Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxfordchamp View Post
    He looks the complete package except for the power game..he will learn it during the IPL...Kohli also improved his power hitting after he started playing in IPL from 2008..
    Kohli captained the u19 squad in 2008 world cup and he was immediately signed by RCB in 2008 IPL....
    He has the power game. He's not using it because he's been told not to.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about Gill's power people. He is and was always very big hitter. Those fancy flicks are recent acquisition. He can and has gone in stand and hit mode before successfully though it was against much slower bowlers.

And that's why I liked his batting in this tournament, he is ready to let go of his favorite strokes for team cause.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Been a believer in Pujara's batting ever since his 525 ball innings turned a game and a series around for India.

If it wasn't for those 2 brainless runouts Indian may very well have won that series.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Glasgow/Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing special, Babar & Sami did a lot more & this stage

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Massive over hyping

The kid looks promising but there is this expectation for these young kids to perform right from day 1. Yes, they're superstars, they're equipped with the right tools of the trade.They have been successful so far, but once they move into the adult team the challenges change.That's a different ball game all together

For this reason i would always give the U-19 players more time to get acclimatized

About his batting i think its tailor made for odi cricket,but to succeed in test cricket still a long way to go.His feet are not moving well when playing on off side but looks sublime in on side scoring

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirpur express View Post
    Babar in 2012 U 19 World Cup
    287 runs 57.40 Ave 65.52 SR

S Gill
    341 runs 170.5 Ave 113.28S R

babar though has had a spectacular start to his ODI career. I doubt any batsman can achieve his dream start

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirpur express View Post
    Gill already looks a lot better than both.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gill is better than every batsmen from the Pakistan side

Dazzling the stage, Ginga Bishonen. Shinpathy!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    “Shubi kept his promise. Before leaving for New Zealand, he had promised to deliver the goods for India and get the World Cup home. His hard work of last two years has paid off,” said Lakhwinder Singh Gill, father of Indian under-19 star Shubman Gill after India thrashed Australia to win the under-19 Cricket World Cup at the Bay Oval in Tauranga today. (HIGHLIGHTS | SCORECARD)

India won their fourth Under-19 Cricket World Cup and became the first team to win more than three titles at this level. Vice-captain Shubman Gill made 30-ball knock of 31 runs in the final and was bowled by the Chandigarh-born off-spinner Param Uppal. Gill was adjudged Man of the Series.

Eighteen-year-old Shubman Gill , who was bought by IPL franchise Kolkata Knight Riders for whopping Rs 1.8 crore last week, emerged as highest run-getter with 372 runs (three half-centuries and one century) for India in the mega-event. He had played a match-winning knock of 102 runs in the semis against Pakistan.

“The final was a pressure game. The boys kept their cool and played well on a difficult pitch. I am elated that my son, who lives for the sport, was able to do well in the tournament. All credit goes to coach Rahul Dravid,” said Lakhwinder.

The Gill family shut itself off from media and guests till the match was over. Residents of their housing society put up a screen in the compound to watch the game together.

“I hope and pray that Shubman remains focused like this and after making his dream true, he works harder in order to make it to the India team. He wants to play under his idol Virat Kohli. After he returns home we are going to celebrate for a brief period before he rushes to Bangalore for Vijay Hazare Trophy to play for Punjab,” said 46-year-old Lakhwinder.

Shubman was associated with half-century partnership with final Manjot Kalra for the second wicket in the final.

“We were nervous unlike Shubi. He had a good night’s sleep on the eve of the final and was raring to hit the ground. The almighty has answered our prayers. The sacrifices we made, finally bore results. Even our village is in news now because of Shubi. We are proud of Shubi and the whole India team,” added the Punjab batsman’s mother, Keerat Gill.

The Gills live in Mohali but belong to Jalalabad in Punjab. Their house was swarmed by media and fans on Saturday morning.

Speaking during the post-match interview, Shubman said, “It’s a special feeling to achieve this feat. We dreamt for this day. It has been an amazing tournament for me. I enjoyed every bit of it. I got to learn so much with each passing game. I am going to cherish this for a long time.”

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...ZQ1xwxKJP.html

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    His flick through cover,is eerily similar to Kohli's cover drive. His on drive reminds me of Laxman. He has full range of strokes at his disposal and picks the right one almost always. Also doesn't mind leaving the balls right after a scintillating shot. He looks better than Kohli when Kohli was 19.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1882 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Must be something in India's water to keep producing these "once in a century" batsmen four, five times a century

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Kohli sees him bat, he'll ROFL all night . Even a professional artist would struggle to imitate him so well.

The big positive though is that he seems to have the skills too. He's already a very good batsman.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    His flick through cover,is eerily similar to Kohli's cover drive. His on drive reminds me of Laxman. He has full range of strokes at his disposal and picks the right one almost always. Also doesn't mind leaving the balls right after a scintillating shot. He looks better than Kohli when Kohli was 19.
    Have you seen Nasir Nawaz from Pakistan? His stance and some shots are similar to kohli.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Q View Post
    If Kohli sees him bat, he'll ROFL all night . Even a professional artist would struggle to imitate him so well.

The big positive though is that he seems to have the skills too. He's already a very good batsman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Must be something in India's water to keep producing these "once in a century" batsmen four, five times a century

This is a Kohli shot, it's incredible.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aman View Post

I cant wait to see Kohli and Gill batting together for India. That must be some sight eh kinda like when young Sehwag was batting alongside Tendulkar.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    North side of Londonnn
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Looks like India's side of Punjab is producing some good cricketers now, Gill is a very good batsman.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplicitAI View Post
    Looks like India's side of Punjab is producing some good cricketers now, Gill is a very good batsman.
    Yapp although kohli is born in delhi but ethnically he is also punjabi....kohli, gill , mandeep kalra .
    But i have no idea..why indian side of punjab never really produced express fast bowlers as pakistan punjab. May be because 80's and 90's punjab remained in very much trouble in something else ...

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1542 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Bhai itna sarcasm?

Humne kya bigada hai aapka? Koi aapki bhains chura li hum bharatiyon ne? Kiya kya hai humne?

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1542 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aman View Post

But Kohli's technique is much more compact.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot who said that Indias future is looking bright (Dev?) but it is absolutely right. The thing is that this time they even have world class bowlers.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    North side of Londonnn
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akki View Post
    Yapp although kohli is born in delhi but ethnically he is also punjabi....kohli, gill , mandeep kalra .
    But i have no idea..why indian side of punjab never really produced express fast bowlers as pakistan punjab. May be because 80's and 90's punjab remained in very much trouble in something else ...
    So far they've produced yuvraj, Harbhajan, Navjot Singh Sidhu, Bumrah (not too sure about him because he was born in Gujarat).

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1882 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Bhai itna sarcasm?

Humne kya bigada hai aapka? Koi aapki bhains chura li hum bharatiyon ne? Kiya kya hai humne?

Lol I actually meant it... Gavaskar, Sachin, Kohli and now Gill.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by volcyz View Post
    Gill is better than every batsmen from the Pakistan side
    Your statement looks similar to how Pakistani fans boast about some random bowler being better than all pacers from India.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indian punjab has produced plenty of athletes, hockey players,big and tall basketball and volleyball players and even footballers who are athletically way above than cricketers.Cricket till recently was a city based middle class game in India and hence strong kids from pind would have found it tougher.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ICC U-19 World Cup: A village celebrates its son Shubman Gill’s achievement

Shubman Gill emerged as the second highest run-getter of the ICC U-19 World Cup 2018 which India won by beating Australia in the final.

Eighty-two year old Didar Singh Gill was slightly disappointed when his son Lakhwinder and grandson Shubman left their village for Mohali in 2007. The village was founded by their ancestors and, except during the three India-Pakistan wars, the family lived there. But to ensure Shubman’s cricketing ambitions were not curtailed, his father decided to leave the countryside and move to the city.

On Saturday, Didar watched every ball of the final along with some 100-odd villagers at their home in Chak Jaimal Singh Wala village near Jalalabad as his grandson repaid the faith by ending the under-19 World Cup as the highest scorer (372) apart from bagging the player of the tournament award. “The village was founded by my great grandfather Jaimal Singh and all our ancestors have been farmers and stayed in the village. We shifted to (nearby village) Muktsar with our belongings during the three India-Pakistan wars but then we came back again,” Didar says. “Shubman’s father wanted to give him all the facilities and decided to shift.”

With the father-son duo gone, Didar took charge of the 60 acre farmland that the family owns. It took a toll on his ageing body but Didar doesn’t complain. “Earlier, I used to drive tractor for 1-2 hours every day but since 2007, I have had to drive for more than than four hours daily apart from making the frequent two-hour trip to Moga to check our water motor connections,” Didar says. “Lakhwinder used to travel with Shubman and last year we suffered a loss of Rs 6 lakh after there was a one-week delay in selling the 9,500 kg because the prices had fallen. The player of the tournament trophy’s worth is more than gold to our family.”

The family initially thought of moving to Bengaluru due to the city’s reputation as a cricket nursery but eventually decided to rent a house near the Punjab Cricket Association Stadium in Mohali and train there. Lakhwinder was worried initially about his son’s future but when, aged 14, he scored a triple ton in an under-16 state level match, he felt reassured. “When he scored the triple hundred, Yograj Singh told him that this guy will even break Yuvraj’s records,” Shubman’s uncle Sarabjit Sandhu says.

Shubman would bag BCCI’s best U-14 cricketer award for 2013-2014 season, but it was not until April 2014 that Didar understood what his grandson’s average playing day looked like. Gill was involved in a world record opening wicket partnership of 587 runs with fellow opener Nirmal Singh. He scored 351 of those runs. “His father had to travel somewhere so he asked me to watch the match. It was a hot summer day and Shubman batted for more than six hours. That day I thought that what we have put our grandson in!”

Twenty-two-year-old Khushpreet Singh played cricket with Shubman during his initial days. The duo would travel together across the city in search of a decent training ground and Khushpreet, a fast bowler, says he would end up bowling him ‘1000 balls everyday’. “Me and his father have never told him ‘well done’,” he says.” He knows that his father will appreciate him only when he will play for India for ten years. He will not stop after this.”

source: http://indianexpress.com/article/spo...ement-5050551/

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of his shots esp cover drives against spinners reminded me of Kohli.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the Indians have lined up the ducks for the next few years !!!!

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hype over Prithvi Shaw is IMO, just that. Shaw's feet movement leave a lot to be desired, and although you can cite Sehwag as an example of a successful career without much foot movement either, for now it remains to be seen whether Shaw can overcome this basic limitation.

Shubman Gill, though, looks something else, a few levels above, a few leagues further.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indian U-19 cricket team star Shubman Gill on Monday said Yuvraj Singh had a role to play in his stellar show in the ICC U-19 Cricket World Cup and had worked on his technique in the National Cricket Academy in Bangalore.

“Yuvi paaji gave a lot of guidance when I was injured. He was at the NCA and told me things about being on and off the field and gave me some tips. Then, when I had started batting, he batted along with me, which helped me a lot,” he told reporters here on Monday.

Gill emerged the second highest run-getter of the World Cup in New Zealand, and was adjudged the Player-of-the-Tournament. Barring the final against Australia where he scored 31, Gill’s scores read 63, 90*, 86 and 102*. The ton against Pakistan in the semifinals guided India to a 203-run victory.

“There was pressure for the game against Pakistan. Our openers gave us a good start, and it was going well in the middle. Rahul sir advised me to bat till the end and the partnership with Anukul (Roy) was good,” Gill said. “After my knock against Pakistan, my father said ‘well played’. It was good to be adjudged Player-of-the-tournament.”

Gill’s effortless strokeplay has earned applauds from the cricket fraternity and impressed Kolkata Knight Riders, who shelled out ₹1.8 crore for his services in the player auction. “When I was young, my father used to bowl pace and that helped my bat swing improve. I have seen Virat (Kohli) hitting that cover drive and practiced a lot for that shot.”

He said he wasn’t following the IPL auctions live as he was too exhausted after the clash against Bangladesh. “We were tired as we had played Bangladesh a day before. I woke up and got to know I was picked by KKR. At that time I didn’t think about the IPL and focused on the World Cup.”

Gill, who plays first-class cricket for Punjab and has a century to his name in the format, said playing the World Cup was a different challenge altogether. “The pressure of World Cup and Ranji is different. In Ranji, you have to be patient and in the World Cup, you have to be fast. The pressure-level in the World Cup is high as the (games) are televised. The preparation was good and we were prepared for the worst wickets. After we defeated Australia in the first match, we thought our chances were there.”

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...XDZk5RysK.html

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    Not true at all. He is very conscious about keeping the ball down. He even said that in the interview. He is not a slogger if you think. Iyer despite having some success is a rubbish slogger with so many holes in his batting. Infat Gill will become an ace Test batsman too. From whatever i saw whenever he tries to slog he mistimes badly. He is a placer of the ball like Kohli. He may have his moments in the IPL. But he will be average. And also it is rubbish to say failure in IPL means he will be ignored. Dinesh karthik keeps finding his place because of his domestic performance in syed mustaq ali, Ranji tournaments. Not because of IPL.
    Shubman Gill scored 122 (123) for Punjab vs Karnataka today. 8 fours 4 Sixes.

He absolutely does have the power game and uses it. He was just doing what he was told by Dravid.

KKR know their data analytics inside out. They would never ever shell out big bucks for a tuk-tuk player.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketAnalyst View Post

He absolutely does have the power game and uses it. He was just doing what he was told by Dravid.

KKR know their data analytics inside out. They would never ever shell out big bucks for a tuk-tuk player.
    Six sixes. I heard it is a List A record for Punjab joining Yuvi and Bhajji. Though I am still not convinced with his power game, will have to wait and watch. Having said that he has scored 8x4 + 6x6 = 68 runs in 14 balls, gives me an impression he launched himself during the death.

"Don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out in 30 seconds" Neil McCauley, Heat

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketAnalyst View Post

But look at the balls he faced. He constructs innings like Kohli methinks. He is not a slogger from ball one. He takes his time before he explodes.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    India U-19 star Shubman Gill on Sunday starred with the bat for Punjab and scripted a 4-wicket win for his team with his second hundred in List A cricket.

Gill smashed an unbeaten 123 off 122 balls to propel Punjab to 269/3 in their Group A match against Karnataka in Bengaluru. Mandeep Singh (64), Yuvraj Singh (36) and Gurkeerat Singh (35) also made useful contributions while Vinay Kumar (2 for 40) and T Pradeep (1 for 46) were successful with the ball for the hosts.

In reply, India opener KL Rahul smashed 107 from 91 balls but his fourth List A hundred went in vain as Karnataka fell short by 4 runs, managing 265/8 in 42 overs.

Siddharth Kaul (3 for 47) and Barinder Sran (2 for 76) were the pick of the bowlers for Punjab, who climbed to the third spot in Group A with the win.

Gill, who as adjudged the Player of the Tournament in the ICC U-19 World Cup which India won for the fourth time earlier this month, slammed 8 boundaries and 6 sixes during his knock.

The 18-year-old batsman equalled Yuvraj and Harbhajan Singh's record for the most sixes by a batsman in a List A innings for Punjab.

Gill was instrumental in India's U-19 World Cup victory in New Zealand where he scored 374 runs in the tournament including an unbeaten hundred in the semi-finals against Pakistan.

Gill had recently credited Yuvraj for guiding him and giving batting tips when the two were training at the National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru.

"Yuvi paaji (Yuvraj Singh) gave a lot of guidance when he was at the NCA (National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru). He told me things about on and off the field, he gave me tips and batted along with me," Gill said after returning home from the World Cup.

Seeing his tremendous form, the Kolkata Knight Riders went all-out for him and bought him at the Indian Premier League auction and bought him for a whopping Rs 1.80 crore last month.

"We were tired as we had finished the match against Bangladesh a day before (the auction). I woke up and got to know that I was picked by KKR. At that time I did not think about the IPL and the focus was on the World Cup," said Gill.

Meanwhile in a Group B match, opener Unmukt Chand returned to form with a knock of 90 as Delhi thrashed Bengal by 89 runs to continue their winning streak in the Vijay Hazare Trophy in Nadaun.

Opting to bat after winning the toss, Delhi posted a competitive 282 for two in the stipulated 50 overs at the Atal Bihari Vajpayee Stadium. In reply, Bengal were all out for 193 in 41 overs with Abhimanyu Easwaran making 67 off 89 balls in the Group B match.

In the other Group B matches, Uttar Pradesh beat Himachal Pradesh by 43 runs in Bilaspur, while Kerala defeated Tripura by four wickets in Dharamsala.

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cri...340-2018-02-11
    Last edited by hadi123; 12th February 2018 at 22:42.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Should India include Shubhman Gill in the ODI squad?

Middle order is a mess. Rahane isn’t an ODI batsman, KL Rahul is struggling. Should india test/groom Shubhman Gill or is too early?

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    Middle order is a mess. Rahane isn’t an ODI batsman, KL Rahul is struggling. Should india test/groom Shubhman Gill or is too early?
    It is worth a try. I remember Yuvraj getting fast-tracked into the Indian team after winning the u19 WC.

John 3:16

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomaskutty View Post
    It is worth a try. I remember Yuvraj getting fast-tracked into the Indian team after winning the u19 WC.
    Gill needs to score against internaitonal bowlers in IPL. A good show there will force the selectors to bring him in the Indian middle order which is in a pathetic state.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    Gill needs to score against internaitonal bowlers in IPL. A good show there will force the selectors to bring him in the Indian middle order which is in a pathetic state.
    Agreed. It will be intersting to see his IPL exploits.

John 3:16

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohali: Player of the tournament in the recently-concluded Under-19 World Cup (which India won), Shubman Gill let his bat do all the talking during the all-important semifinal clash against Pakistan – even though the Mohali lad was “nastily abused in Punjabi by the Pakistani players”.

“When I walked to the crease, the Pakistani players started abusing me in Punjabi. Those were very nasty words, I can assure you that,” Shubman told TOI on the sidelines of a felicitation ceremony at the society in Mohali where the 18-year-old resides.

“They were extreme and thought that abusing me would break my concentration. Instead, it made me even more determined. I decided I won’t engage with them and will let my bat do all the talking. I didn’t throw away my wicket even though I was suffering from cramps when batting in the 70s. I managed to remain not out till the end and scored a century.”
    Shubman had scored a match-winning unbeaten 102, which propelled India to a score of 272/9 in their allotted 50 overs. The Pakistani team fell 203 runs short of the target as they were bowled out for a paltry 69.

“I showed a little exuberance after completing the hundred; because, for me, it was a surreal feeling. Once I got back to the pavilion, I got a gentle tap on my head from Rahul sir. I thought he will praise me, but Rahul sir being the gentleman that he is said that the celebration was unnecessary,” Shubman added.

Shubman stressed that his game has improved leaps and bounds under the stewardship of Rahul Dravid. “In the last couple of years, under Rahul sir, I have become very calm. I have started to put a prize on my wicket without compromising on my aggressive batting style at all,” he said.

“For example, in our warm up match against South Africa I got out for a duck. Rahul sir came to me and said its okay that you have been dismissed cheaply, this low score is a reality check for you before the tournament.” Like an obedient ward, Shubman took the words of his coach seriously.

The youngster is determined to not let the Under-19 World Cup success be his only impact in the international cricketing arena. Shubman is ready for a grind in first-class cricket in order to achieve his ultimate dream of representing the country at the senior level.

“I am focusing on the IPL now, and if I do well I might get selected in the India ‘A’ side. I want to let my performance speak,” he said. “When the first-class season starts, I hope to have ample amount of runs under my belt.”
    After coming back from New Zealand (the U-19 World Cup venue), Shubman straightaway went to Alur in Karnataka to play for Punjab in the Vijay Hazare Trophy. He returned to his Mohali house on Thursday.
    Shubman’s father Lakhwinder Singh, therefore, is worried about his son’s Class XII board exams, which start from February 28. “There is very little time for preparation and I have told him that he has to excel in the board exams too. For me, that is equally important,” he said.

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/cr...w/62960860.cms

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1882 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomaskutty View Post
    Agreed. It will be intersting to see his IPL exploits.
    Isn't it more important that Gill performs in domestic first class and List A matches rather than mickey mouse t20 leagues?

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Isn't it more important that Gill performs in domestic first class and List A matches rather than mickey mouse t20 leagues?
    While first class and List A are important he will not face a Cummins or a Rabada in domestics.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1882 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    While first class and List A are important he will not face a Cummins or a Rabada in domestics.
    What happens if he comes in and needs to score at 200 SR (I'm sure even a master batsman like Kohli will struggle to do that from ball one) and then he gets slaughtered in the media for destroying his team's chances.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Scoring against top bowlers in international cricket shows he is ready to tackle pace in excess of 140k’s.
    Bashing 120-130k domestic trundlers is pointless.

Fans want to see if he is ready to tackle the likes of Starc, Rabada, Bumrah, BK, Morkel, Cummins etc. if he cannot play them, then he is clearly not ready for international cricket.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happens if he comes in and needs to score at 200 SR (I'm sure even a master batsman like Kohli will struggle to do that from ball one) and then he gets slaughtered in the media for destroying his team's chances.
    Like you said domestic performance is important. It is just that fans are just curious how will he perform against world class bowlers which we don't find in domestic tournament.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test of Gill's talent ..Kind of baptism with fire. Success will take him to next level, failure back to drawing board to improve further to compete at highest level

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IPL is far more important than List A or 'First-class' cricket.

It's a no-brainer. Playing under pressure against world-class players will reveal a lot more than playing against random guys from Tripura or Assam.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If he manages to know that you'll know he's a top class talent.

There's a reason Pakistan cricket has an upward trajectory after PSL.

Any number of players can block balls endlessly. Very very few players can score fast off world-class bowlers under pressure.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Star of India’s Under-19 ICC World Cup 2018 winning campaign, Shubman Gill has opened up about his experience about playing against Pakistan. Pakistan and India have always been aggressive on the field, and at u-19 level the story is no different. Speaking to Yahoo.com, Gill said: “It is one of my best innings. Before that, I was a little nervous because we were playing Pakistan. They had a good bowling attack and I was under a bit of pressure and there was so much hype around the game. We got off to a good start and the opposition was sledging. That pumped me up and I also got involved. They just abused me (‘yeh Bangladesh ke bowlers nahi hai’), so I replied ‘hum bhi Pakistan ke batsmen nahi hai’. I got really motivated by that.”

Gill is preparing to play for Kolkata in the Indian T20 League, after being purchased by the franchise for INR 1.8 Cr. He said: “I was actually sleeping when people came and told me that I had been picked up by KKR. I was more focused on the U-19 World Cup rather than the auction because the Under-19 World Cup is a once in a lifetime thing.”

http://www.cricketcountry.com/news/h...up-2018-699435

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is not even playing the first game...

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Class player
    India keep producing fantastic batsmen he seems to be future super star

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    I was more focused on the U-19 World Cup rather than the auction because the Under-19 World Cup is a once in a lifetime thing.”

http://www.cricketcountry.com/news/h...up-2018-699435
    Golden Words! Am impressed.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    They just abused me (‘yeh Bangladesh ke bowlers nahi hai’), so I replied ‘hum bhi Pakistan ke batsmen nahi hai’.”
    He would fit right in here

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shubman Gill when asked about his century against Pakistan in the U19 WC

Reporter : Tell us about your Century against pakistan.

Shubman Gill - "It is one of my best innings, before that, I was a little nervous because we were playing against Pakistan. We got off to a good start and the opposition was sledging, that pumped me up and i also got involved.
    They just abused me" Yeh bangladesh k bowlers nahi hai."
    So I Replied" Hum bhi Pakistan k batsman nahi hai."

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sledging at U19 level😂

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali Bohra View Post

Shubman Gill - "It is one of my best innings, before that, I was a little nervous because we were playing against Pakistan. We got off to a good start and the opposition was sledging, that pumped me up and i also got involved.

Hilarious, looks even better with how Pakistan's U19 batsmen folded later on.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

LIT

Gill is gonna be a star.

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason is simpler- hockey, kabaddi and other games were much more popular in the area as compared to cricket.

Even today, I believe (not sure of this), Sikhs in Punjab don't gravitate to cricket as much as they do to other sports.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Such accurate trolling by Gill. This kid is gonna do great if sledging actually has a positive effect on him.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quality sledge because both of India's neighbors got burnt.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though they had intense conversation.. it was just heat of the moment.. pak players were in pressure, they would hv thought through sledging they can get him out..

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But Shubman gill responded well to the pressure..

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryin Out Loud View Post
    The reason is simpler- hockey, kabaddi and other games were much more popular in the area as compared to cricket.

Even today, I believe (not sure of this), Sikhs in Punjab don't gravitate to cricket as much as they do to other sports.
    Same can be said about Pakistani Punjab

Kabaddi is very popular and so are other sports
    That doesn't give any excuse for not producing a single good fast bowler in the last 70 years

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    Quality sledge because both of India's neighbors got burnt.
    Gill is class and is future star
    But the thing is he was drop twice in pakistan match so no he was given life which he captalize on it and score big

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeed5646 View Post
    Gill is class and is future star
    But the thing is he was drop twice in pakistan match so no he was given life which he captalize on it and score big
    He gave chances while on 98. First , fielders dint go for their catch and the other one was a no-ball. So he dint exactly live a charmed life.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be a pleasure to watch him bat alongside Kohli in Indian middle order. I think in 2023 WC, we might see Rahul opening, Kohli and Gill batting at 3 & 4 and Pant at 6 with gloves.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    It will be a pleasure to watch him bat alongside Kohli in Indian middle order. I think in 2023 WC, we might see Rahul opening, Kohli and Gill batting at 3 & 4 and Pant at 6 with gloves.
    The second choice batting line up looks great now

Shaw
    Rahul
    Gill
    Pant
    Rayudu
    Samson
    Iyer

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looked impressive .

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deodhar Trophy

INDA 293/6 (50.0 Ovs)
    INDC 296/4 (47.0 Ovs)
    India C won by 6 wkts

PLAYER OF THE MATCH
    Shubman Gill -106(111) 8x4 3x6

Was a sublime innings in a tricky chase on a tricky pitch. He made Kaul and Siraj look ordinary. It is unfortunate that the WC is only a few months away. I cannot wait to see him bat at 4 after the WC. He and Shaw should be groomed for 2023 right now.

"Don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out in 30 seconds" Neil McCauley, Heat

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryin Out Loud View Post
    The hype over Prithvi Shaw is IMO, just that. Shaw's feet movement leave a lot to be desired, and although you can cite Sehwag as an example of a successful career without much foot movement either, for now it remains to be seen whether Shaw can overcome this basic limitation.

Shubman Gill, though, looks something else, a few levels above, a few leagues further.
    Hawabaazi posts don't age well.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EliteCynical View Post
    Deodhar Trophy

INDA 293/6 (50.0 Ovs)
    INDC 296/4 (47.0 Ovs)
    India C won by 6 wkts

PLAYER OF THE MATCH
    Shubman Gill -106(111) 8x4 3x6

Was a sublime innings in a tricky chase on a tricky pitch. He made Kaul and Siraj look ordinary. It is unfortunate that the WC is only a few months away. I cannot wait to see him bat at 4 after the WC. He and Shaw should be groomed for 2023 right now.
    Kaul is ordinary anyway.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Watched the highlights. A high quality knock. If the jokers who pretend to be Indian selectors cannot see he’s ready for international cricket right away, they should be sacked.

We are stuck with TTFs like Rayudu and Pandey who we know will fail after sometime. Get Gill in at 4 for the Aus tour. A top 5 of Rohit, Dhawan, Kohli, Gill and Pant is far more assuring

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketindiafan View Post
    Watched the highlights. A high quality knock. If the jokers who pretend to be Indian selectors cannot see he’s ready for international cricket right away, they should be sacked.

We are stuck with TTFs like Rayudu and Pandey who we know will fail after sometime. Get Gill in at 4 for the Aus tour. A top 5 of Rohit, Dhawan, Kohli, Gill and Pant is far more assuring
    We also know bits and pieces players like Pandya will fail after sometime.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Kaul is ordinary anyway.
    Yeah he is. He also handled Ashwin, who was the pick of the bowlers, beautifully. My point was the India A attack was no push over by any means!

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suryakumar Yadav looks a more fitter and stronger version of Kedar Jadhav. Was easily dispatching fast bowlers to the stands.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    There is a player named Rohit Rayudu in India B( I think?).

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketindiafan View Post

TTF like Rayudu was the 2nd highest scorer after Kohli in yesterday's match. Atleast his lil contribution helped the team to tie the match. We would have bundled for 30 or 40 runs short if he had gone early. Pant looked good in Tests, but looked ordinary in LOIs so far. Let GILL play international Cricket first and we can judge him after that. Why hype him to the moon even before seeing his performance in international stage?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 25th October 2018 at 22:52.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    There is a player named Rohit Rayudu in India B( I think?).
    Ambati 's younger brother

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.bcci.tv/videos/id/6824/sh...ch-winning-106

Some incredible shots.Smashed kaul,kulkarni,siraj and ashwin.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Induct this guy in.

India is going through a batting revolution. A new golden age this is.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1542 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Lets not hype him. He is a long way from being anything.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Fortress Europe
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    It is not too early, but too senseless to groom an opening batsman to play in the middle order .