Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

London will remain open to talent from Pakistan: Sadiq Khan

Sadiq Khan - December 06, 2017

Iím proud to be the first-ever Mayor of London to be making an official visit to Pakistan. As someone of Pakistani heritage, I feel a deep affinity with the country and Iím looking forward to going back.

London and Pakistan share a long and unique history that has had a profound influence on shaping our respective societies, economies and cultures. I see my visit as an exciting opportunity to build on the ties that bind our cities and countries together for the mutual benefit of everyone ó Brits and Pakistanis, Londoners and Lahoris, EastEnders and Karachiites alike.

During my time in Pakistan, Iíll be visiting Lahore, Islamabad and Karachi to strengthen the links that exist between London and these great Pakistani cities. There is a huge amount we can learn from each other and Iím confident thereís scope for even greater collaboration in the years ahead.

By working together and sharing best practice, I believe London and Pakistanís cities can speed up innovation, boost economic growth and development, and tackle some of the major challenges we both face ó from air pollution and climate change, to good growth and jobs.

In the UK, Brexit (the decision of the UK to leave the EU) is still dominating our national debate. Iím sure there will be questions on my visit from politicians, business leaders and others about what Brexit means for the future of the British-Pakistani relationship. This is understandable given the concerns and uncertainty that have arisen in recent months. But my message to Pakistanis will be simple: despite Brexit, London will always remain open to the world and open to business and talent from Pakistan.

The Brexit vote shouldnít be interpreted as us turning our backs on the rest of the world or pulling up the drawbridge. London will still be one of the most welcoming, entrepreneurial, innovative and outward-looking places anywhere on the planet.

There are already incredible links ó built up over many decades ó between the people and businesses of Pakistan and those based in the UK and London, and there is now over £2.5 billion worth of trade between our countries. But I know we canít be complacent. Thatís why my aim is to ensure that London not only remains a top destination of choice for people from Pakistan, but that it becomes an even more attractive place to come to work, study or do business.

Many countries and cities are increasingly competing to trade with Pakistan and to access Pakistanís great pool of talented people. Of course, young Pakistanis donít have to leave their country to study or to build a successful business. But Iím determined to ensure that London remains open to talented people, wherever they come from. So Iím going to be spending as much time as possible in Pakistan persuading and reassuring people looking to go to university abroad ó as well as businessmen and women wishing to expand globally ó that they should look no further than London.

Londonís underlying strengths have not changed and the city I represent remains the best place in Europe to study and to build a global business. We have one of the worldís leading financial centres with a top-class legal expertise. We have the largest technology hub in Europe. And we have a fantastic pool of creative, talented people.

The success of London is largely because we have been able to attract such energetic and talented people, including many from Pakistan, over the years. My city is truly one of immigrants, where 40 per cent of our population was born outside the UK. This is why we value immigration, we appreciate its importance and we pride ourselves on being one of the most diverse and welcoming cities in the world.

Itís too early to say exactly what sort of immigration system will be introduced in the UK post-Brexit. But Iím lobbying the UK government hard to ensure that any future system is flexible and works for Pakistani nationals who want to work, do business or study in our city.

I want more Pakistanis to be able to follow in the footsteps of Mohammad Ali Jinnah and countless others who have had the opportunity to study at Britainís world-renowned universities. I believe the UK government has got it badly wrong on post-study work visas so Iím talking to British ministers and others to look at how we can implement a flexible migration system that works for Pakistani students, skilled workers and entrepreneurs alike.

My message to the people of Pakistan is that London will always be a city that is welcoming and accessible to you and looking to work together with your great cities. We face many shared challenges, but I believe we have a real opportunity to forge an even closer relationship that will help us all to prosper in the decades to come.

Iím grateful for the kind and gracious support from Pakistanis in arranging my visit ó and Iím looking forward to what I know will be an unforgettable and productive trip.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1374823/lo...pakistan-mayor

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about people without talent but can work hard?

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mummad View Post
    what you mean like yourself perhaps? lol

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mummad View Post
    London will need them more than the talented ones who take it easy.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Sadiq Khan also has this opinion piece in The News.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/252...cing-diversity

This week, I make history as the first-ever mayor of London to travel to Pakistan on an official visit. As someone of Pakistani heritage, this trip has a special significance. I am excited at the thought of being able to play my part in strengthening the bonds between both countries and the prospect of forming new and lasting partnerships between London and Pakistan’s great cities.

During my trip, I will be visiting Lahore, Karachi and Islamabad and meeting a host of businesspeople, entrepreneurs, government officials, cultural leaders, civil society members as well as ordinary Pakistanis. I’m passionate about deepening the relationships that we have across a wide range of areas – not just in the fields of business and commerce but across our cultural and creative industries too. Because whether it’s a love of fashion or football, cricket or Coke Studio, I know that we all have so much to gain from greater cultural exchange.

I also know there is a huge amount that we can learn from each other about how we tackle some of the shared challenges we face. By swapping ideas and sharing best practice, as well as insights and expertise, we can address the global problems of air pollution and climate change – and also ensure that our citizens have access to the clean, cheap and reliable sources of energy that we need to power our cities and our homes. Moreover, we can make sure that our citizens are given the infrastructure and the opportunities they need to fulfil their potential and live happy, healthy and prosperous lives.

By working together, we can also speed up innovation and boost economic growth to the benefit of Brits and Pakistanis, Londoners and Lahoris, Cockneys and Karachiites alike. Indeed, Pakistan and the UK already enjoy strong business ties. In 2015, our bilateral trade was worth more than £2.5 billion a year and London is investing more in Pakistan than any other global city apart from Dubai and Beijing. Yet, I believe there is enormous scope to expand these links and increase the levels of trade and investment between us.

Following the Brexit vote, there has been concern expressed in some quarters that my country might be preparing to turn its back on the rest of the world or pull up the drawbridge. I’m here to say that as far as London is concerned nothing could be further from the truth. Our city remains open and the best place in the world to do business. Our underlying strengths – such as our highly-educated workforce, cosmopolitan culture, thriving tech sector, world-class universities and respected legal and financial institutions – remain intact, regardless of the EU referendum result. And, as mayor, I’m doing everything I can to continue London’s long tradition of being open and welcoming to people from around the world who wish to do business in our city.

Unlike other politicians and heads of state who visit Pakistan, I’m not only interested in drumming up new business. I’m also keen to promote London as a destination for Pakistanis to work, visit and study. Last week I had the honour of unveiling a bust of Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah with the high commissioner of Pakistan. The founder of Pakistan studied in London where he qualified as a barrister. For centuries, London has been so successful because we’ve been able to attract the brightest and best from around the world, including thousands of talented Pakistanis. Today, 40 percent of London’s population was born outside the UK. So, we value immigration and appreciate its importance to our society, economy and culture.

We also pride ourselves on being one of the most progressive and diverse cities in the world. London is a city that embraces people of all faiths, nationalities and backgrounds. This is clear for all to see, not only from the fact that Londoners elected me – a Muslim – as their mayor, but also from the fact that in the historic location of Trafalgar Square, we celebrate Eid, Vaisakhi, Diwali, Chanukah and many more festivals each year.

So my main message on this trip is not only that London is open to new commercial partnerships and business ventures, but it’s also open to new cultural connections and collaborations, as well as to the Pakistani people themselves – whether you’re a businessperson, an entrepreneur, a student or a tourist.

I know our countries and our cities face many shared challenges but I believe by forging a closer relationship – underpinned by our businesses, culture and people – we can reap the rewards in the years to come and look ahead to a brighter future.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...s-bbc-reporter

Pakistan? No, home is south London, Sadiq Khan tells BBC reporter

Sadiq Khan had a quick response when asked by a BBC reporter whether his visit to Pakistan was “like coming home”, replying: “No, home is south London, mate.”

The mayor of London, on a visit to Pakistan and India, smiled when asked the question but was keen to set the record straight.

Khan’s parents moved from Pakistan to England in the 1960s, and while standing for mayor he frequently referenced his south London upbringing and in particular the fact that his father drove a number 44 bus.

He grew up in Tooting and was elected as the area’s MP in 2005. But the BBC reporter Karl Mercer asked Khan as he crossed over the border from India into Pakistan: “Does it feel like coming home?”

After making clear that was not what he was doing, the mayor elaborated on his emotional connection to the region. “It’s good to be in Pakistan, it’s good to come from India, home of my parents and grandparents. Obviously there’s an emotional connection for me, bearing in mind my connections to this great part of the world.”

Khan became the first Muslim mayor of an EU capital city when he was elected in 2016, having fended off attempts by the Conservative campaign – widely discredited and criticised – to link him to Islamic extremists. Labour claimed the attacks on Khan were dog-whistle racism.

His public profile and popularity have led to him being spoken of as a possible future Labour leader, but while in Pakistan he ruled out that prospect. Khan told ITV: “I never had ambitions in the first place and I’ve got no ambitions now. I love being the mayor. Why give up a job I love to do a job I don’t want? I’m absolutely ruling myself out. Forever.”

Defending Mercer’s question, a BBC spokesman said: “Our reporter asked the mayor a question in the context of the trip being referred to by senior politicians in the region as a homecoming. The full answer the mayor gave shows he understood the context of the question.”

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Looks like the author here wasted his time writing an article about something that didn't happen... Sadiq Khan wasn't asked if he feels at home.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice try with the Urdu.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post

Nice try with the Urdu.
    Woah - that's a weird accent.