Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"Steve Smith is potentially one of the best batsman the game has ever seen" : Ricky Ponting

Australia's most prolific Test century-maker Ricky Ponting says his record of 41 career hundreds is under serious threat from the nation's current batting hero, captain Steve Smith.

And he believes the 28-year-old could finish his career as one of the best, if not the best, batsman the game has ever seen.

Smith posted his 21st Test ton on Saturday, a tally he's accrued in less than four-and-a-half years and just 46 Tests having posted his first century in August, 2013.

With Smith now more than halfway to the Australian record of 41 - Indian Sachin Tendulkar holds the all-time mark of 51 Test hundreds - Ponting says he'd love to see his former teammate smash the record he built over a decorated 17-year career.

"Hopefully it's in danger, I'd love to see that," Ponting told cricket.com.au.

"If he keeps going like he is, he's going to catch me in four or five years. It's well and truly in danger.
    "What we're seeing is potentially one of, if not the best batsman that the game has ever seen."

Ponting did, however, add that any comparisons between current players and genuine greats of the game comes with the caveat that longevity of success is one of the biggest challenges for any player.

"The hard thing about trying to make those sort of judgements is the longevity of the players, you just never know what's going to happen," he said.

"The thing I was most proud of in my career was my longevity. Longevity in the game allows you to achieve a lot of great things around the team, and I was able to play in 108 winning Test matches.

"That should inspire players and motivate players."

Smith's defiant century came after his side had been languishing at 4-76 late on day two and then 7-209 on Saturday. But his unbeaten 141 from more than eight hours at the crease helped his side take an unexpected and valuable 26-run lead on the first innings.

The magnitude of Smith's innings was not lost on the man himself and he made an emotional and pointed gesture towards the players' viewing areas upon reaching three figures, punching the Australian coat of arms on his Test shirt and uttering "come on" to his teammates.

Ponting said Smith's reaction was the result of two-and-a-half years of planning coming to fruition, but said his deeds with bat in hand should serve as inspiration enough to his teammates.

"That's just the emotion that comes out when you work as hard as you do and it comes off," Ponting said.

"I'm not sure he had to do that because if I was one of his teammates, I would have been inspired by what I saw. I wouldn't have needed anymore motivation or inspiration than what I had just seen unfold for the previous seven or eight hours. That would have been enough for me.

"It just goes to show his passion. He wants to be the man who stands up, he wants to lead in the best way he can and he wants to win. That attitude is infectious around the team.

"Since the last Ashes series finished (in 2015), all he would have been thinking about would be to have an impact at the start of this next series. All his preparation, all his hard work, all his thinking has come to fruition over the 514 mins he was out there batting.

"It's fantastic to see a skipper lead from the front when the team needed him the most and that'll inspire some of the young guys in the side as well.

"To see your skipper stand up like that in a critical moment, all of those guys will learn something from it."

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/ricky...bba/2017-11-25

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1755 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Think he is up there with Joe Root but then Ashes brings out the best and worst of hyperbole!

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He's potentially the GOAT. Temperament is unreal.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Outstanding player. He just has to sustain his form for few more years. Punter was also like him at one point. But it didn't last long.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He looks like an ordinary batsman but gives extraordinary results.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    782 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Ponting got sorted out on the Subcontinent but this guy thrived there.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another couple of more years of this consistency and he will finish as one of crickets greats.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    Outstanding player. He just has to sustain his form for few more years. Punter was also like him at one point. But it didn't last long.
    Ponting was more dominating than him.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4999 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Ponting, like Kohli, had a fear factor that Smith does not possess.

Smith is more like Steve Waugh - a prolific, boring run machine with unflappable temperament and incredible ability to absorb pressure. Someone who is going to grind the opposition to the dust and refuse to get out.

He is one his way to greatness, that is for sure. He will have to play really poorly for the next 50 odd Tests to not finish as an all-time great.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post

Smith is more like Steve Waugh - a prolific, boring run machine with unflappable temperament and incredible ability to absorb pressure. Someone who is going to grind the opposition to the dust and refuse to get out.

He is one his way to greatness, that is for sure. He will have to play really poorly for the next 50 odd Tests to not finish as an all-time great.
    Smith does have a fear factor. He's Australia's best batsmen and the opposition are desperate to get him out because if they don't he'll more than likely score big.

For once I disagree with you, Smith has a fear factor and he's Kohlis main challenger to be the best of this era.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Aesthetically he looks poor, but you cant argue with the stats.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Paris
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Usual suspects are bringing Kohli In the thread again...

Smith is, so far head and shoulders ahead of everyone at the moment.
    If he continues like that he will be the best of the last 30-40 years. But It’s quite impossible to continue at this level...

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not potentially, he is already one of the greatest Test batsman the game has ever seen.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    813 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He is THE best batsman today. You do not need qualifiers for the performance he is putting out day in and day out. He might go through a horror run but even then he should finish with an average of 52-53 which makes him one of the ATGs.

2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is the best test batsmen in world cricket today by a distance. Root is a close second and Kane is close too but I believe this series will prove his superiority.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1515 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    What I like about Smith is that he has worked so hard to become the great player he is today.

Started his Test career at Lord's in 2010 against Pakistan where he batted number 8 and 9.

He hasn't changed his technique much and has instead put a price on his wicket and played according to his strengths. He's not the best to watch and his technique won't be found in too many coaching manuals, but what a player he is.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hands down best Test batsman in world cricket.

Can't rate Joe Root in the same class after his dismal performances in Australia (might change this tour) and NZ.

Average in AWAY Matches

Root: 44.25
    Smith: 57.29

Not even close.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    342 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Are you talking about ODI here? In the test format, Smith is the most feared batsman in world due to his consistency.

I don't think that we need any qualifiers here. He will go down as one of the best in history. The next 5-6 years will only decide where he will land in pecking order.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4999 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Smith does have a fear factor. He's Australia's best batsmen and the opposition are desperate to get him out because if they don't he'll more than likely score big.

For once I disagree with you, Smith has a fear factor and he's Kohlis main challenger to be the best of this era.
    Best batsman doesn't necessarily translate into fear factor. Smith's technique makes him look vulnerable, and he scores nearly 70% of his runs on one side of the wicket. More often than not, he nudges the ball around and does not play imposing shots.

Aesthetically, he simply does not make an impression which is why he does not possess the fear factor. Not to mention his innocuous personality - he looks like a random 15 year old white kid.

The type of player you will not notice without the volume of his runs and someone who will be quickly forgotten after his retirement. No matter how many Test runs he piles up, 20-30 years down the line, this era will be remembered as the Kohli era and not the Smith era (excluding bitter Pakistani fans due to obvious reasons).

However, he is undoubtedly the best Test batsman in the world today. His technique appears vulnerable but it has actually made him invincible; he is the most difficult batsman in the world to bowl to.

He will not match Ponting's aura and stature, but he will probably go down as a more successful and prolific Test batsman.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4999 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    @Buffet ^

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On course to score 1000 runs in 4 straight years, don't think it has ever been done before.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best test batsman in the world today.He’s scored in all conditions.He doesn’t have a particularly good technique but he still scores.

His average will only drop below 50 if he scores 19 consecutive ducks.Crazy.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    342 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In the test format, you don't have to play all shots to scare oppositions. If all oppositions find it very hard to dislodge you and you also score tons of runs then you do become the most feared batsman. Yes, if you can dominate by all shots then it's even better, but Smith has been extremely consistent and pretty much lone warrior for Aus. He is half of Aus batting side and I can't say the same for anyone right now playing international cricket.

Let me put it this way. If I am an opposition captain, I will fear Smith more than Kohli. Simply because Smith is likely to not get out and score runs to change the result of match. Talking about the test format here. You may disagree with that.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Best batsman doesn't necessarily translate into fear factor. Smith's technique makes him look vulnerable, and he scores nearly 70% of his runs on one side of the wicket. More often than not, he nudges the ball around and does not play imposing shots.

Aesthetically, he simply does not make an impression which is why he does not possess the fear factor. Not to mention his innocuous personality - he looks like a random 15 year old white kid.

The type of player you will not notice without the volume of his runs and someone who will be quickly forgotten after his retirement. No matter how many Test runs he piles up, 20-30 years down the line, this era will be remembered as the Kohli era and not the Smith era (excluding bitter Pakistani fans due to obvious reasons).

However, he is undoubtedly the best Test batsman in the world today. His technique appears vulnerable but it has actually made him invincible; he is the most difficult batsman in the world to bowl to.

He will not match Ponting's aura and stature, but he will probably go down as a more successful and prolific Test batsman.

It's his ability to score big which makes him a fear factor for the opposition. How can a team not be afraid of a player with his record? And he has more strokes than you think because he usually doesn't score as slow as he did today . It was his slowest century. So he is capable of scoring at a good rate and he is capable of taking the game away from the opposition.

A batsmen who has who match winning test centuries in all major counties and has dominated a WC will certainly be remembered.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Not sure where people are coming from that he is the most difficult batsman in the world to bowl too, he is susceptible to the delivery going away just on or outside offstump like most batsmen in the world. England exploited this problem in the 2015 ashes in England big time

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Not sure where people are coming from that he is the most difficult batsman in the world to bowl too, he is susceptible to the delivery going away just on or outside offstump like most batsmen in the world. England exploited this problem in the 2015 ashes in England big time
    It's a weakness but an exaggerated one.

Steve Smith has the lowest percentage of deliveries "beating the edge" in world cricket statistically. That alone makes him the hardest man to bowl to!

He averages 131.00 in NZ, 67.25 in SA, and 47.38 in England (3 centuries).

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

Smith will be remembered in Australia as our second best batsman of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    East Coast, US.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The man looks like he's on another plane and seems impossible to remove. Makes it look like he's playing against a school attack. Mind you, these England bowlers in Oz conditions aren't world class.

I'm not sure if it's relevant what 'era' this will be remembered by. It's an era where Steve Smith bats better than everyone else in the world in Tests. He scores runs, more consistently and often in pressure situations/tough batting conditions than everyone else. Kohli and Root may look better, but few people would choose them over Smith to bat for their lives.

Exceptional eye-hand coordination, but it's really the man's hard work with which he has written his name in history.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quite bizarre that one who ‘looks’ so average when holding a bat can be so incredibly good, and I still can’t quite work it out, but no arguments from me on his immense quality. Stunning knock in this match too.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4999 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    It's his ability to score big which makes him a fear factor for the opposition. How can a team not be afraid of a player with his record? And he has more strokes than you think because he usually doesn't score as slow as he did today . It was his slowest century. So he is capable of scoring at a good rate and he is capable of taking the game away from the opposition.

A batsmen who has who match winning test centuries in all major counties and has dominated a WC will certainly be remembered.
    I am not talking about his SR, but the way he plays the game. He has multiple gears but his technique gives the illusion that he is never in control, and most of his runs are restricted to one side of the wicket.

He doesn't appear to be invincible at the crease even though he is. He is a deceptive batsman who is not going to look like a top class batsman to someone who is not aware of his numbers.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4999 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Smith will be remembered in Australia as our second best batsman of all time.
    His legacy in Australia is beyond any dispute.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4999 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    In the test format, you don't have to play all shots to scare oppositions. If all oppositions find it very hard to dislodge you and you also score tons of runs then you do become the most feared batsman. Yes, if you can dominate by all shots then it's even better, but Smith has been extremely consistent and pretty much lone warrior for Aus. He is half of Aus batting side and I can't say the same for anyone right now playing international cricket.

Let me put it this way. If I am an opposition captain, I will fear Smith more than Kohli. Simply because Smith is likely to not get out and score runs to change the result of match. Talking about the test format here. You may disagree with that.
    I don't disagree with that, but I was speaking in terms of their legacies. Even though both are elite batsmen, only one of them is a superstar.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4999 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    If he isn't the most difficult batsmen to bowl to in the game today, who is?

His astounding consistency over the last 4 years is not a matter of luck. His technique has made him nearly invincible unless you bowl a nagging length outside the off-stump or bowl an unplayable delivery. He is the least vulnerable batsman in the world even though he appears to be the opposite.

It is quite ironic that the only bowler who can consistently trouble him is Hazlewood. He can bowl that line and length consistency to force Smith out of his comfort-zone, and the extra bounce that he generates makes him unplayable when he is in the zone.

Rabada can do it too, but he doesn't have the consistency of Hazlewood.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Happy Birthday Steve Smith. You are already legend in my book.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    782 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If he isn't the most difficult batsmen to bowl to in the game today, who is?
    Dom Bess!

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He will be missed for next 9-10 months or as long as it takes for him to return back in Australian squad.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4999 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Dom Bess!
    Love his grit. He may not have the talent, but he has the character to excel in Test cricket.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Such a shame that he's not playing for a year, still the best Test batsman in the world and has been since 2015. Hopefully he goes on to break many milestones and sets new records.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rung above any other test batsman.. In fact the most dominant batsman I have seen. This is what it must have been like bowling to Bradman..

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    its been almost one year since his ban, and this guy had amounted soo many ranking points that he is still at no4

greatest batsmen indeed

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He will have a lot to prove after his return from ban.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    He is at a different level to any other batsman in test cricket

#MPGA

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    There are question marks as to whether he will be the same batsman again

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Going to come back as a poor mans Azhar & Asad (never thought such poverty could exist)..

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I miss him so much. Cannot wait until he's back.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1847 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Steve Smith has generated great numbers. He is only second to the Don himself to reach highest peak average after 50 tests.

Players reaching 60+ average after playing 50 or more tests

No Player Span Total Mat Overall Avg Peak Avg Match peak
    1 DG Bradman (AUS) 1928-1948 52 99.94 101.39 51
    2 SPD Smith (AUS) 2010-2018 64 61.37 63.75 61
    3 H Sutcliffe (ENG) 1924-1935 54 60.73 62.67 51
    4 WR Hammond (ENG) 1927-1947 85 58.45 61.71 74
    5 L Hutton (ENG) 1937-1955 79 56.67 61.71 70
    6 JB Hobbs (ENG) 1908-1930 61 56.94 61.28 50
    7 KF Barrington (ENG) 1955-1968 82 58.67 60.66 75

Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.