Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    748 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

England players must commit 100% to new ideas or face axe, says Joe Root

Joe Root has issued a stark warning that he will take a hard line on those England players who do not shape up as he looks to rebuild after relinquishing the Ashes. Speaking for the first time since Australia sealed an emphatic 4-0 series win in the final Test at the SCG, the Test captain stressed that he and those around him need to recalibrate how England can move forward.

Root also said he was prepared to defy the wish of Trevor Bayliss, the head coach, that he take a recuperative break from the game. Root declined to rest for the forthcoming T20i tri-series against Australia and New Zealand and believes that series and the Indian Premier League are necessary for his development as a multi‑format batsman.

Root said: ďIíve got a period of time going into the New Zealand series where I want to get myself clear on how I want to move forward, along with Trevor and the support staff, and make sure when we start that tour there is a clear indication of what direction weíre going to be going in. If the lads arenít prepared to get on board with that then weíve got to go with someone different. But Iím sure everyone will be absolutely 100% in the same thinking.Ē

The 27-year-old has been recovering from the gastroenteritis that kept him up the night before the last day of the Sydney Test. While he was able to bat in the morning after a trip to hospital, he had to retire on 58 at lunch. It meant his series finished with 378 runs (the most for England) and five half-centuries but no three-figure score. By contrast, his opposite number, Steve Smith, chalked up an impressive 687, with three centuries, including a top-score of 239 and an average of 137.40.

What time Root had on his sickbed was spent plotting recovery, which begins in May with two Tests against New Zealand. By then, he will have more clarity on how best to move on and has urged his team-mates to follow his lead.

Four years ago, a 5-0 whitewash brought changes to personnel. Andy Flower was deposed as coach, Kevin Pietersen was banished from international cricket and Graeme Swann retired through injury. Root played the first three Tests of the 2013-14 tour before being dropped and is keen to heed the lessons of this tumultuous period in English cricket.

ďFour years ago, one of the big things was that within two months of the end of that tour, it was a completely different team. There were a lot of new faces at the start of the next Test match. One thing we learned from that is how important it is to stay together. You always learn from experiences when itís difficult. You have to make sure that they make you a stronger character and go the other way.Ē

Root also confirmed he will enter the IPL auction, despite the protestations of Bayliss. ďThe schedule is full on. Iíve always said I put playing for England first and if it means resting from things like the IPL, which Iíve done in the past, Iíll happily do that. For however long my international career lasts itís going to be focused about giving as much as I can for this team and playing for England.

ďBut one thing Iíve been very aware of for the past two years is the lack of T20 cricket. When that World Cup does come around, this is probably the best window of opportunity for me to develop that white-ball side of my game. Youíve seen how quickly one-day cricket has moved forward in the last three or four years.

ďAs someone involved in the Test side I donít want to be missing white-ball cricket and falling behind, trying to catch up. I want to make sure Iím keeping my place and setting the standards in this team, leading the way.

ďThe IPL is a great opportunity. It may be that I donít have a great IPL but the best thing would be the exposure to different players and different ways of looking at the game, being under pressure for long periods of time. I canít see how that could hamper my game or be detrimental to my England career.Ē

Root will be one of 26 England players to enter this yearís IPL auction, which takes place on 27 and 28 January. The tournament itself is scheduled to run from 4 April to 31 May, meaning Rootís availability will be only partial given his international commitments, with the second Test against New Zealand scheduled to finish on 3 April and the first Test of the English summer (against Pakistan at Lordís) starting on 24 May.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-says-joe-root

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Someone better listen to him or England's goose will be truly cooked!

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good on Root.

Told Bayliss to stuff off when it comes to all breaks being from T20.

He is an ambitious guy and smart enough to realize not playing enough white-ball will hurt him badly.

Good to see Root in the IPL.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel this attitude might turn into a disaster for England.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He has certainly shown everyone else who is in charge with these statements!

Now he has to back this talk up on the field and start leading England to some victories.