User Tag List

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Is the Yo-Yo test really a good indicator of how fit you are overall?

Was watching an interview of Abdul Razzaq on PTV Sports where he criticized the team for not being fit enough. He mentioned that he himself recently score 18 on the yo-yo test at the NCA even though he himself has not been doing anything regarding his fitness and mentioned that this yo-yo test doesn't necessarily reflect on how good you are.

If the present team management is basing player fitness on yo-yo tests, then how the likes of Azhar Ali, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Imad Wasim, Rumman Raees and co have paunches? It is clear our players let themselves go after the Sri Lankan series and their lack of fitness is showing on the NZ tour.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If yo-yo tests were conducted 10-15 years ago, then Laxman would have been dropped permanently from the test side, our premier batsman in Australian conditions.

Basic fitness is sufficient, there has to be a balance between skill and fitness.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matlab kuch bhi View Post
    If yo-yo tests were conducted 10-15 years ago, then Laxman would have been dropped permanently from the test side, our premier batsman in Australian conditions.

Basic fitness is sufficient, there has to be a balance between skill and fitness.
    My question is that does the yo-yo test really test your overall fitness? How come we have 3-4 unfit players in the team right now but they have cleared the yo-yo tests?

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    East Coast, US.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laxman? Sarfraz looks like it's his stomach Laxman sleeps in.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    My question is that does the yo-yo test really test your overall fitness? How come we have 3-4 unfit players in the team right now but they have cleared the yo-yo tests?
    That's exactly what I meant - discard yoyo tests completely. Go back to old ways of testing fitness why complicate things?

For the record Ashwin has cleared the yoyo test too, probably our worst fielder.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's okay. What alternative ways are there? Can't do stuff like "who can bench more than 100lb?" etc.