Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    775 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

[REPORT] Pakistan Cricket Board eyes hosting 2021 ICC Champions Trophy

Will India's loss be Pakistan's gain? Well, one is not yet sure if that is true but it could end up being the Pakistan Cricket Board's (PCB) gain. The PCB is now making a serious pitch for the Champions Trophy that is expected to be taken away from India on tax-related issues.

With no indications of obtaining tax waivers for the global tournaments, particularly for the Champions Trophy in 2021— more on the format later — the International Cricket Council (ICC) is looking to host the event in the same time zone as India's and the PCB is trying to make most of the vacuum.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is currently in no position to commit to the ICC about obtaining the tax exemptions and the world body is now seriously thinking of exploring other avenues, rather other venues. As is well known now, the ICC has not managed to obtain the required waivers for the 2016 World Twenty20 despite serious efforts from its officials. ICC Chief Executive Dave Richardson and its general manager Campbell Jamieson met Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in Delhi six months back but the meeting, evidently, has not cut much ice.

May host in UAE

When approached for confirmation, the PCB leadership did not offer a comment but those in the direct knowledge of the ICC thinking say the PCB offer will be considered seriously. Where the matches will be held is an important issue as Pakistan still is a no-go zone for the world teams but one is talking of an event that is more than three years away. The PCB, one understands, will have the option of hosting the allotted games in the United Arab Emirates - as it has been doing for the last nine years -- and it could push for a few Pakistan games in Lahore.

Tax exemption is not a problem in the UAE but if the matches were to be played in Sharjah, Dubai and Abu Dhabi, who should be considered as hosts - Pakistan or UAE? The ICC has not yet gone into such technicalities but is looking at alternatives away from India. It will finalise on this in the next few months and the PCB offer is very much under consideration.

Finally one more point: If the ICC moves the Champions Trophy away from India, the decision could impact on the 2023 World Cup, which is also allotted to India.

50-50 or T20?

Now for the format. The ICC is still treating it as Champions Trophy in 2021 but behind the scenes, options are being explored if the tournament can be converted from the 50-over event to a Twenty20 championship. The reason behind the mooted move is monitory.

The ICC, which had agreed to increase the BCCI's share by $ 115 million ($ 405 million in total), is looking at resources to get the extra bucks. It had also committed 40 million each to new full members Ireland and Afghanistan and the current flow of revenue is apparently not adding up to the required number. One way to increase the revenue flow is by converting the Champions Trophy into a World Twenty20 which could boost the cash flow.

The value of a global Twenty20 tournament is almost double the value of the 50-over Champions Trophy. Should that happen, then the tournament will be held in 2022, not in 2021, as there is a World Twenty20 tournament in 2020, in Australia.

http://ahmedabadmirror.indiatimes.co...w/62906735.cms

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4053 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Yes, time to be obvious. Not going to happen, do not think about it. Full marks for the high ambitions though.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah probably wont happen but nothing wrong in trying.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loool impossible.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a fine line between having high ambitions and being straight out delusional.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I remember how the Sri Lankan and Bangladesh Cricket board screwed the PCB back then in 2010-11 when the ICC made a decision to take away all the games away from Pakistan. The Sri Lankans and Bangladeshi's instead of siding with the PCB, lobbied very hard to get the game number of games taken away from Pakistan to be played in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh instead.

The funny thing is a few months later when the Sri Lankans ran into massive debt and went to the BCCI with a massive begging bowl for help, they had the nerve to blame the last minute burden of hosting Pakistan's games in Sri Lanka for their problems.

I hope the PCB learns from this and does not make the same mistake.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Yes, time to be obvious. Not going to happen, do not think about it. Full marks for the high ambitions though.
    The PSL was once a high ambition as well, every high achievement starts with high ambition

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4053 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    The PSL was once a high ambition as well, every high achievement starts with high ambition
    Notwithstanding my admiration for the high ambition, establishing a T20 league was always imminent, but it was delayed by a good 3-4 years due to incompetent management. It needed a man of action like Sethi to get the ball rolling.

Unfortunately, hosting an ICC tournament as early as 2021 is not analogous to the formation of the PSL.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Notwithstanding my admiration for the high ambition, establishing a T20 league was always imminent, but it was delayed by a good 3-4 years due to incompetent management. It needed a man of action like Sethi to get the ball rolling.

Unfortunately, hosting an ICC tournament as early as 2021 is not analogous to the formation of the PSL.
    I have full faith that a man of Najam Sethi's acuman, charisma can get it done if allowed to be PCB chairman till then. He hasn't failed on any front as of now.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can have ambitions for an icc tournament in 2030 in Pakistan, but even then those ambitions don't seem fruitful. I expect it'll be between 2040 to 2050 by the time it would seriously be considered, if ever that is.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4053 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    I have full faith that a man of Najam Sethi's acuman, charisma can get it done if allowed to be PCB chairman till then. He hasn't failed on any front as of now.
    I am afraid he is biting more than he can chew, but I do believe that he is the key to bringing cricket back to Pakistan. A lot of progress has been made in his tenure, and the image of Pakistan cricket has improved thanks to him.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4053 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Nothing is permanent in life, which is why patience is a virtue. Pakistan will host tournaments in the future, but that will only happen once teams like Australia, England, South Africa, India (subject to political constraints of course) tour Pakistan for a full series and play in multiple venues.

Before that happens, we need teams like Sri Lanka, West Indies and Bangladesh to play a full series in multiple venues. I think the annual affair of sneaking a T20 series in Lahore over the course of three days has reached its saturation point.

It is not going to benefit us anymore; we need to host an ODI series now, and perhaps a Test as well. The goal should be that by 2020, we convince Sri Lanka, Bangladesh or West Indies to make a full tour.

One step at a time.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not going to happen but no harm in trying.

Respect for Najam Sethi for at least trying and progressing our cricket structure forwards and in Alignment with the other larger boards.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eventually there would need to be a full tour to pakistan, however there is so much risk involved, everyone's always going to be scared there's going to be another attack. There will be an abundance of security, as if players have come to take part in war. And if any sort of thing did happen again, that's probably the last tour we see in pakistan in our life span. It's going to take a very long time for benefits to outweigh the risks.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its quite possible under PM Imran Khan, why not.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Looks difficult at the moment but we never know.

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It seems like someone from ICC leaked this news, won't be surprised if India will approve the tax waive for ICC in next few days...

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Connecticut
    Runs
    Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If this some how goes through, my tickets for all the matches are booked.

“I've never lost a game I just ran out of time.” Micheal Jordan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it happens; a big if though, India will never come. They will go to Afghanistan but not Pakistan. Hahaha

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pak can certainly host in UAE and may be few matches (against SL, WI ??) at home.. they can at least make an effort.. if it is T20 India may not want to host.. that might take some sheen off IPL.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silent ischemia View Post
    If it happens; a big if though, India will never come. They will go to Afghanistan but not Pakistan. Hahaha
    Actually if the political situation is good, India will visit Pakistan irrespective of security situation.. mark my word

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubol123 View Post
    Actually if the political situation is good, India will visit Pakistan irrespective of security situation.. mark my word
    How can it improve if you start pointing finger after every incident before any investigation. There is a lot of mistrust between the two neighbors

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup I have a feeling there is more chance of India touring before Australia or England does.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silent ischemia View Post
    How can it improve if you start pointing finger after every incident before any investigation. There is a lot of mistrust between the two neighbors
    yeah, it may not happen.. But if the political situation improves, India will not hesitate. If Pak takes steps against someone like Hafeez situation might improve next year (after Indian elections)

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will remain a pipe dream,I fear

Debut
    May 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The source is the Ahmedabad Mirror. I am not sure that they have any idea or additional insight about the actual situation of the 2021 Champions Trophy.

Just playing on the well reported tax issue, and have created a story with Pakistan included for extra clicks and traction.

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Srinagar;Jammu and Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not going to happen and more so in 2021. For this to actually happen the PCB first have to convince all teams to tour Pakistan for bilateral series.

2021 looks too close at this point in time. Maybe upto that time PCB will have convinced almost all teams to tour Pakistan.

PCB needs to be patient and take one step at a time.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are all reports, and something which we arent even sure if true and not even a single official word about it and then i see a headline in one news website "Pakistan look to defend CT at home" and literally when i opened it, it was garbage of an article.

SIR DONALD BRADMAN ------SORRY, BUT NO ONE LIKE HIM

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish if this could happen...

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't think it will happen. We should try to host other teams for ODIs and tests instead of T20 series only.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone explain to me why the comp has to be in the same timezone?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, it may not happen.. But if the political situation improves, India will not hesitate. If Pak takes steps against someone like Hafeez situation might improve next year (after Indian elections)
    Wishful thinking. Modi is anti Pakistan and wont change his stance not when elections are around the corner

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R3verse Swing View Post
    Can someone explain to me why the comp has to be in the same timezone?
    so ICC can milk Indian market

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    having hope isn't bad, that is what humanity strives upon but you do have to be realistic aswell. Highly very unlikely that this will happen.

On a different note, how many stadiums are there in UAE (icc standards for international matches)?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianG00se View Post
    Wishful thinking. Modi is anti Pakistan and wont change his stance not when elections are around the corner
    that is the reason for saying after elections in brackets.. He traveled to Pak impromptu in the beginning of his term. If anybody can thaw the ice between the two countries it would be Modi as his motives will not be questioned much. It won't happen before elections

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Good luck, my best wishes.

....... Though, I don't wish it to happen - last time PCB brought one team to prove credibility, it stopped Int. cricket in PAK for 7 years & still mostly counting. CT consists of 7 other teams ....

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Good luck, my best wishes.

....... Though, I don't wish it to happen - last time PCB brought one team to prove credibility, it stopped Int. cricket in PAK for 7 years & still mostly counting. CT consists of 7 other teams ....
    Wrong, we know deep down where your wishes lie, Secondly the PCB since then has bought Zimbabwe, has hosted the PSL final, has bought the World Eleven players and has brought the SL players in Pakistan. So that is a lot of teams for credibility.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Wrong, we know deep down where your wishes lie, Secondly the PCB since then has bought Zimbabwe, has hosted the PSL final, has bought the World Eleven players and has brought the SL players in Pakistan. So that is a lot of teams for credibility.
    Don't use "we" here - that's foolish, you can talk about your personal opinion, which hardly disturbs my sleep. I don't want to tag other posters to expose you here.

Regarding credibility, as I said many times - it's like a flake of birds; everyone flies with 1st cracker, but comes back one by one. Regarding credibility - what Eleven, PCB can bring whole world; it has a ZERO value in terms of establishing credibility, unless IND, UK & AUS decides to send their team.

You are welcome to feel lots of confidence believing otherwise.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Don't use "we" here - that's foolish, you can talk about your personal opinion, which hardly disturbs my sleep. I don't want to tag other posters to expose you here.

Regarding credibility, as I said many times - it's like a flake of birds; everyone flies with 1st cracker, but comes back one by one. Regarding credibility - what Eleven, PCB can bring whole world; it has a ZERO value in terms of establishing credibility, unless IND, UK & AUS decides to send their team.

You are welcome to feel lots of confidence believing otherwise.
    Bringing other countries apart from India, UK and Australia will be a good start and is a step in the right direction and will expose the shallow excuses why the likes of UK, Australia and India are not touring Pakistan.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Bringing other countries apart from India, UK and Australia will be a good start and is a step in the right direction and will expose the shallow excuses why the likes of UK, Australia and India are not touring Pakistan.
    Good, this time you didn't predict what is in my mind. Do you think without IND, AUS, ENG - it'll or should remain an ICC Champions' Trophy?

PCB is run by either too clever or too dumb people - but one thing for sure, they do think most PAK fans are simpleton dumb; otherwise only idiots will try to sell such story to mass market.

And, they will be day dreaming if they believe that those Emirates will allow them to use their 3 mud beds for an ICC event with hosting rights to PCB, when they can arrange it themselves and keep the entire hosting money in their pocket. Next time, tell Nazam Sethi to sell more believable story.

If indeed CT is shifted from IND, it'll be hosted by BD or co hosted by BD-SRL (2 groups in 2 countries, SF at Colombo & Mirpur, Final at Mirpur)- you can mark this post.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Relax brothers MMHS is human he is bound to make some wrong predictions. Please cut him some slack as he makes more valid points then not and he has much more knowledge about our cricket then most of our posters here, the amount of effort he puts in most of his posts regarding pak cricket he dont put anywhere near as much effort in to posts regarding Bangla, beleive me I know a Pak well wisher when I see one or in this case read one lol

Anyhows back on topic it's obviously highy unlikely cricket will FULLY (top sides touring) return to Pak in the couple years let alone hosting ICC event, MMHS is very realistic as we are optimistic.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashmirilion View Post
    Relax brothers MMHS is human he is bound to make some wrong predictions. Please cut him some slack as he makes more valid points then not and he has much more knowledge about our cricket then most of our posters here, the amount of effort he puts in most of his posts regarding pak cricket he dont put anywhere near as much effort in to posts regarding Bangla, beleive me I know a Pak well wisher when I see one or in this case read one lol

Anyhows back on topic it's obviously highy unlikely cricket will FULLY (top sides touring) return to Pak in the couple years let alone hosting ICC event, MMHS is very realistic as we are optimistic.
    Looks like mere shaks shahi nikla - that "we" was foolish.

Anyway, back to topic - here, people around PCB knows better than anyone what I have written. In fact, it's more realistic to solve issues and host in PAK, may be in 2025 than hosting in a 3rd country when that country itself can host and earns million. It's an ICC event - initially it was hosted by BD & Kenya, without local participation;it can be hosted by UAE, even Canada or Ireland - why call PCB and give them almost entire media rights?

And, this game of tricking people is not new - I can tell you what was the dialog between Zaka Ashraf & BCB ...... landing in PAK, he sold double rummy and still some posters here believe BCB back-stabbed

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "you may say I'm a dreamer ...but I'm not the only one"

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashmirilion View Post

By the way, that was never a prediction - even if you take it by word.

First, it's stupid to talk about ranking position, because ICC ranks 12 teams in ODI & I am not like posters here to bring ranking with Kenya.

2nd, as I explained many times - ICC has fixed the WC with 10 teams, till 2023, may be it'll go to 12, 14 even 16 later, BUT it won't ever be a free ride for every team. At one point, like soccer ICC has to come up with regional qualifiers + host & automatic qualifier. Which, roughly I can see is 12 teams, top 6/7 qualifies, + host. rest 4/5 will come from qualifiers and this won't be what is happening now if ICC is to expand the game. Rather it'll be regional qualifier - 2 from Asia, 1 from Oceania, 1 for Europe..... My point was - unless domestic system improves, at one point PAK might have to play qualifiers - which brings AFG, Kenya, Nepal in equation.
    Last edited by UN talkz; 15th February 2018 at 09:24.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol good luck taking away an ICC tournament from India. As if India will sit by idly and let a bonanza slip from their hands.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The PCB is the only board in Asia which can keep the BCCI in check

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PCB is the only board in Asia which can keep the BCCI in check
    C'mon! You cannot be serious. Are you saying that what the BCCI is doing is because it's being kept in check?

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's more concerning is that they are planning to change the format into T20s.

T20 overload

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USofA View Post
    C'mon! You cannot be serious. Are you saying that what the BCCI is doing is because it's being kept in check?
    It is not good to suddenly wake up anyone who is sleepwalking. Better that they wake up on their own. Pak posters and their delusions of grandeur...

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PCB won't be getting any ICC tournament in the next 15 years atleast. Indian cricket lobby won't allow that.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    By the way, that was never a prediction - even if you take it by word.

First, it's stupid to talk about ranking position, because ICC ranks 12 teams in ODI & I am not like posters here to bring ranking with Kenya.

2nd, as I explained many times - ICC has fixed the WC with 10 teams, till 2023, may be it'll go to 12, 14 even 16 later, BUT it won't ever be a free ride for every team. At one point, like soccer ICC has to come up with regional qualifiers + host & automatic qualifier. Which, roughly I can see is 12 teams, top 6/7 qualifies, + host. rest 4/5 will come from qualifiers and this won't be what is happening now if ICC is to expand the game. Rather it'll be regional qualifier - 2 from Asia, 1 from Oceania, 1 for Europe..... My point was - unless domestic system improves, at one point PAK might have to play qualifiers - which brings AFG, Kenya, Nepal in equation.
    Doubt we'll ever go to regional qualifiers for the world cup with so few teams. You run into problems with deciding how many teams from each region with such a small amount of places up for grabs.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedzee View Post
    PCB won't be getting any ICC tournament in the next 15 years atleast. Indian cricket lobby won't allow that.
    If IPL grows the way BCCI is envisioning, India will not be too keen to host WC T20s in India. They won't let go ODI WC so easily, but by the time Pakistan is ready to host the ICC tournaments, India may not be all that excited to host them. It is not like they will go out of their way to avoid hosting, but they won't make a big pitch either. this will take atleast a decade to pan out and Pak will need atleast much time to have any realistic chance of hosting a tournament at home.

Everyone is also forgetting the fact that hosting in India is the most profitable to ICC and thereby to all member countries.. That is the reasons ICC will look at India to host at least one major ICC tournament every decade

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedzee View Post
    Hence the reason why the PCB approach of taking the fight to the BCCI and annoying the hell out of them is the right one.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hence the reason why the PCB approach of taking the fight to the BCCI and annoying the hell out of them is the right one.
    Exactly and we should proud of PCB finally having the guts to request the ICC for hosting an ICC tournament.

What is the harm in bidding?If we bid right now even uf we don't host it we can convince ICC and we might get to host a later version eg. 2025 CT or 2022 WT20.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2021 seems very unlikely. I highly doubt Big 3 and maybe NZ would tour to Pakistan for Champions Trophy in 2021.

PCB should pursue for 2025 Champions Trophy and 2027 WC.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedgreen4ever View Post
    Exactly and we should proud of PCB finally having the guts to request the ICC for hosting an ICC tournament.

What is the harm in bidding?If we bid right now even uf we don't host it we can convince ICC and we might get to host a later version eg. 2025 CT or 2022 WT20.
    WT20 are now every 4 years. There is a WT20 in 2020 in Aus. So, the next one would be in 2024.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is possible that they could host the tournament in UAE and only the final in Pakistan by 2021 as it would be a huge step forward for Pakistan. A lot can happen between now and 2021 with more and more of PSL being held in Pakistan and time to arrange more intl. tours in Pakistan, an arrangement similar to either last year or this year's PSL (SF and Final in Pakistan) could be possible if India are willing to give up hosting rights which I think is unlikely.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianG00se View Post
    WT20 are now every 4 years. There is a WT20 in 2020 in Aus. So, the next one would be in 2024.
    No they changed it back to the 2 year cycle

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dang it!!

I was hoping for some matches in Pune.

Why is PCB bullying BCCI again and again?

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    Doubt we'll ever go to regional qualifiers for the world cup with so few teams. You run into problems with deciding how many teams from each region with such a small amount of places up for grabs.
    If the game is to expand - it has to go at regional level. Here WC is the apple, which should bring other nations (where a particular sports isn't popular) to improve their infrastructure and focus of developing.

For example take soccer - in 60s, 70s, 80s had there not been regional quota, hardly any African or Asian team would have made the 16/24 team cut and we might not have ever seen the African football; even Asians are catching up.

Soccer might be a global game, but I give one more appropriate example - Field Hockey. Since WC is coming, few days back, I was just going through the rankings - to my surprise, found Argentina as No. 2 in world now ..... same Argentina, which from the tiny space among Soccer, Basketball, Volleyball ... played in World Cup/Olympics only for that South American quota.

Unless, ICC gives a protection to other continents, Cricket will become a South Asian (& may be partial Commonwealth) game. We have to bring USA, Canada and few European, African countries - may be through back door.

Ideally, it should be 16 teams with host + top 6 qualifies directly. Then may be for rest 9 spots, you make 4 Zones - 1. Asia - Oceania (3), Africa (2), Europe (2), America (2). Already Denmark & Netherlands has lost identity, Namibia & Kenya in the process, and unless there is some regional quota, AFG, Nepal, Maldwip, Malaysia, PNG ... Scotland, Ireland will get undue advantage for the proximity of established cricket nations.

A 4 times world champion didn't make 2014 WC, just after 24 years of winning the last title, and this year 4 times soccer WC winner, didn't make it to Russia - hence, I don't think playing in WC is a birth right; one can demand automatic qualification, just because once they were good.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    ^^

Just to add one country backed by their system won a WC in 1990, then again in 2014 ... ironically another country won a WC in 1990, backed by an unreal individual talent - and it didn't qualify for the 2014 WCs...... take a guess - probably you should realize where the example of AFG, Kenya came from.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ideally, it should be 16 teams with host + top 6 qualifies directly. Then may be for rest 9 spots, you make 4 Zones - 1. Asia - Oceania (3), Africa (2), Europe (2), America (2). Already Denmark & Netherlands has lost identity, Namibia & Kenya in the process, and unless there is some regional quota, AFG, Nepal, Maldwip, Malaysia, PNG ... Scotland, Ireland will get undue advantage for the proximity of established cricket nations.
    Using the latest rankings and world cricket league as a basis for what team you'd expect to qualify if this system was in place you'd end up with a world cup in 2019 of :

England
    India
    South Africa
    New Zeland
    Australia
    Pakistan
    Bangladesh

Sri Lanka
    Afghanistan
    Hong Kong

Zimbabwe
    Kenya

Ireland
    Netherlands

West Indies
    Canada

Suddenly you'd have teams like Scotland, PNG, Nepal, UAE missing out to inferior teams like Canada simply because of what is essentially a quota for teams from certain regions.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Using the latest rankings and world cricket league as a basis for what team you'd expect to qualify if this system was in place you'd end up with a world cup in 2019 of :

England
    India
    South Africa
    New Zeland
    Australia
    Pakistan
    Bangladesh

Sri Lanka
    Afghanistan
    Hong Kong

Zimbabwe
    Kenya

Ireland
    Netherlands

West Indies
    Canada

Suddenly you'd have teams like Scotland, PNG, Nepal, UAE missing out to inferior teams like Canada simply because of what is essentially a quota for teams from certain regions.

That was just an example. Such numbers are done based on the rankings and contemporary performance- for example, for UCL, UEFA doesn't allocate 4 Teams from Spain, England & Germany and 2 from Portugal by random numbers.

If Nepal is really that good and Canada that poor, may be instead of 3-2, they can go for 4-1, or combine Africa - America together for 3. Or like soccer, there could be half slot - like 6th team from South America play-offs with Oceania winners.

Bottom line is you have to expand the WC and give emerging teams a better odds to qualify. Do you think, in that hypothetical scenario, Canada over Nepal or Scotland is a bigger injustice than say Italy, Netherlands, Chile, Turkey missing out to Panama, Iran, Japan, Saudi Arab, Tunisia ...?

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That was just an example. Such numbers are done based on the rankings and contemporary performance- for example, for UCL, UEFA doesn't allocate 4 Teams from Spain, England & Germany and 2 from Portugal by random numbers.

If Nepal is really that good and Canada that poor, may be instead of 3-2, they can go for 4-1, or combine Africa - America together for 3. Or like soccer, there could be half slot - like 6th team from South America play-offs with Oceania winners.

Bottom line is you have to expand the WC and give emerging teams a better odds to qualify. Do you think, in that hypothetical scenario, Canada over Nepal or Scotland is a bigger injustice than say Italy, Netherlands, Chile, Turkey missing out to Panama, Iran, Japan, Saudi Arab, Tunisia ...?
    Yes, expand the World Cup if you want by expanding the amount of teams in the World Cup qualifiers/the amount of teams that progress from them, but don't do it by introducing a system where you can get lucky with a far easier pass into the tournament depending on where in the world your country is.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Yes, expand the World Cup if you want by expanding the amount of teams in the World Cup qualifiers/the amount of teams that progress from them, but don't do it by introducing a system where you can get lucky with a far easier pass into the tournament depending on where in the world your country is.

Don't brag it buddy - I explained your 2nd post, with perfect examples of Italy & Panama and they do that in every other major sports - Rugby, Field Hockey, Basketball, Volleyball....

What you are saying, for that you don't need any qualifier - host + start to pull as many teams you want in WC as per the ranking on the cut off date. This year, that qualifier isn't required either - take 9th & 10th team straight to WC 2019. While, instead of 2 years long qualifier, FIFA can pull top 31 teams from ranking & send to Russia.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Don't brag it buddy - I explained your 2nd post, with perfect examples of Italy & Panama and they do that in every other major sports - Rugby, Field Hockey, Basketball, Volleyball....

What you are saying, for that you don't need any qualifier - host + start to pull as many teams you want in WC as per the ranking on the cut off date. This year, that qualifier isn't required either - take 9th & 10th team straight to WC 2019. While, instead of 2 years long qualifier, FIFA can pull top 31 teams from ranking & send to Russia.
    "These other sports sports use qualification methods that increase the factor of luck instead of skill in qualifying for the World Cup in turn decreasing the quality of the tournament therefore we should change our perfectly fine qualification method in order to do the same." I don't get the logic.
    Last edited by HitWicket; Yesterday at 19:01.