Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    822 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Needs work, Shaw looked more in sync but that was India, he can always work on his game.
    Shaw came up against Windies in much friendlier conditions. Gill had a tougher start but both of them have age on their side and should be India's future. Right now, he looks a bit loose in terms of driving away from his body and got rattled with the bouncer but this should be a great learning experience for him.

2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    546 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leatherface58 View Post
    Shaw came up against Windies in much friendlier conditions. Gill had a tougher start but both of them have age on their side and should be India's future. Right now, he looks a bit loose in terms of driving away from his body and got rattled with the bouncer but this should be a great learning experience for him.
    Yes, will tell us what Gill is made off!

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Gill I think is far from a finished product. Shaw actually batted well in AUS in the practise game. Gill's technique is weak outside off. He looks a prime LBW candidate with his shuffle before the ball is delivered. He also leaves a huge gap between bat and pad.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give him 2-3 matches more. but I think it's too late opportunity for him to claim worldcup spot.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    Gill I think is far from a finished product. Shaw actually batted well in AUS in the practise game. Gill's technique is weak outside off. He looks a prime LBW candidate with his shuffle before the ball is delivered. He also leaves a huge gap between bat and pad.
    Good thing is he has lot of time for his shots ,Gill has Rahul Dravid to work with,one thing is for sure he works hard on his game and doesn't hesitate to ask which is one of the most important thing when you look to improve, though he got bit rattled after the bouncer from boult but have seen him pull and hook with utter disdain ,this was primarily to give him feel if international cricket, hopefully he will come strong, but he looked assured during his stay at crease plus he is 19 so he has time on his side, regarding the gap between bat and pad, I have noticed that too, I am sure the coaches must have noticed that as well,so they will be looking to rectify that as well.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by introvert View Post
    Give him 2-3 matches more. but I think it's too late opportunity for him to claim worldcup spot.
    Which is good TBH as he will have time to improve his game, and work more with Dravid him and Shaw both,also it wasn't as if he was struggling against boult, so he can take heart from that and improve, nobody is perfect it's your hard work that takes you forward.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    7 runs on his ODI debut and the team being rolled over cheaply, losing by 8 wickets. Same was the case when Kohli made his ODI debut. There he scored a bit more (12 runs) but even in that ODI India were bowled out for 146 and lost by 8 wickets. Remarkable similarities in the two debuts.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Besides boult in swinging conditions in nz is a different commodity, so it is a learning curve for him as well.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with his technique.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    He'll be fine.

Just got caught up in a terrific spell of fast bowling by an elite pacer.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Fortress Europe
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is true. A lot of people have been pointing out this defect, even as early as during the U19 WC.

Gill needs to spend more time with Dravid to hone his technique, before he is sent off for the big games.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No he is a finished product. Everybody was missing the ball completely letting the ball hit the pad. This kid even when Boult was swinging crazy was able to atleast get reasonably behind the ball. If he is not a finished product, KKD is not a finished product, Rayudu is not a finished product, Jadhav is not a finished product.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Condition different, QUality of bowling different, When there is prodigious swing every goddamn Indian btasmen have had off days in New zealand against lesser bowlers like Darrelly Tuffeey, Oram. That includes Tendulkar, Dravid.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Mamoon thought Gill is already better than all the batsmen in Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    @Mamoon thought Gill is already better than all the batsmen in Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh
    If 1 game is all we go by then imad wasim is a better batsman than rohit sharma and babar azam.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jagatk View Post
    If 1 game is all we go by then imad wasim is a better batsman than rohit sharma and babar azam.
    So going by your logic, Gill can comeback with a hundred in the next 3-4 games and that would make him a better batsman than Babar automatically? Because he doesnt have to play all oppositions on their home turfs before we make a complete judgement on him?

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    Condition different, QUality of bowling different, When there is prodigious swing every goddamn Indian btasmen have had off days in New zealand against lesser bowlers like Darrelly Tuffeey, Oram. That includes Tendulkar, Dravid.
    Yes conditions were tough as the scoreline showed. But there are a few things you observe. I don't mind the way he got out. Rohit got out in the same way. Trying to drive a ball that nipped back in. My comments are based on his technique. He is strong on the on side and could be the reason why he's shuffling across. However, he doesn't have a solid technique outside off. Good bowlers have many options to get him out. Catches in the slip cordon, lbw, catch at short cover and bowled. He leaves all of these options open with a gap between bat and pad, shuffling across, hanging his bat away from the body for outside off and driving without his weight on the front foot for a fuller ball

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes conditions were tough as the scoreline showed. But there are a few things you observe. I don't mind the way he got out. Rohit got out in the same way. Trying to drive a ball that nipped back in. My comments are based on his technique. He is strong on the on side and could be the reason why he's shuffling across. However, he doesn't have a solid technique outside off. Good bowlers have many options to get him out. Catches in the slip cordon, lbw, catch at short cover and bowled. He leaves all of these options open with a gap between bat and pad, shuffling across, hanging his bat away from the body for outside off and driving without his weight on the front foot for a fuller ball
    People said the same about Pant and Shaw too.

Gill seems to had lots of time to play his shots. Looks super relaxed until he was hit on the head and he got ruffled.

This is not the pitch to decide whether he is ready or not. Gill will come good in the next ODI for sure.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How can you be so sure about his technique outside off, which by the way can be easily rectified, had he been that bad he would have been exposed earlier as he has also been with A team as well. Only weakness so far i have noticed is the gap between bat and pad which can be rectified as he consistenly asks Dravid about his stance technique.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    People said the same about Pant and Shaw too.

Gill seems to had lots of time to play his shots. Looks super relaxed until he was hit on the head and he got ruffled.

This is not the pitch to decide whether he is ready or not. Gill will come good in the next ODI for sure.
    Plus one thing people forget is this was a sluggish pitch early on, ball was holding up .

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    His cover drives are carbon copies of Kohli. He is one of the strongest off side player as well. I saw all the under 19 matches. Also caught a few first class, List A matches he is one of the most complete player i have seen at this age. That includes Kohli.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
    How can you be so sure about his technique outside off, which by the way can be easily rectified, had he been that bad he would have been exposed earlier as he has also been with A team as well. Only weakness so far i have noticed is the gap between bat and pad which can be rectified as he consistenly asks Dravid about his stance technique.
    The gap between bat and pad will challenge him on both sides of the edge.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looked clueless last night, like a rabbit in headlights but was up against a near unplayable Boult so will wait to see him again before judging his potential. However the hype seems over the top.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not comparing, but Sachin got his first ODI runs in his third match #JustSaying.

Moral of the story - low score in first match doesn't necessarily mean you are not good enough.

Win or lose - it is Team INDIA I choose...

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Looked clueless last night, like a rabbit in headlights but was up against a near unplayable Boult so will wait to see him again before judging his potential. However the hype seems over the top.
    You watched a very different match then.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    Central Valley Area, CA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seemed to be middling it and made some good shots, up until he got hit in the head. Probably rattled him a little, but in no way did he look like a "rabbit in headlights", even when he edged the deliveries.

It's even harder to judge a 19 year on his first ODI game, when rest of the senior crew is dropping like flies.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You watched a very different match then.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSensible View Post
    Seemed to be middling it and made some good shots, up until he got hit in the head. Probably rattled him a little, but in no way did he look like a "rabbit in headlights", even when he edged the deliveries.

It's even harder to judge a 19 year on his first ODI game, when rest of the senior crew is dropping like flies.
    There were a good few inside edges too. Sure he got unstuck after being hit on the head, a ball which he should have ducked easily or swayed out of the way. I think it was the 10th over when Boult hit him and from then on looked out of place. But yes let's I said lets see how he does, no need for Indian fans to be offended everytime anyonne discusses one of their players in any negative ways.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He looked good to me with his shots. Problem I noticed was playing too hard and not going for defense.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    He looked good to me with his shots. Problem I noticed was playing too hard and not going for defense.
    He has shown great maturity in all the formats he played so far. It is only a matter of time. KL Rahul for all his flashy stroke didn't exactly know how to protect his wicket at any level.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    Central Valley Area, CA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were a good few inside edges too. Sure he got unstuck after being hit on the head, a ball which he should have ducked easily or swayed out of the way. I think it was the 10th over when Boult hit him and from then on looked out of place. But yes let's I said lets see how he does, no need for Indian fans to be offended everytime anyonne discusses one of their players in any negative ways.
    I don't know if you're projecting, but I am pretty sure, nothing I said suggests I'm "offended." I'm personally a fan of any good player.

I simply pointed out that your "deer in headlights" isn't warranted. Your opinion is your opinion, but forums are for sharing disagreements. If someone replies in disagreement, they aren't necessarily "offended."

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Missed out, will somehow find a clip and watch his inning. However, it is okay even if say, he needs time.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    World cup is too early.But he deserves more opportunities.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He will be a regular after the WC. Will be better to judge him after that.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The gap between bat and pad will challenge him on both sides of the edge.
    The gap between bat and pad has a lot higher chance of beating the inside edge rather than outside edge also these are not conditions to judge a 19 year old playing in his debut match, also you are forgetting the most important thing, he is coming from India, and not use to these conditions, the adjustments are made when you spend time on crease then you start to judge the length better.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Besides he is one of the good puller and hooker of the ball, probably was nervous then.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
    The gap between bat and pad has a lot higher chance of beating the inside edge rather than outside edge also these are not conditions to judge a 19 year old playing in his debut match, also you are forgetting the most important thing, he is coming from India, and not use to these conditions, the adjustments are made when you spend time on crease then you start to judge the length better.
    Just hanging the bat away from the body is a recipe for nicking it off behind. I agree with the rest of your points. He's still young and can improve.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just hanging the bat away from the body is a recipe for nicking it off behind. I agree with the rest of your points. He's still young and can improve.
    That is because he iis bought up on Indian pitches, the thing is when u spend time on crease or as you start to play more all these deficiencies can be rectified.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Indian cricket is lightyears ahead of Pakistan at the moment, and the competition is more intense than anywhere in the world, especially when it comes to batsmen. A young Indian batsman has to be bloody good to make it to the Indian team and to enjoy the hype and adulation that he has.

From here onwards, it is all about having passion for the game which he most probably has. Sky is the limit for someone like him and Shaw, and I fully expect them to leave every contemporary batsman in Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh in their dust.

Unfortunately, Pakistanis do not understand batting, especially people of this generation. They don't know what an elite batsman is like. I fully expect them to be on Gill and Shaw's back after every failure.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Indian cricket is lightyears ahead of Pakistan at the moment, and the competition is more intense than anywhere in the world, especially when it comes to batsmen. A young Indian batsman has to be bloody good to make it to the Indian team and to enjoy the hype and adulation that he has.

From here onwards, it is all about having passion for the game which he most probably has. Sky is the limit for someone like him and Shaw, and I fully expect them to leave every contemporary batsman in Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh in their dust.

Unfortunately, Pakistanis do not understand batting, especially people of this generation. They don't know what an elite batsman is like. I fully expect them to be on Gill and Shaw's back after every failure.
    No, you are now changing your initial statement. You disregarded the struggle of a Pakistani batsman like Babar Azam who has scored runs throughout the world, played a handful of T20i at home (Pakistan) under extreme security circumstances, and you went on to say that Gill is already better than all Batsmen for South Asia. Its a pretty insulting analysis. What you say now makes sense, but the blatant disregard initially was nonsensical.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "It won't be surprising if Gill is already a better batsman than anyone in Pakistan, Sri Lanka or Bangladesh at the moment. He seems to be a finished product already."
    @Mamoon

This is before he has played a single ODI, T20i and Test match.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "It won't be surprising if Gill is already a better batsman than anyone in Pakistan, Sri Lanka or Bangladesh at the moment. He seems to be a finished product already."
    @Mamoon

This has to be the single most epic line in PakPassion history!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Mamoon

You will learn that fact soon If you go by scorecard in that line you could say Chaal >> Rohit sharma with bat. Ball was sticking on the surface that is why both Rohit and Gill got out despite they played with middle of the bat.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You will learn that fact soon If you go by scorecard in that line you could say Chaal >> Rohit sharma with bat. Ball was sticking on the surface that is why both Rohit and Gill got out despite they played with middle of the bat.
    Yeah we're eager to 'learn'. However when we hype up Babar who actually has the numbers to show, you guys and some resident ''Pakistanis'' jump up and make excuses.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandarchowka View Post
    Yeah we're eager to 'learn'. However when we hype up Babar who actually has the numbers to show, you guys and some resident ''Pakistanis'' jump up and make excuses.
    Because most indians don't go about claiming gill is better than any current international batsman just that he has potential to be, unlike you lot who think babar azam is better than the batsman who is in GOAT conversation for most fans.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Because most indians don't go about claiming gill is better than any current international batsman just that he has potential to be, unlike you lot who think babar azam is better than the batsman who is in GOAT conversation for most fans.
    @Mamoon

@jagatk look at your beloved Mamoon claiming Gill is a better batsman than Babar already

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He may be good or may be bad we will find that in upcoming years but one thing is pretty sure he won't be better than virat who is 2nd best odi batsman of all time already after viv richards.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jagatk look at your beloved Mamoon claiming Gill is a better batsman than Babar already
    I specifically said Indians, mamoon is a pakistani.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I specifically said Indians, mamoon is a pakistani.
    There are many Indians as well who think Gill is already better than Babar... delusion at its best

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many Indians as well who think Gill is already better than Babar... delusion at its best
    If they think that, i would agree with you, but please do quote who thinks that, otherwise it is you who are deluding yourself.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and who are those "Indians"?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Indians have several world class batsmen they can compare their young guys to. Why are they going to compare with players from other countries. Even Kohli only compared Gill with himself not Babar.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1883 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I hope Gill does not start believing in his own hype. Kohli didn't become Kohli just on the back of his talent, there are hours and hours of blood, sweat and toil behind what the man is today.

Gill could go the Kohli route, or the KL Rahul route. It's upto him.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    I hope Gill does not start believing in his own hype. Kohli didn't become Kohli just on the back of his talent, there are hours and hours of blood, sweat and toil behind what the man is today.

one of the reason they hype him is also because of his work ethic. How many balls he hits every day that kind of thing. Yes you are right. People can get caught up in glitz and glamour and lose their way. We sure cannot predict their attitude towards their career. As far as technique goes he is very close to a finished product for his age. There are many players making debut with much more weaknesses and do well. Besides Gill just has to be better than Rayudu. It is not really a secret that he is already better than Rayudu or Karthik.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post

I never understand why KL Rahul is mentioned everywhere. He never impressed me or never looked solid at crease. I've not seen Gill's batting but will watch next match to see what the hype is about.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pant, Prithvi shaw already made their mark in the international. Pant was labelled as "legside hack" He remarkably transformed himself and scored 2 overseas centuries in his first season where Dhoni could not score a 100 all his career. Many in India rate Gill above Shaw and Pant. Yes it could be a slow start. But eventually he will get there.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kohli was badly out of touch in 2014. K L Rahul is passing through the same phase.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    @Rana

I don't have the energy to explain the nitty gritty, but allow me to sum up my feelings in a few lines:

Give Gill 20 games against the same opposition in the same conditions, and he will outperform all Asian batsmen barring his contemporary Indian players like Kohli, Rohit, Dhawan etc.

Happy to be wrong of course, but he is a sensational player. If he does not go onto to score 10k+ runs in Tests and ODIs, it will a downright tragedy for Indian cricket.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    546 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I never understand why KL Rahul is mentioned everywhere. He never impressed me or never looked solid at crease. I've not seen Gill's batting but will watch next match to see what the hype is about.
    After seeing how England is doing in West Indies, Rahul was bossing around in West Indies, even compared to other batsmen,that's why he was hyped.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rahul was hyped because he was clearly the best batsman out of India after Kohli that could perform in all three formats. Rohit and Dhawan are mugs in tests. Test hundreds abroad, T20 hundreds with a good technique made everyone salivate at the prospect of a Fab 4 instead of Fab3. He could attack and defend and last IPL season was a block buster for him. Kohli was even ready to move to No.4 to accommodate him at 3. He had all the shots and could hit them better than Dhawan. If he clicked, it would have been a batting lineup rivalling England's.

However, it didnt work out that way because of a huge chink in his technique. He cant handle incoming deliveries. He kept getting bowled or LBW and this inturn led him to start nicking to slips or keeper. He was trying to play the balls he was supposed to leave . Right now, he is low on confidence. Maybe he knows it's a flaw he cant rectify or maybe because he knows he's not in the reckoning for ODIs anymore. Either way, its a wasted chance for India in ODIs especially when you consider the current replacements are Rayudu and DK.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    After seeing how England is doing in West Indies, Rahul was bossing around in West Indies, even compared to other batsmen,that's why he was hyped.
    We also saw his performance against the same WI at home and against England and Australia

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    546 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We also saw his performance against the same WI at home and against England and Australia
    Yes ,you asked why he was hyped..you are quoting why he failed to live up to hype.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rahul didn't get a consistent run when he was in red hot form. Then when they finally decided to give him a run, he had already lost it.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    Central Valley Area, CA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNAmarkFromIndia View Post
    Rahul didn't get a consistent run when he was in red hot form. Then when they finally decided to give him a run, he had already lost it.
    It's not that he's not in form, like some players go through slumps. It's that he's technically not apt. I personally don't know about why, but that seems to be the word here.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like what I see of Gill, he looks like a Kholi carbon copy at the crease. The straight drive for FOUR was pleasing on the eye. He seems to like playing away from his body, needs to tighten up his technique but an exciting talent for India..

"You want Philly, Philly ? " Nicholas Edward Foles

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pretty weak technique... undecooked

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still early days for him. His dismissal may be nerves. He is far better batsman than what his dismissal showed.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    @Rana

I don't have the energy to explain the nitty gritty, but allow me to sum up my feelings in a few lines:

Give Gill 20 games against the same opposition in the same conditions, and he will outperform all Asian batsmen barring his contemporary Indian players like Kohli, Rohit, Dhawan etc.

Happy to be wrong of course, but he is a sensational player. If he does not go onto to score 10k+ runs in Tests and ODIs, it will a downright tragedy for Indian cricket.
    It’s too early to predict he will score 10k. Keep in mind, that there are heaps of good young batting talents in India. He is in competition with them, and so far they have done more in international cricket.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    He'll be great in a few years, should be blooded into the team after the WC.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Don't agree with Gill being dropped after only given 2 matches.

Wrong move. Should have been given another series to cement his place.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentSpotterPk View Post

Indian selection works this way. He was given 2 matches. He failed.

But he will not be forgotten. He will play for India A/B/etc continuously.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentSpotterPk View Post

He will get his time in the sun after world cup.I'm sad but have to accept it.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's still a work in progress! Would take Vijay Shankar over him any day for the WC19!

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    After the WC, I see Kohi dropping to no.4. Dhawan/Rahul/Shah will compete for 1 and 3 positions.
    Gill/Shankar/Iyer for No.5. Pant will seamlessly slot into No.6.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After the WC, I see Kohi dropping to no.4. Dhawan/Rahul/Shah will compete for 1 and 3 positions.
    Gill/Shankar/Iyer for No.5. Pant will seamlessly slot into No.6.
    Pant will bat higher in future.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pant/Shaw appear to be mentally stronger. Talentwise Gill is ahead of everyone.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    Pant will bat higher in future.
    Gill or Shankar is not a lower order bat. Iyer too. Pant doesn't have a place in top 5

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the WC,

Shikhar(as long as he doesn't loses form)
    Rohit
    Kohli
    Gill
    Pant(wkt)
    ______
    Pandya
    Shami
    Kuldeep
    Chahal
    Bumrah

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Batting prodigy Shubman Gill has opened up on how Rahul Dravid has taught him the value of patience which in turn has helped him become more consistent and score hundreds.

Dravid has been tasked with coaching the next crop of India cricketers through his roles with various youth teams. He was the coach when India won their fourth ICC U-19 World Cup title in New Zealand where Gill was adjudged as player of the tournament.

Since then, Gill has scored runs for his Ranji team Punjab, India A and in 2019, went on to make his senior team debut as well.

Gill, 19, said the India batting legend is always open to have discussions and it was Dravid who told him to use aerial shots judiciously.

“My association with Rahul Dravid began more than two years ago,” Gill told The Indian Express. “As a youngster, I would always watch his batting on television and discuss the same with my father too. As a coach, he understands my game well. The good thing is, if you want to discuss something with him, he is always available.”

He continued, “Since my childhood days, I have practiced aerial shots and I like playing those. In 2017, when we were playing ODIs against England Under-18 in Mumbai, I got out cheaply in the first two matches after playing aerial shots. I made 35 and 37. Rahul sir told me to use the aerial shots judiciously and to hit them only once I am well set. I followed his advice and made 138 and 160 in the next two matches.”

He said Dravid, who scored 24,208 runs during his international career, never speaks of his achievements. “What I have learnt from him is how to be patient and calm. At times he gives inputs with regards to batting if he sees something. But at the same time, during tours I constantly talk to him. He never speaks about his knocks or his feats,” he said.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...an-gill-803901

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Shubman Gill hit his 2nd successive fifty in the 2019 Indian Premier League as Kolkata Knight Riders defeated Kings XI Punjab by 7 wickets in Mohali on Friday. Chasing 184, Gill led the charge for KKR but Chris Lynn (46) and Andre Russell (24) also made crucial contributions.

Kolkata Knight Riders now have 12 points from 13 matches and have a very real chance of making it to the playoffs if they beat Mumbai Indians in the last league match of the 2019 Indian Premier League. KKR had won 4 out of their first 5 matches this season before losing 6 in a row.

KKR snapped their losing streak with a 34-run victory over Mumbai Indians and then beat KXIP in Mohali to register back-to-back wins.

Chris Lynn, who had set the tone for KKR's 232 with a 29-ball 54 against MI, once again led the charge for his team with a 22-ball 46 against Kings XI Punjab Friday night. His knock was studded with 5 fours and 3 sixes and KKR had raced away to 62 for no loss in 5.5 overs before Andrew Tye removed Lynn off the last ball of the powerplay.

KKR did not look like a happy unit on the field but their batsmen were in a fiery mood. After Chris Lynn's exit, while Shubman Gill took his time, Robin Uthappa walked out and smashed a 14-ball 22. Andre Russell, the most aggressive batsman in the 2019 Indian Premier League, hit 2 sixes and 2 fours in a 14-ball 24.

Russell's blitz was ended by Mohammed Shami but by the time Dinesh Karthik joined Shubman Gill in the middle, KKR were on the cusp of victory.

Shubman Gill, many felt, was batting too low down the order. But he has impressed more often than not whenever he got the chance to open alongside Chris Lynn. After his classy 76 against a Mumbai Indians attack which included Lasith Malinga and Jasprit Bumrah, Gill turned his attention to KXIP's star-studded bowling line-up.

Shubman Gill smashed 2 sixes and a 4 off KXIP captain and star India spinner R Ashwin to show his quality. Even as Chris Lynn, Robin Uthappa and Andre Russell departed, Gill kept his calm and took Kolkata Knight Riders to a memorable home.

Earlier in the evening, Kolkata Knight Riders captain Dinesh Karthik won the toss and asked Kings XI Punjab to bat in Mohali. Sandeep Warrier struck in successive overs to remove the dangerous KL Rahul (2) and Chris Gayle (14). With the KXIP openers back in the dug-out before the powerplay, KKR hoped to put further pressure on the hosts.

However, Nicholas Pooran led the fightback for Kings XI Punjab and KKR's bowlers were suddenly looking listless. Experienced leg-spinner Piyush Chawla went for 14 in his first over and Dinesh Karthik had clearly had enough. He gathered his players around in the first timeout and reprimanded them in full public view as coach Jacques Kallis looked on.

Dinesh Karthik's dressing-down seemed to have made the players a little gloomy. Andre Russell, Sunil Narine and Robin Uthappa looked far from happy as did the rest of the KKR camp as Pooran kept attacking their bowlers. He eventually fell to the part-time off spin of Nitish Rana while the dangerous looking Mayank Agarwal was run out thanks to a strong throw from Rinku Singh in the deep.

Just when it looked like KKR could restrict KXIP to a smaller total, Sam Curran walked out and smashed his maiden Indian Premier League fifty.

Sam Curran had picked a hat-trick against Delhi Capitals to win KXIP a thriller and against KKR in their penultimate match of the season, he showed why he is such a dangerous all-rounder.

Sam Curran hit 7 fours and 2 sixes to finish unbeaten on 55 off 24 balls as Kings XI Punjab reached 183 for 6 off 20 overs.

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/sto...676-2019-05-03

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)