Instagram


The Cricket Paper

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 40 of 40

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    84,701
    Mentioned
    1425 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

    'Unbearable' Geoffrey Boycott attacked over Ashes punditry by ECB executive Clare Connor

    A leading ECB executive made a highly disparaging comment on social media on Tuesday about top pundit Geoffrey Boycott's views from the Ashes Test in Adelaide.

    Clare Connor, director of England women's cricket and a former England captain, listening to BBC's Test Match Special, didn't mince her words when she tweeted: 'God, the arrogant, all-knowing opinions of Boycott are bordering on unbearable this morning.'

    The post was later deleted by Connor — whose partner is ECB technical director Andy Flower — after it was pointed out to the ruling body what she had said about Boycott when TMS are the ECB's long-time radio rights holders.

    An ECB spokesman said that in hindsight Clare felt that her tweet had been an error and made in haste.
    Boycott had been his usual highly opinionated self on TMS, reminding the England batsmen to dig in and preserve their wickets like he used to do.
    And he hadn't been patronising in the least when sharing the mic with Alison Mitchell.


    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cri...#ixzz50Vfmb5ML


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    4,907
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Losing does bring in the worst out of you and the folks supporting the team ......


    Pakistani batsmen - An endangered species?

  3. #3
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    26,360
    Mentioned
    792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Yes the commentators should just do non-stop propaganda for England. Usual rubbish from an ECB director who should be more worried about the rubbish being served on the pitch than what's being said on commentary.

    Boycott said this morning "Australia's bowling is better than England's so its tougher. But you knew that before we came here. And if you didn't you're an idiot."

    This isn't hindsight, fact is every man and their dog knew England were asking for trouble when they picked 4 line and length, fast medium bowlers for these true, hard Australian pitches. None of the bowlers can consistent operate at above 140kph. Only Broad has a good record in Australia.

    Everyone could see James Vince's recall was not merited after a mediocre County season and that he lacks the temperament for Test cricket. People have been saying Bairstow is wasted at 7 for the last two years. So let's stop acting all surprised at these defeats in an Ashes campaign that's going the way of these Brexit negotiations.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    22,919
    Mentioned
    4250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Yes the commentators should just do non-stop propaganda for England. Usual rubbish from an ECB director who should be more worried about the rubbish being served on the pitch than what's being said on commentary.

    Boycott said this morning "Australia's bowling is better than England's so its tougher. But you knew that before we came here. And if you didn't you're an idiot."

    This isn't hindsight, fact is every man and their dog knew England were asking for trouble when they picked 4 line and length, fast medium bowlers for these true, hard Australian pitches. None of the bowlers can consistent operate at above 140kph. Only Broad has a good record in Australia.

    Everyone could see James Vince's recall was not merited after a mediocre County season and that he lacks the temperament for Test cricket. People have been saying Bairstow is wasted at 7 for the last two years. So let's stop acting all surprised at these defeats in an Ashes campaign that's going the way of these Brexit negotiations.
    Are you not surprised that Overton top scored in England's first innings? or that just one batsman managed more then 40 runs in the second innings. We need to stop making excuses for these bunch of cowards, maybe defeat is inevitable; but to just show up in AUS with your pants back in England is a bit surprising don't you think?


    Ah, so this is what it feels like

  5. #5
    Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    957
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakpassion.net could have done a better job than ECB selectors for this series.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    8,266
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The reality is that they didnt have many options, do England have quality fast bowlers out there, and the answer is no.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    727
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pathetic comments by Connor, underscoring the fact that the blazers remain obliviously blinkered to reality. England well on course to lose 5-0.

    Boycott has his demons and is prone to the awkward gaffe here and there but for a chap of 77 to continue to provide such acerbic insight is quite remarkable. I think he has been great value for BT and adds a refreshing change to listening to the likes of Lloyd and Botham on television.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,544
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I found Boycott's assessment of English team pretty accurate.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    25,085
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It begs the question as to whether England were right to scapegoat Kevin Pietersen for the 2013-14 ashes failure. They are getting whitewashed again, so what is the difference really?

  10. #10
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    67,247
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Seems like some Boards and officials just want commentators to be cheerleaders. Currently Boycott is one of only a few commentators who I actually listen to.



  11. #11
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    313
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe Connor should find England's performances and selections unbearable instead.

    We 'all-knew' that James Vince who can't even score runs in county cricket, shouldn't be a #3 in the hardest place to tour.

    And somehow Boycott is arrogant and all-knowing for stating the obvious.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    15,364
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    England have bigger problems to worry about than criticising Boycotts commentary. Whoever selected this squad for the series sbould be getting the stick instead of Boycott.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    40,507
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Boycott has been fantastic all series.

    Doesn't hold back at all and rightly so in most cases.


    May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    22,851
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    England have bigger problems to worry about than criticising Boycotts commentary. Whoever selected this squad for the series sbould be getting the stick instead of Boycott.
    Don't think there's better alternatives around in county cricket either. Something Boycott pointed out himself. There's a lack of genuine Test quality batting and fast bowling talent in the county circuit so whoever they had selected would've performed just as poorly imo.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    15,364
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boi View Post
    Don't think there's better alternatives around in county cricket either. Something Boycott pointed out himself. There's a lack of genuine Test quality batting and fast bowling talent in the county circuit so whoever they had selected would've performed just as poorly imo.

    Better of trying other players than sticking with Balance,Vince,and Malan.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    22,851
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Better of trying other players than sticking with Balance,Vince,and Malan.
    Like who though? Ben Duckett lol? Tom Westley was tried over the summer and turned out to be disappointing. Haseeb Hameed could've been picked but he had a dreadful FC season. Unfortunately there just seems to be a lack of good options for England atm.

    Foakes should be given the gloves and Bairstow freed up to be played as batsmen only instead of Vince/Malan. That's the only realistic option they have rn that could possibly make a difference because Ballance isn't doing anything out in Australia.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    15,364
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boi View Post
    Like who though? Ben Duckett lol? Tom Westley was tried over the summer and turned out to be disappointing. Haseeb Hameed could've been picked but he had a dreadful FC season. Unfortunately there just seems to be a lack of good options for England atm.

    Foakes should be given the gloves and Bairstow freed up to be played as batsmen only instead of Vince/Malan. That's the only realistic option they have rn that could possibly make a difference because Ballance isn't doing anything out in Australia.

    Haseeb Hameed was an opition. He should have been selected ahead of Malan or Vince.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    14,955
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Haseeb Hameed was an opition. He should have been selected ahead of Malan or Vince.
    Why was he dropped? He performed well in India IIRC. There was another opener in that tour - Keaton Jennings, even he is nowhere to be seen.

    England have cycled through tons and tons of openers over the last few years, much like Australia did with spinners after Warne and before they found Lyon.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    4,416
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Boycott has always been like that and his commentary is never sugar coated.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    9,447
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Boycott
    Lawry
    Fazeer
    Bishop

    The only four that I listen to, the rest I just mute them regardless!

  21. #21
    Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    4,907
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the past England has relied on a steady supply of batsmen from South Africa and there would be at least one in the team. However, after Pieterson's departure England has relied on homegrown talent that simply is not good enough at the international level except maybe for Root.

    Cook needs to find form quickly other wise it is looking quite ominous for England right now and the danger of losing the series 5-0.


    Pakistani batsmen - An endangered species?

  22. #22
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    17,280
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fawad_wellwisher View Post
    In the past England has relied on a steady supply of batsmen from South Africa and there would be at least one in the team. However, after Pieterson's departure England has relied on homegrown talent that simply is not good enough at the international level except maybe for Root.

    Cook needs to find form quickly other wise it is looking quite ominous for England right now and the danger of losing the series 5-0.
    This doesn't seem like a very sound long-term strategy.


    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    4,907
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    This doesn't seem like a very sound long-term strategy.
    But in the past they were able to get players from SA willing to represent England. Now it appears it is getting difficult to do with the rule changes and all.


    Pakistani batsmen - An endangered species?

  24. #24
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    22,171
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fawad_wellwisher View Post
    In the past England has relied on a steady supply of batsmen from South Africa and there would be at least one in the team. However, after Pieterson's departure England has relied on homegrown talent that simply is not good enough at the international level except maybe for Root.

    Cook needs to find form quickly other wise it is looking quite ominous for England right now and the danger of losing the series 5-0.
    There are plenty of Saffers they could pick. The problem is a general slump in quality in the CC at the moment. No Tres, no Strauss, no Vaughan, no Collingwood, no Thorpe.

    England could immediately strengthen the batting by putting Bairstow at #5 and bringing Foakes in behind the sticks, though. I would drop Cook to #3 as well - this may be the best way to get more runs out of his final three years.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    4,907
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    There are plenty of Saffers they could pick. The problem is a general slump in quality in the CC at the moment. No Tres, no Strauss, no Vaughan, no Collingwood, no Thorpe.

    England could immediately strengthen the batting by putting Bairstow at #5 and bringing Foakes in behind the sticks, though. I would drop Cook to #3 as well - this may be the best way to get more runs out of his final three years.
    TBH even with Saffers in the team, the Poms haven't done all that well down under. It is just so difficult to perform in those conditions. Just ask Pakistan....

    No matter how many changes you make and who you bring, it is not going to make a difference. The best England can hope for is to draw a test or two.


    Pakistani batsmen - An endangered species?

  26. #26
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    5
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask Harsh Bhogle. At least, they didn't sack him from commentating.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    14,955
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Pity she doesn't find the actual batting and bowling performances unbearable. If England actually set their eyes on that they might stop getting whitewashed 0-5 for once.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    27,363
    Mentioned
    845 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Will she lose her job over this? Pretty disrespectful comments aimed towards a great of the game.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    21,464
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    who were the best batting performers in county cricket this year? I heard Samit patel had a good season..who else?

  30. #30
    Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    957
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Why was he dropped? He performed well in India IIRC. There was another opener in that tour - Keaton Jennings, even he is nowhere to be seen.

    England have cycled through tons and tons of openers over the last few years, much like Australia did with spinners after Warne and before they found Lyon.
    He couldn’t buy a run in domestics so they dropped him, just like Renshaw was dropped by Australia.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    67,247
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Some Boards should just employ robots or puppets to commentate and not employ people who actually have an opinion and are actually prepared to criticise players and the Board.



  32. #32
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    791
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ECB is learning from ACB and BCCI in wanting cheerleaders as commentators.

    I can't think of one decent one from the latter lot and ECB wants to do the same with the English group.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    Kandy,Sri Lanka.
    Runs
    84
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me,Geofrey Boycott and Ian Chappel are the only commentators give there absolute view with straight spine.Boycott is always like that[With my momma could bat with stick of rubhub etc..].
    Actually like his way of commentary and analysis than fan based band wagging...

  34. #34
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    36,183
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Boycott has had the same effect on people throughout his life - whether as a commentator, a player, a skipper, whether it’s in the Yorkshire or the England dressing room, or in his personal life. He is a forceful character and a lone wolf who does not care what anybody thinks about him. He sharply divides opinion and a lot of people in the game dislike him.

    This is the man who was deemed unsuitable to captain because he was too socially rude, it’s the old pro that got voted off the decision-making committee of his own county cricket board because everybody hated him, it’s the batsman who used to deliberately run out his partners if he was not enjoying playing with them.

    I personally am a big fan but then I have the Yorkshireman bias. So Clare Connor is just the latest in a long line of people (and sadly for Geoff’s people skills, many of these have been women) who he rubs up the wrong way.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    67,247
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Give ECB Ramiz Raja - he will make them happy. Kiss their feet etc.



  36. #36
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    84,701
    Mentioned
    1425 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    I believe Matthew Engel will not be receiving an Xmas card this year from GB...


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  37. #37
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    67,247
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Give ECB Ramiz Raja - he will make them happy. Kiss their feet etc.
    Together with Sunil Gavaskar and a couple more of the Board cheerleaders.



  38. #38
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    84,701
    Mentioned
    1425 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)













    Last edited by MenInG; Yesterday at 18:41.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •