Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"I plan to represent Australia in the World Twenty20 in 2020" : Usman Qadir

With the weight of expectations placed on his shoulders by virtue of being the son of the legendary Abdul Qadir, the 24-year-old Usman Qadir has had to endure some testing times in the past few years. The inability to break into the national side has been a source of great frustration for the young leg-spinner and it would appear that his patience with Pakistan’s system of selection even at domestic level has reached its limit as he spoke in detail about his plans to apply for Australian citizenship in an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net.

“I was offered Australian citizenship back in 2012 around the time when the Under-19 World Cup ended. At that time, I did not accept the offer on the advice of my father, as he felt that I had done well at the Under-19 level and had a bright future ahead with the Pakistan side. I went back to Pakistan and was ignored for selection from the national side. I then told the Pakistan Cricket Board that I am going back to Australia which prompted them to add my name to the Pakistan squad for the 2013 tour of West Indies. However, very close to the time of departure for the squad, my name was removed without any reason due to what can only be described as a case of ‘dislike’ for a certain player. It did not stop there, I was ignored for selection when I performed for Pakistan A even after I out-performed the likes of Yasir Shah. Later on, I was inducted in the Lahore Qalandars squad for the Pakistan Super League in 2017 but once again, I was not played in even one game. I recently came over to Australia a few months ago with Lahore Qalandars along with some other players too. Make no mistake, I really admire players like Salman Irshad and his performance in Grade B cricket in Australia, but despite my excellent Grade A cricket results in Australia, he was preferred over me for this year’s PSL by Lahore Qalandars, purely due to political reasons. But, thankfully, I am not concerned by all that as I now have a chance to play in Australia, thanks to former Australia player Justin Langer’s advice and assistance. I want to make my father proud, but I cannot do that by languishing in Pakistan and waiting for opportunities which will never arise.”

The prospect of Usman playing in Australia must be a matter of concern for Abdul Qadir whose services for his country are well known. Indeed, it had been Abdul Qadir who had first advised Usman to seek his fortunes in the country of his birth. It would appear that, even the die-hard commitment of Abdul Qadir to ensure his son represents his country seems to be wavering as Usman explained.

“I think my father was shocked and taken aback in the manner I have been ignored by the selectors in Pakistan and reality seems to have set in. I reminded my father that I had never depended on nepotism or connections for selection as there was no challenge in that for a cricketer like me. I think even a steadfast patriotic person like my father finally saw the light and told me that I should seek my fortune in Australia and I would have his full support.”

Whilst leaving one’s country of birth and making Australia his home may look like a daunting move for any young player, Usman has a plan to make this a reality and is clear about his next steps, “My goal is clear. I plan to represent Australia in the World Twenty20 in 2020 in Australia. I wish to use the same process of acquiring the ‘Distinguished Talent Visa’, which Fawad Ahmed also used to allow him to play for Australia. This visa allows any talented sportsman to gain permanent residency in Australia and this is the path I wish to follow as well.”

Having the desire to play for a country like Australia is an admirable goal but as Usman Qadir explained, he believes he also has the talent and skills to beat the tough competition in Australia to find a place in the national team and make his wish come true.

“One must always have confidence in one’s abilities. This has always been the case for me and for a good reason because as my stats from Under 19 or Pakistan A tours prove, I have always performed in an outstanding manner. I am fortunate to be hoping to play in a system which is structured to ensure that the best talent comes to the fore. They keep an eye on each player in the system to monitor his performance; they even keep an eye on which batting position a player is batting in. No small detail escapes the eyes of the administrators in Australia. What I am really looking forward to is to show the world that I will be moving ahead in my career based purely on my talent and not due to connections which seems to be the case in Pakistan. It is a little sad though that even if I do succeed in Australia, many people will still say that Usman is Abdul Qadir’s son and that is why he is playing there. Unfortunately, no one will talk about the hard work which goes behind success in a place like Australia.”

Of course, Usman Qadir will not be the first or the last Pakistan player to have left his country to explore better prospects for himself elsewhere. The case of Imran Tahir serves as an excellent example of a player who was struggling to make a name for himself in Pakistan but has become famous since his migration to South Africa. For Usman Qadir, there can be no better example than Imran Tahir to show him that success is possible by moving to another country where he is appreciated more.

“Imran Tahir has shown how one can rise to the top by moving to an environment where one is valued for his skills and not whom he knows. He is like a brother to me and we speak on a regular basis and his advice on my move to Australia will always be very useful. He isn’t the only one I ask for advice as I have an excellent network of family and friends who are there to help me out.”

Leaving one’s home country and settling in a foreign land to play cricket for Australia sounds like a tough task in emotional terms, but for Usman Qadir there is no element of guilt involved in this decision as he feels that he has suffered a lot due to the vagaries of the system in Pakistan. Whilst he will be the first one to acknowledge his roots, he has no remorse about moving to what he sees as greener pastures where he has a chance to shine and prove his mettle, “I have no regrets at all about making the move to Australia as I have tried my best in Pakistan and all doors to selection have been systemically closed on my face. I will take this next part of my career as a challenge to face and overcome, in the same way I have done so far. It seems that in Pakistan being related to a famous former cricketer disqualifies you from selection, in the same way it’s to others. In Australia, there is no such issue where players like Shaun Marsh and Mitchell Marsh are representing Australia. The same applies to Mark Waugh’s son as well. But in Pakistan, this seems to be an issue and players like I suffer due to this. All this is in the past and my goal now is to play for Australia in 2020 and I know that I am in a place where my performance and not petty politics will decide my future”, he concluded.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good luck to the guy.But his Fc stats are not impressive to be even considered for A tours,

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the first time I have heard someone saying that it hurts their chances of getting selected if they are related to some former cricketer.
    Don't get too ahead of yourself mate, just keep your head down and work hard. It's not like Australia doesnt have a single spinner. With Lyon, Zampa, Swepson, Pope and Agar in the line up, I can't see Usman getting ahead of these. Plus I don't believe he was able to outperform Yasir Shah in 4 day cricket after 2011.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck to him, but I don't see how he could've been selected for the Pak team I don't see any performances to grant a selection.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please! You gotta be kiddin' me! I just don't see him turning out for the Aussies. He will just be another few matches wonder like Fawad Khan if he manages to get a cap. Getting in to the Aussie side is much harder then doing so for Pak.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    Please! You gotta be kiddin' me! I just don't see him turning out for the Aussies. He will just be another few matches wonder like Fawad Khan if he manages to get a cap. Getting in to the Aussie side is much harder then doing so for Pak.
    As a spinner its easier, especially in their one day set up as they lack a good spinner in their LOI cricket. Not saying Qadir is the guy but its easier to compete with the like of Zampa, Swepson, Holland, Boyce then it is to compete with Shadab, Yasir, Asghar, Mir, Raza, Irfan etc

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    As a spinner its easier, especially in their one day set up as they lack a good spinner in their LOI cricket. Not saying Qadir is the guy but its easier to compete with the like of Zampa, Swepson, Holland, Boyce then it is to compete with Shadab, Yasir, Asghar, Mir, Raza, Irfan etc
    Don't know who or how good the Aussie spinners are at the moment. For us only Shadab is playing these days. Don't even know if Usman is any better then his many brothers who have represented Pak at U-19 level.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Australia is the toughest place to bowl leg spin. Big names, one after the other, have all come undone on tracks there except for Warne and McGill both of whom had outstanding skill.

Good luck to Usman but of all the places to choose, he's picked the toughest one to succeed as a leg spinner.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good luck to him. A shame he gave up on playing for Pakistan.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good for him , his father was a legend but that does not mean he gets a direct entry into PAK team, and i cant agree with his statment that his performance is better then yasir

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Finally he got the message. Doesn't have any talent but still wants to play for Pakistan.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Karachi [Pakistan], Feb 19 (ANI): After being repeatedly ignored by the Pakistan selectors, Usman Qadir, son of Pakistani spin bowler Abdul Qadir, has revealed that he is planning to represent Australia in the World Twenty20 in 2020.

The failure to break into the national side and the expectations placed on his shoulders by virtue of being the son of legendary Abdul Qadir, Usman's patience seems to have reached its limit as he spoke about his plans to apply for Australian citizenship.

Usman revealed that he was offered Australian citizenship back in 2012 during the Under-19 World Cup, but he ignored the same.

"I was offered Australian citizenship back in 2012 around the time when the Under-19 World Cup ended. At that time, I did not accept the offer on the advice of my father, as he felt that I had done well at the Under-19 level and had a bright future ahead with the Pakistan side. I went back to Pakistan and was ignored for selection from the national side. I then told the Pakistan Cricket Board that I am going back to Australia which prompted them to add my name to Australia which prompted them to add my name to the Pakistan squad for the 2013 tour of West Indies. However, very close to the time of departure for the squad, my name was removed without any reason due to what can only be described as a case of 'dislike' for a certain playerKarachi [Pakistan], Feb 19 (ANI): After being repeatedly ignored by the Pakistan selectors, Usman Qadir, son of Pakistani spin bowler Abdul Qadir, has revealed that he is planning to represent Australia in the World Twenty20 in 2020.

The failure to break into the national side and the expectations placed on his shoulders by virtue of being the son of legendary Abdul Qadir, Usman's patience seems to have reached its limit as he spoke about his plans to apply for Australian citizenship.

Usman revealed that he was offered Australian citizenship back in 2012 during the Under-19 World Cup, but he ignored the same.

"I was offered Australian citizenship back in 2012 around the time when the Under-19 World Cup ended. At that time, I did not accept the offer on the advice of my father, as he felt that I had done well at the Under-19 level and had a bright future ahead with the Pakistan side. I went back to Pakistan and was ignored for selection from the national side. I then told the Pakistan Cricket Board that I am going back to Australia which prompted them to add my name to ," the Pakpassion.net quoted Usman as saying.

The 24-year-old further revealed that his selection issues did not stop there as he continued to being snubbed even out-performing the likes of Yasir Shah for Pakistan A.

"I recently came over to Australia a few months ago with Lahore Qalandars along with some other players too. Make no mistake, I really admire players like Salman Irshad and his performance in Grade B cricket in Australia, but despite my excellent Grade A cricket results in Australia, he was preferred over me for this year's PSL by Lahore Qalandars, purely due to political reasons," he said.

However, Usman said that he now could no longer afford to wait for opportunities which will never arise in Pakistan and, therefore, looking to make his father proud by representing Australia.

"My goal is clear. I plan to represent Australia in the World Twenty20 in 2020 in Australia. I wish to use the same process of acquiring the 'Distinguished Talent Visa', which Fawad Ahmed also used to allow him to play for Australia. This visa allows any talented sportsman to gain permanent residency in Australia and this is the path I wish to follow as well," he said.

Usman has appeared in eight first-class matches for Pakistan taking seven wickets, while he made 17 List A matches bagging 15 wickets.

https://www.aninews.in/news/sports/c...2191614590001/
    Last edited by UN talkz; 19th February 2018 at 10:12.

[QUOTE=Mamoon;9742871]Don't see us ascending from 7th/6th in the near future. 5-0 in England and South Africa awaits us, we will be lucky to even draw one match. [/QUOTE]

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your heart says Pakistan but your wallet says Australia, you're never going to be successful.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He compares himself to a newbie fast bowler... just shows the sense of entitlement in the lad...

Funny how he thinks he will be given the distinguished talent visa... last played grade cricket in 2013...... so has he got a contract with anyone yet?

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some have self confidence this one is too over confident and cocky.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Scot-la-la-land
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1600 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm glad that he "never depended on nepotism or connections for selection", however, how does he feel about depending on good performances when it comes to selection?

I wish the guy all the best & if he finds success in Australia - good on him.

Having said that - the irony is that if his last name wasn't Qadir, this wouldn't even be news worthy and he wouldn't even be getting any media attention whatsoever. Therefore in a round about way he is relying on nepotism and connections to get media attention.

He's right in saying Tahir has done very well for himself and it could be argued that he 'slipped through the cracks' of the Pakistani system. However, with the likes of Ajmal, Yasir and Shadab around - it could also be argued that Tahir rightfully wouldn't have been able to make it into the national team.

Look at Fawad Ahmed. When he moved to Aus there was a lot of chat about "another one slipping through the system", however, here we are 5 years since he last played for Aus - and that too - after an international career spanning a total of 5 limited over international matches.

The fact is that Usman has not put in the consistent performances which warrant such chat. If this was coming from someone like Fawad Alam or Saddaf Hussain it would make sense, but not from Usman.

To be brutally honest - the bottom line of all this (in my mind) is that Usman has bought into the hype which has been built around him by the media thanks to the "Qadir" name. Due to this, rather than being willing to put in the hard yards and work for his place in the national team, he is willing to take what he seems to be the "easy way out", even though he has convinced himself that he is "doing the right thing".

Anyway - that's just my interpretation of the situation and I may be way off the mark. Regardless - all the best to Usman and good luck to him with his career down under. If he is even half as good as he thinks he is, at the very least he should be able to secure a decent career as a domestic cricketer in Australia.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ‪If im not mistaken, it was Lahore Qalandars who had brought him back in the cricketing folds with PSL given his lacklustre performance in FC Cricket. Qalandars chose him for touring Australia and see what he’s given back. Not good‬

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 8 First Class matches, he has taken 7 wickets after bowling 85 overs; I am sorry, why was he not selected to play for the world XI right away?

Seriously, even in List A matches, in 17 matches he has taken 15 wickets with an economy of 5.26.

T20's, he did not fare much better with 11 wickets in 13 games although his economy of 5.77 is def good but none of his stats are earth shattering like he is implying!

He actually has much better batting stats with averages of 19 (FC), 34 in Lista A (some NO's inflating the average though), and 14.66 in T20's...despite it all, I cannot see why any Int'l team gotta have him at all costs?
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 19th February 2018 at 15:54.

Sir Mamoon:
    Is Yasir a very good spinner? No - Is Yasir good enough for overseas Tests? No

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had some time so did research on the guy's performances in Australia. It's not complete, but hopefully an Australian forumer can elaborate and fill in the blanks.

TLDR version: He has a poor record in Pakistan. In Australia, he's played grade cricket for only two seasons- Nov'17-Feb '18, and Oct'Dec 2012. In Grade cricket he has a decent record, with his best performances coming in the 20:20 version (numbers wise they're pretty good). But it's unclear how good he actually is; certainly his claims of being discriminated against seem to hold little water.

Longer version:

He played Nov '17-Feb '18 First Grade last year for Hawkesbury Cricket Club, where he had a decent First Grade bowling performance and a very very impressive 20:20 record.

Link 1

Before that he's played 12 games in 2012 for the Adelaide cricket club. His 20:20 bowling performances were his best feature.

Link2

In 2012 also he also played 2 games in the Australian U23 4 day cricket competition with a pretty poor average:

Link3

While Australian Grade cricket is regarded as the best in the world below FC level, I have no idea what playing for the Hawkesbury club means, how good they are, what Qadir's average actually implies.

Of Usman's FC and List A bowling record in Pakistan, the less said the better. He has FC and List A bowling averages of 49+ and 41+, and the last time he was selected goes back to 2014.

All this is available in cricinfo: http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan...er/348152.html

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    To be fair to him, when LQ were hyping up the Kashmiri pace bowler after some good performances in Grade 2 cricket in Australia, this guy was doing well in Grade 1 cricket in Australia without a single mention.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryin Out Loud View Post
    I had some time so did research on the guy's performances in Australia. It's not complete, but hopefully an Australian forumer can elaborate and fill in the blanks.

TLDR version: He has a poor record in Pakistan. In Australia, he's played grade cricket for only two seasons- Nov'17-Feb '18, and Oct'Dec 2012. In Grade cricket he has a decent record, with his best performances coming in the 20:20 version (numbers wise they're pretty good). But it's unclear how good he actually is; certainly his claims of being discriminated against seem to hold little water.

Longer version:

He played Nov '17-Feb '18 First Grade last year for Hawkesbury Cricket Club, where he had a decent First Grade bowling performance and a very very impressive 20:20 record.

Link 1

Before that he's played 12 games in 2012 for the Adelaide cricket club. His 20:20 bowling performances were his best feature.

Link2

In 2012 also he also played 2 games in the Australian U23 4 day cricket competition with a pretty poor average:

Link3

While Australian Grade cricket is regarded as the best in the world below FC level, I have no idea what playing for the Hawkesbury club means, how good they are, what Qadir's average actually implies.

Of Usman's FC and List A bowling record in Pakistan, the less said the better. He has FC and List A bowling averages of 49+ and 41+, and the last time he was selected goes back to 2014.

All this is available in cricinfo: http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan...er/348152.html

So, while sitting at home for last 3-4 years, he expected to be picked up by the National side or A Team or PSL, how?

From what I can gather from his stats on that cricket site, he is more of a batting all rounder than a bowler jusging purely on his numbers that I could see

Sir Mamoon:
    Is Yasir a very good spinner? No - Is Yasir good enough for overseas Tests? No

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    To be fair to him, when LQ were hyping up the Kashmiri pace bowler after some good performances in Grade 2 cricket in Australia, this guy was doing well in Grade 1 cricket in Australia without a single mention.
    You're right, but the Kashmiri guy is a pacer, not sure whether Qadir, as a leg spinner, was justified in comparing himself a pacer and citing a proof of favouritism. Maybe LQ needed a cheap pacer who'd done well in Australia (You guys would know better being close to the action)? He did pretty well in Grade 2. I agree it's lower than Grade 1, so the data may be useless. But FWIW

Link
    Salman Irshad

Quote Originally Posted by Monsee View Post
    So, while sitting at home for last 3-4 years, he expected to be picked up by the National side or A Team or PSL, how?

From what I can gather from his stats on that cricket site, he is more of a batting all rounder than a bowler jusging purely on his numbers that I could see
    I agree, more or less, with your first sentence.

However, look at the links again from my previous post- they are his bowling aggregates in First Grade cricket, which aren't bad at all.

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't edit previous post but another data set is that, tosubstantiate what Monsee said above, I can't find any record for him for any games in Pakistan or Australia for the three years 2014/15/16. He started playing again in 2017.

For his appearances in Pakistan, apart from cricinfo, you can check:

http://www.pcb.com.pk/player-detail....layer_id=24946

Perhaps his non appearances (if they are as such) for three years in a row worked against him?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryin Out Loud View Post
    You're right, but the Kashmiri guy is a pacer, not sure whether Qadir, as a leg spinner, was justified in comparing himself a pacer and citing a proof of favouritism. Maybe LQ needed a cheap pacer who'd done well in Australia (You guys would know better being close to the action)? He did pretty well in Grade 2. I agree it's lower than Grade 1, so the data may be useless. But FWIW

Link
    Salman Irshad
    I think he's referring to the hype for Salman Irshad, despite him playing in what was basically pretty low level club cricket.

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What i don’t understand about him is that he is complaining about not getting national selection, when he’s barely played any domestic cricket over the last couple of years.

And when he has, he’s been mediocre according to his stats.

Can some one explain to me why he’s complaining because it’s seems a bit unreasonable to me. Or am I missing something?

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why didn’t he play more domestic cricket in Pakistan?

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good luck mate , hopefully you will do much better than Imran Tahir.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post

“I was offered Australian citizenship back in 2012 around the time when the Under-19 World Cup ended. At that time, I did not accept the offer on the advice of my father, as he felt that I had done well at the Under-19 level and had a bright future ahead with the Pakistan side. I went back to Pakistan and was ignored for selection from the national side. .
    He expected to be selected in the international side ahead of the likes of Afridi,Ajmal, Zulfiqar Babar, Abdul Rehman and Shah based just on U-19 cricket?

Confidence is a good thing but too much of it could prove to be an issue in some cases.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    SW Uk
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His plan is to represent Australia

Pakistani cricketers always plan there route to the top when imigrating abroad, how about just being humble and hopfull, sound like Chris Eubank jr

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's with the blackmail lol, he's acting like he's gonna get the visa and then Aus will pick him - I don't think it's that streamlined lol.

"Be the best version of yourself"

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2020 wc?? That's too soon. His unlikely to get full citizenship until 2022 or so imo. Despite that, he seems to be underrating Australia's legspinners. Mitchell Swepson, Zampa, and Muirhead are pretty decent. Also, Lloyd Pope coming up. But it depends, I have a gut feeling Usman might make it to the Australian t20 squad at some stage- provided he excels in the BBL.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muhammad saad View Post
    Good luck mate , hopefully you will do much better than Imran Tahir.
    Imran Tahir has done really well in South Africa. He has achieved a lot more in South Africa than he would have if he stayed in Pakistan.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    He is rubbish. It will be a miracle if he gets picked for Australia. I think he would be looking for an alternate career in Australia in a few years.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    He is rubbish. It will be a miracle if he gets picked for Australia. I think he would be looking for an alternate career in Australia in a few years.
    may do well enough to get into a BBL side and earning a good living

either way, he is delusional

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All talk and no play, i don't see him getting anywhere near the international side, i'd like to see him play in grade cricket, score and spin the web, trust i personally played grade cricket here in sydney the type of players coming from overseas to play along with us, are packed with talent yet they struggle to get any lime light as there so many people that just turn up everywhere, to get in the Australian team , this guy is a country mile away, its sad state when you have to throw shades at your own country just to get residency and lime light in Australia ...

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    I would wait until 2020 before making too much fun of Usman.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    I would wait until 2020 before making too much fun of Usman.
    Why? What exactly has he achieved?

He is playing grade 1 cricket, which is still amateur cricket.... albeit it one or two professionals in the team maybe.

A guy playing amateur cricket is going to catapult into Australian national team in two years? In my calculation he has about a year to impress at club to get into the state sides or selection into bbl teams maybe.

Salman and Qadir played for the same club in the current season. I presume they probably have one overseas player rule in Aus like in UK, hence salman got shunted to grade 2.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It is not rare in cricket world to see players migrating from their homeland to play for another cricketing nation. Likes of Kevin Pietersen, Dirk Nannes, Eoin Morgan, Imran Tahir and many more such names are available. It takes time and process and each player has their own reason to not choose their homeland. Recently, Usman Qadir, son of legendary Pakistani spin bowler Abdul Qadir, clearly revealed his intentions for not playing for Pakistan and aiming to represent Australia.

The junior Qadir blamed Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and its selectors for ignoring him for long despite his performance. This was revealed after Usman posted a picture on Instagram on February 9 wearing a replica Australia jersey and a caption which read, “Goal 2020, green and gold I’m coming for you Inshallah”. Australia is hosting the World Twenty20 in 2020 and the young bowler has aimed for it. Usman alleged that he has been a performer on a constant basis while he hasn't got a national call but his peers, who have not performed, have been called for the Pakistan Cricket Team's national side. Now Usman's patience seems to have reached its limit and he is targetting Australia as the country to represent.

Usman revealed that he was offered Australian citizenship back in 2012 during the Under-19 World Cup, but PCB lured in him promising a national stint which never happened.

"I was offered Australian citizenship back in 2012 around the time when the Under-19 World Cup ended. At that time, I did not accept the offer on the advice of my father, as he felt that I had done well at the Under-19 level and had a bright future ahead with the Pakistan side. I went back to Pakistan and was ignored for selection from the national side. I then told the Pakistan Cricket Board that I am going back to Australia which prompted them to add my name to the Pakistan squad for the 2013 tour of West Indies. However, very close to the time of departure for the squad, my name was removed without any reason due to what can only be described as a case of 'dislike' for a certain player," the Pakpassion.net quoted Usman as saying.

The 24-year-old further revealed that his selection issues did not stop there as he continued to being snubbed even out-performing the likes of Yasir Shah for Pakistan A.

"I recently came over to Australia a few months ago with Lahore Qalandars along with some other players too. Make no mistake, I really admire players like Salman Irshad and his performance in Grade B cricket in Australia, but despite my excellent Grade A cricket results in Australia, he was preferred over me for this year's PSL by Lahore Qalandars, purely due to political reasons," he said.

However, Usman said that he now could no longer afford to wait for opportunities which will never arise in Pakistan and, therefore, looking to make his father proud by representing Australia.

"My goal is clear. I plan to represent Australia in the World Twenty20 in 2020 in Australia. I wish to use the same process of acquiring the 'Distinguished Talent Visa', which Fawad Ahmed also used to allow him to play for Australia. This visa allows any talented sportsman to gain permanent residency in Australia and this is the path I wish to follow as well," he said.

http://www.timesnownews.com/sports/c...rld-t20/201380

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    I think it's also worth mentioning that irrespective of how good or bad he is, he would have had more chances in Pakistan if his father was not Abdul Qadir, who is a strong critic of the current PCB regime.

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imran Tahir has done really well in South Africa. He has achieved a lot more in South Africa than he would have if he stayed in Pakistan.
    Yes, Tahir has actually set a very high standard for anyone who is citing him as an inspiration.

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the multiple successive posts- but but it occurred to me that we have gone deep into this thread without on single bowling video of the guy. I mean, we're predicting success and/or failure based on stats only, but how does he actually bowl?

I couldn't find much video evidence of his bowling unfortunately (there are some 2/3 puff pieces out there). I think that's because he only started playing last year after a 3/4 year (apparently) layoff.

Based on a casual net search, below are three balls. They don't say a lot, but it's better than nothing.

Last edited by Abdullah719; 22nd February 2018 at 22:32.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's also worth mentioning that irrespective of how good or bad he is, he would have had more chances in Pakistan if his father was not Abdul Qadir, who is a strong critic of the current PCB regime.
    Wrong. He's got more chances because his father is qadir, the kid isn't cut out for the top level.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    So is Irshad that bad Usman?

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is Australia really that bad? @Convict

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Dublin
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine that. A player thinking he can get into Australia's side after being rejected by Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    You know him because he is Qadir's son

As a player he is well behind guys like Shazaib

#MPGA

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Good to see him now signed up for BBL 8 by Perth Scorchers