Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your misconceptions about cricket

I was talking to a friend the other day and he said he hadn't realized that after an over is well, over, its the fielding side that changes sides and not the batsmen.

I could get where he was coming from as in my first couple of years of watching cricket (not in a stadium but on TV) and it mostly being ODIS, the part where the fielders changed ends was cut off due to commercials and when play resumed I thought the batsmen had changed ends as it sounded much more practical that one person went to the other side rather than the keeper, slips etc.

I also had another friend who would always get confused regarding a bowlers SR and Average and wouldn't be sure which meant wicket per runs and wicket per balls.

So what other misconceptions about rules, terms or cricket in general have you had about this complicated game.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    NB, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I still don't understand how weather, clouds in particular, can affect the cricket ball

Babar Azam: Runs 8032, Average 44, Top Score: 204, Fav fan: CricFan2012

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swing bowling. I didn't understand the science behind swing bowling initially. Coaches often just tell you how it's done and not why it happens. I believed it was just about the technique. I learned the science behind it later at higher levels. And the exact laws of physics behind it much later

As a kid I had many misconceptions. The spring theory being one of them.
    When I was a little kid, someone told me that there are springs in the bats of pro players, which is why they hit boundaries and sixes easily . And I believed him lol

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Q View Post
    Swing bowling. I didn't understand the science behind swing bowling initially. Coaches often just tell you how it's done and not why it happens. I believed it was just about the technique. I learned the science behind it later at higher levels. And the exact laws of physics behind it much later

When I was a little kid, someone told me that there are springs in the bats of pro players, which is why they hit boundaries and sixes easily . And I believed him lol
    you were not the only one. it dates back to 80s. we all believed it at one time and i asked for it when i bought my first leather bat some time in 80s . you can imagine the surprise on that shop owner face

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to think that boundaries were much bigger in international games than they actually were. Later on when I realized that they were 65-70 meters , I was disappointed.

Also, when a batsman would get caught in slips, I would think he was trying to cut. Later on I realized that it is bowler who is swinging the ball taking bat's edge.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubol123 View Post
    you were not the only one. it dates back to 80s. we all believed it at one time and i asked for it when i bought my first leather bat some time in 80s . you can imagine the surprise on that shop owner face
    Leather bats never had springs. Only the wooden ones did.

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was told when jaysurya scored the fastest odi century against Pak he had springs in his bat and was later exposed they (I don't know who) broke his bat to discover springs.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashmirilion View Post
    I was told when jaysurya scored the fastest odi century against Pak he had springs in his bat and was later exposed they (I don't know who) broke his bat to discover springs.
    Hahaha yes.
    They told me this one as well.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The springs thing when I was a kid came from the cricket bat handles, the lines between pieces of the handle = springs

i.e. that's three springs.

With kids being kids, it probably went on a chinese whispers style journey to people hiding actual coil springs inside their bat.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashmirilion View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    The springs thing when I was a kid came from the cricket bat handles, the lines between pieces of the handle = springs

i.e. that's three springs.

With kids being kids, it probably went on a chinese whispers style journey to people hiding actual coil springs inside their bat.
    Well, we can't be blamed. It's just that our thinking was a bit ahead of our times. If spring mattresses are possible, spring bats should be possible too. Let's wait till the less intelligent ones figure out how to do it lol

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1096 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Dunno if this counts, but when I was small, I thought that Imran Farhat and Yasir Hameed were the best openers in the world.

This was a rather large misconception.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    omg i have also heard about the spring story
    @Abdullah719 same thing. I once saw Imran Farhat bat in ICL, and taught how great it would be if he was playing for Pakistan.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadBall View Post
    I was talking to a friend the other day and he said he hadn't realized that after an over is well, over, its the fielding side that changes sides and not the batsmen.

I could get where he was coming from as in my first couple of years of watching cricket (not in a stadium but on TV) and it mostly being ODIS, the part where the fielders changed ends was cut off due to commercials and when play resumed I thought the batsmen had changed ends as it sounded much more practical that one person went to the other side rather than the keeper, slips etc.

I also had another friend who would always get confused regarding a bowlers SR and Average and wouldn't be sure which meant wicket per runs and wicket per balls.

So what other misconceptions about rules, terms or cricket in general have you had about this complicated game.
    Your friend and yourself have never played a game of cricket for school or for a club?

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was young I thought cricket was the type of sport old people play, like golf.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Your friend and yourself have never played a game of cricket for school or for a club?
    For a school or club, no. As it was in Dubai and most of my friends and family were Arab so our main focus was football. We did play cricket in our garden though but that was just about putting bat to ball. I still remember how we used to choose the batting order, we used to write 1,2,3,4 etc but in random order followed by a line in the sand and then cover it with the bat and everyone chose a line. Another way was we used to get a person and form numbers behind his back (1,2,3 etc but again randomly) and he used to say out a name aloud and that was the position the person was assigned with.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    East Coast, US.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a kid, I thought Aamir Sohail was a better batsman than Saeed Anwar. Watching little bits in '92 he just looked so much better at the crease.

The misconception was cleared up when I started to see more Saeed Anwar and then the final nail in that shut coffin came in '96 Bangalore.

Since then I wish he wasn't so angry and mad because he could contribute something to the game aside from ensuring every syllable out of his mouth on cricket has the requisite amount of resentment.

My other misconception was that as a kid cricket was fantastic when it rushed by with chowkay chakke everywhere, it was cleared up by growing older and watching Test cricket.

Turns out that's the average cricket viewer agrees with kid me, as we bask in the first flickers of T10's dawn and slow dying years of Test Cricket.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a ball is wide and over shoulder height (bouncer); is this classified as a no ball or wide?

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King-Misbah View Post
    If a ball is wide and over shoulder height (bouncer); is this classified as a no ball or wide?
    Passes over the batsman's head or above shoulder and how wide?

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    Passes over the batsman's head or above shoulder and how wide?
    No ball takes precedence I believe.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When I was 8 or 9 - I was visiting Pakistan and my cousin told my eating roti nan all the time makes you time the ball better and get more power in your shots lol

Needless to say I adjusted my diet that very moment for the rest of that trip haha

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I also never realized that many batsman take a few steps out of their crease when they are at the non-strikers end and the bowler is about to bowl - despite the risk of getting mankaded or run out if the batsman hits a straight drive and it hits the opposing wicket after touching the fielder. It is apparently done so that get a few steps advantage whilst taking quick singles.

I always thought the non -striker got runout because they were too lazy to put their bats down in time LOL

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Dunno if this counts, but when I was small, I thought that Imran Farhat and Yasir Hameed were the best openers in the world.

This was a rather large misconception.
    To be fair both had a remarkable start to their career and that series against Bangladesh inflated their stats and our expectations haha

Things came back to reality after the friendship series against India. Whilst Hameed still did reasonably well - Farhat was all over the place and never the same since. Hameed's decline began when he got exposed during England's tour of 2005 and was caught fishing outside off stump too often. It was also his misfortune that he was part of the squad during our 2010 tour to England - suspicions were raised against him and it is no surprise that Hameed, Butt, Kamran Akmal, Umar Amin, Kaneria, Faisal Iqbal and Zulqarnain Haider have all never played a Test match ever since.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a misconception during school that the speed of medium pace bowlers would be like the ones we saw in school cricket. Later, one of my friend told me of his friend in Indore who they all thought was a very talented batsman since he was smashing every bowler in local cricket. That guy was sent to Achrekar cricket academy and made to face Agarkar I guess. He just couldn't sight the first 3-4 balls he faced.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this misconception that left arm leg spinners (chinaman bowlers) were banned in cricket. No one told me anything though, I just assumed as I never saw one in any competitive cricket...

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1) boundaries in intl. cricket were a lot bigger. Reality was different.

2) swinging and seaming the ball is no big deal. Whenever i heard commenators praising someone for swinging the ball i thought whats the big deal in it? It was because during those day literally every team had bowlers who could swing the ball so i thought its easy.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricFan2012 View Post
    I still don't understand how weather, clouds in particular, can affect the cricket ball
    well if you are talking about how a cricket ball swings more under clouds then i think it's due to the change in air pressure because unlike reverse swing, conventional swing is made possible by disturbance in air

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    1) boundaries in intl. cricket were a lot bigger. Reality was different.
    That one is same as mine.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misconceptions:
    1. Swing and seam were interchangeable terms
    2. Boundary was sooooooooo big
    3. Given that I watched players regularly bowl 140+ on TV, thought that 120k was hardly anything - until I faced that in the nets
    4. I had a ridiculously exaggerated back and across movement when I was 9-10, because I was trying to copy Dravid (pretty funny when I remember it now)
    5. Sehwag was better than Sachin

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I used to think the international pitches were so long that me and my friends wouldn't be able to get the ball to the other end. Now I had seen pitches before but I thought these are local pitches, international one are a lot longer.

I have also heard that spring story. Tendulkar used a coil spring and Ponting used a rubber core in his bat

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Till the age of 15, and I'm still embarrassed at the memory, I thought a slow ball should be bowled by slowing the bowler's arm speed.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryin Out Loud View Post
    Till the age of 15, and I'm still embarrassed at the memory, I thought a slow ball should be bowled by slowing the bowler's arm speed.
    Some bowlers do vary their arm speed to bowl slower ball.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by karthikc View Post
    I had a misconception during school that the speed of medium pace bowlers would be like the ones we saw in school cricket. Later, one of my friend told me of his friend in Indore who they all thought was a very talented batsman since he was smashing every bowler in local cricket. That guy was sent to Achrekar cricket academy and made to face Agarkar I guess. He just couldn't sight the first 3-4 balls he faced.
    Had same misconception about real pace. When I first got chance to bat against a 130kph Ranji reject I was pretty sure I could at least defend on matted concrete pitch. And I made mistake of telling him that. I regret that to this very day. Very painful.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never noticed that both sides of the pitch are used for bowling. I thought it was only one designated bowling end. Hence, I never understood what the phrase "a change of ends" meant for a bowler.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I genuinely believed that no one match fixed and the conspiracy theories were just silly stuff made up by bitter ex-players who missed the gravy train of modern cricket.

it's written. an akmal will never be a hero.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a kid, I used to believe that India can never beat Pakistan on fridays as Pakistan players get extra power after friday prayers.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe 2015 WC was the first time they lost to them on a Friday!

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dűr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sticky_wkt View Post
    As a kid, I used to believe that India can never beat Pakistan on fridays as Pakistan players get extra power after friday prayers.
    This. I used to pray for a Indo Pak match to be on Tuesday. Extra power from Lord Hanuman and all that.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also had the misconception that I was Akram reincarnate when I opened the bowling and got a couple of wickets on the cement pitch ground (Its Zabeel Park now) and the Mankhool Musallah. We also didn't change ends then, so I never knew.

Of course all my dreams were destroyed and I came crashing back down to earth when a semi professional club cricketer friend of mine who needed some batting practice hit me for 7 sixes and 3 4s in a row. The most humiliating part was it was just the two of us and I had to go fetch the ball after every delivery.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How tough even facing Ganguly level 125 to 130 pace is. It looks easy on TV...I am decent club cricketer...and I recently got to face couple of Ranji and an international bowler in boston ...40 year old Bangladesi Test veteran Tapash Bhaishya. God...it was incredibly fast....and dude hasnt played a game for bangladesh in like 10 years now. it was impossible to come into position and defend...Got hit as well. When asked he probably must be bowling inlate 120's or early 130's at the maximum. It was equally tough facing the ranji medium pacers. Cant even imagine how 150 is ! That day I have decided not to make fun of vinay kumar !

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    No ball takes precedence I believe.
    If the ball is over the head, it's a wide. In ODIs and tests, two balls over the shoulder are allowed before it is called a no-ball.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The umpires were part of a third team that was trying to win by getting the most number of no-balls/wides.

This was when I was like 6-8 years old and first started watching, pretty sure an older shararti cousin is to blame for this misconception.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IgnitedMind View Post
    How tough even facing Ganguly level 125 to 130 pace is. It looks easy on TV...I am decent club cricketer...and I recently got to face couple of Ranji and an international bowler in boston ...40 year old Bangladesi Test veteran Tapash Bhaishya. God...it was incredibly fast....and dude hasnt played a game for bangladesh in like 10 years now. it was impossible to come into position and defend...Got hit as well. When asked he probably must be bowling inlate 120's or early 130's at the maximum. It was equally tough facing the ranji medium pacers. Cant even imagine how 150 is ! That day I have decided not to make fun of vinay kumar !
    Indeed, television really doesn't do justice to the speed of the game. You only have a split second to react.

You have to train your reflexes for years as a batsman and let's not forget as a fielder too, especially if you're a keeper, in the slips or close positions like short-leg.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at bowling from above sight screen, it will look slow.
    If you look at it from mid wicket boundary, then it will be seen in correct speed.
    This is not a misconception.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are fielding restrictions in Test cricket. I realised this a few years back!!!!

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R3verse Swing View Post
    There are fielding restrictions in Test cricket. I realised this a few years back!!!!
    Really? I still think that there are no field restrictions in Test cricket. What are they if I may ask.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaankeJi View Post
    If you look at bowling from above sight screen, it will look slow.
    If you look at it from mid wicket boundary, then it will be seen in correct speed.
    This is not a misconception.
    Also regarding that. Is it sight screen or side screen?

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also regarding that. Is it sight screen or side screen?
    Sight screen.
    It is used to sight bowler's hand at the time of bowling.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? I still think that there are no field restrictions in Test cricket. What are they if I may ask.
    No more than 3 fielders behind square leg. Implemented after the body-line series.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R3verse Swing View Post
    No more than 3 fielders behind square leg. Implemented after the body-line series.
    Sorry, no more than 2 fielders behind square leg.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was young I thought Lankans were on illegal drugs so they could bat for an hour after an hour and scored 500+ runs at will. And not get tired.

And they were smelling/licking in between the overs.

Later to realize that SL wickets were dead roads.

Also spring inside Jayasuriya's bat lol

3WCs, #1 Test #1 ODI team, Fab 9: Sachin, Dravid, Saurav, Kumble, VVS, Viru, Zak, MSD, Yuvi

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't know what was over the wicket and what is round the wicket! And which one is which oen if batter is right hand or left hand.

3WCs, #1 Test #1 ODI team, Fab 9: Sachin, Dravid, Saurav, Kumble, VVS, Viru, Zak, MSD, Yuvi

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IgnitedMind View Post
    Lol so true.

But then if you manage to stay there facing 30 odd balls somehow, you can see ball as big as football, then reflexes come naturally.

But 120 km is faster than you think, correct.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketworm View Post
    Didn't know what was over the wicket and what is round the wicket! And which one is which oen if batter is right hand or left hand.
    Had the same problem. Still do.

Btw is it round or around the wicket?

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. Lesson 101

It's always the bowler's arm decide the side, nothing to do with batter. If the bowler is bowling with arm that is close to stump, it's over the wicket. If he/she bowls with arm away from stump it's round the wicket. This rule applies to both right arm bowler and left arm bowler.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more accurately 'around' the wicket.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. Lesson 101

It's always the bowler's arm decide the side, nothing to do with batter. If the bowler is bowling with arm that is close to stump, it's over the wicket. If he/she bowls with arm away from stump it's round the wicket. This rule applies to both right arm bowler and left arm bowler.
    Makes much more sense and well explained. Won't have any problems in the future.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    As a kid I always believed batting second in ODIs would be much easier than bowling after having a lunch of biryani and naans.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Lol so true.

But then if you manage to stay there facing 30 odd balls somehow, you can see ball as big as football, then reflexes come naturally.

But 120 km is faster than you think, correct.
    Having a bowling machine at Aberdeenshire cricket club when we were in the U16 team was fun. Up to 65mph was just about manageable but above was a struggle. 80mph was unplayable. Fun times.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Bangalore, India (Kochi native)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the glory days of the tri-nation tournaments, especially in the UAE, I used to be in awe of the king size cheques and huge looking "Keys" given to the MoM at the presentation ceremony.

Coupled with the fact that my own dad working in the ME and always hyped the obnoxious wealth and spending 9f the people there, I used to think that the cheques were so big because they were being paid so much money & they were being given monster trucks of some sort , hence the huge keys

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I actually believe that atul sharma was an actual player when he was first picked by rajistan royals

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still don't know how batting averages are calculated as they don't seem to be taking normal average calculating methods into consideration.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1513 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I still don't know how batting averages are calculated as they don't seem to be taking normal average calculating methods into consideration.
    BA = Runs scored divided by count of innings batsman had been dismissed (That's total innings played, net off Not outs).

If a batsman has a series like 128, 10, 38, 48, 58*, 0, 12 & 85*, 6 & 41; his average will be 53.25

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1513 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    My first realization of cricket was that Test cricket is not all about blocking - it really bluffed me first that why a batsman is blocking (& leaving) balls when actually entire field is open for him with 3 slips, gully, point, short leg, short squire leg and may be one at fine leg & one at short cover. It can't be incapability or for the sake of 5 days - then I really decided to learn why. Modern concept is that batsmen are told to do so (that's not to bat like Jacki Chan movie), which I found a bit childish.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    BA = Runs scored divided by count of innings batsman had been dismissed (That's total innings played, net off Not outs).

If a batsman has a series like 128, 10, 38, 48, 58*, 0, 12 & 85*, 6 & 41; his average will be 53.25
    Whats with the Not outs, how does that inflate the average.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1096 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Whats with the Not outs, how does that inflate the average.
    It's basically runs divided by dismissals.

So Dhoni has 9912 runs in ODIs in 270 innings which comes to 36.71 runs per innings.

But his actual average is calculated by subtracting the not outs from the number of innings, so in this case, 270-77 = 193.

9912/193 = 51.35

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Dhoni has 9912 runs in ODIs in 270 innings which comes to 36.71 runs per innings.

But his actual average is calculated by subtracting the not outs from the number of innings, so in this case, 270-77 = 193.

9912/193 = 51.35
    But where did the 77 come from?

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah OK, @Abdullah719. He had 77 not outs. Ok now I get it, Thanks a lot.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1096 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    But where did the 77 come from?
    Name:  msd.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  97.8 KB

Ah OK, @Abdullah719. He had 77 not outs. Ok now I get it, Thanks a lot.
    Yeah that's it.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9912/193 = 51.35
    However don't you think thats unfair to the top order batting line up, especially in a top heavy batting line up.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to be confused regarding Conventional and reverse swing. I used to think conventional swing was away swingers to the right handers while reverse swing was inswing to the right handers. I used to get so confused with inswing and outswing as they used to change with left handed/right handed batsman and bowler both. I started calling it left swing for away swingers to right handers, and right swing for inswingers to the right handers by a right arm bowler.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1096 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    However don't you think thats unfair to the top order batting line up, especially in a top heavy batting line up.
    It's the nature of the game I suppose, you have to balance out the different factors somehow.

Only a select few middle-order or lower middle-order batsmen have finished with an average that is highest than most top-order batsmen, namely Dhoni, Bevan and Hussey.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who do outside edges usually fly to the keeper/slips while inside edges usually fall short? The angle?

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1513 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Who do outside edges usually fly to the keeper/slips while inside edges usually fall short? The angle?
    More than angle, it's the batting technique - most cases out side edges are when batsmen try to play a shot, therefore the edges carry, but most inside edges are when batsmen are beaten in line or tried to with draw from shot (loosens top hand). Even on bouncy tracks, top batsmen can adjust top hand, if they are beaten by an out swinger and that ball won't carry to slip, while every time a batsman edges down the leg while flicking with bottom hand edges actually carry to WK still on rise, similarly inner edge of a miscued squire cut reaches to WK on raise (unless the contact is too thick- but that's basic physics, we are talking about soft touches here)

Cricket is much more complex than banging couple of SIX and the skills/tactics of bowling is at least 3 times more complex to comprehend - that's the main reason T20 is so popular (not because of duration, still it's twice than a soccer game) - it doesn't challenge the mental capacity of a common viewer.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    More than angle, it's the batting technique - most cases out side edges are when batsmen try to play a shot, therefore the edges carry, but most inside edges are when batsmen are beaten in line or tried to with draw from shot (loosens top hand). Even on bouncy tracks, top batsmen can adjust top hand, if they are beaten by an out swinger and that ball won't carry to slip, while every time a batsman edges down the leg while flicking with bottom hand edges actually carry to WK still on rise, similarly inner edge of a miscued squire cut reaches to WK on raise (unless the contact is too thick- but that's basic physics, we are talking about soft touches here)

Cricket is much more complex than banging couple of SIX and the skills/tactics of bowling is at least 3 times more complex to comprehend - that's the main reason T20 is so popular (not because of duration, still it's twice than a soccer game) - it doesn't challenge the mental capacity of a common viewer.
    For me reading your posts is better than watching T20. It's like I am in a class at college and you are the Professor

Really I wish commentators in Tests/ODIs analyzed the game in-depth like this instead of making random jokes all the time.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1513 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    For me reading your posts is better than watching T20. It's like I am in a class at college and you are the Professor

Really I wish commentators in Tests/ODIs analyzed the game in-depth like this instead of making random jokes all the time.
    Most of them don't bother to enrich their knowledge, neither try to see finer side of the game - they are more showman than analyst - hope, I don't sound arrogant here, but that's the truth. Hardly any modern commi can speak 2 minutes on a young player these days and I can literally write their pitch report before toss - it's cut, copy, paste job. 25 years back, Richi Benaud was bold enough to tell what was a winning total of a particular game (for a particular team, against another team) - and he'll be 10/12 runs away at most.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4599 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    'Pakistan me sab se zyada natural talent hai'

Then I grew up and understood the concepts of nationalism, patriotism, delusion, bias . . . xenophobia etc.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    'Pakistan me sab se zyada natural talent hai'

Then I grew up and understood the concepts of nationalism, patriotism, delusion, bias . . . xenophobia etc.
    Thats a misconception of life, not only cricket. Although we have all gone through it, hopefully you come out the better for it, which I think you will.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, you seem really down and more pessimistic recently. Whether its BDs bad run of late or not, I do not know. We have all gone through these phases and things will look up again hopefully. As for your claim about cricket just being about just banging sixes and a normal viewer does not have the mental capacity to comprehend whats going on, I think it's just nostalgia.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1513 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Hmm, you seem really down and more pessimistic recently. Whether its BDs bad run of late or not, I do not know. We have all gone through these phases and things will look up again hopefully. As for your claim about cricket just being about just banging sixes and a normal viewer does not have the mental capacity to comprehend whats going on, I think it's just nostalgia.
    Did you really understood my post? Read again carefully - that'll keep me interested to read your posts.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    there was a rumor that Ponting had springs in his bat in 2003 WC final lol

#MPGA