Oct 2015
    Venue
    Gurgaon
    Runs
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

BCCI set to earn over Rs 2000 crore from IPL, nearly 95% of the board's surplus

NEW DELHI: The Indian Premier League (IPL), which started as a sideshow by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in 2008, is now set to account for nearly 95 percent of the board’s surplus.

BCCI’s projections of its income and spending in the coming financial year suggest that the IPL will earn a surplus of Rs 2,017 crore, while the rest of the board’s operations - international fixtures as well as domestic - will contribute barely Rs 125 crore to its surplus.

What these projections mean is that BCCI will make 16 times more profit during the 45-day IPL window than it is likely to in the remaining 320 days of the year. This net surplus will accrue after BCCI’s expenditure on the game’s infrastructure and other heads, amounting to approximately Rs 1,272 crore against an income of Rs 3,413 crore.

In the current year, IPL is estimated to contribute 60 percent of BCCI’s overall surplus of a little under Rs 670 crore. Now, thanks to the five-year mega media rights deal worth Rs 16,347 crore with Star India, IPL is going to bring in a surplus of Rs 2017 crore as compared to Rs 400 crore in the last financial year. Keeping the surplus generated from the IPL aside, BCCI is likely to end up generating a surplus of Rs 125 crore out of its international calendar and domestic matches.

Thus, the net surplus of the board is projected to see a threefold increase from Rs 665 crore to 2,142 crore. The allocation ratio (IPL:BCCI) has changed to 80:20 from 52:48 due to change in revenue shares. This means BCCI’s establishment and administration expenses are likely to come down to Rs 19 crore from Rs 51crore.

Based on the Future Tours Programme, the board will see a marginal drop of Rs 5 crore in the surplus from the men’s team’s international tours, leading to a substantial drop of Rs 78 crore in income from media rights alone.

Interestingly, the projections indicate that the Indian team may not play any Test matches in New Zealand when they tour early next year after a gap of five years. India will play 12 Tests in the next financial year with only two Tests at home - against West Indies.

Income from media rights per international fixture - Tests, ODIs or T20Is - is billed at Rs 43.20 crore. India will play 10 international matches each in Australia and New Zealand in the coming financial year. They are slated to play four Tests, three ODIs and three T20Is in Australia, before flying out to New Zealand for five ODIs and five T20Is. The media rights agreement with Star is due for renewal in April 2018.

“There is a lot of risk of losing money in a five-day game starting at 3 am India time (in New Zealand). Anyway, it will be a World Cup year by the time India travel to New Zealand. India will be playing just white-ball cricket after the Tests in Australia get over till the World Cup in England arrives.

India will host Australia after they come back from New Zealand and will travel to Zimbabwe for three T20Is before the 2019 IPL,” a senior BCCI official in the know of things told TOI.

India played just two Tests and five One-Day Internationals last time when they visited New Zealand in 2014.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/62894670.cms

Dravid's remarkable career is proof that nice guys don't finish last - Steve Waugh

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was only a matter of time before IPL overtook BCCI's international revenues. T20's are the present and the future. Amazing amount of $$ being generated. I don't think BCCI's new international TV deal will be the anywhere near the IPL deal.

I think the BCCI will continue to throw a bone to Tests for a few more years just to keep it in the mix. NZ seem to be the pioneers in pretty much moving away from Tests and just playing ODI and T20.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USofA View Post
    It was only a matter of time before IPL overtook BCCI's international revenues. T20's are the present and the future. Amazing amount of $$ being generated. I don't think BCCI's new international TV deal will be the anywhere near the IPL deal.

I think the BCCI will continue to throw a bone to Tests for a few more years just to keep it in the mix. NZ seem to be the pioneers in pretty much moving away from Tests and just playing ODI and T20.
    Is this a good or bad thing for BCCI?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

I would love it if we had our own league, or a couple of teams in the BBL.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakpak View Post
    Is this a good or bad thing for BCCI?
    The more important question is, is this good or bad for international cricket, the ICC and it's revenues? Because, the IPL revenues are all BCCI's no one has a claim to it or gets a share of it.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aman View Post
    NZ's move towards the shorter formats could create a market down the line that can sustain a league.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does NZC have money to fund a league? BBL thing could work but none of that really matters unless your team starts winning stuff as that is the only sure shot way of getting more people watching.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jagatk View Post
    Does NZC have money to fund a league? BBL thing could work but none of that really matters unless your team starts winning stuff as that is the only sure shot way of getting more people watching.
    Probably not, we'd need South Asian investors.

I think it could work if marketed well and played at the right grounds, need the international players playing though.
    Last edited by Aman; 13th February 2018 at 09:53.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I think it could work if marketed well and played at the right grounds, need the international players playing though.
    not enough population to sustain any big money league.

even in the 4 million or so population, cricket is a distant second.

Best way for NZ is to do what Canada does in US sports leagues

Have 2 or so teams like Canada does in NHL, NBA, MLB.

#MPGA

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's going to be difficult unless someone like ipl franchises invest in this like with CPL teams, your timings are too odd to successfully market to indian subcontinent.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Start your own league in UAE with Qualifiers and Final in New Zealand(just to show off that this is a NZ league otherwise not needed) and i am serious about it.
    No one in South Asia is gonna watch a T20 match at 8 am in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Don't see us ascending from 7th/6th in the near future. 5-0 in England and South Africa awaits us, we will be lucky to even draw one match.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    The more important question is, is this good or bad for international cricket, the ICC and it's revenues? Because, the IPL revenues are all BCCI's no one has a claim to it or gets a share of it.
    What has icc or international cricket got to do here? PSL BBL CPL BPL dont give revenues to icc.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    What has icc or international cricket got to do here? PSL BBL CPL BPL dont give revenues to icc.
    I am looking at the long term picture. The more the IPL grows, less the focus or need for international cricket from the BCCI. This also includes ICC events. India drives revenues for several boards and all ICC events. If the BCCI weans away slowly from ICC events and international cricket, there is going to be less $$$ flowing into several coffers. This will have a detrimental effect.

The Indian fans are already are/starting to lean IPL over international. The $2.6 billion IPL TV deal is proof. The upcoming BCCI new international TV deal will drive home this point as well.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking at the long term picture. The more the IPL grows, less the focus or need for international cricket from the BCCI. This also includes ICC events. India drives revenues for several boards and all ICC events. If the BCCI weans away slowly from ICC events and international cricket, there is going to be less $$$ flowing into several coffers. This will have a detrimental effect.

The Indian fans are already are/starting to lean IPL over international. The $2.6 billion IPL TV deal is proof. The upcoming BCCI new international TV deal will drive home this point as well.
    Focus will be only on World Cups (ODI and T20I) and Tests with top tier teams going forward for BCCI / Team India I guess.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is because India being the 2nd most (soon to be 1st) populous nation has the crowds to sustain IPL. The revenues come mainly from media rights and as long as people are willing to watch IPL, it will only grow from here. This is one of the factors in promoting cricket at the ground level in that country. Also with so much money at stake, it has become very competitive with the best players now trying for the national team.

While none of the other leagues will be able to compete with IPL, I hope with this kind of revenue stream, IPL spreads that love a bit and promotes cricket in nations willing to adopt it and also invites players from ALL nations so folks around the globe can see some of their own stars in action and enjoy the game.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fitCricFan View Post
    That is because India being the 2nd most (soon to be 1st) populous nation has the crowds to sustain IPL. The revenues come mainly from media rights and as long as people are willing to watch IPL, it will only grow from here. This is one of the factors in promoting cricket at the ground level in that country. Also with so much money at stake, it has become very competitive with the best players now trying for the national team.

While none of the other leagues will be able to compete with IPL, I hope with this kind of revenue stream, IPL spreads that love a bit and promotes cricket in nations willing to adopt it and also invites players from ALL nations so folks around the globe can see some of their own stars in action and enjoy the game.
    They allready doing it..Rasheed Khan from Afg, now one more new guy got selected from Nepal.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How much money should BCCI spend out of those to find a new Wicket Keeper Batsman, backup opener, number 5 and 6?

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    How much money should BCCI spend out of those to find a new Wicket Keeper Batsman, backup opener, number 5 and 6?
    i think ur board is spending much/

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IPL feeds off international cricket. It will die without international cricket.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of this could have been ICC World Cup T20's.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaankeJi View Post
    I think it will adapt. If international cricket dies (not happening anytime soon), the focus will shift to locals only. The league will continue. There will be dips but in the long run it will grow and be a robust league.

We in the United States have such leagues that make more money than any sports leagues in the world. No reason why the IPL can't take page out of these leagues and succeed.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1513 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    It's their money, generated by their people - they should enjoy that. Just going by simple maths, PCB should receive around 450 crore PKR from PSL (because IPL/cricket isn't the only entertainment in IND like cricket in PAK) - I take a little discount considering all other factors, say about 80% discount, so PCB should get about 100 crore PKR ..................

therefore I do believe above kanspiracy and many other factors, there should be one more qualifier - competence. You need bulls to pull the plough, GOAT hardly serves the purpose.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we can all benefit from a Cricket world cup that is held every year or maybe two. Four years is a bloody long time and with the revenues at an all time high, everyone will win

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fitCricFan View Post
    I think we can all benefit from a Cricket world cup that is held every year or maybe two. Four years is a bloody long time and with the revenues at an all time high, everyone will win
    Every year will devalue the product. The revenues are high because its only once every 4 years and not 4 in 4 years.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaankeJi View Post
    Wrong. Ipl can live and continue to grow without international cricket. It will in my opinion in the long term end up like Us sports teams like nfl or nba where similar to Americans, Indians will only play against Indian teams, and more Ipl teams will get created for the other Indian states and Ipl can market itself as such where there will be internal rivalries between states generating mass revenue.

I don’t think even having international players in Ipl really makes a big difference at this point. I could be wrong. I don’t think in the distant future Indians will care much about international cricket. They will however play the odd World Cup games like 50 over World Cup, champions trophy etc but not the test and bilaterals This to me makes sense too as a good long term vision.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snak3eye5 View Post
    Wrong. Ipl can live and continue to grow without international cricket. It will in my opinion in the long term end up like Us sports teams like nfl or nba where similar to Americans, Indians will only play against Indian teams, and more Ipl teams will get created for the other Indian states and Ipl can market itself as such where there will be internal rivalries between states generating mass revenue.

I don’t think even having international players in Ipl really makes a big difference at this point. I could be wrong. I don’t think in the distant future Indians will care much about international cricket. They will however play the odd World Cup games like 50 over World Cup, champions trophy etc but not the test and bilaterals This to me makes sense too as a good long term vision.
    probably in 30 years. I feel India will continue to play tests. They may reduce T20Is so that it doesn't cannibalize IPL revenue.. India will play less and less T20Is at home and India will be reluctant to host T20 WC during fist half of the year

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snak3eye5 View Post

IPL can live without International Cricket and Players is the biggest nonsense I have ever heard. If there is no international cricket where and who will create superstars for IPL?
    Last edited by UN talkz; 14th February 2018 at 11:14.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    IPL can live without International Cricket and Players is the biggest nonsense I have ever heard. If there is no international cricket where and who will create superstars for IPL?
    IPL itself will create super stars. Don't the soccer league produce stars before even international teams in football?
    Last edited by UN talkz; 14th February 2018 at 11:15.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    IPL itself will create super stars. Don't the soccer league produce stars before even international teams in football?
    Who are the superstars of IPL currently? I am asking about non internationals.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    not comparable tbh

in soccer, international football is not necessarily the pinnacle of the sport for everyone. For some club is greater, some put it at par and some above - atleast everyone accepts that they are more or less of same prestige.

In cricket, internationals are by and far the pinnacle of the sport. Even bilaterals are given more prestige atm whereas in soccer thats def not the case with friendlies. For a cricketer one world cup winning year will trump 10 years of IPL success and will lead to a big reputation whereas in soccer, a player could become legendary without any international success of any level (Ryan Giggs, George Best etc)

#MPGA

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without test cricket you might as well abolish bowlers.T20 is entertainment and money machine,it can never become the essence of cricket.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @posts #'s 29, 30

Sure a lot of IPL stars are internationals, cricket in general is based more on internationals than domestic in the current setup. But if a scenario comes where there are no more internationals, the IPL (or any other PL league) will not just die. It will adapt.

The league will change their focus and model the league differently, people will change, corporations will change. There is money to be made, and this will drive everyone to adapt and even open new doors. Sure it might take 10, 15 even 20 years to completely be successful, but it can and will happen.

As they say, change is the only constant. Not only is change constant it is also good.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who are the superstars of IPL currently? I am asking about non internationals.
    How do you think ashwin and jadeja come in to limelight? Had it not been for ipl those two most likely would have spent long time playing ranji before getting noticed.

Also international cricket does not find anything it is the domestic cricket that does, if internationals stopped the domestic cricket won't just disappear just that ipl or other leagues will have to spend money to scout domestic tournaments, much like how MI found likes of bumrah.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How do you think ashwin and jadeja come in to limelight? Had it not been for ipl those two most likely would have spent long time playing ranji before getting noticed.

Also international cricket does not find anything it is the domestic cricket that does, if internationals stopped the domestic cricket won't just disappear just that ipl or other leagues will have to spend money to scout domestic tournaments, much like how MI found likes of bumrah.
    So Ashwin and Jadeja are superstars of IPL currently?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read your first comment, you said international cricket creates players for ipl, which clearly is incorrect as frankly in recent times ipl has been the one that has provided Indian team with players who might have been overlooked for longtime but for ipl.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But a lot of international players that came to limelight were found on the IPL platform. Jadeja being one. Hardik and Manish Pandey aswell.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by austerlitz View Post
    Without test cricket you might as well abolish bowlers.T20 is entertainment and money machine,it can never become the essence of cricket.
    Luckily, money doesn't care about test being essence of cricket. Money cares about t20 and it's popularity. I personally hate test cricket, its a complete waste of time in this modern era, atleast for me. The sooner that format dies off, the better. Even ODI is getting too long these days.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so someone has to be superstars all their lives.. they had their limelight and the world has moved on...

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not sell SuperSmash's team to private billionaires? and invite overseas players to play?

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IPL doesn't need international cricket. Guptill is a mega hit in T20I's = UNSOLD. Darcy Short and Jofra Archer are nobodies who made their name in BBL and got picked for crores. If international cricket is replaced by a calendar with leagues from around the world, which it slowly is being. Then it will become irrelevant.

So yeah, don't just assume you know it all.

And for someone who hates IPL so much, jeez you cant stop talking about it. Good luck hating IPL for the rest of your remaining life.
    Last edited by Cricfan4eva; 15th February 2018 at 06:06.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what happens with the surplus? Do they just lie idle in bank account or can we expect to see better stadiums, more academies etc? Is there any way to track how the money is spent? Any directives from the Lodha committee on this front?

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    International cricket isn't going anywhere. Nothing can beat the excitement of an ODI world cup that is watched by millions at home to see which country will be crowned best in the world. IPL will continue to prosper and expand but international cricket will adapt and survive.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    IPL needs international cricket, as this is from where players showcase their talent to get selected by IPL.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricfan4eva View Post
    IPL doesn't need international cricket. Guptill is a mega hit in T20I's = UNSOLD. Darcy Short and Jofra Archer are nobodies who made their name in BBL and got picked for crores. If international cricket is replaced by a calendar with leagues from around the world, which it slowly is being. Then it will become irrelevant.

So yeah, don't just assume you know it all.

And for someone who hates IPL so much, jeez you cant stop talking about it. Good luck hating IPL for the rest of your remaining life.
    You are one of those delusional fan who think IPL can survive without Internationals. Cricket is not football. It will fall flat on its face once the internationals are stopped.

Also me hating or not liking IPL is none of your business. I am free to discuss any topic I like here. Good luck worshipping IPL and IPL legends for the rest of your life.

Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubol123 View Post
    so someone has to be superstars all their lives.. they had their limelight and the world has moved on...
    Yeah the world has moved on. May be you didn't read the post I quoted properly. So again who are the current superstars of IPL? I asked the same question earlier I got Ashwin and Jadeja's name in reply.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AssassinatedDevil View Post
    International cricket isn't going anywhere. Nothing can beat the excitement of an ODI world cup that is watched by millions at home to see which country will be crowned best in the world. IPL will continue to prosper and expand but international cricket will adapt and survive.
    Yes. Look how many people watched the CT final and got hurt when India lost it badly. Compare this to Pyjama League final. I doubt even fans who worship IPL remember who made the finals in IPL 2016 and won it.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Yes. Look how many people watched the CT final and got hurt when India lost it badly. Compare this to Pyjama League final. I doubt even fans who worship IPL remember who made the finals in IPL 2016 and won it.
    I don't even know who played last year and who won lmao

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. The main problem with IPL is that no one remembers the matches a week after the tournament ends. You won't see "the 2011 IPL quarter final was won by team X hence team y is worse" type of arguements on these forums. The IPL becomes irrelevant as soon as the main tournament ends. Contrast this with english football, and you will see how die-hard fans will defend their respective teams in the second leg of the manchester derby in the year 20XX when in the 90th minute Player X stole the ball from Player Y and scored the winning goal. Part of this is because IPL goes on for a couple of weeks while football goes on for months on end. Until the mainstream audience takes these leagues seriously instead of thinking of it as a cricket festival, IPL would be dependent on International Cricket to provide it with T20 stars.
    Last edited by AssassinatedDevil; 15th February 2018 at 09:58.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are one of those delusional fan who think IPL can survive without Internationals. Cricket is not football. It will fall flat on its face once the internationals are stopped.

Also me hating or not liking IPL is none of your business. I am free to discuss any topic I like here. Good luck worshipping IPL and IPL legends for the rest of your life.
    You keep saying international cricket dieing will kill off ipl, my question is why? BBL is very popular in Australia, PSL is basically the only thing that is getting PCB good money, these leagues are providing enough monetary benefits to the players that i don't think players will stop playing cricket.

Cricket/ Football for that matter any team sport, Representing your nation is the pinnacle of the sport not the basic requirement.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by light View Post
    Luckily, money doesn't care about test being essence of cricket. Money cares about t20 and it's popularity. I personally hate test cricket, its a complete waste of time in this modern era, atleast for me. The sooner that format dies off, the better. Even ODI is getting too long these days.
    Then abolish the art of bowling with it.Dont call it cricket,call it power batting competition.T20 players will never be worthy of respect as cricketers.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. The main problem with IPL is that no one remembers the matches a week after the tournament ends. You won't see "the 2011 IPL quarter final was won by team X hence team y is worse" type of arguements on these forums. The IPL becomes irrelevant as soon as the main tournament ends. Contrast this with english football, and you will see how die-hard fans will defend their respective teams in the second leg of the manchester derby in the year 20XX when in the 90th minute Player X stole the ball from Player Y and scored the winning goal. Part of this is because IPL goes on for a couple of weeks while football goes on for months on end. Until the mainstream audience takes these leagues seriously instead of thinking of it as a cricket festival, IPL would be dependent on International Cricket to provide it with T20 stars.
    Yes lets compare fan followings of the team that was formed 10 years ago with teams who have existed for 100+ years.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes lets compare fan followings of the team that was formed 10 years ago with teams who have existed for 100+ years.
    That shouldn't matter. If the IPL is making bucketloads of money and many people are saying that it will replace international cricket soon then sentiment of fans should back it up. The tournament is nothing without its fans.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think it will happen because IPL doesn't have serious competition from other sports for the Indian audience.

Sports fans need to watch something. If the game is not boring (like 5-day test matches or golf), they will always tune in. They have to find something to pass their time.
    Last edited by Napa; 15th February 2018 at 10:28.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    I don't think it will happen because IPL doesn't have serious competition from other sports for the Indian audience.

Sports fans need to watch something. If the game is not boring (like 5-day test matches or golf), they will always tune in. They have to find something to pass their time.
    Agreed, I stay in Bangalore ..From last 10 years getting tickets for RCB match in Chinnaswamy is tougher than any international match at the same venue be it ODI, T20I or Test.

Still think International cricket and IPL will coexist, also ICC board is always supportive of IPL from the inception. Thanks to BCCI to have foresight to keep IPL in good books of ICC from the start. Now IPL has become so big, still BCCI will continue to work with ICC to have same cordial relation going forward. If you followed IPL correctly, BCCI always invites higher ICC board officials to watch playoffs / Final IPL matches live.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Lol there is no loyalty in IPL. Which loss will hurt you more? CT final or IPL final?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Even some die hard IPL fans don't.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol there is no loyalty in IPL. Which loss will hurt you more? CT final or IPL final?
    As an MI fan both would hurt.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That shouldn't matter. If the IPL is making bucketloads of money and many people are saying that it will replace international cricket soon then sentiment of fans should back it up. The tournament is nothing without its fans.
    I don't think the sentiment of fans needs to back it up. It is the wallet $$ of the fans that needs to back it up, as well as eyeballs on tv and at the stadiums.

Judging by the $2.6 billion tv deal, I think the corporations are backing the fans to flock to the IPL. By the way this deal I am sure is larger than any deal that international or ICC events have made.

My view has always been, let all forms be played and the fans should decide what they like/want. Let the free market decide.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cannot be serious right? Any league and teams in it need atleast a few decades before you talk fan loyalty and stuff do you think football fans became die fans the minute the teams were created, its a culture it takes time to set in, you think people in india cared about cricket much in 60's or 70's and now look what it is today.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not surprising. I don't either. But then again, it is not catered to me or you. It is 99% for the the Indian fans. Anybody else they get is just gravy on top.

Now, the key is do the Indian fans know? If they do, then the league has nothing to worry about.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    As an MI fan both would hurt.
    Which will hurt you more?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which will hurt you more?
    Equally mate, both are teams i support but my life doesn't get affected by either much.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IPL has already made more than a 100 non-Indian top cricketers millionaires in USD terms. 20 years ago, a Brian Lara was willing to go on strike and refuse to play cricket for his national team for financial reasons. Today, a Chris Gayle has made so much money thanks to the IPL, that he is willing to pretty much play for free for the West Indies. All the top cricketers of the planet get a big chunk of their annual earnings from the IPL, making it easier for the less rich boards like NZ, SA etc to reduce salary pressure on their budgets.

Compare this to the Big Bash, the entire league is owned by the Aus board, and they impose strict salary cap on teams, so basically the players are playing for pennies. BBL is entirely built and run, for the Aussie board, by the Aussie board.

Plus, IPL pays a flat percentage of foreign players' salaries to their home boards - around 10% or so, maybe more. So not only are players benefiting, their boards are benefiting from the IPL as well.

So overall, I think the IPL has helped international cricket, by infusing a large amount of cash for cricketers. Just like Indian cricket tours infuse millions for the different countries' cricket budgets.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cannot be serious right? Any league and teams in it need atleast a few decades before you talk fan loyalty and stuff do you think football fans became die fans the minute the teams were created, its a culture it takes time to set in, you think people in india cared about cricket much in 60's or 70's and now look what it is today.
    Very correct. I don't like T20s. I just watch IPL to see young Indian players. But people who like IPL maybe taking everything seriously. And genuine loyalty will take time mostly while the league itself evolves. My city Kochi has an ISL team and it is one of the best supported football club worldwide. By supporting, I don't mean by having fan clubs n all. Average attendances are close to 55k which is better than most of European ones. Match day is an event for us locals. And we have fiesty derbies against Chennai and Bangalore. My point is loyalty will come eventually.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How will you build loyalty and fan base if teams keep getting added and removed?

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OoparCut View Post
    IPL has already made more than a 100 non-Indian top cricketers millionaires in USD terms. 20 years ago, a Brian Lara was willing to go on strike and refuse to play cricket for his national team for financial reasons. Today, a Chris Gayle has made so much money thanks to the IPL, that he is willing to pretty much play for free for the West Indies. All the top cricketers of the planet get a big chunk of their annual earnings from the IPL, making it easier for the less rich boards like NZ, SA etc to reduce salary pressure on their budgets.

Compare this to the Big Bash, the entire league is owned by the Aus board, and they impose strict salary cap on teams, so basically the players are playing for pennies. BBL is entirely built and run, for the Aussie board, by the Aussie board.

Plus, IPL pays a flat percentage of foreign players' salaries to their home boards - around 10% or so, maybe more. So not only are players benefiting, their boards are benefiting from the IPL as well.

So overall, I think the IPL has helped international cricket, by infusing a large amount of cash for cricketers. Just like Indian cricket tours infuse millions for the different countries' cricket budgets.
    Very good post. What you have said is absolutely true. There is no question the IPL has changed the lives of several cricketers and just as important their family tree. That is a huge impact.

I think the IPL should be encouraged more rather than the hatred that I see on this forum. There people questioning it's very existence and want it shut down. I am sure leagues like the PSL also have a similar effect albeit on a smaller scale.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Equally mate, both are teams i support but my life doesn't get affected by either much.
    So basically you are a part time cricket fan. I was talking about die hard IPL and Indian cricket fans.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cannot be serious right?
    No i'm very serious

Any league and teams in it need atleast a few decades before you talk fan loyalty and stuff do you think football fans became die fans the minute the teams were created, its a culture it takes time to set in, you think people in india cared about cricket much in 60's or 70's and now look what it is today.
    It definitely takes time to develop the culture to follow the teams but that doesn't mean the Mumbai Indians versus Delhi Daredevils rivalry will be anything close to the indo-pak rivalry anytime soon. The IPL will continue to get bigger and bigger but it will not eclipse international cricket anytime soon. Winning the IPL isn't as important as winning the world cup. Most kids in India dream to win the indian cricket team the cricket world cup, not the IPL trophy for a team that buys them in an auction. Don't get me awrong, IPL is a great tournament but the fact of the matter is international cricket is the reason why IPL is a thing to begin with. If international players weren't playing in the IPL, then it would not be this commercially successful.
    Last edited by AssassinatedDevil; 15th February 2018 at 12:23.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OoparCut View Post

POTW....

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How will you build loyalty and fan base if teams keep getting added and removed?
    That's one of the biggest problems with T20 leagues these days. Chopping and changing the teams makes it seem like they have some sort of identitiy crisis. Loyalty from fans will increase dramatically only when players are loyal to their clubs and clubs are loyal to their players.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even some die hard IPL fans don't.
    If this is the case, then the league is in trouble. Not to mention what a bad investment this turn out for Star.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    IPL is growing every year and let’s be honest in the fast paced lifestyle of today’s world and the amount of alternative options for TV viewers the popularity of such leagues will only increase.. IPL and international cricket will co-exist for atleast a couple more decades after that it depends on how much the next generation of Indians invest into IPL vs 50/test matches.. That will be the main driving force on whether IPL is expanded like American sports or stays a 2 month long event..

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is the case, then the league is in trouble. Not to mention what a bad investment this turn out for Star.
    LOL. You don't understand the economics of ad-selling for TV channels then.

Team Loyalties and such take decades to develop - and are not really important for the league - as long as the fans are watching the games in big numbers, which in turn makes it a valuable commodity for broadcasters. Individual team loyalties are nice to have - especially for individual teams. But during the IPL 'season' - entire India is watching pretty much every game. Neither does STAR TV care if they are loyal to one team or the other, and nor would the IPL.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's one of the biggest problems with T20 leagues these days. Chopping and changing the teams makes it seem like they have some sort of identitiy crisis. Loyalty from fans will increase dramatically only when players are loyal to their clubs and clubs are loyal to their players.
    I started supporting RCB from year 1 and never cared who plays or not, it's just city based love we have for RCB.

You should visit one of Bangalore Pubs during RCB match, it will be like carnival !

Fans may not be emotional like international matches , but fans do seriously support IPL teams.

Also RCB vs CSK derby is one of most high wire match for us Bangalore fans. Bangalore and Chennai has politically rivalry from decades ... So we Indian Fans do have loyalty for our IPL teams #RCB #PLAYBOLD

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the sentiment of fans needs to back it up. It is the wallet $$ of the fans that needs to back it up, as well as eyeballs on tv and at the stadiums.

Judging by the $2.6 billion tv deal, I think the corporations are backing the fans to flock to the IPL. By the way this deal I am sure is larger than any deal that international or ICC events have made.

My view has always been, let all forms be played and the fans should decide what they like/want. Let the free market decide.
    Wallet does need to back it up and has been doing it for a decade for sure. But the way I see the current IPL model is like this: For about 2 months, all of India stops for the IPL. No thought is given to future Indian Cricket Team matches or how the other international teams are doing. Newspaper after newspaper is busy with publishing the latest IPL headlines. The day of the final comes, and the winning team and its fans are over the moon. And that's that...no one hears about the IPL again. No mention about the final is heard months later. The cycle resets a year later, only this time alot of players switch camp and go to other teams, leaving fans confused as to whether they follow their favorite player's new team or stay loyal to the old team.

Most Indians would be able to tell you who won the world cup in 1983. I'm betting that even kids born in the 2000s must've been taught about the history of sport in India and they would've learnt about that win in 1983. International tournaments are cultural events that unite nations together and have them rallying behind their national teams. It's what inspires young kids to pick up the bat the next time they leave the house instead of kicking around the football. I might be wrong and alot more kids might want to end up as cricketers by just watching the IPL, but there is something about the magic of international cricket that the IPL will never be able to replicate.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wallet does need to back it up and has been doing it for a decade for sure. But the way I see the current IPL model is like this: For about 2 months, all of India stops for the IPL. No thought is given to future Indian Cricket Team matches or how the other international teams are doing. Newspaper after newspaper is busy with publishing the latest IPL headlines. The day of the final comes, and the winning team and its fans are over the moon. And that's that...no one hears about the IPL again. No mention about the final is heard months later. The cycle resets a year later, only this time alot of players switch camp and go to other teams, leaving fans confused as to whether they follow their favorite player's new team or stay loyal to the old team.

Most Indians would be able to tell you who won the world cup in 1983. I'm betting that even kids born in the 2000s must've been taught about the history of sport in India and they would've learnt about that win in 1983. International tournaments are cultural events that unite nations together and have them rallying behind their national teams. It's what inspires young kids to pick up the bat the next time they leave the house instead of kicking around the football. I might be wrong and alot more kids might want to end up as cricketers by just watching the IPL, but there is something about the magic of international cricket that the IPL will never be able to replicate.
    What you are saying is likely true. It is the current scenario. I am not sure 10, 15 or 20 years from now it will be the same. Because a decade ago no one imagined that more money can be made outside of international cricket. Another key factor is how much do the India fans enjoy/follow IPL? Are the local bars full on game nights? Do people gather together to cheer etc? All this as the years go on will change the view of fans.

I feel that the IPL is only going to grow and grow at a faster pace than international cricket. In fact this is already happening as the Indian sponsors are putting more eggs in the IPL basket than in the international basket.

This is how I see it. You may see it differently.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Team India is always first priority for me and next RCB over any other sporting team on earth ..#MyOpinion

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianFan2018 View Post
    I started supporting RCB from year 1 and never cared who plays or not, it's just city based love we have for RCB.

Fans may not be emotional like international matches , but fans do seriously support IPL teams.
    I understand that your loyalty lies with RCB because it's your home city, but does the fact that not many bangalore-based players play from it affect your view of the team? Your captain who is the poster boy for the team is from Delhi, so do the Delhi Daredevils fans feel some sort of ownership over him? I've never been too much into club based sports so I've always found this scenario to be fascinating.

You should visit one of Bangalore Pubs during RCB match, it will be like carnival !
    I'd love to one day but not easy to get the visa .

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you are saying is likely true. It is the current scenario. I am not sure 10, 15 or 20 years from now it will be the same. Because a decade ago no one imagined that more money can be made outside of international cricket. Another key factor is how much do the India fans enjoy/follow IPL? Are the local bars full on game nights? Do people gather together to cheer etc? All this as the years go on will change the view of fans.

I feel that the IPL is only going to grow and grow at a faster pace than international cricket. In fact this is already happening as the Indian sponsors are putting more eggs in the IPL basket than in the international basket.

This is how I see it. You may see it differently.
    Aptly put, fans from outside India may not be able to connect; they don't need to as well, IPL is mainly focussing on Indian fans. All know where the treasure is in cricket economics ..with Indian Fans #Cheers

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am with you on that, i don't even like the nonsense 3 yearly mega auctions, keep the damn team together rather than breaking teams up like idiots.