Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not see the issue. Hindutva was also internationally banned by NHRC, along with USA and UK banning Modi. More so books on Hindutva were banned : CLICK HERE

Pakistan stays on the same list, allegedly, is news?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R3verse Swing View Post
    I do not see the issue. Hindutva was also internationally banned by NHRC, along with USA and UK banning Modi. More so books on Hindutva were banned : CLICK HERE

what are you talking about? how is, whatever you are linking, it relevant here? I just posted an update from Pak media about what Indian media has been reporting. Lots of posters thought Indian media was misreporting and once the dust settled down, Pak Govt is slowly releasing true story... I was just pointing out that it was wrong to attack the messenger without taking time to address the message

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubol123 View Post
    what are you talking about? how is, whatever you are linking, it relevant here? I just posted an update from Pak media about what Indian media has been reporting. Lots of posters thought Indian media was misreporting and once the dust settled down, Pak Govt is slowly releasing true story... I was just pointing out that it was wrong to attack the messenger without taking time to address the message
    Well the relevance is simple. Let's grant the notion that Pakistan is put on a watch list for funding Terrorism. It's no where near as putting an ideology on a BANNED list, along with its apologist leader - current Indian PM.

So Indians should think twice before celebrating.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    But but but @Lonewarrior says its not true.
    few Indians have some serious OCD issue with pakistan, dont have anything to do on the forum, only come here to troll or gloat about pakistan.
    i said in my previous posts that pakistan isnt on the list, yet. becoz the official source of FATF didnt mention any name. if they gonna add the country name in july ,so be it.
    as i said before many times, pakistan was on the grey list back in 2012-2015, so what the worse they will do this time ?
    now take a chill pill and find some negative news about pakistan on your favt Dawn to create another thread. Ok ?

The Griffins ....

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the relevance is simple. Let's grant the notion that Pakistan is put on a watch list for funding Terrorism. It's no where near as putting an ideology on a BANNED list, along with its apologist leader - current Indian PM.

So Indians should think twice before celebrating.

talk about clutching the straws.. man get out of your basement and understand how world perceives Pakistan. Anyway there is no point talking to someone who has no open mind to receive new ideas and opinions... Enjoy your day

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubol123 View Post
    talk about clutching the straws.. man get out of your basement and understand how world perceives Pakistan. Anyway there is no point talking to someone who has no open mind to receive new ideas and opinions... Enjoy your day
    You fail to understand the point, how the world perceived India yet you have Indian chest thumping in the thread? Celebrating for joy? Those who forget their past are condemned to repeat it. No wait . . .

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I find fascinating is how Indian posters expect news that is to materialise in June, as Gospel, from a Pakistani source. Kind of like saying India were going to win the CT17 before the final based on India media!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What I find fascinating is how Indian posters expect news that is to materialise in June, as Gospel, from a Pakistani source. Kind of like saying India were going to win the CT17 before the final based on India media!

Indians ki choti choti khushiya ,,

The Griffins ....

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewarrior View Post
    Indians ki choti choti khushiya ,,
    Tumko to wo bhi nahi milti. Cane bragging in this thread about Russian support. Now staring at a grey listing.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Khan bhai how was this stopped?
    we were going straight onto the black list. We have managed to get a reprieve till June. But its still a pathetic performance from our govt. but thats ok lets talk about Imrans new wife instead..

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.atimes.com/article/pakist...ror-financing/

+++
    With Pakistan set to be placed on the inter-governmental Financial Action Task Force’s “grey” list this June, following a round of farcical diplomacy in Paris last month, the country appears to be edging toward global banking isolation.

[...]

Farrukh Saleem says the financial backlash following an FATF grey-listing this time round would be a lot different. “It’s not the same world as it was 2012-2015,” he maintains. “Considering the penalty given to HBL, many financial institutions would be wary of investing in Pakistan. They won’t be able to bare the economic backlash of similar penalties, if all they’re making is up to US$10-20 million in the country.”

Salman Shah says the banking flaws in Pakistan have been well-exposed by the FATF report.

+++

I guess our Pakistani friends will now tell us that Asia Times is an Indian media outlet and are therefore lying?!

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread, I don't think it is a good sign for India that their closest neighbor is about to be placed in a black, grey or any list such as that.. I think Indians in general calling out Pakistanis for the sake of putting them down due to this is wrong, however voicing concern is fine... I am honestly starting to believe Pakistan's salvation will be through a Chinese take over, Chinese will form a strict anti-religious control in Pakistan which will clean up the mess that it is currently in, so things like CPEC may not be a bad idea from an Indian perspective afterall.

"Everything else seems so superfluous." ~ Albert Einstein on the Bhagavad-Gita

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    but thats ok lets talk about Imrans new wife instead..
    I didnt even know,,, Imran got married again recently??????????????????????

"Everything else seems so superfluous." ~ Albert Einstein on the Bhagavad-Gita

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Delhi,Bharat
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Gen Bajwa himself said that Pakistan has done enough,it's the world's turn to do more.So the world is doing more.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but but some pak poster say its nothing a issue .

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^ yup, still no issue.

The Griffins ....

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "No Issue".

Just like Baghdad Bob said "Vee are keeling the Umerikans in the streets of Baghdad".

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OoparCut View Post
    "No Issue".

Just like Baghdad Bob said "Vee are keeling the Umerikans in the streets of Baghdad".
    I am repeating it for our indian bros again, No Issue. trust me bro .

The Griffins ....

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typical pakistani mentality. Did we say islam is banned or pakistan is banned ? What do you mean hindustva banned ?? There is difference. Modi comes presently as world top 5 leaders in ranking.
    Many muslim countries like saudi arab ,iran and many more have given highest honour to modi. He even landed to pakistan without visa i guess.
    I know you guys have been taught this since birth about religions. But your opinion in the world is equal to the n.o discovered by indians as shunay...number zero....

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romali_rotti View Post
    This thread, I don't think it is a good sign for India that their closest neighbor is about to be placed in a black, grey or any list such as that.. I think Indians in general calling out Pakistanis for the sake of putting them down due to this is wrong, however voicing concern is fine... I am honestly starting to believe Pakistan's salvation will be through a Chinese take over, Chinese will form a strict anti-religious control in Pakistan which will clean up the mess that it is currently in, so things like CPEC may not be a bad idea from an Indian perspective afterall.
    I don't see why China would care about that. They just want the oil to flow smoothly from Gwadar to North West China.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    I don't see why China would care about that. They just want the oil to flow smoothly from Gwadar to North West China.
    Its actually in China's interests to sustain the Pakistani hostility to India - its a cheap investment that pays huge dividends for them. Too bad that Pakistani awaam and their future gets screwed in the process.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OoparCut View Post
    Its actually in China's interests to sustain the Pakistani hostility to India - its a cheap investment that pays huge dividends for them. Too bad that Pakistani awaam and their future gets screwed in the process.
    Even there they don't need to do anything. India and Pakistan are hostile by default.

China just needs black gold transiting via Pakistan, all said and done. Anything else is a bonus.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Even there they don't need to do anything. India and Pakistan are hostile by default.
    I don't want to put words in OoparCut's mouth, but I think what he's trying to say is if China stopped underwriting Pak's hostility to India, it will become increasingly difficult for Pak to maintain a hostile pasture towards India given the yawing gap in the size of economies, which is growing every day. So China very cleverly and selectively provides threshold-level support to Pak to keep the animosity going. It's done in the form of supplying arms, funding projects like CPEC (which help China more than they help Pak) and protecting Hafeez Saeed in the UN, etc. But it stops short of taking a stance when its own (China's) interest are at stake. For example, at FATF, China wants to play a leading role. India/US told China that you can't do that if you don't fall in line re. Pakistan, so China folded, and threw Pak under the bus.

Basically China is looking after its own interest, which it is fully entitled to. It cares two hoots about Pakistan, India, US or anyone else.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by English August View Post
    I don't want to put words in OoparCut's mouth, but I think what he's trying to say is if China stopped underwriting Pak's hostility to India, it will become increasingly difficult for Pak to maintain a hostile pasture towards India given the yawing gap in the size of economies, which is growing every day. So China very cleverly and selectively provides threshold-level support to Pak to keep the animosity going. It's done in the form of supplying arms, funding projects like CPEC (which help China more than they help Pak) and protecting Hafeez Saeed in the UN, etc. But it stops short of taking a stance when its own (China's) interest are at stake. For example, at FATF, China wants to play a leading role. India/US told China that you can't do that if you don't fall in line re. Pakistan, so China folded, and threw Pak under the bus.

Basically China is looking after its own interest, which it is fully entitled to. It cares two hoots about Pakistan, India, US or anyone else.
    No bro, we are just jealous Indians who don't like how "Iron Brother" is helping Pakistan bro.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Nothing surprising. Until Pakistan Army changes their way, the civilians will continue to suffer.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nawaz Sharif statement just 2 weeks before June rings any bell guys? Traitor will do everything to save his money and divert media attention when we all know he is going jail soon for all the billions he made

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mian View Post
    Nawaz Sharif statement just 2 weeks before June rings any bell guys? Traitor will do everything to save his money and divert media attention when we all know he is going jail soon for all the billions he made
    but but its the army's fault for everything...

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    but but its the army's fault for everything...
    True!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan is putting the finishing touches to its action plan with proposed measures for combating money laundering and terror financing with the Paris-based Financial Action Task Force (FATF) to chart its way forward once it is placed on the grey list by the global watchdog in June.

A compliance report has been submitted by the government to the Asia-Pacific Group (APG) — a sub-group within FATF — detailing the steps taken thus far and those that will be taken in the future to bring Pakistan’s financial, regulatory and legal landscape into compliance with the watchdog’s requirements.

On Friday, a meeting was convened at the Foreign Office to review the proposed actions which are to be discussed with APG joint working group in Bangkok next week. This was the last in a series of meetings taking place within the government as officials race to meet the June deadline by when Pakistan will be placed on the FATF grey list.

A senior official in the finance ministry told Dawn that a delegation from Pakistan would depart within the next few days for consultations with the APG’s Joint Working Group in Bangkok. That meeting will discuss the steps proposed by Pakistan to be taken after June to exit the grey list. The report has been drawn up by the Financial Monitoring Unit, a department housed in the State Bank of Pakistan, according to sources with knowledge of the matter.

Preparations under way for next week Bangkok talks as govt term nears end

The FATF earlier sent an email to the SBP highlighting its concerns over the amnesty scheme introduced by the government in its last budget. The email points out that Pakistan is required to inform FATF before announcing any such scheme. To address their concerns, Pakistan included a provision to specify that ‘proceeds of crime are not eligible’ for the amnesty scheme.

The senior official confirmed to Dawn that the placement of Pakistan on the grey list was set to commence in June. He said the action plan drawn up by the government would set conditions for Pakistan to meet in a period of one year. None of those working on the matter and contacted by Dawn were willing to discuss the details of the action plan. “Whatever conditions are being finalised, we will implement it administratively,” one source said.

The details of action plan remained under negotiation with the FATF and set to be finalised by next month, the official said.

Pakistan had been removed from the FATF grey list in February 2015 due to improved measures to combat twin menaces of money laundering and terror financing. The key point at that time was the passage of the Anti-Money Laundering Act, 2010 into law.

‘Grey list is a political question’
    When approached to seek comment on the issue, Finance Minister Miftah Ismail told Dawn that his government had already taken several administrative steps complying with global standards to counter money laundering and terror financing.

He said Pakistan’s law to counter money laundering and terror financing was the most effective and strong legislation in the region. He said Pakistan would take all administrative measures as suggested and agreed under the proposed action plan.

However, the minister said it would be up to the FATF to remove Pakistan from the grey list or not. “It will be a political question,” he said.

“Since then, we have held several meetings to review progress achieved on all those areas listed by FATF,” an official source privy to these development told Dawn. While the financial monitoring unit had so far generated more than 300 reports, no terror-related link was established in any of these reports, the source added.

Under the reports, the only irregularity identified was the element of tax evasion. The investigations into the cases has also stopped owing to a court decision that struck down of the SRO that gave investigative powers to the intelligence and investigation department of Inland Revenue for anti-money laundering inquiries.

The proposed action plan will also include capacity building of law enforcing agencies to pursue such cases. The FATF wants increased enforcement against all proscribed organisations and individuals including all those organisations operating under new names, vigilance of non-profit organisations and enhancing capacity of the law enforcing agencies.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1408604/go...ds-before-june

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sach zubaan per aa he jata he beat this nooras your own leader is saying your own ministry was responsible.

TalentSpotterPk: I pray PanamaLeak sink Sharif ship forever we dont want this pseudo democracy

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    ISLAMABAD: The National Security Committee (NSC) on Friday reaffirmed its commitment to cooperate with an international watchdog tasked with countering illicit financing, the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), for addressing shortcomings in the country’s anti-money laundering and counter-terror financing regimes.

“The committee reaffirmed the commitment of the country to work with FATF and other international organisations in achieving common goals and shared objectives,” a statement issued by the Prime Minister Office on the NSC meeting said.

It was the first NSC meeting that was chaired by caretaker Prime Minister Nasirul Mulk.

Finance minister briefs National Security Committee about upcoming meeting of global money-laundering watchdog

Pakistan would be placed on the FATF ‘grey list’ because of certain shortcomings identified by the watchdog. However, before Pakistan is put on the list an action plan has to be negotiated outlining the steps the country would be required to take. The action plan has been in the works for weeks now, but it is yet to be adopted.

The NSC approved the presentation of the proposed plan to the FATF at its upcoming meeting.

The NSC statement effectively constitutes the high-level political commitment that FATF requires from the country to implement the legal, regulatory and operational reforms needed.

Finance Minister Shamshad Akhtar briefed the NSC about the upcoming FATF meeting in Paris and the measures, both administrative and legal, taken so far by the country to meet the watchdog’s requirements.

“While reviewing various actions taken towards fulfilling country’s international responsibilities under the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) framework, the meeting expressed satisfaction over the progress made so far. The committee directed that the progress should be shared with the FATF Secretariat in the upcoming meeting,” the NSC statement said.

Earlier, Pakistani officials had said at a background briefing that some of the demands being made by the FATF were unreasonable. Besides the main concern about the freedom with which Hafiz Saeed and his organisations were operating until a few months ago, the FATF has expressed concerns about the integrity of Pakistan’s overall financial system, the inadequacy of monitoring and regulatory mechanisms and the abysmally low conviction rate on unlawful transactions.

The US and some of its allies like the UK, France and Germany had sponsored the move for Pakistan’s inclusion in the grey list. Washington, it is believed, had done so to pressure Islamabad into meeting its demands vis-ŕ-vis the region, where the two are suffering from a serious strategic misalignment. Lately the two sides are making a fresh attempt at reconciling their differences and reaching a common ground.

There has been a round of telephonic conversations between Prime Minister Mulk and US Vice President Pence and between Army Chief Gen Qamar Bajwa and Secretary of State Michael Pompeo over the past couple of days. The conversations had focused on advancing bilateral ties, supporting the peace and reconciliation process in Afghanistan, and dealing with the terrorist groups in the region.

“The prime minister also shared with the committee members contents of his telephonic discussion with US Vice President Mike Pence on 07 June 2018,” said the NSC statement.

Besides Mr Mulk and Ms Akhtar, the meeting was attended by Foreign and Defence Minister Abdullah Hussain Haroon, Interior Minister Azam Khan, Law Minister Syed Ali Zafar, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Gen Zubair Mahmood Hayat, Chief of the Army Staff Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa, Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Zafar Mahmood Abbasi, Chief of the Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Mujahid Anwar Khan, National Security Adviser retired Lt Gen Nasser Khan Janjua and Director General of the Inter-Services Intelligence Lt Gen Naveed Mukhtar.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1412980/to...mitted-to-fatf

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finance minister to defend Pakistan as FATF weighs placement on blacklist

The country’s interim Finance Minister Dr Shamshad Akhtar is set to defend Pakistan in Paris where the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) will decide after a six-day meeting whether the country should be placed on the blacklist of countries that financially aid terrorism.

Currently placed on the ‘grey list’, Pakistan faces the prospect of being placed on the blacklist which would have the country included in the international sanctions list. In February, the country narrowly escaped placement, but a senior official of the FATF confirmed that Pakistan will be placed on the watch-list coming June.

The delegation, including officials from the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA), State Bank of Pakistan (SBP), finance ministry and the Financial Monitoring Unit (FMU), will inform the anti-money laundering and terror financing watchdog of the action plan drafted to avoid sanctions.

Amid increasing global pressure to move decisively against proscribed organisations, Pakistan reviewed its new draft action plan for submission to global bodies working on curbing money laundering and terror financing.

The action plan was reviewed just two days before the filing of comments to the observations raised by the Asia Pacific Group (APG) on money laundering.

The APG and the Financial Action Task Force’s (FATF) recommendations to curb money laundering and terror-financing were first discussed in a federal cabinet meeting. The proposed action plan was then reviewed in a meeting chaired by Dr Akhtar.

The FATF decided, in February, to place Pakistan back on its terror financing watch-list of countries that financially aid terrorism with effect from June but Islamabad believed the decision was politically motivated that may affect its future cooperation.

Despite initially agreeing to Pakistan’s viewpoint, the FATF Plenary decided to place the country on the grey list from June, confirmed a senior government official who had attended FATF meetings in Paris, France. Pakistan was previously on the grey list from 2012 to 2015.

The federal government does not see any major impact of the FATF’s decision on its economy and the country’s then-de facto finance minister said that during 2012 to 2015 period, Pakistan signed agreements with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and issued sovereign bonds in international capital markets.

Pakistan’s financial system was strong and its anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism financing regimes were among the most stringent in the world, said Dr Miftah Ismail earlier.

The decision is seen as being against the norms of the FATF and its sister organisations, as the country’s Mutual Evaluation – a process of assessing levels of implementation of FATF recommendations, was currently undergoing.

The Mutual Evaluations also provide an in-depth description and analysis of each country’s system for preventing criminal abuse of the financial system.

The decision to place a member country on the FATF list is usually taken in light of the Mutual Evaluation, so FATF’s latest move suggests that Pakistan was falling victim to international politics, government officials said while requesting anonymity.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1741872...ent-blacklist/
    Last edited by Arham_PakFan; 25th June 2018 at 18:46.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    349 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I believe that the bottom line is that the Trump administration wants Pakistani Army/ISI to stop aiding the Haqqani which kills US soldiers in Afghanistan. Trump's very first tweet of 2018 expressed this desire. Previous Presidents didn't care about the lives of US soldiers enough to act, but apparently Trump is different.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Pakistan enacts ambitious reforms to comply with FATF

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has committed to an ambitious 26-point action plan spanning a period of 15 months to avoid being blacklisted by the Financial Action Task Force.

The plan envisages choking the financing of terrorist groups like Da’ish and the Haqqani network.

The FATF Plenary – the global intergovernmental body working to combat money laundering and terrorist financing, on Tuesday began discussions on the action plan, said sources in the Ministry of Finance.

A formal announcement about Pakistan’s fate is expected on Friday. This is for the first time that all 26 actions have been published in detail.

The plan that the International Cooperation Review Group (ICRG) of Asia Pacific Group (APG) submitted to the FATF Plenary also requires Pakistani authorities to proactively cooperate with counterpart bilateral agencies to choke financing to Da’ish, Al Qaeda, Jamaatud Dawa and its affiliate FIF, LeT, JeM, the Haqqani Network and persons affiliated with the Taliban.

The sources said that the plan was quite ambitious and added that the country was committed to proving to the world that it was ready to go an extra mile to curb money laundering, despite its reservations that the plan was politically motivated.

“Pakistan will have to deliver on the first goal by January next year and complete all the 26 actions by September 2019,” the sources explained.

In February 2018, the FATF approved the nomination of Pakistan for monitoring under its International Cooperation Review Group (ICRG) commonly known as Grey List.

If the FATF endorses the 26-point Action Plan, it will formally announce to place Pakistan on the list. In case the FATF rejects the Plan, Pakistan will be on FATF’s Public Statement, being called the Blacklist.

The ICRG of the APG has identified four key areas of concerns, including deficiencies in the supervision of Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Counter Terrorism Financing regimes, cross-border illicit movement of currency by terrorist groups, progress on terrorism financing investigation and prosecution and implementation of the United Nations Security Council resolutions 1267 and 1373, for curbing terror financing.

The sources said that the maximum number of conditions – nine to be precise – take into account the concerns of the UNSC resolutions, followed by eight commitments to address concerns regarding terrorism financing prosecution, four are about curbing currency movement across the border and five recommendations relate to improvement in the supervision mechanisms of banks and companies.

Concern Area 1

During various reviews, the global bodies found deficiencies in supervision and enforcement of the AML and the CFT controls by financial institutions, including money service businesses. The ICRG also found deficiencies in imposing sanctions against financial institutions for AML/CFT violations.

However, Pakistan informed the FATF that it imposed roughly Rs1.7 billion in penalties since 2015 on 31 banks for violating the AML and CFT regimes.

“Also, Pakistani banks are no longer providing financial services to designated entities and individuals,” the sources said.

Concern 2

“Lack of progress on terrorism financing investigations and prosecutions, including the necessary coordination with provincial authorities remain the key concern of the global bodies,” the sources said.

They said the ICRG assessment was that Pakistan did not demonstrate cooperation between the federal and provincial authorities to prosecute terrorism financing commensurate with its terrorism financing risks.

Its assessment was that terror financing risks in Pakistan were high but Pakistan has not provided any information on how it assesses these risks. It has also not provided details on whether the decline in terrorist attacks has any bearing on the increase or decrease in terrorism financing risks.

To address those concerns Pakistan has committed that by January 2019, it will identify, assess and understand both domestic and transnational terrorism financing risks to guide such investigations.

It will also improve inter-agency coordination, including between provincial and federal authorities on combating financing risks.

By January, Pakistan will start proactively initiating financial inquiries of terrorist groups and their members.

By September 2019, Pakistan will address the key concern of identifying and investigating the widest range of terrorism financing activities like the collection, movement or use of funds by September next year.

It will give special focus to curb cash smuggling, narcotics trafficking, misuse of non-profit organisations, particularly funding of the terrorist groups including Da’ish, Al Qaeda, JuD, Faleh-e-Insaniat Foundation, Lashkar-e-Taiba, Jesh-e-Mohammad, Haqqani Network and persons affiliated with the Taliban.

“While giving a big commitment, Pakistan has assured the world that it will proactively request and provide international cooperation in cases of targeting, investigating and prosecuting terrorist financing cases,” the sources said.

“The country will also demonstrate that it has included police-to-police, customs-to-customs, Financial Investigation Unit-to-Unit and formal cooperation in the Mutual Legal Assistance regime,” the sources said.

In yet another important promise, which will address the US concerns, Pakistan will also demonstrate that terrorism financing investigations and prosecutions target designated persons and entities like Da’ish, AQ, JuD, FiF, LeT, JeM, HQN and persons affiliated with the Taliban.

More importantly by May, Pakistan will show that terrorism financing prosecutions successfully result in effective, proportionate and dissuasive sanctions against natural and legal persons convicted of terrorism financing offences.

It will also proactively provide international cooperation in cases of targeting, investigating and prosecuting terrorism financing cases.

The sources said that Pakistan has committed that by January 2019 it will demonstrate that terrorism financing risks are properly identified, assessed and understood by the State Bank of Pakistan and the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan and this includes obtaining up-to-date and region-specific risk information from law-enforcement agencies.

By May next year, Pakistan will also conduct ongoing outreach to financial institutions to promote a clear understanding of their AML and CFT obligations and will also demonstrate that supervisory activities are applied on a risk-sensitive basis to banks and exchange companies.

“By May it will also have to show the world that it has imposed penalties for such violations of the AML and the CFT regimes,” the sources said.

By September, Pakistan will be required to show that after these remedial measures the banks are compliant.

Concern 3

The global bodies also showed concerns over lack of measures to prevent illicit cross-border transportation of currency, and lack of cooperation with the customs on preventing illicit cross-border movement of cash.

“The global body’s assessment was that there was a serious risk of bulk cash smuggling across the borders, including related to the existence and operation of UN-designated individuals and groups,” the sources said.

Pakistan has committed that within six months it will make sure that the nature of risks of cash couriers being used for terrorism financing are fully understood and taken care of.

“Within 15 months, it will implement stringent cross-border currency controls at all ports of entry, including applying effective, proportionate and dissuasive sanctions when there are instances of false declaration or failure to declare,” the sources said.

Concern 4

The sources said that the ICRG also showed concerns about lack of implementation of targeted financial sanctions under the UNSC Resolutions 1267 and 1373.

The ICRG’s concern was that Pakistan was not able to freeze the property of UN-designated groups. The ICRG’s views were that Pakistan needed to demonstrate that it was applying administrative sanctions against all UN terrorist groups.

The sources said that the ICRG also wanted that Pakistan should deprive the UN-listed entities, operating charities and network of social services of funds and resources.

The sources said Pakistan has committed that in six months it will address concerns regarding delays in the freezing of assets and prevent the raising and moving of funds by the UN-designated persons.

In almost one year, the risk assessment-based guidelines will be issued and duly enforced to stop banks and other financial institutions from indulging in financing to those organisations.

By January next year, Pakistan will publish updated lists of persons and entities proscribed under the Anti-Terrorism Act and the UN-designated entities.

It will also show to the world within a year that Pakistani financial institutions take immediate actions against designated persons and entities. This includes systematic screening against their customer base and ongoing transaction monitoring.

Pakistan has also committed that supervisory activities are applied on a risk-sensitive basis to financial institutions. It will also demonstrate effective implementation of TFS against the assets of 1267 and 1373-designated persons and entities and their affiliates including Da’ish, AQ, FiF, JuD, LeT, JeM, HQN and persons affiliated with the Taliban.

Pakistan will also prevent the raising and moving of funds and curb activities designed to evade effective implementation.

The sources said that Pakistan will also show that facilities and services owned or controlled by designated persons and entities are deprived of their resources and their usage.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1743452...s-comply-fatf/

Debut
    May 2006
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    I believe that the bottom line is that the Trump administration wants Pakistani Army/ISI to stop aiding the Haqqani which kills US soldiers in Afghanistan. Trump's very first tweet of 2018 expressed this desire. Previous Presidents didn't care about the lives of US soldiers enough to act, but apparently Trump is different.
    Pakistan was on the list earlier in this decade. Doesn't sound like this list is very important if Indians didn't know Pakistan was on it.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsan17 View Post
    Pakistan was on the list earlier in this decade. Doesn't sound like this list is very important if Indians didn't know Pakistan was on it.
    If its not important why so much hue and cry in Pakistan over it?

Debut
    May 2006
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its not important why so much hue and cry in Pakistan over it?
    Because Pakistani media whips up whatever it can. One media outlet is against one party, another against another party, etc. So invariably they make a mountain of every mole hill. Pakistan is not like India where the media has been proven multiple times to be self-censoring and actively goes out of its way to ensure little to no news against Modi is reported. BBC reported on this as well recently: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-44280188

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    LMAO, anyone who thinks trump cares for anyone but himself has to be the biggest idiot in the entire galaxy

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WASHINGTON: The Financial Action Task Force (FATF) decided to keep Pakistan on its grey list following a meeting on money laundering in Paris on Wednesday.

According to details, Pakistan’s interim Finance Minister Shamshad Akhtar presented a strong case during the meeting, pleading Pakistan’s case to remove its name from the FATF grey list.

The minister apprised the anti-terror financing body of measures that country has taken to combat money laundering, terrorist financing and to eliminate the terrorism from its soil.

The US motion, to have Pakistan added to the “grey list” of countries was reportedly backed by Britain, France and Germany.

It was revealed that FATF finalised this decision asserting the country failed to take necessary measures against terror financing on its soil.

A Topline research report said, “the meeting will conclude with the third and final Plenary meeting on 27-29 Jun 2018, where they will officially place Pakistan on the ‘Improving Global Anti Money Laundering (AML)/ Countering Financing of Terrorism (CFT) compliance’ list also known as the ‘grey’ list’.”

This list comprises of jurisdictions with strategic AML/CFT deficiencies for which they have developed an action plan with the FATF.

Previously, a local media house reported a 26-point action plan has been designed spanning a period of 15 months to avoid being blacklisted by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF).

The idea of the plan being passed is to stop the financing of terrorist groups like Da’ish and the Haqqani network.

Moreover, the discussion on the action plan began by the global intergovernmental body working to combat money laundering and terrorist financing.

The plan that the International Cooperation Review Group (ICRG) of Asia Pacific Group (APG) submitted to the FATF Plenary also requires Pakistani authorities to proactively cooperate with counterpart bilateral agencies.

According to reports, the Ministry of Finance stated that Pakistan will have to deliver on the first goal by January next year and complete all the 26 actions by September 2019.

In February 2018, the FATF approved the nomination of Pakistan for monitoring under its International Cooperation Review Group (ICRG) commonly known as Grey List.

The ICRG of the APG has identified four key areas of concerns, including deficiencies in the supervision of Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Counter-Terrorism Financing regimes, cross-border illicit movement of currency by terrorist groups, progress on terrorism financing investigation and prosecution and implementation of the United Nations Security Council resolutions 1267 and 1373, for curbing terror financing.

It was further reported that the number of conditions taken into account are the concerns of the UNSC resolutions.

This is followed by eight commitments to address the issues regarding terrorism financing prosecution, four are about curbing currency movement across the border and five recommendations relate to improvement in the supervision mechanisms of banks and companies.

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/201...wart-decision/

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    349 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsan17 View Post
    I know Pakistan was on this list earlier.

This is only one of the many different actions Trump is taking to pressure the Pakistani Army to stop supporting the Haqqanis.

With Pakistan headed for a foreign exchange crisis, believe me you don't want to be on this list.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cabinet okays plan to curb terror financing

ISLAMABAD: The federal cabinet is learnt to have approved a plan to formulate stricter laws and strengthen institutions to curb terrorism financing, official documents showed.

Pakistan needs to comply with a 26-point Financial Action Task Force (FATF) action plan to get off the task force’s ‘grey list’ over the next 15 months.

The plan was approved last month in a meeting chaired by caretaker Prime Minister Nasirul Mulk, official documents showed.
    According to documents, the federal cabinet authorised the Ministry of Finance to bolster the Financial Monitoring Unit (FMU). The ministry was also empowered to suggest changes in the Anti-Money Laundering Ordinance of 2010 and Foreign Exchange Regulation Act of 1947, increasing punishments and penalties to curb currency smuggling, one of four main areas of FATF concerns.

Sources said that Pakistan’s existing institutional framework was incapable of enforcing the action plan that needed to be implemented by September next year.

The action plan’s implementation will determine if Pakistan remains on the FATF ‘grey list’.

Nine of the conditions highlight concerns expressed in the UN Security Council resolutions. Eight more relate to commitments addressing concerns regarding prosecution terrorism financing cases while four are about curbing cross-border currency movements and five recommendations relate to improving the supervision mechanisms of banks and companies.

The country would have to implement all conditions within 15 months. Originally, FATF wanted to allow just nine months for full compliance.

The cabinet was informed that the FMU was working below its capacity because of a shortage of staff to oversee policy implementation relating to anti-money laundering and countering financing terrorism.

The finance ministry had requested the cabinet to allow it to create more positions besides filling the existing posts. The cabinet allowed to appoint a full-time director-general of FMU, hire more people and set up its sub-office in Islamabad.

FMU is based in Karachi and an executive director of the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) is looking after the DG’s performance. The FMU is responsible for enforcing the AML and CFT framework and coordinating with global bodies on implementing FATF recommendations.

This week, the National Counter Terrorism Authority (NACTA) also expressed its inability to prepare the National Risk Assessment Report because of capacity constraints.

FIA and NACTA will now jointly prepare the report that is critical for documenting actions taken by Pakistan to curb terror financing.

Upgrading of border posts was allowed by the cabinet to enhance vigilance and deal with currency smuggling and illegal movement of people across borders.

Following the cabinet’s nod, the FMU has sent a draft bill to the ministry of finance to amend the AML Ordinance of 2010 and Foreign Exchange Regulation Act of 1947, making these laws more stringent with stiffer penalties.

These bills will be moved in the Parliament after the new government comes into power.

According to the existing law, any person committing the offence of money laundering was liable to serve an imprisonment term of up to 10 years and pay a fine which may extend to Rs1 million and forfeiture of property.

It has also been decided to set up a General Committee headed by the Secretary Finance and make the Inter-ministerial National Executive Committee on Money Laundering headed by the Finance Minister more effective to address AML challenges.

Another proposal was to set up a national steering group to ensure timely implementation of policies and FATF-related actions.

The federal cabinet was informed that a number of milestones on the FATF’s 26-point Action Plan were related to provincial police and home departments, which also required coordination with the Ministry of Interior, FIA and other authorities concerned.

It was also decided to improve the coordination between the federal and provincial authorities to enforce the action plan within the stipulated timeframe.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1773655...ror-financing/

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Pakistan asked to make terror financing, money laundering extraditable offences

ISLAMABAD: The Asia Pacific Group (APG) on Money Laundering on Wednesday urged Pakistan to enact appropriate laws, enabling local officials to act upon requests of foreign countries to freeze illegal assets and making terrorism financing and money laundering extraditable offences.

Pointing out deficiencies in Pakistan’s legal framework, the visiting APG team pointed out that this could hamper Pakistan’s effective response on requests of mutual legal assistance by foreign countries in money laundering cases, officials said.

Stressing the need for strengthening domestic legal framework by October, members of the APG team an on-site inspection would be carried out by the regional body after this period.

It also urged the authorities concerned to give predicate offence monitoring powers to the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP) and National Accountability Bureau (NAB).

The group’s other areas of concerns were activities by non-profit organizations, narcotics trafficking and proceeds of crimes.

The APG team is visiting Islamabad to assess legal and administrative arrangements for implementing the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) recommendations for curbing money laundering and terrorism financing.

The team comprises officials from the United States, Turkey, China and the United Kingdom.

Officials from the US Treasury and UK’s New Scotland Yard are part of the delegation.

Discussions are taking place on technical grounds where Pakistani authorities are trying to address the APG’s concerns.

During its third day of visit, the AGP team discussed the status of implementation of the FATF recommendations on supervision of financial institutions, challenges posed by beneficial ownerships and trusts, the targeted financial sanctions against terrorism and proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and mutual legal assistance and extradition.

After discussions, the AGP will prepare the second draft of technical compliance report before October, which can be improved upon during the mutual evaluation on-site visit, scheduled for October.

The FATF has already placed Pakistan on grey list and the APG’s Mutual Evaluation report can play a critical role in retaining or removing the country from the list after September next year.

Pakistani authorities were of the view that each department had its own mutual legal assistance arrangement, which could meet the needs of other countries. However, they said that this did not fully persuade the APG team.

Pakistan is also not a signatory to mutual legal assistance treaties with countries such as the US, the UK, Canada, the United Arab Emirates, Malaysia and Thailand.

Officials said that the APG team also expressed concerns about implementing recommendations on extradition of criminals involved in money laundering and terrorism financing.

The FATF makes it mandatory for member countries to deny safe havens to individuals charged with financing of terrorism, terrorist acts or terrorist organisations.

Border posts to be upgraded under FATF rules

Various departments gave presentations to the APG on their role in curbing money laundering and terrorism financing.

The visiting experts were largely satisfied with the performance of Anti Narcotics Force, SECP and NAB. But they sought improvements in the skill sets of the Financial Monitoring Unit and National Counter Terrorism Authority (NACTA).

Discussions were also held on effective supervision of financial institutions to ensure that the secrecy laws did not hamper implementation of the FATF recommendations.

The visiting experts also stressed that beneficial ownerships should not be used to protect the proceeds of crimes.

They also discussed Pakistan’s legal and regulatory regimes on beneficial ownerships and trusts, which could be used for laundering money.

Pakistani authorities are learnt to have informed the APG team about measures that taken by the country to comply with the United Nations Security Council resolution 1267 and 1373, targeting financial sanctions against terrorists.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1781828...able-offences/

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    ISLAMABAD: Not impressed with the progress made so far, a delegation of the Asia Pacific Group (APG) has asked Pakistan to do more and get its house in order so that it may get out of the grey list of the Paris-based Financial Action Task Force (FATF).

Apparently the group members found the legal framework insufficient, and the institutional arrangements weak. According to sources, the delegation feared that the set-up installed for scrutinising the activities of non-profit organisations, brokerage houses, exchange companies and donations of corporate entities — registered under the companies act — was not robust enough.

The sources said that the APG believed that even in areas where the legal framework appeared vigorous, the implementation mechanism was not geared to track down financial flows of the entities in question, because the agencies involved were not well-connected. This weakness was prominent in real estate brokerages where large business transactions remained outside the ambit of legal records.

Team of Asia Pacific Group asks authorities to issue deadlines for removal of weaknesses

A team of the Securities & Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP) reported to the APG that brokerage houses were largely documented though real estate dealers and their operations were generally outside its area of regulation. The APG also noticed shortcomings in commodity trading — and the effectiveness of laws against money laundering through cross-verification of service providers.

ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD

The sources said the delegation asked the relevant authorities to issue deadlines for resolving the flagged weaknesses so that the problems could be remedied and future performance evaluations be made on the proposed matrix. The authorities would also have to properly record the number of donation boxes placed by religious and other organisations at restaurants and business centres among other places. Besides, all currency and real estate dealers would have to record every transaction — both small and large.

The purpose of the mutual evaluation onsite visit is to assess the effectiveness of Pakistan’s Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Financing of Terrorism (AML/CFT) regime under FATF methodology. The visiting team included Ian Collins of the United Kingdom’s Scotland Yard, James Prussing of the United States Department of the Treasury, Ashraf Abdullah of the Financial Intelligence Unit of the Maldives, Bobby Wahyu Hernawan of the Indonesian Ministry of Finance, Gong Jingyan of the Peoples Bank of China and Mustafa Necmeddin Oztop of the Turkish Ministry of Justice.

The ministries of interior, finance, foreign affairs and law besides the SECP, the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP), the National Counter-Terrorism Authority (Nacta), the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA), the Federal Board of Revenue, the National Accountability Bureau, the Anti-Narcotics Force, the Financial Monitoring Unit, the Central Directorate of National Savings and provincial counter-terrorism departments would remain available for briefings and explanations.

In June 2018, Pakistan made a high-level political commitment to work with the FATF and the APG to strengthen its AML/CFT regime and to address its strategic counter-terrorism financing-related deficiencies by implementing a 10-point action plan. The successful implementation of the plan and its verification by the APG is a prerequisite for the FATF to remove Pakistan from its grey list.

Earlier in August, the APG — as part of the mutual evaluation — had identified a series of deficiencies in Pakistan’s AML/CFT mechanisms. By the end of September next year, Pakistan must comply with the 10-point action plan it committed to with the FATF or else it will fall into the black list.

The authorities are required to upgrade agencies and their human resource assets to be able to handle foreign requests to block terror financing and freeze illegal assets. The authorities are working on strengthening laws for extradition of those involved in terror financing and money laundering on requests from FATF-member countries.

By January next year, Pakistan will identify and assess domestic and international terror financing risks to and from its system to strengthen investigations and improve inter-agency cooperation, the FIA, the SBP, the SECP, banks, the interior department as well as all other associated federal and provincial agencies.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1438240/in...e-on-fatf-list