Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next generation battle - Babar Azam vs Shreyas Iyer

Obviously Babar is ahead of Shreyas as of now in LOIs. But Shreyas has excellent FC stats and has been groomed for bigger things. I expect him to become an integral part of Indian batting setup in future. Shreyas has had a good start to his ODI career but i wouldn't read much into it now. I think he has the ability to play at No 4 for India and succeed.

Babar is the next big batsman for Pakistan. He has already shown his batting prowess in LOIs and I expect him to do well in tests. He is a 10k batsman in both formats.. What are you thoughts...

Babar - Profile
    Name:  Babar.JPG
Views: 2930
Size:  94.7 KB

Shreyas Profile
    Name:  Shreyas.JPG
Views: 2779
Size:  75.3 KB

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Waiting for people to come and say ďIndian batsmen canít be compared with Pakistani batsmenĒ and conclude that Shreyas > Babar

Canít wait for this Shreyas to play against us, heíd be a sitting duck.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    Waiting for people to come and say “Indian batsmen can’t be compared with Pakistani batsmen” and conclude that Shreyas > Babar

Can’t wait for this Shreyas to play against us, he’d be a sitting duck.
    I am waiting to see people come and say Pakistani batsmen are more naturally talented(though I do not understand what does that mean).

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There is really no point in comparing these two, especially when one has only played like 5 international matches. These comparisons never end well. You can certainly talk about potential but still too early even for that.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't rate Babar Azam as much as some do here, but Shreyas is nothing great. Babar has more international quality than this guy.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrai View Post
    There is really no point in comparing these two, especially when one has only played like 5 international matches. These comparisons never end well. You can certainly talk about potential but still too early even for that.
    absolutely agree with you, Let Iyer play for an yean and at least 20 matches to judge before reaching any real conclusion. Maybe he comes out a brilliant player as we expect him to be or a dud, only time will tell.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1882 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Every gully mohallah player is being compared to Babar Azam. Let this Shreyas guy play more than 3 ODIs for him to be compared to Bobby.

I remember during their u19 days Indian PP'ers used to berate Babar and say their Unmukt Chand and Sanju Samson are better batsmen with higher ceiling. Look at where Bobby is now and where those two are.

Babar is just a step behind Kohli and Smith and reaching parity with Kane and Root. Don't disrespect him by comparing him to every new kid on the block.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Every gully mohallah player is being compared to Babar Azam. Let this Shreyas guy play more than 3 ODIs for him to be compared to Bobby.

I remember during their u19 days Indian PP'ers used to berate Babar and say their Unmukt Chand and Sanju Samson are better batsmen with higher ceiling. Look at where Bobby is now and where those two are.

Babar is just a step behind Kohli and Smith and reaching parity with Kane and Root. Don't disrespect him by comparing him to every new kid on the block.
    Nah bro.

These batsmen are more ďcompleteĒ and have a higher ceiling than Bobby because they have a superior batting culture in India.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Beefcake Bakery
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1048 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Baby de Villiers, but that's hardly an achievement.

Chak de.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Whenever I watched Shreyas, I walked away unimpressed.

Whenever I don't watch him, he scores.

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar is better because he considers some XYZ player as his idol.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Why are you comparing Babar with a noob?

He is a champions trophy winner and 4th ranked batter in the world with 7 centuries, 3 centuries in a row and joint fastest to 1000 runs in ODI.

He should be compared to Root,Williamson,De Cock etc

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Babar Azam is the better batsmen without a doubt. Can't compare him with a player who hasn't even cemented a place in the Indian team.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubol123 View Post
    Babar is the next big batsman for Pakistan. He has already shown his batting prowess in LOIs and I expect him to do well in tests. He is a 10k batsman in both formats.. What are you thoughts...
    My thought is that if a batsman with a 23.75 avg goes on to play long enough for Pakistan to score 10K runs, then Pakistan's current #7 ranking makes sense.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1882 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    My thought is that if a batsman with a 23.75 avg goes on to play long enough for Pakistan to score 10K runs, then Pakistan's current #7 ranking makes sense.
    Yeah because a batsman continues to average the same throughout their career and their average after 11 tests is set in stone.

For your info, Sachin Tendulkar averaged a mediocre 39 after his first 11 tests.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Iyer is an average player. He is scoring runs against mediocre Lankan attack. to me he is same as Kedar Jadhav or Karun Nair.

Babar looks more assured and looks more complete.

Babar >>>> Iyer.

The comparison should be Babar and KL Rahul and a thread already exists for it.

I am pretty sure Iyer will be replaced by Prithvi Shaw soon.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Babar Azam is the better batsmen without a doubt. Can't compare him with a player who hasn't even cemented a place in the Indian team.
    While you are correct that Babar is a better batsman at this point in time.The theory that Iyer is bad because he cant get into Indian is not.As a batsman, getting into Indian teams top 3 is a tough job.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah because a batsman continues to average the same throughout their career and their average after 11 tests is set in stone.

For your info, Sachin Tendulkar averaged a mediocre 39 after his first 11 tests.
    1. 39.20 is a whopping 65% larger than 23.75.

2. Tendulkar was 19 when he played his 11th Test, with a lot more time to get better than a 23 year old.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting
    Last edited by Napa; 18th December 2017 at 23:53.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1882 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    1. 39.20 is a whopping 65% larger than 23.75.

2. Tendulkar was 19 when he played his 11th Test, with a lot more time to get better than a 23 year old.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting
    So you think Babar will continue averaging 24 for the rest of his career

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    somewhere in goa.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While, Babar being better batsman currently is indubitable. This fad of lampooning the guy with unusual technique should be abnegated, even if the guy doesn't imbue the cricketing perfectionist in you. Even if it currently seems iniquitous to compare a newbie with babar, I feel Iyer will surpass him someday impact-wise expounded by the fact that anchor roles that babar play is of less impact compared to shreyas whose modus operandi seems to give impetus to the innings in the middle. The way he invigorated the RR by being busy at the crease and not letting the spinners to settle was something amiss from the team since Raina left and portend of a possible replacement.That being said, it will quite an onerous task for him to stay in the team once Kohli arrives.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So you think Babar will continue averaging 24 for the rest of his career
    No, I think he will probably add about 15 runs to his average like Tendulkar did to his average from the 11th Test to the end of this career. However, that only gets Babar to 39, which is not quite what the team needs for a better future.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    While you are correct that Babar is a better batsman at this point in time.The theory that Iyer is bad because he cant get into Indian is not.As a batsman, getting into Indian teams top 3 is a tough job.

Wow I never said he is bad. I said he shouldn't be compared to Babar when he isn't a regular for India.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Wow I never said he is bad. I said he shouldn't be compared to Babar when he isn't a regular for India.
    The whole point of him not regular for Indian lineup is due to numerous options available. There is KL Rahul, Pant, Shaw knocking on the door to make it into Indian lineup.

Iyer still looks unfinish product to me, however from whatever we saw against SL he do have strong off side and not so strong leg side. It would be interesting to see how he fares in SA if he is selected. If he doesnt improve his leg side game then teams will work him out.

As of now Babar Azam is comfortably ahead of him, however Azam needs to perform against top teams in order to join the elite group alongside QdK. The comparison is flawed as one is established batsman for his team while the other is only trying to get in.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comparing shreyas to babar is like comparing babar to kohli. U can't compare 2 cricketers when 1 has played many more matches.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shreyas just walked in and didn’t impress as Babar did.

Debut
    May 2006
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I think he will probably add about 15 runs to his average like Tendulkar did to his average from the 11th Test to the end of this career. However, that only gets Babar to 39, which is not quite what the team needs for a better future.
    Where did you come up with that 15 runs number? History is littered with batsmen that started with averages in the 20s. Do you remember how Steve Smith started his career? Mohammad Yousuf? Younis Khan? And that's without doing much research, you can find many more if you do research.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aniket1911 View Post
    While, Babar being better batsman currently is indubitable. This fad of lampooning the guy with unusual technique should be abnegated, even if the guy doesn't imbue the cricketing perfectionist in you. Even if it currently seems iniquitous to compare a newbie with babar, I feel Iyer will surpass him someday impact-wise expounded by the fact that anchor roles that babar play is of less impact compared to shreyas whose modus operandi seems to give impetus to the innings in the middle. The way he invigorated the RR by being busy at the crease and not letting the spinners to settle was something amiss from the team since Raina left and portend of a possible replacement.That being said, it will quite an onerous task for him to stay in the team once Kohli arrives.
    Are you reading Shashi Tharoor now-a-days?
    Agree to the points made.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Manitoba
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At least iyer got into indian team and scored decent

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's unfair on both to compare at this stage. Babar doesn't deserve to have comparisons with another rookie who just came into the scene when he's made one of the best ODI career starts, period, and Iyer has barely got his feet wet in international cricket to give himself the opportunity to be compared. Give it some time, Rahul and Babar is a fair comparison for that reason, it's the same reason why Fahim vs Pandya is not.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I gotta say Barbar got tighter technique than Iyer. He has done well against touring sides. He has the tendency to score at faster clip in all formats with lot of risks. I am not sure he will survive long with this plonk the front foot and hit through the line technique. I will be shocked if he is successful

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Manitoba
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A few months in the finals of a tri-series tournament in South Africa Iyer toyed with the South Africa-A bowling attack and made 140 in 131 balls to lead India A to the title.
    In a three-day warm-up fixture between India A and the visiting Australian side earlier this year,Iyer had lambasted the Aussie spinners — Nathan Lyon and Stephen O'Keefe — and raced to a double hundred at run a ball with seven sixes.
    Against SL he has 2 fifties in 3 ODIs..
    That shows talent and capabilty.
    Iyer may not be compared to Babar as of now, that i agree as sample size is too small, but if Iyer does manage to cement his place as no 4 in Indian team, this thread may well turn out to be Akmal vs Kohli type of thread.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Haven't been impressed by any young Indian batsman after Rahul. Let's see what Shreyas is made of.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    Nagpur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Another premature and meaningless comparison. Shreyas Iyer is just starting his career and hasn't played enough to compare with anyone. He needs to first establish himself in the Indian X1 before we can compare him with anyone.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even i am also skeptical about Iyer. But one thing is for sure , the bloke has immense self confidence and seems like a clutch player. If he clicks , he will be a high impact player .

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please don't call Babar as Bobby. Makes me cringe to no end.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shreyas is a complete hack, Babar has a limited technique while KL Rahul is easily the best all-round player of the lot technically.

Of course, confidence and fitness are equally if not more important than technique so knows how their careers are going to progress.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    india
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This comparison isn't exciting.
    Let iyer establish himself in odi first.
    He isnt gonna play test cricket any soon either. Rohit karun shanker pandya etc are all ahead of him for no. 6 spot.

Babar vs rahul is somewhat worthy comparison but
    babar's best competitor is de kock IMO. He is regular in all 3 formats like babar.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1023 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Babar Azam has more potential than any other young Asian batsman. Ilyer has played six matches and you're comparing him with someone who is already a world class ODI batsman. Sad.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    Waiting for people to come and say ďIndian batsmen canít be compared with Pakistani batsmenĒ and conclude that Shreyas > Babar

Canít wait for this Shreyas to play against us, heíd be a sitting duck.
    Babajee, lets encourage the new kid instead of totally degrading him so much down. All the best to both young batsmen.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nombre View Post
    Shreyas is a complete hack, Babar has a limited technique while KL Rahul is easily the best all-round player of the lot technically.

Of course, confidence and fitness are equally if not more important than technique so knows how their careers are going to progress.
    Limited technique? Elaborate.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like shreyas iyer technique ,looks ugly with excessive high backlift and slices the ball.I think azam has better technique and for now is obviously ahead.But iyer keeps scoring despite his technique which shows as smith did that you don't need classic technique to score runs.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    1, For Pakistan perspective Babar Azam is our best batsman but in overall he is no where near to Shreyas Iyer who has better defense, shot selection and selfless for the team.
    2. Babar has potential to be a good accumulator (Fawad Alam) in shorter format but he is can't be a game changer like AB, Smith, Kohli, Root, Rohit... Shreyas Iyer does have potential to be an explosive batsman.
    3. Babar has no future in test due to his poor defense and timidness, Shreyas Iyer can do well in test.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prayas View Post
    Hope Babar don't end up like Umar Akmal and Shreyas Iyer became new Kohli later stage.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    1, For Pakistan perspective Babar Azam is our best batsman but in overall he is no where near to Shreyas Iyer who has better defense, shot selection and selfless for the team.
    2. Babar has potential to be a good accumulator (Fawad Alam) in shorter format but he is can't be a game changer like AB, Smith, Kohli, Root, Rohit... Shreyas Iyer does have potential to be an explosive batsman.
    3. Babar has no future in test due to his poor defense and timidness, Shreyas Iyer can do well in test.
    Hope Babar don't end up like Umar Akmal and Shreyas Iyer became new Kohli later stage.
    Over exaggeration, he is a very fine batsman

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shreyas Iyer plays with hard hands and lacks any real timing even when set, as he is generally late on the ball (which generally suggests a lack of natural ability). He draws the bat in from the off-side like Guptill, which makes him vulnerable, and tail-ender esque against any swing or seam movement (re Dharamsala innings). Taking that into consideration Iyer wonít survive in test cricket outside of Asia. Iyer having a better defensive technique than Babar is a mere delusion.

The only aspect in which he is superior to Babar is the ability to hit, which is a aspect that Babar has to work on and will be capable of doing as he has the levers and timing to do so.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Azamgarh, U.P, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WengerOut View Post
    Even i am also skeptical about Iyer. But one thing is for sure , the bloke has immense self confidence and seems like a clutch player. If he clicks , he will be a high impact player .
    I was thinking on the same line..

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip32 View Post
    Shreyas Iyer plays with hard hands and lacks any real timing even when set, as he is generally late on the ball (which generally suggests a lack of natural ability). He draws the bat in from the off-side like Guptill, which makes him vulnerable, and tail-ender esque against any swing or seam movement (re Dharamsala innings). Taking that into consideration Iyer wonít survive in test cricket outside of Asia. Iyer having a better defensive technique than Babar is a mere delusion.

The only aspect in which he is superior to Babar is the ability to hit, which is a aspect that Babar has to work on and will be capable of doing as he has the levers and timing to do so.
    A certain Amla has his back lift coming from point. Graeme Smith had an angled bat. In my view , both came out really well.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giri26 View Post
    Another premature and meaningless comparison. Shreyas Iyer is just starting his career and hasn't played enough to compare with anyone. He needs to first establish himself in the Indian X1 before we can compare him with anyone.
    KING kholi is better than both of them

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh oh... let's hope for Pakistani fans this doesn't go the Umar Akmal vs Kohli way lol. Both are great young batsman. I hope it's a much closer contest.

Iyer has impressed me a lot. It's initial days for him, but he's looked good. IMO Kohli should take a big call as captain and push himself down to four to let Iyer bat at 3.

Iyer is known to score quick, so Kohli can do better at 4 to control India's batting. India needs some weight in the middle order now since Dhoni isn't as good as he used to be. Also it solves our number four problem.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A certain Amla has his back lift coming from point. Graeme Smith had an angled bat. In my view , both came out really well.
    But Shreyas lacks the natural ability to make up for it. Hence, he tries to muscle the ball a lot as he is unable to play a balanced cricketing stroke unless itís a 130 kph trundler.

Amla has a bat swirl but does not really angle the bat in from point.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But Shreyas lacks the natural ability to make up for it. Hence, he tries to muscle the ball a lot as he is unable to play a balanced cricketing stroke unless itís a 130 kph trundler.

Amla has a bat swirl but does not really angle the bat in from point.
    Give the kid some time. Lets see what he made of. Although the comparison with Babar is uncalled for.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't like to hype batsmen unnecessarily. Kohli is from another planet compared to Shreyas Iyer. Iye a bit less hack than Yusuf pathan. His game is high risk game. So won't be a reliable batsman for one thing. Also he can be exposed easily. As somoone said KL Rahul will have better future overall as he has an all round game to be solid stroke player.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsan17 View Post
    Where did you come up with that 15 runs number? History is littered with batsmen that started with averages in the 20s. Do you remember how Steve Smith started his career? Mohammad Yousuf? Younis Khan? And that's without doing much research, you can find many more if you do research.
    M Yousuf after 11 matches: http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting

Younis Khan after 11 matches: http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting

Steve Smith after 11 matches: http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting

Only Smith averaged 29. Please check before posting. In any case, justifying someone's failures by citing exceptions is outrageous.

In merit vs potential, potential usually causes the greatest heartbreak

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give the kid some time. Lets see what he made of. Although the comparison with Babar is uncalled for.
    Just not that impressed, Pandey looks a better prospect.

Debut
    May 2006
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asfandyar View Post
    M Yousuf after 11 matches: http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting

Younis Khan after 11 matches: http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting

Steve Smith after 11 matches: http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting

Only Smith averaged 29. Please check before posting. In any case, justifying someone's failures by citing exceptions is outrageous.
    FYI - YK's average dropped later on and then picked up after the India series in 2005. This is not about how close other players' averages were to 25. Fact of the matter is their averages were poor, and they got much better later on. No one is justifying the failure, it's just that Babar Azam appears to have the most potential to go on and do big things amongst young Pakistani batsmen. Whether he does that remains to be seen.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsan17 View Post
    FYI - YK's average dropped later on and then picked up after the India series in 2005. This is not about how close other players' averages were to 25. Fact of the matter is their averages were poor, and they got much better later on. No one is justifying the failure, it's just that Babar Azam appears to have the most potential to go on and do big things amongst young Pakistani batsmen. Whether he does that remains to be seen.
    Babar averaged in the mid 30s in FC for a considerable time, then scored a 266 which propelled his avg to around 40 when he debuted. A brilliant ODI player (and rightly so as he has one of the top List-A records in Pakistan), his FC average ceiling of 40 is quite mediocre, and many batsmen in domestics have that average. What we should look for is someone who averages 45+ over a sustained period. If, however, you think potential should guide selection instead of performance, read my signature.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar averaged in the mid 30s in FC for a considerable time, then scored a 266 which propelled his avg to around 40 when he debuted. A brilliant ODI player (and rightly so as he has one of the top List-A records in Pakistan), his FC average ceiling of 40 is quite mediocre, and many batsmen in domestics have that average. What we should look for is someone who averages 45+ over a sustained period. If, however, you think potential should guide selection instead of performance, read my signature.
    Babar still averages in the mid 30s. But has excellent average in LOIs. We will have to wait and see how he turns out in Test cricket. On the other hand Shreyas has excellent FC stats and has impressed on and all. He doesn't seem to have the best of technique.. But whatever he has seems to be working from him at the FC level. Lets see if he can elevate his game to Intl cricket

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, obviously either he will do better than 24 or won't play that long.. I actually think 10k run a stretch target for Babar. Now that number of tests are reducing overall and Pakistan tend to play 2 test match series more, he may not have enough time. If we assume Pakistan plays 8 test matches an year for the next 17 years (total around 140 tests) and Babar plays in 80% of those matches he will play approximately around 110 more test matches.. So he might end up playing around 125 test matches in total and for him to reach that 10k goal he will have to score around 85 runs/test match for the reminder of his career. Currently Kohli, Root and Kane are all scoring anywhere between 80 to 88 per test match. So Babar will have to lift his game to their level to reach 10k test runs.. he can do it, but it is not going to be easy. Safer prediction would be around 8k runs if he cements his place

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Limited technique? Elaborate.
    See struggles with the red ball. Can't rotate strike with a close field, can't play attacking spin well.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should be compared with Rahul.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nombre View Post
    See struggles with the red ball. Can't rotate strike with a close field, can't play attacking spin well.
    His issues with the red ball are more to do with pacing his innings and general temperament rather than any technical fault. He did have an issue with the head falling on to off side when playing on the leg side in Aus, which Hazlewood exploited very well (much like how Cummins has done so against Root) but heís rectified that issue.

Babar does have his troubles against spin bowling, thatís one aspect he has to improve in; but for the first time in a long time we have a batsman thatís a natural player of pace bowling.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He hasnít played FC cricket since his international debut, you genuinely believe he hasnít improved as a player?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Compare him to Umar and he'll end up a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He hasn’t played FC cricket since his international debut, you genuinely believe he hasn’t improved as a player?
    What I believe is irrelevant. What facts point towards is that he should be sent back to the domestics (FC) to find his feet, or his ODI form will suffer due to his poor Test form.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I believe is irrelevant. What facts point towards is that he should be sent back to the domestics (FC) to find his feet, or his ODI form will suffer due to his poor Test form.
    But his test form hasnít been affected due to his poor test exploits as of now, which suggests it isnít a form issue.

Heís one of those players the management have indentified as future leader of the batting attack (already is in ODI cricket). With this you have to invest in the player, as you know that the small amount of extra faith given with be repaid in consistent performances for many years.

The West Indies have identified Hope as player theyíre going to invest in; and look at the manner in which heís repaid the faith given by the management. He averaged a poultry 18.xx (with a large sample size as well, donít remember the exact no. of tests he had played at that point) before his Headingly heroics. Heís growing in confidence and fluency in every innings, and I have no doubt that in a couple of seasons he will eventually establish himself as a world class player.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good innings from Shreyas Iyer today..

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Babar has already made a name for himself.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar has established himself as a top batsman.

Iyer has some way to go...

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iyer has a long way to go to establish himself.

Babar has established himself in limited overs and is on his way to making his name in test cricket as well.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comparing Iyer to Babar is like comparing Shahzad to Rohit.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pillionrider View Post
    Comparing Iyer to Babar is like comparing Shahzad to Rohit.
    Loll

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Glasgow/Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iyer who??

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are we fooling ourselves?! When will we ever learn! Babar is miles ahead of this Iyer.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Shekhar View Post
    Why are we fooling ourselves?! When will we ever learn! Babar is miles ahead of this Iyer.
    Thread was started long back.

There is no comparison currently and will never be. Babar has gone too far ahead.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iyer is average

" you don't play for the crowd, you play for your country " - MSD

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Iyer is a strong leader and is also talented

The comparison is valid but Iyer needs a year or two before we open the thread again

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Babar is top notch .. there is no comparison yet, Iyer needs to establish himself in the team as a regular first.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Germany
    Runs
    Mentioned
    930 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    The comparison looks unfair at the moment Babur is well established in Pakistan team and now creating the right name for himself internationally. I think Babur is more comparable to players like De Kock.

جاگن والیاں رجّ کے لٹیا اے،
    سوئے تسیں وی او، سوئے اسیں وی آں۔

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhump View Post
    The comparison looks unfair at the moment Babur is well established in Pakistan team and now creating the right name for himself internationally. I think Babur is more comparable to players like De Kock.
    You're being very kind and generous sir. Let me tell you this as an Indian - Iyer is a very average batsman and will not be able to stand 1 over of good bowling from the likes of Starc/Amir/Rabada.