistan will always be embedded in its culture but hopes the sport's gatekeepers don't turn their backs.

"Cricket will never die in Afghanistan," he said. "It's our identity and in our blood. We don't want to get back to the dark ages. I remain hopeful that the ICC will remain committed and not abandon Afghanistan.

"Without Afghanistan, cricket would not be the same. It is the charm of cricket, the darling of cricket.

"That magical story should continue."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tristan...h=f1119a874aee

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    From being an associate member to becoming one of the Test-playing nations — cricket, surely, has come a long way in war-torn Afghanistan. Over the years, the country witnessed trillions of dollars being spent on various development and military projects; however, the biggest success story of Afghanistan has been cricket — which certainly has changed the image of the country in the international arena and it is now the new identity of Afghanistan.

It has been a meteoric rise for the national team, which has gone on to earn the Test status and featured in World Cups, and its performances have not only boosted the confidence of the Afghan population, the cricketers have given the nation an opportunity to dream. While the likes of Rashid Khan and Mohammad Nabi have emerged as superstars, several cricket franchises across the world have tapped young, rookie talents from Afghanistan and have shaped them into match-winners. And all of this has happened in just two decades.

Now, with the Islamic Emirates of Taliban back at the helm, there are apprehensions, fear among the cricketing world and obviously the big question — what awaits Afghanistan cricket under Taliban rule?

Hikmat Hassan, who is the head of media of Afghanistan Cricket Board, is optimistic that cricket will not suffer under the new regime. “Taliban has never had a problem with cricket in the past, they have always interacted well with the cricketers,” Hassan told Sportstar.

“We had a productive meeting with the cultural and sports commission of the Islamic Emirates and they assured us that they are in favour of cricket and will support Afghanistan Cricket Board to follow its plans for the development of the game in the country,” Hassan said.

Soon after the Taliban regained power, there was a change in regime at the ACB, too, with Azizullah Fazli returning as the president, replacing Farhan Yousafzai. Over the last few weeks, several Taliban leaders have interacted with a few national cricketers and have even visited the Board headquarters in Kabul indicating that the game would not hit a roadblock, at least for now.

“We have good relations with the International Cricket Council and are looking forward to participating in the upcoming T20I World Cup and arrange more bilateral series other than the current FTP fixtures as well,” Hassan added.

However, there have been disruptions. With the Kabul airport out of bounds, the Afghanistan team could not travel to Sri Lanka for its limited-overs series against Pakistan and there was postponement. The team has not played an international fixture since March-April this year, and the road ahead, too, does not appear to be too bright. But then, the players are not losing hope. In fact, they have gradually started training in Kabul, keeping the T20 World Cup in mind.

Afghanistan’s newly appointed ODI and Test captain, Hashmatullah Shahidi, is optimistic about the future of cricket under Taliban rule, post his meeting with Anas Haqqani, a top leader in the Islamic Emirates of Taliban.

“From the lower to the top leadership of Taliban, they love cricket and are in the favour of this sport and there will be no problem for cricket under the Taliban rule,” Shahidi told Sportstar.

According to him, the Taliban in-charge for Kabul, Haqqani, has played cricket himself and has given a positive vibe for the continuation of the game.

Will the stars continue?

However, there are speculations on whether Nabi and Rashid — the two superstars of Afghanistan cricket — will continue with the national side in the current scenario. While they remain tight-lipped, several sources indicate that they will continue being the mainstays of the team and will be available for future assignments.

A true patriot, Rashid recently was seen sporting Afghanistan’s national flag on both his cheeks during the eliminator of The Hundred, and urged the rulers not to change the national flag.

The duo is expected to play the Indian Premier League and then join the national side for the T20 World Cup.

Apart from Rashid, Nabi, Naveen-ul Haq and Mujeeb Zadran — who are currently featuring in franchise leagues — most top players are living in Afghanistan and are training in private academies in Nangarhar, Kabul and Khost.

In fact, quite a few players — including national cricketers Munir Kakar and Dastagir Shpageeza — are also featuring in a three-match one-day series between Kandahar and Helmand at the Kandahar Stadium and the players are excited to be back in action.

A few weeks ago, the national team had three stages of national camps in Kabul, under the watchful eyes of head coach Lance Kluesner. The camp got over just before the Eid holidays, and now, most of the senior team players are training under local assistant coaches — Nawroz Mangal, Javid Noori, Rozi Khan Zurmati and Sayed Rahman.

Recently, 350 professional cricketers were up for the drafts at the country’s premier T20 tournament, the Shpageeza Cricket League, and it was on that day that several blasts rocked the capital city of Kabul, which took the lives of over 100 Afghans.

With the tournament set to begin in September, the local players have already started individual training at various centres and will soon assemble in Kabul to start preparing for the Shpageeza League — which will see participation of eight teams this time.

Players and coaches have told this publication that so far, there have been no obstacles for them to reach the ground and train. One, however, can’t predict what lies ahead.

Direct link

Senior cricket journalist and TV presenter Faridullah Mohammadi, however, is linking the future of Afghanistan cricket with the international recognition and legitimacy of the Islamic Emirates.“The future of Afghanistan cricket depends on the government, whether they will be recognised by the international community or not,” Mohammadi said. The senior journalist believes that Afghanistan’s full membership with the ICC is also conditional on the promotion of cricket for women in the country, and if the Islamic Emirates imposes a ban on women’s cricket and continues its political and military interference in the Afghanistan Cricket Board, it could lead to some actions from the world body.

And that, surely, could jeopardise Afghanistan’s 20-years of achievements in the sport and the infrastructure could be hit badly as India has been one of the leading funding countries in Afghanistan cricket infrastructure.

Now, considering the Islamic Emirates’ past relations with India, there are apprehensions on that front, too.

While the ICC says it is monitoring the situation and is in touch with the Afghanistan Cricket Board, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) maintains that it will continue sharing a professional relationship with the Afghan board. However, it is certain that the dynamics would change as the political situation sways.

Over the last few years, the BCCI has backed Afghanistan Board in every possible way — be it allotting home grounds in Greater Noida, Dehradun or Lucknow or agreeing to play the first Test against Afghanistan in Bengaluru in 2018. “The Board has taken every possible way to help Afghanistan’s cricket, and one would hope that similar camaraderie would continue in the future as well. However, the directives and the political situation could have an impact,” a former Board official, who played a pivotal role in improving the equations between the two boards, said.

Hikmat Hassan, the head of media of Afghanistan Cricket Board, is optimistic that cricket will not suffer under the new regime. “Taliban has never had a problem with cricket in the past, they have always interacted well with the cricketers. We had a productive meeting with the cultural and sports commission of the Islamic Emirates and they assured us that they are in favour of cricket and will support Afghanistan Cricket Board to follow its plans for the development of the game in the country,” Hassan says. - AFP

Is there hope?

A few years ago, the BCCI had stated that every overseas side touring India will play a warm-up side game against Afghanistan’s youth side. Even though that did not materialise, the players have benefited immensely from India. While several players have been roped in by the IPL franchises in various roles, the teams have repeatedly travelled to different parts of India for pre-season training and rehabilitation programmes. And coming close to the Indian cricketers and superstars have given the youngsters hope to make things count.

Farhad Momand, one of the emerging fast bowlers in Afghanistan, has already performed consistently in the domestic tournaments. Last year, he featured in the Shpageeza League for Band e Amir Dragons under the captaincy of Asghar Afghan. The former captain was impressed with Momand’s performance and promised to include him in the setup of national team camps as well in Afghanistan A tours.

“I will continue training as usual with even more energy. Cricket was established under the Taliban in Afghanistan in the 1990s and they have already declared their support to cricket and sports in Afghanistan and I feel my future is secured here,” Momand said, hoping that the political situation will not affect the game much.

Future tense for women’s cricket

What’s in store for women’s cricket: The founder of the Afghanistan national women’s team, Diana Barakzai. Many in the cricketing circles believe that if women’s cricket is not promoted, it could have a negative impact on the country’s cricket prospects. And after achieving so much, that could be a huge blow. - REUTERS

While there is hope in the cricketing community that there won’t be any disruptions in the development of the game, the same cannot be said about women’s cricket. According to Afghanistan women’s national cricket team’s first-ever captain and coach Diana Barakzai, the country has over 3,700 female cricketers. Barakzai created and captained Afghanistan women’s cricket in 2009 but the Afghanistan Cricket Board officially established women’s cricket in 2010. Barakzai resigned in 2014 accusing the ACB of not supporting the promotion of women’s cricket.

Although the women’s cricket team had more support from the international donors instead of the ACB, it never played an international match. However, in 2012, it participated in a local six-team tournament in Tajikistan and eventually won the tournament. There was gradual growth ever since, with several women taking up the sport seriously. The ACB recently awarded central contracts to 25 female cricketers and the team was scheduled to visit a Muslim country, under the coaching of a foreign women’s international.

However, that did not happen, and given the current scenario, the stakeholders, too, are tight-lipped. Many in the cricketing circles believe that if women’s cricket is not promoted, it could have a negative impact on the country’s cricket prospects. And after achieving so much, that could be a huge blow.

The story of rise and fall

In 1995, it was Allah Dad Noori — the president and a player himself — who assembled Afghanistan’s first national team post the initial trial, which then went to play in Pakistan’s Grade-2 domestic competition. In 2001, Afghanistan became an ICC member, and eventually joined the Asian Cricket Council as a member in 2003.

Afghanistan’s first ever international win registered against Bahrain in 2004 followed by its triumph in the ACC T20 championship in 2007, which was its first major title, was a big boost for the game in the country. And there was no looking back since. Afghanistan won Division five in Jersey, Division four in Tanzania, both in 2008, and was ultimately awarded with the ODI status during the Division one tournament in South Africa before obtaining associate membership.

On June 2, 2009, former Afghan President Hamid Karzai changed the status of Afghanistan cricket with a decree from federation to Afghanistan Cricket Board. This was to ensure that it was on a par with prevalent practices in other countries, which led Afghanistan cricket to adopt good governance and a notable increase in its budget both from the government, from the ICC and ACC. And the results were showing.

Afghanistan registered the first-ever ODI win against Scotland in 2009 in South Africa and then went on to win the ICC T20I global qualifier, unbeaten, to book its place in the first-ever mega event — the 2010 T20I World Cup in the Caribbean.

With this phenomenal rise of the Afghanistan national team, cricket propelled and flourished dramatically with the infrastructures coming up at the Kabul International Stadium along with cricket grounds in Nangarhar, Khost, Kandahar, Kunar and Kunduz provinces, which eased the way for the junior level cricket to achieve reputable positions in the international cricket tournaments around the globe.

Several high-profile coaches — including Kabir Khan, Rashid Latif, Peter Anderson, Andy Moles, Inzamam-ul Haq, Lalchand Rajput, Phil Simmons and Lance Klusener — have coached the Afghanistan national cricket team, and their presence has helped the players grow. Recently, the ACB has also roped in Shaun Tait as the bowling coach, while Avishka Gunawardane has joined as the batting coach.

Over the last few years, the ACB has also been able to spread the game across regions and tap several young talents. Even though there have been claims of corruption, mismanagement, time and again repeated changes in the leadership, the game has never really suffered. In addition, even now, after the Taliban takeover, the facilities in the provinces are slowly opening up for the game to resume.

There are uncertainties, desperation and fear of survival, but for a country which has lived through the war for decades, cricket remains a source of inspiration — and a platform to dream.

People, who follow Afghanistan cricket closely, admit that there is something to look forward to, even though the going could get tougher with the lack of corporate support and sponsorship.

There are not too many industrial groups or corporate backers in the country to help the game financially, so a lot will depend on the current government, and how it maintains international relations.

We are walking on thin ice, with prayers and hope.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/magaz...le36195513.ece

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The Taliban has given Afghanistan’s participation in the upcoming Test match against Australia the green light, but grave concerns remain for the nation’s female cricketers.

The Afghanistan men’s side is scheduled to play a Test match against Australia at Hobart’s Blundstone Arena this summer, commencing on Saturday, September 27.

The historic fixture was originally slated for December 2020, but was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Afghanistan has never faced Australia in the five-day format – the national side has only played six Test matches since the ICC awarded it full member status in 2017.

Steve Smith, Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc and David Warner could be unavailable for the one-off Test due to a scheduling conflict with the Men’s T20 World Cup, which commences next month.

Watch India‘s Tour of England Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

As first reported by SBS News, the Taliban will permit previously organised international matches to continue without interruption.

“In the future, we want good relations with all countries,” Ahmadullah Wasiq, deputy head of the Taliban’s cultural commission, told SBS Pashto on Tuesday.

“When good relations are established, Afghan players can go (to Australia) and they can come here.”

Wasiq also said it was important those taking part “dress according to (Islamic law)”, but it remains “unknown” which flag and national anthem the cricketers would compete under.

Although the men’s side has been granted permission to travel overseas, Afghanistan’s 25 contracted female cricketers are still trapped in the country.

According to The Age, the Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) will continue paying its 25 contracted players, but uncertainty surrounds the wider future of the women’s program, which was restarted in 2020 as part of a commitment to the ICC.

ACB chief executive Hamid Shinwari believes the Taliban will not allow female athletes to compete international or domestically.

“I think it will be stopped, that is my assumption,” he told the BBC.

“I really don’t know what will be the position in the future.

“We have kept the salaries and they are on our payroll. If the government decides that we don’t go with the national women’s team, we will have to stop.”

Should the women’s program be discontinued, the ICC’s board would be forced into considering whether to withdraw Afghanistan’s status as a full member.

Former Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi recently told reporters, “Taliban have come with a very positive mind. They‘re allowing ladies to work. And I believe Taliban like cricket a lot.”

As reported by The Australian, Afghanistan’s female soccer players were advised to burn any photographs, trophies or memorabilia after receiving death threats as the Taliban took over.

Afghanistan recently abandoned a white-ball series against Pakistan due to logistic difficulties following the evacuation of America and its allies.

A Cricket Australia spokesperson told SBS Pashto, “Cricket Australia’s planning for the historic first Test match between Australia and Afghanistan in Hobart is well underway.

“There is goodwill between CA and the Afghanistan Cricket Board to make the match happen, which immediately follows the ICC T20 World Cup in the UAE in which the Afghanistan team is due to play.

“CA will continue to work with the Australian and Tasmanian governments ahead of the Afghanistan team’s arrival planned for later this year.”

On Thursday, the Brisbane Heat announced it had signed Afghan spinner Mujeeb Ur Rahmeen for the upcoming Big Bash League. However, the Adelaide Strikers are yet to confirm the signing of fan favourite Rashid Khan.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/c...710ec7c35b36bf

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Dark clouds have been looming on Afghanistan cricket ever since the Taliban took over the reins of the country. A Taliban spokesperson, speaking on the cricketing matters of the country, gave the upcoming Test encounter with Australia the nod while also giving the proposed India series the green flag.

Hamid Shinwari, the chief executive officer of the Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB), confirmed to Indian Express that there is a good possibility of the team visiting India for a Test series early next year.

“The Taliban government has been supporting cricket and all our cricket will be held as per schedule. A spokesperson of the Taliban Cultural Commission communicated to us that the Taliban will be supporting the Test match against Australia followed by a Test series against India in the first quarter of 2022,” Shinwari said.

Afghanistan were also set to take on Pakistan in a bilateral series in the coming weeks before the T20 World Cup 2021 in October-November. However, the Pakistan assignment was suspended in the wake of the Taliban situation. Later, the Afghans are scheduled to play Australia at Hobart from November 27 and December 1.

Cricket, as well as other sporting activities in Afghanistan, have been under a big question mark since the Taliban takeover. Though it has been reported that the Taliban is in favour of men's cricket being continued in the country. Not much clarity is available over women's cricket.

The Afghanistan national men's cricket team came into being after the Taliban rule ended in the country in 2001. In 2020, the Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) gave central contracts to 25 women cricketers but as of now, it isn't clear whether women's cricket will be allowed in the country or not.

“They (Taliban) are supporting cricket and we have got the green signal from them. It’s a clear message to the youth that they will support sports. That is the best sign,” Shinwari said.

When asked about the future of women’s cricket, Shinwari said: “We don’t know at the moment. The government will decide on it.”

Shinwari also shed light on the forthcoming cricketing assignments of the national team.

“We are working for a T20 tri-series, which will feature Afghanistan, West Indies and Sri Lanka. Most probably, it will be held in UAE before the T20 World Cup. We will have a camp, most probably in Qatar, for our national team before the tri-series,” he said.

As far as the Taliban situation is concerned, Shinwar is confident that sports in the country will not be hampered, especially cricket.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...-report/806746

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Hobart's Hazara community will help determine whether the Australian city hosts a men's cricket test between Australia and Afghanistan.

The first-ever test involving the two nations, originally slated for 2020 but delayed because of the Covid-19 pandemic, is scheduled to start on November 27.

The match looms as a key Ashes tune-up for Tim Paine's side but also a significant fixture for the Tasmanian skipper and indeed Cricket Tasmania, which hasn't hosted a test since 2016.

But the question as to whether it should remains unanswered in the minds of many.

"I have very real concerns as to whether or not the state should hold that match without some very clear commitments being made around it, in terms of the future of women's sport," Gutwein said.

"What I intend to do, in terms of that match going ahead, is reach out to the Hazara community later this week and have a chat with the local communities here to get a sense as to their view.

"We'll be seeking to engage with the Australian Cricket Board [Cricket Australia].

Ajaz Patel leads the way as the Black Caps fight back in their T20 series against Bangladesh with victory in game three.
    The Taliban has vowed to be more moderate and inclusive since reclaiming power but human rights organisation Amnesty International says there was a massacre of nine Hazara men in July.

Cricket Australia (CA) noted on Monday it is in regular dialogue with the International Cricket Council (ICC) and the federal government about the tour.

"Clearly, some of the issues arising are significant global matters which transcend the game of cricket," a CA spokesperson said.

"Cricket Australia considers itself a leader in driving the evolution and promotion of the women's game globally.

"Our vision for cricket is that it is a sport for all and we continue to support the game unequivocally for women and men at every level of the game."

The ICC, which has the power to revoke member status, is following the state of Afghanistan's women's program closely.

Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) chief executive Hamid Shinwari recently insisted the tour of Australia will proceed.

Shinwari also told ESPNcricinfo that the ACB and CA are in talks regarding a Twenty20 tri-series on neutral turf in October, which would serve as match practice for the World Cup.

This summer's domestic and international schedule in Australia remains clouded by Covid-19 and border closures, with further changes on the cards after the women's Australia-India series was shifted to Queensland.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...liban-takeover

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    (Reuters) - Afghanistan’s professional T20 cricket tournament, which was due to start on Friday, has been postponed, an official from the country’s cricket board (ACB) told Reuters.

The Shpageeza Cricket League was due to feature eight franchises – up from 2020’s six – including holders The Kabul Eagles.

Top Afghani players, including world number three T20 bowler, leg-spinner Rashid Khan, were set to play in the 15-day league, which was expected to be contested across the country.

However, after the Taliban seized control of Afghanistan on Aug. 15, the future of many sporting events in the country remains uncertain.

First staged in 2013, the Afghan Cricket Board (ACB) had said this year’s edition of the Shpageeza would take place, even after the Taliban swept to power.

But on Monday an ACB spokesperson said that it would not be going ahead.

“Unfortunately the Shpageeza Cricket League has been postponed,” the spokesperson said. “We’d been hoping that it could be staged, but it isn’t viable at the moment.

“The current financial situation in the country makes it impossible for such an event to go ahead, so the eight franchises and the Afghan Cricket Board agreed that it should be postponed to a later date.

“We are still hoping to stage it at some point in the future if the financial issues in Afghanistan are resolved.”

Granted test status in 2017, Afghanistan are due to play at this year’s T20 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates and Oman, which begins in October.

The ACB was hoping the Shpageeza tournament would also double as a warm-up for their players for that event.

Last month, the ACB cancelled a three-match ODI series in Pakistan, citing the situation in Afghanistan, the difficulty in travelling and player welfare.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taliban ban women's sport amid fears that cricketers will expose their faces

Move may result in men's cricket team losing Test status

Women will not be allowed to play cricket or any other sport in Afghanistan, the Taliban has confirmed.

The deputy head of the Taliban's cultural commission, Ahmadullah Wasiq, claimed that cricket is not "necessary" for women and that playing sport would risk "exposing" their face and bodies, in an interview with Australian broadcaster SBS News.

"I don't think women will be allowed to play cricket because it is not necessary that women should play cricket," Mr Wasiq said.

"In cricket, they might face a situation where their face and body will not be covered. Islam does not allow women to be seen like this.

"It is the media era, and there will be photos and videos, and then people watch it. Islam and the Islamic Emirate do not allow women to play cricket or play the kind of sports where they get exposed."

Twenty-five female cricketers were awarded contracts by Afghanistan's Cricket Board in November last year and it is thought the board has continued to pay the players, though the BBC reported last week that members of the team are in hiding in Kabul due to safety concerns.

The International Cricket Council requires all 12 of its full members to have a national women's team. Only full members of the ICC are permitted to play Test matches. Currently the Afghanistan men's team are due to compete at the T20 World Cup next month, and also have a Test in Hobart against Australia in November.

Asked about the potential for the ICC to call off the Test match in Australia, Mr Wasiq said the Taliban would not compromise on its position to ban women from taking part in sport.

"Even for this, if we face challenges and problems, we have fought for our religion so that Islam is to be followed. We will not cross Islamic values even if it carries opposite reactions. We will not leave our Islamic rules," he said.

"In cricket and other sports, women will not get an Islamic dress code. It is obvious that they will get exposed and will not follow the dress code, and Islam does not allow that."

Dan Tehan, Australia's trade minister, described the decision by the Taliban to ban female athletes from playing sports as "incredibly, incredibly disappointing".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/20...icketers-will/

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post

Women will not be allowed to play cricket or any other sport in Afghanistan, the Taliban has confirmed.

The deputy head of the Taliban's cultural commission, Ahmadullah Wasiq, claimed that cricket is not "necessary" for women and that playing sport would risk "exposing" their face and bodies, in an interview with Australian broadcaster SBS News.

"I don't think women will be allowed to play cricket because it is not necessary that women should play cricket," Mr Wasiq said.

"In cricket, they might face a situation where their face and body will not be covered. Islam does not allow women to be seen like this.

"It is the media era, and there will be photos and videos, and then people watch it. Islam and the Islamic Emirate do not allow women to play cricket or play the kind of sports where they get exposed."

Twenty-five female cricketers were awarded contracts by Afghanistan's Cricket Board in November last year and it is thought the board has continued to pay the players, though the BBC reported last week that members of the team are in hiding in Kabul due to safety concerns.

The International Cricket Council requires all 12 of its full members to have a national women's team. Only full members of the ICC are permitted to play Test matches. Currently the Afghanistan men's team are due to compete at the T20 World Cup next month, and also have a Test in Hobart against Australia in November.

Asked about the potential for the ICC to call off the Test match in Australia, Mr Wasiq said the Taliban would not compromise on its position to ban women from taking part in sport.

"Even for this, if we face challenges and problems, we have fought for our religion so that Islam is to be followed. We will not cross Islamic values even if it carries opposite reactions. We will not leave our Islamic rules," he said.

"In cricket and other sports, women will not get an Islamic dress code. It is obvious that they will get exposed and will not follow the dress code, and Islam does not allow that."

Dan Tehan, Australia's trade minister, described the decision by the Taliban to ban female athletes from playing sports as "incredibly, incredibly disappointing".

Where are all the supports of taliban who said it was for time being?

What was his name? Colorblind or something?

The first and only PM of Pakistan to lose the peoples confidence = Imran Khan

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post

Look at these men deciding what is necessary and what is not for women. Disgusting!

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...08-p58q19.html

Senior Govt minister here in Oz calls for the Afghan test to be cancelled in protest of the Taliban. regime.

A different more junior minister, "Mr Colbeck, the Minister for Sport, on Wednesday said he urged the ICC to “take a stand against this appalling ruling” by the Taliban." (regarding the abolition of womens sport under Taliban)
    Typical sanctimonious, white-savior B.S.

How about you pay the same attention to the appalling war crimes your soldiers committed in Afghanistan, Mr. Colbeck? Which they also happened to shoot with their head cams.

The Taliban came to power through the consent of Australia's Godfather: the US. None of this stone age thinking is surprising. But what have the Afghan cricketers, who are already starved for cricket done to deserve this?

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Typical sanctimonious, white-savior B.S.

How about you pay the same attention to the appalling war crimes your soldiers committed in Afghanistan, Mr. Colbeck? Which they also happened to shoot with their head cams.

The Taliban came to power through the consent of Australia's Godfather: the US. None of this stone age thinking is surprising. But what have the Afghan cricketers, who are already starved for cricket done to deserve this?
    I don't remember placing a value judgement in the post, but apparently you've felt one.

Worth pointing out the Australian soldiers who committed war crimes are facing trial and sanction- as is their entire unit. Does the accountability make you happy? It seems appropriate.

I don't think they deserve it- I'm just pointing out the inevitable reactions of "white saviour" political and representative bodies, who represent constituencies who are 50% women.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    I don't remember placing a value judgement in the post, but apparently you've felt one.

Worth pointing out the Australian soldiers who committed war crimes are facing trial and sanction- as is their entire unit. Does the accountability make you happy? It seems appropriate.

I don't think they deserve it- I'm just pointing out the inevitable reactions of "white saviour" political and representative bodies, who represent constituencies who are 50% women.
    Stop making this about yourself. The comment wasn't even directed at you.

I just think its sanctimonious for the Australian sports minister to conveniently pick and choose which things to take a moral stand on. And we all know this isn't about Afghan girls playing cricket. Its classic posturing to portray oneself as morally superior, that has become far too common in Western countries. Whether that's to appeal to constituencies or for any other reason, it smacks of hypocrisy and superficiality.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Stop making this about yourself. The comment wasn't even directed at you.

I just think its sanctimonious for the Australian sports minister to conveniently pick and choose which things to take a moral stand on. And we all know this isn't about Afghan girls playing cricket. Its classic posturing to portray oneself as morally superior, that has become far too common in Western countries. Whether that's to appeal to constituencies or for any other reason, it smacks of hypocrisy and superficiality.
    Each of us has to pick and choose which to take a stand on. Yes the Taliban might be an easy or convenient target. But the issues they are highlighting are absolutely of concern- genuine concern- to their constituents.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Do not isolate us from international cricket: Afghanistan Cricket Board CEO to Cricket Australia

Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) CEO Hamid Shinwari on Friday asked Cricket Australia (CA) to reconsider its decision not to host its men's team for a Test in November, saying such a move will only isolate the strife-torn country.

Soon after forming an interim government, the Taliban banned women from playing cricket or any others sports, casting doubts over Afghanistan men's team Test status.

As per ICC rules, all Test playing nations must have a women's team as well.

"We ask Cricket Australia and the whole cricketing world to keep the door open for us, walk with us, do not isolate us and avoid penalising us for our cultural and religious environment," Mr. Shinwari said.- PTI

https://www.thehindu.com/news/intern...le36394303.ece

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is mandatory for all full member nations to field a women's team. Afghans may have had a women's team, I don't know, but they haven't played an intl game in ages. I don't know if the ICC didn't consider these things when granting test status to Afghanistan.

Afghanistan are set to lose their test status if they field only men's team, that is for sure.

They will become a top associate side again.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They haven't been fielding a women's team anyways, why is the world waking up now? Can anyone give any reference of any International match Afghan women have played since Afghanistan got full membership?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_ahm View Post
    They haven't been fielding a women's team anyways, why is the world waking up now? Can anyone give any reference of any International match Afghan women have played since Afghanistan got full membership?
    They did not outright ban it either under the previous regime. So the medieval taliban can suck it.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    They did not outright ban it either under the previous regime. So the medieval taliban can suck it.
    I agree, but my point is why did the ICC give Afghanistan full member status in any case? You can't simply say women can play cricket and yet don't play any women cricket whatsoever. That's ridiculous.

What's the big deal now? ACC can still say we are not banning women's cricket, we have nothing to do with what taliban say and continue with the same stuff of not playing any women's cricket.

Afghanistan should only be an associate nation. They don't fulfill the criteria to be a full member nation. As simple as that.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree, but my point is why did the ICC give Afghanistan full member status in any case? You can't simply say women can play cricket and yet don't play any women cricket whatsoever. That's ridiculous.

What's the big deal now? ACC can still say we are not banning women's cricket, we have nothing to do with what taliban say and continue with the same stuff of not playing any women's cricket.

Afghanistan should only be an associate nation. They don't fulfill the criteria to be a full member nation. As simple as that.
    If telebunnies say we ban women's cricket henceforth and ICC stays quiet, then it telegraphs a message that ICC are cool with barbarians who feel threatened by women showing their ankle. That Afghans have no women's team is ok as long as the authorities work to create conditions where it gradually becomes acceptable. Which is what the previous regime did.

It's absolutely the right response from ICC. Having said that, I will still laugh at CA or ECB not hosting AFG on the pretext of women's rights.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Hamid Shinwari said he was not given any reason for his dismissal, but was told that he would be replaced by Naseebullah Haqqani
    The Taliban have sacked the executive director of Afghanistan’s cricket board, Hamid Shinwari.

Mr. Shinwari posted on his official Facebook page on Monday that he had been fired by Anas Haqqani, the younger brother of the Taliban’s new Interior Minister Sirajuddin Haqqani.

He said he was not given any reason for his dismissal, but was told he would be replaced by Naseebullah Haqqani.

It isn’t clear if the new Afghanistan Cricket Board chief is a relative of Sirajuddin Haqqani, who is sought by the FBI for questioning in connection with several high profile attacks on Kabul during the Taliban’s 20-year war with successive U.S.-backed governments.

The Taliban’s order banning women from sports — including cricket — has caused an international backlash. The Australian Cricket Board last week canceled a match with Afghanistan’s cricket team to protest the banning of women from sports in Afghanistan.

The official Facebook page of the Afghanistan Cricket Board also announced Naseebullah Haqqani as the new executive director.

https://www.thehindu.com/sport/crick...le36580525.ece

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Haqqani's have great relationship with Pakistan. We may yet see Pakistan play home series vs Afghanistan.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Hamid Shinwari said he was not given any reason for his dismissal, but was told that he would be replaced by Naseebullah Haqqani
    The Taliban have sacked the executive director of Afghanistan’s cricket board, Hamid Shinwari.

Mr. Shinwari posted on his official Facebook page on Monday that he had been fired by Anas Haqqani, the younger brother of the Taliban’s new Interior Minister Sirajuddin Haqqani.

He said he was not given any reason for his dismissal, but was told he would be replaced by Naseebullah Haqqani.

It isn’t clear if the new Afghanistan Cricket Board chief is a relative of Sirajuddin Haqqani, who is sought by the FBI for questioning in connection with several high profile attacks on Kabul during the Taliban’s 20-year war with successive U.S.-backed governments.

The Taliban’s order banning women from sports — including cricket — has caused an international backlash. The Australian Cricket Board last week canceled a match with Afghanistan’s cricket team to protest the banning of women from sports in Afghanistan.

The official Facebook page of the Afghanistan Cricket Board also announced Naseebullah Haqqani as the new executive director.

https://www.thehindu.com/sport/crick...le36580525.ece
    How is this not Government interference? Or is the ICC blind? Don't they ask for a fair and transparent process to be followed to be elected for such posts??

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Look at these men deciding what is necessary and what is not for women. Disgusting!
    Are you a woman? Or a man who actually cares for Women's cricket?

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is this not Government interference? Or is the ICC blind? Don't they ask for a fair and transparent process to be followed to be elected for such posts??
    It has been only hours. We should wait for few days to see how ICC reacts.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Taliban Sack CEO Of Afghan Cricket Board

Taliban Sack CEO Of Afghan Cricket Board

The Taliban have sacked the head of Afghanistan's cricket board, replacing him with a member of the feared Haqqani network, responsible for some of the worst attacks in the country's history.

Hamid Shinwari posted on his Facebook page on Monday that he has been removed on the orders of senior Haqqani officials, a branch of the Taliban.

"Anas Haqqani visited the cricket board and told me very clearly that my job as the (chief) executive officer was over," Shinwari wrote on his Facebook page.

Anas Haqqani is a senior Taliban official and the younger brother of Afghanistan's new interior minister Sirajuddin Haqqani.

Shinwari's post, seen by AFP, was later not visible, with the page apparently deactivated.

In the Pashto language post, Shinwari said he had asked for a formal order but did not receive it.

"I was elected to the Cricket Board's executive section after a transparent process, but I did not understand the reason for my dismissal," Shinwari said.

He was later replaced by Naseebullah Haqqani, also known as Naseeb Khan, a close ally of the Haqqani network, said a source at the cricket board who did not want to be named.

https://www.barrons.com/news/taliban...rd-01632229807

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tragic news for Afghan cricket. Don't think the ICC is going to allow a board run by fundamentalist like the Haqqani remain in the international circuit for much longer.

Feel horrible for the Afghan players and the thousands of Afghan youth that looked up to them

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What about the guy who said ‘no cricket with Pakistan’?

Is he still in power?

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cricket is dead in Afghanistan. Once again the western bloc have contributed to the death of cricket in that country.

Who knows, if the Aussies had decided to play them then this guy would have remained in charge?

Taliban realised that there is no point putting moderates in charge when they aren't going to be able to play anyway.

Western countries negotiated a peace deal with these guys, put them in power and now are taking the moral high ground against them....and Pakistan for some reason.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Played very well against us yesterday.

If they can unearth one or two half decent quicks similar to Naveen and a few accumulator's at the top of the order than I can see them consistently competing with top tier teams.

Might even pull of an upset against Nz in a couple of days if they apply themselves

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I really feel we need to stop this over the top celebration / appreciation of a subsidiary of BCCI / Modi govt.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cricket Australia have postponed their one off test against Afghanistan that was scheduled to be played later this month.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt if the Afghan team will go back home.Most of them will seek asylum in western countries.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    I really feel we need to stop this over the top celebration / appreciation of a subsidiary of BCCI / Modi govt.
    100% agreed. It's a freakin one-way love train! All we've received from Afghanistan is hate and contempt.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdurmirr View Post
    Tragic news for Afghan cricket. Don't think the ICC is going to allow a board run by fundamentalist like the Haqqani remain in the international circuit for much longer.

Feel horrible for the Afghan players and the thousands of Afghan youth that looked up to them
    The only way their cricket can survive is if they agree to live as a subsidiary of the BCCI. We're already seeing that in action in this T20 wc. The Afghan players are so desperate for this relationship that they were smiling and joyful after losing to India whereas they were literally in tears and had their captain resign after losing to Pak!

That should tell you where their priorities lie.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Brave face by Afghanistan CB but is a setback

==

Afghanistan Cricket Board - ACB confirms that the scheduled Test match against Cricket Australia for late November in Hobart has been postponed following an agreement between the boards and will played in near future.

Afghanistan Cricket Board acknowledges that Cricket Australia has always provided cooperation & assistance to us which is highly appreciated by ACB and we are hopeful of them to keep supporting us in expanding the game to all parts of the country.

ACB understands the situation of Cricket Australia, and is committed to maintaining & strengthening effective ties with them. ACB believes that postponement of the test gives our players some extra time and the opportunity to work hard and prepare themselves better for the historic match.

ACB CEO Mr. Naseeb Khan said that the decision to postpone the test match is made upon mutual agreement between the two organizations. He added: “Our one-off test against Cricket Australia is postponed as a result of an agreement between the boards. We will discuss and decide how & when to go ahead with the test in our next meeting.”

Mr. Naseeb Khan added that maintaining bilateral relationships with the fellow cricketing boards is essential for the development of cricket in Afghanistan and they are committed to it. “We are committed to obtaining positive ties with CA and are expecting the same attitude from them as well”.

He also added that the ACB is not only looking for good relationships with the CA but are looking forward to maintaining effective ties with all the ICC member countries, which have an important role in the development of the game in Afghanistan.

Afghanistan Cricket Board has always strived hard to keep the game of cricket away from politics, as it has turned down to be the best, fast-growing & most followed game in the country.

Afghanistan players will be playing the BBL this season, and ACB will provide them with any sort of assistance they require in this regard.

Debut
    Oct 2021
    Venue
    Nagpur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brave face by Afghanistan CB but is a setback

==

Afghanistan Cricket Board - ACB confirms that the scheduled Test match against Cricket Australia for late November in Hobart has been postponed following an agreement between the boards and will played in near future.

Afghanistan Cricket Board acknowledges that Cricket Australia has always provided cooperation & assistance to us which is highly appreciated by ACB and we are hopeful of them to keep supporting us in expanding the game to all parts of the country.

ACB understands the situation of Cricket Australia, and is committed to maintaining & strengthening effective ties with them. ACB believes that postponement of the test gives our players some extra time and the opportunity to work hard and prepare themselves better for the historic match.

ACB CEO Mr. Naseeb Khan said that the decision to postpone the test match is made upon mutual agreement between the two organizations. He added: “Our one-off test against Cricket Australia is postponed as a result of an agreement between the boards. We will discuss and decide how & when to go ahead with the test in our next meeting.”

Mr. Naseeb Khan added that maintaining bilateral relationships with the fellow cricketing boards is essential for the development of cricket in Afghanistan and they are committed to it. “We are committed to obtaining positive ties with CA and are expecting the same attitude from them as well”.

He also added that the ACB is not only looking for good relationships with the CA but are looking forward to maintaining effective ties with all the ICC member countries, which have an important role in the development of the game in Afghanistan.

Afghanistan Cricket Board has always strived hard to keep the game of cricket away from politics, as it has turned down to be the best, fast-growing & most followed game in the country.

Afghanistan players will be playing the BBL this season, and ACB will provide them with any sort of assistance they require in this regard.
    Such a sad news..
    I was extremely excited for this match..

Debut
    Sep 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with Afghanistan cricket:

Most of the Afghanistan players are playing with the old flag and with team members and managers which are/were more loyal to the previous government. Most of these players dont live in afghanistan but either india or they will seek asylum somewhere else. the other sport boards aside from maybe Pakistan will not accept new afghanistan players sent by Taliban (if they even send one) so this current batch will play out for the next 3-4 years but what's next. What if Taliban is still in power? We are likely seeing the peak of Afghanistan cricket and we will witness the END of Afghanistan cricket within the next 4-5 maybe 6 years. it is unfortunately but that is likely how it will play out unless the government changes back to a more "democratic" government

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by realitygaf View Post

Most of the Afghanistan players are playing with the old flag and with team members and managers which are/were more loyal to the previous government. Most of these players dont live in afghanistan but either india or they will seek asylum somewhere else. the other sport boards aside from maybe Pakistan will not accept new afghanistan players sent by Taliban (if they even send one) so this current batch will play out for the next 3-4 years but what's next. What if Taliban is still in power? We are likely seeing the peak of Afghanistan cricket and we will witness the END of Afghanistan cricket within the next 4-5 maybe 6 years. it is unfortunately but that is likely how it will play out unless the government changes back to a more "democratic" government
    Some Afghan players live in India?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Highly overrated team…furture cricket powahoussssee they said. Rashid normally gets tonked around vs big teams. Most of their batters are hacks.

26 matches vs top 6 sides with 0 wins.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cutter View Post
    Highly overrated team…furture cricket powahoussssee they said. Rashid normally gets tonked around vs big teams. Most of their batters are hacks.

26 matches vs top 6 sides with 0 wins.
    I think they have a future in T20.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Cricket Australia do not give a toss about Afghanistan cricket or their women.

As a matter of fact Cricket Australia or Australia as a country dont give a toss about non white countries with the exception of India (due to monetary gains).

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by realitygaf View Post

I'm genuinely astounded sometimes at how little the world knows of the situation in some countries, and in this case, Afghanistan.

You do realize that most of Afghanistan was already under control of the Taliban for almost 2-and-a-half decades? For the most part, it was only in Kabul where a pseudo-"democratic" goverment had any real semblance of authority but that was in isolation to the rest of Afghanistan. There was never a "democratic" government that they can go back to.

Most cricketing matters have remained the same despite the topple over of Ghani and co.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Cricket in Afghanistan

The ICC Board appointed Working Group has been established to review the status of the Afghanistan Cricket Board and cricket in Afghanistan in light of the recent governmental changes in the country.

The group comprises Imran Khwaja (Chair), Ross McCollum, Lawson Naidoo and Ramiz Raja and will report back to the Board over the coming months.

ICC Chair Greg Barclay said: “The ICC Board is committed to continuing to support Afghanistan Cricket to develop both men’s and women’s cricket moving forward. We believe the most effective way for this to happen will be to support our Member in its efforts to achieve this through its relationship with the new government.

“Cricket is fortunate to be in the position to influence positive change in Afghanistan with the national men’s team a source of great pride and unity in a country with a young population that has experienced more upheaval and change than most. We should protect that status and continue to try to influence change through the ACB but will continue to closely monitor the situation and take any decisions accordingly.”

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There was a series between Afghanistan and Zimbabwe scheduled from mid Dec to Mid Jan, comprising of 5 T20s and 3 ODIs which are part of WSL.

ACB and ZC announced the tour on twitter 2 days back only for it to be cancelled /postponed within 24 hrs and taken down from twitter.

The reason being some of Afghanistan players playing in the BBL wanted to prioritize BBL over this series and ACB did not want to send a depleted squad fearing losing 3 important ODIs which are part of WSL.

I don't know what it shows, does it mean not all is good between players and the ACB, because BBL dates were known well in advance. Or does it just mean how franchise leagues are now massively taking priority over international tours.

All in all very harsh on ZC who lose out for no fault of their own, esp at a time when Afghanistan are struggling for fixtures, this is not such an intelligent thing to do.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Former Australia pacer Shaun Tait announced on Wednesday that he is stepping down as fast bowling consultant to the Afghanistan cricket team with immediate effect.

"I have enjoyed my time working with the team especially with the young Afghan fast bowlers whom I personally think have a great future," Tait said in a statement.

"Having access to a great cricketing mind like Lance Klusener has been an absolute pleasure," he added. Earlier on Monday, former South African all-rounder Klusener had announced that he was not seeking to extend his tenure as the head coach of the team.

Tait, who has picked 95 international wickets for Australia, was roped in as bowling coach by Afghanistan in August earlier this year for a period of five months and accompanied the team to the UAE for the T20 World Cup 2021.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Where do they go from here?

A talented side, but due to perceived internal political volatility they are at high risk of being sidelined.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The top management of ACB have set up a committee to observe, review and better standardize cricket in the country. The committee is consisted of 14 members which includes Abdulwali Amin, Ahmad Shah Suliman Khil, Allah Dad Noori, Dawlat Khan Ahmadzai, Ihsan Obaid, Menhaj Raz, Mohammad Khan, Nazeem Jar, Mohammad Salam Afghan, Nawroz Mangal, Noor Malikzai, Raees Khan Ahmadzai, Shahid Alokozai and Taj Malik Alam, which will work together and report back to the top management.

The committee met the Chairman & CEO of the ACB who instructed the members to analyze the current status of the game in the country, review and report back the top management with specific plans on what needs to be done.

“Our aim is to promote and develop the game in the country. The committee have the primary responsibility to note the strengths, faults and negativities in the current state of the game and report them alongside the proper solutions to the top management”. The Chairman of the ACB Mr. Mirwais Ashraf addressed the committee.

He further asserted that apart from the better systemization of the game, the committee must also review and modify the organizational plans & policies, so they can better govern the game and minimize the existing faults around. “Cricket is the prime source of happiness in the country, the ACB strives hard to develop domestic cricket, build fundamentals of the game and promote areas which needs to be developed, so we could better achieve our organizational objectives”. He added.

The CEO of ACB, Mr. Naseeb Khan also insisted on expanding and promoting the game to all parts of the country. “ACB is committed to promoting and developing all aspects of the game in Afghanistan, we must work hard and provide the youngsters with all the required facilities to help them come forward and expose their talents”. He added.

The committee members have also stated that the development of grass root cricket is essential, club & academy level cricket must be concentrated on and the private sector must be supported to come forward and contribute to the development of the cricket in the country.

The committee has also discussed and assessed the future domestic cricket events and other relevant aspects. It’s to mention that this working group will work together, will closely review & evaluate the proceedings and will report back the top management with the proper action plans.

https://cricket.af/post/acb-assigns-...afghan-cricket

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    KABUL: Afghanistan will host their three-match ODI series against Netherlands in Doha, Qatar in January next year, the country's cricket board (ACB) said on Wednesday.

"The three-match ODI series will begin on January 21st, with the second and third game set to be played on January 23rd and 25th respectively. All three games will be staged at Asian Town Cricket Stadium, Doha, Qatar," ACB said in a statement.

Afghanistan grabbed 30 points after whitewashing Ireland 3-0 in the first series in January under the ODI Super League, which counts towards qualification for the 2023 World Cup. The series against Netherlands will be the second assignment followed by the third in Zimbabwe between January and February.

Afghanistan is scheduled to host Australia & Pakistan and will then travel to India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka in their away three series at the ICC Cricket World Cup Super League till 2023. The ICC Cricket World Cup Super League is a 13-team tournament that will take place across two years and will determine which teams qualify to the CWC 2023.

India, who are the hosts in ICC Cricket World Cup 2023, and the other top seven teams from the super league, will qualify automatically for the World Cup.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/spo...s-2393315.html

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    FTP schedule for 2022-23.

This includes a total of 37 ODIs, 12 T20Is & 3 tests in the period. Moreover, the national team will be taking part in various ICC & ACC events in two years.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rumours are going around that misbah, jonathan trott, azhar mehmood and stuart law have been interviewed for afghan coach position.

Damnn, there is a probable chance misbah could end coaching afghanistan.

This would be a great move by ACB as they need to learn how to bat steadily and use spiners properly. Misbah is am ideal coach to have based on the afghan resources.

Lets see if he gets hired or not

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the final 4-5 years for Afghan cricket. After this golden generation of players retires there will be no future for cricket under Talib rule.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Rumours are going around that misbah, jonathan trott, azhar mehmood and stuart law have been interviewed for afghan coach position.

This would be a great move by ACB as they need to learn how to bat steadily and use spiners properly. Misbah is am ideal coach to have based on the afghan resources.

This is the old fallacy of assuming that just because ex-Player X is introduced as coach, all members of the playing XI will automatically start playing just like Player X did in his career.

If that Shehzad guy starts batting like Misbah, I'll eat my hat.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    This is the old fallacy of assuming that just because ex-Player X is introduced as coach, all members of the playing XI will automatically start playing just like Player X did in his career.

If that Shehzad guy starts batting like Misbah, I'll eat my hat.
    Where did i said they will bat like misbah?

Coaches are there for strategy, what misbah would do is selected the relevent players in relevent positions rather than selecting hard hitting sloggers for all numbers.

Also better usage of spinners would be taught

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post

Jonny Trott? Interesting.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    537 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Misbah has been made their head coach. All the best.

Afghanistan's next assignment is in Bangladesh. They are scheduled to play 3 ODI games.

Bangladeshi Man

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan currently playing the Netherlands in an ODI in Qatar.

Teams:

Afghanistan (Playing XI): Rahmanullah Gurbaz(w), Usman Ghani, Rahmat Shah, Hashmatullah Shahidi(c), Najibullah Zadran, Shahidullah Kamal, Gulbadin Naib, Sharafuddin Ashraf, Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Yamin Ahmadzai

Netherlands (Playing XI): Pieter Seelaar(c), Colin Ackermann, Scott Edwards(w), Fred Klaassen, Brandon Glover, Bas de Leede, Philippe Boissevain, Saqib Zulfiqar, Vivian Kingma, Boris Gorlee, Musa Ahmed

Netherlands have won the toss and have opted to field

Afghanistan 18/1 after 4 overs

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    AFG 222/8 (50)
    NED 67/2 (16) CRR: 4.19 REQ: 4.59
    Netherlands need 156 runs

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan won by 36 runs

Afghanistan - 222/8 50/50 ov RR: 4.44
    Netherlands - 186 48/50 ov RR: 3.87

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Afghans have easily become the best team from associate level , hopefully it continues.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Afghans have easily become the best team from associate level , hopefully it continues.
    They seem to be in the tricky inbetweeny position of being a bit too good for associate level but not quite up to the standard of the other full members…

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Teams:

Afghanistan (Playing XI): Rahmanullah Gurbaz(w), Usman Ghani, Rahmat Shah, Hashmatullah Shahidi(c), Najibullah Zadran, Gulbadin Naib, Sharafuddin Ashraf, Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Fareed Ahmad Malik, Yamin Ahmadzai

Netherlands (Playing XI): Scott Edwards(w), Musa Ahmed, Colin Ackermann, Bas de Leede, Pieter Seelaar(c), Boris Gorlee, Saqib Zulfiqar, Philippe Boissevain, Fred Klaassen, Vivian Kingma, Ryan Klein

Afghanistan have won the toss and have opted to bat

==

AFG 1/1 (1.1) CRR: 0.86

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Afg 73/1 (16) crr: 4.56

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    AFG 237/6 (50)

NED 189 (47.4)

Afghanistan won by 48 runs

PLAYER OF THE MATCH
    Rahmanullah Gurbaz

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Rahmanullah Gurbaz scored a brilliant ton in the second ODI against Netherlands in Doha as Afghanistan won the contest by 48 runs.

Winning the toss, Afghanistan opted to bat first and hoped to replicate their performance from the first match. Their charge was led by opener Rahmanullah Gurbaz, who would lend a brilliant hand to the cause. He lost his opening partner Usman Ghani soon though as he would be dismissed for a duck by Fred Klaassen.

Gurbaz would then establish a stand with Rahmat Shah before he was dismissed on 35 by Philippe Boissevain. Hashmatullah Shahidi though would lend a brilliant hand to Gurbaz, scoring a half-century as Afghanistan edged closer to a competitive total on a pitch where scoring was proving to be a tricky proposition.

Gurbaz would finally perish in the 42nd over with Boissevain again getting the scalp. But he would do his job scoring a brilliant ton to set Afghanistan up in the final overs in Doha. Afghanistan would keep losing wickets in the death overs but kept on scorecard ticking eventually reaching a score of 237/6 in their 50 overs.

In reply, Netherlands would not have the best of starts as opener Musa Ahmed walked back to the pavilion for 6 with Mujeeb Ur Rahman doing the damage. Colin Ackermann too couldn't last long being dismissed by Fareed Ahmed.

Scott Edwards and Bas de Leede would then embark on a rebuilding job with the former reaching his half-century but found the scoring to be tough against the Afghan spinners. It would eventually prove to be a case of leaving it a little too late for the Dutch as the Afghanistan bowlers tightened the screws.

In their efforts to up the scoring both the set batters would lose their wickets. Edwards would perish for a well-made 86 while de Leede was gone for 34. The rest of the batters also found the scoring tough as Netherlands would eventually end their innings on 189 all out, losing by 48 runs. With the victory, Afghanistan took an unassailable 2-0 lead in the series.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2460279?sf158927497=1

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan have an unassailable 2-0 lead in the series.

3rd ODI today.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Teams:
    Afghanistan (Playing XI): Rahmanullah Gurbaz(w), Riaz Hussan, Rahmat Shah, Hashmatullah Shahidi(c), Najibullah Zadran, Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Azmatullah Omarzai, Qais Ahmad, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Fareed Ahmad Malik

Netherlands (Playing XI): Scott Edwards(w), Colin Ackermann, Saqib Zulfiqar, Bas de Leede, Pieter Seelaar(c), Boris Gorlee, Clayton Floyd, Philippe Boissevain, Vivian Kingma, Aryan Dutt, Brandon Glover

Afghanistan have won the toss and have opted to bat

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    AFG 254/5 (50)
    NED 3/0 (1.4) CRR: 1.8 REQ: 5.21
    Netherlands need 252 runs

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Netherlands 123/2 (26 overs)

The Dutch need 132 runs from 24 overs (required run-rate 5.50)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    AFG 254/5 (50)

NED 179 (42.4)

Afghanistan won by 75 runs

PLAYER OF THE MATCH
    Najibullah Zadran

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2463252

Afghanistan completed a 3-0 series victory over Netherlands to grab 30 crucial World Cup Super League points.

Half-centuries from Najibullah Zadran and debutant Riaz Hassan and a three-wicket haul from another debutant Qais Ahmad led Afghanistan to a 75-run victory in Doha on Tuesday, setting up a 3-0 series victory in the ODI series.

Having opted to bat first, Afghanistan were driven by 19-year old opener Riaz on debut. Netherlands managed to send back the centurion from the last game, Rahmanullah Gurbaz, for 12, but Riaz and Rahmat Shah put on an 86-run partnership to revive the innings.

Once Saqib Zulfiqar broke the partnership by sending back Riaz, Netherlands managed another wicket soon with Rahmat dismissed in the 33rd over. Najibullah Zadran compiled a fine half-century with aid from the lower middle-order. Najibullah finished on 71 off 59 balls as Afghanistan made 254/5 in their 50 overs.

In reply, Netherlands started strong with Scott Edwards once again leading the charge. Colin Ackermann gave him solid company and the duo thwarted Afghanistan's new ball plans. 50 came up in 10 overs with the openers laying a solid platform.

They carried on in the same vein, putting on 103 for the opening wicket before Afghanistan's debutant Qais broke the stand with his maiden ODI wicket, that of Edwards, trapped in front by the leg-spinner. Fareed Ahmad sent back skipper Pieter Seelaar for a duck and Afghanistan had the opportunity to put a leash on the chase.

The spinners worked in tandem and soon Netherlands went from 103/0 to 153/5 with Boris Gorlee, Bas de Leede and the well-set Colin Ackermann, who made 81 off 96 balls, also back in the hut. The tables had turned around at this stage and Afghanistan were right on top in the game. They went on to bowl out Netherlands for 179 to seal a 75-run victory and secure a series whitewash.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan has given themselves a very good start in order to qualify directly to WC2023.

3-0 against Ireland and 3-0 against Netherland. That is maximum point after 6 games. Still a long way to go and much tougher opponents awaits but good start.

Ex Shahid Afridi fan.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom View Post
    This is the final 4-5 years for Afghan cricket. After this golden generation of players retires there will be no future for cricket under Talib rule.
    Golden generation?
    And who are those world beaters?