Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

The Winter Olympics 2018 Thread

(CNN)South Korean President Moon Jae-in shook hands with Kim Yo Jong, the sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, as geopolitics and sporting endeavor merged at the opening of the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang.

Minutes into a spectacular opening ceremony, Moon greeted a number of world leaders including Kim Yo Jong and North Korea's 90-year-old ceremonial head of state Kim Yong Nam, the head of the North's Olympic delegation.

Kim Yo Jong is the first member of the North's ruling dynasty to visit the south since the end of the Korean War in 1953. Even months ago, such an encounter would have been unthinkable.

The two figures from opposite sides of a divided Korea watched as athletes from their respective nations marched together under a unified flag. Mike Pence, the US Vice President, who has been vocal in his criticism of North Korea in the runup to the Games, sat meters away.

The ceremony drew on themes of peace, harmony and unity and involved a starring role for the Games' mascot Soohrang, the white tiger, which has long been considered a guardian in Korean history and culture.

The presence of Kim, who was promoted to the country's Politburo, the senior body of North Korea's communist party, as an alternate member last year, represents a hugely significant move in the thawing of relations between the neighbors.

According to diplomatic sources, there is a "good chance" Kim will invite Moon to visit Pyongyang "sometime this year."

While the sources say "nothing is final," a visit by Moon to North Korea would be the first time a South Korean President has stepped foot in the country since 2007.

That invitation could come when Moon and Kim will meet for lunch at the Blue House on Saturday, after the meeting was confirmed by a South Korean presidential spokesperson.

A potential date could be August 15, the day Korea was liberated from Japanese occupation in 1945, a holiday marked by both Koreas.

North Korea's Hwang Chung Gum and South Korea's Won Yun-jong arrive during the opening ceremony.
    Both watched on as the united Korea team entered the arena under the unification flag, a blue silhouette of the peninsula and outlying islands.. The show of unity and harmony was not lost on Thomas Bach, the President of the International Olympic Committee, who said North and South Korea had set a "great example" for sending "a powerful message of peace."

"All the athletes around me, all the spectators here in the stadium, and all Olympic fans watching around the world... we are all touched by this wonderful gesture," Bach said.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

Pita Taufatofua, the Tongan athlete who became an instant Olympic icon when he emerged shiny and shirtless carrying his country's flag during the Olympic Opening Ceremony in Rio two years ago, has done it again.

Taufatofua braved the 32˚F cold at Friday's Opening Ceremonies in Pyeongchang and again appeared bare-chested, wearing only a traditional Tongan mat. The guy knows he has a brand, and he is sticking to it.

The 34-year-old is a bit of a Renaissance man, excelling not only in shirtlessness but in taekwondo; his Summer Olympics sport, and cross-country skiing, his Winter Olympics sport. He's the only Tongan at this year's games, the first Tongan to appear in both the Winter and Summer Olympics, and most definitely the only one to do so in such an, ahem, attention-getting fashion.

Not quite so naked but getting there: The Bermudan delegation, who rolled up to the ceremony wearing, what else? Bermuda shorts.
    Flag bearer Tucker Murphy of Bermuda and teammates enter the stadium during the Opening Ceremony of the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympic Games at PyeongChang Olympic Stadium on February 9, 2018 in Pyeongchang-gun, South Korea.

If there was an Olympic medal for sticking it to the weather (and there should be), they would all win.

http://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/09/sp...nd0851AMVODtop

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I had tears in my eyes seeing a unified Korean flag. I don't know why though

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two Pakistanis competing at the winter games.

"Be the best version of yourself"

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    There are two Pakistanis competing at the winter games.
    It's abysmal considering the overall population.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    It's abysmal considering the overall population.
    Not bad for a poor country with a mostly hot climate.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  43.0 KB

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  53.1 KB

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sven Kramer LEGEND.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Macclesfield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Pakistan is taking part in Cross country skiing and Alpine skiing. Both Pakistani guys taking part are relatives. I hope Muhammad Karim does better this time around. In Sochi Olympics he came on the 71st place out of 109.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Angry snowboarders hit out at 'dangerous' Olympic final

Angry snowboarders said the “dangerous” women’s slopestyle final at the Pyeongchang Olympics should have been cancelled after vicious winds caused a string of crashes on Monday.

Nearly all the athletes, including American winner Jamie Anderson, tumbled at some point at the frigid Phoenix Park, where strong winds forced Sunday’s qualifiers to be scrapped and also delayed the final for more than an hour on Monday.

It was the latest event at the Games to be disrupted by the swirling wind, with the prestigious men’s downhill skiing moved to Thursday.

None of the snowboarders suffered major injury, but the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and International Ski Federation (FIS) faced questions as to why the final was not shelved.

The FIS admitted that conditions were “challenging” but defended the decision to go ahead with the event, saying the safety of the athletes was their top priority.

Enni Rukajarvi mastered the conditions better than most and took bronze behind defending champion Anderson and Laurie Blouin of Canada, but the Finn said her achievement had been overshadowed.

“Most happy that no one got hurt really bad,” she said.

Asked whether it had been the right decision to hold the event, she replied: “It wasn’t. It was better in the practice, but then it got really bad, so they should have cancelled it or moved it.”

The 27-year-old added: “The weather was bad and too dangerous and I got a lot of wind in my run, so that was bad, too. I had a fall and hurt my chin a little bit so it wasn’t too nice.”

On Sunday, 17-year-old Tess Coady, the youngest member of the Australian team in South Korea, was forced out of the Games after wrecking her left knee in training.

Coady blamed the weather and Austrian rival Anna Gasser said: “So many people got hurt because of the wind already.”

Gasser, who finished 15th, called the competition “a lottery” and said: “I don’t think it was a fair competition and I’m a little disappointed in the organisation that they pulled through with it.

“From my point of view I think it was not a good show for women’s snowboarding.”

‘Huge gusts’
    Britain’s Aimee Fuller, who finished 17th after crashing, branded the conditions among the toughest she had competed in and said she had “no chance” of landing her last jump when she was caught by one strong gust.

“It was for sure not what I wanted, not what I expected, not what I dreamed of for my Olympic final,” said the 26-year-old, who was unhurt in the fall.

“There were huge gusts of wind—I’ve decided to call it the Pyeongchang Gust.”

Anderson, 27, became the first woman to win two Olympic snowboarding golds, despite briefly falling too in her final run.

But all the talk was about the wind, which coupled with the sub-zero temperatures made life tough for athletes and spectators.

In the build-up to competition, Britain’s Katie Ormerod and teenager Coady both suffered Games-ending injuries on the slopestyle course, which features high rails and huge jumps.

Coady ruptured her anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), abruptly ending her first Olympics and leaving her facing several months on the sidelines.

In a statement, winter sports’ governing body said: “FIS always aims for the athletes to be able to stage their best performances, which some athletes have expressed was not the case today.

“But the nature of outdoor sports also requires adapting to the elements.”

https://mg.co.za/article/2018-02-12-...-olympic-final

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Medals Tally

Name:  IMG-20180213-WA0000.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  52.1 KB

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kim dominates to win snowboarding gold, Hirscher breaks through

PYEONGCHANG: It was a day for all ages at the Winter Olympics.

A few hours after 17-year-old Chloe Kim dominated the women’s halfpipe snowboarding final on Tuesday, 28-year-old Marcel Hirscher, a six-time overall World Cup champion, won the men’s com*bined at the Pyeongchang Games.

Four years after being too young to make the Olympic team in Sochi despite having the talent and scores to do so, Kim performed like a seasoned veteran in South Korea.

Kim put up a score of 93.75 on the first of her three finals runs and then topped that with a near-perfect 98.75 on her last run having already wrapped up her first Olympic gold.

“I knew that I did put down a really good first run,” Kim said, “but I was also like, ‘I can do better than that. I can one up myself.’” Kim’s parents both migrated to the United States from South Kor*ea, where their daughter made her Olympic debut in a cause for celebration in both countries.

Liu Jiayu finished second with 89.75 to become the first Chinese snowboarder to medal at the Olympics. Kim’s teammate, Arielle Gold, overcame a dislocated shoulder during training to earn a bronze.

In a first for the Olympics, Canadian curlers Kaitlyn Lawes and John Morris won gold in the debut of mixed doubles with a 10-3 victory over the Swiss pair of Jenny Perret and Martin Rios.

In a rush of night-time finishes, Kjeld Nuis led a Dutch double in the men’s 1,500-metre speedskating final, Natalie Geisenberger successfully defended her women’s luge title in a 1-2 finish for Germany, the cross-country classic sprint titles went to Johannes Hoesflot Klaebo of Norway and Stina Nilsson of Sweden, and Italian short-track speedskater Arianna Fontana won the women’s 500 metres.

Jeongseon, Hirscher’s combined two-run time was 0.23 seconds faster than silver medalist Alexis Pinturault of France. The Austrian is a three-time Olympian who had previously won only a silver medal despite never finishing below fifth in any race.

“I’m super happy because now this stupid question has gone away, if I’m thinking that my care*er is perfect without a gold medal,” Hirscher said. “Now the question is zzzzzzit deleted.” Hirscher isn’t done, either. He’ll be the favorite in his top two events of slalom and giant slalom, which will be raced in nearby Yongpyong.

Lawes and Morris were too good in the mixed doubles curling final, with Switzerland conceding in the sixth end of the match after missing an opportunity for a takeout with its last shot of the end. That gave Canada another two points. Seeing no way to come back from the deficit, the Swiss ended the game.

The team from Russia picked up bronze with Anastasia Bryzgalova tumbling onto the ice but bouncing back with teammate and husband Aleksandr Krushelnitckii for an 8-4 victory over Norway. Bryzgalova was shuffling backward in the third end when she stumbled over a stone and had her legs fly out from under her and she crashed hard onto her backside. The spill drew gasps from the stunned crowd and left a stunned Bryzgalova embarrassed for a moment.

Kjeld Nuis led teammate Patrick Roest in a 1-2 finish in the 1,500 metres to give Netherlands four wins from four finals in speedskating at the Olympic Oval.

The Dutch have now won eight of 12 medals at the Pyeongchang Games, keeping them on the stunning medal pace set at the 2014 Sochi Games when they finished with 23 out of 36.

Klaebo won gold in the men’s cross-country sprint, with Frederico Pellegrino of Italy getting the better of a photo finish to take silver ahead of Russian competitor Alexander Bolshunov.

Stina Nilsson of Sweden won the women’s cross-country sprint. Maiken Caspersen of Norway was second and Russian skier Yulia Belorukova took bronze.

Yet again, there was no medal for the United States. Jessica Diggins placed sixth, failing in her quest to become the first American woman to win an Olympic medal in cross-country skiing.

Geisenberger is the third woman to win consecutive Olympic luge golds, joining fellow German greats Steffi Martin Walter and Sylke Otto.

She beat German teammate Dajana Eitberger and Alex Gough, who took bronze to give Canada its first Olympic luge medal.

Erin Hamlin of the United States was sixth and Emily Sweeney crashed out midway through her final run.

Japanese short-track speedskater Kei Saito tested positive for the banned diuretic Acetalozamide in the first doping case of the Pyeongchang Games.

Saito, a reserve on the 5,000-metre relay team, said in a statement that he was “extremely shocked” by the results and has “never used anabolic steroids.” He did not race in any event before the test result from a pre-competition sample was confirmed.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport said Saito “accepted on a voluntary basis to be provisionally suspended and to leave the Olympic Village.” Yasuo Saito, vice president of the Japanese Olympic Committee, said the JOC would work to help the 21-year-old skater clear his name after the Olympics.

Shaun White was best in halfpipe qualifying, scoring a 98.5 to edge Australian rival Scotty James for the prime spot in Wednesday’s three-run final.

The two-time gold medalist will be in a 12-man final that includes Sochi silver medalist Ayumu Hirano of Japan, who finished third, and American teammates Ben Ferguson, Jake Pates and Chase Josey.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1389210/ki...breaks-through

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    That time of year when Canadians can pretend to be relevant on the sporting globe but nobody cares about these children games barring mercenaries

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curious to see how many people on pp actually interested in the winter olympics.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AssassinatedDevil View Post
    Curious to see how many people on pp actually interested in the winter olympics.
    I personally don't care much for Olympics, winter or normal but it has been on the TV in the background non stop here as a guest of mine was in the Romanian bobsleigh team in the 80's and still follows it religiously.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just asked if I could mention him and he said it is alright.

https://sl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_na...kih_igrah_1992

That's him at the 18th place in the first list and at the 20th in the second. Laurentiu Budur.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AssassinatedDevil View Post
    I am.