Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Amritsar: Sadiq Khan calls on Government to apologise for mass killing of Sikhs by colonial troops

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan called on the British government on Wednesday to make a formal apology for the 1919 Jallianwala Bagh massacre in which nearly 400 Sikhs were shot dead by British Indian army soldiers.

During a visit to the Golden Temple at Amritsar in northern India, the most important pilgrimage site of Sikhism, Khan called the massacre one of the most horrific events in Indian history.

On Sunday 13 April 1919, some 50 soldiers began shooting at unarmed civilians who were taking part in a peaceful protest against oppressive laws enforced in the Punjab by British colonial authorities.

At least 379 Sikhs were killed, but the figure is still disputed.

“It is wrong that successive British governments have fallen short of delivering a formal apology to the families of those who were killed,” he said.

“I’m clear that the government should now apologise, especially as we reach the centenary of the massacre. This is about properly acknowledging what happened here and giving the people of Amritsar and India the closure they need through a formal apology.”

Khan, who is from the opposition Labour Party, does not speak for Britain's Conservative government.

Former Conservative Prime Minister David Cameron visited Amritsar at the end of a trade mission to India four years ago in a show of contrition over the massacre but stopped short of making a formal apology.

Khan is on a six-day mission to India and Pakistan to strengthen cultural and economic ties with the British capital.

There was no immediate comment from the Foreign Office in London.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a8095191.html

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Respect for Sadiq Khan Sahab. But expect brown nosing desis will be the first to denounce his call.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    611 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Colonel Dyer should have swung for murder for that. As was, he was merely forced to retire. Pro-Empire forces at home considered him a hero, yet he probably caused the beginning of the end of the Raj.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typical politician.What is the use of apology now?

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Colonel Dyer should have swung for murder for that. As was, he was merely forced to retire. Pro-Empire forces at home considered him a hero, yet he probably caused the beginning of the end of the Raj.
    I apologize for thinking that you were an apologist for the Raj.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mummad View Post
    Typical politician.What is the use of apology now?
    He is a good politician and knows the vote bank of the large population of sikhs in London can be his for a long time. Just like the LGBS

If you want to destroy a country, just create enmity between its people and their army - Salahuddin

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Bangalore, India (Kochi native)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even as a token symbolic gesture, I'd appreciate the UK making a kind of Apology for the Massacre. As children , studying Indian history , the massacre is the 'definitive' indicator of the tyranny of the british rule.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Out of interest, has any nation's govt made this sort of apology for massacres committed historically by their soldiers? Does it involve any sort of financial reparations? I am just wondering if that is a factor, or it's more about keeping face or not accepting the facts as reported.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Out of interest, has any nation's govt made this sort of apology for massacres committed historically by their soldiers? Does it involve any sort of financial reparations? I am just wondering if that is a factor, or it's more about keeping face or not accepting the facts as reported.
    Musharraf did that to BD
    Obama to Japan
    Canada apologized internally to other Canadian (such as natives and gays)

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I recommend reading Inglorious Empire: What the British Did to India.

Brilliant book which changed some of my views on the Raj.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    611 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    I apologize for thinking that you were an apologist for the Raj.

Fair enough.

All I said was that the Imperial Japanese would have been even worse than the Raj. That isn’t a defence of the Raj which was horrible.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    611 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    The British apologised to the Chinese for the Opium Wars and to Ireland for Bloody Sunday. It means giving a bit of ground in negotiations. It makes it easier for countries to sell trade deals or peace initiatives to their own people.