User Tag List

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Is Tahajjud a Sunnah prayer or a Nafil prayer?

In Islam Tahajjud prayer is offered after Isha prayer and before Fajr prayer. It is recommended that you first sleep at night then woke up and then offer Tahajjud prayer. And the best time to offer Tahajjud prayer is after two-thirds of the night has passed.

Now both Isha prayer and Fajr prayer are of type mandatory (fard) but Tahajjud prayer is not mandatory (fard).

My question is what is the type of Tahajjud prayer? Is it Sunnah type prayer or is it Nafil type prayer?

When you make intention (niyah) of Tahajjud prayer what type do you specify?

Thanks
    Last edited by srh; 11th December 2017 at 16:16.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    Datmouth, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As far as i know, it is a nafl prayer.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    In Islam Tahajjud prayer is offered after Isha prayer and before Fajr prayer. It is recommended that you first sleep at night then woke up and then offer Tahajjud prayer. And the best time to offer Tahajjud prayer is after two-thirds of the night has passed.

Now both Isha prayer and Fajr prayer are of type mandatory (fard) but Tahajjud prayer is not mandatory (fard).

My question is what is the type of Tahajjud prayer? Is it Sunnah type prayer or is it Nafil type prayer?

Thanks
    It is one of most rewarding prayer after Fard.
    Fard for Rasullah SallAllah Alahi wa sallam,
    Optional for us but highly recommended.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    871 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post

Thanks
    It is nawafil salah .

When you wake up for salah , that itself is intention. Allah swt knows that.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is nawafil prayer for us. However, i heard from scholars that it was fard on prophets.

It feel good when you pray tahajjud.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This web page is mentioning it as Sunnah prayer:

https://hiqmahiswisdom.wordpress.com...-of-salah/amp/