Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketZ View Post
    Another failure for future superstar..
    Looks like you are bit obsessed with Gill. Is it that U19 WC century thats still bothering you?

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacy with wisdom View Post
    He was roughed up in the last test and was all at see.
    The way he submitted to Archer by getting caught at mid-on was a sight to behold.
    Exilherating bowling.

I hope Gill recovers from that.
    When did that happen??i thought he was smacking him around and got too overconfident

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketZ View Post
    Another failure for future superstar..
    Just like your own current superstar

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    should be backed hes a good player

Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another failure for future superstar. I remember people saying this guy is way better than Babar...

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...-trophy/730873

Fast-rising India batsman Shubman Gill says making his Test debut in Australia felt like "going into a war" and an important lesson that he came back with was never to "rule someone out of a scenario". The 21-year-old was impressive during the tour, with a highest of 91 and another half century to total 259 in the four-match series that an injury-ravaged India won 2-1.
    Gill made his debut in the second Test in Melbourne from where India's turnaround started after the thrashing in the Adelaide day-nighter.

"As long as the fielding lasted, I was pretty normal. But when we finally batted, and I was taking a walk down from the dressing room to the pitch with the crowd cheering (backing the Aussies, nevertheless), it was an experience of a kind! It felt like going into a war!" he told his IPL franchise Kolkata Knight Riders' official website.

Before the game started, he was swept by emotions as head coach Ravi Shastri presented him with his Test cap. "It's inexplicable. At times you go through a sea of emotions which just make you go numb. It was that kind of a moment. Ravi Shastri gave a speech in the huddle and then I received the cap from him. After that we won the toss and elected to field first," he recalled.

Gill is yet to make a noteworthy contribution in the ongoing series against England but the youngster showed why he is touted as the next best thing in Indian cricket with his solid performances in Australia.

Asked what it meant to debut in Australia, Gill said it was like a childhood dream coming true and felt surreal. "When I was a kid, I used to get up at 4.30-5am to watch Test matches in Australia. Now people are getting up early to watch me play, that's quite a feeling. I still remember my father used to wake up early and so would I just to watch the Australia series," he remembered.

"It was a different kind of fun to watch Brett Lee bowl or Sachin sir (Tendulkar) bat. All of a sudden, I was playing in that team and Australians were bowling at me. "It felt surreal that the world was watching me. I was really looking forward to the challenge and always wanted to play in Australia to experience how it feels," he said.

And what are the lessons he brought back home? "...no matter what, you can't rule someone out of a scenario. We had so many injuries but the dressing room positivity never changed. "We got all out for 36 and despite that not for once our players or our coach or our captain and even the support staff felt bogged down or intimidated to such an extent that we didn't know what to do next," he said. "As I had said before, if they want to play chin music, we have got all the dance moves ready!"

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'I used to bowl a lot,' KKR's Shubman Gill reveals why he stopped bowling

Shubman Gill is being viewed as a key player for KKR this season as they look to win their third trophy. On being asked if he plans to pick up bowling in the future, the Punjab cricketer gave an interesting answer.

Shubman Gill made a mark in the Test series for India against Australia where the opener scored 259 runs in 3 Tests at an average of 51.8. Gill's innings of 91 runs on the final day of the Gabba Test was crucial in setting up India's win in the match. The right-hander did not live up to the expectations in the Tests against England, but the world had already seen what the 21-year-old can do with a bat in his hand.

But what can Gill do with the ball in his hand? According to a report from news agency PTI, Gill is often seen practicing bowling at the Kolkata Knight Riders' nets ahead of the Indian Premier League 2021 season.

Gill is being viewed as a key player for KKR this season as they look to win their third trophy. On being asked if he plans to pick up bowling in the future, the Punjab cricketer gave an interesting answer.

“In U-16 and U-19, I used to bowl a lot but I was warned for suspect action in U-19 then I kind of stopped bowling," he was quoted as saying by PTI.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...610640099.html

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strike-rate is overrated, says Shubman Gill

The youngster is may still not be in team's white-ball scheme of things due to his slow strike-rate but it is not a cause of concern for him.
    Strike-rate is kind of overrated," asserted India's emerging star Gill, for whom a batsman's biggest strength is adapting to different situations without having a fixed batting style.

He was one of the architects of India's historic Test series triumph Down but Gill has played just three ODIs and is yet to make his T20I debut.

The youngster is may still not be in team's white-ball scheme of things due to his slow strike-rate but it is not a cause of concern for him.

"I think strike-rate is kind of overrated," the Kolkata Knight Riders star batsman told PTI in an interview ahead of the upcoming IPL.

"It's all about how you adapt to a certain situation. If the team demands you to play with a strike rate of 200 you should be able to do it. If the team demands you to play at a strike rate of 100, you should be able to do it. It's just about adapting to the match situation," he said confidently.

"There shouldn't be a certain pattern to your game where you are only able to play one kind of game and not being able to adapt to different situations," he added.

After his spectacular Test debut Down Under, Gill endured a lean patch in the home series against England, hitting just one-half century from seven innings.

Gill also has not played any white-ball game since his ODI appearance against Australia in December last year but lack of game time is not something that is keeping him worried.

"I don't think it will affect anything because we have almost 10-12 days before our first match against Sunrisers Hyderabad (April 11) so there's plenty of time for me to prepare," he said.

Last year he was seen donning the opener's role for KKR but Gill is ready to play any role that his captain Eoin Morgan demands.

"I'll be pretty comfortable and up for it whether the team requires me to bat in the middle-order or higher up. I'm up for anything," he said.

Asked to pick his favourite format, Gill said, "Honestly, All the three formats have their own excitement and have their own experiences."

"In Test matches there's a different type of rush and excitement. In ODIs, there's a different kind of rush and when you're playing T20s, it's different. All three are different but all three are really exciting."

Gill will have an ever-lasting memory of the Test series Down Under where he scored 259 runs in three matches.

He made his debut in the Boxing Day Melbourne Test following India's debacle in the first pink ball Day/Night Test where they got all out for a record low of 36.

"It was not a great feeling when you see the best batting lineup in the world getting bundled out for less than 40 runs.

"Seeing our batsmen getting out for such low scores, I think, it kind of motivated me more to do well whenever I got a chance. I was really determined to do well."

"Before the Adelaide Test only I knew that I'll be playing the second match in Melbourne, because that's when Virat bhai was leaving so Ravi Sir told me that I'll be playing from second Test onwards," he recalled.

The Indian opener hit a counter-attacking 91 in the second innings, something that set up their epic chase of 328 at the Gabba.

"I really wanted to get 100 on that day I thought I deserved it. But once I got to the 90s, I knew that I was getting a bit nervous. I thought I would ask for drinks to calm down my nerves but I got out in the same over," he recalled being dismissed by Nathan Lyon.

"If I have to rate my innings it was nine out of 10. If I would have got a 100 obviously I would have been able to express myself more," he said.

Gill makes the batting look easy with his sheer class and composure but he's guilty of not converting his starts.

"When I look back, I don't think I would have done anything differently. I don't have any regrets. I don't think there is any concern in not being able to convert those starts. If I see my innings, there are very few innings in which I've thrown my wicket away.

"In most of the innings, where I have not been able to convert my starts, there have been good balls," he pointed out.

Gill is often seen bowling off-spin at nets for KKR.

"In U-16 and U-19, I used to bowl a lot but I was warned for suspect action in U-19 then I kind of stopped bowling."

"Let's see, you never know I might pick it up and be determined to bowl. I think I should be able to do a pretty good job," he concluded.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/spo...y-2285785.html

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rahul too said last year that strike rates are overrated.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Could go down as an ATG

Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ‘Player with a tremendous aura around him’: Brendon McCullum suggests ‘good option’ for India’s top order in WTC Final

Brendon McCullum said Shubman Gill is a gifted talent whom people like to work with because they can see the youngster becoming one of ‘India’s greatest player’ in future.

Former New Zealand captain and Kolkata Knight Riders head coach Brendon McCullum have heaped praise on Indian opener Shubman Gill, calling him a player with a ‘tremendous aura’ around him. McCullum has observed Gill from close quarters in the KKR camp in the Indian Premier League and believes that the Punjab cricketer is similar to a young Kane Williamson.

In a conversation with Aaj Tak, McCullum said Gill is a gifted talent whom people like to work with because they can see the youngster becoming one of ‘India’s greatest player’ in future.

“I’ve been bullish about Shubman Gill, he is already a very good cricketer. The hardest thing for Shubman is that, because he is such a talent, so many people want to help him. They want to be aligned with him and be part of the Shubman Gill story because everyone sees he is going to go down as one India's greatest players,” McCullum said.

“I can't speak highly enough of him, I find him a player with a tremendous aura around him. He is not the finished product, but he has got a gift not many people have,” he added.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...916176882.html

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    India opener batsman Shubman Gill has sustained a serious shin injury which could keep him out of action for at least two months, a BCCI source told PTI on Thursday.

It is all but certain that Gill is unlikely to feature in the upcoming five-Test series against England starting in Nottingham from August 4.

"Shubman has sustained a shin stress fracture, which will keep him out of action for a minimum of two months, which effectively rules him out of the first three Tests against England in August," the source said on conditions of anonymity.

"It will be a race against time to get him fit for the final two Test matches in September after completing rehabilitation," he added.

It is understood that the shin injury got aggravated during the recently-concluded World Test Championship final against New Zealand in Southampton which India lost by 8 wickets.

"Stress fractures in the shin are not very threatening but time-consuming in terms of rest and rehabilitation," a former India pacer told PTI.

"If it would have been shin fracture, then it could have taken more than three months but shin stress fracture injury normally takes anything between 8 to 10 weeks to heal.

"If Gill's replacement, whether it's Mayank (Agarwal) or (KL) Rahul, does well, he might have to sit out and I believe the team management also won't show a lot of desperation in getting him fit for say, the fifth Test," the bowler said.

Bengal's Abhimanyu Easwaran is one of the openers on stand-by.

It is understood that physio Nitin Patel and strength and conditioning coach Soham Desai will be monitoring Gill's progress in the UK.

However, it is not clear if after being formally ruled out of the tour, he will stay back or return home for his rehabilitation at the National Cricket Academy.

The Indian team is currently on a break and will regroup in mid-July for the England series.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...136629441.html

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Indian opener Shubman Gill has been ruled out of the entire Test series against England due to an injury. Gill has suffered a shin stress fracture which is likely to keep him out of action for the next three months. Gill was India's first-choice opener with senior batsman Rohit Sharma in the World Test Championship (WTC) final against New Zealand.

However, he is unlikely to feature in the upcoming five-match Test series against England which gets underway from next month. A BCCI official recently confirmed that Gill's injury is expected to take at least three months to heal and that the team management has already requested for two openers to be sent to the UK.

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Need Shaw back asap

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    548 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by volcyz View Post
    Need Shaw back asap
    I've been hearing nothing but hype about Shaw and Gill for the better part of 2 years.

But now here we are with both of them on a merry-go-round and us trying to decide which one is less worse.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    India batsman Shubman Gill has returned back home after being ruled out of the five-match Test series against England. Gill posted an Instagram story of him arriving back in India and his family welcoming him with a cake. He suffered a shin injury and he was ruled out for eight weeks in what came as a huge blow for Team India going into the Test series against England. Sources told ANI that the injury happened after the World Test Championship final.

"He has a shin injury which he has sustained after the WTC final against New Zealand and will need around eight weeks to recover," a source explained.

This now means the Indian team management will have to look at going ahead with either Mayank Agarwal or KL Rahul as the second opener with Rohit Sharma.

Gill did not have a great outing in the World Test Championship (WTC) final against New Zealand as he recorded scores of 28 and 8 runs. He got off to a good start in the first innings but failed to convert it into a big score and gave a disappointing performance in the second innings.

New Zealand won the match by eight wickets to take the Test mace home.

After the stunning debut in the Australia series, Gill has faced a lean patch with the bat and big scores eluded him even in the four-match Test series against England earlier this year.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/shub...report-2491773

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

India is missing Shubman Gill big time!

Just thought about it. Gill is the only Indian opener in the IPL that bats with a mission to make a meaningful score from ball 1. India would have been better served by having an opening partnership of Gill and Padikal instead of Rohit/Ishan/KL. I think India have missed the trick here big time and are probably regretting it now.

But there is too much at stake to make changes such as dropping senior players like Rohit or KL to accommodate Shubman Gill.

Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure Gill could have made any difference, given his ipl form. But he could be the future Kohli.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahorijat View Post
    Not sure Gill could have made any difference, given his ipl form. But he could be the future Kohli.
    100% he would be an upgrade

The boy puts a massive price on his wicket, something these Indian bats could do with right now

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    548 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Has Gill done anything of note since Australia?

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    More like missing Rutaraj Gaikwad

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Gill was criticised for putting too much a price on his wicket and therefore going slow and costing his team in the IPL. You're right, that would have helped in this WT20, but now it's over.

If he's brought to the team now, the same player will cost the next WT20 in Australia where the par score will be near to 200 and you need players like Shaw who will hit 40 off 26 balls rather than Gill who will score 55 off 45 balls.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Paris
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    Gill was criticised for putting too much a price on his wicket and therefore going slow and costing his team in the IPL. You're right, that would have helped in this WT20, but now it's over.

If he's brought to the team now, the same player will cost the next WT20 in Australia where the par score will be near to 200 and you need players like Shaw who will hit 40 off 26 balls rather than Gill who will score 55 off 45 balls.
    I don't watch IPL at all so can you please tell me how Shaw does in it?
    He seems to have the game to play T20I from what I saw of him in international cricket.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobashir View Post
    I don't watch IPL at all so can you please tell me how Shaw does in it?
    He seems to have the game to play T20I from what I saw of him in international cricket.
    He hasn't been in great form recently, but he generally scores short quick runs. He won't score 60s or 70s, but 40 or even 35 off 20-25 balls, basically he gives quick starts but doesn't often kick on to get a big score.

Gill is opposite, he lacks the gears required for T20 cricket. He can play long innings, but that will mostly cost your team. His pace is perfect for ODI cricket but not T20s.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Paris
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He hasn't been in great form recently, but he generally scores short quick runs. He won't score 60s or 70s, but 40 or even 35 off 20-25 balls, basically he gives quick starts but doesn't often kick on to get a big score.

Gill is opposite, he lacks the gears required for T20 cricket. He can play long innings, but that will mostly cost your team. His pace is perfect for ODI cricket but not T20s.
    This is maybe what you need in T20's. Someone who can attack the powerplay. Rohit is way too slow and Rahul doesn't have the game against proper bowlers.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad/Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is so, so surprising to me how the tables have turned. I remember the Shaw was more in the mould of Sachin Tendulkar as being a long innings, classical player a couple of years ago. Gill on the other hand was another Kohli like blitz player.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    This is so, so surprising to me how the tables have turned. I remember the Shaw was more in the mould of Sachin Tendulkar as being a long innings, classical player a couple of years ago. Gill on the other hand was another Kohli like blitz player.
    No Shaw has never been in the Tendulkar mould. The only resemblance between them is their height, Shaw has a flawed technique that will get exposed in Test cricket, particularly if he continues as an opener. Shaw is more similar to Sehwag than Tendulkar.

Gill meanwhile does have resemblance to Kohli, you're right but he doesn't have the same gears Kohli had in his prime. But they're essentially different players too. Gill for example is unusually good against the short ball for a youngster, particularly from the subcontinent but Kohli was never really good and only "managed" short deliveries. Similarly Gill plays a lot of backfoot punches while Kohli hardly plays anything off the backfoot.
    Last edited by street cricketer; 1st November 2021 at 13:34.

Debut
    Oct 2019
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Played well for his 52. I feel he should play as an opener, not in the middle order.
    He has the technique and temperament to be a successful opener. He's way better than all other Indian young openers, most importantly, he's a good player on backfoot.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transparent opacity View Post
    Played well for his 52. I feel he should play as an opener, not in the middle order.
    He has the technique and temperament to be a successful opener. He's way better than all other Indian young openers, most importantly, he's a good player on backfoot.
    I agree that he seems more suited to opening the batting than someone like Shaw. Surely, India has other prospects in domestic cricket that can be groomed to take over from Kohli and Rahane in the middle order. I feel Vihari has been especially hard done by over the last few months.

Debut
    Oct 2019
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    I agree that he seems more suited to opening the batting than someone like Shaw. Surely, India has other prospects in domestic cricket that can be groomed to take over from Kohli and Rahane in the middle order. I feel Vihari has been especially hard done by over the last few months.
    Absolutely, especially after the innings Vihari played against Aus in that third Test.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transparent opacity View Post
    How will he open once KL Rahul and Rohit come back?

Debut
    Oct 2019
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    How will he open once KL Rahul and Rohit come back?
    That's a question you should ask the Indian management. I feel he's better suited as an opener.
    KL is the one who should play in the middle order. He can replace Rahane or may be Pujara.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need to score centuries. Enough of these cute little 50s. He is a class batsman but need to score some runs too.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's going to be a good player should be a permanent player in tests at the opening slot.