Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 241 to 320 of 321
  1. #241
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    54,711
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    The GOAT Indian coach, FC bhai. Would love to have him in pakistani team mgmt.
    Even when he wasn't coach, when he was touring with the Indian team alogn with StarSports crew, he was always very much involved with the team and management, giving tips and boosting their morale with his tactical inputs.

    Many people are talking too much about his alcoholism, he is a thorough professional which people don't credit him enough for.

  2. #242
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Fortress Europe
    Runs
    2,029
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Credit should also be given to the Indian youngsters who seem to have picked up only Shastri's good habits.

    For all his man management and motivation skills, Shastri is as arrogant as they come. Doesn't have a molecule of humility in him.

    If the Indian youngsters get inspired by Shastri's arrogance, they soon learn why pride always comes before a fall.

  3. #243
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    17,871
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gani999 View Post
    Credit should also be given to the Indian youngsters who seem to have picked up only Shastri's good habits.

    For all his man management and motivation skills, Shastri is as arrogant as they come. Doesn't have a molecule of humility in him.

    If the Indian youngsters get inspired by Shastri's arrogance, they soon learn why pride always comes before a fall.
    Rahane there to balance out his arrogance and 'aggro'


    The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

  4. #244
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    3,396
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shastri's abrasive tendency to strut when the team does well has made him plenty of enemies in the media.

    From being supportive of him over Kumble, even I've felt baffled and put off by his tendency to appear to be a suck-up to Kohli.

    But the fact is - Shastri has been India's go-to man whenever we've been in crisis or transitioning between coaches. He's been a prominent voice abroad when not many Indians apart from Gavaskar had the guts to speak against perceived injustices and snobbishness from the western powers in cricket at the time. Remember him tearing into Mike Denness during the postmatch after Denness had gone berserk banning Indian players.

    Sometimes a coach might not really be needed to be hands-on involved in cricket. He could just be someone who can motivate and be the voice and guide to shy youngsters when they're touring abroad.

    Not attributing India's fight in Aus to him, but maybe people need to understand that he's not all belly and booze.

  5. #245
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    3,255
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Even Vaughan knows who is the actual 'Koach' of the Indian team lol
    Last edited by MenInG; 18th January 2021 at 00:56.

  6. #246
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    724
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want India to win a few World Cup tournaments under Shashtri before I call him an ATG Coach.

  7. #247
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    54,711
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Shardul Thakur said today it was Ravi Shastri who motivated him.

  8. #248
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    10,664
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Goat man doing goat things. The best coach in the world.


    A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

  9. #249
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    3,335
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Australia made a bad bad mistake of awakening the sleeping giant.

    Shastri is like Kumbhakaran.

    He might be sleeping but once awakened, he will WREAK HAVOC.

    Be afraid.

    Be very very afraid.
    Turning point for the series, this post.

  10. #250
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    54,711
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Shastri ji, you have the license to go out and have a BLAST TONIGHT!

    All the most expensive single malt, to be paid by BCCI in full.


  11. #251
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    34,320
    Mentioned
    970 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Absolutely.

    Whattay legend.


    Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

  12. #252
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    34,320
    Mentioned
    970 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Turning point for the series, this post.
    Indeed buddy.

    They woke up the Kumbhakaran.

    And he wreaked havoc that was sooo intense, even Indian fans are SHOCKED.


    Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

  13. #253
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    3,335
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Indeed buddy.

    They woke up the Kumbhakaran.

    And he wreaked havoc that was sooo intense, even Indian fans are SHOCKED.
    Honestly I am delighted for you guys.

  14. #254
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    34,320
    Mentioned
    970 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Honestly I am delighted for you guys.
    Thanks buddy.

    What a prediction by you.


    Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

  15. #255
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    3,382
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to forget that Kohli/Shastri chose to play Shaw over Gill and Saha over Pant till Rahane came into the picture.

    Credit needs to be given to Rahane.

  16. #256
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    34,320
    Mentioned
    970 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abhilash93 View Post
    Not to forget that Kohli/Shastri chose to play Shaw over Gill and Saha over Pant till Rahane came into the picture.

    Credit needs to be given to Rahane.
    Rahane is the GOAT.

    The missing link.

    That's so clear tho.


    Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

  17. #257
    Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    13,041
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Shahtri was genius in his playing days and will be remembered top 3 best coaches in Indian cricket history.

  18. #258
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    10,664
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Lol. Too easy. This man is next level.


    A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

  19. #259
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    17,652
    Mentioned
    751 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    Lol. Too easy. This man is next level.
    GOAT coach. I've already said India should offer a trade to the Aussies to make these contests more even. Langer for Shastri.


    'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

  20. #260
    Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    San Ramon
    Runs
    603
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been saying this for some time- Shastri is highly underestimated. Heís a master strategist & motivator, may be a drunk genius but a genius nevertheless.


  21. #261
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    54,711
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Shastri is now right up there with Wright, Kirsten as among India's greatest ever coaches.

  22. #262
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    4,015
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ravi Shastri said they play Rishabh Pant abroad because he's a match winner. When he doesn't keep well, people criticise him, but he can help you win matches like these. He has been brilliant and that's why the management backs him.


    Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

  23. #263
    Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    San Ramon
    Runs
    603
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ravi Shastri speech after Gabba Match! He walks among a team of superstars multi-millionaires as if he owns them and has their trust and full loyalty! Thatís the head coach for you, not just the basic technicals for which Shastri will have a lot of certified assistant coaches.

    https://www.bcci.tv/videos/148380/ex...peech-at-gabba

  24. #264
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    91,970
    Mentioned
    7163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    What a great speech by a brilliant manager. He deserves a new contract with a pay rise.

  25. #265
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    34,320
    Mentioned
    970 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Great speech.

    Was about to post it.


    Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

  26. #266
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    10,664
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    He is the worst thing to happen to Indian cricket.
    Lol, nice try. Very simple minded fella. Incapable of understanding Shastri's genius.


    A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

  27. #267
    Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    1,330
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shastri was captain of Mumbai team which won a lot. He said in one of his interviews that he regretted not being in Mumbai setup during Vinod Kambli time, he would have set him straight and made sure he played a lot more.
    No doubts about his man management skills.
    On a light note he would have enjoyed a few drinks in his room with other players late in the night.
    Pretty sure some old single malt would have been opened.

  28. #268
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    54,711
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babbar View Post
    Ravi Shastri speech after Gabba Match! He walks among a team of superstars multi-millionaires as if he owns them and has their trust and full loyalty! Thatís the head coach for you, not just the basic technicals for which Shastri will have a lot of certified assistant coaches.

    https://www.bcci.tv/videos/148380/ex...peech-at-gabba
    He's not your regular laptop coach.

    But he's a genius manager and motivator.

  29. #269
    Debut
    Jan 2019
    Runs
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greatest indian coach ever. Just perhaps need to sort out the selection brainfades from time to time.

  30. #270
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    3,335
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babbar View Post
    Ravi Shastri speech after Gabba Match! He walks among a team of superstars multi-millionaires as if he owns them and has their trust and full loyalty! That’s the head coach for you, not just the basic technicals for which Shastri will have a lot of certified assistant coaches.

    https://www.bcci.tv/videos/148380/ex...peech-at-gabba
    The guy is a true alpha.

    Weak and insecure individuals don't see that.

  31. #271
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    54,711
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It must be remembered that Shastri joined this team as a temporary arrangement amd was then discarded in search of a so called PROPER COACH.

    After Kumble's stint didn't work, they again went on a coach hunt.

    But Shastri was specifically asked for by Kohli and the boys.

    He came right back in the mix despite his public war of words with Ganguly.

    Pretty much shows, Shastri isn't the kind of bloke who can be sidelined that easily. He's a master of the game from the inside and outside and knows his moves.

    He has his connections everywhere pretty much. Call it the power of socializing on the rocks or whatever but that's what he does lol.

    I remember him and Nasser Hussein had a go at each other way back in 2011 and now Nasser when he came to India for his documentary, Shastri is the first person he goes to. What a man he must be!!

  32. #272
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    4,015
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    It must be remembered that Shastri joined this team as a temporary arrangement amd was then discarded in search of a so called PROPER COACH.

    After Kumble's stint didn't work, they again went on a coach hunt.

    But Shastri was specifically asked for by Kohli and the boys.

    He came right back in the mix despite his public war of words with Ganguly.

    Pretty much shows, Shastri isn't the kind of bloke who can be sidelined that easily. He's a master of the game from the inside and outside and knows his moves.

    He has his connections everywhere pretty much. Call it the power of socializing on the rocks or whatever but that's what he does lol.

    I remember him and Nasser Hussein had a go at each other way back in 2011 and now Nasser when he came to India for his documentary, Shastri is the first person he goes to. What a man he must be!!
    Well said bhai.
    Hope our haters will realize


    Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

  33. #273
    Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    259
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This is how the real coach is supposed to be in cricket. Take a back seat, motivate the players and not indulge in useless controversies. The captain and players are already at the ground and they are well aware of the situation and strategy.

    The biggest factor in my opinion is that he doesn't think of himself as a player whereas our coaches are completely the opposite. This is why Mohsin Khan did well for us in tests.

  34. #274
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    54,711
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The players are well aware Shastri was also one of the most honest triers as a cricketer himself despite not being a special talent.

    Hero of the legendary 1985 World Series triumph, the drawn test.

    Shastri hit 6 sixes in an over before Yuvraj did.

  35. #275
    Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    1,330
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    The players are well aware Shastri was also one of the most honest triers as a cricketer himself despite not being a special talent.

    Hero of the legendary 1985 World Series triumph, the drawn test.

    Shastri hit 6 sixes in an over before Yuvraj did.
    Agreed. He was limited but did the best with his talent.
    The man has batted on all numbers, from 1 to 11 for India. Scored centuries at Test Opener in overseas matches. He is a shrewd but aggressive personality.
    Also, a great lover of single malt like me. So all in all, one of the best coaches we had.

  36. #276
    Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    4,682
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babbar View Post
    Ravi Shastri speech after Gabba Match! He walks among a team of superstars multi-millionaires as if he owns them and has their trust and full loyalty! That’s the head coach for you, not just the basic technicals for which Shastri will have a lot of certified assistant coaches.

    https://www.bcci.tv/videos/148380/ex...peech-at-gabba
    Daleri, Jazba, Tagra pan, Janbazi!

  37. #277
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    54,711
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Daleri, Jazba, Tagra pan, Janbazi!
    Soojboojh and hoshyari too

  38. #278
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    3,518
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Soojboojh and hoshyari too
    All these are useless without Badmaashi.

  39. #279
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    54,711
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    All these are useless without Badmaashi.
    To be honest it is soojboojh which enables a man to determine when to use hoshyari and when to use badmashi


  40. #280
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    3,335
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Anyone who still believes that Shastri contributes nothing to the team should listen to the chat between Ashwin and the team's fielding coach on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juZ3...channel=Ashwin

    You'll need to turn on the subtitles though as the chat ain't in English or Hindi.

  41. #281
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    34,320
    Mentioned
    970 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Anyone who still believes that Shastri contributes nothing to the team should listen to the chat between Ashwin and the team's fielding coach on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juZ3...channel=Ashwin

    You'll need to turn on the subtitles though as the chat ain't in English or Hindi.
    Last monetarist for the President.

    I remember you telling me Shastri is more nuanced than the cartoonist image he portrays.

    Turns out that's true.

  42. #282
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    17,074
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The turnaround of this series was,

    Dropping Shaw for Gill.
    Dropping Saha for Pant.

    This is why you have to back special talent rather than mediocrity. Hopefully, KL and Pandya( he needs to sort his attitude a bit) gets similar backing as well
    Last edited by Ab Fan; 22nd January 2021 at 14:21.

  43. #283
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    3,335
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Last monetarist for the President.

    I remember you telling me Shastri is more nuanced than the cartoonist image he portrays.

    Turns out that's true.
    The episode on the Sydney test is remarkable in narrating how Shastri was the real mastermind behind Vihari and Ashwin's tactics in defending the Australian bowlers during those 50 overs or so.

    It also underscores why Shastri is so loved by the team, with that example of how he stood up to the BCCI and CA before the tour for the players' right to take their families to Australia.

  44. #284
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    17,652
    Mentioned
    751 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just realised that I can pretty much understand everything Ash and Sridhar are talking since my mother tongue is Malayalam but I cant speak a single sentence in Tamil

    Respect to for stand up for the players' rights to travel with their families


    'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

  45. #285
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    3,335
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shastri is the best captain India never had, imagine if they had turned to him instead of Azharuddin in the early 90s.

    Ashwin on the day of the Melbourne test:

    "After we lost the toss, Shastri came to me & went "Ashhh". I was wearing my pants and suddenly taken aback! I said yes Ravi bhai. He roared in typical style 'get the ball in the first 10 overs'. "I was like get the ball in the first 10 overs in Melbourne?"

    "I've told Jinx, it's damp and might spin'. As he said, I got the ball early... and the ball spun immediately. I was like wow, what's happening!"

  46. #286
    Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    1,330
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    The turnaround of this series was,

    Dropping Shaw for Gill.
    Dropping Saha for Pant.

    This is why you have to back special talent rather than mediocrity. Hopefully, KL and Pandya( he needs to sort his attitude a bit) gets similar backing as well
    Shastri will sort Pandya out like he has done with Pant. Kohli too believes in Pandya but I was really surprised at the amount of swing Shardul got at around 135kph and the way he batted as well. Imagine 3 fast bowlers and Pandya and shardul with one of ash/Jadeja in England.
    We may have a good chance.

  47. #287
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    3,250
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lalchand Rajput has won a WC. Roberto De Matteo has won a champions league. If you need motivation to win or fight hard after 36 allout, then as a team you might not play at all. No need of any romantic stories about Ravi.

  48. #288
    Debut
    May 2010
    Runs
    475
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WengerOut View Post
    Lalchand Rajput has won a WC. Roberto De Matteo has won a champions league. If you need motivation to win or fight hard after 36 allout, then as a team you might not play at all. No need of any romantic stories about Ravi.
    Heh, did you watch the videos put up by Ashwin ? You'll get the feeling it was Ravi who was captain without being on field. Even small tactical decisions were at behest of him.

  49. #289
    Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    3,010
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Also lose 3 tosses.

    Coach Ravi Shastri deserves a lot of credit for this. Superb tactics, backed the boys, kept team spirit and mood up.

    Won't badmouth him for another 6 months after this.

  50. #290
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    34,320
    Mentioned
    970 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Shastri is the best captain India never had, imagine if they had turned to him instead of Azharuddin in the early 90s.

    Ashwin on the day of the Melbourne test:

    "After we lost the toss, Shastri came to me & went "Ashhh". I was wearing my pants and suddenly taken aback! I said yes Ravi bhai. He roared in typical style 'get the ball in the first 10 overs'. "I was like get the ball in the first 10 overs in Melbourne?"

    "I've told Jinx, it's damp and might spin'. As he said, I got the ball early... and the ball spun immediately. I was like wow, what's happening!"
    One wonders why there were so many brain dead decisions over the last few years...

    Is it Kohli effect?

  51. #291
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    3,335
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    One wonders why there were so many brain dead decisions over the last few years...

    Is it Kohli effect?
    If it is the Kohli effect, then the accusations against Shastri for failing to control Kohli ring true.

    I do think, however, that this explanation might be too simplistic. Shastri certainly doesn't seem the type that will allow another individual to defy him.

    I suspect that it just might be that both Kohli and Shastri bring out the worst excesses in each other, two hyperaggressive individuals probably view the game in the same light so arguably gravitate towards decisions that are a tad reckless.

  52. #292
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    34,320
    Mentioned
    970 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    If it is the Kohli effect, then the accusations against Shastri for failing to control Kohli ring true.

    I do think, however, that this explanation might be too simplistic. Shastri certainly doesn't seem the type that will allow another individual to defy him.

    I suspect that it just might be that both Kohli and Shastri bring out the worst excesses in each other, two hyperaggressive individuals probably view the game in the same light so arguably gravitate towards decisions that are a tad reckless.
    Possible.

    But then...no coach has been able to arrest the RCB slide.

    Shastri-Kohli duo might have been a tad reckless in tests but they have been downright foolish in ODIs with extreme defensive mentality.

    It defies logic.

  53. #293
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    3,335
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Possible.

    But then...no coach has been able to arrest the RCB slide.

    Shastri-Kohli duo might have been a tad reckless in tests but they have been downright foolish in ODIs with extreme defensive mentality.

    It defies logic.
    I think they have been too busy trying to replicate the Dhoni playbook in white ball cricket rather than come up with a sustainable strategy of their own.

  54. #294
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    3,518
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Possible.

    But then...no coach has been able to arrest the RCB slide.

    Shastri-Kohli duo might have been a tad reckless in tests but they have been downright foolish in ODIs with extreme defensive mentality.

    It defies logic.
    I don't think that even RCB owners want RCB to win, they retain bowlers like umesh Yadav and Siraj. Buy Dale Steyn when he is 36 years old.
    What kind of brainless selection is this.

    I know that Kohli isn't a great mind but even a 10 year old kid can see that Umesh, Siraj and Dale steyn(currently) are all mediocre bowlers.
    Siraj, umesh and steyn regularly get thrashed, they can't even defend 200+ 9 times out of 10 and still they got retained last year.
    Kohli is a master Batsman, how does he not get the fact that these bowlers are rubbish.
    I refuse to admit that someone can be so stupid.
    I have seen his interviews he always sounds like a thorough professional and a smart guy, he is no umar akmal.
    Last edited by jeeteshssaxena; 22nd January 2021 at 17:57.

  55. #295
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    34,320
    Mentioned
    970 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    I don't think that even RCB owners want RCB to win, they retain bowlers like umesh Yadav and Siraj. Buy Dale Steyn when he is 36 years old.
    What kind of brainless selection is this.

    I know that Kohli isn't a great mind but even a 10 year old kid can see that Umesh, Siraj and Dale steyn(currently) are all mediocre bowlers.
    Siraj, umesh and steyn regularly get thrashed, they can't even defend 200+ 9 times out of 10 and still they got retained last year.
    Kohli is a master Batsman, how does he not get the fact that these bowlers are rubbish.
    I refuse to admit that someone can be so stupid.
    I have seen his interviews he always sounds like a thorough professional and a smart guy, he is no umar akmal.
    Thats why it's so weird.

    RCB has all the money in the world.

    They hire different coaches.

    The problem is that Kohli doesn't get LOI team building I think.

    You can see the same happening in the run up to WC 2019.

    Dinesh karthik
    Dhoni
    Vijay shankar
    No experience pant who barely got any games before
    Shami dropped in a crucial encounter

    Instead of finding the right players and backing them, it was constant chop and change.

    RCB goes through the same.

    Even in tests, he constantly shuffles the team which upsets rhythm but since he is good in other aspects and the tests don't allow you yo make too many changes, those flaws don't get highlighted as much.

    I think Kohli will be an excellent deputy as opposed to captain.. Atleast in LOI.

  56. #296
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    4,015
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    I don't think that even RCB owners want RCB to win, they retain bowlers like umesh Yadav and Siraj. Buy Dale Steyn when he is 36 years old.
    What kind of brainless selection is this.

    I know that Kohli isn't a great mind but even a 10 year old kid can see that Umesh, Siraj and Dale steyn(currently) are all mediocre bowlers.
    Siraj, umesh and steyn regularly get thrashed, they can't even defend 200+ 9 times out of 10 and still they got retained last year.
    Kohli is a master Batsman, how does he not get the fact that these bowlers are rubbish.
    I refuse to admit that someone can be so stupid.
    I have seen his interviews he always sounds like a thorough professional and a smart guy, he is no umar akmal.
    He always likes test bowlers in IPL


    Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

  57. #297
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    34,320
    Mentioned
    970 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    I think they have been too busy trying to replicate the Dhoni playbook in white ball cricket rather than come up with a sustainable strategy of their own.
    Dhoni actually built a powerful lineup for WC 2011 and even in CT 2013.

    WC 2011 - Part of it was by default but he successfully ejected big names like Ganguly, Dravid who would have otherwise hurt our chances.

    CT 2013 - it was his lineup with Rohit and Dhawan opening.

    Contrast that to the dead lineups we put together in CT 2017 and WC 2019

    Rohit
    Dhawan
    Kohli

    After that,

    constantly shuffled Rahul
    Vijay shankar
    Useless dk
    Over the hill yuvi
    Over the hill Dhoni
    Dropped and picked pant
    Pandya

    Barring top 3..others barely had a chance to bat so India kept winning bilaterals and losing tourneys.

    Kohli should have ejected Dhoni (who later had become atrociously selfish unlike his past self) but he kept due to some sense of loyalty... Or to get inputs from him during crunch situations.

    This not only made him look like a weak loi captain but also hurt the team's chances as Dhoni played non stop politics.
    Last edited by sensible-indian-fan; 22nd January 2021 at 18:24.

  58. #298
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    27,716
    Mentioned
    685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    From words of Bharat Arun, Ash - Ravi seems like a legendary coach but i refuse to accept

  59. #299
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    6,258
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    One wonders why there were so many brain dead decisions over the last few years...

    Is it Kohli effect?
    There is an actual theory called the Ewing Effect in basketball.

    The NY Knicks played and performed much better when their star player and leader, Patrick Ewing, would miss a game.

  60. #300
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    4,015
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shastri's decision to hold back net bowlers in Australia helped - B Arun.

    Gavaskra grandfa asked to send all net bowlers back to India on paternity leave.


    Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

  61. #301
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    37,805
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Based on these articles, Ravi Shastri is actually much more than a chearleader, motivater and man manager. He actually was the original architect of the Australian leg side bowling and fielding strategy and he gave the bowling coach the task to work on its execution. Maybe there is a reason why Kohli got Kumble fired and Shastri reinstated

  62. #302
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    4,015
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ravi Shastri said memes and post on him is banter all the way. As long as people enjoy it and team wins, he's happy.

    Bro @sensible-indian-fan


    Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

  63. #303
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    4,015
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by OMB; Yesterday at 15:50.


    Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

  64. #304
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    4,015
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

  65. #305
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    4,882
    Mentioned
    470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Kohli View Post
    Take a chill pill . The man himself is fine with them. Don't white knight needlessly.
    Last edited by OMB; Yesterday at 15:51.

  66. #306
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    4,015
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ravi Shasti on Memes about him

    " They do it to have fun, it’s at my expense, but okay, have a laugh yaar. you enjoy your drink at my expense na, when you post that kind of memes, so many get happy, you enjoy that stuff. As long as the team does well I am happy "


    Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

  67. #307
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    4,015
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    Take a chill pill. The man himself is fine with them. Don't white knight needlessly.
    He took criticism to heart.
    Last edited by OMB; Yesterday at 15:51.


    Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

  68. #308
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    27,716
    Mentioned
    685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Lol Shastriís stocks have gone up the roof since last 2 series and after his interview

  69. #309
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    3,250
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    Take a chill pill. The man himself is fine with them. Don't white knight needlessly.
    Jr Gavaskar might have an eye on some position in ICT setup. Anything to be in Shastri good books.
    Last edited by OMB; Yesterday at 15:52.

  70. #310
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    34,320
    Mentioned
    970 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Kohli View Post
    Ravi Shastri said memes and post on him is banter all the way. As long as people enjoy it and team wins, he's happy.

    Bro @sensible-indian-fan
    Haha yes...

    Disgusting to see ungrateful fans disrespect him with memes when he is our most successful coach ever.

    That's exactly why I opened this thread to add some balance and perspective.

    Its his greatness he is supporting those who troll him and encourages them to have their fun.:

    #legend


  71. #311
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    4,882
    Mentioned
    470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WengerOut View Post
    Jr Gavaskar might have an eye on some position in ICT setup. Anything to be in Shastri good books.
    Not in coaching setup, he has no qualifications for that but he may be angling for a better BCCI commentary contract. He is decent if little boring Hindi/English comm in domestics.

  72. #312
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    37,805
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Ravi Shastri is proof that maybe a side needs a powerful motivator who strikes that perfect balance between letting the team freely express themselves and be a father figure. Anil Kumble behaved very professionally in the coaching interview process and was a hard task master but the team just did not respond to him in the same way resulting in a rift but when Shastri took over the coaching role on Kohli's insistence, India's performances have been in front of us.

    Shastri is also not as tactically dumb as people think he is, Bharat Arun himself acknowledged that the brain child between India's middle, off to middle stump line, fielders on the leg side ploy in Australia which totally squeezed Australia's scoring run rate was Ravi Shastri and he told Bharat Arun to work judiciously with the bowlers for months on how they will execute it. No side had ever worked out how to torture the Australian batsmen especially Steve Smith in Australia like this before and i can guarantee you that future teams touring Australia will take a leaf out of these tactics and apply it.
    Last edited by OMB; Yesterday at 15:53.

  73. #313
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    783
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Ravi Shastri is proof that maybe a side needs a powerful motivator who strikes that perfect balance between letting the team freely express themselves and be a father finger. Anil Kumble behaved very professionally in the coaching interview process and was a hard task master but the team just did not respond to him in the same way resulting in a rift but when Shastri took over the coaching role on Kohli's insistence, India's performances have been in front of us.

    Shastri is also not as tactically dumb as people think he is, Bharat Arun himself acknowledged that the brain child between India's middle, off to middle stump line, fielders on the leg side ploy in Australia which totally squeezed Australia's scoring run rate was Ravi Shastri and he told Bharat Arun to work judiciously with the bowlers for months on how they will execute it. No side had ever worked out how to torture the Australian batsmen especially Steve Smith in Australia like this before and i can guarantee you that future teams touring Australia will take a leaf out of these tactics and apply it.
    Good post savak bhai....yeah, I saw that interview and have the advantage of knowing Tamil (as frankly theres a lot lost in translation in the subtitles).....that whole leg side plotting and execution was brilliant....the only time it failed was in Sydney where SS was shuffling over on off stump and our bowlers lost the line momentarily other than that, never seen SS been dominated so brilliantly. Bharat arun is another supremely under rated guy....in fact Ashwin credtis him with his resurgence. Its a known fact that When Ravi was made the coach he made it clear to BCCI he wanted his 'team ' like Sridhar, Arun , nitin patel etc....this contributed greatly to our wins recently.

  74. #314
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    54,711
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Kohli View Post
    Ravi Shasti on Memes about him

    " They do it to have fun, it’s at my expense, but okay, have a laugh yaar. you enjoy your drink at my expense na, when you post that kind of memes, so many get happy, you enjoy that stuff. As long as the team does well I am happy "
    Terrific attitude. No wonder why he is excelling at such a demanding job.

    I remember Nasser got offended by some comment from Shastri in 2011 and gave it back to him on air. RS took it like a man. Now when Nasser came to Mumbai to shoot a documentary, RS is one of the first guys he went to. Thats manly.

    Anyone can get aggressive and get carried away but only a true man has the courage and swagger to take it on the chin and laugh it off.

  75. #315
    Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    13,041
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Sastri should demand more benefits and at least double salary. Otherwise teams like England or NZ may offer him more to get him. One the greatest coach of the history India has ever produced where we have one of the worst coach of the history running the show without any liability.

  76. #316
    Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone elder told me that the only reason Shastri played for India as long as he did was because he was Sunil Gavaskar's stooge. Is this true?

  77. #317
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    54,711
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    Sastri should demand more benefits and at least double salary. Otherwise teams like England or NZ may offer him more to get him. One the greatest coach of the history India has ever produced where we have one of the worst coach of the history running the show without any liability.
    Coaches like Shastri, Miandad are usually good in handling home teams. They are not fit to be global level coaches.

    These sort of people, usually hardcore nationalists, can vibe with the national players at a level a foreign coach could never do.

  78. #318
    Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    13,041
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Coaches like Shastri, Miandad are usually good in handling home teams. They are not fit to be global level coaches.

    These sort of people, usually hardcore nationalists, can vibe with the national players at a level a foreign coach could never do.
    Miandad??? This guy is another serial failure like Waqar.

  79. #319
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    311
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raja Ishtiaq View Post
    Someone elder told me that the only reason Shastri played for India as long as he did was because he was Sunil Gavaskar's stooge. Is this true?
    Shastri was nobody's stooge. He was well liked by players and captains as he was non controversial and followed a script.

    He could hit sixes but was content to play slow and boring innings as per team's demands. Never liked being a flashy hitter like Sandip Patil or Krish Srikanth.
    Even his bowling was not inspiring and appeared to be used only to slow down runs. He did bowl with his release coming from a good height but he wasn't getting fifers like Ashwin.
    His best feature when playing he was cool and unfazed. Used to shut out the crowd chants and just keep plodding away. Highpoint of his career was '87 Benson and Hedges cup in Australia.
    Last edited by OMB; Yesterday at 17:28.

  80. #320
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Fortress Europe
    Runs
    2,029
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Coaches like Shastri, Miandad are usually good in handling home teams. They are not fit to be global level coaches.

    These sort of people, usually hardcore nationalists, can vibe with the national players at a level a foreign coach could never do.
    Foreign coaches like John Wright and Gary Kirsten vibed with Indian players very well. They were possibly as good as Shastri and certainly weren't Indian nationalists.
    One of India's best ever test captains was MAK Pataudi. His strength lay in his approach of drilling into his team everyday the simple fact that they were playing for India, and not for Bombay or Madras or Delhi. He would have doubtlessly been an outstanding coach , had he been alive today. And he too wasn't a 'nationalist' in the accepted sense of the word today.
    I don't think nationalism plays any role. The ability to mentor is much more important.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •