Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1971 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

Sandeep Lamichhane - Nepal's 'Shane Warne'

Nepal leg-spinner Sandeep Lamichhane says his breakthrough Indian Premier League deal will give him the chance to play alongside the cricketing elite and promote the sport back at home.

Lamichhane, 17, became an overnight hero after becoming Nepal's first cricketer to enter the lucrative IPL, with Delhi Daredevils picking him in a mega auction Sunday.

His name was splashed across front pages of national newspapers and thousands took to social media to express their excitement. Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba tweeted, "Not just me, but the entire nation is proud of you."

Lamichhane, who has been likened to spin legend Shane Warne, made the meteoric rise to the IPL just two years after being selected for Nepal's national team.

"If you get the chance to play in the IPL, lots of players will be there who are very experienced and I think I will learn a lot," Lamichhane, the son of a railway worker, told AFP in Dubai.

Lamichhane's Delhi teammates will include Australian all-rounder Glenn Maxwell and pacemen Trent Boult (New Zealand) and Kagiso Rabada (South Africa), among others.

The teenager is expected to make Nepal more of a force in international cricket. They are the only South Asian nation not to have Test, one-day or T20 status, barring the isolated kingdom of Bhutan.

Lamichhane credits Nepal's senior players with popularising the sport among young people in a football-mad country.

"The senior guys have done something for the new guys who are coming right now into the teams, and their contributions have made our country a cricket-crazy nation," he said.

Lamichhane's talent was first noticed by former Nepal national cricket coach Pubudu Dassanayake, who spotted him at a training camp in 2015.

The spin-bowling sensation then attracted the attention of Australian great Michael Clarke, when he played alongside the former captain in a Hong Kong Twenty20 Blitz tournament in 2016.

Clarke invited Lamichhane to train at his cricket academy in Sydney, an experience the teenager described as unforgettable.

"Playing with a player like Michael Clarke is such as a big thing. It was amazing and sharing a dressing room with him and getting experience from him, it was something like a dream come true," he said.

'New Heights'

Lamichhane is currently in Dubai training with Nepal's national team ahead of the World Cricket League Division Two tournament in Namibia next month.

Nepal must finish in the top two to take part in the World Cup qualifiers in Zimbabwe in March. It has never qualified for the World Cup.

The sport's development has been hampered by the country's turbulent recent history, including a 1996-2006 civil war, and endemic corruption. The Cricket Association of Nepal (CAN) was struck off by the sport's global governing body in 2016 for political interference.

Lamichhane's base price contract of $31,499 may be small fry in the cash-rich IPL, which shelled out a total of $70 million for 169 players during the two-day auction.
    But back home, many hope his success will revive the country's scandal-tainted domestic cricket.

The controversy had hampered Nepali cricket and young talented players were losing out, said CAN's Chumbi Lama.

"(Lamichhane) is a young talented cricketer and an impressive leg spinner," Lama said. If he gets good guidance his future is very bright. He will lead Nepali cricket to new heights."

http://www.news18.com/cricketnext/ne...e-1646617.html

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, He hasn't performed that well since U19 World Cup.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am sure $31k is a boat load of money in Nepal currency. Good for the lad. Hope he succeeds like Rashid Khan.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    A Prime Minister tweeting about a player's selection in the league. A new high for IPL!

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt he would even get a game.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see even Nepal Prime Minister appreciating the IPL selection of this young player, goes to show the appeal and popularity of IPL eventhough it is supposed to be a domestic Indian league.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    I am sure $31k is a boat load of money in Nepal currency. Good for the lad. Hope he succeeds like Rashid Khan.
    Almost same as India , cost of living is ~25-30% lower there , but still good money .

I hope we can see more such cases of players from associate countries , not just in IPL also Bigbash , PSL or CPL . if the game has to grow in these countries , we need success stories and money can play a big part in that .

" you don't play for the crowd, you play for your country " - MSD

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    india
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ₹ to nepali rupee exchange rate is 1.6
    32 lakh nepali rupee is good amount but not life changing.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully he does well in the IPL. One of the few great things about IPL is giving such young players exposures to the biggest characters in the cricketing world. Best wishes to him.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Nepal Spinner Sandeep Lamichhane to Represent Melbourne Stars in Big Bash League

Nepal leg-spinner Sandeep Lamichhane will have his dream come true this summer when he plays in the KFC Big Bash League with the Melbourne Stars.

Lamichhane was one of two international players announced by the Stars on Tuesday, with England leggie Matt Parkinson also set to feature during BBL|08.

But it's Lamichhane who is sure to gain the most attention, with the 18-year-old having already struck up a relationship with former Australia captain Michael Clarke and impressed during a stint in the Indian Premier League.

Lamichhane played with Clarke in Hong Kong in 2016, before joining his mentor in Sydney Premier Cricket later that year.

The teenager boldly declared his dream was 'to play Big Bash' and that will come to fruition this summer when he turns out for the Stars.

"I am delighted to be joining the Stars, it has always been a dream to play on the MCG. I am very excited to join the team," Lamichhane said.

Lamichhane has already impressed in various T20 competitions around the world, having featured in the IPL for the Delhi Daredevils earlier this year and during stints in the Caribbean Premier League, Global T20 Canada and the Bangladesh Premier League.

Melbourne Stars list manager Trent Woodhill first saw Lamichhane bowl while playing for Nepal in the Asian U19 Championships and kept a close eye on him while he played alongside Stars teammate Glenn Maxwell in the IPL.

"Lamichhane had a successful IPL debut for Delhi and bowled well in the CPL," Woodhill said.

"We have high expectations that he will light up the BBL and become a star of the tournament."

Lamichhane will be with the Stars from the start of the Big Bash tournament, but is likely to miss much of January due to commitments with the Sylhet Sixers in the BPL.

Parkinson will fill in for Lamichhane while the Nepalese youngster is away, but it is likely he will return in time for the final three games of the regular season and any finals matches.

Parkinson is a promising leg-spinner with English county side Lancashire, and earlier this year he featured for the England Lions against West Indies A and India A.

Another international player is likely to be signed by the Stars prior to the start of BBL|08.

Current squad: Michael Beer, Scott Boland, Jackson Coleman, Travis Dean, Ben Dunk, Seb Gotch, Sandeep Lamichhane (NEP), Nic Maddinson, Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Daniel Worrall, Adam Zampa, Matt Parkinson (ENG, international replacement)

In: Travis Dean (Renegades replacement), Sandeep Lamichhane (Nepal), Nic Maddinson (Sixers).

Out: James Faulkner (Hurricanes), John Hastings (Sixers), Kevin Pietersen (retired), Rob Quiney (retired), Luke Wright.

Roster spots to fill: six
    Internationals signed: one

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/melb...son/2018-10-23

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great player.
    all the best Nepal cricket recently they beat UAE in both ODI and T20s

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is a great news.

Nepalese are among the most resilient communities out there. They do not get a lot of mention because they are a small nation but their people are as hardcore as it gets.

I am friends with many Nepalese, mostly women and i can tell you a Nepali will never quit.

Having said that Indians are still far from giving respect to Nepalese and see them as night watchmen and momo sellers only. Proud that i am not one of these narrow minded Delhiites.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it true that this guy would be playing for Lahore Qalandars?

I saw an LQ report where the guy was pronouncing his name as Lammi-chanay! That surely can't be correct, right?

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Rawalakot, Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post

I saw an LQ report where the guy was pronouncing his name as Lammi-chanay! That surely can't be correct, right?
    Yes he is in lahore qalandar's squad

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post

What can't be correct? Someone's pronunciation of his own name?

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaankeJi View Post
    What can't be correct? Someone's pronunciation of his own name?

Why in the world would anyone question the very person on the pronunciation of their own name?

The guy I was referring to was a TV reporter!

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    It is a great news.

Nepalese are among the most resilient communities out there. They do not get a lot of mention because they are a small nation but their people are as hardcore as it gets.

I am friends with many Nepalese, mostly women and i can tell you a Nepali will never quit.

Having said that Indians are still far from giving respect to Nepalese and see them as night watchmen and momo sellers only. Proud that i am not one of these narrow minded Delhiites.
    Thank you for the generalization. For your immeasurable contributions to human society you have been nominated for a Nobel peace prize. You are competing with my paanwala who recently said to me "Bhaiyya change nahi hai toh Cigarette ke paise baad main de dena".

Narcissism - Narcissism is the pursuit of gratification from vanity or egotistic admiration of one's idealised self image and attributes.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fantastic spell today. Did his best to keep LQ in the game

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful talent , he is at par with Rashid Khan, a real star in making .

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is leagues ahead of Shadab Khan as a leg spinner currently, hands down..

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hes a great talent and looks a genuine 18 year old so has many more years to go before he reaches his peak.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1971 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    First Quality cricketers, 3rd world problems

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    First Quality cricketers, 3rd world problems

Excuse me for my ignorance but why does he need a US visa?

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tintin_FTW View Post
    Excuse me for my ignorance but why does he need a US visa?
    It's very strange that he needs a US visa, considering no CPL games will take place in the US:

None of this year’s Caribbean Premier League games will be held in the United States, due to a poor turn-out of spectators. - https://www.windiescricket.com/news/...ional-players/

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)