I got interested in watching cricket in 1996 when my uncle used to say that Kapil Dev was a great bowler who spoiled his career for chasing Richard headlee record.
Moving Forward 15 years, What a wonderful farewell it would have been for SRT if he retired after WC final on his home ground when he was at peak of his game(2nd highest run scorer in the tournament).
Had Dravid retired an year earlier he would have had a career test average almost touching 60.
One of the greatest test cricket opening batsmen Virender Sehwag had to retire unceremoniously after remaining dropped for more than a year.
I believe same will be the fate of our heroes like Yuvraj Singh, Harbhajan and Gambhir.
And now we are seeing another living legend MSD mercilessly spoiling his legacy by continuing to play international cricket for no rhyme or reason. In fact his doggedness to continue playing looks specifically more selfish as unlike in previous cases their is no dearth in talent pool and he is blocking place for Pants,Samson etc.
On a separate note WC 2019 is upon us Indian selectors must try following players in ODIs before it:
1. Sarfaraz Khan(will be next Yuvi who wins you matches in lower order)
2. Shubnam Gill
3. Khalil Ahmed(Fastest bowler in indian domestic circuit and a left armer)
4. Kamlesh Nagarkoti(an option if Pandya fails)
If india botches this time it will be really sad because it will not be due to lack of ability