Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Most stylish or elegant batsmen ever to play from the subcontinent(revised list)

Great batsmen on the sub-continent are known to posess a sublime art of their own-an oriental magic of it's own.They use their willows with a touch which is truly unique like that of a violinist or pianist.They also posess the creativity of painters or poets.In this list below I am listing in order of merit the supreme stylists and most elegant batsmen from the sub-continent.This is not an assesment of the overall merit of batsmen or their technical skill.It merely asseses them on the criteria of their style or elegance.So don't be surprised at Tendulkar being placed so low down or Miandad ,Gavaskar,Hanif Mohammad or Sehwag not included.I feel Zaheer and Azhar were unsurpassed with Vishy just a touch below.Sachin did not equal Azhar's artistry nor did Miandad have so much grace to his batting.Gavaskar and Hanif were technical masters but not artists like Zaheer or Vishy.Sehwag was a genius was much more about power and eye-coordination than grace or artistry.

1.Zaheer Abbas
    His simple touch would caress the best of deliveries to the fence.A master of the drive through extra cover who held bat like a painter's brush.Sadly not at his best against the short or bouncing ball ,but a master on a slow track.Equivalent of painter Rembrandt to the art of batting.

2.Mohammad Azharrudin

Surpassed any great batsmen in his leg-side play resembling a pianist tapping notes.Poessed wristwork of magical proportions and could leg-glance the best of deliveries penetrating the most impregnable of fields.Equivalent of a modern day Ranjit Singhji.Like Zaheer Abas a master against spin but uneasy against genuine pace or the short ball.

3.Gundappa Vishwanath
    Executed the square and late cut better than any batsmen in the history of the game and posessed a combination of a pull,hook and flick shot like no other batsmen.His play reminded you of a lotus blooming or a magician performing.A master against the bouncing ball and genuine pace.

4.Mushtaq Ali
    A contrast to partner Vijay Merchant who was a technical perfectionist.Mushtaq Ali held the willow with the touch of a magicians.Few batsmen were as inventive as Mushtaq in his era who had great depths of imagination.A much more elegant version of the modern day Virendra Sehwag.

5.Majid Khan
    Very close to Zaheer Abbas but also posessed cross-bat strokes.A batting genius on his day who played bad wickets as well as Viv Richards or Greg Chappell.An oriental equivalent of Viv Richards.

6.V.V.S.Laxaman
    Arguably the best player of genuine pace bowlin of his time who just dropped down his writs to send the ball scurrying to the fence.No batsmen of his time posessed such a magical touch.At his best on boucy tracks where his wristwork came in handy.

7.Roy Dias
    His strokes were a medley of those of Viv Richards and Greg Chappell.He would attack bowling with the might of an executioner but still posess the touch of a painter.Posessed the grace of a bird flying.

8.Sachin Tendulkar
    Although technically supreme still had an artistic dimension to his strokes.

9.Vijay Manjrekar
    In pure style surpassed Vijay Merchant or Hazare with imperious elegance

10.Mohsin Kan

Although he had a curtailed career he posessed style that few batsmen posessed in his generation.He could master bad wickets and flourished against great pace.Similar to Majid .

11.Mahela Jayewardene
    In full flow a majestic sight to watch executing the most delicate flicks and cut strokes like baker slicing a cake.

12.Asif Iqbal
    Marvellos footwork and wristwork posessing the charasterictic oriental touch.

13.Dilip Vengsarkar
    A treat to watch on the leg-sde reminiscent of Greg Chappel.Played pace with flourish.

14.Aravinda De'Silva
    Marvellos timing and wristwork .Brilliantly blended agression with touch art.

15.Sead Anwar
    One of the most elegant left-handed batsmen of all whose strokes reminded you of a flower blooming.

16.Sannath Jayasuriya
    Although posessing the agression of atiger alos posessed touch and grace.

17.Rahul Dravid

Even the wall had an element of artistic touch if we observe his wristwork.He blended Gavaskar's technique with Vishwanath's touch.

18.Salim Malik
    A cruder version of Zaheer Abbas but still lovely to watch.

19.Inzamam Ul Haq
    The modern day Asian equivalent of Viv Richards.Inspite of being an explosive hitter still posessed characteristic elegance.

20.Saurav Ganguly
    Reminded you of David Gower at his best.A batting king on the off-side.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kumar Sangakarra- just for that Cover Drive

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    No Colin Cowdrey?

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    No Colin Cowdrey?
    Only discussing Asian stylists.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Germany
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very very surprising that Mohammad Yousuf couldn't make it even in the top 20 ???

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Germany
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    An example of 1 innings from Yousuf..

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricwiz View Post
    An example of 1 innings from Yousuf..
    Maybe I should have added Him.Good suggestion No doubt a very valid consideration .thanks .

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Sanga should be there.

Sanath should not be.

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    sachin was very mechanical. and downright ugly in his fast few years.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Sangakarra should get a mention he was very easy on the eye, SRT at his peak wouldve been the most elegant and sty;ish bat of all time.

"Everything else seems so superfluous." ~ Albert Einstein on the Bhagavad-Gita

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Delhi,Bharat
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Jayasuria and stylish?

Azhar and VVS win it for me,especially VVS

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    yousuf should be in there tbh

If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Lahore, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    905 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Anwar was the most elegant batsman I have ever watched.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    746 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    No Colin Cowdrey?
    Clever :-)

Anyway, Azhar gets my vote.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No Colin Cowdrey?

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Venue
    FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mahela all the way !!!

Picasso

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Even though i don't link Sanga he deserves to be there in this list for sure and not Sanath.
    You should also try to make a list of least elegant batsmen of Asia who were amazingly successful and i would rate Sanath first in that not elegant but a great player nevertheless.Overall i would give it to Hayden.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Faisalabad.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wth, for me MoYo has to be up there in top 5 atleast. When style is the sole criteria, dare i say he is better than even tendu. The most stylish batsman for pak in last decade after Anwar, In current lot, Harris will be up there and he is a complete package potentially, and Mamoon's blind love Umar Amin is most stylish batsman in pak currently but problem is he just has style nothing else.

We Have Good Players Just Need to Find Good Selectors

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    VVS Laxman, Saeed Anwar & Mohd Yousuf were just too good to watch, pure poetry.

Proud Shehri of Misbah Ka Pakistan

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Mohsin Khan and Sanath Jayasuriya shouldn't be there. Yousuf and Sanga def should be.

"Nations are born in the hearts of poets, they prosper and die in the hands of politicians."-Iqbal

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And yea Rahul Draivd was a very good batsman but I would rate many players above him in style.

"Nations are born in the hearts of poets, they prosper and die in the hands of politicians."-Iqbal

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also no virendar shehwag.....he is pleasant to watch ....

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Thakor View Post
    Great batsmen on the sub-continent are known to posess a sublime art of their own-an oriental magic of it's own.They use their willows with a touch which is truly unique like that of a violinist or pianist.They also posess the creativity of painters or poets.In this list below I am listing in order of merit the supreme stylists and most elegant batsmen from the sub-continent.This is not an assesment of the overall merit of batsmen or their technical skill.It merely asseses them on the criteria of their style or elegance.So don't be surprised at Tendulkar being placed so low down or Miandad ,Gavaskar,Hanif Mohammad or Sehwag not included.I feel Zaheer and Azhar were unsurpassed with Vishy just a touch below.Sachin did not equal Azhar's artistry nor did Miandad have so much grace to his batting.Gavaskar and Hanif were technical masters but not artists like Zaheer or Vishy.Sehwag was a genius was much more about power and eye-coordination than grace or artistry.

1.Zaheer Abbas
    His simple touch would caress the best of deliveries to the fence.A master of the drive through extra cover who held bat like a painter's brush.Sadly not at his best against the short or bouncing ball ,but a master on a slow track.Equivalent of painter Rembrandt to the art of batting.

2.Mohammad Azharrudin

Surpassed any great batsmen in his leg-side play resembling a pianist tapping notes.Poessed wristwork of magical proportions and could leg-glance the best of deliveries penetrating the most impregnable of fields.Equivalent of a modern day Ranjit Singhji.Like Zaheer Abas a master against spin but uneasy against genuine pace or the short ball.

3.Gundappa Vishwanath
    Executed the square and late cut better than any batsmen in the history of the game and posessed a combination of a pull,hook and flick shot like no other batsmen.His play reminded you of a lotus blooming or a magician performing.A master against the bouncing ball and genuine pace.

4.Mushtaq Ali
    A contrast to partner Vijay Merchant who was a technical perfectionist.Mushtaq Ali held the willow with the touch of a magicians.Few batsmen were as inventive as Mushtaq in his era who had great depths of imagination.A much more elegant version of the modern day Virendra Sehwag.

5.Majid Khan
    Very close to Zaheer Abbas but also posessed cross-bat strokes.A batting genius on his day who played bad wickets as well as Viv Richards or Greg Chappell.An oriental equivalent of Viv Richards.

6.V.V.S.Laxaman
    Arguably the best player of genuine pace bowlin of his time who just dropped down his writs to send the ball scurrying to the fence.No batsmen of his time posessed such a magical touch.At his best on boucy tracks where his wristwork came in handy.

7.Roy Dias
    His strokes were a medley of those of Viv Richards and Greg Chappell.He would attack bowling with the might of an executioner but still posess the touch of a painter.Posessed the grace of a bird flying.

8.Sachin Tendulkar
    Although technically supreme still had an artistic dimension to his strokes.

9.Vijay Manjrekar
    In pure style surpassed Vijay Merchant or Hazare with imperious elegance

10.Mohsin Kan

Although he had a curtailed career he posessed style that few batsmen posessed in his generation.He could master bad wickets and flourished against great pace.Similar to Majid .

11.Mahela Jayewardene
    In full flow a majestic sight to watch executing the most delicate flicks and cut strokes like baker slicing a cake.

12.Asif Iqbal
    Marvellos footwork and wristwork posessing the charasterictic oriental touch.

13.Dilip Vengsarkar
    A treat to watch on the leg-sde reminiscent of Greg Chappel.Played pace with flourish.

14.Aravinda De'Silva
    Marvellos timing and wristwork .Brilliantly blended agression with touch art.

15.Sead Anwar
    One of the most elegant left-handed batsmen of all whose strokes reminded you of a flower blooming.

16.Sannath Jayasuriya
    Although posessing the agression of atiger alos posessed touch and grace.

17.Rahul Dravid

Even the wall had an element of artistic touch if we observe his wristwork.He blended Gavaskar's technique with Vishwanath's touch.

18.Salim Malik
    A cruder version of Zaheer Abbas but still lovely to watch.

19.Inzamam Ul Haq
    The modern day Asian equivalent of Viv Richards.Inspite of being an explosive hitter still posessed characteristic elegance.

20.Saurav Ganguly
    Reminded you of David Gower at his best.A batting king on the off-side.
    That's your opinion and I don't agree with it one tiny bit.

When you talk about style and elegance in Sub Continent, then the two top names are Muhammad Yousuf and Majid Khan.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anuk View Post
    ugly is really pushing it .
    Tendulkars straight drive and covre drive on the rise is unmatched .

" you don't play for the crowd, you play for your country " - MSD

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by proud_pakistani View Post
    And yea Rahul Draivd was a very good batsman but I would rate many players above him in style.
    Dravds shots where beautiful . especailly his coverdrive

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    lol what is Saeed Anwar doing at 15?

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    NYC, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atrocious list to be honest. Saeed Anwar at 15 and Yousuf missing altogether. Tendulkar stylish?

"I score a lot of runs (playing selfishly) and my team loses, what good are those runs? ."
    Inzi

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Ajmer , Rajasthan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who are surprised to see Sachin .Have you seen Sachin of 1990s bat ?

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    NYC, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ganguly was another ugly one. Sangakkara missing from the list.

"I score a lot of runs (playing selfishly) and my team loses, what good are those runs? ."
    Inzi

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Ajmer , Rajasthan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anuk View Post
    Too bad his career didn't only consist of his last few years.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Ajmer , Rajasthan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Harsh Thakor Please stop insulting Sir Viv.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    499 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rohit Sharma.Tailunt and style is only thing he has

The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricwiz View Post
    Very very surprising that Mohammad Yousuf couldn't make it even in the top 20 ???
    Ya. I am also surprised. He should have there at top 10

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asif iqbal and saeed anwar should have been in top 8.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Sachin can hardly be called stylish.

Technically perfect. Compact. Perfect balance.

All these yes.

But stylish?

No.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    812 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Even though i don't link Sanga he deserves to be there in this list for sure and not Sanath.
    You should also try to make a list of least elegant batsmen of Asia who were amazingly successful and i would rate Sanath first in that not elegant but a great player nevertheless.Overall i would give it to Hayden.
    You are missing one person who managed to be highly successful in one format despite not being elegant at all.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sachin was stylish but not as stylish as anwar, zaheer, vvs, azhar etc

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Casablanca
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Saeed Anwar for me easily!

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Frankly speaking, I have never understood why VVS and Yousuf are so hyped and Ganguly is not as far as elegance is concerned.

Debut
    Aug 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saeed Anwar - everything was so effortless!

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biggestdravidfan View Post
    @Harsh Thakor Please stop insulting Sir Viv.
    Please explain how I insulted Sir Viv Richards.I am his ardent admirer and stated that at his best Majid played like him an even Inzamam.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post

All these yes.

But stylish?

No.
    I agree,but he had his element of artistry when executing the straight drive or strokes in the 'V.'Not as delicate or wristy as Vishy or Azhar but at times pleasing to the eye just like Sunny Gavaskar who on occasions was lovely to watch.Rember Sunny's knock in 1983 at Ahmedbad v West Indies.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sanga should be there.

Sanath should not be.
    Good point,you may be right.However never forget the art in Sanath batting even in his lofted strokes.His wrists just guided the ball over the ropes-even for sixes.Reminded you of Gary Sobers.Mya be I erred in leaving out Sanath and Mohd Yousuf.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by proud_pakistani View Post
    I don't think Mohsin Khan and Sanath Jayasuriya shouldn't be there. Yousuf and Sanga def should be.
    Look back to Mohsin's best knocks in England and Australia in 1982 an 1983-84 and his batting in 1982 in Pakistan Mohsin displayed immense style against strong bowling attacks.Just watch his 200 at Lords and 152 at Melbourne or even his 70 in the 1983 world cup semi-final on fast pitch against West Indies.

Never forget the art in Sanath batting even in his lofted strokes.His wrists just guided the ball over the ropes-even for sixes.Reminded you of Gary Sobers.May be I erred in leaving out Sanath and Mohd Yousuf. Respect your point but still uphold Mohsin and Sanath.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Where there is no war!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Hanif Muhammad and Zaheer Abbas. Azhar as well.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Thakor View Post
    I agree,but he had his element of artistry when executing the straight drive or strokes in the 'V.'Not as delicate or wristy as Vishy or Azhar but at times pleasing to the eye just like Sunny Gavaskar who on occasions was lovely to watch.Rember Sunny's knock in 1983 at Ahmedbad v West Indies.
    Started watching cricket from mid 90s only.

Love your knowledge of the game bro.

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Mahela Jayawardene

Sangakkara use to bat ugly till about 2006. In early years, he would either bat every series with a difference stance, different grip or both.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The irony is, it's a "revised list".

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't believe Mohammad Yousuf is missing here!

Aanay do!

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't rate Mohammad Yousuf very highly as a batsman or as a person but the man was as stylish as they come. Beautiful to watch.

Aravinda de Silva is rated a little too low.

Sachin was the most dominating batsman in the 90s and far ahead of his contemporaries (Lara apart) but never the most stylish.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

All these yes.

But stylish?

No.
    He was surely stylish in 90s. His straight shots in V were great to watch. Then driving on up was so good to see.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He was playing some of his trademark shots in his last inning. It reminded me of his style in 90s.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saeed Anwar tops this list surely. In full flow I have not seen such an elegant batsman.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Murali Vijay is a treat to watch when in flow.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think Ranatunga was more stylish than any left handed batsman named in this "revised list".

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yup, Murali Vijay right up there among modern day batsmen. Touch of pure class

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ganguly should not be there , infact he was an eyesore .

DeSilva was one of the best to watch .

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
    I think Ranatunga was more stylish than any left handed batsman named in this "revised list".
    Ranatunga ?

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    Mumbai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have heard that VVS modeled his batting on Azhar and Azhar modeled his on some Jaisimha guy. Was Jaisimha too an elegant batsman?

I am not one of those who when expressing opinions confine themselves to facts.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Bay area, CA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can you leave out Wasim Raja?

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saeed Anwar
    Mohammad Yousuf
    Rahul Dravid

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Garhwal Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Murali Vijay, with the new found consistency, he deserves a mention. Treat to watch, beautiful batsman.

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No mention of Gavaskar? Gavaskar was very stylish on the offside, particularly the late cut down to the third man boundary. His straight drive and the whip on the onside were stylish as well. His dead bat was also very stylish and so were his leaves - he was a batsman who looked stylish in both attack and defense!

"This one doesn't take the cake, it takes the bakery" - Gavaskar

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianWillow View Post
    No mention of Gavaskar? Gavaskar was very stylish on the offside, particularly the late cut down to the third man boundary. His straight drive and the whip on the onside were stylish as well. His dead bat was also very stylish and so were his leaves - he was a batsman who looked stylish in both attack and defense!
    He almost made it but I just preferred Ganguly by a whisker or Inzamam.Gavaskar was much more defensive while being a left-hander added to dada's elegance.On his day Sunny was an epitome of grace-when he set out to attack.Yet mot the same calibre of artistry of Azhar,Vishy,Gower,Mark Waugh etc.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samplepiece View Post
    I have heard that VVS modeled his batting on Azhar and Azhar modeled his on some Jaisimha guy. Was Jaisimha too an elegant batsman?
    Did not see him but heard of his prowess.May well have been elegant.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iafzal View Post
    How can you leave out Wasim Raja?
    Just missed out No doubt,stylish .Sorry if I erred.Good point.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    499 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

All these yes.

But stylish?

No.
    What you said applies more to guys like Kallis and Dravid.

Sachin always had that 'wow' factor in his shots like straight punch,backfoot punch,hook shot etc

Atleast for me

The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurav View Post
    What you said applies more to guys like Kallis and Dravid.

Sachin always had that 'wow' factor in his shots like straight punch,backfoot punch,hook shot etc

Atleast for me
    Elegance yes but stylish...maybe some shots but not everything.

But the word style is used in the conventional sense.

Sachin was pretty to watch.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Stylish batsmen from the current Indian team

Murali Vijay, Rohit and Ashwin.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Who were the most elegant, stylish or graceful batsmen from the sub-continent?

This is my selection in order of merit of the most stylish batsmen ever to have played from the Asian sub-continent.

1.Zaheer Abbas/Mohammad Azharuddin

3.Majid Khan

4.Gundapa Vishwanath

5.Mushtaq Ali

6.V.V.S.Laxman

7.Roy Dias

8.Vijay Manjrekar

9.Mahela Jayawardene

10.Yuvraj Singh

11.Saeed Anwar/Mohsin Khan

I just cannot seperate Zaheer and Azhar.Both represented the ultimate epitome of cricketing poetry whose strokes posessed the grace of the divine.An Azharuddin leg-glance or a Zaheer Abbas drive through extra cover displayed the beauty of batting at it's highest zenith.Although more savage Majid Khan's strokes to had elegance of the sublime while Vishwanath's best strokes resemembled a lotus blossominng.Majid and Vishy could execute strokes that were surreal.Muhtaq Ali at his best resembled a magician .V.V.S.Laxman took batting artistry to regions even Tendulkar did not reach.Roy Dias's strokes had the touches of a pianist at his best .Vijay Manjrekar was a supreme stylist.Mahela strokes were often reminiscent of the sound of a flute.Yuvraj would send the ball over the ropes with the deftest of touches.Even when pulverizing opposition both Mohsin Khan and Saed Anwar 's shots displayed feline grace.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Kumar Sangakara
    VVS Laxman
    Saeed Anwar

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you talks about elegance then i would add one more name here -- Mohammad Yousaf,

But if you look at in another prospective elegance with aggression then it would be as follows:

Saeed Anwar
    Yuvraj Singh

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about Attapatu?

Personally, Mahela, VVS, Saed Anwar.. Didn't saw Abbas and a couple of more names at top while Azhar was pretty elegant too.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody likes MoYo here?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most stylish player I've seen live is Mohammad Yousuf.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Essex
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one more elegant than MoYo in full flow.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No better stylish and elegent batsmen then Mohammed Yousaf..not only in Asia but the world.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Majid Khan, no one else came even close. But not many people in PP probably saw him batting.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No votes for Tendulkar? Ganguly on off side?

Saleem malik?

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chamara Kapugedera

[QUOTE=Mamoon;9742871]Don't see us ascending from 7th/6th in the near future. 5-0 in England and South Africa awaits us, we will be lucky to even draw one match. [/QUOTE]