Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mohamed Salah - Egyptian Messi

Egyptian Mohamed Salah has been voted BBC African Footballer of the Year for 2017.

Following a record number of votes, the Liverpool star won ahead of Gabon's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Guinean Naby Keita, Sadio Mane of Senegal and Nigeria's Victor Moses.

"I am very happy to win this award," the 25-year-old told BBC Sport.

"It's always a special feeling when you win something. I feel like I had a great year, so I'm very happy."

Salah, the Premier League's top scorer with 13 goals, has enjoyed a stellar year for both club and country.

In early 2017, the forward was the central figure for Egypt as they finished runners-up at the Africa Cup of Nations.

He also had a hand in all seven of the goals that took the Pharaohs to their first World Cup since 1990 - assisting two and scoring five, including the stoppage-time penalty against Congo that qualified them for Russia.

"I want to be the best Egyptian ever so I work hard," added Salah, who is the third player from Egypt to win the award and first since 2008.

"I always follow my own way and I want everyone in Egypt to follow my way."

Salah's form at club level as been every bit as impressive as it has in internationals.

In Italy, he scored 15 goals and made 11 others as he helped Roma finish second in Serie A, their best league placing in seven years, prior to joining Liverpool and scoring 13 times in his first 16 league games.

"I would like to thank my Liverpool team-mates and I also had a good season with Roma so I have to thank my team-mates there and my team-mates in the national team," said Salah.

"Since I came here, I wanted to work hard and show everyone my football. I wanted to come back to the Premier League since I left, so I am very happy."

Salah has taken the Premier League by storm this season, in contrast to a less impressive spell in the division with Chelsea between 2014-15.

"It's well-deserved," said Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp, who handed the trophy to the player at the club's Melwood training academy.

"I am a really lucky person. I had the opportunity to work with a few outstanding players and I am happy that it is now with Mo.

"The good thing is that he is still young, there is a lot of space for improvement, a lot of potential still that we can work on, but that's how it should be. It's a big pleasure, to be honest, to work with him."

By winning the BBC African Footballer of the year prize Salah adds his name to a list of legends including Jay-Jay Okocha (Nigeria), Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast) and Michael Essien (Ghana).

"I am very happy to be like them in winning this award," said Salah, who follows compatriots Mohamed Barakat (2005) and Mohamed Aboutrika (2008) in receiving the trophy.

Previous winners

2016: Riyad Mahrez (Leicester City & Algeria)
    2015: Yaya Toure (Manchester City & Ivory Coast)
    2014: Yacine Brahimi (Porto & Algeria)
    2013: Yaya Toure (Manchester City & Ivory Coast)
    2012: Chris Katongo (Henan Construction & Zambia)
    2011: Andre Ayew (Marseille & Ghana)
    2010: Asamoah Gyan (Sunderland & Ghana)
    2009: Didier Drogba (Chelsea & Ivory Coast)
    2008: Mohamed Aboutrika (Al Ahly & Egypt)
    2007: Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal & Togo)
    2006: Michael Essien (Chelsea & Ghana)
    2005: Mohamed Barakat (Al Ahly & Egypt)
    2004: Jay-Jay Okocha (Bolton & Nigeria)
    2003: Jay-Jay Okocha (Bolton & Nigeria)
    2002: El Hadji Diouf (Liverpool & Senegal)
    2001: Sammy Kuffour (Bayern Munich & Ghana)
    2000: Patrick Mboma (Parma & Cameroon)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42308421

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    One of the top 5 in the world. Well deserved

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fully deserved, he's been phenomenal for LFC and also for Egypt.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1452 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Deserved award.

What a brilliant player he is.

Thoroughly enjoyed watching him this season.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The signing of the season. The guy is class.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well done , he deserves it.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Dude is too quick and young would only get better if he puts in the hard work..

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohamed Salah was born in Basyoun on June 15, 1992. Just 17 years later, he was making his first-team debut for Arab Contractors. Here, Mo opens up on his early years and explains how he broke into professional football…

I first fell in love with football with I was a kid, around seven or eight years old. I remember watching the Champions League all the time and then trying to be like the Brazilian Ronaldo, Zidane and Totti when playing out in the street with my friends. I loved those kinds of players, players who played with magic.

I’d also play football with my brother, but he’s not that good! Well, not as good as me! But I also had all of my friends always playing football, so I’d play with them too. I have an older friend and he’d always tell me, ‘you will be a big player one day’. He was my best friend back then and even now, he’s still my best friend to this day.

It was when I was 14 that I first signed with Arab Contractors (El Mokawloon) and my career in the professional game began – but it was a tough time for me.

I had originally been playing for a club that was half an hour away from my village in Basyoun. Then I signed for a club in Tanta, which was one-and-a-half hours away. From there, I went to Arab Contractors in Cairo, so it was a four to four-and-a-half-hour journey five days a week to get to training.

I was having to leave school early to travel to training. I would go in from 7am until 9am and then I had an official paper to give to my club to say, ‘Mo can leave school early so he can reach the club at 2pm to train’. So I was only at school for two hours a day during that time. Now, everything would be difficult if I was not a footballer, I think!

For five days a week, every week for three or four years, I would make this journey. I was leaving at 9am in the morning, then I would arrive at the training ground at 2pm or 2.30pm. Training was always at 3.30pm or 4pm. I would finish training at say 6pm, then I’d go home and arrive at 10pm or 10.30pm. Then it was eat, sleep and then the day after the same thing.

And it wasn’t just taking one bus – I’d have to transfer buses three, four or even sometimes five times just to arrive at training and then back home again.

As I said, it was a difficult time, but I was young and I wanted to be a footballer. I wanted to be a big name. I wanted to be something special. I cannot promise you that it was clear to me what I would become and I was like, ‘I will be something special’. No, it was not like this. I was coming from nothing, a 14-year-old kid with a dream. I didn’t know it would happen, I just wanted it to happen so badly.

I still remember everything from my youth very clearly, but it is difficult to say at what age I began to realise I could make a career in football. When I was maybe 16 or 17, everything became bigger for me. Now I was with the first team, so I was very close to becoming something. But before that, I was young and I just wanted to play football and enjoy it. I was scared not to become a footballer, but I did my best and hoped in the end everything would be fine. But at 16, everything became bigger when I made my first-team debut.

If I hadn’t become a footballer, I cannot say what I might have become because ever since I started playing at 14, everything in my mind was about becoming a footballer. It was a question, ‘what will I be?’, but it was difficult to say because I had nothing else in my mind. If I was not a good football player, I am sure my life would be difficult now because I gave everything for football.

When I look back, the memories of my time with Arab Contractors are good ones. I was young and I had a dream.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/firs...-the-beginning

Salah was just 19 when he made his debut for Egypt – in a match against Sierra Leone in September 2011. A month later, he struck his first goal for his country against Niger, while he also represented the Pharaohs at the Olympic Games in England in 2012…

I couldn’t believe it – I was in the national team when I was 19. It was hard to let it sink in because at the time it was usually too early for a player of that age. Especially for us, my generation, because the generation before ours, all of them were around the age of 30.

When someone was called into the national team, they’d be 27, 28… but I was 19, so it was like, ‘wow!’ and difficult to understand. But I had to deal with it quickly.

I think after a year or two people thought, ‘OK, now he is a man for the national team – he has to produce in all of the games’. There was a lot of pressure early, but it was like a dream to play with the national team.

One of my best memories of those early days with the national team was when I went to the Olympics in 2012. It was a good moment for me, especially because I’d just signed for Basel.

I went to the tournament and scored a goal in all three group games against Brazil, New Zealand and Belarus and we got to the quarter-finals.

That actually helped me have a good start with the Basel fans because they could be like, ‘ah, he’s scoring there – that’s good for us!’

It was also good for me to push me and give me more energy to see myself as a top player. Olympic Games always have the top players involved, so it was a good time for me.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/firs...g-up-for-egypt

After starring for Arab Contractors, Salah made the move to Europe in 2012 on the back of his hugely successful showing at the Olympics. FC Basel in Switzerland was his destination as he moved continents for the first time…

It was very difficult. That’s what I can say, it’s very difficult to move to a club on another continent, especially at such a young age.

I grew up in Egypt, I knew everything in Egypt… but I didn’t know anything in Switzerland. I couldn’t understand any language because I couldn’t speak English or Swiss German. I didn’t know where I could pick up my food or anything.

I went there and lived alone. It was a difficult time because I didn’t know what to do. We’d finish training and I’d have 15 hours until I was back at training, with 10 of them to sleep, so I’d just go for walks around the streets for a few hours, then go back to the hotel.

When I got back to the hotel, I’d have no channels I could watch – no Egyptian channels on the TV! So it was a tough time in the beginning, but I think I was able to change in my mind quickly and adapt. I was flexible and I told myself, ‘OK, now I have to deal with this situation or it will be even tougher’. So that’s what I did.

I was there alone, but all the time I was thinking about improving myself and trying to become different to all the other players, or other Egyptian players. That’s what was always in my mind and, as I said, that’s why I was able very quickly to change my mind.

I started English courses and had some classes to help me communicate. They were going well, but after a while I had to stop because I wasn’t getting enough time to complete them after training. When I came to England with Chelsea, I was able to improve my English a little bit. Then I obviously went to Italy and learnt Italian, which I can speak well – and now I am back in England to improve my English, although now I think it is fine!

On the pitch, it was a step up for me – most of all in the Champions League. Playing in that tournament was unbelievable and one of the reasons I wanted to join Basel. In my first year there, we didn’t make the group stages because we lost in the qualifying round.

But we had a really good Europa League run that season, reaching the semi-finals. I personally also did well in the competition; I think I made five or six assists and was one of the leading assist-makers in the competition.

I was very happy, but I was determined to help us get back in the Champions League – and we did the following season.

What I can say is Basel is a fantastic club. Absolutely fantastic. I have a good relationship even now with the president of the club, the ex-president and everyone there. They are still my friends and I love them so much.

I always look out for their results to see how they’re doing, especially because there is one Egyptian player there who is my friend – Omar Gaber. We are very close and we talk to each other every day.

They provide a brilliant base for any African player to start in Europe. It is a big club, everything is fine organisationally, they’re very professional and I played Champions League and Europa League.

Basel is a huge step in my career so far. 100 per cent, without Basel I wouldn’t be the player I am now. 100 per cent.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/firs...ving-to-europe

In January 2014, amid reported interest from Liverpool, Chelsea announced the signing of Salah from Basel. He spent one year with the Londoners, which included an Anfield experience that would later have an impact on his decision to come to Liverpool…

There was interest from Liverpool when I went to Chelsea, but I think if I’d come at that time maybe things wouldn’t have maybe have gone as well then as they have for me now. Who knows? But I went to Chelsea and everything worked out how it did and now I am here at Liverpool at the right time.

When I go somewhere, I am always telling myself ‘I have to learn from here’ – and I know, 100 per cent, I learned a lot from Chelsea; I learned how to be more professional and to become a better person and player. It was a big step in my career and I had a good relationship with the players there – and you could see that when we played them at Anfield recently.

It was while I was at Chelsea that I first got to play at Anfield. I can remember I told myself – as I said on my very first day here – ‘I have to come here one day and play’ after I’d experienced that atmosphere.

That atmosphere was unbelievable, really. I was very happy to play here against Liverpool – and now I am even happier to play for Liverpool here.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/firs...london-calling

Salah moved to Italy in February 2015, initially on loan to Fiorentina before he joined AS Roma, where he spent two highly successful seasons and accelerated his development…

I had a good four months at Fiorentina and it was a good time for me and us as a team; I did well and we performed well in the Europa League and Serie A. Before I went there, it was very clear in my mind: I deserve to play. I had belief in my ability and I was going to Fiorentina to show everyone my football and what I could do.

Then I had a great two years in Rome and I was very, very happy there. Roma is not an easy place to play, it’s not easy at home – there is a lot of pressure there and it’s different. I cannot explain it, but inside you feel it is different to any other club. Everything is amazing there, though – the club is good, the fans are unbelievable and I had a great relationship with them because they always showed me love and respect.

Luciano Spalletti helped me a lot. A lot. He is very, very smart. Always after training, I would speak to him, ‘Boss, I want to improve that’ or, ‘I want to do this’ and he would never say no. Never. He would always say, ‘OK’ and even if he could see you were tired, he would always be telling you what he wants you to do, what he wants you to improve, ‘do this or do that, that’s better’. He helped me even as a person in improving my character. Defensively he helped me too, 100 per cent. He showed me the way to defend with the team and I saw myself improving in that aspect a lot.

I think I changed the perception of me during my time with Fiorentina and then Roma.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/firs...h-off-to-italy

In June 2017, Liverpool announced they had secured Salah's services on a long-term deal, with the Egyptian taking the club's No.11 jersey. Fans were excited – and so far, it's been proven they had every reason to be…

I’d said to myself, ‘I want to come back to England’. It was always in my mind, coming back here. I wanted to play here and show everyone my football. When I realised I was very close to coming here, I was very, very happy – and after speaking to the boss for the first time after the deal was agreed, I was even happier.

Why were Liverpool the right club for me? Because of many things. I even used to play as Liverpool on the PlayStation on FIFA when I was 18 or 19, as Steven Gerrard, Sami Hyypia, Jamie Carragher, Michael Owen and Xabi Alonso. I also remembered that atmosphere again and it came into my mind.

The way we play here is different to Rome, which is why I think I took one, two or three weeks to adapt. But ultimately, I think it has worked out well and we are working together well – but we need to win many games to be in a better position.

The players are very nice, very close to me and everything is fine. We talk to each other, we have good times, all of them are humble and that’s what makes me better and better and better. It’s not about anything else, it’s about the atmosphere in the club and being close to the players and the coach.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/firs...-on-to-anfield

There are several variations of Liverpool fan chants for Salah, but his name can be heard at every fixture: home, away and in Europe. So, just how much is he enjoying life at his new club?

It’s good, I’m very happy here, but in all honesty I don’t go out much – I just stay at home with family and they really like Liverpool, too. But I’ve been out in the city one or two times and had a walk around the area.

At home, I like to watch TV to relax or read a book. It changes my mood, I’m not just watching and thinking about football all the time. I like to enjoy my time with family. I was watching English TV mainly since I arrived, but recently I had Arabic TV installed, so now I am starting to watch it. I don’t watch TV that much, though – I probably watch more things on YouTube, or read books.

I like comedy movies because I like to laugh, and so I’ll watch them on our flights. I’ll also watch videos about how to improve yourself.

I understand Scouse, I think, but it’s very difficult… very difficult! The accent is so hard to understand. Flanno’s accent is the worst one – I cannot understand anything from him. The way he is talking is like he’s not talking normally!

I am happy when the fans sing my name. I can hear them on the pitch and it makes me happy. It makes you feel like, ‘wow’. It changes your emotions. I have to thank the fans very much for singing my name. Really, I respect it a lot. It’s a big thing for me – to have been here for a few months, but to have the fans singing my name every game, showing me love and respect, it means a lot to me.

On the subject of singing, it is true I did an initiation song during the pre-season training camp in Germany! I sung it in Arabic so nobody could understand! It was a good time. Since I arrived here, I have been speaking to all of my teammates. It was very quick how fast I settled into the group.

It’s going good for me here, but I always felt I would settle quickly. And I think I can get better, 100 per cent. I can improve on many things, so I have to keep working hard, I have to keep looking forward.

As a team, I know we haven’t won the Premier League for a long time, so I would love to win it with Liverpool. We have a great team, we have a great manager, so everything is good at the club – and I am sure we can win trophies here together.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/firs...e-in-liverpool
    Last edited by UN talkz; 18th December 2017 at 13:37.

[QUOTE=Mamoon;9742871]Don't see us ascending from 7th/6th in the near future. 5-0 in England and South Africa awaits us, we will be lucky to even draw one match. [/QUOTE]

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the best players in the world right now.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mo has been best player this season so far and hope he finishes as best...

[QUOTE=Mamoon;9742871]Don't see us ascending from 7th/6th in the near future. 5-0 in England and South Africa awaits us, we will be lucky to even draw one match. [/QUOTE]

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Two more crucial goals against Leicester by the Egyptian Messi.

Wait, scratch that. Messi is the Argentine Salah.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another phenomenal performance. He seems to make an impact in every game he plays. And to think Liverpool only paid around £37 million for him in the current market. The best buy in any league so far this season.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome signing! Seeing how well he is playing we got a bargain here. My only concern is that Real Madrid are apparently interested in him.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1698 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Cairo - Liverpool and Egypt striker Mohamed Salah was named Arab Player of the Year for 2017 in a poll of around 100 sports journalists from several Arab countries.

Salah, 25, has been an instant success at Liverpool since joining from AS Roma, scoring 17 goals in the Premier League already and 23 in all competitions.

He also helped Egypt to qualify for this year's World Cup finals in Russia.

Syrian winger Omar Khribin, who plays for Al-Hilal in Saudi Arabia, came second and another Syrian player, Omar Al-Soma, of Saudi side Al Ahli, was third.

Salah is also favourite to win the African Player of the Year title which will be announced in the Ghanaian capital Accra on Thursday.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Soccer/Int...-year-20180102

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1452 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Whilst not at his best against Spurs he still scored 2 goals.

What a player, what a signing he has been.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another good performance, he was a bit lost as Mane and Bobby were not in good form today.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What a signing he has been. He had a bad time at Chelsea but did well in Seria A. Didn't expect him to be this good. Playing regularly for Roma and Fierontina did help him a lot. Premier league suits his game perfectly as games are end to end and it gives him space to run in behind. Furthermore I think this is one of the worst eras for defensive play in England. He is more than capable of beating as shown today with his 2nd goal.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Liverpool need to win a trophy while these guys are at their clubs.. I predict Salah leaving Liverpool in next 2 seasons..

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Messi is the Argentinian Salah!!!

Watching Dravid is worse than watching 2 coats of paint dry

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turning out to be the best EPL signing of the summer.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1698 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Mohamed Salah had already placed himself in Liverpool's record books before a driving, darting run and angled finish for his second goal in Sunday's thrilling 2-2 draw with Tottenham at Anfield was likened to a Lionel Messi moment.

When manager Jurgen Klopp's £34.3m summer signing from Roma scored his first, he became the fastest Liverpool player to reach 20 Premier League goals. He achieved it in 25 games, two games quicker than Fernando Torres and Daniel Sturridge.

The 25-year-old has had a stunning impact since arriving at Anfield but this humble superstar, who is idolised in Egypt, has showed grit and determination to become a superstar.

'Down to earth and quiet' - Egypt's modest icon
    Salah's status as a national hero in Egypt was already secure before his two goals, including a late penalty, in the win over Congo in Alexandria last October secured his country a place in the World Cup for the first time since 1990.

Salah's brilliance, modesty and determination never to forget his roots had long made him an iconic figure and a source of national pride.

Mohamed Salah has more than 50 caps for Egypt and was the key figure in the country reaching this year's World Cup
    A school and streets in the city of Basyoun have been named in his honour. He also continues to retain strong links with the town of Nagrig in Gharbia in the north of the country. He is a regular benefactor and paid for a community gym as well as an all-weather pitch where future stars can hone their skills.

In January, Salah was received by Egypt's president Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Minister for Youth and Sports Khaled Abdel Aziz to be praised for his achievements and thanked for his contribution of 5m Egyptian pounds (£200,000) to the Tahiya Masr ('Long Live Egypt') fund to strengthen the economy.

Salah also donated 30,000 euros to the Association of Veteran Egyptian Players and when offered a luxury villa by a businessman as a reward for his winning goal against Congo in the World Cup qualifier, he rejected the offer and asked for the money to be donated to his home town.

It has also been a help that Salah played in Cairo for Arab Contractors (El Mokawloon) rather than either of the city's bitter rivals Al Ahly and Zamalek, allowing him to act as a unifying force among Egypt's fanatical football following.

When he was 14 he travelled more than four hours by bus, sometimes changing five times, from his home to train with Arab Contractors, then took the same return journey.

Mohamed Salah made his senior international debut for Egypt in September 2011 against Sierra Leone.
    Back then he was the youth team's first-choice left-back before his dedication, ability and magical left foot found its natural attacking home.

But despite his iconic standing, he is a low-profile superstar.

"He is a very down to earth, quiet footballer and person. He barely interacts with the media in Egypt or abroad," Egyptian football expert Marwan Saeed told BBC Sport.

5 live's Football Daily: 'Liverpool will struggle to hold onto Salah'
    "He uses social media to a moderate level. He doesn't like to talk much and that is a good thing as we see many stars saying things they shouldn't on TV or posting things they shouldn't.

"Mo got married at a young age, is now blessed with a baby girl and keeps away from the spotlight.

"We have streets and institutions named after him here after his heroics, especially after doing the unthinkable and taking 'The Pharaohs' back to the World Cup for the first time since 1990. Egypt is blessed with the gift that is Mohamed Salah and he is a gift that keeps on giving. Long may that continue."

The view that Salah will not get carried away with the current euphoria surrounding him is echoed by Murat Yakin, the man who coached him after he left Egypt in 2012 to pursue his dream in Europe.

Yakin, now coach at Grasshopper Club Zurich, was at Basel when Salah came to prominence by scoring in home and away victories against Jose Mourinho's Chelsea in the 2013-14 Champions League group stage - a precursor to an £11m move to Stamford Bridge in January 2014 that left Liverpool frustrated after they had also agreed a deal.

"Mo is very humble and modest. He is really down to earth and also sympathetic off the pitch. But on the pitch he is a leader, smart and aggressive in a good way," Yakin told BBC Sport.

'They just cannot stop him' - Liverpool's latest superstar
    When Philippe Coutinho left Liverpool for Barcelona in a £142m deal in the January transfer window, there was a void was to be filled and Salah has stepped forward.

From his instinctive finish following Ederson's poor clearance in the victory over runaway Premier League leaders Manchester City to the slaloming audacity of his second goal against Spurs, Salah has swiftly become the touchstone for fans craving a star of genuine world class.

Salah's 2017-18 in the Premier League... ...and how it compares to the best
    Goals: 21 Second to Harry Kane (22)
    Total shots (including blocked): 100 Second to Harry Kane (146)
    Shots on target: 48 Second to Harry Kane (60)
    Left-footed goals: 18 Top
    Two or more goals in a game: 5 times Second to Harry Kane (6)
    Minutes per goal: 92.71 Fourth (but top excluding players who have only scored once)
    Assists: 6 Joint ninth (Kevin de Bruyne top with 11)
    Chances created: 41 14th (Kevin de Bruyne top with 78)
    Dribbles completed: 63 Joint third (Eden Hazard top with 11)
    Touches in opposition box: 185 Second to Raheem Sterling (190)
    When Salah finally arrived at Anfield last summer after leaving Chelsea for Fiorentina and then Roma, it was to relatively little fanfare.

So has his success come as a surprise?

Yakin, who was coach at Basel between October 2012 and May 2014, said after Salah scored in the 2013 Europa League quarter-final win against Tottenham: "If Mohamed could score as well, he would not be here any more."

The right wing was a tough one for Chelsea. Juan Cuadrado played there. Andre Schurrle played there. You had Kevin de Bruyne trying to play there. And you had Mo Salah trying to play there

Pat Nevin
    BBC Sport pundit
    He says now: "At this time it was like that, but Mo is so smart and his will to learn and work at his game is fantastic. With constant working he is getting better and better."

The idea that Liverpool had simply signed a player who was not good enough at Chelsea was swept away by his early performances - but the biggest revelation has been Salah's ruthlessness in front of goal.

"He has surprised me and I'm not basing that on what he did or didn't achieve at Chelsea. It is more on what I saw at Roma," former Liverpool midfielder Jan Molby told BBC Sport.

Mohamed Salah scored 34 times in 83 games for Roma
    "I saw Roma in Champions League matches and he was a typical, lively, full of energy footballer with no end product.

"I always felt he was going to be one of those generally frustrating players with everything in his locker. To an extent he gave me that impression in the first two or three weeks at Liverpool. Not any more.

"He does what he does. Everybody knows what he wants to do but they can't stop it. Think Arjen Robben.

"In a very simple and effective way he is now among the most prolific footballers in the world."

So why did it not work at Chelsea?
    Salah mustered just 530 minutes of league action over six starts and seven appearances as a substitute in more than a year at Stamford Bridge after his move from Basel.

Footage of Salah's brief Chelsea career hints at what Liverpool fans have seen this season, a composed left-foot finish when played through in a 6-0 win against Arsenal at Stamford Bridge and a powerful drive at home to Stoke.

It was, however, an unfulfilling period before he left on loan for Fiorentina in February 2015.

Salah was labelled a Premier League failure - but further investigation suggests, while still maturing as a player, he may also have been fighting against a tactical peculiarity of life at Chelsea.

And he was not alone. The list of those who did not excel in that period is an illustrious one.

"The right wing was a tough one for Chelsea. Juan Cuadrado played there. Andre Schurrle played there. You had Kevin de Bruyne trying to play there. You had Marko Marin trying to play there and you had Mo Salah trying to play there," former Chelsea winger Pat Nevin told BBC Sport.

Chelsea's recent former right-wingers
    Andre Schurrle Mohamed Salah Marko Marin Kevin de Bruyne Juan Cuadrado
    Appearances 44 13 6 3 13
    Goals 11 2 1 0 0
    Mins/goals 160 265 143 0 0
    Shots 78 23 6 4 0
    Conversation rate 14.1 8.7 16.7 0 0
    Assists 2 1 1 1 0
    Chances created 35 10 5 1 0
    Passing accuracy 81.5 81.9 80.5 82.9 91.7
    "They were all there in a relatively short period of time and these are big, big names.

"Generally you had a settled side with Hazard on the left, then there was the Brazilian Oscar more central.

"There were a lot of reasons, one of which was the style and system that was being played at Chelsea. It was working perfectly well and remember the season they let Kevin de Bruyne go they won the Premier League.

"Chelsea were not daft. It was tough for Salah but there were also world-class players who were struggling to nail down that position.

"There was nothing wrong with what Salah was doing at Chelsea and everybody I spoke to about him said his attitude was absolutely perfect.

"Salah was younger. He wasn't quite as strong as he is now. He's matured. I suspect he would have matured perfectly well at Chelsea had he been given the opportunities, but over the period would he have got those opportunities? Probably not."

Mohamed Salah only managed two goals and 19 appearances for Chelsea
    The quintet of Cuadrado, Salah, Schurrle, Marin and De Bruyne made a meagre total of 79 league appearances, scoring 14 goals - so perhaps Liverpool's latest superstar was a victim of circumstance.

"I think Mo is a really sensitive player who needs to have time and a good feeling from the trainer and the staff. In Chelsea, everything was probably too early for him as well as too fast and too big," Yakin says.

"He always had his mentality to achieve his goals. He already had his qualities when he went to Italy but he was growing with that Italian school, tactically and as a human."

Real reports? 'Don't accept less than £120m'
    Egyptian Football Association president Hany Abo Rida may have set alarm bells ringing at Liverpool with his claim that Real Madrid will move for Salah in the summer - but the player's low-key approach and modest attitude suggests there are no causes for immediate concern.

Salah is settled in England with his wife and young daughter, appreciating his new life at Anfield while keeping away from the spotlight off the pitch.

It is inevitable his deeds will attract interest, interest that could be strengthened if he performs well for Egypt in this summer's World Cup - but former coach Yakin insists there is no rush.

"When you are happy at a club and having a good time with everything and everyone there is no reason to change the club. And also he has a long time to come - we will see what the future will bring," he said.

"He is strong mentally and has the focus on football. He is not interested in everything else."

Molby believes Salah will already be on the radar of Europe's elite - but believes he now also carries a price tag well in excess of £100m.

His record tally of goals is all the more remarkable given he has scored them from a wide midfield position, rather than a central striking role.

"You would be disappointed if the best clubs in the world were not looking," says Molby. "They have to be. He can't be doing what he is doing and people say: 'Don't worry nobody else knows about it'.

"I think he's in that top bracket now because of the end product. There are more and more stats in football now and his figures are incredible as a wide striker.

Mohamed Salah has scored 21 goals for Liverpool this season
    "He's been an incredible bargain. I can only compare him to Ousmane Dembele, who is slightly younger but certainly doesn't have what Mo Salah has in his locker - and Barcelona paid £135.5m for him.

"And don't forget you could probably get away with playing him in four positions - either side, through the middle and just behind the striker and he would be just as effective in all of them.

"To make it awkward, I would say a minimum of £120m. I think I, and a lot of Liverpool fans, could live with Coutinho going but if Liverpool ever considered selling Salah he would be a real loss that would leave a gaping hole."

Liverpool hope it is a hole they do not have to fill for years to come.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42964824
    Last edited by hadi123; 8th February 2018 at 09:29.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful player

I doubt him and firmino will be at Liverpool for long, simple they are winners and big clubs will come for them , and who can blame them for not wanting a big money move and chance to win trophies

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing him kneel and pray before a match gives me chills as a Muslim. Inshallah could become the first Muslim Ballon D'Or.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liverpool's Salah is the idol of his Egyptian village

Deep in Egypt's Nile Delta region, the children of Nagrig village have a clear goal in life: they want to become football stars like Mohamed Salah, Liverpool's top scorer and Africa's top player.

Salah, who hails from their village, has been one of the sensations of the Premier League since joining Liverpool -- his goal in the victory against Southampton on Sunday was his 29th of the season.

Further enhancing his status as a national hero, Salah played a key role in leading Egypt to the World Cup finals in Russia later this year.

On Wednesday his talent will be on show in the Champions League as Liverpool tackle Porto.

Mohamed Abdel-Gawad, 12, gazes in admiration at the three-storey house where Salah was born and raised, which overlooks a narrow dirt road like most of the houses in the village, about 120 kilometres (75 miles) northwest of Cairo.

"I hope to be like Mohamed Salah when I grow up," Abdel-Gawad told AFP.

"Mohamed Salah has become a professional player because of his ethics and humbleness."

In Nagrig as well as in Basyoun, the closest town, the youth centres were renamed after the Egyptian star.

Fully aware that his success has become an inspiration for children in Egypt and Africa more widely, Salah addressed them in his acceptance speech when he won the African player of the year accolade in January, telling them: "Never stop dreaming, never stop believing."

While the house of the player's father, Salah Ghali, resembles others in the village, it was quieter: no-one was looking out of an open window, and no clothes hung from the house.

The village has been the focus of huge media interest as Salah has risen to stardom, but family members at his house in Nagrig refused to talk to reporters "out of respect for his wishes".

- Gruelling daily journey -

Salah's journey, figuratively as well as literally, was anything but easy.

"His talent clearly showed from the beginning," said Ghamri Abdel-Hameed el-Saadani, who was the juniors coach at the Nagrig Youth Centre, where Salah started training at the age of eight.

Still, Salah's success is not just due to his talent, "it's also a product of a will of steel, effort, and determination", said Saadani.

The mayor of the village, Maher Shateyya, a family friend, bursts with pride when he talks about Nagrig's most famous son.

"Mohamed was only 14 when he joined the Arab Contractors club in Cairo, and he had to spend nearly 10 hours a day in transport to make it to and from practice," said Shateyya of Salah's "journey of torment".

Nagrig to Basyoun, then to Tanta city, the capital of Al-Gharbiya province, then a bus to downtown Cairo, and a final ride to the Nasr City neighbourhood where the club is located.

Salah grew up in a sporty family, with his father and two uncles having played football at the youth club in Nagrig.

"When his father noticed his son's talent, he strived to enrol him at a big club," said Shateyya.

"In the beginning, Salah played with the team in Basyoun town, then he moved to Tanta city before he was taken by the Arab Contractors team."

Starting in the under-15s, Salah spent five years there before his talent earned him a moving abroad and Swiss club Basel.

Salah "imposed himself, and his ability to penetrate the other team's defences shone", Arab Contractors coach Said el-Shishini told AFP.

He recalled the dribbling ability that characterises Salah's goalscoring exploits for Liverpool: "He would take the ball from the middle of the pitch straight into the penalty area."

From Basel, Salah moved to Chelsea but failed to break into the first team. He went to Italy where eye-catching performances for Roma caught Liverpool's attention and he signed last year in a deal that could eventually be worth 44 million pounds (49.5 million euros, $60.8 million).

- Summer return -

Salah was raised in a traditional family where both his parents had government jobs at the village. In addition to his government role, Salah's father also traded in Jasmine flowers, Nagrig's main harvest exported for perfume production.

In Nagrig, as far as the eye can see, the fields are filled with jasmine, which flowers in the spring.

Salah married Magi, a fellow Nagrig resident, when he was 20, and she has given birth to a girl they named Makka, the Saudi Arabian city that is home to Islam's holiest site.

The Liverpool winger still spends his annual leave with his wife and daughter in Nagrig, where he has never forgotten his roots.

He has donated money to an intensive care unit at Basyoun Central Hospital and to a religious centre in Nagrig that is yet to be built, said Saadani.

Salah also founded a charity in Nagrig that provides up to 50,000 Egyptian pounds ($2,800) a month for people in need.

"He is very modest... eight-year-old Mohamed is the same Mohamed (as he is now), Africa's top player."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp...n-village.html

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can he take Egypt far in the world cup?

"Be the best version of yourself"

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pity he's not gonna win anything with Liverpool. From being the mightiest club in Europe and now relegated to being a finishing school for top footballers (Xabi Alonso? Suarez? Coutinho? just in the recent past) before they move on to bigger clubs is very sad to see.

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    After being the victim of Romanss and Chelsea’s snub more than likely in reciprocal to Salahs famous snub when at Basle, he did well at Roma and done the same for Liverpool too

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mo salah
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 20th February 2018 at 15:45.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mesut Ozil, Mousa Dembele, Riyad Mahrez, Paul Pogba and Mohamed Salah are among the Muslim players now starring in the Premier League.

Their faith can be seen in their mannerisms on the pitch - cupping hands in silent pre-kick-off prayer or prostration after hitting the back of the net.

For Salah, who has 23 Premier League goals for Liverpool this season, his religion has become the unlikely inspiration for some Liverpool fans to rewrite the lyrics to 1996 hit Good Enough by Dodgy.

The words of the chorus are adjusted to celebrate the feats of the Egyptian striker: "If he's good enough for you he's good enough for me, if he scores another few then I'll be Muslim too. If he's good enough for you he's good enough for me, he's sitting in the mosque that's where I wanna be."

A video posted on Twitter with a group of Reds fans performing the song went viral, and tens of thousands of hits later even non-Liverpool fans have put allegiances aside in praise of the video and its lyrics.

In his hometown of Besayoun near Cairo, Salah would have been four years old at the time of the song's original release so it is unlikely that he would have heard it then. The 25-year-old has certainly heard it now.

The video has received mainstream media coverage and Liverpool fan and club member Asif Bodi believes it is an exercise in inclusivity.

He likes the song's message and is adamant that Salah and the video have had a unifying effect in Liverpool, which was the home of solicitor William Quilliam, the first English Muslim convert to Islam in 1887, and where he opened the UK's first mosque and Islamic centre.

Abubakar Bulla (left) and Asif Bodi (right) are big Liverpool supporters
    Abubakar Bulla (left) and Asif Bodi (right) are ardent Liverpool supporters
    "The Mo Salah song shows how tolerant and welcoming the people of Liverpool really are. Historically Liverpool has a reputation of welcoming visitors and also is the site of one of the first mosques in the British Isles," said Bodi.

"It's great to see all the positive outpouring of affection towards Mohamed. I would get behind any Liverpool player but I can't hide my pride that Mo is not only a great Liverpool player but he is also a fellow devout Muslim too."

A regular at Anfield, Bodi is part of a large number of Muslims who support Liverpool, and he says Salah's performances and goals have seen that number grow.

"The success of Salah has also led to an increase in the Liverpool fan base in the UK and around the Muslim world. I was pleased to hear of a 10-year-old Manchester United fan who became a Liverpool fan because of the song. That can only be good," he adds.

Like Salah, German World Cup winner Ozil is proud of his religion and happy to show it on the pitch.

"I'm a Muslim, I believe in that. You can see before games that I pray and that I'm pleased to be able to go on this path. It gives me a lot of strength," he said.

"I'm someone who's always been thankful, someone who doesn't just wish the best for me but for the people. It's a very important part of my life. What's important is to come together and show respect."

Like an increasing number of grounds in the Premier League, Arsenal's Emirates Stadium incorporates a multi-faith fans' prayer room.

When a prayer time arrives during a match, fans have a place to congregate safely to focus on their faith for the few minutes it takes before returning to their seats.

Arsenal's Muslim fans and matchday staff cram into their tiny concourse room to offer their prayers.

In September 2016, the new main stand at Anfield was completed and a multi-faith fans' prayer room was included in the redevelopment. This was not only in response to the diverse needs of the Liverpool fan base, but also in response to a previous experience for Bodi and fellow solicitor and Reds' Muslim fan Abubakar Bulla in 2015.

Images of both Bodi and Bhula praying at Anfield caused a storm on Twitter with one Liverpool fan tweeting "Muslims praying at half-time at the match yesterday. #Disgrace."

Liverpool were swift to distance themselves from that comment and condemned the tweet, as did other Liverpool fans on social media.

Looking back, Bodi and Bulla wonder if those fans who had a negative view on their praying are now the same fans cheering loudly as Muslim striker Salah smashes in another goal and breaks another goal-scoring record, all celebrated with an on-field prostration to his faith.

"I now think that the negative Twitter reaction to our praying was the reaction of a very small minority, and the Mo Salah song displays the true feelings of Liverpudlians," reflected Bodi, who praised Liverpool's fans' prayer room.

"This facility has undoubtedly led to a greater number of Muslims attending games. Its success can be judged by the fact that it has been outgrown with many more people wishing to use it than it can accommodate at any specific time."

In east London in October 2013, during a game between West Ham and Manchester City, a small group of home Muslim fans - with no prayer room available - tried to offer their Maghrib (sunset) prayer on a concourse under the main stand at the club's former home Upton Park.

Videos later emerged on social media of the group suffering horrific racist and Islamophobic abuse. Spurred into action, and to avoid any future misunderstandings, the club ensured that their new home, London Stadium, would have a multi-faith prayer room.

Asian Network Reports: Muslims face racist chants at West Ham
    Over in the West Midlands, the borough of Sandwell has been described as one of the most deprived areas in Britain. Hard-working white and ethnic minority communities live and work here in a catchment area for West Bromwich Albion.

A stone's throw from The Hawthorns is Oldbury, home to Baggies fan Ashley Rawlins. A season ticket holder, Rawlins embraced Islam in 2012. He likes the Salah video, and is well positioned to empathise with fans' understanding on all sides while saluting the performances of Albion's own Muslim players.

Ahmed Hegazi was joined by fellow Egyptian Ali Gabr in January.

"I've been on both sides in regards to the Muslim community and seeing the Mo Salah tribute song from Liverpool fans has been such a positive thing," he said.

"It shows that football is bringing people together as you wouldn't have seen something like this a few years ago, especially people singing 'sitting in a mosque is where I wanna be'.

"At my club, we have a similar story with regards to Ahmed Hegazi. He is so well received, his bravery in the games has been inspiring and as a result the fans love him. I have his name on the back of my shirt and he is definitely a conversation starter."

Ahmed Hegazi joined West Brom from Egyptian Premier League side Al Ahly
    In quick time Rawlins, a manager at the Ministry of Justice who also plays semi-professional football, has achieved a greater knowledge and understanding of Islam than many born into the faith.

In his office, the 29-year-old is happy to share his knowledge on Islam when he gets asked questions by his fellow workers.

"At work, I have regular conversations with my team and there is interest in Islam. They ask many questions which I'm happy to answer. If I don't know the answer, I find out and get back to them," he said.

Away from the top-flight teams, community based clubs need their local fans to turn up and support their team, and if that club is located in a predominantly Muslim community, Rawlins urges them to also attend matches.

But he warns that if the clubs want them to return they will need to address the additional needs, especially when it comes to matchday catering.

"Muslim fans should definitely go to matches to show the general public that there are so many similarities between us, regardless of faith," he says.

"I do, however, feel football clubs with a mixed demographic fan base could do more to address the lack of prayer facilities as this is a fundamental part of our faith and many others."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43208945

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shows the power of Football when fans are now singing pro Muslim songs Salah is a snip for what we paid for him. I am concerned that Real Madrid are now sniffing around for him.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Liverpool probably still won't win anything with him.

I'm not totally convinced that he's the best player in the PL, have to give it more time, because this is his first world class season.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Mohamed Salah makes stunning gesture to young cancer sufferer

Liverpool winger Mohamed Salah is helping to pay the medical fees for a child in his homeland who is suffering from cancer.

Abdelrahman Mahmoud, from the city of Tanta, needs a bone marrow transplant and is being treated at Cairo's 57357 Hospital.

His father revealed he had contacted Salah's family as it was his son's dream to meet the Egypt international.

“We’ve reached someone who lives in a town close to the player’s village and then managed to talk to the player’s father who told him about my son’s case,” he told DMC Sport channel.

“He contacted us and talked to Abdelrahman on the phone since he is not in Egypt now and told him that he will be visiting him once he’s back.

“Salah is in regular contact with Abdelrahman, his support had a positive effect on the child’s health."

It's the latest generous act from Salah, who recently donated 30,000 Euros to the Association of Veteran Egyptian Players.

Back in October he turned down the offer of a luxury villa as reward for firing Egypt to the 2018 World Cup. Instead he asked businessman Mamdouh Abbas to make a donation to his home village of Nagrig instead.

Liverpool's 31-goal top scorer has never forgotten his roots. He has previously paid for a special unit at the local hospital as well as gym equipment for the community centre and an all-weather pitch for youngsters to play on.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...sture-14363916

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, he is a Top 5 player in the world right now along with Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar and De Bruyne.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just let him be the Egyptian Salah! No need to be anyone else, I am not a fan of this "new" this or that.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cape Town - Liverpool winger Mohamed Salah and Brighton manager Chris Hughton have been named as the Player and Manager of the Month for February.

The 25-year-old Egyptian won the Player of the Month award for the second time this season after scoring four goals and providing two assists in helping Liverpool grab two wins and a draw.

"The players make it easier and the boss also makes it easier for me," Salah said. "It's nice to win it again especially because it's the Player of the Month of the Premier League, so that's something good.

"I say always try to help reach the three points and to be in a better position."

Hughton won the Manager of the Month award for the first time after master-minding two wins and a draw to go undefeated for the month of February with the Seagulls occupying 10th spot in the standings.

"It's a wonderful achievement for the club and certainly for a group of players that have improved as the season has gone on and knowing that we've still got a lot of work to do," Hughton said.

"I have wonderful medical staff and coaching staff.

"We're thankful to a lot of people but, of course, it's the players, the players have enjoyed being in this division so far and are desperate to make sure that we stay there."

Victor Wanyama's screamer against Liverpool in a 2-2 draw on February 4 was awarded as the Goal of the Month beating efforts from the likes of Salah and Sergio Aguero.

"That was one of my best goals I've ever scored," he said. "I just reacted before the Liverpool players.

"I thought I'd just let it go because the ball was bouncing and I didn't want to think too much. And I just let it fly."

https://m.sport24.co.za/Soccer/Engli...wards-20180309

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salah the sensation! Absolutely clinical from Mo Salah. He only had four shots at the Watford goal today. That's all he needed...

Also ahead of Harry Kane now in the golden boot with 26 goals in the PL.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After today he is easily the PL Player of the Season ahead of De Bruyne, Kane, Aguero and Sterling. Liverpool need to ensure they keep a hold of him and don't lose him like Torres and Suarez.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What a season for Salah.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great season....but that is about it so far. Let's not go over the top. Kane is still the finest goal scorer over a long period of time in the PL with Aguero probably equal. Sterling, Hazard and De Bruyne are the more complete footballers. PLus it worries me how easily City and United have managed to handle Salah. Is that going to happen every time a defence squeezes him and gets physical?

One more season of this quality and we can start giving him such accolades.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dios View Post
    After today he is easily the PL Player of the Season ahead of De Bruyne, Kane, Aguero and Sterling. Liverpool need to ensure they keep a hold of him and don't lose him like Torres and Suarez.
    He will eventually think of heading to Madrid/Barca/Bayern if he wants to win the UEFA.

Excellent in this season so far, will be having a close eye on him during the city draw.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    Vancouver, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salah this season has been the best player in the league. Only people close are De Gea (not an outfield player and only reason Utd are 2nd), and KDB. But Salah has this Ronaldo-esque knack of being totally invisible in games, but still producing the goals. That level of productivity is insane! But he combines European efficiency with a uniquely afro-asian flair. It's an irresistible combination to watch even as a United fan

Is he one of the top 5 players in the world? No. Is he one of the top 5 players in the world on current form? Yes.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I am seriously concerned that Real will be coming after him. We must keep him at every cost, that's all. No offer even £200 million should be considered. He seems happy enough at Anfield, being Egyptian he should be less attracted to Spain then Suarez and Coutinho were. He's been a bargain for what we paid for him, would be worth £150 million in today's market.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    Vancouver, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    Now I am seriously concerned that Real will be coming after him. We must keep him at every cost, that's all. No offer even £200 million should be considered. He seems happy enough at Anfield, being Egyptian he should be less attracted to Spain then Suarez and Coutinho were. He's been a bargain for what we paid for him, would be worth £150 million in today's market.
    No reason for him to go to Real. The EPL is much larger in Egypt than La Liga. Most importantly you need to win something. That's the glue that makes teams stick together.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mods please Change the thread title to Salah vs Messi 'the Argentine Salah'

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rishta Aunty View Post
    No reason for him to go to Real. The EPL is much larger in Egypt than La Liga. Most importantly you need to win something. That's the glue that makes teams stick together.
    I don't know about that, La Liga is widely followed here.

If he joins Madrid or Barca....

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post

Only Barca and Real are followed around the world , while the Premiership has many more teams which are followed.

I think he's already the best Egpytian player of all time, so he must have a crazed following in Egypt?

In the game against Watford he showed exactly why he has done so well. His biggest assests are his willingness to run into spaces, use his body strength to hold off players, dribble past defenders, vision in playing others in and being at the right place at the right time to pick up any loose balls and score.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    Vancouver, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? More than the EPL overall? I've met quite a few Egyptian students and they seemed to be much more into English teams. Obviously I defer to you since you actually live there!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Only Barca and Real are followed around the world , while the Premiership has many more teams which are followed.

I think he's already the best Egpytian player of all time, so he must have a crazed following in Egypt?

In the game against Watford he showed exactly why he has done so well. His biggest assests are his willingness to run into spaces, use his body strength to hold off players, dribble past defenders, vision in playing others in and being at the right place at the right time to pick up any loose balls and score.
    Yeah but from what I've seen in Egypt, EPL is not followed as closely as it is in Asian countries who are pretty crazy about it.

Here, there are huge fan followings for Madrid and Barca and thus by extension Ronaldo vs Messi... But pretty much everyone watches Liverpool games now. Crazed following for Salah is an understatement! I was out during the Liverpool - Watford game and there were masses at small cafes watching, with shopkeepers from nearby shops running back and forth. Every goal elicited a massive roar.

What I was referring to is general fan-following. Real and Barca have a lot of fans here, not so much for Manchester United I reckon. Liverpool has a huge fan-base here now, only because of Salah.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rishta Aunty View Post
    Really? More than the EPL overall? I've met quite a few Egyptian students and they seemed to be much more into English teams. Obviously I defer to you since you actually live there!
    Egyptian students overseas are most likely going to be of a higher socio-economic class which makes a difference. I'm referring to the general populace. If they're not watching due to the presence of Egyptian players, they're most likely watching due to the stature of the players. The Ronaldo vs Messi thing is huge. UCL is also closely followed.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah but from what I've seen in Egypt, EPL is not followed as closely as it is in Asian countries who are pretty crazy about it.

Here, there are huge fan followings for Madrid and Barca and thus by extension Ronaldo vs Messi... But pretty much everyone watches Liverpool games now. Crazed following for Salah is an understatement! I was out during the Liverpool - Watford game and there were masses at small cafes watching, with shopkeepers from nearby shops running back and forth. Every goal elicited a massive roar.

What I was referring to is general fan-following. Real and Barca have a lot of fans here, not so much for Manchester United I reckon. Liverpool has a huge fan-base here now, only because of Salah.
    Yes, I've never been to Egypt so couldn't comment but it's great to hear LFC getting a bigger following in the country now because of Salah. I think it's important for the Premier League to have the best players from countries around the world which may not be a footballing giants. It will give the teams more exposure in those nations, which in turn will give them a bigger following. Already Man Utd v LFC is seen by more people around the world over Barca V Real.

Egypt are not in the toughest group but it wont be easy to qualify for the next round in the World Cup. If they do, I can imagine the scenes in Cairo esp if they face another African team.

Football is very comptetive, Pele suggested an African team would win the World Cup after 2000 but it has hasnt happended and may not for a very long time. The European and South American nations are way ahead but Egypt can look to replicate Morocco in the African cup of nations next time.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am holding you responsible if Salah joins Barca or Real!! Don't jink it for us Liverpool fans

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    Vancouver, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's weird to be honest as I'm a United fan. On one hand, seeing Liverpool weakened as rivals would be fantastic. On the other hand, I really REALLY want the premier league to be back as the world'd preeminent league like the late noughties. And for that the clubs need to be able to keep hold of their best players.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A video worth watching. The moment Egypt qualified for the World Cup.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The King of Egpyt has scored again for his country against Portugal!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The King of Egpyt has scored again for his country against Portugal!
    Ronaldo scored twice in stoppage time

At least it's just a friendly...

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ronaldo scored twice in stoppage time

At least it's just a friendly...
    Really! I switched off the scores at 90mins. Unlucky for Egpyt but Im sure the fans in all areas of the country were glued to this game and when Salah scored there must have woken up the Pharoes.

What is the general feeling in Egpyt with regards to the World Cup? Do Egyptians feel they will get past the first round?

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Really! I switched off the scores at 90mins. Unlucky for Egpyt but Im sure the fans in all areas of the country were glued to this game and when Salah scored there must have woken up the Pharoes.

What is the general feeling in Egpyt with regards to the World Cup? Do Egyptians feel they will get past the first round?
    I don't think they were too upset since it was just a friendly. Like I mentioned before, Ronaldo has a large fan-base. I heard some cheers for his goals too

I think they're generally hopeful of qualifying but they know it'll be tough. Uruguay is strong, Russia will have home advantage. Saudi Arabia they should beat.

After the season he's had, expectations from Salah will be massive.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I have been pleasantly surprised at his brilliance. A fellow teacher is an obsessive Liverpool fan and a regular attender to home games and he thinks that if he has another season like this, he would worth £200mn.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think they were too upset since it was just a friendly. Like I mentioned before, Ronaldo has a large fan-base. I heard some cheers for his goals too

I think they're generally hopeful of qualifying but they know it'll be tough. Uruguay is strong, Russia will have home advantage. Saudi Arabia they should beat.

After the season he's had, expectations from Salah will be massive.
    Saudi Arabia drew with Ukraine tonight, they are not a bad team. It also helps if you score a goal for them you get a Rolls Royce

Yes a lot of pressure on Salah but he is as cool as they come. It is a tough group, all teams can beat each other on the day.

I dont want to jink but I genuinely feel Russia and Egypt will go through. Uruguay are strong but it's the world cup, they might be over confident.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice goal yesterday against portugal,he cleverly get away from defenders get some space finds the ball and bang with left foot into the nets.Liked his football instinct and the way he read the game kudos

Ronaldo had different plans in mind though,that second header was typical ronaldo routine one in tight space,Freak

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brats. Nobody messes with the Do.

Last edited by DeadBall; 28th March 2018 at 20:22.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A humble man and a great Footballer is Salah. He will need to perform at his current level for at least a further ten years to be compared to Messi or even Ronaldo for that matter. Being linked with the Real Madrid mafia for now Liverpool should just want to keep him. Roma must be kicking themselves for selling him so cheaply then again he is perfect in the system that Liverpool play. No guarantee that he would be this good for someone else. Chelsea is the best example. Mo Salah, Mo Salah, Mo Salah running down the wing. Sa...la...la...la...la the Egyptian king!
    Last edited by PakLFC; 12th April 2018 at 23:28.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1613 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A video worth watching. The moment Egypt qualified for the World Cup.

Came here to post that... such emotions.

Ya Allah I want to experience this with Pakistan atleast once in my lifetime

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1613 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was listening to a news report that in the recent elections in Egypt the people who didn't like both candidates they crossed out their names and wrote Mo Salah and "voted" for him

A nation only needs one man to unite it.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salah up against his former employers Roma in the CL semi's!. It's looking good for us having avoided Bayern and Real!. I am smelling number 6 coming on!

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another one for Salah today against the helpless Bournemouth. It was a one sided match where the Liverpool front three again displayed that they are probably the best strike force in the game at the moment. Just hope Harry Kane doesn't claim Salah's goal in his desperate attempts to win the golden boot saying Salah's goal came off his shoulder!

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James Milner's tweet today after the game was epic

https://twitter.com/JamesMilner/stat...28884605095936

Watching Dravid is worse than watching 2 coats of paint dry

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Liverpool wins CL Salah have very good chance of winning Ballon D'or.I guess last 2 of Ronaldo's awards came mainly because RM won CL.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well deserved award.Good on him.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fully deserved to be named PFA Players player of the year. A great trophy for him in his first season in the PL.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Name:  DbkliA_XUAAy9GS.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  87.2 KB

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a player

Salah mane and emre can before a match do wudhu and pray

Klopp mentioned this on channel 4 news to Krishnan guru murty

Divine help from the heavens

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)