User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

"Concerned about long term effects of dispute on cricket relations between Ind/Pak" : Ehsan Mani

Mani also felt that N Srinivasan had a significant role to play in India not resuming bilateral cricket ties with Pakistan.

Former ICC president Ehsan Mani feels PCB’s decision to file a compensation claim against the BCCI will lead to bad blood and impact future cricket relations between the two nations.

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has filed a compensation claim of $ 70 million against Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) before the ICC for not honouring a bilateral cricket series agreement.

“I have concerns about the consequences of this case whatever its outcome. What I am concerned about is the affect it is going to have on cricket relations between the two countries in the long run,” Mani said on a private channel.

“I just think all avenues of talks, discussions and back door diplomacy were not explored by the PCB before going ahead with its compensation claim in the ICC.

“I would have waited and first exhausted all options of trying to get something out of India for them not playing bilateral ties with Pakistan before opting for the compensation claim option,” he added.

Mani, who served as ICC president between 2003-2006, said even if Pakistan won its compensation claim what guarantee is there India would agree to pay out the amount.

“Say if Pakistan is successful in its compensation claim what happens if India holds back the money. Then Pakistan has to go to the ICC board and it will not help relations between both countries,” he said.

Mani said even though there was a clause that said the Disputes Resolution Committee’s decision was binding on both parties and could not be challenged in any other forum, but when it came to money things often get ugly.

“If India holds back on payment what does Pakistan do, does it ask the ICC to deduct India’s share of revenues from ICC events? Can the ICC do that?”

Mani said Pakistan would have filed the compensation claim after going through all legal aspects and there is a clause in the ICC constitution which said no government interference is tolerated in any member board’s affairs.

“India says it is not getting government clearance to play Pakistan and that clause will than become important in this case. But overall I think there will be bad blood and feelings and it will impact future cricket relations between the two,” he said.

Mani also felt that former BCCI president and ICC Chairman N Srinivasan had a significant role to play in India not resuming bilateral cricket ties with Pakistan.

“He was not good news when he was there at helm of affairs. He was anti-Pakistan and in his tenure all chances of India taking initiative to get government clearance to play regular bilateral cricket with Pakistan were non-existent.”

Mani said that India had become a difficult member to deal with in the ICC due to its stubbornness but felt that this was also because they were weak officials in the world body.

“India does contribute significantly to the ICC revenues but I don’t buy this 70 percent talk. The bottom line is ICC failed itself by not exploring the markets of USA and China.

“Even today there just has to be the right moves made to make India realize that it can’t operate independently in world cricket.”

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricke...le21288284.ece

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Very sensible stuff from Mani as usual. This is the problem sometimes when you have politicians in charge as they think about scoring points in the short-term

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

Mani said that India had become a difficult member to deal with in the ICC due to its stubbornness but felt that this was also because they were weak officials in the world body.

“India does contribute significantly to the ICC revenues but I don’t buy this 70 percent talk. The bottom line is ICC failed itself by not exploring the markets of USA and China.

“Even today there just has to be the right moves made to make India realize that it can’t operate independently in world cricket.”

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricke...le21288284.ece
    Wasn't he one of them?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    I think he is right about the fact that not all diplomatic venues were explored and there was a lot of public posturing. PCB now have to win this but what then?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Easier to talk then to actually do things. Ehsan Mani did nothing for Pakistan Cricket when he was the ICC President so don't really take him seriously. Sethi atleast backs his talk with actions.

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan should have exhausted all avenues? I think they explored everything that was necessary but BCCI would still not budget and as far as relations go, it can't get any worse between the two boards and that's why the PCB decided to go ahead with it, after all what do they have to lose?

Can't see india voluntarily agreeing to play with Pakistan.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He was on TV last year questioning why Sheheryar Khan went ‘begging’ to India to salvage our home series.
    Rent-a-quote as usual

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Part of the problem is that PCB has not developed effective partners among the full members. With India, the lure is easy-an India tour means mountains of money, which is why everyone wants one.
    Pakistan also has to rely on good will, rather than just money. Doing an SA tour this month would have been a huge plus. Pakistan is a good team and there would have been an attraction.
    The other thing is that Pakistan has previously shown itself as an effective developer of Associate and Affiliate teams. They helped the Afghans in the '00 until India co-opted the relationship post 2012. They regularly toured Sri Lanka in the 70s, which helped them on their way to getting Full Member status.
    So what's the next step? It's time to start building allies that can't so easily be paid off by Indian money. Pakistan is so close with China-why not help China and Hong Kong develop in the cricketing arena? Chinese love sports and while it would take several years to develop quality players, China has the money to build up infrastructure quickly. All these Chinese people are visiting Pakistan to work on CPEC-why is nothing being done about this? the Afghans learned cricket as refugees-surely the Chinese could learn to enjoy it as businessmen. It would also be the first non-Commonwealth country to embrace cricket. China's not all that great at soccer, so building it up as a new cricketing country, particularly with 2 billion people, basically makes cricket the #1 sport in the world.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Mani also felt that N Srinivasan had a significant role to play in India not resuming bilateral cricket ties with Pakistan.
    BCCI has everything to gain by playing Pakistan. It will make pots of money, and the Indian team (especially the Test team) will overwhelm the Pakistani team. More money is definitely high in the list of BCCI priorities. It is the Indian government that has taken the position that bilateral series are not to be allowed given the low level war between the two countries with actual human casualties. I do not wish to debate the pros and cons of the Indian government position, I am stating as a fact that the Indian government rather than BCCI is the reason for no bilateral series.

Quite delusional to think revenues from USA and China can replace India.

This is currently true, but if the IPL keeps growing the way it has, then in a decade it won't be true anymore.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The fact that Mr Mani thinks that the PCB has not tried all avenues before resorting to the legal route vis a vis the BCCI clearly shows how deluded and partial he is vis a vis with the PCB just like any ex-chairman would tend to be.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Dublin
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apart from the money, does it really matter? Pakistan is doing fine without India; I would guess that most neutrals would prefer to watch Pakistan than India because they are a more entertaining side (I would make a poll if I knew how).

Kohli's India lacks soul and character.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    His point is simply about looking beyond this claim thing which tbh isnt going anywhere.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From PCBs perspective they are right to claim for compensation as I don't see these two teams playing in forseeable future.

From BCCIs perspective, they don't have anything to worry about as PCB has a weak case.

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Mani said Pakistan would have filed the compensation claim after going through all legal aspects and there is a clause in the ICC constitution which said no government interference is tolerated in any member board’s affairs.
    Read more at http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?267385-quot-Concerned-about-long-term-effects-of-dispute-on-cricket-relations-between-Ind-Pak-quot-Ehsan-Mani#eiGPjhMpHv3pp2m5.99"

This clause means nothing when we look at scenarios where in some case ministers have to approve team selections and Board presidents are appointed by the Government (not to mention Patron In chiefs). So if Mr. Mani is depending on this clause to make his case strong then one could only come to a conclusion that either his patriotism has blinded logic or he is naive..

The PCB is right to feel aggrieved and the BCCI cannot go against its own government. Unfortunately the only solution I see is for things to improve between the Governments. Otherwise we can all beat around the bush, but nothing is going to happen.
    Last edited by hadi123; 8th December 2017 at 16:59.

Win or lose - it is Team INDIA I choose...