Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Is Kishore Kumar the GOAT?

In Hindi and Urdu language category of course before south indians pounce upon me.
    Discuss.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can't be. I don't know who he is

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too young to say that but Meri bheegi bheegi se is an ATG song
    Last edited by UN talkz; 11th February 2018 at 11:32.

[QUOTE=Mamoon;9742871]Don't see us ascending from 7th/6th in the near future. 5-0 in England and South Africa awaits us, we will be lucky to even draw one match. [/QUOTE]

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course. Along with Mohammad Rafi. Although Kishore was very talented in many fields.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes he is.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finalfantasy7 View Post
    Can't be. I don't know who he is
    Such a shame. You are missing out on a LOT

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    GOAT is always a controversial topic with guys like him, Mohammad Rafi and a couple of others all staking a claim.

I would say he is undisputedly an ATG and the most Versatile of them all with outrageous control on his voice.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yeah he is. I've made a thread on this. Rafi had a better voice but Kishore was so much more versatile and had way more great songs. His delivery was unreal

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who is he. Whoever he is he can't beat kanye.

"Be the best version of yourself"

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Man, I've noticed that so many young indians and Pakistanis have such bad taste in music. So much of the current Desi music that they listen to is just awful senseless trash.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    Yeah he is. I've made a thread on this. Rafi had a better voice but Kishore was so much more versatile and had way more great songs. His delivery was unreal
    Voice is subjective but Rafi certainly had better classical base. But Kishore was wildly versatile. There is very little that he has not done as a singer and he was not even trained classically. Not just as a singer but overall as a film personality he has done everything. Certainly a GOAT

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    Who is he. Whoever he is he can't beat kanye.
    Sharm kar

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rafi certainly had an intoxicating voice. I have seen tears rolling down the eyes of people when they immerse themselves too much in his music.
    Rafi+whiskey is a deadly combo.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I've noticed that so many young indians and Pakistanis have such bad taste in music. So much of the current Desi music that they listen to is just awful senseless trash.
    Music is subjective. Just because we like a certain someone does not mean that others have bad taste in music. Infact every generation thinks the previous ones music is crap. I could also say that the saturated pictures you take are awful senseless trash.
    Last edited by DeadBall; 11th February 2018 at 18:46.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TM Riddle View Post
    Rafi+whiskey is a deadly combo.
    Truer words have not been uttered.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadBall View Post
    Music is subjective. Just because we like a certain someone does not mean that others have bad taste in music. Infact every generation thinks the previous ones music is crap. I could also say that the saturated pictures you take are awful senseless trash.
    Music is subjective but that doesn't mean you start comparing Bieber with McCartney.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Music is subjective but that doesn't mean you start comparing Bieber with McCartney.
    Why not? Who made you the custodian of music? Its just the uppity my taste in music is better than yours thinking.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1627 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Really difficult to tell, but indeed one of the 3. Actually, play back singer, I feel more than their quality, is dependent on the contemporary life style, type of films, stars etc...

It's blasphemous for me to compare those 3 but I feel Rafi, KK & Mukesh were masters of their type. Mukesh had a wonderful voice for sad songs or such nostalgic songs, KK had the macho man voice, while Rafi had true romance in his voice. Having said that, Rafi's voice probably suited more for 50s, 60s era while KK was unreal with Kaka & Bachhan's voice. And, I am a big fan of Raj Kapoor (& Kaka), hence Mukesh is always one of my top favorites.

Apart from these 3, there was another one - our own Bengali Babu Hemanto Mukherjee (Hemant Kumar) - wonderful voice. For Bengali romantic songs (often sung with a soft emotional touch), one can't imagine a better voice than Hemanto (as Uttam Kumar's voice). And, whatever few Hindi numbers Hemanto performed (many of then as Dev Anand's voice), were master class.

All 4 were ATG for sure and that perfection won't ever return. I can add Manna De as well in that list, while Talat Mehmood had a beautiful sweet soft voice (but probably not manly enough) - but probably never dare to rank them.

For me, it was Lata Mungeskar alone and none even remotely close, my choice is probably Rafi, Mukesh, KK among male voice for Hindi, in that order. Utaam - Hemanto pair, and Shandhya Mukherjee are out of this scope.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Why not? Who made you the custodian of music? Its just the uppity my taste in music is better than yours thinking.
    Music is a form of art and art can be good or bad. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Trash musicians such as Bieber and Reshamiya would never be as good as Paul McCartney or Kishore Kumar no matter how one try to twist it . Not exactly a rocket science.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Really difficult to tell, but indeed one of the 3. Actually, play back singer, I feel more than their quality, is dependent on the contemporary life style, type of films, stars etc...

It's blasphemous for me to compare those 3 but I feel Rafi, KK & Mukesh were masters of their type. Mukesh had a wonderful voice for sad songs or such nostalgic songs, KK had the macho man voice, while Rafi had true romance in his voice. Having said that, Rafi's voice probably suited more for 50s, 60s era while KK was unreal with Kaka & Bachhan's voice. And, I am a big fan of Raj Kapoor (& Kaka), hence Mukesh is always one of my top favorites.

Apart from these 3, there was another one - our own Bengali Babu Hemanto Mukherjee (Hemant Kumar) - wonderful voice. For Bengali romantic songs (often sung with a soft emotional touch), one can't imagine a better voice than Hemanto (as Uttam Kumar's voice). And, whatever few Hindi numbers Hemanto performed (many of then as Dev Anand's voice), were master class.

All 4 were ATG for sure and that perfection won't ever return. I can add Manna De as well in that list, while Talat Mehmood had a beautiful sweet soft voice (but probably not manly enough) - but probably never dare to rank them.

For me, it was Lata Mungeskar alone and none even remotely close, my choice is probably Rafi, Mukesh, KK among male voice for Hindi, in that order. Utaam - Hemanto pair, and Shandhya Mukherjee are out of this scope.
    Good post but I'm surprised you didn't mention Mahendra Kapoor. Guy is so underrated. He didn't have versatility of Kishore or softness of Rafi but was extremely talented.
    Chalo ek bar phir se is one of my favorite songs.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1627 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Good post but I'm surprised you didn't mention Mahendra Kapoor. Guy is so underrated. He didn't have versatility of Kishore or softness of Rafi but was extremely talented.
    Chalo ek bar phir se is one of my favorite songs.
    For Kishore, he had one luck which should be mentioned - he faced less competition at his prime. Rafi passed away in 1980, at about 55, Mukesh in 1975, even younger - these are actually relative young age for a playback singer; besides after performing hajj in early 70s, Rafi reduced his involvement in music career significantly - for that Kishore had almost a free run for about a decade and half and his glory days are actually from early 70s to mid 80s.

Mahendra Kapoor indeed had a classical voice.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Music is a form of art and art can be good or bad. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Trash musicians such as Bieber and Reshamiya would never be as good as Paul McCartney or Kishore Kumar no matter how one try to twist it . Not exactly a rocket science.
    What these people don't get is that all art is not created equal. This stuff about everyone's opinion on music, movies etc matters is pure gargbage. If someone came up to me and told me that Fast and Furious is better than The Godfather and another person said that he isn't wrong because that's just his opinion then that person is just as big an idiot. I'm just glad that I have the refined taste that I do tbh. People can keep admiring garbage. That's their loss.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What these people don't get is that all art is not created equal. This stuff about everyone's opinion on music, movies etc matters is pure gargbage. If someone came up to me and told me that Fast and Furious is better than The Godfather and another person said that he isn't wrong because that's just his opinion then that person is just as big an idiot. I'm just glad that I have the refined taste that I do tbh. People can keep admiring garbage. That's their loss.
    Oh wow. The "Look at me, I have listened to Kishore or watched the Godfather thats why I am better than you" argument.

Taste evolves with time. Just because you have known better does not mean that you are better than everyone else, even though everyone likes to think they have better taste but that only evolves with time.

Those who like Bieber or Fast and the Furious just means they probably haven't a chance OR experience to savor The Shawshank Redemption or a a Mozart symphony. Hell, to me before The New Kids on The Block were the best thing since sliced bread but I grew to appreciate other things once my palate was refined.

Just because you have heard, watched or experienced better things does not make you better and it reeks of hypocrisy.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Oh wow. The "Look at me, I have listened to Kishore or watched the Godfather thats why I am better than you" argument.

Taste evolves with time. Just because you have known better does not mean that you are better than everyone else, even though everyone likes to think they have better taste but that only evolves with time.

Those who like Bieber or Fast and the Furious just means they probably haven't a chance OR experience to savor The Shawshank Redemption or a a Mozart symphony. Hell, to me before The New Kids on The Block were the best thing since sliced bread but I grew to appreciate other things once my palate was refined.

Just because you have heard, watched or experienced better things does not make you better and it reeks of hypocrisy.
    So you do agree that they are trash and its just a matter of time before people see the light and come to appreciate the quality music? Dunno why we have been arguing then since I have been claiming the exqct same as well , that Music indeed has good and bad in it and certain artists are simply better than the others.

Most people in subcontinent (esp the youth) have terrible taste in the music , reaffirmed by the growing popularity of Badshah and Honey Singh type third class musicians. Why do you think Salman Khan movies gross so much or are we to believe that they are cinematically superior just because one billion idiots seem to love them? Music is subjective but it's only when you are comparing good artists.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    So you do agree that they are trash and its just a matter of time before people see the light and come to appreciate the quality music? Dunno why we have been arguing then since I have been claiming the exqct same as well , that Music indeed has good and bad in it and certain artists are simply better than the others.

Most people in subcontinent (esp the youth) have terrible taste in the music , reaffirmed by the growing popularity of Badshah and Honey Singh type third class musicians. Why do you think Salman Khan movies gross so much or are we to believe that they are cinematically superior just because one billion idiots seem to love them? Music is subjective but it's only when you are comparing good artists.
    What defines a "good artist" though?

I'm assuming the average Kishore Kumar fan doesn't have a PhD in Music.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody beats Ataullah Khan Esakhelvi

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    863 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    When you talk about singers leave Rafi aside , then compare others.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kishore was not of this world. Besides having sung many memorable songs, he was a genius in other ways.

Once a studio executive came to visit him one summer dressed in a suit. Kishore greeted him by getting down on his hands and knees and barking like a dog. The executive was confused, and tried to talk to Kishore who kept barking in reply.

Later, when asked about this incident, Kishore said "If he can wear a suit in the heat of summer, I can bark instead of speaking like a human being".

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YES!

So much soothing voice, rarely you will find a singer, who can change your mood just from the voice. He can be energetic, soothing, inspiring, makes you think about life, teaches you how to love.

Also great lyrics have helped him immensely.

3WCs, #1 Test #1 ODI team, Fab 9: Sachin, Dravid, Saurav, Kumble, VVS, Viru, Zak, MSD, Yuvi

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rafi is like a Dessert. Royal, sweet sound.

Kishore Kumar is like an appetizer, main course, breakfast, dinner, supper and everything combined.

3WCs, #1 Test #1 ODI team, Fab 9: Sachin, Dravid, Saurav, Kumble, VVS, Viru, Zak, MSD, Yuvi

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Personally, Rafi, Mukesh, Talat and Hemant Kumar are all better to listen to.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nusrat.

Gangster rap made me do it.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Bangalore, India (Kochi native)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Hindi and Urdu language category of course before south indians pounce upon me.
    Discuss.
    Haha . .Well played ma boi. Only entered this thread for the very same purpose.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyB View Post
    Haha . .Well played ma boi. Only entered this thread for the very same purpose.
    Please create a separate thread for your Yesudas and Shrichandrans .
    Thanks.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Bangalore, India (Kochi native)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please create a separate thread for your Yesudas and Shrichandrans .
    Thanks.
    Whose Srichandran

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Such a shame. You are missing out on a LOT
    Ur chance to educate me?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Muscat,Oman
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justcrazy View Post
    When you talk about singers leave Rafi aside , then compare others.
    This!If Rafi isnt the goat,nobody is.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Music is very subjective so you'll never really have an undisputed GOAT. But personally speaking, nobody even comes close to Nusrat.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Music is very subjective so you'll never really have an undisputed GOAT. But personally speaking, nobody even comes close to Nusrat.
    Nusrat , Rafi and Kishor (in no order) are my top 3 as well.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Nusrat , Rafi and Kishor (in no order) are my top 3 as well.
    What an elite list.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    What an elite list.
    Would have loved to see their juggalbandi in Coke Studio if all of them were alive today.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    863 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fineline View Post
    This!If Rafi isnt the goat,nobody is.
    He was unique.

Even in high notes his voice does not crack , and the smoothness in transiting from high to low is so easy for him.

Always it felt that actor on screen was singing. Also , each and every word were crystal clear. The emotions which he brought in every song was unreal. That too with no help from technology in those days. In versatility no one comes closes to him , singing all kinds of genre.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What do you guys think about the legend Kumar Sanu himself? King of the 90s with countless hit songs.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    What do you guys think about the legend Kumar Sanu himself? King of the 90s with countless hit songs.
    Sanu, Nigam etc don't evoke the same amount of nostalgia like Rafi, Kishore etc to be GOAT. Definitely ATG though.