Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    So much for my theory about his eyes going. His bat looked a mile wide.

He seems to have become hit and miss this past year, though. I still think they should drop him to #3, to get the maximum runs out his last two years.
    That's a good idea, would like to see him at no.3 or no.4. Who would open though? Will be tough to replace him even a Cook which has significant wear/tear

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So much for my theory about his eyes going. His bat looked a mile wide.

He seems to have become hit and miss this past year, though. I still think they should drop him to #3, to get the maximum runs out his last two years.
    Many of us were starting to worry that he was a goner. We are all happy to be proven 100% wrong I think.

Agreed that his long-term future may not be in opening the batting anymore. There is too much peril for him facing the new ball on spicier wickets - I would argue that his reflexes have indeed slowed slightly under those conditions. He sees the fast, shiny ball (particularly when aimed at his head) a bit later than he used to and this is causing him to suffer many a cheap dismissal. He was out hooking in Brisbane and I can’t remember Alastair Cook ever getting out hooking - in the past he would pull those balls to the boundary for four.

Grinding teams to death on these slower, lower wickets meanwhile is his speciality - so he should bat at either 3 or 4, with Root occupying the other spot. And Stoneman + Hameed to open.

In my opinion, rightly or wrongly Alastair has secured his place in the team for the rest of his career with this innings. He will be permitted by the selectors to dine out on it for as long as he wishes. Hopefully he does not overstay his welcome and equally I am praying that this was not his last monster score.

Life in the old dog yet!!

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Many of us were starting to worry that he was a goner. We are all happy to be proven 100% wrong I think.

Agreed that his long-term future may not be in opening the batting anymore. There is too much peril for him facing the new ball on spicier wickets - I would argue that his reflexes have indeed slowed slightly under those conditions. He sees the fast, shiny ball (particularly when aimed at his head) a bit later than he used to and this is causing him to suffer many a cheap dismissal. He was out hooking in Brisbane and I can’t remember Alastair Cook ever getting out hooking - in the past he would pull those balls to the boundary for four.

Grinding teams to death on these slower, lower wickets meanwhile is his speciality - so he should bat at either 3 or 4, with Root occupying the other spot. And Stoneman + Hameed to open.

In my opinion, rightly or wrongly Alastair has secured his place in the team for the rest of his career with this innings. He will be permitted by the selectors to dine out on it for as long as he wishes. Hopefully he does not overstay his welcome and equally I am praying that this was not his last monster score.

Life in the old dog yet!!
    I was never proven wrong always had faith in Cook, his mental fortitude has always been his main strength which makes him very un-English or should I be saying un-Yorkshire ;)

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    748 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">������������ <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ashes?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Ashes</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cook?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cook</a> <a href="https://t.co/cQkSmY08Nz">pic.twitter.com/cQkSmY08Nz</a></p>&mdash; James Taylor (@jamestaylor20) <a href="https://twitter.com/jamestaylor20/status/946311061694803968?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 28, 2017</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">������������ <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ashes?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Ashes</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cook?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cook</a> <a href="https://t.co/cQkSmY08Nz">pic.twitter.com/cQkSmY08Nz</a></p>— James Taylor (@jamestaylor20) <a href="https://twitter.com/jamestaylor20/status/946311061694803968?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 28, 2017</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    Serves those bogan ad makers right.

Dazzling the stage, Ginga Bishonen. Shinpathy!

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Envy is a sad thing to witness.

England and Australia have a strong bond, like brothers who are ferocious rivals but love each other for all that. We’ll be contesting the Ashes long after everyone else stops playing tests. Last, as we we were first.

Well done England today. Don’t shout too loud, but Jimmy is heading for his best every Australian series. Eighteen wickets so far, with three innings left? Broad finally shows up. Great to see Cheffy turn back the clock. Hope he piles it on tomorrow, got to apply scoreboard pressure to win this.
    With the rampant ill-discipline and one of your star players deciding to go brawling in the streets weeks before the tour. Doesn't seem to me England treating this "ferocious rivalry" with the respect and demands it requires.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Phaintey this....
    Bouy im impressed

SIR DONALD BRADMAN ------SORRY, BUT NO ONE LIKE HIM

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Clouds over the ground.....

Orthodox new ball swing for England, then reverse due to the abrasive wicket?

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Alastair Cook carries his bat after Anderson is out on the first ball of the day, I wouldn't mind having the cherry in my hand right now if I were England

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From 88,000+ to just a smattering of people today. What's wrong?

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USofA View Post
    Fairweather Aussies, only show up when their team is on top. Never been the most patriotic bunch to be fair.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Back to work for most people.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Good solid start by Australia. England need some quick wickets.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    33/0

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moeen ‘ALL ROUNDER’ Ali have been utter rubbish both with bat and ball. He is complete liability outside of England and doesn’t warrant a selection neither as a batsman nor as a bowler. His bits and peice crap have been terribly exposed. Where are all his fans who were rating him as best allrounder LOL

England should really try out Mason for last test in Sydney, as it is known to assist spinners. England management are really hard on young spinners as they never give opportunities to youngsters even when series is lost.
    Last edited by CanadianG00se; 29th December 2017 at 01:32.

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stuart Broad plays Nathan Lyon better than Ali does

Dazzling the stage, Ginga Bishonen. Shinpathy!

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2 wickets down at lunch and still 90 runs to reach parity. England in a good position but need to get Smith and Warner this afternoon to really hammer home the advantage. If Smith is one half of a big partnership then England could still face a very testing chase in the 4th innings.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by volcyz View Post
    Stuart Broad plays Nathan Lyon better than Ali does
    Broad despite all the critics surrounding him played an important knock and supported Cook. Whereas Ali with his useless T20 style cameo was even more useless than Anderson’s duck. At least Anderson managed to hung around and allowed Cook to score unlike so called Allrounder LOL.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Jeddah, Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, I was there yesterday and official attendance was 61,839.

I don't think that's just a "smattering" of people.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Jeddah, Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw my 1st cricket match live yesterday at the MCG and it felt like I was in heaven. My 2 fav ENG batsmen were at the crease and I was damn lucky to see Cook get his daddy double. Crowd and Barmy Army in particular were thunderous and wonderful. Atmosphere was awesome. A cricket lover's dream come true. Gonna be there for the T20 as well in MCG.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Play has not moved on much today. Looks like this might turn out to be a typical English rain-affected draw.

Even if we get a 98-over day tomorrow, then the match will probably be drawn. An Australia win would be almost entirely out of the question. However there would still be a minute chance of an England win.

Not 0-5 at least....

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Rain saved England @Gilly.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Square Drive View Post
    Rain saved England @Gilly.
    It did. Smith and Warner would have made sure Aus would be in the lead by now. Eng then would be 100 AO tomorrow afternoon.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    A frustrating day, but England can still win if they get Warner and Smith out early.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Looks like it's headed towards a draw.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    748 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Warner getting a move on now, Australia have almost wiped out England's lead... almost 77 overs left.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Super flat pitch.

I can’t believe Aus onlybscored 300 in their first inngs.

Warner can score a double today and Smith can rack up another century.

Terrible terrible pitch.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    WArner gifted his wicket.

ShaunMarsh choked.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the rough outside the leg stump England sure misses a proper leg spinner. In Australia Wrist spinners are always handy.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is such a road. Not even Aussie bowlers could use it.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    5th day wicket not helping spinners?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    5th day wicket not helping spinners?
    All the rough is outside the leg stump of right handers. So offies can't get anything out of it.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianG00se View Post
    Moeen ‘ALL ROUNDER’ Ali have been utter rubbish both with bat and ball. He is complete liability outside of England and doesn’t warrant a selection neither as a batsman nor as a bowler. His bits and peice crap have been terribly exposed. Where are all his fans who were rating him as best allrounder LOL
    Captain seems to have lost faith in him. Has bowled only 8 out of the 91 overs in this innings.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    incredibly poor pitch

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor series for everyone from England bar Anderson.

Root, Broad and Moen in particular were very dismal.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SMith on target to score another 100. What a run machine!

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Unfit pitch for test cricket.

Still, at least it won’t be 0-5 again. 0-3 would be a fair reflection on these two sides in Australia.

I would like to see Wood in for Curran and Crane in for Moeen for the final test. Poor Moeen is having a mare, I thought he would have got a century by now.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Truly thought we were looking at a 5-0 sweep here.

England did well to draw the test and might have won if the pitch wasn't such a dud!

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now what was gained here?
    Really these type of wickets dont help.

Test cricket not helping itself here.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfit pitch for test cricket.

Still, at least it won’t be 0-5 again. 0-3 would be a fair reflection on these two sides in Australia.

I would like to see Wood in for Curran and Crane in for Moeen for the final test. Poor Moeen is having a mare, I thought he would have got a century by now.
    I do not recall any off spinner (including Murali) having a good day in Australia without help of seamers. But leggies always do well in Australia because of bounce. This has been the history for decades. Not sure why teams don't pick leggies in their side when they tour Australia.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Do they not update player rankings after every match? With the scores Smith got in this match he should definitely be moving closer to Bradman.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    Captain seems to have lost faith in him. Has bowled only 8 out of the 91 overs in this innings.
    Tbh Ali hasn’t really done anything to deserve much backing from captain. His bowling is complete useless, heck even Root has managed to outbowled him on same pitch. People have been criticising Broad and Cook for Ashes defeat but in my view Ali is biggest culprit. England management should understand that test matches are never won with bits and peices player and in this current England setup they seemed to carry 2 such players. Anyways i have been enjoying how Ali have been shown his rightful place. Getting few cheap wickets at home doesnt make one a Worldclass Allrounder.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    I do not recall any off spinner (including Murali) having a good day in Australia without help of seamers. But leggies always do well in Australia because of bounce. This has been the history for decades. Not sure why teams don't pick leggies in their side when they tour Australia.
    The only reason Ali have been selected ahead of Mason Crane is as the former is ‘allrounder’ and can bat( which he hasnt the entire ashes series). This ‘utility player’ mentality is reason why England suffered 4-0 defeat in India last year, now it seems they will have same fate in this Ashes series.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianG00se View Post
    The only reason Ali have been selected ahead of Mason Crane is as the former is ‘allrounder’ and can bat( which he hasnt the entire ashes series). This ‘utility player’ mentality is reason why England suffered 4-0 defeat in India last year, now it seems they will have same fate in this Ashes series.
    Actually it was because Moeen was the best spinner in England and Wales, shocking as that reads.