Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ashes 2017: England have left 'scars' on Australia, says Trevor Bayliss

England coach Trevor Bayliss says his team left "a few scars" on Australia in the Adelaide Test, suggesting the home side's second innings batting performance will have some players feeling "nervous". The fighting talk came after England slumped to a crushing 120-run defeat in the second Ashes Test at Adelaide, leaving the tourists trailing 2-0 and on the verge of losing the five-Test series. Despite succumbing again, Bayliss was upbeat about his bowlers skittling Australia for 138 in the second innings, leaving England with a chance of chasing down a record 354-run victory target.

"We have got a few scars there with the Australian team," he told the BBC.

"There will be a few who have missed out and a few who will be nervous."

"They've got four good bowlers and we've shown we can compete with them for a period of time. We've just got to do it for longer."

Captain Joe Root was also positive after the game, saying England were "still massively" in the Ashes series. This is despite England not beating Australia at Perth's WACA Ground since 1978, where the third Test starts next week.

"We've shown throughout the two Tests in periods we can out-perform Australia, but just not over five days," said Root, who scored 67 in the second innings run chase but failed to stay at the crease long enough to give his side a realistic shot at winning.

"If we can perform to our ability for longer periods of time we'll win games. The belief in dressing room is definitely there."

Bayliss said the team played well in final days of the Adelaide day-night Test, but they needed to make more than 220 runs in an innings to stand a chance in Perth. "If we do that well we can put more pressure on Australia than we did on this match," he said.

Australia head into the third Test with allrounder Mitch Marsh recalled to the squad, with the home side conscious of protecting star fast bowlers Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins with the series still alive and three Tests remaining.

Marsh, brother of Adelaide Test centurion Shaun Marsh, last played a Test on Australia's tour of India in March and required a full shoulder reconstruction after an injury in the Bangalore Test.

But he is confident he can contribute if selected, with middle-order batsman Peter Handscomb likely to be dropped if Australia opt for Marsh.

"As an allrounder in the Australian team with our attack I'm obviously not going to be bowling 30 to 40 overs a game," he said.

"But I've worked hard over the last eight months to get my body into a position where I'm now playing again as an allrounder so that's really exciting."

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/ashe...ayliss-1784891

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha good one Trevor ....

Pakistani batsmen - An endangered species?

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Bayliss has been clueless as coach and these statements don't help my impression of him. I've seen little improvement in the Test team since he's taken over. The batting remains flimsy whilst the bowling is impotent when there's no lateral movement on offer.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    hunh?? is he living in the twilight zone or an alternate reality where england are winning two nil?

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok Trevor

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    This is like when your mommy slaps you with her slippers and your daddy is beating you with a big danda, then after the beating you leave the room with your chest out as if to say the punishment never really affected you.....but then when no one is watching you cry like a baby in the corner of your room. Basically my interpretation of Bayliss's comments.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Apply Churchill’s Law here Trev - when in a hole, stop digging.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Bayliss is right this rapid progress by England will make them win
    6th Ashes test

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    England left scars on Australia with their seventh Test loss in a row in Australia.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Haha.

Misbah started the destruction of England in 2015 now Smith will finish it.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Eng is good when it comes to making others laugh.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff .Bayliss is doing great,embarrassing himself and his team.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    NB, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Apparently this guy doesn't even watch any of England's huge domestic leagues and performers, no wonder the test team is in shambles.

Babar Azam: Runs 8032, Average 44, Top Score: 204, Fav fan: CricFan2012

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This sounds like the last rites of a mediocre coaching career slowly spinning out. England will lose 4-1 or 5-0 and Trevor will be a goner. If an England coach even survives a tour of Australia, then historically speaking he has done quite well.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    scars or no scars - Aus were a superior team in all facets of the game.

England will have to play out of their skins to salvage anything out of this series.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    825 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    This is like when your mommy slaps you with her slippers and your daddy is beating you with a big danda, then after the beating you leave the room with your chest out as if to say the punishment never really affected you.....but then when no one is watching you cry like a baby in the corner of your room. Basically my interpretation of Bayliss's comments.

lol...touche.

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this instance, it's like getting a beating from your parents then telling everyone how you left scars on them by taking the beating.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ECB are great at delusion and scapegoats. KP was the scapegoat last time, I don't think it'll be Bayliss this time because of his contribution to turning England around as an ODI side.

Bayliss is a strange coach. He doesn't watch county cricket and has no idea who comes in to the side. Not sure how ECB haven't made that his 'homework.'

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is like when your mommy slaps you with her slippers and your daddy is beating you with a big danda, then after the beating you leave the room with your chest out as if to say the punishment never really affected you.....but then when no one is watching you cry like a baby in the corner of your room. Basically my interpretation of bayliss's comments.
    potw😂😂

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe they said that. This is positivism and optimism taken to a whole new level.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    797 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Moral victory 2.0.

2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefthanded View Post
    ECB are great at delusion and scapegoats. KP the scapegoat last time, I don't think it'll be Bayliss this time because of his contribution to turning England around as an ODI side.

Bayliss is a strange coach. He doesn't watch county cricket and has no idea who comes in to the side. Not sure how ECB haven't made that his 'homework.'
    Pretty sure this comments been overblown from shortly after he became coach. He's regularly been at county games in long enough breaks between England games in the summer and he'll have access to watch every single ball bowled in county cricket online which arguably is even better than watching live at the ground.
    Last edited by HitWicket; 9th December 2017 at 02:47.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The same way a mosquito leaves a scar on your arm before you kill it

Kuch to log kahenge
    Logon ka kaam hai kehna

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    The same way a mosquito leaves a scar on your arm before you kill it
    He is not wrong actually - he just misquoted few words. Should have said - "ENG have left scar on one Aussie"

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Australia are BROKEN.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Q View Post
    I can't believe they said that. This is positivism and optimism taken to a whole new level.
    They'll take pride in those scars when catching the flight home after 0-5.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aman View Post
    They'll take pride in those scars when catching the flight home after 0-5.
    The superiority complex of the Englishmen is unbelievable lol. You can see it even in the articles they write. Some of them are apparently still living in the British empire where the sun never sets .

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    Pretty sure this comments been overblown from shortly after he became coach. He's regularly been at county games in long enough breaks between England games in the summer and he'll have access to watch every single ball bowled in county cricket online which arguably is even better than watching live at the ground.
    My understanding of this comes from George Dobell's regularly whinging about Bayliss not watching county cricket. I'm sure of that, but may be remembering wrong that Bayliss himself confirmed it in a press conference.

Dobell doesn't like Bayliss, so maybe Bayliss does keep up with county cricket as much as he can.

My issue with Bayliss is that I'm not sure how he's improved the Test team at all since his arrival. Maybe it's worse, but I mostly blame the cricketers themselves.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    My understanding of this comes from George Dobell's regularly whinging about Bayliss not watching county cricket. I'm sure of that, but may be remembering wrong that Bayliss himself confirmed it in a press conference.

Dobell doesn't like Bayliss, so maybe Bayliss does keep up with county cricket as much as he can.

My issue with Bayliss is that I'm not sure how he's improved the Test team at all since his arrival. Maybe it's worse, but I mostly blame the cricketers themselves.
    Even if Bayliss is watching county cricket, he's doing a poor job of identifying talent. What did Bayliss see in James Vince's county form (avg of 33 this season) for him to merit a recall ?

Why persist with TTF Gary Ballance ? He's England's only backup batsman in the squad so if he's comes in at the WACA - its ANOTHER leftie for Nathan Lyon to bowl at ! What did Dawid Malan do to earn a Test cap given his reputation as a limited overs batsman and modest county returns ?

Obviously the selectors must be held accountable too but under Bayliss we seem content to be tigers at home and frightened cats away. The batting order has been in flux for 2.5 years with Bairstow continuing to be wasted down the order.

I get England have been unfortunate with injuries to all their genuine quicks like Wood, Plunkett, Helm, J Overton and Porter. The dearth of English quicks in general is a long-term problem partly due to wider issues with England's development programmes and the Loughborough system which aren't nurturing pace bowlers; a discussion for another thread and that's beyond Bayliss's control.

But even with the "controllables" Bayliss has failed. The catching is dire (Vince and Cook clangjng heads like some Laurel and Hardy skit at Adelaide to drop Shaun Marsh summed it up) and more worryingly, discipline is breaking down under his watch.

England's LOI fortunes were always going to improve once they selected the right talents, which Paul Farbrace actually presided over, but the Test team is regressing. Time to say ta-ra to Trevor.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I feel like Bayliss made comments about not having watched much county cricket when he was only a short time into the job (which is understandable really) which the media such as Dobell have latched on to and not let go of now quite a while later as a way of unfairly degrading him (even if other criticism is valid).

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    More like you've left a paper cut mark on them

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Even if Bayliss is watching county cricket, he's doing a poor job of identifying talent. What did Bayliss see in James Vince's county form (avg of 33 this season) for him to merit a recall ?

Why persist with TTF Gary Ballance ? He's England's only backup batsman in the squad so if he's comes in at the WACA - its ANOTHER leftie for Nathan Lyon to bowl at ! What did Dawid Malan do to earn a Test cap given his reputation as a limited overs batsman and modest county returns ?
    Your rant is very similar to mine on this.

Your question may have been a rhetorical one, but that's exactly it. Bayliss is a white ball cricket man, and he's picking on white ball form and lookin' good. Not on county cricket average and current form. Or average in 7 Tests prior.
    Last edited by Lefthanded; 9th December 2017 at 17:45.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    I feel like Bayliss made comments about not having watched much county cricket when he was only a short time into the job (which is understandable really) which the media such as Dobell have latched on to and not let go of now quite a while later as a way of unfairly degrading him (even if other criticism is valid).
    That may have been it.

Even so, I hope once he accomplishes that, he can take a look a player's county record before cheerleading him.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Only thing England have left - are their brains back home in England.

No discipline and some awful cricket.