Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Australia [649/7d] beat England [346 & 180] in the 5th Test by an innings & 123 runs; Win Ashes 4-0

Teams:
    Australia (From):
    Cameron Bancroft, David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Steven Smith(c), Shaun Marsh, Mitchell Marsh, Tim Paine(w), Pat Cummins, Jackson Bird, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon, Peter Handscomb, Mitchell Starc, Ashton Agar

England (From): Alastair Cook, Mark Stoneman, James Vince, Joe Root(c), Dawid Malan, Jonny Bairstow(w), Moeen Ali, Tom Curran, Mason Crane, Stuart Broad, James Anderson, Gary Ballance, Ben Foakes, Jake Ball

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The Ashes have been pretty boring so far. Shame.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Toss delayed due to rain.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    England won the toss and elected to Bat. One change from both the sides, Mason Crane gets his debut in place of injured Chris Woakes and Mitchell Starc returns for Australia in place of Jackson Bird.

Teams:

Australia (Playing XI): Cameron Bancroft, David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Steven Smith(c), Shaun Marsh, Mitchell Marsh, Tim Paine(w), Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood

England (Playing XI): Alastair Cook, Mark Stoneman, James Vince, Joe Root(c), Dawid Malan, Jonny Bairstow(w), Moeen Ali, Tom Curran, Mason Crane, Stuart Broad, James Anderson

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Steady start for England

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    762 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Batted Malan. Keep going, grind away at them. They look down on pace.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    England 218/3

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Man, Root is so good but this is hilarious now.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Root with another conversion failure.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Joe Fitty.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excellent finish for Australia.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Eng end day 1 of the 5th Test on 233/5 after they won the toss and elected to bat; It could have ended better for Eng but wickets of Root (83) & Bairstow (5) have set them back; Malan is 55*, whilst 2 wickets apiece for Aus's Cummins & Hazlewood #Ashes #AusvEng

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Why didnt England take on a nightwatchman and expose Bairstow? False Bravado?
    Last edited by MenInG; 4th January 2018 at 10:52.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Why didnt England take on a nightwatchman and expose Bairstow? False Bravado?
    Australia all-rounder Mitchell Marsh admitted that England's decision not to send in a night-watchman late on day one puzzled him.

Marsh held onto a sharp chance to get rid of Joe Root in what turned out to be the penultimate over of the day.

Root was followed back into the hut by Jonny Bairstow, who rejected the offer of a night-watchman only to get a jaffer from Josh Hazlewood that saw him nick off and left England 233 for 5 at stumps.

Marsh told ABC after play: "I was very surprised I didn't see a night-watchman for England - Gaz [Nathan Lyon] has been padded up for me a couple of times in a few games.

"I think it's going to be a very good pitch to bat on. It dried out pretty quickly today."

England may yet come to rue the decision to bat first if the pitch does indeed flatten out as the Test progresses.

Things could have been worse for England though with Australia lacking the ruthlessness present in the first three Ashes Tests especially earlier in the day.

Dawid Malan was dropped on 34 and would end the day on 55 not out leaving him carrying England's hopes of a decent first innings total.

Marsh said of the early phases of play: "It was nice to get those late ones. Hopefully we can get the ball swinging in the morning and get into the tail.

"I thought we bowled reasonably well. If we had taken a few chances early on we could have had them seven or eight down, but I thought the boys fought hard all day the ball swung most of the day."

The first session of the day was wiped out by rain but a spot of overtime on the end of a lengthened final session allowed just a handful of overs to be lost.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/As...marsh-20180104

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    earth between north pole and south pole
    Runs
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really frustrating now! Joe what are you doing? Get your act together!He is much better than this!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    This is getting ridiculous for England now....

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/cri...-a3731701.html

Dawid Malan admitted he was surprised to see Jonny Bairstow join him at the crease after England’s poor tactics handed Australia the initiative.

When Joe Root was out for 83 in the penultimate over of the day, Malan expected nightwatchman Mason Crane to join him, with only a handful of deliveries remaining before the close and the second new ball only just taken.

But Bairstow decided to face Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood himself and was caught behind off Hazlewood in the final over of the day, leaving England 233 for five after winning the toss. Malan is 55 not out.

Asked if he had been taken aback by Bairstow’s call, Malan said: “I was a little bit, but the decisions are not for the coaches to make. Jonny made that decision and good on him.

“He probably felt he was better suited for the new ball. Some people like a nightwatchman and some don’t. It takes a lot of guts to go against what people normally do.”

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    This is getting ridiculous for England now....

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/cri...-a3731701.html

Dawid Malan admitted he was surprised to see Jonny Bairstow join him at the crease after England’s poor tactics handed Australia the initiative.

When Joe Root was out for 83 in the penultimate over of the day, Malan expected nightwatchman Mason Crane to join him, with only a handful of deliveries remaining before the close and the second new ball only just taken.

But Bairstow decided to face Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood himself and was caught behind off Hazlewood in the final over of the day, leaving England 233 for five after winning the toss. Malan is 55 not out.

Asked if he had been taken aback by Bairstow’s call, Malan said: “I was a little bit, but the decisions are not for the coaches to make. Jonny made that decision and good on him.

“He probably felt he was better suited for the new ball. Some people like a nightwatchman and some don’t. It takes a lot of guts to go against what people normally do.”
    or lots of stupidity/false bravado. It is not like he has had a great series and brimming with confidence. if i am not mistaken apart from an hundred there is not much for him to show and probably averaging around 35 in this series. After starting the series as the second best batsman in the team, that is quite an ordinary outing. Under such situation having a night watchman is both smart and selfless (yes, selfless) thing to do. But i don't agree Mason was the right person for nightwatchman. it is debut and there was a good chance he would have lost his wicket too. It is all good to say it was Baristow's decision, but situation like this requires input from seniors like Root/Cook and the coach. Pretty poor cricket and match awareness from English team. Series scorecard pretty accurately depicts the quality of English team

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubol123 View Post
    or lots of stupidity/false bravado. It is not like he has had a great series and brimming with confidence. if i am not mistaken apart from an hundred there is not much for him to show and probably averaging around 35 in this series. After starting the series as the second best batsman in the team, that is quite an ordinary outing. Under such situation having a night watchman is both smart and selfless (yes, selfless) thing to do. But i don't agree Mason was the right person for nightwatchman. it is debut and there was a good chance he would have lost his wicket too. It is all good to say it was Baristow's decision, but situation like this requires input from seniors like Root/Cook and the coach. Pretty poor cricket and match awareness from English team. Series scorecard pretty accurately depicts the quality of English team
    Given Bairstow got a bit stuffed over earlier in the series whilst batting at 7 by having to start hitting out a bit because of the tail going down around him I imagine the fact England have an even longer tail without Woakes this game was a factor he considered when deciding if he wanted to drop down 1 or not.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    762 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Nightwatchmen are a defensive tactic. Steve Waugh would not use them, he sent the next batter in. Shows positive intent. In this case it has backfired as the England batting stops with Bairstow right now.

But maybe Moeen has a ton in him tomorrow - there is pride to play for.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I blame Root for exposing Bairstow in the first place.

Was an awful finish to the day for England and yes the tail might wag, and Malan looks an excellent emerging player, but we could just as easily be rolled for 280 now.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    762 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I blame Root for exposing Bairstow in the first place.

Was an awful finish to the day for England and yes the tail might wag, and Malan looks an excellent emerging player, but we could just as easily be rolled for 280 now.
    Yea, it was Root's fault and the tail could get blown away by lunch on day 2.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In the last over, the England captain spooning a leg stump delivery straight to square leg is completely unacceptable. In contrast Bairstow got a beautiful ball in the corridor that moved away and is largely blameless in my view. Root scored 83 priceless runs but he may have blown the match sadly! Either way he must learn from this.
    Last edited by James; 4th January 2018 at 19:25.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    762 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    In the last over, the England captain spooning a leg stump delivery straight to square leg is completely unacceptable. In contrast Bairstow got a beautiful ball in the corridor that moved away and is largely blameless in my view. Root scored 83 priceless runs but he may have blown the match sadly! Either way he must learn from this.
    He reminds me of David Gower to an extent, who looked absolute class then got out in a lazy looking way for 70.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    Given Bairstow got a bit stuffed over earlier in the series whilst batting at 7 by having to start hitting out a bit because of the tail going down around him I imagine the fact England have an even longer tail without Woakes this game was a factor he considered when deciding if he wanted to drop down 1 or not.
    why base that kind of a decision on what happened in the games where they did not compete? why not base their judgement on the game where their tail played well which also happens to be the last game ? we can always come up with an excuse and explanation. But it was very obvious for any sane cricket fan that it was fraught with danger. I sighed as soon as I saw Baristow walking out to play. Atleast if he were in an excellent form may be you can understand that he is itching to get out their and get runs..

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    He reminds me of David Gower to an extent, who looked absolute class then got out in a lazy looking way for 70.
    may be lazy, certainly not as elegant.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nightwatchmen are a defensive tactic. Steve Waugh would not use them, he sent the next batter in. Shows positive intent. In this case it has backfired as the England batting stops with Bairstow right now.

But maybe Moeen has a ton in him tomorrow - there is pride to play for.
    leaving large number of balls is a defensive tactic, ball is there to be hit. bowling outside the leg stump is a defensive tactic and so are many other tactics. nevertheless all of them are valid, legal and the right tactics in many situations. Also what Steve Waugh did is completely irrelevant here as root neither has his captaincy competency(I have not seen any, may be he is hiding it from the world) nor has the kind of team to back up aggressive tactics

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I guess the koalas will be happy

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    Reminded me of this.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good fightback by Curran and Ali. England need to somehow hang in here and get near 350.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Good Partnership this especially after losing Malan so early in the day.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Argh. Good bouncer from Cummins tbf

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    well Moeen falls, right after I posted the above comment. Australia in control now.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is crap bowling from the Aussies

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    18 . 1

Poms need to keep striking at regular intervals.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Moeen Ali introduced in the 9th over

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Poms need to be positive here , they have nothing to loose

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

32 . 1

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Warner continuing to find boundaries , runs coming freely.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England 346/10
    Australia 54-1(18 overs) D Warner 37*
    S Broad 4-14-1

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Australia now slowly building up to a dominating position. England need to get warner soon as he has the ability to run away with the game.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    79 / 1

28 overs

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giri26 View Post
    Australia now slowly building up to a dominating position. England need to get warner soon as he has the ability to run away with the game.
    If Warner bats another session , Aussies will get to 200 .

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Warner eating away into Poms total fast

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Anderson gets big wicket , Warner gone.

The match is alive !

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Smith is 23 runs away from 6 K test runs

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At Tea
    Australia 96/2(34 overs) Warner 56 U Khawaja 36
    J Anderson 8-12-1

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Smith is now averaging 64.02.

And there might be more to come tomorrow.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    762 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Crane is going ok, hasn’t been collared. Hope he gets something to bowl at in the last dig.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    A well-played 91* by Usman Khawaja along with good support by Steve Smith (44*) the highlights of the day as Australia end Day 2 of the 5th Test on a comfortable 193/2 (trail by 153 runs) after England were dismissed for 346 #Ashes #AusvEng #Cricket

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is something about the batting of Steve Smith. I am not talking about his various skills, style etc.
    But, the way his innings starts. Has there ever been a batsman who looks so assured at the start of the innings, say from 0 to 20 runs?

Absolutely no nerves or being shaky to start with. Just no starting trouble. Rock solid at the crease, right from ball 1.

The longer this goes the better will be his greatness,truely one of a kind

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Game in the balance, even if Aussies get a lead (under 80) then we are still in it. Been impressed with Crane.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Crane was OK. Not as good as some of the articles I've seen about yesterday's play but he didn't bowl too many crap balls which is the biggest thing and already makes him better than Adil Rashid.

Unfortunately, I don't trust the English batsmen to put enough runs on the board to give Crane something to defend when the pitch is better for spinners.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    762 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubol123 View Post
    Also what Steve Waugh did is completely irrelevant here as root neither has his captaincy competency(I have not seen any, may be he is hiding it from the world) nor has the kind of team to back up aggressive tactics
    Was Steve Waugh a good captain? Or did he just have an excellent team?

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Was Steve Waugh a good captain? Or did he just have an excellent team?
    Steve Waugh was an excellent captain, having a great team does not make being captain easy.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has to be one of the most boring Ashes series for neutral fans since 2002-03.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    762 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Steve Waugh was an excellent captain, having a great team does not make being captain easy.
    In what regard was he excellent? I'd say Tubby was excellent tactically, Border good and Ponting bad.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Khwaja reaches

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the few decent batsmen Pakistan has ever produced* was destined to play for Australia.

* playing the technicality here.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Smith is unstoppable once he is set.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    In what regard was he excellent? I'd say Tubby was excellent tactically, Border good and Ponting bad.
    He was excellent tactically and Ponting was excellent in the way he managed his star players keeping the team on track. Ponting also was brilliant in the way he developed younger players and worked with them in introducing them into the team.

I'm only going off what the players that actually played under these players say about Waugh and Ponting. The players themselves have said time and time again that they were great captains. Maybe you know more than the players that played under them.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Smith is unstoppable once he is set.
    He's one of those batsmen where you truly have to get him out early or it's over.

Once Smith gets set, the elite hand-eye coordination takes control and he becomes impossible to dislodge. Even good deliveries get put away.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingusama92 View Post
    He's one of those batsmen where you truly have to get him out early or it's over.

Once Smith gets set, the elite hand-eye coordination takes control and he becomes impossible to dislodge. Even good deliveries get put away.
    Don't forget the mental toughness.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Toothless attack.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Great knock from Khawaja.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Dublin
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    End of a horrible innings from Khawaja. He probably did his team's chances more harm than good.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    End of a horrible innings from Khawaja. He probably did his team's chances more harm than good.
    171 is horrible?

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    762 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    He was excellent tactically and Ponting was excellent in the way he managed his star players keeping the team on track. Ponting also was brilliant in the way he developed younger players and worked with them in introducing them into the team.

I'm only going off what the players that actually played under these players say about Waugh and Ponting. The players themselves have said time and time again that they were great captains. Maybe you know more than the players that played under them.
    Fair enough on Waugh, it’s hard to argue with that record though I reckon I could have skippered that side to a few test wins.

Once Ponting lost McWarne he was pretty badly exposed as someone tactically inept, and even in 2005 he could spit the dummy under pressure. The win-up merchant Vaughan got in his head.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pretty depressing stuff, looks like 4-0. 3-1 now out of the question and 3-0 pretty unlikely too.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't even noticed this match.Is this the usual pattas Aussies dish if we go by scoreboard?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Australia end Day 3 of the 5th Test on a strong 479/4 with a lead of 133 runs; An unbroken partnership of 104* between Shaun Marsh (98*) and Mitchell Marsh (63*) seems to be taking the game away from the wary vistors #Ashes #AusvEng #Cricket

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    762 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    When England bat again, Lyon will be a big threat with the fielders up.

Well, the chickens came home to roost. At the beginning of the series I said 1-4 if Stokes played. They picked the wrong attack and half a batting line and were found out.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Didn't even noticed this match.Is this the usual pattas Aussies dish if we go by scoreboard?
    England made 346, whats the excuse for that.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Crane is going ok, hasn’t been collared. Hope he gets something to bowl at in the last dig.
    Crane looks like he is a prospect but also looks three or four years away from being a test cricketer.

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    762 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Crane looks like he is a prospect but also looks three or four years away from being a test cricketer.
    Yeah, they have to look after him, get him effective coaching, think long term.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think play him “horses for courses” in his youth and get his confidence up on the more helpful pitches, then bring him in full-time in a few years. He would be good at Old Trafford and the Oval at the moment, but would likely get battered at the likes of Headingley, Lord’s and Trent Bridge.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    762 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I think play him “horses for courses” in his youth and get his confidence up on the more helpful pitches, then bring him in full-time in a few years. He would be good at Old Trafford and the Oval at the moment, but would likely get battered at the likes of Headingley, Lord’s and Trent Bridge.
    Agreed. Let the seamers and Moeen do most of the work in the first dig at OT and the Oval, and give him a long run second dig.

But he has to be the main spinner by the time we tour Asia again.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Expecting some turn over the next 2 days which will bring Lyon into the game. Should be a win for Australia.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    500 up for Australia.