Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    688 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

England name ODI squad for Australia series - Ben Stokes and Alex Hales included

England selectors have announced a 16-man squad for the five-match ODI series versus Australia starting in January.

Kent batsman Sam Billings and Durham seamer Mark Wood are added to the squad that defeated West Indies (4-0) in England at the end of the summer. The first ODI will be at the MCG on Sunday January 14.

Selectors were given clear guidance to name their strongest squad and have made their selections accordingly. Both Alex Hales and Ben Stokes are included, though their involvement remains subject to any relevant legal or disciplinary developments in relation to the incident in Bristol in September.

The ECB Board has agreed that Alex Hales is available for team selection at this stage. This follows Police confirmation that he will face no charges and the independent Cricket Discipline Commission staying its disciplinary process.

Should the ECB Board receive formal confirmation that Ben Stokes has either been charged or that he will face no charges, they would convene within 48 hours to make a decision on his availability for the team at that stage.

National selector, James Whitaker, said:

“With around 18 months to the start of the 2019 World Cup, our ODI side continues to make solid progress with series wins over the West Indies and South Africa last summer and a semi-final berth in the Champions Trophy.

“The forthcoming series against Australia presents another significant opportunity for this group to showcase their skills and talent against a quality side away from home.

“The core group of the squad have been involved at this level for at least the past two years and that consistency of selection has enabled us to build a cohesive squad that is playing some entertaining and winning cricket.

“I would like to wish captain Eoin Morgan, head coach Trevor Bayliss and the players every success during the series.”

Schedule - Gillette ODI Series

1st ODI - Sunday January 14 vs Australia, Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne (2.20pm local time)

2nd ODI - Friday January 19 vs Australia, Gabba, Brisbane (1.20pm local time)

3rd ODI - Sunday January 21 vs Australia, Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney (2.20pm local time)

4th ODI - Friday January 26 vs Australia, Adelaide Oval, Adelaide (1.50pm local time)

5th ODI - Sunday January 28 vs Australia, Optus Stadium, Perth (11.20am local time)

ENGLAND SQUAD: Eoin Morgan (c), Moeen Ali, Jonny Bairstow, Jake Ball, Sam Billings, Jos Buttler, Tom Curran, Alex Hales, Liam Plunkett, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, David Willey, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/531552

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Presumably all of Root, Bairstow, Moeen and Woakes will be rested for the t20 tri-series with New Zealand then.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Pathetic joke of an organisation. Shame on you ECB. Shame on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It was always likely that Stokes would return to the side if he was going to be punished criminally.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    It was always likely that Stokes would return to the side if he was going to be punished criminally.
    Yeah. That jokers at the ECB have been preparing this from the start.

And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Yeah. That jokers at the ECB have been preparing this from the start.
    Yep. Seems as though he was always going to be in the side. Although I thought he would return for the English summer. But desperate times call for desperate measures.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Simply out of curiosity, what was your view on Warners 2 ODI suspension after smacking Root back in 2013?

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not too surprised. The ODI series after the ashes has usually been inconsequential, and when arguably England's most exciting player is out of the side, even less important to fans. Stokes inclusion might gain a bit more attention to them, people will be tempted to watch the LOI series as they didn't get to see Stokes in test.

Plus easier to introduce him slowly into the side in some ODIs rather than right in the middle of a test series where it will create too much focus/criticism of the board and Stokes.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ads101 View Post
    I'm not too surprised. The ODI series after the ashes has usually been inconsequential, and when arguably England's most exciting player is out of the side, even less important to fans. Stokes inclusion might gain a bit more attention to them, people will be tempted to watch the LOI series as they didn't get to see Stokes in test.

Plus easier to introduce him slowly into the side in some ODIs rather than right in the middle of a test series where it will create too much focus/criticism of the board and Stokes.
    Stuff the fans. A guy like Pattinson missing the Ashes through injury is the fans getting robbed.
    Stokes missing because he is a violent thug who bashes people is the sport having credibility.

He needs an actual punishment from the ECB.

Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    Simply out of curiosity, what was your view on Warners 2 ODI suspension after smacking Root back in 2013?
    Deserved.

And much, much, much less serious than Stokes who was lucky not to have killed a bloke who was backing away.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the Stokes case I am proud that the PCB fought for Amir and Yasir

Organisations like ECB cannot flourish if they do not support their players

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Deserved.

And much, much, much less serious than Stokes who was lucky not to have killed a bloke who was backing away.
    So if you consider 2 ODIs as a suitable punishment for physically assaulting the opposition what do you consider a suitable punishment for Stokes?

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    This was always on the cards. ECB was trying to cover it up but we all know that they were waiting to get Stokes back into the team.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    So if you consider 2 ODIs as a suitable punishment for physically assaulting the opposition what do you consider a suitable punishment for Stokes?
    Warner got a two test suspension for a single minor punch thrown with minimal force.
    This was a reasonable suspension.

Stokes threw about 14-15 punches with more force at a guy who was backing away, fractured the mans face and is fortunate to not be facing manslaughter charges because the fact that the guy didn't fall and crack his skull on the ground and die was a matter of luck and not from anything Stokes did to prevent it.

Should get at least six months and be forced to undertake alcohol and anger counselling.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Warner got a two test suspension for a single minor punch thrown with minimal force.
    His suspension finished before those 2 Ashes tests where he was simply not picked and sent to play for Aus A to regain some match form instead.
    Last edited by HitWicket; 7th December 2017 at 01:05.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    His suspension finished before those 2 Ashes tests where he was simply not picked and sent to play for Aus A to regain some match form instead.
    Looking it up and you were correct. In that case the suspension was inadequate.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Better not hear ECB trying to take the moral high ground again.

This is straight out of the PCB's handbook.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Disappointing. In my view the ulterior motive for this is gauging the public reaction. If they think they can get away with it then he will play 1 or 2 of the Tests as well.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    In all fairness Stokes is to be considered innocent until proven guilty, I mean that's what most here believe, don't they?.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    In all fairness Stokes is to be considered innocent until proven guilty, I mean that's what most here believe, don't they?.
    Nope. In terms of criminal proceedings he should be allowed the presumption of innocence.

In terms of cricket no and in any case he has at no point disputed that he is the individual in the video and provided an explanation that justifies the end of said video.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Nope. In terms of criminal proceedings he should be allowed the presumption of innocence.

In terms of cricket no and in any case he has at no point disputed that he is the individual in the video and provided an explanation that justifies the end of said video.
    Did anyone from cricket do an investigation into this?.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Did anyone from cricket do an investigation into this?.
    Given the ECB is already selecting him in squads one should hope they investigated it thoroughly and can provide an adequate explanation for why they think such a minor suspension is warranted.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Given the ECB is already selecting him in squads one should hope they investigated it thoroughly and can provide an adequate explanation for why they think such a minor suspension is warranted.
    Explain to who and why?.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Stokes threw about 14-15 punches with more force at a guy who was backing away, fractured the mans face and is fortunate to not be facing manslaughter charges because the fact that the guy didn't fall and crack his skull on the ground and die was a matter of luck and not from anything Stokes did to prevent it.

Should get at least six months and be forced to undertake alcohol and anger counselling.

Looking at the footage again, I’m struggling to see what Stokes did wrong.

Someone tries to bottle him. He is outnumbered and may be in fear of his life. He decks the bloke with the bottle, it goes to the ground and two more jump on him. He gets to his feet, one comes onto him again, he is surrounded but he drives them off.

It looks like self-defence to me. I think a lot of potential jurors are likely to see it that way so I doubt this will go to court.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post

Someone tries to bottle him. He is outnumbered and may be in fear of his life. He decks the bloke with the bottle, it goes to the ground and two more jump on him. He gets to his feet, one comes onto him again, he is surrounded but he drives them off.

It looks like self-defence to me. I think a lot of potential jurors are likely to see it that way so I doubt this will go to court.
    You must have a different version that everyone else watched, firstly Ben was not in the original fight, he pushed his way into two men having a spat and then started throwing punches. The others did not jump him they were trying to stop him from beating the guy on the ground by pulling him away. No one was throwing punches at Ben. He had every chance to walk away if he was fearing for his safety. He may get off and get away with it but dont insult others intelligence by suggesting he was defending himself. Also he is so drunk his thinking would be impaired.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    You must have a different version that everyone else watched, firstly Ben was not in the original fight, he pushed his way into two men having a spat and then started throwing punches. The others did not jump him they were trying to stop him from beating the guy on the ground by pulling him away. No one was throwing punches at Ben. He had every chance to walk away if he was fearing for his safety. He may get off and get away with it but dont insult others intelligence by suggesting he was defending himself. Also he is so drunk his thinking would be impaired.
    You would just walk away if someone tried to bottle you?

You don’t know what he had to drink.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

No one tried to bottle him, just in case you are wondering the guy who is trying to pull Stokes off the guy on the ground and pulling him away telling him to calm down is Ryan Ali who is Stokes friend. And yes I do know he was drunk, maybe you don't but everyone else does.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So happy to see Stokes back in the squad. Great courage shown by the ECB when the world seemed to be conspiring against the greatest all rounder of this generation, who happens to be a great boxer as well.

Now if we could see Stokes included in the test squad as well, would be the perfect icing on the cake. Go ECB go

P.S: Not to forget, how dramatically this would life the morale of the touring team, who would now feel secure against the likes of Warner & other Aussie blokes with Ben around them, when the visit those Aussie bars between the matches.

The day d last tree died, d last river poisond & d last fish caught,we'll realize we can't eat money

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

He went after the bloke who didn't have the bottle and continued going after him while the other guy was backing away.
    And that is because ever juror with half a brain knows that footage wasn't self defence.
    And noticeably Stokes and the ECB haven't tried this bogus self defence angle instead going for the protecting the gays angle.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Almere, Netherlands
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what if he was drinking? It is his choice to drink and he should face the consequences.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    No one tried to bottle him, just in case you are wondering the guy who is trying to pull Stokes off the guy on the ground and pulling him away telling him to calm down is Ryan Ali who is Stokes friend. And yes I do know he was drunk, maybe you don't but everyone else does.
    Oh, were you and everyone else there? Did you all give the Police a statement?

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He went after the bloke who didn't have the bottle and continued going after him while the other guy was backing away.
    And that is because ever juror with half a brain knows that footage wasn't self defence.
    And noticeably Stokes and the ECB haven't tried this bogus self defence angle instead going for the protecting the gays angle.
    The ECB hasn’t got any angle at this time. They are waiting to see what the CPS says before commenting.

He was in a dark alley, someone was using a bottle as a weapon, he didn’t know who, he was surrounded and he fought his way out and escaped. I’m playing Devil’s Advocate but a lot of people will see it this way, your value judgement on their brains notwithstanding.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    If Pakistan can have previous match-fixers in their team, why cant England include Stokes?

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    The ECB hasn’t got any angle at this time. They are waiting to see what the CPS says before commenting.

He was in a dark alley, someone was using a bottle as a weapon, he didn’t know who, he was surrounded and he fought his way out and escaped. I’m playing Devil’s Advocate but a lot of people will see it this way, your value judgement on their brains notwithstanding.
    Yeah nah. Only people desperately trying to get him off because cricket is more important than ethics would see it that way.

The ECB absolutely has an angle.
    @MenInG
    The difference between previous match-fixers is that Amir and co have actually served their time.