Instagram


Islamic Relief UK

Cricket Scotland

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    9,712
    Mentioned
    475 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Are expatriate Pakistanis more patriotic than the ones who live here?

    When i used to live in Canada, i was quite patriotic about Pakistan. Always supported it, felt proud and all about it, having a wish of representing it

    But ever since i started living here, the patriotism has vanished. I dont care about the country anymore, and have no hope for it. Reasons being mostly about the religious discrimination, plus the religious hypocrisy in the society.
    And also the corruption. I have seen how corruption even takes place at the lawyers area.


    "Life is Pain"
    ~House~

  2. #2
    Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    17,888
    Mentioned
    450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not at all. That's just you. In my experience a lot of expats (obviously not all) project this fake patriotic attitude that's pretty cringeworthy. And they really haven't spent any time in or know much about Pakistan. I've lived in Canada for 2 years now and I guess you can feel more patriotic when away from Pakistan since you are missing it.

  3. #3
    Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    17,888
    Mentioned
    450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Also, regarding the latter half of your post, when you are in Pakistan you can more closely examine these issues and often see them firsthand.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    915
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well atleast the Brit Pakistanis are over the top patriotic and religious than the ones living in Pakistan.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    9,712
    Mentioned
    475 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boomboomcheema View Post
    Well atleast the Brit Pakistanis are over the top patriotic and religious than the ones living in Pakistan.
    this aswell.

    many british pakistanis i have seen are very religious and very patriotic about the country.

    ANd that disturbs a little. They would enjoy life in England, but would promote sharia for Pakistan


    "Life is Pain"
    ~House~

  6. #6
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    9,809
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The expats have to face the natives, in whose eyes they remain non natives from a third world country, and have to face uncomfortable questions. So some turn apologists before their first world colleagues and try to defend every good and bad about the country they came from, while some try to distance themselves from their real identity and try to pretend they are equal to their first world colleagues as it saves them from the embarrassment of being associated with their true identity.

  7. #7
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    21,844
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    this aswell.

    many british pakistanis i have seen are very religious and very patriotic about the country.

    ANd that disturbs a little. They would enjoy life in England, but would promote sharia for Pakistan
    That is how it should be. When in Rome do as the Romans do is a saying which British people believe in fervently.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  8. #8
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    21,767
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Patriotic? perhaps not, but I do not want to see Pakistan go down the drain. It is an essential need that has to remain. Have I lost faith in it? not the ideal of it or the two nation theory. In todays Pakistan I lost faith years ago. Im more realistic about it now. I still have hope..

  9. #9
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    12,325
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The biggest irony is that no matter how big the American/British/Canadian born patriotic claims to be they would never actually relocate and go and live in the country they proclaim to be so patriotic about. I've met numerous foreign born 'patriotic' Indians and Pakistanis like this - they can talk all night about wars won, the military hardware their country of origin possesses etc yet ask them why they live in country X instead of their country of origin and you'll hear a million excuses.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    2,614
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In America people always take pride in their heritage, it doesn't matter if you're Pakistani, Korean, Dominican, or Italian. So yeah I take pride in my heritage.


    "Be the best version of yourself"

  11. #11
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    16,009
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    That is how it should be. When in Rome do as the Romans do is a saying which British people believe in fervently.
    Proudly typed with a glass of British gin in hand!

  12. #12
    Debut
    Sep 2007
    Venue
    Unknown
    Runs
    6,924
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its natural that you don't feel patriotic if you live in that actual country (or any country of subject) - as soon as you move out, you start missing it again and your patriotism comes back.


    The Underdogs

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    770
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ofcourse we are! After all; we don't elect the likes of Zardari, Nawaz and Altaf into power!

  14. #14
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Gurgaon
    Runs
    2,342
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King-Misbah View Post
    Ofcourse we are! After all; we don't elect the likes of Zardari, Nawaz and Altaf into power!
    Who is stopping you to come back and elect honest leaders?

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    4,479
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post
    The biggest irony is that no matter how big the American/British/Canadian born patriotic claims to be they would never actually relocate and go and live in the country they proclaim to be so patriotic about. I've met numerous foreign born 'patriotic' Indians and Pakistanis like this - they can talk all night about wars won, the military hardware their country of origin possesses etc yet ask them why they live in country X instead of their country of origin and you'll hear a million excuses.
    You could use this both ways though, the ones living back home would never refuse a UK or US visa.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    13,289
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boomboomcheema View Post
    Well atleast the Brit Pakistanis are over the top patriotic and religious than the ones living in Pakistan.
    Not all of them. Apart from supporting the cricket team (complicated reasons), the fact that I was born there and members of my extended family live there, to me Pakistan just happens to be another country where I lived for a while. It's not my (current) home, not where I (currently) work/live, not where my kids go to school and will grow up, not where my parents are buried ..... so no, not all of us with ethnic roots from that part of the world are patriotic in the manner you state.


    “In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    770
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastManstanding View Post
    Who is stopping you to come back and elect honest leaders?
    It is easy to say that. For example; I was born in the UK, my immediate family is here, my friends are here and my business is here. I can not just get up and leave. Plus, we as oversees Pakistanis will still be a minority so idiotic leaders will still get elected, selected.

  18. #18
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    17,762
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakpak View Post
    You could use this both ways though, the ones living back home would never refuse a UK or US visa.
    Yes but they wouldn't be as openly patriotic as the ones in Pakistan.


    In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

  19. #19
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    4,628
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes they are more patriotic being away from home. This is because of the "absence makes the heart grow fonder" syndrome. It is easy to be optimistic when you are living elsewhere. When faced with the daily problems people in Pak do one can easily lose hope as well. The key is to find a balance between reality and patriotism. I can easily take criticism of Pak from a developed country like USA, UK, Canada and Australia etc. If someone from an equally poor country attacks Pak then they need to be shown the mirror, you know who you are I believe Allah has created Pakistan for a reason.


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    6,307
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In Pakistan patriotism is measure of how religious you are or how proud you are of Army. If you are against both, you are definitely traitor, even here in US Pakistani community as well.

    They want Pakistan to progress and corruption free, yet the rotten culture of religious discrimination and traditions to remain intact, that is our culture we don’t want to Loose that, at the same time they don’t want America to be polluted by Trumpism and white racism, talk about hypocrisy. I see same attitude in Pakistan, people have problem with Islamophobia, but see little wrong with their own culture that breeds worse form of discrimination and racism. They see nothing wrong with Blasphemy laws, crushing minorities, child labor and what not

  21. #21
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    4,474
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    When i used to live in Canada, i was quite patriotic about Pakistan. Always supported it, felt proud and all about it, having a wish of representing it

    But ever since i started living here, the patriotism has vanished. I dont care about the country anymore, and have no hope for it. Reasons being mostly about the religious discrimination, plus the religious hypocrisy in the society.
    And also the corruption. I have seen how corruption even takes place at the lawyers area.

    I understand what you mean expats seem to project more patriotism online since they don’t have to face issues we face everyday, they live a comfortable life in first world countries and try to show their ultra patriotism..

    However a country is defined by its people and mindset of a lot of Indians is something which I don’t agree with that doesn’t make me unpatriotic but sometimes just frustrates..

    At the end of the day what is patriotism in practical terms? The ultimate sacrifice is patriotism when you die for your country defending from enemies apart from that what is patriotism? Singing national anthem, saluting national flag etc are all symbolic nationalism/patriotism the real patriotism is following the constitution, pay your taxes honestly, respect every citizen and treat them equally etc.. So tbh almost everyone I see is just following the symbolic patriotism who stand up for the national anthem to show how much they love India while evading taxes by saving HRA..

    Very few people are true patriots, the only ones who are who give the ultimately sacrifice for the nation at the borders..

  22. #22
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    21,844
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Proudly typed with a glass of British gin in hand!
    I didn't even know gin was manufactured in Britain. I am impressed. If Theresa May ever lowers the bar for immigration from India I will be happy to support your claim.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  23. #23
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    16,009
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    I didn't even know gin was manufactured in Britain. I am impressed.
    I guess it's never too late to learn and integrate:

    Britain's love of gin sees number of UK distilleries double

    The number of gin distilleries in Britain has doubled in six years, with 49 opening last year alone after a huge boost in demand.

    Official figures from HM Revenue and Customs show there were 233 licensed UK producers by the end of 2015.

    The increase, up from 116 gin producers in 2010, is said to have been driven by "boutique distilleries" that are making small batches of the spirit.


    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...leries-double/

  24. #24
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    21,844
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    I guess it's never too late to learn and integrate:
    Most Brits probably wouldn't know it to be fair, it's usually Anglophile foreigners who care that much about these things. Brits are only bothered about drinking it.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  25. #25
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    30,870
    Mentioned
    1292 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    I guess it's never too late to learn and integrate:
    They probably have huge import fees in Bradford to import from mainland UK

  26. #26
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    30,870
    Mentioned
    1292 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Overseas Pakistanis aren't anymore patriotic than those living in Pak.

    I was the same even when I was living in Pak, however, overseas Pakistanis generally live in true democracies and know what to expect of political leaders. Ever wonder why the overwhelming majority of expat Pakistanis support IK? Because they know filth like Nawaz, Shehbaz and Zardari are only looting with both hands and feet and are the worst thing to happen to the country.


    You have to be extremely dumb or jahil to support them.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    9,809
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Most Brits probably wouldn't know it to be fair, it's usually Anglophile foreigners who care that much about these things. Brits are only bothered about drinking it.
    Not fair that you extrapolate your ignorance as a non native british citizen to the real Brits. Do you even drink gin?

  28. #28
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    2,159
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    They probably have huge import fees in Bradford to import from mainland UK
    Lol in Bradford the "Indigenous" Population is over 60% in some Places in the Poverty Capital of England it's 16%.

    It is probably even worse in Mississauga, Do any White people still live there?

  29. #29
    Debut
    Apr 2009
    Runs
    7,324
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was a regular Pakistani Joshila bhai when I was at university abroad. At one point, a friend and I walked up to the head of our university's Student Union and demanded that an article in the SU's paper (the same paper that was the first in the UK to print the Danish cartoons) lambasting Pakistan after the attack on the SL team be retracted with an apology. Given how my views on censorship have evolved since returning to Pakistan, I still laugh (and cringe at the same time) when I think about that.

    While I'm not crazy about my decision to return, I'm still thankful because if I hadn't, I'd probably still be like that, a notion that makes me physically sick. Returning to Pakistan and experiencing it as an adult in a professional setting (i.e. in a non sheltered environment) is an invaluable experience and many in Pakistan who have underwent a similar journey laugh when someone who has spent maybe 3 month total, spread out over several years, in Pakistan goes on about how great everything is and how patriotic they are towards what is essentially a foreign nation.
    Last edited by DW44; 14th January 2018 at 14:02.


    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Military and mullah
    *Redacted*

  30. #30
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    21,844
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    Not fair that you extrapolate your ignorance as a non native british citizen to the real Brits. Do you even drink gin?
    Brits do drink gin, I already said that, just most of them wouldn't bother posting a link from an article to prove they know it's place of manufacture. The boutique distilleries mentioned in that article is correct though, as gin is currently the drink on trend in the UK, there are a lot of smaller distilleries springing up. Your assumptions about my ignorance are misplaced, as a native Brit though, I will be happy to educate you on matters of this fair isle if you so wish.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  31. #31
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    9,809
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Brits do drink gin, I already said that, just most of them wouldn't bother posting a link from an article to prove they know it's place of manufacture.
    That is a good point. Same way how native Brits won't be bothered to state they are natives in every other comment. As Shakespeare said..The lady doth protest too much, methinks. If you are ignorant about Shakespeare's works and English Literature let me know. Will help you integrate better.

  32. #32
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    21,844
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    That is a good point. Same way how native Brits won't be bothered to state they are natives in every other comment. As Shakespeare said..The lady doth protest too much, methinks. If you are ignorant about Shakespeare's works and English Literature let me know. Will help you integrate better.
    I disagree with the general tone of that thread about what constitutes a native Brit. The consensus seemed to be that it takes 300 years or so for immigrants to change the culture of the host nation, but that is just an opinion. Curry has already become Britain's favourite food in a small matter of a generation. Pakistani style curry mind you, not Indian. I say that for information purpose only, it's not some pathetic attempt at one-upmanship. So if one generation is all it takes, I as a second generation am most certainly a native Brit.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  33. #33
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    9,809
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    I disagree with the general tone of that thread about what constitutes a native Brit. The consensus seemed to be that it takes 300 years or so for immigrants to change the culture of the host nation, but that is just an opinion. Curry has already become Britain's favourite food in a small matter of a generation. Pakistani style curry mind you, not Indian. I say that for information purpose only, it's not some pathetic attempt at one-upmanship. So if one generation is all it takes, I as a second generation am most certainly a native Brit.
    No one raises questions if Uncle Robert is a native, and he wouldn't be bothered in explaining how he is. But you have people disagreeing and you are forced to defend. That says it all.

    I agree the struggle is real, and I support anyone who takes the effort to adopt the customs and ideals to suit the host country, because that is something they can change as they can't change their looks or skin color. So I support the Bobby Jindals of the world in their dream of being seen as a native just like the indigenous population.

  34. #34
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    21,844
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Bobby Jindall and Nikki Haley have left me far behind now that you mention it. here I am with a stupid user name when I could have picked a moniker like Brigadier Bigham-Jones. I am stung.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  35. #35
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    21,844
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    One thing which probably should be mentioned with regard to this question is that it is probably misleading to form opinions based on social media. For a start, a lot of home based Pakistanis probably don't use social media that much, I would think most of them don't post on forums like this one either. Message boards, by their very nature attract negative views and those who have grievances with the country. I think that is why you get opinions on here which don't seem to tally with those of the country we are talking about. If Pakistanis were really unhappy with how they are doing things in Pakistan they would be fighting much harder to change things.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  36. #36
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    10,867
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would definitely live in Pakistan if given an opportunity when older. Not long-term, but maybe 6 months to a year's time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •