UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)

The toll of captaining Pakistan in all three formats

Too much on his plate.

Question marks over his behaviour as captain.

Question marks over his form.

Question marks over his fitness.

The above are concerns being raised.

Is the toll of captaining Pakistan in all three formats, too much to handle for Sarfaraz?

Captaining Pakistan in one format is hard enough, but to be asked to skipper in all three formats is a very tough ask.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He’s played 2 test matches, 8 ODIs and 6 T20s since the Champions Trophy.

It’s not a tough schedule.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Captain for 3 formats is one thing. To captain bunch Of clueless, past their expiry date players is another. Have 3-4 shadab n hasan kind young players and see the difference.

They already showing that young players makes difference not “experienced and blessed to play all formats kind players”

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't see any issue with the schedule. But captaining Pakistan is more about keeping the team members motivated and keeping yourself motivated, which can be quite difficult at times given the roller coaster ride. Your temperament and confidence as a captain will be tested quite often on the field.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Best captain since IK we were told by his fan boys .

I think he should drop T20s, he doesn't make the team on merit and it will reduce his workload. He doesn't have the fitness to play all 3 formats.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amir should be seriously considered as captain for T20's.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    Shadab

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If Imad does well with Karachi Kings, then I don’t mind if he’s T20 skipper

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    Shadab
    Too young and inexperienced.

Besides - PCB is not known for giving your players positions of responsibility.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    He’s played 2 test matches, 8 ODIs and 6 T20s since the Champions Trophy.

It’s not a tough schedule.
    Maybe not but you've got the planning and preparation to consider before every series. I personally don't think it's too tough either but having to manage a useless team in all three formats could be having its toll.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Nobody has had it tougher than Dhoni did i.e. playing test cricket, odi and t-20 cricket for india, playing the IPL. India's calender is perhaps one of the busiest amongst all teams and Dhoni did it for a good 8-10 years where he had many good times and some bad times as well.

Sarfaraz has not had anywhere near the workload compared to Dhoni and Pakistan unfortunately do not even play the volume of cricket that teams like Australia, India, England play. Obviously Sarfaraz's lack of fitness is his own fault, it is inexcusable as the captain of an international side to turn up with a paunch. As far as his performances are concerned, he is just going through a bad patch which can happen to anyone, he has to lead by example and a team always looks to the captain in difficult circumstances.

I know Sarfaraz has plenty of domestic experience but he is very much an on top cricketer, he looks brilliant when Pakistan is dominating the opposition from the beginning and has everything under control. Whenever the other team fights back and puts the team under pressure, his shoulders and body language just drops and the team gives up. This is the difference between Dhoni and him.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve Smith captains 4 teams. So its no excuse

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2572 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    I'd go for Imad.

Hs experience and makes the team on merit.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    It's a complex situation - his game doesn't suit LO cricket, his fitness doesn't suit 5 day game 2 Tests, 8 ODIs & 6 T20s in 7 months - may be to much, I don't know - at least he hasn't been enough in the middle with bat to be tiered that much .....

Only aapsos, people couldn't see it a year back, when a 30+, 15KG+, bottom heavy WK was appointed Captain for all 3 formats, who was worse than Mushfique, at that time in his core job - W Keeping.

But, none can't complain that it wasn't warned ......

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a player is good enough then he can manage any number of teams..MSD captained 4 teams for 8 years..kohli, smith,williamson and also faf does it.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Our next captain needs to make the team on merit. Sarfraz doesn't make the team on merit. Azhar didn't when he was ODI captain. Misbah didn't and look how we performed other than CT victory.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    If Imad does well with Karachi Kings, then I don’t mind if he’s T20 skipper
    Quote Originally Posted by Square Drive View Post
    I'd go for Imad.

Hs experience and makes the team on merit.
    Unfortunately - Imad is even more unfit than Sarfraz.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2572 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately - Imad is even more unfit than Sarfraz.
    Don't have to be the fittest guy on earth to captain in T20Is.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    I just wonder if all the Champions Trophy hype has got to Sarfaraz.

Some of the media especially in Karachi lited him on a pedestal and he has come crashing back to earth with a loud bang.

Needs to up his game, up his captaincy, get fitter and start performing, or give up at least one of the captaincy roles.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No doubt something isn't right. His form has fallen off a cliff.

Also he looks like he's put on a few pounds too. His batting/WK has suffered. Surely if you're a fitness coach you tell him to lose the weight. What are they doing?

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wast just studying the archives and the events which led to Younis Khan resignation in 2009. Thes ekinds of campaigns will destroy our chances in WC 2019.

Firstly batting order collapsing and Amir not taking wickets is their fault more than Sarfaraz. To target Sarfaraz only is wrong.
    There is chief selector, there is role of the seniors.

If Sarfaraz is replaced we would go back 10 years and forget we would win anything.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamstead_joy View Post
    I wast just studying the archives and the events which led to Younis Khan resignation in 2009. Thes ekinds of campaigns will destroy our chances in WC 2019.

Firstly batting order collapsing and Amir not taking wickets is their fault more than Sarfaraz. To target Sarfaraz only is wrong.
    There is chief selector, there is role of the seniors.

If Sarfaraz is replaced we would go back 10 years and forget we would win anything.
    Problem is that Safaraz is not taking his batting and fitness seriously. He needs some sort of warning there.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    These threads are hilarious, but Frank Sinatra describes Pakistan cricket best; you're riding high in April, shot down in May

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post

Some of the media especially in Karachi lited him on a pedestal and he has come crashing back to earth with a loud bang.

Needs to up his game, up his captaincy, get fitter and start performing, or give up at least one of the captaincy roles.
    I think more of nepotism is bringing him down. He is unable to "rest" his senior team members. I am sure if we would have lost with Harris, Yamin and Sahibzada, he would have a perfect excuse that it is young team in transition. He persisted with his friends failure after failure, am not sure why he is scared to rest them.

A boat is safe in the harbor. But this is not the purpose of a boat." ~ Paulo Coelho

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post

Ever since becoming captain, it seems like he has given up on his batting. He doesn't seem interested in going in to bat or have faith in his batting to do something substantial. Even uptil last England tour, he was consistently chipping in with runs and the effort he was putting in was clearly visible. Now he seems like, he doesnt even trust himself to do something. Looks out of depth while batting and appears as if he isn't putting the hard yards in the nets on his batting. His batting style is ideal for a no. 4 batter for someone who can keep the momentum up between the 10th-40th over with consistent strike rotation. Even if he wants to bat at no. 6, he should work on hitting the gaps and power hitting. There has been a stark decline in his batting since 2016.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Edmonton-Lahore Canada-Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would be all for that, but doubt PCB will ever make Amir Captain. Fakhar should be considered for the spot in T20's he is going to be VC of Lahore Qalandars in upcoming PSL, should learn a lot along side McCullum

IN PAKISTAN LIES OUR DELIVERANCE,DEFENCE, AND HONOUR.
    -Muhammad Ali Jinnah