User Tag List

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did the Champions Trophy win do more harm than good?

Looking at the current performance, our seniors have failed. Would it had been better that we not won the champions trophy as that would have atleast gotten rid of som of the seniors. I think Sarfaraz himself asks for hafeez, malik and azhar because he knows that if they loose the blame will fall equally on the seniors. If he plays youngsters, then the blame will fall on the captain himself.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry hafeez and azhar out of the next 2 games

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harris needs to take his chance like In test and that's one problem solved

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really. Even if we didn't win it would've been the same lineup. Do you honestly think the Pakistani management has any sharam?

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For passionate Pakistani fans it did more harm by extending careers of liability players.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "This business that it's 'up to Misbah' whether he wants to play or not – that's rubbish - it's up to the selectors," Chappell said.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Na not really

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP is a classic case of overthinking. How can you extrapolate future events like this?

Winning an ICC tournament is big, savour that.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Tad melodramatic

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It will harm us more than good. Inzamam got praised for selecting squad so as our so-called seniors.May be we have to wait atleast 2019 World cup to end the torture if we are lucky

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    In your dil, but not in your dimaag.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    891 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Has winning the Champions Trophy hurt Pakistan in the long run?

Feel like winning the thing with passengers like Azhar, Hafeez, Malik and Sarfraz has given all these guys a new lease on life. Even if they didn’t perform in all games, simply by association it seems like selectors have given them another go.

Had Thisara Perera hung on to Sarfraz’s catch all these deadweights may have been dropped, if not most.

Swing it like Akram, whack it like Afridi, live it like Inti.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    CT win was watched by hundreds of millions around the world, was against your arch rival in an icc tournament.. You guys just need to get rid of the dead weight Inzy needs to be smart selector.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    NO - It has brought a global trophy to PAK.

Had PAK lost all 3 group matches, still Ul Haq would have kept his favorites. In fact, chances are high that Hasan, Raees, Shadab, Fahim, Fakhar would have been dropped by now.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Srinagar, indian occupied kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We would have been still carrying these passengers, atleast CT win brought some joys on our faces

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We won a major trophy

No it didn't

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    🙏🏽Enough of the CT17 win song 🤦🏽*♂️

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If we had lost the youngsters would have gotten the axe, the failing seniors would have stayed because:"we need to build a new team around experienced players to help the youngsters along".

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we should not have won the ICC Champions Trophy for the betterment of Pak Cricket!!? What a stupid theory that is. At least we gave the fans something to cheer about then. I would never swap that for winning in New Zealand. Every tournament and tour brings different challenges.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan were very lucky that India had a day off in the CT although India are crap they should have won the CT.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    You won an international trophy, I'd take that over a dozen series wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would trade a good stable consistent team over a CT win. Even WI won that, but it didnt help their Cricket much.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    This reality check was inevitable. Our deluded fans were in the clouds after the Champions Trophy fluke, and they needed a dose of reality.

Our fans fully deserve this humiliation.

Pakistan cricket and mediocrity are synonymous - now, always and forever.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BDfanforever View Post
    I would trade a good stable consistent team over a CT win. Even WI won that, but it didnt help their Cricket much.
    Might have exaggerated, but yeah I would take our overall results/performances over Pakistan's + the CT. It must be so infuriating to follow them.

Pakistan's results and WC would be tough, idk how I would be able to put up with such performances.
    Last edited by Aman; 13th January 2018 at 04:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winning major tournaments is what every team prepares for, isn't it ?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manager101 View Post
    Winning major tournaments is what every team prepares for, isn't it ?
    think issue is that management thought they had reached the top and they can still stay there based on CT win

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Look at the positives, we got rid of Wahab and Shehzad.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    838 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matlab kuch bhi View Post
    The OP is a classic case of overthinking. How can you extrapolate future events like this?

Winning an ICC tournament is big, savour that.
    Exactly.

Overthinking and over analyzing.

Winning an ICC tourney is a great achievement.

You got it? Enjoy it.

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    think issue is that management thought they had reached the top and they can still stay there based on CT win
    Hafeez should have been told to leave the game gracefully. Pakistan really need to eliminate this senior culture. Australia did not pick aging Katich anymore even though he was performing pretty well when he was dropped. They dropped the likes of Waugh brothers, Symonds, etc. what is preventing Inzy from dropping 35+ players?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    838 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    This reality check was inevitable. Our deluded fans were in the clouds after the Champions Trophy fluke, and they needed a dose of reality.

A team cannot go from mediocre to great in a span of a week.

Fans in their josh forget that.

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Agreed, probably we will need lots of improvement in batting department with regards to including players with intention and technique to play at 6 rpo atleast. Maybe Sahibzada Farhan and Harris Sohail have that skills to do that but they will also need to prove that in ODI level and improve aswell.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post

LOL. Its been a long time since the ICC wins but your still so hurt?

This JAMODIS will be forgotten in a month. The epic PHAINTA we gave to your team in the final is one for the ages.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In the end it only matters how many ICC trophies your team has won. Bilaterals are good entertainment but dont stand the test of time. If my team keep failing in bilaterals and winning the odd ICC tournament, I will take it any day.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true cricketcartoons, nothing riding on bilaterals 9/10 home team will win.

Come the wrld cup nxt year its a given smith kohli or sarfaraz will be lifting the cup. The rest r just making up the numbers, your SA NZ ENg will choke/fail miserably as usual.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replacement of Hafeez,Azhar,Malik and Sarfraz will be Shehzad, Maqsood, Asad, Akmal.So those who are dreaming of a revival of Pak ODI team are really fools. Winning CT was marvelous but Pakistan won the trophy with a mediocre team and it was inevitable that they will be exposed soon. WI also won the CT but they had been always a minnow ODI team since then.Pakistan's real ODI status is reflected on their ODI ranking.Pakistan always presented some amazing talents in the past but that was a long time ago.Pipeline seems to be empty now and that means they will in trouble for a long time in coming days.

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Dhaka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. It didn't harm any cricketer. It did harm ONLY the FANS (made them more delusional).

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    This kiwi tour is just the slap in face team needed. Hopefully all senior batsmen will get the boot for their pathetic performances.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take a Champions Trophy win over India against 10 straight series whitewash losses.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No... it’s just that we need to build on it.

Clearly it showed that youngsters are the way forward. We just need to get rid of the dead wood.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BDfanforever View Post
    Never - a trophy win is a trophy win. No one bothers how good & talented this French football team is - people’ll remember Pourtugal for ever for that Euro win.

For PAK’s case, that win was even more vital, not for only for trophy cabinet - it has saved Shadab, Fahim & Fakhar from the ‘inexperience’ curse. I am sure you don’t know in his 4 years, Ul Haq welcomed 4 new comers in his team in total - one in his last series; other three were dropped after their debut match - 2 forever. And, that was the period PAK won back to back U19 WC.

If he wasn’t instrumental and MoS, I actually would have been skeptic about Hasan as well - Gul hasn’t left cricket yet, and Ul Haq’s memory tells that Gul was his death bowler 12 years back ......

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for future we should avoid winning any big tournament because that will harm us in longer run. Smart OP

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Bury
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some of the important players from CT are missing from current line up. Junaid and imad leave gaping holes in the bowling. It’s the lack of penetration shown by the bowlers which I find more troubling than batting collapses.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Our post CT decisions are what I regret. Should have gotten rid of the dead wood.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    I think some players actually think they are better than what they actually are.

Sometimes a tournament win can inflate a few egos and make people think they are irreplaceable and that is what is happening at the moment.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    898 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Lol. Stop your wrist-slitting already. The CT win was absolutely fantastic and was the greatest triumph of any team in 2017. A legendary chapter in the history of Pakistan cricket.

I don't give a rat's tail about the current series, comparatively speaking. We're two quality pacers short, the team's poor performance can be attributed to poor form and we will soon rid ourselves of Hafeez and Azhar.

Now that the weaknesses have been laid bare, the team will improve and will be stronger than they were going into this series. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, after all. Fickle fans can continue being fickle however.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    898 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Our post CT decisions are what I regret. Should have gotten rid of the dead wood.
    How do you get rid of performing players out of the blue? How do you even justify that to the public? Someone like Malik has a huge following in Pakistan.

Only after a failure can the team remove dead wood, so from that perspective this current series is a blessing in disguise.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol Champions Trophy and World Cups are what all these bilaterals are used to prepare for.

How can winning the ultimate trophy do you harm?

Tbh Pak needs to do away with Azhar Ali, Shoaib Malik, Mohammed Hafeez.

Bring in more youngsters, not like you are winning or losing respectably anyway. Why not blood in youngsters before 2019 World Cup?

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    How do you get rid of performing players out of the blue? How do you even justify that to the public? Someone like Malik has a huge following in Pakistan.

Only after a failure can the team remove dead wood, so from that perspective this current series is a blessing in disguise.
    So a team is selected based on how his fans react in Pakistan? That's absurd. Even in India, I think there was probably only one player who was untouchable, SRT. Even Dada in his prime was sacked and dropped unceremoniously, and wasn't picked till he did well in domestic despite how much uproar his fans caused.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Exactly.

Overthinking and over analyzing.

Winning an ICC tourney is a great achievement.

You got it? Enjoy it.
    Yeah, I'm actually suprised that this is a serious discussion.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sometimes you have to make brave decisions to do prosper in the future. With the revolutionary in charge this won't happen. Hafeez and Azhar will play till the 2019 WC. Inzi is loyal to certain players, you'll see and you will keep on backing these selections .

I would have stuck with Malik but judge him on a series by basis. I would have him in the squad at the very minimum. Right now he's guaranteed a start.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    898 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Sometimes you have to make brave decisions to do prosper in the future. With the revolutionary in charge this won't happen. Hafeez and Azhar will play till the 2019 WC. Inzi is loyal to certain players, you'll see and you will keep on backing these selections .

I would have stuck with Malik but judge him on a series by basis. I would have him in the squad at the very minimum. Right now he's guaranteed a start.
    Very easy to say in hindsight. Unless Hafeez and Azhar improve their performances drastically, they will not be playing the next World Cup. The "Revolutionary" has dumped many TTFs and brought in several youngsters. However, you were one of those that wanted him sacked after the CT squad was announced so I don't expect you to ever praise him again after we ended up winning the CT...

Quote Originally Posted by Cricfan4eva View Post
    So a team is selected based on how his fans react in Pakistan? That's absurd. Even in India, I think there was probably only one player who was untouchable, SRT. Even Dada in his prime was sacked and dropped unceremoniously, and wasn't picked till he did well in domestic despite how much uproar his fans caused.
    Yes, yes. We all know how perfect the selection process is in India. That is why you still have a washed up Dhoni in your ODI side, have Rohit Sharma playing tests in South Africa instead of Rahane and why the likes of Kapil, Sachin, Sehwag, Yuvraj, etc all continued playing well past their sell-by dates.

The selectors have to be accountable to someone. They simply could not justify dropping Azhar and Hafeez after the CT when both of them helped us win the tournament and both did well against Sri Lanka as well, IIRC.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Problem is seniors need to be dropped now. Otherwise if they score in the last two dead rubbers, they will be retained. Which only hurts the future.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah

a poor selection and not enough prepartions did this
    though to be honest, i didn't expect us to win the series, but these performances have been embarrassing.

we are playing a batsman less
    and only 1 from Hafeez/Malik should be playing

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alot of players have been kicked out like Wahab, Shehzad, Umar Akmal, Asad Shafiq and many more players that aren't good enough in ODI cricket and maybe the other formats to......... actually yeah they aren't good enough for Pakistan. With that being said Hafeez, Malik and Azhar are the only ones left from the ODI team to be kicked out and I for one am hoping that they are kicked out after the NZ series which they won't be though.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, yes. We all know how perfect the selection process is in India. That is why you still have a washed up Dhoni in your ODI side, have Rohit Sharma playing tests in South Africa instead of Rahane and why the likes of Kapil, Sachin, Sehwag, Yuvraj, etc all continued playing well past their sell-by dates.

The selectors have to be accountable to someone. They simply could not justify dropping Azhar and Hafeez after the CT when both of them helped us win the tournament and both did well against Sri Lanka as well, IIRC.
    A washed up Dhoni who averages well over 50 in ODI's last year?

Rohit over Rahane is ridiculous - indefensible. That only goes to show no matter how good you are, you can get dropped based on poor form. While Malik, Hafeez and Azhar keep playing on reputation?

Yuvraj, Sehwag unceremoniously sacked from the sides not once but many a times.

SRT was the only one who hung around and couldn't be booted. Which I mentioned.

Kapil well he had the luck of being a fast-bowling all-rounder which India couldn't find a replacement for.

I bothered to answer all this just to show how hollow your argument is but I would still like to ask why bring India into a thread which is talking about Pakistan's team selection?

Or do you think Pakistan are playing their best team and this is what they can muster? A 0-3 down and 74 all out.

Please don't be predictable and discuss about India's test performance. Answer to the point or don't bother.
    Last edited by Cricfan4eva; 13th January 2018 at 23:01.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Problem is seniors need to be dropped now. Otherwise if they score in the last two dead rubbers, they will be retained. Which only hurts the future.
    Such a cool idea - Ul Haq knew it long back.

So,now Azhar, Malik drops out, Imam & Nawaz comes from youngsters quota for future. Sarfu also needs to rest, so multi facet MoHa keeps his spot as WK. Amir isn't getting wickets - so Yamin comes to take the new ball with his swing, as there is no 4th pacer.

Brilliant idea indeed, so was the squad - that's why they are selectors, know & see much better that key board worriers (and that reflects in T20 squad perfectly)

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very easy to say in hindsight. Unless Hafeez and Azhar improve their performances drastically, they will not be playing the next World Cup. The "Revolutionary" has dumped many TTFs and brought in several youngsters. However, you were one of those that wanted him sacked after the CT squad was announced so I don't expect you to ever praise him again after we ended up winning the CT...

Let's see if Azhar and Hafeez get dropped. Inzi has a chance to discard Hafeez but recalled him for the Australia LO series . Ever since than apart from a couple of innings he's been rubbish. Yet he still selected so I seriously doubt a year away from the WC Inzi will drop Hafeez.

I will give him credit if he does well which I have before. If he doesn't drop Hafeez after failures, you will still defend Inzi .

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan team doesn't care about silly bilateral games. They will show their true mettle during the 2019 world cup.