User Tag List

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

H&M apologises following backlash over 'racist' image of child model on website

Retail giant H&M has been forced to apologise after it used a black child to model a hoodie with the slogan “coolest monkey in the jungle”.

Social media users branded the advert “racist” and “unacceptable”, prompting the high street chain to remove the image from its online collection and replace it with a photo of the jumper.

“What universe do you live in that makes it okay to flaunt your racist ways in such an epic portion," one user called Alexandra Foucard, wrote on Twitter, calling for other users to boycott the shop.
    Name:  h&M.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  50.2 KB

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a8147641.html

I hope this wasn't deliberate act by some employee. I cant believe nobody said anything, not even the camera man or those who publish the photos for H&M. They have apologised but have given no explanation.

Or maybe everyone needs to stop being so politically correct?

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you see everything with the lens of racism then everything will seem racist.

So those people who are seething to take down this image are saying that no person of color will purchase this jumper and wear it?

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Using cute monkey on kids and infant clothing is not new. My son used to wear a dress with "Bananas for Mommy" and a cute picture of Monkey on it.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They should have put a white kid's pic alongside him wearing the same hoodie and everyone would have loved it and called it cute and stuff.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    In your dil, but not in your dimaag.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    PC / Special snowflake culture.

Swing it like Akram, whack it like Afridi, live it like Inti.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    Using cute monkey on kids and infant clothing is not new. My son used to wear a dress with "Bananas for Mommy" and a cute picture of Monkey on it.
    Im assuming your son is not black?

Dont you remember andrew symonds thought Bhajji called him a monkey? This insult has been said to black people for decades. What might not be racist to Asians could be racist to others.

Its a tough one as ideally it would be nice to have this term no longer associated with racism. Cute little monkey shouldnt be seen a racist to a black person but we dont live in a perfect world.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post

So those people who are seething to take down this image are saying that no person of color will purchase this jumper and wear it?
    I agree I think some parents would buy this for this child but depends on the society they live in I guess.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Im assuming your son is not black?

Dont you remember andrew symonds thought Bhajji called him a monkey? This insult has been said to black people for decades. What might not be racist to Asians could be racist to others.

Its a tough one as ideally it would be nice to have this term no longer associated with racism. Cute little monkey shouldnt be seen a racist to a black person but we dont live in a perfect world.
    My Son is Brown like me.

Examples like this shows that living in a Multi Racial society leads to unwanted issues.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My Son is Brown like me.

Examples like this shows that living in a Multi Racial society leads to unwanted issues.
    Not really, it's great to live in a society where you get to meet people from so many different backgrounds . Of course there are some who are ignorant and backward who despise this but it's a minority.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't know what the big deal is, the top clearly says ' maa ki'.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    652 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Really dumb by H&M. A lot of black peoples will be angered.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its really hard not to look at this with the " lens of racism". You can't just randomly ignore the racist connotations and history attached to the word , Monkey.

Also i don't think this is a "person of colour" issue, its an issue specific to the Black community as this term has been used as an insult against them for decades.
    Last edited by Poutine; 8th January 2018 at 20:41.

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I understand when people look at this stuff at first glance it can seem racist and offensive, but i think you need to consider the intentions of the people behind.

I’m sure they didn’t intend for this to be racist, they probably thought this jumper looked good on this model and that was the end of that.

However, they should’ve considered this sort of reaction before hand and used a white model aswell as a black one. These issues are very complicated and I think if both sides acted with a bit more caution, then we could avoid situations like this.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j_kazmi View Post
    I understand when people look at this stuff at first glance it can seem racist and offensive, but i think you need to consider the intentions of the people behind.

I’m sure they didn’t intend for this to be racist, they probably thought this jumper looked good on this model and that was the end of that.

However, they should’ve considered this sort of reaction before hand and used a white model aswell as a black one. These issues are very complicated and I think if both sides acted with a bit more caution, then we could avoid situations like this.
    So using a white boy makes it okay?

This sort of thinking will make the majority whites in Britain resent the appeasing policies of immigrants and minorities.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Attention seeking attempt.

Seems like they were successful.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sort of thinking will make the majority whites in Britain resent the appeasing policies of immigrants and minorities.
    You're very ignorant about these issues and it's even more suprising cause I believe you're a south indian. Black people have been compared to monkeys by racists through out history and it's only cause of the color of their skin, this is why there have been incidenta of fans in europe throwing bananas at black soccer players. Imagine if Bollywood decides to portray a south indian kid as a monkey, I'm pretty sure you'd be offended considering the history of the north-south divide in India.

"Be the best version of yourself"

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For someone who had absolutely nothing to do in their being born in the west you do come across as very arrogant and frequently throw out the "fresh off the boat"garbage. If I'm fresh off the boat, so are your mum and dad.
    Fight me

"Be the best version of yourself"

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    So many intellectual freshies on this thread bending over backwards to try to appear cool and integrated.

NEWSFLASH: you aren't.

Anyone who lives in the UK would know that in the UK black people are often associated with monkeys, and often referred to as the missing link in evolution. No doubt the same would be true in the USA. Black footballers used to get bananas thrown at them, they still get monkey chants in some inbred East European cities.

I doubt H&M will have done this deliberately for what it's worth, but it still needed to be removed. Now any of you guys who think this is political correctness gone mad, please let me know, and with the mods permission we can make this thread into an open session with some marvellous British ethnic jokes. Who's game?!?

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

if a person of colour buys this they are a ***** and stupid and if you think its not offensive I suggest you reflect on things a bit more..

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j_kazmi View Post

How do you know that? its pretty obvious. I mean cmon. How stupid do you have to be? it was either intentional or stupid. Either way whoever did it needs to face the sack..end of..

by the way for the indian's on here who love to play devils advocate, in the UK there is something called equalities legistlation that prohibits stupidity like this. Many many citizens of Indian origin have fought for this along with their peers. I suggest you lobby Modi sahib to do the same in your country.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post
    Don't know what the big deal is, the top clearly says ' maa ki'.
    hahahhahaha..the best post this year

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont think Andrew Symonds would approve

Debut
    Sep 2007
    Venue
    Unknown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this day and age of social media - people get offended very easily and make a mockery out of little things.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UP View Post
    In this day and age of social media - people get offended very easily and make a mockery out of little things.
    Why do you think it is a little thing?

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    850 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    PC / Special snowflake culture.
    Yeah its "PC" and "snowflake" to avoid calling black people one of the age old anti-black racial slurs.

Maybe the kid should have had a banana in his hand too with the N word tattooed to his forehead.

Its funny seeing desis using the language of the alt-right to seem trendy or cool when it only reveals their ignorance and lack of empathy.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    850 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Okay in that case you'd welcome to see a new promotion this time featuring a Muslim kid:

"The coolest terrorist in the mosque"

Or are racial slurs acceptable when its directed towards blacks instead ?

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    General question here.

Generally when you hear of Moneys, you dont think of the black ones, more like the light brownish ones. So why is monkey here inferred as a racist remark?
    Last edited by Cricfan4eva; 9th January 2018 at 16:43.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    850 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricfan4eva View Post
    General question here.

Generally when you hear of Moneys, you dont think of the black ones, more like the light brownish ones. So why is monkey here inferred as a racist remark?
    Only an ignorant person is unaware of the connotations of the word monkey and jungle when directed towards black people who are of African descent.

Why else are monkey chants directed towards black players in racist incidents involving football crowds ? Do you hear it against players of Asian heritage ?

I can't believe in 2018 this needs to be explained unless you're deliberately trying to be provocative.
    Last edited by Markhor; 9th January 2018 at 17:40.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Only an ignorant person is unaware of the connotations of the word monkey and jungle when directed towards black people who are of African descent.

Why else are monkey chants directed towards black players in racist incidents involving football crowds ? Do you hear it against players of Asian heritage ?

I can't believe in 2018 this needs to be explained unless you're deliberately trying to be provocative.
    I don't watch football.

And yes I know calling a black person monkey is inferred as a racist remark. I just wanted to know why it is so?

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Putting a white person in the picture will make it look less racist is what I meant.

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    How do you know that? its pretty obvious. I mean cmon. How stupid do you have to be? it was either intentional or stupid. Either way whoever did it needs to face the sack..end of..

by the way for the indian's on here who love to play devils advocate, in the UK there is something called equalities legistlation that prohibits stupidity like this. Many many citizens of Indian origin have fought for this along with their peers. I suggest you lobby Modi sahib to do the same in your country.
    On second thought you’re right, it probably was intentional to stir up some social media storm. It really is not very hard for some one to see the racist undertone in this, I’m sure some one would have noticed that this looks a little discriminative if it wasn’t intentional.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    In your dil, but not in your dimaag.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Yeah its "PC" and "snowflake" to avoid calling black people one of the age old anti-black racial slurs.

Maybe the kid should have had a banana in his hand too with the N word tattooed to his forehead.

Its funny seeing desis using the language of the alt-right to seem trendy or cool when it only reveals their ignorance and lack of empathy.
    You're reading too much into it. I never said it's okay to call black people a monkey, but the OP situation looks like a coincidental case. Do you really think H&M, a clothing company worth millions, will do something like this on purpose? Things like monkeys are common on little children's clothings as someone said few posts above.

I don't know what you took from "special snowflake / PC" or what connotations it has in UK, but it means when the person in question is just waiting for even the slightest opportunity to pounce and play victim even if no one had any intention to come off as racist.

It's a kid wearing clothing that many kids wear, it's your prerogative if you want to analyze it and be offended. Keep in mind the kid's parents were presumably okay with him modeling the clothes.

The ironic thing is the people crying racism over something that clearly wasn't intended to be are the ones preventing us as a race to progress into treating everyone equally. You having these connotations in your mind shows that you still can't see people of different backgrounds equally and need to pull out the race card.

Swing it like Akram, whack it like Afridi, live it like Inti.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    With how often this happens, I believe companies do it on purpose.

There's no way you can't see how this would be perceived. Especially these days. I can understand one person missing or ignoring it but the entire team being oblivious (photographer, editor, interns, management) is impossible.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Tone deaf.

But I don't think its intentional at all.

H&M was once criticized for just catering to white crowd and having white models. In recent years they have switched to having a lot of black and brown models. But clearly the design and creative team havent taken that into account

#MPGA

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingusama92 View Post
    With how often this happens, I believe companies do it on purpose.

There's no way you can't see how this would be perceived. Especially these days. I can understand one person missing or ignoring it but the entire team being oblivious (photographer, editor, interns, management) is impossible.
    it can also be a case of juniors not wanting to point out flaws in a decision made by an exective

Unless the management calls it out dont expect editor, interns to point it out.

#MPGA

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    They should have put a white kid's pic alongside him wearing the same hoodie and everyone would have loved it and called it cute and stuff.
    They had a white kid wearing hoodie too but his text said «Survival Expert». Not clever at all.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

yes because the word monkey is not historically associated with demeaning white people?

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    850 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    You're reading too much into it. I never said it's okay to call black people a monkey, but the OP situation looks like a coincidental case. Do you really think H&M, a clothing company worth millions, will do something like this on purpose? Things like monkeys are common on little children's clothings as someone said few posts above.

I don't know what you took from "special snowflake / PC" or what connotations it has in UK, but it means when the person in question is just waiting for even the slightest opportunity to pounce and play victim even if no one had any intention to come off as racist.

It's a kid wearing clothing that many kids wear, it's your prerogative if you want to analyze it and be offended. Keep in mind the kid's parents were presumably okay with him modeling the clothes.

The ironic thing is the people crying racism over something that clearly wasn't intended to be are the ones preventing us as a race to progress into treating everyone equally. You having these connotations in your mind shows that you still can't see people of different backgrounds equally and need to pull out the race card.
    Its a coincidental case to ask the black kid to model in a hoodie featuring the words "monkey in the jungle"

How naive can you be. Look, yes monkey can be used as a term of endearment but its the CONTEXT that matters - and the fact is they asked the black kid to wear that particular hoodie. In 2018, it shouldn't need explaining why black people would take issue, even if the slur was unintentional. Obviously the parents won't object when when their kid is being paid well for the role.

If H&M had a black person working in the creative or advertising department, or liased with a focus group with black members, it could've easily been pointed out how tone deaf this looks. But they didn't bother thinking about their black customers.

But if you think this is fair game, then please don't complain if there's a marketing campaign where a Muslim boy has to market a hoodie entitled "The Coolest Terrorist in the Neighbourhood".

As for the last point - no what's preventing racial progress is people like you who try too hard to be cool on the internet or contrarian by using buzzwords like "people are just looking to be offended", "PC", "snowflake", "crying racism", "race card" because you're incapable of empathy. If MLK was campaigning today he'd dismissed by these same internet hipster wannabes as an "SJW".

What's missing from today's society (and clearly from H&M advertising department) is people being able to look at things from somebody ELSE's perspective instead of speaking from a position of privilege where you've never been on the receiving end of these centuries old racist tropes. If you can't - then don't ask for empathy yourself when in a similar situation.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    But if you think this is fair game, then please don't complain if there's a marketing campaign where a Muslim boy has to market a hoodie entitled "The Coolest Terrorist in the Neighbourhood".
    Not that I disagree with your overall opinion on this but this is the second time in the thread I have seen this example.

How is it remotely comparable?

No one ever uses the word, 'terrorist' as a term of endearment or lightheartedly whereas 'monkey' is commonly used to describe mischievous and funny boys.

The optics here make it look bad but generally its not meant as a slur. Dont know of any case where someone is called terrorist in the same manner

#MPGA

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

If you check the poster's location you will see he is from India. Generally you will find that those posting from Pakistan or India directly have very little awareness of racial sensitivity as they themselves don't live in a multicultural society. If anything they tend to treat their own races as subhumans depending on religion, caste or skin tone. I think we need to bear that in mind and share with them the realities of living in a modern first world nation.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Does the converse hold true? If I don't complain about the racist jokes towards my community, can I support racist jokes against other communities?

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    If you check the poster's location you will see he is from India. Generally you will find that those posting from Pakistan or India directly have very little awareness of racial sensitivity as they themselves don't live in a multicultural society. If anything they tend to treat their own races as subhumans depending on religion, caste or skin tone. I think we need to bear that in mind and share with them the realities of living in a modern first world nation.
    Come on Captain. When Apu from the simpsons can be creative, why can't this ad campaign be taken in the same spirit?

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    Come on Captain. When Apu from the simpsons can be creative, why can't this ad campaign be taken in the same spirit?
    No point asking me, I don't find anything offensive about the Apu character, like I said in the other thread, I think he's one of the coolest characters in that show. You would need to ask this question to the Indian Americans who raised that issue.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No point asking me, I don't find anything offensive about the Apu character, like I said in the other thread, I think he's one of the coolest characters in that show. You would need to ask this question to the Indian Americans who raised that issue.
    Then why are you getting offended about the ad, don't think you are a black. And you should extend the same leeway to those who don't find this particular ad offensive and think it is cool.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Then why are you getting offended about the ad, don't think you are a black. And you should extend the same leeway to those who don't find this particular ad offensive and think it is cool.
    Whether I get offended or not isn't the issue, enough black people have found it offensive and they have made sufficent complaints that it is now considered offensive generally in the UK. If enough Indians complain about Apu being an offensive stereotype then perhaps one day that will be considered offensive too.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dűr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    You're very ignorant about these issues and it's even more suprising cause I believe you're a south indian. Black people have been compared to monkeys by racists through out history and it's only cause of the color of their skin, this is why there have been incidenta of fans in europe throwing bananas at black soccer players. Imagine if Bollywood decides to portray a south indian kid as a monkey, I'm pretty sure you'd be offended considering the history of the north-south divide in India .
    Please elaborate a bit more on the bolded part my friend. What historical divide are you exactly referring to?

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Whether I get offended or not isn't the issue, enough black people have found it offensive and they have made sufficent complaints that it is now considered offensive generally in the UK. If enough Indians complain about Apu being an offensive stereotype then perhaps one day that will be considered offensive too.
    I see. You are only offended because it is considered offensive in the UK (where "enough" people have to make "sufficient" complaints before it is considered as offensive). Care to show where the UK laws state this condition?

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I see. You are only offended because it is considered offensive in the UK (where "enough" people have to make "sufficient" complaints before it is considered as offensive). Care to show where the UK laws state this condition?
    The UK laws didn't state this condition until enough people brought it to attention. This is how society works, laws and social norms change over time.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The UK laws didn't state this condition until enough people brought it to attention. This is how society works, laws and social norms change over time.
    Yes, so please point out the latest law, which has stated this condition (after enough people brought it to attention).

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Yes, so please point out the latest law, which has stated this condition (after enough people brought it to attention).
    I'm not a lawyer so I'm not going to go hunting for what legally constitutes racism or what doesn't. But for something to be construed as racism, first of all society has to become aware that it is racism. Due to the history of black immigration in England and the consequent derogatory association of that community with apes, it became recognised as racism when enough people objected. It's not part of some condition of law that it takes a certain number of people to raise issue before the law can become implemented, but it does need people to actually raise the issue and then it becomes recognised.

Do Indians find the depiction of Apu as racist? I don't know, there was a few who raised the issue in America recently, but even on the thread I put up, many Indians argued against that view. I do know that black people don't like being called jungle bunnies or monkeys so the comparison doesn't hold for that reason alone.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not a huge fan of political correctness however there is a difference between being PC and noting genuinely racist connotations. This was a very insensitive and stupid idea. H&M should issue an apology if they have not done so already, and investigate the matter internally to see if it was racial propaganda / a bad prank.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Apparently the kid's mother has lambasted everyone calling this a racist advert.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm not a lawyer so I'm not going to go hunting for what legally constitutes racism or what doesn't. But for something to be construed as racism, first of all society has to become aware that it is racism. Due to the history of black immigration in England and the consequent derogatory association of that community with apes, it became recognised as racism when enough people objected. It's not part of some condition of law that it takes a certain number of people to raise issue before the law can become implemented, but it does need people to actually raise the issue and then it becomes recognised.

Do Indians find the depiction of Apu as racist? I don't know, there was a few who raised the issue in America recently, but even on the thread I put up, many Indians argued against that view. I do know that black people don't like being called jungle bunnies or monkeys so the comparison doesn't hold for that reason alone.
    Interesting, that in UK racism is identified when enough people object. I thought racism had a clear definition. But according to you, what is racism and what is not is defined by how many people get offended. Not sure if that is the true British view, or just a non native view of what construes racism, but is illuminating nevertheless.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    Apparently the kid's mother has lambasted everyone calling this a racist advert.
    Thats a proud mother who refuses to play the victim card and wants to raise a child who is not burdened by the history of his ancestors. It is those who are burdened by white guilt, along with the non natives who copy the natives to look cool and fashionable who seem to be more offended. Hope everyone is like the kid's mother who refuses to be kept under victimhood because of what happened ages ago. But won't be surprised if the SJW start blaming the kid's mother for promoting racism.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Interesting, that in UK racism is identified when enough people object. I thought racism had a clear definition. But according to you, what is racism and what is not is defined by how many people get offended. Not sure if that is the true British view, or just a non native view of what construes racism, but is illuminating nevertheless.
    That is indeed my personal view on it, no doubt every other individual has a different take native or otherwise. Happy to have helped.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That is indeed my personal view on it, no doubt every other individual has a different take native or otherwise. Happy to have helped.
    If everyone had their own definition of what is racism, it would be a free for all. Fortunately it is not, your view notwithstanding. And fortunately the civilized world doesnt set its moral compass based on "enough" and "sufficient" complaints when it comes to racism.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    If everyone had their own definition of what is racism, it would be a free for all. Fortunately it is not, your view notwithstanding. And fortunately the civilized world doesnt set its moral compass based on "enough" and "sufficient" complaints when it comes to racism.
    That is your opinion, but if you can prove it to be so I am willing to accept your argument.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That is your opinion, but if you can prove it to be so I am willing to accept your argument.
    Salute to the mother of the kid, for giving a resounding slap to the trigger happy snowflakes and their copycats in the outrage industry. These pretenders create issues where none exist, and ignore the real issues of racism. This is what happens when there is moral bankruptcy and it is decided by what is fashionable.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salute to the mother of the kid, for giving a resounding slap to the trigger happy snowflakes and their copycats in the outrage industry. These pretenders create issues where none exist, and ignore the real issues of racism. This is what happens when there is moral bankruptcy and it is decided by what is fashionable.
    Well she explained in her post that she's an immigrant and doesn't understand the hoo-ha, rather than a slap to the face of those who rightfully pointed out the racism. There's plenty of people who've sided with their oppressor as long as it mean't they benefited.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asim_khan View Post
    Well she explained in her post that she's an immigrant and doesn't understand the hoo-ha, rather than a slap to the face of those who rightfully pointed out the racism. There's plenty of people who've sided with their oppressor as long as it mean't they benefited.
    It is racism to tell what a kid can wear or not wear based on his skin color. The real racists are those who are telling the blacks that you should not wear this, but the whites can wear.

Of course these snowflakes know more than his mother, and I had predicted that they will blame her for promoting racism, so no surprise there. It is entertaining to see their efforts in trying to imbibe racism in a child failing, thanks to the proud mother who refuses to cry victimhood.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is racism to tell what a kid can wear or not wear based on his skin color. The real racists are those who are telling the blacks that you should not wear this, but the whites can wear.

Of course these snowflakes know more than his mother, and I had predicted that they will blame her for promoting racism, so no surprise there. It is entertaining to see their efforts in trying to imbibe racism in a child failing, thanks to the proud mother who refuses to cry victimhood.
    A white owned company with a majority of white staff and board members advertising a black child in a in a hoodie with the words 'jungle' and 'monkey' is naive at best and downright criminal at worst. Black people were enslaved and had genocide comitted against them and had this justified because they were dehumanised as being apes and being uncivil, living in the jungle, these same harmful stereotypes are continuously perpetuated and are used to abuse black people, to this day, one only has to go onto twitter or see the comments under youtube videos to know it's still happening, so for a retailer to think was ok is mind boggling.

And you say these people claiming it's racism have failed, yet I no longer see H&M advertising this hoodie, I don't see H&M defending themselves or championing this mother, in fact they seem to be very apologetic, in fact all the editorials I've read fall on the side of these 'snowflakes'. If it's a victory surely other retailers and advertisers would follow suit and we'd see an asian kid with "curry muncher" or a muslim child with "I'm da bomb" on a top, I guess we'll wait and see. Some victory.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A white owned company with a majority of white staff and board members advertising a black child in a in a hoodie with the words 'jungle' and 'monkey' is naive at best and downright criminal at worst. Black people were enslaved and had genocide comitted against them and had this justified because they were dehumanised as being apes and being uncivil, living in the jungle, these same harmful stereotypes are continuously perpetuated and are used to abuse black people, to this day, one only has to go onto twitter or see the comments under youtube videos to know it's still happening, so for a retailer to think was ok is mind boggling.

And you say these people claiming it's racism have failed, yet I no longer see H&M advertising this hoodie, I don't see H&M defending themselves or championing this mother, in fact they seem to be very apologetic, in fact all the editorials I've read fall on the side of these 'snowflakes'. If it's a victory surely other retailers and advertisers would follow suit and we'd see an asian kid with "curry muncher" or a muslim child with "I'm da bomb" on a top, I guess we'll wait and see. Some victory.
    For you victory is getting an apology from H&M. For me victory is the mother of the kid being sure of her identity and not playing the victim card. I agree the outrage industry is very powerful and they are good at keeping the fire of racism burning so that they can keep using it for their advantage.

Black people were enslaved and killed, but it would not have mattered till "enough" blacks made "sufficient" complaints so that the whites in UK had a sudden epiphany that it was wrong, and the society promptly recognized it as racism. So blessed be those "enough" blacks who made "sufficient" complaints to knock at the morals of the ruling whites. One day I hope there are "enough" black moms like this one who will refuse to forever grovel in the mud of racism and raise their kids as citizens of the free world unburdered by historical baggage only because of their skin color..something the snowflakes (and their copycats) forever want them to be burdened with.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Two things. Firstly, the mother is not exactly impartial in this matter, her little darling son is the one who is gaining fame through modelling for H&M. Nothing wrong with that, she is looking after her own interests. Second, I already said in the first thread that H&M probably didn't do it with bad intent, they are too big a company to need to make racial digs at a community.

About the trigger happy snowflakes, well you would need to understand the context of monkeys and jungles when it comes to referencing black people in Britain. Those were aimed as insults in the not too distant past, not acceptable today in modern civilised society, and I include PP in that where there is certainly plenty of PC rules which prevent us from indulging in similar banter towards our interracial community.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For you victory is getting an apology from H&M. For me victory is the mother of the kid being sure of her identity and not playing the victim card. I agree the outrage industry is very powerful and they are good at keeping the fire of racism burning so that they can keep using it for their advantage.

Black people were enslaved and killed, but it would not have mattered till "enough" blacks made "sufficient" complaints so that the whites in UK had a sudden epiphany that it was wrong, and the society promptly recognized it as racism. So blessed be those "enough" blacks who made "sufficient" complaints to knock at the morals of the ruling whites. One day I hope there are "enough" black moms like this one who will refuse to forever grovel in the mud of racism and raise their kids as citizens of the free world unburdered by historical baggage only because of their skin color..something the snowflakes (and their copycats) forever want them to be burdened with.
    Except she isn't aware of her identity, as she said herself, she doesn't understand what these 'snowflakes' mean or what they're saying, if anyting, she's just miffed that her cheque for selling out her son isn't gonna come in, I guess that can be another small victory. And as for the outrage industry, if there wasn't any racism, guess what? They'd have nothing to complain about. There was obviously some racism involved in this situation or H&M wouldn't be apologising profuseley, they'd get their million dollar marketing budget to work and counteract it, but instead they've accepted they're in the wrong, and it seems you're the lone voice of reason fighting this 'winning' cause.

And as for your second paragraph, I think you'll find Abolitionism was a white movement, google it some time. Also if large corporations paid heed to diversity training and allowed their staff to be representative of the general staff, they'll be less likely to end up with their foot in their mouth when it came to making racial and sexist faux pas'.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    For me to know and you to find out
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This can be deemed racist or not...

Nobody is taking notice of the Adidas 'Creators' commercial in which only black and white people are sitting around the table. How is that not a racist commercial???

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post

Nobody is taking notice of the Adidas 'Creators' commercial in which only black and white people are sitting around the table. How is that not a racist commercial???
    Isn't Alexander Wang in that commercial?

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Two things. Firstly, the mother is not exactly impartial in this matter, her little darling son is the one who is gaining fame through modelling for H&M. Nothing wrong with that, she is looking after her own interests. Second, I already said in the first thread that H&M probably didn't do it with bad intent, they are too big a company to need to make racial digs at a community.

About the trigger happy snowflakes, well you would need to understand the context of monkeys and jungles when it comes to referencing black people in Britain. Those were aimed as insults in the not too distant past, not acceptable today in modern civilised society, and I include PP in that where there is certainly plenty of PC rules which prevent us from indulging in similar banter towards our interracial community.
    So there is a third condition.. That the voice needs to be impartial, apart from being enough and sufficient, before it is taken seriously.

My new friend @Asim_khan doesn't believe so and thinks Abolitiionism was triggered by the Whites own morality and not your criteria, so fortunately someone in the non native community sees it the right way.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post

How is it a racist commercial? Did you mean someone from each racial group should be represented? I don't think I follow.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Except she isn't aware of her identity, as she said herself, she doesn't understand what these 'snowflakes' mean or what they're saying, if anyting, she's just miffed that her cheque for selling out her son isn't gonna come in, I guess that can be another small victory. And as for the outrage industry, if there wasn't any racism, guess what? They'd have nothing to complain about. There was obviously some racism involved in this situation or H&M wouldn't be apologising profuseley, they'd get their million dollar marketing budget to work and counteract it, but instead they've accepted they're in the wrong, and it seems you're the lone voice of reason fighting this 'winning' cause.

And as for your second paragraph, I think you'll find Abolitionism was a white movement, google it some time. Also if large corporations paid heed to diversity training and allowed their staff to be representative of the general staff, they'll be less likely to end up with their foot in their mouth when it came to making racial and sexist faux pas'.
    Yes, the frothing at the mouth outrage industry gets to decide what her identity is.. that she and her beautiful son should always remember that blacks were kept as slaves and were oppressed and lynched and made fun of, and they must always remain angry at that, always trigger happy to complain victimhood and never rise as new age citizens of the free world.

H&M apologized because they don't want to spoil their PR and lose customers. The outrage industry is very strong and can damage the reputation of those who don't follow their diktat..whether it is a huge corporation or a mother of a child model. But you can carry on counting it as a triumph of truth over evil.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    So there is a third condition.. That the voice needs to be impartial, apart from being enough and sufficient, before it is taken seriously.

My new friend @Asim_khan doesn't believe so and thinks Abolitiionism was triggered by the Whites own morality and not your criteria, so fortunately someone in the non native community sees it the right way.
    So my criteria is not good enough, but now your new friend @Asim_khan's is because he's someone in the non native community who 'sees it in the right way'? What a turn of events when we non native Brits are being told what is the right way by some chai wallah sitting in Calcutta. Dear Lord Churchill would be turning in his grave.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So my criteria is not good enough, but now your new friend @Asim_khan's is because he's someone in the non native community who 'sees it in the right way'? What a turn of events when we non native Brits are being told what is the right way by some chai wallah sitting in Calcutta. Dear Lord Churchill would be turning in his grave.
    lol. Apologies for transgressing my limits. Your criteria is of course the right one, and my friend @Asim_khan is wrong. Blessed be the "enough" "sufficient" and "impartial" blacks who made the ruling white aware of what is racism and what is not. And blessed be the non natives who have copied this moral rule from their native masters.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    lol. Apologies for transgressing my limits. Your criteria is of course the right one, and my friend @Asim_khan is wrong. Blessed be the "enough" "sufficient" and "impartial" blacks who made the ruling white aware of what is racism and what is not. And blessed be the non natives who have copied this moral rule from their native masters.
    What in your mind is a distinction between a native and non-native Brit? Just so we are both on the same page before we continue this debate.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What in your mind is a distinction between a native and non-native Brit? Just so we are both on the same page before we continue this debate.
    If there was any doubt. Using the example of a stable, the horse is native, the dog a non native.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    If there was any doubt. Using the example of a stable, the horse is native, the dog a non native.
    That's not an accurate analogy. You can put the horse and the dog in the same stable but if they are the only occupants you won't get any future generations, once those two have gone to the great stable in the sky.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That's not an accurate analogy. You can put the horse and the dog in the same stable but if they are the only occupants you won't get any future generations, once those two have gone to the great stable in the sky.
    If that is what you make of it. And if that is what you think an analogy is. But I am sure even you don't doubt that you are a non native citizen. Anyway this is tangential to the topic, and further discussion can be had in a separate thread.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    If that is what you make of it. And if that is what you think an analogy is. But I am sure even you don't doubt that you are a non native citizen. Anyway this is tangential to the topic, and further discussion can be had in a separate thread.
    Agreed. New thread initiated, we can continue the discussion there.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    For me to know and you to find out
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't Alexander Wang in that commercial?
    I meant by no brown representation. I found that so out of order!

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see why people would find this racist but even the kids mom has told people to get on with it.

I don't think H&M meant any harm, but it clearly was not a good idea whoever approved it thinking it would be okay as people are very sensitive these days.

However, I think there are more important matters in the world. For example, the horrific events in Kasur. This H&M thing has gone viral but I feel media should be drawing more attention to poor Zainab etc

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    904 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!