Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Not satisfied with my Test performances so far and there is room for improvement" : Sami Aslam

Sami Aslam made his Test debut against Bangladesh in April 2015 but it wasn't until Pakistan's 2016 tour of England that the world took notice of his abilities as an opening batsman. During that tour, Sami's credentials as a solid Test opener for Pakistan were firmly established with scores of 82 and 70 in the 3rd Test against England at Edgbaston. His overall Test record of 13 matches where he has scored 758 runs is one that marks him as one to watch for the future.

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, Sami Aslam spoke about the progress of his Test career, the reasons behind Pakistan's disappointing Test series loss to Sri Lanka, why he feels that he is also well-suited for the shorter formats of the game and his aspirations to establish a permanent place for himself in the Pakistan side.

PakPassion.net: How do you feel about your performance so far in Tests where you have an average of 31.58 – are you satisfied with the progress you have made?

Sami Aslam:
    To be honest, my Test batting average should have been much better than what it is now. However, in my defence, I would say that I've had to play on some very tough international tours of England, New Zealand and Australia, so it wasn’t that easy for me. Regardless of the difficulties I have faced, I am not satisfied with my Test performances so far and there is room for improvement.

PakPassion.net: You are yet to make a Test century, although you have come close a few times. Is this an issue of mental pressure?

Sami Aslam:
    I do not think that there is any issue with me not able to handle pressure in international cricket. Against England in the 3rd Test in 2016, I was unfortunately run out on 82 when I feel I was playing really well at that point. In the match against the West Indies in the Day/Night Dubai Test in 2016, I was out for 90 after playing a poor shot and then on the tour of New Zealand I lost my wicket for 91, but then I was trying to play aggressively as we were making a bid to win the 2nd Test in Hamilton. So, I do not think there is any question of a mental block as far as my approach is concerned. I have a great track record in Under 19s and at the List-A level with an excellent conversion rate and I am quite used to playing under pressure. I suppose poor shot selection and some bad luck is to blame for my inability to score a Test hundred which is something I am also very disappointed about.

PakPassion.net: You must have been disappointed with the outcome of the Test series against Sri Lanka?

Sami Aslam:
    The manner in which we lost the Test series against Sri Lanka in the UAE with a 0-2 margin was hugely disappointing for all of us. Whilst this was our ‘home’ series, the fact is that even we as hosts have to adapt to the conditions in the UAE as pitches are not similar to the ones we have in Pakistan. In fact, the pitches in the UAE suited the style of the Sri Lanka bowling attack which gave them an advantage in the final analysis.

PakPassion.net: Was there added pressure on the Pakistan batsmen as the series against Sri Lanka was the first for a long time without Misbah-ul-Haq and Younis Khan?

Sami Aslam:
    I don’t believe that there was any extra pressure on our batsmen due to the absence of the two legendary players. Misbah and Younis were indeed big names of Pakistan cricket, but then we also have players in the current team who have the ability to plug the huge gap left by their retirements. Of course, it will take a little time to fill the vacuum created by the departure of these two great batsmen and I really don’t think we felt any stress during the Test series against Sri Lanka because of their absence. We all played our normal game, but we were not able to play as well as we wanted to and therefore lost the series.

PakPassion.net: This must be a great opportunity for the less experienced players to step-up after the retirements of Misbah-ul-Haq and Younis Khan?

Sami Aslam:
    This is an absolutely great opportunity for us younger batsmen to make a name and establish ourselves in the Pakistan Test team by putting in solid performances. Obviously, it is important that a player should be able to establish himself in the team and not put himself in a situation where he has to hope and work hard to make a comeback, as that can make life very difficult for the player. In my case, I was dropped for the tour of West Indies after the Australia series and coming back for the home series against Sri Lanka was like making a debut once again which is something I do not want to repeat again. It would be great if I can put in good performances that ensure that I am not constantly in and out of the Test side and instead have a permanent place in the team which in turn will allow me to build my career as well.

PakPassion.net: Do you feel you have done enough so far to have guaranteed a permanent spot in the Pakistan Test team in upcoming series?

Sami Aslam:
    If I look back at my Test career, I can see that I did really well against England in 2016 then had excellent series versus West Indies and New Zealand that year. Unfortunately, I failed to perform in the subsequent series against Australia and was not considered for the 2017 tour of West Indies. On my return to the Test side recently against Sri Lanka, I had some good starts to my innings and played well. I am really hopeful that I have done enough to ensure selection during the upcoming England series this summer.

PakPassion.net: Do you feel that the tour of Australia taught you some lessons which you can use to improve yourself in the future?

Sami Aslam:
    There is absolutely no comparison to what a cricketer can learn by playing in a high-profile series such as those against Australia and England. The example of the current England Test team in Australia playing in the Ashes is in front of you where they struggled to compete against the hosts. In my case, whilst I did not score heavily in Australia, I did spend a lot of time at the crease which was an excellent experience in itself. So, in the first Day/Night Test in Brisbane, even though I scored 22 runs, I was the sixth wicket to fall having spent 135 minutes at the crease. What I realised was that during that series I played a little too defensively so I was missing out on scoring opportunities due to being too worried about losing my wicket. What I learnt was that if one goes into one’s shell than top bowling attacks, such as the one I played against which included the likes of Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood will dominate you. But during that first Test at The Gabba, I did play 100 balls in the first innings which shows that I do have the ability to play against quality bowling attacks. I feel that I put that learning from the Australia tour into practice during the recent series against Sri Lanka where I did play more aggressively. The improvement in my cricket is not only visible in Tests but also in the shorter format where in the Pakistan Cup I have performed very well. I am already feeling a lot of improvement in my batting, especially in the variety and range of shots that I am able to play now.

PakPassion.net: How do you feel the experience of playing world-class bowlers in England and Australia has helped you improve your batting?

Sami Aslam:
    I have now played in some tough environments such as England, New Zealand and Australia, with South Africa the only place where I have yet to play. Along the way, I have faced top bowlers such as James Anderson, Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood. When one has faced such good bowlers under tough conditions then it teaches you a lot about what international cricket is all about. I do not think one can play cricket in more testing conditions than I have done so far and I am happy to say that I have picked up many important lessons from these experiences which will allow me to improve further.

PakPassion.net: You seem to receive criticism for your overcautious approach. What do you have to say in response to this criticism?

Sami Aslam:
    I believe this criticism stems from those who have seen me play in domestic cricket where I was under pressure to consolidate my spot in the team, especially after what happened to me post the tour of Australia. I became overcautious in my approach. In such situations, one does become a little defensive in your approach and this was a mistake on my behalf. Of course, I have learnt a lot from this mistake and I now know that the best way to play is to play one’s normal game and all my followers will see a much more improved cricketer in me, in the near future.

PakPassion.net: Is Pakistan domestic cricket a good breeding ground for preparing young cricketers for the demands of international cricket?

Sami Aslam:
    In my view, the domestic four-day game is one of the most difficult forms of cricket in Pakistan. To say that it’s easy to score runs in Pakistani domestic cricket is totally incorrect. We have low scoring matches which sometimes end in two days and the ball used is Dukes which makes it very tough for batsmen to score runs. Also, players from Pakistan are able to perform in England which means that there really is no problem with our domestic cricket standards. If there is an issue, it is the gap between domestic and international cricket which is because of the pressure one faces when representing one’s country. We also have a lack of A tours to places like Australia and England. Such tours can help in building the confidence of our batsmen and reduce the jump between domestic and international cricket. Of course, there are other differences when one plays international cricket, such as better quality pitches and the bowling is also of top quality too.

PakPassion.net: Apart from the four-day version, what impression do you have of the other domestic tournaments being played in Pakistan?

Sami Aslam:
    If you look at the National T20 Cup that took place recently, you will have been really impressed by the quality of cricket being played in such tournaments. Then you have the Pakistan Cup where you have the top 5 teams from the country competing in a closely fought tournament. We are also in the middle of the One-Day Cup (Departments) where once again, it is clear that cricket of a high standard is being played all-round.

PakPassion.net: It must be a little frustrating to see your contemporary Babar Azam playing all 3 formats for Pakistan, but you have not been given more chances for the ODI team?

Sami Aslam:
    I am puzzled myself as I feel that my statistics in T20s are very good where I have a strike rate of 116.99. In List-A my average is in excess of 50 where I have scored 8 hundreds and 18 fifties so that clearly shows what I am capable of in the One-Day format. In fact, I would say that my style of batting is most suited for the One-Day format due to the way I play. My international debut was against Bangladesh in 2015 in an ODI game where I scored 45 off 50 balls but was not picked again until the series against England in 2016. I then played 3 One-Day games on the tour of England in 2016 in which, unfortunately, I was unable to perform. I do feel that I haven’t been given enough chances to demonstrate my abilities in the One-Day format, but hopefully that may change in future. As I said before, I feel I am a good One-Day player and have been performing very well whenever I have played in any One-Day tournament in domestic cricket. I am working hard on my game and I am still young so I'm confident that I will be able to establish a permanent spot in the Pakistan ODI squad as well in future.

PakPassion.net: It seems that PSL franchises don’t want to pick you at all. Why is that?

Sami Aslam:
    There’s not much I can say about this except for the fact that a day before this year's draft, I scored 91 not out and I thought I would get a chance. I was totally surprised by the fact that I was not picked by any franchise for the PSL. I suppose, all that is left for me to do is to continue performing in the same way I did in the National T20 Cup, but I will admit that I am puzzled that I have been ignored for selection by PSL franchises every season.

PakPassion.net: Looking ahead, what are your aims and targets?

Sami Aslam:
    From the time I started to play for Pakistan Under 19s, my aim was not just to represent my country at that level but instead I was totally focused towards playing for the national team at some stage. I did really well during my Under 19 days for Pakistan and was the best performer on many tours. My aim now is to play so well that I create world records similar to what Saeed Anwar achieved during his career. Apart from that, I want to establish a permanent spot in the Pakistan Test team as an opener, not simply for the sake of playing in the national team, but also to put in some memorable performances for my country.
    Last edited by MenInG; 9th January 2018 at 17:27.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should've really been picked up by someone in the PSL. The guy has played some epic knocks domestically recently whilst chasing across all 3 formats.

He's going to come good eventually at the top level once he gets his approach right and confidence up.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boi View Post
    Should've really been picked up by someone in the PSL. The guy has played some epic knocks domestically recently whilst chasing across all 3 formats.

He's going to come good eventually at the top level once he gets his approach right and confidence up.
    Speaking of domestic performances, he hit 103* off 99 balls today for SSGC. Though they were only chasing 195.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just knowing where your stump is and leaving the balls isn't going to win you matches. Doesn't know to score big let alone at a fair pace at international level. Doesn't inspire any confidence.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope he's done enough to go to UK this year. Has a lot of potential, I think he's a confidence player.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a very good opener in Test cricket. But he really needs to kick on. He can get starts but he really needs to go on to score big.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Can see him improving.

Needs to be persisted with.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think the guy has mental issues and he is mentally fragile.i think he will fail again but lets hope.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if he is backed by Mickey and the management he can become a good opener along with Azhar.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4785 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    I don’t like his vibe. There is a sense of entitlement in his outlook, and he takes an over the top interest in his numbers. Knows his stats to the last decimal place.

I think there is a good player somewhere in him, but I am not sure if has the right mindset.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    He’s doing just fine.

I was at the Gabba, and he was a class above everyone apart from Asad Shafiq.

Should never have been dropped for the West Indies four. It was disgraceful.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Pakistan left-handed opener Sami Aslam reveals surprise on the decision of the six Pakistan Super League (PSL) franchises for not picking him in the final squad for the third edition.

Aslam, who has represented Pakistan in 13 Test since making his debut in the longest format on April 28 against Bangladesh at Khulna, says he had scored an unbeaten 91 just a day before the draft and still wasn’t considered.

“There’s not much I can say about this except for stating the fact that a day before this year’s draft, I scored 91 not out and I thought I would be picked,” he said while talking to PakPassion.net “I was totally surprised by the fact that I was not picked by any franchise for the PSL. I suppose, all that is left for me to do is to continue performing in the same way I did in the National T20 Cup, but I will admit that I am puzzled that I have been ignored by all PSL franchises every season.

On Test average

Aslam has scored 758 runs in his 13 outings with the Pakistan Test side courtesy seven fifties, but he admits that his average of 31.58 needs to improve.

“To be honest, my Test batting average should have been much better than what it is now,” he said. “However, in my defence, I would say that I’ve had to play on some very tough international tours of England, New Zealand and Australia, so it wasn’t that easy for me. Regardless of the difficulties I have faced, I am not satisfied with my Test performances so far and there is room for improvement.”

He continued by explaining why he wasn’t able to convert his starts into big innings.

“It is not about the pressure. Against England in the 3rd Test in 2016, I was unfortunately run out on 82 when I feel I was playing really well. In the match against the West Indies in the Day-Night Dubai Test in 2016, I was out for 90 after playing a poor shot and then on the tour of New Zealand I lost my wicket for 91, but then I was trying to play aggressively as we were making a bid to win the 2nd Test in Hamilton. So, I do not think there is any question of a mental block as far as my approach is concerned. I have a great track record in Under 19s and at the List-A level with an excellent conversion rate and I am quite used to playing under pressure. I suppose poor shot selection and some bad luck is to blame for my inability to score a Test hundred which is something I am also very disappointed about,” he explained.

On permanent spot in national team

Aslam has been switching his opening spot with another left-handed opener Shan Masood and now Fakhar Zaman seems to be in contention of grabbing the spot, but the 22-year-old believes he has done enough to ensure selection for the upcoming tour to England.

“If I look back at my Test career, I can see that I did really well against England in 2016 then had an excellent series versus West Indies and New Zealand that year,” he said. “Unfortunately, I failed to perform in the subsequent series against Australia and was not considered for the 2017 tour of West Indies. On my return to the Test side recently against Sri Lanka, I had some good starts. I am really hopeful that I have done enough to ensure selection during the upcoming England series this summer.”

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1605300...selection-psl/

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Watched him closely in England in 2016 and he looked very solid. The English media were very impressed by him.

However he seems to have lost his way. Caught between playing the anchor role and being more attacking.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Watched him closely in England in 2016 and he looked very solid. The English media were very impressed by him.

However he seems to have lost his way. Caught between playing the anchor role and being more attacking.
    Hands are too low and croaches too much. Needs to be more positive and everything will fall into place

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

It’s hard to play the new ball in Australia when you’re not used to it.

And he had to try to hold the innings together under lights with the Pink Ball at Brisbane as Younis, Misbah and the rest were collecting ducks.

Yes, it made him a bit too defensive. But he has identified that, and should have been picked in the West Indies.

In what universe can Shan Masood be selected ahead of Sami Aslam?

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sami Aslam run out for 57 today in Departmental ODI Cup
    Seems like runouts are becoming a hurdle in his progress.

[QUOTE=Mamoon;9742871]Don't see us ascending from 7th/6th in the near future. 5-0 in England and South Africa awaits us, we will be lucky to even draw one match. [/QUOTE]

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    He’s doing just fine.

I was at the Gabba, and he was a class above everyone apart from Asad Shafiq.

Should never have been dropped for the West Indies four. It was disgraceful.
    Thought Babar Azam looked much better than Sami Aslam.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One thing he needs to avoid is being so over cautious. He needs to look to score I think it played a part in him losing his confidence. He loves his stats as you can see from this interview lol.

He can be a good player , just needs to sort his mental game out and expand his shot range.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So he really think a SR of 116 in T20s is good enough?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Running between the wickets is an area that needs improving.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Running between the wickets is an area that needs improving.
    Chris Gayle doesn't run that well between wickets and he doesn't panic when he plays dot balls, or is unable to take a 2 or 3. He knows full well he can make up for it big with one big over.

If Sami is a naturally flamboyant and aggressive player then he needs to stick to that natural game rather than blocking and plodding on the most dead wickets.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Chris Gayle doesn't run that well between wickets and he doesn't panic when he plays dot balls, or is unable to take a 2 or 3. He knows full well he can make up for it big with one big over.

If Sami is a naturally flamboyant and aggressive player then he needs to stick to that natural game rather than blocking and plodding on the most dead wickets.
    I think he's got into a rut at times and that has meant he has just blocked everything.

He needs to become a little more positive in international cricket.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UN talkz View Post
    Sami Aslam run out for 57 today in Departmental ODI Cup
    Seems like runouts are becoming a hurdle in his progress.
    Shan Masood has better stats than Sami Aslam. See their performances in Departmental One Day Cup as well as in International Test format.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really happy he's in good form. I am assuming he will be on the plane to the UK in the summer and hopefully he does well.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think there is another batsmen in Pakistan right now who piles up the runs at high SR's like Sami Aslam. He's like Fawad Alam from 5-6 years ago, except better

He looks the total opposite of his domestic stats when he plays for Pakistan. He's must have some serious mental issues

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    Really happy he's in good form. I am assuming he will be on the plane to the UK in the summer and hopefully he does well.
    He was a case of a player selected in the wrong format

His FC average is mediocre but list A average is fantastic.

Should open with Fakhar in ODI
    Can play the anchor role

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coy0607 View Post
    I don't think there is another batsmen in Pakistan right now who piles up the runs at high SR's like Sami Aslam. He's like Fawad Alam from 5-6 years ago, except better

He looks the total opposite of his domestic stats when he plays for Pakistan. He's must have some serious mental issues
    That is because whenever he plays for Pakistan he plays Test cricket which is not his format.

His FC average is extremely poor

His List A average is BRILLIANT but he didn't get so many opportunities in ODIs

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully he makes a comeback in both ODIs and tests. He's a good player and shouldnt be written off so easily I still remember how good he looked in the 2014 u19 world cup. Rabada and Sami were the finds of the tournament. One has cemented has spot, let's see if the other one can soon enough.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AssassinatedDevil View Post
    Hopefully he makes a comeback in both ODIs and tests. He's a good player and shouldnt be written off so easily I still remember how good he looked in the 2014 u19 world cup. Rabada and Sami were the finds of the tournament. One has cemented has spot, let's see if the other one can soon enough.
    He gets bogged down trying to play it safe. I remember when we tried him out in the ENG ODI series in 16' and he just played so many dots. Mickey was beyond frustrated that he wasn't rotating strike and it showed. If he is naturally aggressive than he needs to stick to that game plan and not try and cement his place in the team. I feel like we should open with FZ and AA in Tests and have him replace Shafiq at #6. In ODI's, he can find a place only as an opener but that creates the problem of having two lefties at the top.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The curious case of Sami Aslam.

Seems like someone in the PCB hierarchy doesn't like him.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The curious case of Sami Aslam.

Seems like someone in the PCB hierarchy doesn't like him.
    Shocking. I mean that's the primary goal fro Pakistan cricketers, to be well liked by everyone in the PCB hierarchy, you can be an average unfit prima donna and always get selected as long as you are in the good books of the PCB bigwigs.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Chance for Sami to get some confidence in this Kent game.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Chance for Sami to get some confidence in this Kent game.
    He only scored 13 but he lasted an hour, so it's a decent start.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joke player, one of the worst debuts in Test cricket for Pakistan. Could'nt chase 120 run targets against Sri Lanka in UAE. Never made a century but gets to stay in the opening slot. Asim Kamal was removed on the same excuse. Different standards applied for players from Lahore City.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    953 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Who was it that compared him to a poor man's Taufiq Umar ? Regressing with every series.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does he have going for him?

1) He’s a tuktuk
    2) Nothing special against either spin or pace.

Doesn’t take the scoreboard anywhere. Only good for blunting the new ball and that too sometimes. We have Azhar for that anyway.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Imam is better.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Imam is better.
    Fakhar is the best.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    Fakhar is the best.
    Imam is more technically adept than Fakhar.

But I'd like to see Fakhar given a shot at opening the innings in Tests in Asia.

Not sure where Sami fits in. He needs to improve. Competition should do him some good, hopefully.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Imam is more technically adept than Fakhar.

But I'd like to see Fakhar given a shot at opening the innings in Tests in Asia.

Not sure where Sami fits in. He needs to improve. Competition should do him some good, hopefully.
    Sami imo is a left handed, C-grade Azhar Ali.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Top bloke.

Gangster rap made me do it.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Keep him as an opener. He is very young and can improve. He played a couple of excellent knocks vs England last time and was a little unlucky not to get a 100.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think he'll become a regular in ODI cricket like Babar eventually. His list A record is already picking up and I'm sure will improve further. He was amongst the best in U19 ever.

Test cricket he has potential, just at an early age they hardly play test cricket, it's all limited overs cricket. So they need time in first class cricket to improve. I'd rather pick the slightly older players for tests with more domestic test experience.

Was disappointed he wasn't given a chance in the PSL. He should have been, given the fact he is one of our brighter talents in Pakistan. Both him and Saad Ali are probably the brightest batting talents after Babar.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If Sami and Imam can form a better opening partnership in tests, that will be brilliant for Pakistan in the long run.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    If Sami and Imam can form a better opening partnership in tests, that will be brilliant for Pakistan in the long run.
    Absolutely but I would like Fakhar to also feature in there somewhere.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    *** PINDI CRICKET STADIUM, RAWALPINDI

SSGCL (First innings): 268-2 in 66 overs (Umer Amin 146*, 200 balls, 21 x4s, Sami Aslam 100, 186 balls, 13x4s)

Rawalpindi Region

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Somewhere in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy is a different beast in domestic. Sadly another case of international failure.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoJoJoJo View Post
    This guy is a different beast in domestic. Sadly another case of international failure.
    He is 22 years old and has played a whopping 13 matches in mostly England/NZ and it isn't like he has a Test average of like 15.

Lets maybe not label him an international failure just yet.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    953 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Exactly how Sami Aslam needed to start the FC season after being dropped from the Test XI.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I think he is a better test match prospect than Imam.
    I will venture a prediction: imam will cost us in both the odi and test side this season - especially when we tour SA

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    No selection.

No central contract.

Looked disillusioned during the tour of England.

Tough times for Sami Aslam at the moment.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No selection.

No central contract.

Care to expand?

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, he has been very harshly treated. He is a quality prospect and I am somewhat surprised/disappointed by the management's handling of him.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Connecticut
    Runs
    Mentioned
    673 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post
    For me, he has been very harshly treated. He is a quality prospect and I am somewhat surprised/disappointed by the management's handling of him.
    He got the treatment Hafeez or Imad deserves. In some cases, the treatment of some players is complete lopsided.

“I've never lost a game I just ran out of time.” Micheal Jordan

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    No selection.

No central contract.

Has really gone backwards from those Edgbaston innings. His body language at the crease is poor and at the moment he look shot of confidence.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plays like a Night watchman in the international arena.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post
    The one thing I would say is he needs to prioritise his match fitness and realise it is an integral part of the game.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad he has started well, hope this form continues and he can be in the Pakistan team soon!

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has an awful fitness and looks out of place every time he walks into the crease.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    863 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He should be given a few games , He is still young and looks talented. If he keeps failing , drop him .

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to back hundreds for Sami Aslam in Quaid-e-Azam Trophy.
    Last edited by Zeeraq; 3rd September 2018 at 14:49.

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to be the Greame Hick of Pakistan.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like he is motivated to prove the management wrong.

Now he just needs to work on his fitness and he will walk back into the squad.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have him as a reserve number six in my Test squad.

Feel he could be more expansive down the order.