Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    695 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

'Pakistan to send astronauts into space in two years'

Air Chief Marshal Sohail Aman has announced that Pakistan will be able to send astronauts into space with the collaboration of China in the next two years.

He was addressing the inauguration session of AirTech’17 conference, hosted by Air University in Islamabad on Thursday, according to a statement issued by Pakistan Air force (PAF).

AirTech’17 is the country’s largest technical and scientific Olympiad, being held at the main campus of Air University from December 7 to 10.

The air chief disclosed that Pakistan was currently working to manufacture next generation aircraft with the support of Chinese experts, adding that China was also providing technical support to Pakistan for launching the satellite programme.

Pakistan annually manufactures 16 to 20 JF-17 aircraft, which are much better than F-16 planes in performance, said Aman.

Commenting over importance of national defence, he said Pakistan was on right track to curb terrorism and emphasised that security, stability and prosperity were interlinked in today’s world.

The air chief, in his keynote address on “Leadership, Education & Society Development”, said the purpose of an education system must be to introduce latest technologies and contribute something positive for the betterment of society as a whole.

He also urged the importance of industry-academia cooperation.

“No doubt, Pakistani students are talented, intelligent and hard-working but to achieve success in life goals, unconditional faith, firm commitment and tireless struggle are essential,” he emphasised.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1578535...ace-two-years/

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    611 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Zindabad!!!

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I wonder if the real headline should be "China to send Pakistan astronauts into space in two years".

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I wonder if the real headline should be "China to send Pakistan astronauts into space in two years".
    Its a start nevertheless.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Zindabad!!!
    Hell yeah!

"Be the best version of yourself"

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Singapore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    US also uses Russian rockets to send people to space now days so not that big a deal.

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought"-JFK

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nawaz Shariif will be our first astronaut in space

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    They'll run out of food before reaching space.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Macclesfield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply get them on International Space Station if the sole reason is to get Pakistani astronauts in space.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a similar deal to Rakesh Sharma being sent up as a 'cosmonaut' by the Soviets some decades back.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Will this be called First Muslim in space?

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    Will this be called First Muslim in space?
    Already been there, done that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Muslim_astronauts

The first of them was obviously a member of the al-Saud family.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Already been there, done that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Muslim_astronauts

The first of them was obviously a member of the al-Saud family.
    Afghans already did it

Almost a Dozen Muslims already in space.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    wait I'm sure we have had pakistanis in space already? can somebody confirm?

Can we please send baby bhutto up there too? perhaps the Chinese can find a permanent place for him in the chinese space station.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I think Nawaz's bullet train pledges from a decade ago were more exciting to be honest.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the role of the Pakistani space agency? It's a good move nonetheless. Developing countries cannot be left behind in the space race

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    They'll run out of food before reaching space.
    Epic

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What's so good about the space race?

Honestly what can be gained

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finalfantasy7 View Post

You can look like scientific superstars while the vast majority of your nation lives in squalor. At least that applies for the subcontinent.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weather prediction, navigation systems, communication lines. It's a niche area you don't invest now or get left behind much like the industrial revolution

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    You can look like scientific superstars while the vast majority of your nation lives in squalor. At least that applies for the subcontinent.
    Alternatively, you can collect crucial data on climate patterns to supplement and improve agricultural output in the region, the sector which employs the most number of people in the part of the world you speak of. But having waved the white flag on the farms to explore other pastures using a sub-sonic flight, your ambitions are understandably far lower.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Singapore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A lot of the advance tech we use today is because of space race and the billions us and ussr spent on it. Earth's resources are finite so mining resources from space or tech to be able to live and survive on mars can be used to live and survive on earth when we have destroyed it.

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought"-JFK

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GBK_Fan View Post
    What's the role of the Pakistani space agency? It's a good move nonetheless. Developing countries cannot be left behind in the space race
    Eat money.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Alternatively, you can collect crucial data on climate patterns to supplement and improve agricultural output in the region, the sector which employs the most number of people in the part of the world you speak of. But having waved the white flag on the farms to explore other pastures using a sub-sonic flight, your ambitions are understandably far lower.
    I was born in the UK so your analogy is redundant. But I am pleased that the quality of life here is good for the general populace first so when we shoot people into space we can feel that the population can cheerily support it.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Space pushes the boundaries when it comes to technological innovation and advancement which is of great benefit on Earth as well, people are so damn ignorant. They don't just go up there to float about, beyond exploration it's also important to perform important experiments.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very ignorant comment, unlikely to come come from someone who has had decent education.

Space research tests the ultimate boundaries of science and is responsible for many of the most important innovations known to Man. For starters weather and natural disaster prediction has gone a long way into preventing mass causalities. While it cannot be fully subverted, early action in relocating population and planning effectively is reliant on satellite technology which would be absent without space research.

The list of innovations stemming from space research is huge, telecommunications, solar power, material technology, infra red, sensors, heat resistance, battery evolution, food preservation, structural engineering......one can go on.

China's mastery of quantum science or India's progress made in weather prediction and disaster management, are results of their focus on space science and also goes to show it is no more simply in the periphery of so-called 'developed' nations. Rest assured UK is far behind both space agencies, albeit this is of no consequence to an average Daily-Mail reader and unsurprisingly so!

The Air Chief Marshall's comments are commendable and the focus on science is very important for any nation's progress.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

This was published in the New York Times, not the Daily Mail FYI. Some may find it offensive, I feel it is important to set the tone for context. It's not necessary to take offence at everything, we should be comfortable enough in our own skins to ponder where it is coming from.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was published in the New York Times, not the Daily Mail FYI. Some may find it offensive, I feel it is important to set the tone for context. It's not necessary to take offence at everything, we should be comfortable enough in our own skins to ponder where it is coming from.

It is a very true and honest cartoon. India was denied cryogenic technology by the way of sanctions in the 90s, and spend close to two decades perfecting it themselves. Or Mao declared in 1957 that China would launch their own satellite in 2 years, but no one helped. They toiled repeatedly and the first launch only happened in 1970. Space has always been considered to be a very elite club. These countries are breaking these perceptions (albeit without the cow in hand I suppose).

Science or space research cannot alleviate poverty, but it's progress must never be impeded by social challenges. Its the very reason why governments promote free education to all children irrespective of how poor a family is, Progress cannot wait for living standards to catch up.

The thought that a nation struggling with poverty has to curb its ambitions is very prevalent in the English media and perhaps ingrained by its ancestors.

“Power will go to the hands of rascals, rogues, freebooters; all Indian leaders will be of low calibre & men of straw. They will have sweet tongues and silly hearts. They will fight amongst themselves for power and India will be lost in political squabbles.” These were Churchill's words about the Indian sub continent getting its independence. Last year UK ceded its position as the 5th largest economy to the same.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbread View Post

“Power will go to the hands of rascals, rogues, freebooters; all Indian leaders will be of low calibre & men of straw. They will have sweet tongues and silly hearts. They will fight amongst themselves for power and India will be lost in political squabbles.” These were Churchill's words about the Indian sub continent getting its independence. Last year UK ceded its position as the 5th largest economy to the same.

Congratulations a country of 1.3 billion finally managed to surpass the economy of a country whose population is 65 million.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Congratulations a country of 1.3 billion finally managed to surpass the economy of a country whose population is 65 million.
    You do realise you are taunting a poster justifying the "Pakistani space program" to a British Pakistani. Consider the scenario shouldn't your love be reserved for your British counterpart? ;-p

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
    It is a very true and honest cartoon. India was denied cryogenic technology by the way of sanctions in the 90s, and spend close to two decades perfecting it themselves. Or Mao declared in 1957 that China would launch their own satellite in 2 years, but no one helped. They toiled repeatedly and the first launch only happened in 1970. Space has always been considered to be a very elite club. These countries are breaking these perceptions (albeit without the cow in hand I suppose).

Science or space research cannot alleviate poverty, but it's progress must never be impeded by social challenges. Its the very reason why governments promote free education to all children irrespective of how poor a family is, Progress cannot wait for living standards to catch up.

The thought that a nation struggling with poverty has to curb its ambitions is very prevalent in the English media and perhaps ingrained by its ancestors.

I'm no fan of Churchill, but don't many Indians ( and Pakistanis for that matter) say much the same themselves about their leaders? Do you think he was onto something?

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    Take SN to space and leave him there, don't bring him back.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no fan of Churchill, but don't many Indians ( and Pakistanis for that matter) say much the same themselves about their leaders? Do you think he was onto something?
    Churchill was the same facist mongrel who created man made famines in the Indian sub continent. Are you saying his reasoning was right? During this creature's governance when the average life expectancy in the UK was close to 65, in the Indian sub continent it was 32 years! Thats by the time an adult reached his prime age in the Sub Continent he was staring at death. So 'these leaders will be of low calibre & men of straw' have done far more good than the 200 years of british rule.

I agree Pakistani (democartic and millitary) and Indian politicians have various shortcomings and not least of all their inbred and rampant animosity towards each other. But nothing compared to the western ones! Atleast they havent started wars far away from their borders at whims and fancy, killed and maimed people by their thousands, responsible for mass genocides during various generations, wept crocodile tears at suffering in some corners while played the blind eye towards attrocities in others, wined and dined with the worst dictators when time suit them and cruelly played a hand in disposing others who did not seek a common view point. These creatures are far more vile and worse than the likes of Nooras, Musharrafs and Modis! But I believe in karma, and starting with GB itself, tide will turn around. I just pray I can see it in my lifetime.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i understand a lot of the points, you made, however is it really profitable for a country like Pakistan to be going into this, i understand china will be doing the most when it comes to financing everything.

guessing communication industry is the key.

what troubles is thr are thousands off satellites above, i understand once they go up, they stay up, whats the need for so many. I understand over the years tech improves and we send more up with them collecting data.

tbh ive probably just answered my own question

TGK 237.1 owner

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Macclesfield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i understand a lot of the points, you made, however is it really profitable for a country like Pakistan to be going into this, i understand china will be doing the most when it comes to financing everything.

guessing communication industry is the key.

what troubles is thr are thousands off satellites above, i understand once they go up, they stay up, whats the need for so many. I understand over the years tech improves and we send more up with them collecting data.

tbh ive probably just answered my own question
    The article doesn’t mention settellites, anything about scientific research or other long term goals. So looks this will be just about first Pakistani in space type achievement and that’s it.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    I'd rather they spent money on education and poverty and more pressing issues than sending a couple of people to space.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I'd rather they spent money on education and poverty and more pressing issues than sending a couple of people to space.
    It's a myth that money spent on space programs like these takes away money from education and healthcare. It's a not a net zero game. Education and healthcare in poor countries like Pakistan (and India) suffers not because there is lack of funds, but because the delivery systems are poor and there is widespread corruption in the whole value chain. In India at least, budget of these services is not even fully spent by end of the year, which means there is no shortage of funding.
    Last edited by English August; 9th December 2017 at 23:43.